In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
feathers
.
.
Posts: 6113
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 am
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21781

Post by feathers » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:35 am

Old_ones wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:44 pm
OT: I wonder if Steve Shives or PZ Myers will denounce him for acknowledging that black men commit a disproportionate share of murders relative to the size of their community.
Those two denounce Thunderfoot whenever he opens his mouth.

Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16644
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21782

Post by Brive1987 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:01 am

feathers wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:22 pm
I have a pretty large blu-ray collection by most standards (well over a thousand) but I have hardly any musicals.

It's not that I don't enjoy them - I grew up watching them - but I've never gotten around to collecting them and I probably should start building up a library.

What are the essentials I need?

I have The Wizard of Oz, Blues Brothers and The Rocky Horror Picture Show (which I've still never seen!) but that's about it.
The Sound of My Fair Lady.
Continuing recent themes, here is my pick:


Steersman
.
.
Posts: 10154
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21783

Post by Steersman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:01 am

Brive1987 wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:37 am
So I would add race realism and race loyalty to your mix of outwardly unifying features. Some players may downplay this or even secretly disagree -
but only alone and in a locked room. My POV here ignores those simply pissed with Muslim excess. Which is, like, everyone with half a brain.
Oh yeah, race realism is pretty much implicit or non-controversial in the Alt Right position, and some degree of race loyalty too (although there's variation there too - some are happier with a degree of mixing than others).

<snip>

Or: some want to preserve the race because they want to preserve the ideas they believe their race has most affinity with, others want to preserve the race full stop, because they love their people and feel indifference or hostility to other people.
I can accept that different levels of race concern exist. But the fact race is a thing at all in the debate is a huge red flag for me. It should be unimportantly implicit in erhnic [? ethnic] defense - making it explicit at all channels National Socialism and weirdness.
Definitely the case that race is too much a focus for many, even for many blacks. But in the face of many trying to lay all of blame at the feet of the "whites" it's hard not to be sympathetic to some push-back: "It's ok to be white".
Brive1987 wrote: “France for the French, Denmark for the Danish and let’s all celebrate western civilisation and culture!” Ie “Fit in or fuck off” has a better ring to it than “white peoples unite as blood brothers”
Yeah. Somewhat apropos of which:


Brive1987
.
.
Posts: 16644
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 am
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21784

Post by Brive1987 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:10 am

Steersman wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:37 am
So I would add race realism and race loyalty to your mix of outwardly unifying features. Some players may downplay this or even secretly disagree -
but only alone and in a locked room. My POV here ignores those simply pissed with Muslim excess. Which is, like, everyone with half a brain.
Oh yeah, race realism is pretty much implicit or non-controversial in the Alt Right position, and some degree of race loyalty too (although there's variation there too - some are happier with a degree of mixing than others).

<snip>

Or: some want to preserve the race because they want to preserve the ideas they believe their race has most affinity with, others want to preserve the race full stop, because they love their people and feel indifference or hostility to other people.
I can accept that different levels of race concern exist. But the fact race is a thing at all in the debate is a huge red flag for me. It should be unimportantly implicit in erhnic [? ethnic] defense - making it explicit at all channels National Socialism and weirdness.
Definitely the case that race is too much a focus for many, even for many blacks. But in the face of many trying to lay all of blame at the feet of the "whites" it's hard not to be sympathetic to some push-back: "It's ok to be white".
Brive1987 wrote: “France for the French, Denmark for the Danish and let’s all celebrate western civilisation and culture!” Ie “Fit in or fuck off” has a better ring to it than “white peoples unite as blood brothers”
Yeah. Somewhat apropos of which:

So racist to say “African”. Almost as bad as talking about “Asian” food.

The Somalis are a proud people and classic Aussie stock. True blue.

http://i.imgur.com/BpBBifu.jpg

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21785

Post by MarcusAu » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:46 am

on the subject of Musicals - off the top of my head - I can recommend:

Tommy
Quadrophenia
The Wall
Paint Your Wagon
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
Bells are Ringing
Guys and Dolls
Singin' in the Rain
Tap
Robin and the 7 Hoods

I suppose technically the Marx Brothers films are musicals - but anyone interested probably already has them. Maybe you could start with The Jazz Singer - and pick one film from each decade.

Just stay away from anything with Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy in it.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21786

Post by Bhurzum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:00 am

MarcusAu wrote: on the subject of Musicals - off the top of my head - I can recommend:

Tommy
Quadrophenia
The Wall
Paint Your Wagon
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
Bells are Ringing
Guys and Dolls
Singin' in the Rain
Tap
Robin and the 7 Hoods

I suppose technically the Marx Brothers films are musicals - but anyone interested probably already has them. Maybe you could start with The Jazz Singer - and pick one film from each decade.

Just stay away from anything with Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy in it.
No Bugsy Malone?

For shame...

https://78.media.tumblr.com/3bb222d3fb2 ... o1_500.gif

ThreeFlangedJavis
.
.
Posts: 1337
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 am
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21787

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:13 am

Old_ones wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:14 pm
One of the many shortcomings of the SocJus ethos/approach is that all substantial disagreements lead the SJW to "you are a terrible person" which is a thought terminating cliche. Hopefully the Democratic party doesn't take the PZ Myers approach to this issue - they'd be nailing themselves in a coffin to keep all the "deplorables" away. They need a platform that can be inclusive for not only minorities, but also the majority because the won't make it without white voters.
Not a problem if they can bring in loads of POCs. I read an allegation somewhere that the Dems rushed through the processing of 1 million immigrants before a presidential election in the 90's. Clinton again.

VickyCaramel
.
.
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:24 am
Location: Sitting with feet up
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21788

Post by VickyCaramel » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:19 am

Bhurzum wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote: Don't know what you're talking about. Rogan never believed in the flat Earth theory.
I lack the motivation to trawl through hours of video to find the quote but it is out there. Something about a recent (mid 2K's) satellite taking pictures of the Earth and NASA releasing them before he finally changed his mind. I genuinely don't recall specifics, but I do remember rolling my eyes and thinking that the guy's a fucking oaf. Feel free to dismiss this (no citation - fair play) but I'd be hard pressed to care less.

Maybe he strikes you as a quick-witted and erudite kinda guy but I'm sceptical: I think if you removed him from the studio (no monitor, no earpiece, no behind-the-scenes lackeys scrambling around trying to marshal facts and figures for him), the Joe Rogan "experience" would be an entirely different affair. But hey, I could be wrong, maybe he'd run rings around Stephen Hawking?

Oh, and personal/subjective opinion of his stand-up: cut 'n' paste stuff, some of it funny, most of it dull as fuck. He follows the standard yank formula: yell a lot and make sure to say "bitch" and "mother fucker" as often as possible. All that's missing are spitoon sound effects, random audience members shouting "yeehaw, y'all" and perhaps the outbreak of a mass shooting or two.

I'd sooner listen to Watson do an eight hour routine about the evils of douche... :twatson:
I wouldn't take everything Rogan says about conspiracy and alternative theories seriously. He is after all trying to put on a show.
What he seems to do is entertain ideas non-skeptically, and then he either champions the idea or takes a contrarian position depending on what makes the best entertainment. He will let somebody like Graham Hancock prattle of for hours because he can, and with somebody less articulate like Bobo Faye he says, "It's bullshit, come on, convince me".

I am not sure why we would even try to consider him /ourguy/ anyway as he is an entertainer, which is why he did Joe Rogan Questions Everything in the first place.

screwtape
.
.
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21789

Post by screwtape » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:21 am

Brive1987 wrote: It’s getting a bit warm today.

http://i.imgur.com/h1JxWpA.jpg
It's warmed up a bit here, too:
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 9.18.45 AM.png
(90.16 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21790

Post by jet_lagg » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:30 am

Shatterface wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:22 pm
I have a pretty large blu-ray collection by most standards (well over a thousand) but I have hardly any musicals.

It's not that I don't enjoy them - I grew up watching them - but I've never gotten around to collecting them and I probably should start building up a library.

What are the essentials I need?

I have The Wizard of Oz, Blues Brothers and The Rocky Horror Picture Show (which I've still never seen!) but that's about it.
Singin' In the Rain, obviously, also Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music. Oh, and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. Only the classics will do.

screwtape
.
.
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21791

Post by screwtape » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:39 am

The Johnny Depp version of Sweeney Todd is pretty good, and my especial weakness any classic Fred Astaire, but certainly The Gay Divorcee, Top Hat, Roberta and Swing Time.

InfraRedBucket
.
.
Posts: 1439
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21792

Post by InfraRedBucket » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:01 am

Sweet Charity has some great songs , a ever impressive Sammy Davis Junior and a young (not the nutjob she has become) and charming Shirley MacLaine though the story doesnt stay as much as some of the songs. Quite late 60s time capsule in places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Charity_(film)

feathers
.
.
Posts: 6113
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 am
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21793

Post by feathers » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:10 am

jet_lagg wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:30 am
Singin' In the Rain, obviously, also Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music. Oh, and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. Only the classics will do.
And oh yeah, Trey Parker's Cannibal! The Musical.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
Posts: 11855
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 pm
Location: Nice, France
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21794

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:11 am

Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny.

Nuff said.

jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21795

Post by jet_lagg » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:15 am

VickyCaramel wrote: You really have to wonder about the Alt-Right and Race Realists because I am pretty certain that this behaviour isn't IQ related. If I point something even remotely gun shaped at my dog it has the intelligence to run and hide. I am really surprised that they are not talking about impulse control and aggression.
They do talk about poor impulse control and aggression. If there's an emphasis on IQ it's only because that's where the science is solid and you don't have to rely on anecdote. Whatever the alt-right is they aren't stupid. Their strategy is better than ours (probably because ours consists of sticking our fucking heads in the sand), and we're going to get our asses kicked if we don't get ahead of the curve on this. Anyone who looks at the crime or IQ data can see there are group level differences. The debate needs to be refocused on why the alt-right is wrong *even if those differences exist*. Instead we get Adam Ruins Everything and other well-meaning (or are they? if they're deep cover right wing plants they're doing a brilliant fucking job) idiots trying to rip down entire fields of science because they don't like reality.


feathers
.
.
Posts: 6113
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 am
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21796

Post by feathers » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:16 am

Does Beyond the Valley of the Dolls count as musical? Or the original Valley, for that matter.

The original Valley of the Dolls is a somewhat dreary early incarnation of Showgirls, but Beyond is hilarious.


Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 7364
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21798

Post by Ape+lust » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:24 am

I've never much liked musicals, so it was years after I saw All That Jazz that it occurred to me that it actually was one. I suppose it's because the music interludes were organic to the story of a director-choreographer's life and not just people suddenly belting out songs. In any case, it's a terrific movie, musical or otherwise.

jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21799

Post by jet_lagg » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:26 am

feathers wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:30 am
Singin' In the Rain, obviously, also Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music. Oh, and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. Only the classics will do.
And oh yeah, Trey Parker's Cannibal! The Musical.
MarcusAu mentioned Oh Brother, Where Art Thou, which establishes the precedent any movie with a song in it is a musical. So, I'll also suggest Orgazmo.


screwtape wrote: The Johnny Depp version of Sweeney Todd is pretty good...
Going with more recent movies, Chicago was hysterical and had me humming the tunes for days.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21800

Post by Shatterface » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:37 am

I have Bugsy Malone on DVD. It's a timeless classic and I should upgrade to Bly-Ray.

I have several Marx Bros and a lot of Disney movies which are also musicals, I guess.

I also have a Thunderbirds movie that features a musical number by puppet versions of 'Cliff Richard Jr' (like that will ever happen) and the Shadows.


jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21801

Post by jet_lagg » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 am

Why do we hesitate to call Disney films musicals? They obviously are, and being part of my childhood they're some of my favorites but I still felt they didn't match the category. Is it just that live action is more "serious" (as if a genre with spontaneous song and dance numbers could be called serious)? That's why South Park was okay. They know they're joking.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21802

Post by Shatterface » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 am

jet_lagg wrote: Why do we hesitate to call Disney films musicals? They obviously are, and being part of my childhood they're some of my favorites but I still felt they didn't match the category. Is it just that live action is more "serious" (as if a genre with spontaneous song and dance numbers could be called serious)? That's why South Park was okay. They know they're joking.
I think we reach for the first description that comes to mind. Disney movies are instantly recognisable as 'animations,' Marx Brothers films are 'comedies'. On a moment's reflection, of course they are musicals too, but that description doesn't seem to define them in quite the same way.

The Wizard of Oz is fantasy. Bugsy Malone is a gangster movie. We think of them more as musicals because they seem to have more in common finally with Singing in the Rain than Conan the Barbarian or Scarface.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21803

Post by Shatterface » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:25 am

Tonally, not finally.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21804

Post by Bhurzum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:35 am

Shatterface wrote: We think of them more as musicals because they seem to have more in common finally with Singing in the Rain than Conan the Barbarian or Scarface.


:D

John D
.
.
Posts: 4570
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21805

Post by John D » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:47 am

West Side Story
Les Mis (yes.... I liked it... Redman is amazing as is Hathaway)
West Side Story
Chicago
West Side Story
South Pacific
West Side Story
Passion
West Side Story

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10620
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21806

Post by Lsuoma » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:54 am

Bhurzum wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:00 am
MarcusAu wrote: on the subject of Musicals - off the top of my head - I can recommend:

Tommy
Quadrophenia
The Wall
Paint Your Wagon
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
Bells are Ringing
Guys and Dolls
Singin' in the Rain
Tap
Robin and the 7 Hoods

I suppose technically the Marx Brothers films are musicals - but anyone interested probably already has them. Maybe you could start with The Jazz Singer - and pick one film from each decade.

Just stay away from anything with Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy in it.
No Bugsy Malone?

For shame...

https://78.media.tumblr.com/3bb222d3fb2 ... o1_500.gif
That's Dr. Bugsy Malone PhD to you, bastod!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10620
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21807

Post by Lsuoma » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:57 am

Did anyone mention Team America: World Police yet?

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21808

Post by Shatterface » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:59 am

Lsuoma wrote: Did anyone mention Team America: World Police yet?
Fuck, yeah!

DrokkIt
.
.
Posts: 1327
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:01 pm
Location: Brit-Cit
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21809

Post by DrokkIt » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:00 am

Re: musicals

Little Shop of Horrors is my fave.

John D
.
.
Posts: 4570
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21810

Post by John D » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:03 am

jet_lagg wrote: Why do we hesitate to call Disney films musicals? They obviously are, and being part of my childhood they're some of my favorites but I still felt they didn't match the category. Is it just that live action is more "serious" (as if a genre with spontaneous song and dance numbers could be called serious)? That's why South Park was okay. They know they're joking.
Ok ... then add.... Pinocchio, Snow White, and Beauty and the Beast

John D
.
.
Posts: 4570
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21811

Post by John D » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:04 am

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers... okay.... I will stop with single posts.

John D
.
.
Posts: 4570
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21812

Post by John D » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:08 am


Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21813

Post by Bhurzum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:13 am

Lsuoma wrote: That's Dr. Bugsy Malone PhD to you, bastod!
I was going to make a splooge gun/Carrier jape in my original comment but thought it would be in poor taste.

(struggling to keep a straight face)

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21814

Post by Shatterface » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:20 am

John D wrote: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers... okay...
Enough with the polyamory stuff!

feathers
.
.
Posts: 6113
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:12 am
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21815

Post by feathers » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:32 am

Shatterface wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:20 am
John D wrote: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers... okay...
Enough with the polyamory stuff!
I was more thinking like

https://www.indymedia.org.uk/images/2008/01/388796.jpg

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21816

Post by MarcusAu » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:39 am

jet_lagg wrote: ...

MarcusAu mentioned Oh Brother, Where Art Thou, which establishes the precedent any movie with a song in it is a musical. So, I'll also suggest Orgazmo.

...
There was more than one song in 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou' and even a Busby Berkeley inspired dance routine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPHZXqd4qpQ

It's probably easy to forget as most of the other songs were integrated fairly well into the plot.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21817

Post by MarcusAu » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:54 am

Bhurzum wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: That's Dr. Bugsy Malone PhD to you, bastod!
I was going to make a splooge gun/Carrier jape in my original comment but thought it would be in poor taste.

(struggling to keep a straight face)
By change I mentioned 'Bugsy Malone' a week or so ago - so was looking at some clips on Youtube - that film must call into question the proclivities of Alan Parker. I enjoyed it when I was younger, but lets just say things no longer hold up in relation to that film. I'm sure that some in Hollywood are calling for a remake though.

Well to elevate the tone how about: 'Brigadoon' for the authentic Scotch accents, and highland dancing.

I was always fascinated by the metaphysics of the place - it was the sort of thing that I would read about for hours in 'The Dictionary of Imaginary Places'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dicti ... ary_Places

shoutinghorse
.
.
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:01 am
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21818

Post by shoutinghorse » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:57 am

South Pacific.
Carousel.
Paint your Wagon.
Oliver.
The Jazz Singer. (1927 Al Jolson)
Meet me in St. Louis.

Are the greatest musicals ever made ... FACT! :snooty:

jugheadnaut
.
.
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:09 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21819

Post by jugheadnaut » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:08 am

Bhurzum wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote: Don't know what you're talking about. Rogan never believed in the flat Earth theory.
I lack the motivation to trawl through hours of video to find the quote but it is out there. Something about a recent (mid 2K's) satellite taking pictures of the Earth and NASA releasing them before he finally changed his mind. I genuinely don't recall specifics, but I do remember rolling my eyes and thinking that the guy's a fucking oaf. Feel free to dismiss this (no citation - fair play) but I'd be hard pressed to care less.
You may be confusing it with his position on the moon landing conspiracy theory. He says he was taken in at one point by some of the evidence and an engineer he knew who was a conspiricist, but once he looked at things more carefully, he realized his ignorance about physics and photography had led him astray and changed his mind.
Bhurzum wrote: Oh, and personal/subjective opinion of his stand-up: cut 'n' paste stuff, some of it funny, most of it dull as fuck. He follows the standard yank formula: yell a lot and make sure to say "bitch" and "mother fucker" as often as possible. All that's missing are spitoon sound effects, random audience members shouting "yeehaw, y'all" and perhaps the outbreak of a mass shooting or two.

I'd sooner listen to Watson do an eight hour routine about the evils of douche... :twatson:
I agree that the biggest knock against him as comic is that his style is very derivative. He does have a strong basic tool set, though. His stage presence is good, his comic timing is sound, and he's skilled at voices/impressions and sound effects.

John D
.
.
Posts: 4570
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21820

Post by John D » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:39 am

Oh mine Got! Haha. Honestly... if you haven't seen Seven Brides for Seven Brothers you really need to. The basic plot is that a bunch of brothers that live in the mountains come to town and kidnap girls to marry. And everyone is happy in the end. Jordan Peterson would love this one.!!!!


Guest_7cbd4721

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21821

Post by Guest_7cbd4721 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:43 am

There's a pic of FT's gummy bear desk in a Mental Floss article about the many uses of gummy bears.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/16022/ma ... ummi-bears

Yes, I googled gummy bear desk.

CaughtUpLockedOut

free thoughtpolice
.
.
Posts: 10322
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:27 pm
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21822

Post by free thoughtpolice » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:47 am

Ape+lust wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:39 pm
Netflix be to-the-minute trendy, yo ("Are you watch-shaming me?").

As clunky as Carrier grandstanding about "muh 15 girlfriends" for no discernable reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS08cWZrlQA
Not for the gaze of the toxicly monogamous. :naughty:

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead
Posts: 3969
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 am
Location: Lurking in a dumpster
Contact:

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

#21823

Post by Bhurzum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:11 am

jugheadnaut wrote: You may be confusing it with his position on the moon landing conspiracy theory. He says he was taken in at one point by some of the evidence and an engineer he knew who was a conspiricist, but once he looked at things more carefully, he realized his ignorance about physics and photography had led him astray and changed his mind.
Hmmm...you know what? I think you might be correct. As stated earlier, my memory of the specifics is very patchy plus I'm not really a fan. The only time I tune in to his podcast is when he has a guest on that I'm interested in. So yeah, if that's the case, sorry about that. My bad!
jugheadnaut wrote: I agree that the biggest knock against him as comic is that his style is very derivative. He does have a strong basic tool set, though. His stage presence is good, his comic timing is sound, and he's skilled at voices/impressions and sound effects.
Yup, I watched two of his shows (on YT) and cursed myself for taking a second bite of the turd sandwich. Don't get me wrong, he seems to be popular enough - the audience was laughing away at his material and both shows looked to be fully booked but he's just not my mug of piss.

Subjectivity and all that jazz.

There are acts I rant and rave about which would probably cause you to take hostages...but the less said about that, the better.

Locked