KiwiInOz wrote:
Eskarina wrote:And boy, did I have fun. :D
Pole dancing?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... cc63c3.jpg
https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-28-2015/6d2sgR.gif

paddybrown

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by paddybrown »

Cnutella wrote:Oh hai guys, I just got woked by an article Vox that will surely blow the minds of all but the most progressive among you... And we all know that the Pit has no progressives.

Apparently, calling people racist is a bad way to engage with them and might even .ake the.more resistent to your message.

Even more amazingly, techniques like establishing a rapport, identifying common ground, and then explaining your perspective has a .uch better chance of changing someone's mind. I am starting to think that certain enclaves of the left might be going about this whole thing the wrong way.

The article's headline is "Research says there are ways to reduce racial bias. Calling people racist isn’t one of them."

It begins:
In 2016, researchers stumbled on a radical tactic for reducing another person’s bigotry: a frank, brief conversation.
The study, authored by David Broockman at Stanford University and Joshua Kalla at the University of California Berkeley, looked at how simple conversations can help combat anti-transgender attitudes. In the research, people canvassed the homes of more than 500 voters in South Florida. The canvassers, who could be trans or not, asked the voters to simply put themselves in the shoes of trans people — to understand their problems — through a 10-minute, nonconfrontational conversation. The hope was that the brief discussion could lead people to reevaluate their biases.

It worked. The trial found not only that voters’ anti-trans attitudes declined but that they remained lower three months later, showing an enduring result. And those voters’ support for laws that protect trans people from discrimination increased, even when they were presented with counterarguments for such laws.
http://archive.is/hHzci

What.
The.
Shit.
[youtube][/youtube]

feathers

Post by feathers »

Just wondering what ZZ Top was up to nowadays.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

feathers wrote:
Just wondering what ZZ Top was up to nowadays.
They invaded pole-land.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Did someone say pole dancing?

[youtube][/youtube]

(worth it for the NiN cover alone)

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Some hilarious word music (disguising typically cogent points) from Doctor Randomercam, riffing off the recent Piers-Morgan/Korwin-Mikke clip that's been doing the rounds:-

[youtube][/youtube]

My favourite verbal flourish: "Like a Frenchman trying to park a Sherman tank inside a breakfast pastry." :lol:

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

gurugeorge wrote:My favourite verbal flourish: "Like a Frenchman trying to park a Sherman tank inside a breakfast pastry." :lol:
I loved the "heaving clunk-fuck of a question" line :lol:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Bhurzum wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:My favourite verbal flourish: "Like a Frenchman trying to park a Sherman tank inside a breakfast pastry." :lol:
I loved the "heaving clunk-fuck of a question" line :lol:
Lop=sided fish wagon.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Regarding asexuality, I have no problem believing some people just have low libido, so I don't care to leap to the less charitable judgment that it's all just sour grapes.

However, people who don't wanna fuck have no reason to be a protected class. Still, they're not as bad as "poly" individuals.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

What's annoying me today you don't ask?

Why, my friend-0-sphere full of people banging on about What The Health a netflix vegan propaganda movie that a cursory inspection reveals to be full of 'all diseases are caused by meat' woo bullshit.

Make whatever ethical lifestyle choices you like, but don't let's pretend it's anything but.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

BBC just announced Jodie Whittaker as the new Dr Who, so the SJW pressure to have either a woman or POC pays off. You just know the pressure will just ramp up even more to have a POC next. Lol.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPEJZtJwQM8/U ... 16x9-1.jpg

Don't know much about her, but she looks like hot English totty. :)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

My childhood is now dead. EVERY single Doctor after Peter Davison has been complete shite. And now this?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

feathers wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:The fire is about a mile from me (Comox BC) and it is pretty much uninterrupted forest between me and the fire. Plus the wind is intermittently blowing toward here. :shifty:
Can't you just piss it out?
As a former Lord Mayor of London put it:
Thomas Bloodworth wrote:...a woman might piss it out
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Bloodworth

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Lsuoma wrote:My childhood is now dead. EVERY single Doctor after Peter Davison has been complete shite. And now this?
The stories had been becoming increasingly silly in recent years anyway...

...Ah well...

"...Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung..."

I went down to the Imperial War Musuem at Duxford today where I saw that quote. Somehow the 'surly bonds' and 'laughter-silvered wings' reminded me of all you guys.

Ha! Life is not so bad...

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

CommanderTuvok wrote:BBC just announced Jodie Whittaker as the new Dr Who, so the SJW pressure to have either a woman or POC pays off. You just know the pressure will just ramp up even more to have a POC next. Lol.

She's worked with incoming producer Chris Chibnall before on Broadchurch. It probably is down to demands for a female Doctor but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. I thought Michelle Gomez was the best Master since Roger Delgado. Spanish genes are more important than Y chromosomes.

SJWs have a history of making demands and then not watching anyway (e.g. Wonder Woman) so if it doesn't work out she'll be replaced. For all it's public service pretensions the BBC is a commercial enterprise. This will already have hit overseas sales to Islamist shit-holes.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

MarcusAu wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:My childhood is now dead. EVERY single Doctor after Peter Davison has been complete shite. And now this?
The stories had been becoming increasingly silly in recent years anyway...

...Ah well...

"...Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung..."

I went down to the Imperial War Musuem at Duxford today where I saw that quote. Somehow the 'surly bonds' and 'laughter-silvered wings' reminded me of all you guys.

Ha! Life is not so bad...
/envy.

Did you see the Sherman?

BTW, not far from there and deffo worth a visit is the de Havilland museum at Salisbury Hall.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The next question will be are future companions to be male? An all female Tardis crew is going to alienate a lot of fans but there hasn't been a really great male companion since Jamie McCrimmon in the Sixties - and even he wore a skirt.

http://www.crackerboxpalace.com/frazer/frazer18.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Shatterface wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:BBC just announced Jodie Whittaker as the new Dr Who, so the SJW pressure to have either a woman or POC pays off. You just know the pressure will just ramp up even more to have a POC next. Lol.

[bimg]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPEJZtJwQM8/U ... 16x9-1.jpg[/img]

She's worked with incoming producer Chris Chibnall before on Broadchurch. It probably is down to demands for a female Doctor but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. I thought Michelle Gomez was the best Master since Roger Delgado. Spanish genes are more important than Y chromosomes.

SJWs have a history of making demands and then not watching anyway (e.g. Wonder Woman) so if it doesn't work out she'll be replaced. For all it's public service pretensions the BBC is a commercial enterprise. This will already have hit overseas sales to Islamist shit-holes.
Roger Delgado was crammed full of dago genes anyway. His father was Spanish, and his full name was Roger Caesar Marius Bernard de Delgado Torres Castillo Roberto. And he was a Cockney - he was born in Whitechapel.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Shatterface wrote:The next question will be are future companions to be male? An all female Tardis crew is going to alienate a lot of fans but there hasn't been a really great male companion since Jamie McCrimmon in the Sixties - and even he wore a skirt.

[bimg]http://www.crackerboxpalace.com/frazer/frazer18.jpg[/img]
Maybe we'll see some carpet munching.

BTW, the next step might be to see a Doctor with girlcock.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Shatterface wrote:

I haven't watched since the David Tennant years, but she just doesn't have the right look to play the Doctor to me. They should've gone with someone older. The Doctor should never be hot. Prediction: she'll have a hot companion and there will be lesbian sexual tension.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Lsuoma wrote:Roger Delgado was crammed full of dago genes anyway. His father was Spanish, and his full name was Roger Caesar Marius Bernard de Delgado Torres Castillo Roberto. And he was a Cockney - he was born in Whitechapel.
It's why I mentioned the Spanish connection. He also played the Spanish ambassador in Francis Drake and there's an injoke in one of the Jon Pertwee stories when reports of a sighting of the Master turn out to be a Spanish ambassador. [/nerd]

I really liked Delgado. A real shame he was killed in a car crash before they could give him a proper send off in the show.

katamari Damassi

DrokkIt wrote:What's annoying me today you don't ask?

Why, my friend-0-sphere full of people banging on about What The Health a netflix vegan propaganda movie that a cursory inspection reveals to be full of 'all diseases are caused by meat' woo bullshit.

Make whatever ethical lifestyle choices you like, but don't let's pretend it's anything but.
There's a small industry of vegan propaganda movies. Almost yearly, a vegan friend of mine tells me that "You have to see this movie!" She follows this doctor named James McDougal. She lent me his book years ago. It's full of testimonials, including a guy who claims veganism cured his baldness.

feathers

Post by feathers »

MarcusAu wrote:As a former Lord Mayor of London put it:
Thomas Bloodworth wrote:...a woman might piss it out
...in 1666 :evil:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Anyway Joanna Lumley played the 13th Doctor in 'The Curse of the Fatal Death.'

http://tansyrr.com/tansywp/wp-content/u ... 8.jpg.jpeg

It's canon so fuck off.

katamari Damassi

Shatterface wrote:
Wonder Woman did great box office, so I presume SJW's spent some of their student loan or disability check on a ticket, despite the star being Israeli, and conventionally beautiful. They even raved about it in Shakesville.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

And before SJWs start patting Chris Chibnall on the back they should remember that, as Torchwood showrunner, he gave us this:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/or ... 2-lisa.jpg

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Well, they've gone for it. Interesting choice. Don't really know her work. Al the previous Doctors have brought an oddness to the character, I hope she can do the same. Everything depends on what kind of scripts she gets - Timothy Dalton might have been a good Bond if he hadn't been lumbered with the truly dreadful Licence to Kill. Shame to lose Michelle Gomez, she was great - but it's a time travel show, you can always bring people back.

One thing I know - Doctor Who fans will complain no matter what they do. They moaned about Russell T Davies ruining the show, and hailed Steven Moffat as the man who would save it. Now, exactly as I predicted, they're moaning that Moffat is ruining it. They never quite twig that the reason the show doesn't make them feel like they did when they were nine is that they're not nine anymore.

I can say I definitely like the new Wimbledon ladies' champion. Garbiñe Muguruza may not have the prettiest name, and she's about eight feet tall, but if she'd have me, well, lets just say I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating biscuits. </shameless objectification>

http://www.efeestilo.com/wp-content/blo ... 412501.jpg

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

katamari Damassi wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:What's annoying me today you don't ask?

There's a small industry of vegan propaganda movies. Almost yearly, a vegan friend of mine tells me that "You have to see this movie!" She follows this doctor named James McDougal. She lent me his book years ago. It's full of testimonials, including a guy who claims veganism cured his baldness.

Loads of my friends are vegan- it's trendy in music circles- and tbh I have no problem with it as a lifestyle choice, and I can concede that eating too much red/processed meat may be a bad idea for various reasons.

However I am tired of being told health issues I have due to a disease are down to my diet, when they are not.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

'The Curse of Fatal Death' is available on Youtube* - so people can decide for themselves who they think the best female Dr Who is.

[youtube][/youtube]

*hopefully in all countries.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

I've never really got Dr. Who, I can honestly say I haven't watched an episode since i was about 12 or 13, and I only watched it then as my sister liked it and we only had one telly and there were only three channels in those days. My brother and I always thought it was shit even then.

However, it comes as no shock at all that the PC / Feminist obsessed BBC went for a woman character, my only surprise is they didn't get a hijabi wearing Muslim to play the Doctor. Give it a couple of years. :roll:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Wonder Woman did great box office, so I presume SJW's spent some of their student loan or disability check on a ticket, despite the star being Israeli, and conventionally beautiful. They even raved about it in Shakesville.
I don't think SJWs had a major contribution to the film's success. I think that was down to the fact it was a damn good action movie. After the first week or so SJWs found the whole idea of a white/Jewish/attractive/able-bodied heroine 'problematic' and decided to boycott the film.

SJWs are a vocal minority but they are also anhedonic. The whole notion of enjoyment repels them. They aren't an audience at which you can target mass entertainment. Market forces will ultimately dictate how industries that require an investment of millions of dollars will conduct themselves.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Lsuoma wrote: Maybe we'll see some carpet munching.

BTW, the next step might be to see a Doctor with girlcock.
The Darleks seem quite protuberant. Maybe the Emperor will order a new tranny at some point.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

If have kind of like to see the Doctor to regenerate into Michelle Gomez. I think she had the right eccentricity for the part - plus I'd like to see the Doctor constantly mistaken for a wanted criminal and have to keep running. That would be a return to the character's roots as a fugitive rather than part-time President of Earth.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Lsuoma wrote:

Did you see the Sherman?

BTW, not far from there and deffo worth a visit is the de Havilland museum at Salisbury Hall.
Isn't the correct term 'Sceptic?'. There were a couple there.

And on an completely unrelated note I did pay attention to any of the tank models.

There were plenty of planes through - both static and in action - as the museum is on a former base next to an airfield - and there was a Spitfire flying about.

nb You must be getting old - you mentioned the DH museum before - and I took you up on your recommendation and then replied.

Oh to be in England and all that.

katamari Damassi

Shatterface wrote:The next question will be are future companions to be male? An all female Tardis crew is going to alienate a lot of fans but there hasn't been a really great male companion since Jamie McCrimmon in the Sixties - and even he wore a skirt.
When you have an agenda you don't care about alienating fans. I haven't read comics in years, but because of the movies I like to keep track of what's going in the comics world, through Youtube. SJWs have taken over Marvel comics. There is a deliberate effort at Marvel to replace all of the cis white male characters with diversity hire characters, Captain America and Spiderman are black, Thor's a woman, Hulk is Asian, Iceman is flamingly gay. They've been hiring people they've seen on Tumblr who have no comic writing experience, but happen to be the same race and sexuality of the characters(Tana-hesi Coates is writing Black Panther). As you would imagine; the results are terrible, and sales are way down. Books that sold 80K+ sell less than 20K now. They don't care. They've said so. They call the fans racists. They'd rather have 10K of the "right" readers than 80K+ of the wrong kind of comic book readers. Marvel is owned by Disney and makes its money from the movie sales. They don't need to care if their book sales tank.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Comics sell, at best, a few hundred thousand issues. They're not movies. There's a reason Marvel films aren't recasting a teenage girl as Iron Man, a woman as Thora, or a Korean as the Hulk and that's money.

Money is the bottom line. There isn't an audience of self-hating white guys large enough to sustain a movie franchise the way there is for comic books.

The first few issues, that is, before the feeling of sticking it to the man wears off.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

So we get a Doctor that a red blooded chap can also have an enjoyable wank to.

http://i.imgur.com/fXPOY65.jpg

I am extremely comfortable with this.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Same with video games. You want to write a game about drepressiin you will knock out a multiple choice text adventure. If you want to spend millions on an open world adventure you are going to have to leave the slapping-prostitute options open if you want to make your money back.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

People have been complaining about (and predicting the demise of) comics for years - or more accurately decades.

Back in the early 1970s the Xmen comic was cancelled as it's sales were too low. And (from memory) it was shifting over a million units at the time. Since then sales have declined further each year.

People complained about Thor turning into a frog and said that Flash, Superman and Captain America were boring characters (even when CA was turned into a werewolf).

Marvel still has an overly liberal (or SJW) writer count (as does DC) - Mark Waid and Tom Brevoort (sp) come to mind - and they have since at least the 90's. But I don't know if things are particularly worse than they ever have been on that count.

In fact it could be argued that the comics industry has become more conservative - in that they are not taking risks with genre - but just maintaining a holding pattern. So that the Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman or Grant Morrison or Steve Gerber of a new generation is not likely to emerge. On top of that there is not much incentive for writers to create new characters as the IP rights default to the company.

feathers

Post by feathers »

shoutinghorse wrote:However, it comes as no shock at all that the PC / Feminist obsessed BBC went for a woman character, my only surprise is they didn't get a hijabi wearing Muslim to play the Doctor.
With a girlcock.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I'm actually starting to look forward to Whittaker taking over.

http://www.pincelebs.net/thumbs/a/d/2/a ... 782ba8.jpg

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:I don't think SJWs had a major contribution to the film's success. I think that was down to the fact it was a damn good action movie. After the first week or so SJWs found the whole idea of a white/Jewish/attractive/able-bodied heroine 'problematic' and decided to boycott the film.
But do we have evidence that they actually did? And if they did, did it even make a dent in the sales?

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

MarcusAu wrote:'The Curse of Fatal Death' is available on Youtube* - so people can decide for themselves who they think the best female Dr Who is.

[youtube][/youtube]

*hopefully in all countries.
And to think a couple of pages back someone was saying The High Sparrow was a sincerely good man...

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for the instant "You're a stinking misogynist for not watching a woman Doctor" clique. I thought the Who fans would be open to opinions. Whoops. My bad.

I'll admit I didn't rate it when it started again, because I knew that the monsters would not scare me. And hats off to Moffatt for the Weeping Angels. a brilliant concept and to the Doctors who did make me care about the characters. Capaldi got stuck with lousy writing and a lousy concept - he should have been the Dark Doctor that Colin Baker wasn't.

But Moffatt is about to do his usual trick of "Do something brilliant and then ruin it" as in "Hell Bent" was amazing because the Doctor would never see Clara again and guess who's turning up in the Christmas Special? "Bill is a Cyberman!!!!" - oh wait, no, she's fine.

Never mind, Capaldi brings it all to a nice close, and I'l pretend the program has finished.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Well, I think that Idris Elba would be a better Dr Who than James Bond. He might even be quite good.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

feathers wrote:
Shatterface wrote:I don't think SJWs had a major contribution to the film's success. I think that was down to the fact it was a damn good action movie. After the first week or so SJWs found the whole idea of a white/Jewish/attractive/able-bodied heroine 'problematic' and decided to boycott the film.
But do we have evidence that they actually did? And if they did, did it even make a dent in the sales?
My point is there aren't really enough of them to make a dint in the sales. You can try attracting them but you'll fail because they'll still find something to bitch about. And even if you did something of which they would approve they don't go to movies much anyway.

Cinema is an expensive medium. It's expensive to make a film, promote it and distribute it. So you have to make something with mass appeal. SJWs will make demands of Hollywood but the extent to which Hollywood will comply is ultimately going to be determined by how much it will effect profits. There's no profit in indulging people who won't see your movie anyway. They might get a few symbolic gestures but Marvel aren't going to piss away millions on a gay Hulk.

It's nearly ten years since Iron Man and Marvel are still producing films starring straight white guys. Their TV shows star women (Agent Carter, Jessica Jones) or minorities (Luke Cage) because that business model will sustain itself. And they can do what the hell they want in the comics because they are cheaper to produce and can be sustained by a market of thousands of people rather than millions.

some guy

Post by some guy »

Speak of Sherman's, who knew they were chick magnets?

https://www.facebook.com/calufumat/vide ... 1788500890

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Dr. Who?
Now as an American I don't pay (THANK GOODNESS) taxes for this shit. I used to really like it, but haven't for the last two Doctors. Here is my take: That show has been 'virtue signalling' for most of the past 2 decades. There were some decent episodes here and there esp in the mid 2000's but the show has long been more soap opera in space (often focusing on the women sidekicks) then science fiction. The fact that they feel the need to pander to SJW's through the last 2 Doctors is just icing on the cake. So there was a big 'thing' about how the next Doctor had to be a woman (even though there are already female Galifreyans who've had important story arcs even) and the fact they gave in doesn't surprise me. I will say one more thing: if they had wanted to do something different they either could have given him a robotic companion or no companion at all. OR*gasp* given him a cute Earthgirl where it was OBVIOUS they were having sex. That sexless Doctor stuff has been a meme for decades...but when you add all the queer and lesbian and shit stuff they have been doing over the past decade or so his sexlessness as a MAN is almost a slap in the face to normal male fans. Now if you don't like lesbian porn, there's nothing for you here. I'm glad that most comments I'm seeing on Soc Media about this are negative. Maybe the ratings will make that Ghostbusters flop look like a success. And before you all (I see several here that are going to 'give it a chance') complain at me for prejudging it, WHAT THE FUCK do you think the odds are that this woman Doctor isn't going to be PERFECT in practically every way and morally insufferable to boot. Hell, she'll probably diss 'her' previous regenerations. So long Doctor Who. Thanks for the good memories and some fun times.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

GenerallyFading wrote:
I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for the instant "You're a stinking misogynist for not watching a woman Doctor" clique. I thought the Who fans would be open to opinions. Whoops. My bad.

Paraphrased from some people I am watching argue:
Gay Dude: I think it's a shame that we have lost one of the few decent role models for young men

Some Woman: That's ridiculous and sexist.Girls need someone to look up to as well!!

Gay Dude: Well yeah but Dr Who was helpful to me growing up as he was wise and vaguely 'queer'. I'd like young boys to still have that.

Some Woman: It's about time we had a women Dr Who- who's to say a woman isn't a good role model for boys??
This went on for quite a bit and I've obviously edited to quickly show the hypocrisy.

Personally think the show is garbage, the awful writing would sink it even if they cast Daniel Day-Lewis or Meryl Streep.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Clarence wrote:Dr. Who?
Now as an American I don't pay (THANK GOODNESS) taxes for this shit. I used to really like it, but haven't for the last two Doctors. Here is my take: That show has been 'virtue signalling' for most of the past 2 decades. There were some decent episodes here and there esp in the mid 2000's but the show has long been more soap opera in space (often focusing on the women sidekicks) then science fiction. The fact that they feel the need to pander to SJW's through the last 2 Doctors is just icing on the cake. So there was a big 'thing' about how the next Doctor had to be a woman (even though there are already female Galifreyans who've had important story arcs even) and the fact they gave in doesn't surprise me. I will say one more thing: if they had wanted to do something different they either could have given him a robotic companion or no companion at all. OR*gasp* given him a cute Earthgirl where it was OBVIOUS they were having sex. That sexless Doctor stuff has been a meme for decades...but when you add all the queer and lesbian and shit stuff they have been doing over the past decade or so his sexlessness as a MAN is almost a slap in the face to normal male fans. Now if you don't like lesbian porn, there's nothing for you here. I'm glad that most comments I'm seeing on Soc Media about this are negative. Maybe the ratings will make that Ghostbusters flop look like a success. And before you all (I see several here that are going to 'give it a chance') complain at me for prejudging it, WHAT THE FUCK do you think the odds are that this woman Doctor isn't going to be PERFECT in practically every way and morally insufferable to boot. Hell, she'll probably diss 'her' previous regenerations. So long Doctor Who. Thanks for the good memories and some fun times.

Personally, I think we'll get some compelling drama out of a Doctor who'll be bad tempered and irrational every four episodes.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Well, I think that Idris Elba would be a better Dr Who than James Bond. He might even be quite good.
I like Elba but he's really turning into a recepticle for white guilt. I'm very flexible with regards to the Doctor but James Bond is a type. We have an image in our heads regarding Bond and Elba isn't it. It's not just about race.

There's nothing intrinsic to Sherlock Holmes that says he has to be tall and thin. Sure, he is in the books, but he could still be a deductive genius if he was a fat slob. But 'fat slob' isn't how we picture Sherlock Holmes.

You don't need to recognise the particular film or actor to recognise from a single image that the actor is playing Bond or Holmes. I doubt most people would know the names of George Lazenby or Robert Stephens but they'd recognise the character they played instantly. Show a picture of Connery in a tic and people are going to think 'Bond' before 'Connery'. Show a picture of him in any other role and they are going to think 'Connery' before the character name. Same would go for Basil Rathbone or Cummerbund Bandersnatch as Sherlock Holmes.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Clarence wrote:Dr. Who?
WHAT THE FUCK do you think the odds are that this woman Doctor isn't going to be PERFECT in practically every way and morally insufferable to boot
Julie Andrews was not available, so we will just have to wait and see if this new candidate measures up.

[youtube][/youtube]

GenerallyFading

I was trying to reply to Dokkit, and I've mucked up the quoting. With reference to the role model for men....

Well, for me, he was a great father figure. Although I did have a thing for the Twelfth Doctor - big brains plus charisma. Even though I was screaming "NOOO!!!!" at the "Just be kind" speech - that was Moffatt's therapy for years of bullying. You can tell he wants all his bullies to be sorry they weren't kind to him, so his slap in the face to them is to get a major character to try to make them feel guilty. As a philosophy on life, it doesn't work. Jordan Peterson speaks about nurturing your inner psychopath and standing up for yourself because otherwise you get walked all over, so for the Doctor to deploy this all the time? No. And it is a bit of a departure from a Doctor who started the role with the possibility he shoved a sentient being to their death unwillingly, and broke the fourth wall in challenging you to decide what he did.

Pretty much I went along for the ride, enjoyed Capaldi as an actor and remembered this is aimed at children. Sort of.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:
I like Elba but he's really turning into a recepticle for white guilt. I'm very flexible with regards to the Doctor but James Bond is a type. We have an image in our heads regarding Bond and Elba isn't it. It's not just about race.

There's nothing intrinsic to Sherlock Holmes that says he has to be tall and thin. Sure, he is in the books, but he could still be a deductive genius if he was a fat slob. But 'fat slob' isn't how we picture Sherlock Holmes.

You don't need to recognise the particular film or actor to recognise from a single image that the actor is playing Bond or Holmes. I doubt most people would know the names of George Lazenby or Robert Stephens but they'd recognise the character they played instantly. Show a picture of Connery in a tic and people are going to think 'Bond' before 'Connery'. Show a picture of him in any other role and they are going to think 'Connery' before the character name. Same would go for Basil Rathbone or Cummerbund Bandersnatch as Sherlock Holmes.[/quote]

Obligatory:

[youtube][/youtube]

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

apologies for the quote bork.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Lol.

A new family have moved in next door to The Commander, and they have TWO dogs that look a bit like poor Indy!

http://i.imgur.com/AKfM67O.jpg

BTW, I knocked on my upstairs window to get them to all look up. Lol!

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Paul Nungesser has settled with Columbia. Of the two news sources I've read covering this, let's just say they have been generous to Matress Girl. As expected, Jezebell actually distorts some things, and read the comments for a full departure from reality.
http://jezebel.com/columbia-university- ... 1796950029

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

GenerallyFading wrote: Never mind, Capaldi brings it all to a nice close, and I'l pretend the program has finished.
What I would give my left bollock to see would be a Malcolm Tucker/Doctor Who mashup played by Capaldi.

GenerallyFading

Lsuoma wrote:
GenerallyFading wrote: Never mind, Capaldi brings it all to a nice close, and I'l pretend the program has finished.
What I would give my left bollock to see would be a Malcolm Tucker/Doctor Who mashup played by Capaldi.
I think there's one on YouTube?