In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Shatterface

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:I don't mind admitting when I am wrong (or simply outclassed) - I was mis-remembering Non-Stop as FastForward.
The US title of Non-Stop is Starship. I'm glad they didn't get the same marketing team for The Usual Suspects
What a fantastic world to be living in when you realise that there are still Aldiss stories to read for the first time.
Most of his work was reissued by The Friday Project a few years back. Unfortunately they seem to have stopped. My Amazon pre-order for his complete collections of stories from the Seventies onwards is still 'pending' after two years.

His complete stories from the Fifties is just £1.99 on Kindle. The Supertoys trilogy (the basis of Spielberg's AI) is 99p.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Hunt wrote:That was a brilliant column by Brooks, with a whole pile of grains of truth. Of course, we can see why Peez is irate over it, it implies that he might be a complicit part of the system. {snip}
If you look at the stats on who climbs up out of the economic lower classes, there is only one kind of post-secondary education that is even less helpful than going to a satellite campus of a large state university: an online "university" like Kaplan or Phoenix. Even two-year community colleges and trade schools produce better outcomes than satellites (often for much less money). Grad schools know this. Employers know this. And, unless they are in denial, the faculty at satellites know this, too.

If I taught at a satellite and knew what this meant ... from how the academy views my worth to what effect I'm having on the world ... I'd be pretty angry and bitter, as well. But I hope that I wouldn't take it out on defenseless dime-store fish.

Billie from Ockham

AndrewV69 wrote:How about like this?(link to image on Facebook)
I love how this is turning into a meme. Some of them are quite good.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

MarcusAu wrote:Service Dog has snuck back in.

People have been asking after you SD - any updates...?
Things are looking-up. I've been steadily getting unsteady work... one day at a music festival produced by the infamous creators of the Fyre Festival/ three days dismantling the rotating stage of a broadway play staring David Mamet's daughter/ 13 hours poolside & rooftop-- as an Italian handbag company celebrated it's 90th year with a water ballet. The work is due to using a fake ID to prove Im legal to work in the US (Im a native-born citizen). The plan is to earn enough $ to clear my name & get real IDs renewed.

Im moving back to Manhattan! After this Queens neighborhood where Niqabs & Hijabs are common... I kinda go Roger Rabbit staring at the scanty manhattan girls, again.

The move is going slow, as my bank account got down to $2, mid-move (I couldnt pay for parking with my atm card, relied on a mason jar full of quarters). But all those paychecks should arrive soon.

Im back together with the Japanese/Chinese daughter of a long-retired nightclub owner with crazy stories about the yakuza.

Everything's pretty good, except my dog's poor knees.

Billie from Ockham

Kirbmarc wrote:The big problem is how to get people to separate their private beliefs from science and the law.
QFT

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

gurugeorge wrote:
I think in the future people will realize that it was actually an immense act of cruelty to strip away peoples' deep beliefs the way modernity did. There were definitely huge benefits in terms of technological progress that came from looking at existence as mere mechanism (the power of quantitative analysis), but also some profound costs.
This is pretty much Solzhenitsyn's views on the moral crimes of communism.

I think Neitzsche was speaking to the same thing when he said he who has a why can endure any how.

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote:If you are worried about a reaction to gluten you don't really believe the cracker transforms into Jesus meat and you are going to hell anyway.
Back in the 80s, the Episcopal church (maybe others, too) faced the issue of people not taking communion due to fear of AIDS from "backwash" in the wine. They were being open and inviting to gays, but noticed a drop in percent coming up to the rail. The response of the church to which my mother was going was to make a show of wiping the rim of the cup between each person. I have no idea if this worked (and haven't even thought about this for years). I greatly enjoyed giving my mother and the priest a lot of shit about this.

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote:I don't mind living in a spiritually empty universe. I've never felt a god-shaped hole. Even when the parish priest offered me wine if I'd put my finger in.
My guess is that your experience occurred before the development of synthetic corks. They can now make said corks in almost any shape.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I thought it was only the catholics that really, truly believed in transubstantiation, but you know in a way that is at the same time metaphorical and not.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Kirbmarc wrote:

The same thing is true for the SocJus. The problems with the SJWs are their specific anti-scientific beliefs (for example "no such thing as a biological sex") and their authoritarian positions, not the silliness of their gender identities. I'm perfectly willing to call a MtF trans "a woman" as long as they understand that a) they're not biologically a woman and b) they don't have the right to impose laws that punish those who "misgender" them. Of course it's easier for everyone is they put some effort into looking like a woman, and they should be the first ones to understand that how they view themselves and what the mirror shows would never quite match, but they can make some steps in that direction.
I wouldn't deliberately misgender people I meet in the real world either.

I think there is a big problem lying in the point I bolded, though. I think the reason we have the concept of "gender" at all apart from sex is to help people avoid understanding the reality of biological sex. People who have a "gender" dysphoria actually have a sex dysphoria - they don't feel comfortable with the sex of their body and think they should have the other one. So we get the concept of "gender" which started out almost exactly like sex, except that people can amend it at will. But the problem with that is that it doesn't actually change the reality of sex, which cannot be amended, and which triggers the problems to begin with. So as long as transitioning gender is the consensus solution for gender dysphoria, you'll have a certain contingent of people trying to delegitimize the idea of sex, because the fact that the concept holds water leads to the conclusion that their gender expression is an artifice. In the mean time the fact that gender is flexible has led to a sort of intellectual cancer forming from it where people (mostly disingenuous people who want to role play as weirdos IMO) use it's flexibility to spawn an endless number of senseless pseudo-identities complete with made up pronouns. This situation is already making the concept of gender seem absurd and untethered from reality, and that is probably only going to get worse. I think the conversation about gender is only going to get weirder and more contentious in the future, probably to the detriment of those with gender disphoria.

The bottom line is, you can't change an unfortunate reality by fiat no matter how strong your will or how clever your sophistry. I have a suspicion that there might be a better way forward for people with gender dysphoria than to become transgender, get a lot of surgeries and change their appearance, but if I'm right about that I doubt it will be investigated for a long time. To even suggest such a thing is probably tantamount to a hate crime at a lot of universities.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

DrokkIt wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:
I think in the future people will realize that it was actually an immense act of cruelty to strip away peoples' deep beliefs the way modernity did. There were definitely huge benefits in terms of technological progress that came from looking at existence as mere mechanism (the power of quantitative analysis), but also some profound costs.

I think Neitzsche was speaking to the same thing when he said he who has a why can endure any how.
I don't think it's much of a cruelty if the superstitious wank they believed in caused demonstrable harm in the real world. Plebby white supremacists probably take great comfort in being part of a 'master' race; yeah, I might be a dribbling fool but at least I ain't no nigger. Personally, I'd say it was for the betterment of mankind as a whole if a whole lot more people had those kinds of beliefs stripped away.

Religion, of course, doesn't have to be supremacist in nature - and if one is content to follow such beliefs, then fill yer boots. Unfortunately, certain prominent religions - and one in particular, it has to be said - are as supremacist as hell, and the more people who lose those beliefs, the better.

And no, I'm not suggesting the world would be some kind of paradise without these more strident religions. It'd very probably be a better one, though. And what's so bad about losing a belief anyway, no matter how heartfelt it is? Get the fuck over it -and if one finds reality to be so untenable without some superstitious drivel to make one feel better about things, then find something better, kinder, to believe in. I'll guarantee that there'll be just as much evidence to support it as there was with the last batch of nonsense you wasted so much time over.

Billie from Ockham

I could write another long and pompous comment about the activation of effective schemata when interacting with new people, but my spoons are in the dishwasher. Instead, I'll only say that people who reject and refuse to learn anything about evo psych and the "ontogeny" of basic social mechanisms will never understand what gender really is and why it is what it is. Most of all, they will continue to make the key error of thinking that your own gender is something that you get to directly control. It isn't. Your gender is determined by the people who meet you.

Analogy: I might want people to think that I'm warm and generous and brilliant. I might even believe this to be true (because it is!). But if everyone who meets me thinks that I'm an asshole, instead, then I'm an asshole.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Tigzy wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:

I don't think it's much of a cruelty if the superstitious wank they believed in caused demonstrable harm in the real world. Plebby white supremacists probably take great comfort in being part of a 'master' race; yeah, I might be a dribbling fool but at least I ain't no nigger. Personally, I'd say it was for the betterment of mankind as a whole if a whole lot more people had those kinds of beliefs stripped away.

Religion, of course, doesn't have to be supremacist in nature - and if one is content to follow such beliefs, then fill yer boots. Unfortunately, certain prominent religions - and one in particular, it has to be said - are as supremacist as hell, and the more people who lose those beliefs, the better.

And no, I'm not suggesting the world would be some kind of paradise without these more strident religions. It'd very probably be a better one, though. And what's so bad about losing a belief anyway, no matter how heartfelt it is? Get the fuck over it -and if one finds reality to be so untenable without some superstitious drivel to make one feel better about things, then find something better, kinder, to believe in. I'll guarantee that there'll be just as much evidence to support it as there was with the last batch of nonsense you wasted so much time over.

I don't disagree with any of that, and simply offer the observation that the aspects of religion being considered above are the 'meaning of life' ones that people will (for the most part) naturally arrive at asking.

feathers

Post by feathers »

shoutinghorse wrote:Maybe he was just taking revenge for the Range Rover being parked on a cycle lane. :)
After what that policeman did with the car door, suspect will be released and complaint forthcoming faster than you can sing Hallelujah.

Really?

Post by Really? »

feathers wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:Maybe he was just taking revenge for the Range Rover being parked on a cycle lane. :)
After what that policeman did with the car door, suspect will be released and complaint forthcoming faster than you can sing Hallelujah.
I wonder what he'll do with the one million pounds the government will give him.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Today, besides the shits, I've learned that Sabaton's guitarist is a huge fan of Fairyland. I take some pride in this.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Shatterface wrote:If you are worried about a reaction to gluten you don't really believe the cracker transforms into Jesus meat and you are going to hell anyway.
Back in the 80s, the Episcopal church (maybe others, too) faced the issue of people not taking communion due to fear of AIDS from "backwash" in the wine. They were being open and inviting to gays, but noticed a drop in percent coming up to the rail. The response of the church to which my mother was going was to make a show of wiping the rim of the cup between each person. I have no idea if this worked (and haven't even thought about this for years). I greatly enjoyed giving my mother and the priest a lot of shit about this.
I'd be more worried about herpes, which is far more contagious.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

You've put a lot of effort in Phil - you should be proud of yourself.

And the music is not too bad either.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Shatterface wrote:I don't mind living in a spiritually empty universe. I've never felt a god-shaped hole. Even when the parish priest offered me wine if I'd put my finger in.
My guess is that your experience occurred before the development of synthetic corks. They can now make said corks in almost any shape.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY550_.jpg

or what about

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/3188604/thumb ... -570.jpg?7

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

MarcusAu wrote:You've put a lot of effort in Phil - you should be proud of yourself.

Nice try, but I'm still not putting a cork up my arse!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

The guitarist is the blonde. The one on the right...

Willdric is in the middle (as always, that dirty slut)

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A074CAB

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:The guitarist is the blonde. The one on the right...

Willdric is in the middle (as always, that dirty slut)

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A074CAB

Lauren Southern on the left? :shock:

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Guest_936d3dec wrote:Brooks' started his career working for William F. Buckley. Democrats and Liberals have hated Brooks since then.

Unless he completely recants and pulls a David Brock, David Brooks will never have a Democrat say anything kind about him.
I've hated David Brooks based on his past columns not knowing anything about his connection to Buckley or National Review.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

jet_lagg wrote:Leibniz was right and we live in the best of all possible worlds. What a horrifying thought.
Sonja: Surely we live in the best of all possible worlds! Don't you think so, Boris?

Boris: It's certainly the most expensive.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:You've put a lot of effort in Phil - you should be proud of yourself.

Nice try, but I'm still not putting a cork up my arse!
I understand that nowadays even the good wineries use mostly screw caps. Maybe that would be an option.

John D

Post by John D »

So.... Laci is on Rubin.

[youtube][/youtube]

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm not buying it JD - give us the hard sell.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

A proposal to investigate whether radical beliefs are being taught in US mosques is rejected:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/1 ... lam-240537

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Sunder wrote:
Really? wrote:Checking in on Dick:

Skepticon asked for money again on June 8 to defray the cost of Dick's suit.
Howdy Skeptiworld,
We’ve talked about it before, but Skepticon is still facing down a long and difficult lawsuit. Unfortunately, this means that we need to spend time and energy on fundraising for BOTH legal fees (and our awesome con).
I may be mistaken but shouldn't a sentence still make sense even without the parts in parentheses?

But I digress. The A/S conference scene is turning into the average evangelical church. I wouldn't be surprised if someone got the bright idea to pass around a collection plate to see what all five attendees of the next Skepticon can scrape together.
Below average. Most churches are run a lot better than A/S conferences are.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

If anyone is looking for an interview with an advocate for women's rights - this looks more promising than the Rubin / Green interview

[youtube][/youtube]

...I can't speak to the entertainment value though.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

free thoughtpolice wrote:A proposal to investigate whether radical beliefs are being taught in US mosques is rejected:

Have they learnt nothing from Europe?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

So this is month old news by now but it's news to me: After the UVA fraternity that was fingered by Rolling Stone sued their asses and reached a massive settlement, they've decided to turn around and donate the settlement money to many of the same groups wielding torches and pitchforks against them.

http://www.mindingthecampus.org/2017/06 ... ettlement/

One commenter speculates this is the equivalent of paying "protection money."

Billie from Ockham

free thoughtpolice wrote:A proposal to investigate whether radical beliefs are being taught in US mosques is rejected:
I found this part of the story to be amusing: "The proposal has drawn heavy criticism from Muslim lawmakers serving in Congress...."

Reading that, what would be your guess as to how many Muslims are serving in Congress?

If you said "I dunno ... five?" then you have made the desired inference.

If you said "wait ... I thought that Ellison was the only one," then you're a tad out-of-date.

If you said "two," then you pass.

If you said "there are two, but the story is incorrect because André D. Carson has actually been silent on Trent Franks' bill," then you need to get a life, because you're paying too much attention to American politics.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Talking about gender, there's an upcoming adaptation of Ian McEwan's The Child in Time.

One of the characters in the book has an affair with the Prime Minister. McEwan avoids gendered pronouns when writing about the PM so it's deliberately ambiguous as to whether it's a straight or gay affair. I wonder how they'll get around this on film?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

shoutinghorse wrote:

In Canada, Calgary to be exact, the imam at one of the mosques had complained to the authorities about radicals that had been recruiting his members even naming them and apparently had it fall on deaf ears. Cops everywhere are scared shitless of going after religious crooks and troublemakers.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

John D wrote:So.... Laci is on Rubin.
I'm not 'street' enough. Is Rubin an upper, a downer, or one of those that makes you see angels and unicorns?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jet_lagg wrote:Leibniz was right and we live in the best of all possible worlds. What a horrifying thought.
That can't be. In the best of all possible worlds, all Leibniz would be Choco-Leibniz.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

It's funny the first and only name to spring to the apologists' mind is "Westboro Baptist," the guys who are certainly giant assholes spreading a hateful message...but who consist primarily of one family and whose only damage is holding signs saying mean words. They've been rebuffed by small disorganized crowds before. They are not a threat. And anyway you sound retarded when you say "well if we're spying on imams should we spy on them too?" What the fuck, do you think I'm gonna panic and say "no, please, anything but that!" as though I give half of two fucks about the WBC? Because you've got liquid shit for brains if you think I would.

Anyway, the main point is that your average Christian nutso in the West who actually goes violent isn't being trained and recruited by any church you can point to. If there were any Christian church turning out violent radicals, then by all fucking means snoop on them too.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Back in the 80s, the Episcopal church (maybe others, too) faced the issue of people not taking communion due to fear of AIDS from "backwash" in the wine. They were being open and inviting to gays, but noticed a drop in percent coming up to the rail. The response of the church to which my mother was going was to make a show of wiping the rim of the cup between each person. I have no idea if this worked (and haven't even thought about this for years). I greatly enjoyed giving my mother and the priest a lot of shit about this.
FTFY

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote:Talking about gender, there's an upcoming adaptation of Ian McEwan's The Child in Time.

One of the characters in the book has an affair with the Prime Minister. McEwan avoids gendered pronouns when writing about the PM so it's deliberately ambiguous as to whether it's a straight or gay affair. I wonder how they'll get around this on film?
I agree that choosing between Muscrato and Riley will be difficult. But that's why they have casting couches.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:

In Canada, Calgary to be exact, the imam at one of the mosques had complained to the authorities about radicals that had been recruiting his members even naming them and apparently had it fall on deaf ears. Cops everywhere are scared shitless of going after religious crooks and troublemakers.
Saudi Arabia is a harsh mistress :bjarte:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote:I've never felt a god-shaped hole.... I'd put my finger in.
Try it with your dick next time.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Can someone explain how the fuck you can follow, like or retweet something in an aggressive manner?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Aggression is linked to testosterone.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Really? wrote: Skepticon asked for money again on June 8 to defray the cost of Dick's suit.
Howdy Skeptiworld,
We’ve talked about it before, but Skepticon is still facing down a long and difficult lawsuit. Unfortunately, this means that we need to spend time and energy on fundraising for BOTH legal fees (and our awesome con).
Skepticon begs for money every year. A bunch of lazy slackivists with no real paying jobs start a free conference for lazy slackivists with no real paying jobs, then are are blindsided when their fellow lazy slackivists with no real paying jobs don't donate a dime.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Shatterface wrote:I've never felt a god-shaped hole.... I'd put my finger in.
Try it with your dick next time.
LoL. As the young woman said as her swain put his hand on her knee, "heaven's above" .... :rimshot:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

FFS: on Question Time on Radio 4, people are saying "the H-word" instead of saying "Hitler".

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Skepticon is not free. It is freemium.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Shatterface wrote: The Child in Time

[youtube][/youtube]

Malky

Post by Malky »

Billie from Ockham wrote:I could write another long and pompous comment about the activation of effective schemata when interacting with new people, but my spoons are in the dishwasher. Instead, I'll only say that people who reject and refuse to learn anything about evo psych and the "ontogeny" of basic social mechanisms will never understand what gender really is and why it is what it is. Most of all, they will continue to make the key error of thinking that your own gender is something that you get to directly control. It isn't. Your gender is determined by the people who meet you.

Analogy: I might want people to think that I'm warm and generous and brilliant. I might even believe this to be true (because it is!). But if everyone who meets me thinks that I'm an asshole, instead, then I'm an asshole.
Do we need to meet you to know this?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:

Fiddling while Rome burns with our decidedly clueless if not criminally negligent Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in the starring role of Nero. Increasing levels of pushback though, starting with #M103 (the anti "islamophobia" motion) and with most Liberals objecting to his position on Omar Khadr, which should see the Liberals decimated in the elections in 2019; too bad we can't impeach Trudeau.

In any case, a relevant observation by Pakistani-Canadian Ali Rizvi, and author of The Atheist Muslim ("a muddled plea for reform in Islam", a bit of an oxymoron, a bit of pandering to the Muslim community):

Maybe we should just #BanIslam, close the borders to Muslims, deport the mother-fucken lot. No doubt some might think that is not particularly "fair", but how fair is it to impose on a society those who are almost congenitally incapable of accepting the bedrock values and principles on which that society is based?

Really?

Post by Really? »

It looks as though things are getting better at Evergreen. After the state threatened to stop giving the school money and after more than a thousand students declined to register for next semester, George took a firm stance, insisting that the student code of conduct be changed to allow for swifter, more decisive punishment.

Godspeed to those who are serving on that committee. They're making Evergreen a better place.

Billie from Ockham

Malky wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:I could write another long and pompous comment about the activation of effective schemata when interacting with new people, but my spoons are in the dishwasher. Instead, I'll only say that people who reject and refuse to learn anything about evo psych and the "ontogeny" of basic social mechanisms will never understand what gender really is and why it is what it is. Most of all, they will continue to make the key error of thinking that your own gender is something that you get to directly control. It isn't. Your gender is determined by the people who meet you.

Do we need to meet you to know this?
If your ancestors hadn't developed the ability to detect assholery with low-quality data, you probably wouldn't be here today.

I'm gratified that someone got the point that I was making.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Lsuoma wrote:FFS: on Question Time on Radio 4, people are saying "the H-word" instead of saying "Hitler".

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Don't mention Hitler!

Billie from Ockham

Secondary references can also be triggering, so be ready for the "G-name Law" when it comes to internet discussions.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Lsuoma wrote:FFS: on Question Time on Radio 4, people are saying "the H-word" instead of saying "Hitler".

Aitch crimes are on the increase.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

It looks as though things are getting better at Evergreen. After the state threatened to stop giving the school money and after more than a thousand students declined to register for next semester, George took a firm stance, insisting that the student code of conduct be changed to allow for swifter, more decisive punishment.

Godspeed to those who are serving on that committee. They're making Evergreen a better place.
I can't tell if you are serious, but there are threads at r/evergreen and r/kotakuinaction and a twitterer, but I can't find him right now, that have clips of the recent trustee meeting with Weinstein, Bridges, and the Chief of Police that really show Bridges has done nothing, literally wipes himself of responsibility by stating all of these policies and decisions are coming from various committees, all while claiming he has disagreed with the students' behaviors, and that the students have been disciplined, though he feels they should have been disciplined earlier and more harshly.

His behavior in that trustees meeting is over the top in being a weasel. He makes Ed Rooney look like a stand up guy.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

It does seem particularly offensive when you realise that Mr H. was still in the initial stages of his/her transition.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guest_936d3dec wrote:

I can't tell if you are serious, but there are threads at r/evergreen and r/kotakuinaction and a twitterer, but I can't find him right now, that have clips of the recent trustee meeting with Weinstein, Bridges, and the Chief of Police that really show Bridges has done nothing, literally wipes himself of responsibility by stating all of these policies and decisions are coming from various committees, all while claiming he has disagreed with the students' behaviors, and that the students have been disciplined, though he feels they should have been disciplined earlier and more harshly.

His behavior in that trustees meeting is over the top in being a weasel. He makes Ed Rooney look like a stand up guy.
I was kidding. You're right; he's done nothing and is the world's biggest doormat. And I was going to paste in some video of him, but I didn't know if people cared about a whole boring meeting.

[youtube][/youtube]

(Skim through to find him if desired.)

In this VICE report, you can find him working through how the students are probably justified in calling him a white supremacist.

[youtube][/youtube]

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Secondary references can also be triggering, so be ready for the "G-name Law" when it comes to internet discussions.
I'd be all for this if it meant eventually that stupid "law" will be forgotten in name, since it's already long been forgotten in application.

Contemporaries have somehow warped its meaning into "if Hitler or Nazis are mentioned, you lose the argument by default."