Old subthreads
feathers

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by feathers »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:22 am
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:02 am
I just think mandatory service gives youth some sense of direction. Whatever that means.
It makes them keep their room tidy, polish their boots and practice self-discipline. May not give them direction, but it probably gives them the discipline to pursue whatever goals they do come up with. Also teaches them to cooperate with others. Career soldiers, on the other hand, can become institutionalised and be completely lost in civvy land.
I'm not so sure about the self-discipline thing. From friends who did the service, I understand that some drafted recruits were so uneducated that the Handboek voor den Soldaat included a section on basic personal hygiene- washing and brushing your teeth, no kidding. So for this category, something useful was to be learned, but the others suffered a year of boredom.

Of most use it was for those who managed to learn a trade; car mechanics, for example. But that was for a minority managing to get into the right company. The others were eating sand and peeling potatoes in a military force which would have been erased by the first five Russian SS-20s.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sunder wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: I'm sympathetic to the Starship Troopers idea, as long as service isn't just in the military, but any kind of voluntary civic service. If you want a say in how your nation is ruled, do something for it, even if it's just many hours of cleaning streets or helping elderly people.
Plenty of countries have mandatory civil or public service, but that's a step removed from making basic rights conditional upon doing them.

Once you place a single hurdle in front of the voting booth, you open the door to abuse, manipulation, and disenfranchisement.

One man one vote is the worst system except for all the other ones that have been tried.
I agree that it would be easy to manipulate the system, and anyway I don't think that the idea would be accepted very easily. However there are already plenty of voting suppression tactics going on in any liberal democracy, from gerrymandering to striking out felons to voting systems which make sure that two-party systems are the only possible outcome.

But you're right, now that I think about it from a more practical point of view, considering how hard it would be to implement the voting for service structure fairly, perhaps it'd be better to just make civil service voluntary but not tie it to voting rights but to other appealing rewards. Maybe good performance in civil service could count as good references for a job? This would make civil service appealing to unemployed youths, get a foot in the door and get some qualifications. Workfare instead of only welfare. I don't know, I'm spitballing.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Old_ones wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:47 am
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Based

As an addendum, I actually think her handle is a rip off of CH Sommers, who was being called "Based Grandma" by gamergaters a few years ago (a handle that she embraced and jokingly used herself). When people started talking about "based momma" in connection with the Killroy event, that is originally who I thought they were talking about. I'm not sure if she is deliberately trying to confuse people, but maybe the borderline moniker plagiarism is another sign of a not so amazing IQ.
I thought 'based' was an honorary title bestowed upon you by others. Using it for yourself is like buying the title of 'Count'.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:22 am
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:02 am
I just think mandatory service gives youth some sense of direction. Whatever that means.
It makes them keep their room tidy, polish their boots and practice self-discipline. May not give them direction, but it probably gives them the discipline to pursue whatever goals they do come up with. Also teaches them to cooperate with others. Career soldiers, on the other hand, can become institutionalised and be completely lost in civvy land.
I'm not so sure about the self-discipline thing. From friends who did the service, I understand that some drafted recruits were so uneducated that the Handboek voor den Soldaat included a section on basic personal hygiene- washing and brushing your teeth, no kidding. So for this category, something useful was to be learned, but the others suffered a year of boredom.

Of most use it was for those who managed to learn a trade; car mechanics, for example. But that was for a minority managing to get into the right company. The others were eating sand and peeling potatoes in a military force which would have been erased by the first five Russian SS-20s.
That's why I think that civil service is more productive, especially if it's focused towards giving good references/teaching some practical.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sunder wrote: Come on man, don't you remember the book that got Sam Harris's name on the map was "Letter to an Islamic Nation"? Or Dawk's even more infamous "The Allah Delusion?"

Can Peez go crawl back to the mirror universe he apparently believes he came from?
Along with Ogvorbis and his mirror universe where it was critics of the SocJus who called from excluding people according to their outlook and thoughts.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

shoutinghorse wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: I'd be happy to strip the Rebecca Watson's of the world of their voting rights.
Sorry no. as odious as even that vacuous cunt is, I would never take away her right to vote. Nor anyone else unless they were in prison.
Yeah. With the horse on this one. Our democracies may be flawed, but they are broadly based. That's whey they are stable. Any narrowing of the base is a step backwards. For one thing the idiot revolutionaries would gain support by claiming the aim of broadening the base of government.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:47 pm
My 20 yo son got his first $50 fine for not exiting his university pre-exam study to attend to some rando local council vote.
A poor student did the mental calculation and decided he would rather pay $ than participate.
No voting by proxy?

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

feathers wrote:
Old_ones wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:47 am
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Based

As an addendum, I actually think her handle is a rip off of CH Sommers, who was being called "Based Grandma" by gamergaters a few years ago (a handle that she embraced and jokingly used herself). When people started talking about "based momma" in connection with the Killroy event, that is originally who I thought they were talking about. I'm not sure if she is deliberately trying to confuse people, but maybe the borderline moniker plagiarism is another sign of a not so amazing IQ.
I thought 'based' was an honorary title bestowed upon you by others. Using it for yourself is like buying the title of 'Count'.
Well, I don't know anything about that, but the term "Count" can be self applied, as long as you are a Black Metal musician.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/fac ... kernes.jpg

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

There must be more than one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwi26P40rTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej6hLbFSLGg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I'm a bit concerned my one vote per family concept hasn't gained traction. I hope this explaination clears things up.

https://i.imgur.com/5sXeDCN.jpg

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:28 pm
Ogvorbis pitches in with his ideas as to what killed movement atheism:
It’s like anything else. The only way to have unity in a movement is to remove everyone who is different — in thought, looks, education, outlook, not having a penis (or failing to worship penises), etc. What you have left is unity. Much the same way that the GOP has achieved unity. Though, after Bannon’s Breitbart Bomb, unity seems to be slipping away from God’s Own Party.
The GOP has unity? With a bunch of people who hate the gut of their own president?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Can anyone with two brain cells tell my one cell what the pretty dots mean?
Apparently the race “debate” has been solved ....

:lol:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

feathers wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:47 pm
My 20 yo son got his first $50 fine for not exiting his university pre-exam study to attend to some rando local council vote.
A poor student did the mental calculation and decided he would rather pay $ than participate.
No voting by proxy?
“Vote early and vote often” eh?

Keating

Post by Keating »

Brive1987 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 am
I'm a bit concerned my one vote per family concept hasn't gained traction. I hope this explaination clears things up.

I do think it's bad that a lot of politicians don't have children. I think having an investment in the future is important to trust that a leader will think longer than the next election cycle. (Yes, I'm aware this isn't necessarily sufficient, but it's the best proxy I can see.)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I'll take that as a seconding. Motion can proceed to debate and a vote.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I'll take that as a seconding. Motion can proceed to debate and a vote.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote: Can anyone with two brain cells tell my one cell what the pretty dots mean?

It is seems to be a graph of a principal component analysis of a variance of...something. Without context this means really little except that according to the graph (based on which data?) different ethnic populations (with every dot representing an individual and each color an ethnicity) differ for different component which give variance for a trait or series of traits (which ones?). Without knowing which study is this graph from, which data the study used, what it is measuring, etc., the graph is meaningless.

mike150160

Post by mike150160 »

Brive1987 wrote: I'll take that as a seconding. Motion can proceed to debate and a vote.
Two motions!

You're definitely a productive unit.

mike150160

Post by mike150160 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Can anyone with two brain cells tell my one cell what the pretty dots mean?

It is seems to be a graph of a principal component analysis of a variance of...something. Without context this means really little except that according to the graph (based on which data?) different ethnic populations (with every dot representing an individual and each color an ethnicity) differ for different component which give variance for a trait or series of traits (which ones?). Without knowing which study is this graph from, which data the study used, what it is measuring, etc., the graph is meaningless.
Weird. Unless America refers solely to Native Americans, why is it separate from Europeans?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: ction cycle. (Yes, I'm aware this isn't necessarily sufficient, but it
Have you broached the subject with the rest of your family unit?

To let them know the good news that there will be no further fines for them not turning up to vote, I mean.

I suspect the push back you get locally might be more vigorous than anything you might encounter here.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Basically:

-each dot is a score of something, likely connected to an individual (I'm saying this because there's "850 individuals" written on the graph);

-each color represents an ethnicity, as it is written in the graph

-PC1 is the principal component 1, one factor which influences the score

-PC2 is the principal component 2, another factor which influences the score

-the graph shows that the individuals belonging to several different ethnicities seems to cluster around a spectrum of PC1 and PC2 scores

-in the same graph the individuals belonging to a specific ethnicity seem to cluster in a very different way

But again, without knowing what is measured, how it was measured, and which study used the graph for what reason the graph by itself tells us nothing. It could be a graph based on data about allergy to bees for all we know.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

It's the 'Skeptics' (or 'YouTube Skeptics' if you want to be charitable) vs the 'Alt-Right' in a fight to the finish. No quarter asked and none given. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. Those who live by the meme will die by the meme. Etc, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zKTY7lhuzs

I suspect there will be more collateral damage by the time this is over.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Brive1987 wrote: I'll take that as a seconding. Motion can proceed to debate and a vote.
Unfortunately, I've already promised a former colleague that I'd support his attempt to become king of Australia.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

what a lurvely bunch of very proud boys we have there

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Keating wrote:
Unfortunately, I've already promised a former colleague that I'd support his attempt to become king of Australia.
Wikipedia - the fount of all knowledge (both correct and otherwise) - tells me he's dead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_A ... of_Loudoun

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: ction cycle. (Yes, I'm aware this isn't necessarily sufficient, but it

To let them know the good news that there will be no further fines for them not turning up to vote, I mean.

I suspect the push back you get locally might be more vigorous than anything you might encounter here.
MarcusAu wrote:

MarcusAu wrote:

I did actually troll my daughter who was wonderfully outraged. I suspect my son will support the idea as he has similarly fascist ideas about who should gain access to European museums. My wife doesnt get to have an opinion.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I tend not be a religious - but both Zeus and Kronos did seem to have valid concerns.

Sleep tight Brive...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

what the honest to fuck hell? i have been reduced to a Surface ...... but wow.

i have tweeted a "please explain" to Ms Volk. I have also dm'ed a request for braid-pics

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

They're not sending their best.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

It's 2018 (current year)...does anyone else see a need for a new title for the thread?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

This seems catchy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_eMt7m0zB0

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

MarcusAu wrote: It's 2018 (current year)...does anyone else see a need for a new title for the thread?
IT'S 2018 MY DUDES

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote: It's 2018 (current year)...does anyone else see a need for a new title for the thread?
How about "Chop Chop - there's a good girl"?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Meanwhile here's an issue about women's rights and secularism that might be of interest to PeeZee&friends if they stopped yapping about how horrible Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris are: Turkish child marriage religious document sparks anger
Turkey's main opposition party has called for a parliamentary inquiry after the directorate of religious affairs said that, under Islamic law, girls as young as nine could marry.

The comments by the Diyanet prompted an outpouring of anger on social media from Turkish women's groups.

The directorate insisted it was only defining points of Islamic law.

Turkey's legal age of marriage is 18 but the practice of underage weddings in religious ceremonies is widespread.
The current outcry was started by a statement on adolescence posted online by the Diyanet, the state body which administers religious institutions and education.

It said that, according to Islamic law, the beginning of adolescence for boys was the age of 12 and for girls the age of nine. On the same website, it said that whoever reached the age of adolescence had the right to marry.
In recent years Turkey has seen increasing tension between supporters of its secular constitution and those who favour religious conservatism.

In 2016 the government withdrew a bill that pardoned men convicted of sex with underage girls if they had married them.

Critics said it would legitimise statutory rape and encourage the practice of taking child brides.

The bill had sparked street protests across Turkey and was condemned abroad
Though I'm guessing that talking about this and not saying that "the West is Just as bad because we have Harvey Weinstein" is likely Islamophobic in some way, the real bad guys are Dawkins and Harris who dared to criticize islam instead of The Patriarchy and all men :bjarte:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Imagine that, religious texts, like the ahadith about Mohammed's marriage to a nine year old girl, being used to justify bad behavior, like child marriage. It looks like an issue for some kind of movement based about stern criticism of religious excuses for bad behavior...you may call this movement "secularist", maybe? And maybe argue that religious influence on laws IS kind of a big issue?

Probably this is SO 2008 though. We have more important things to talk about, like how much damage Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris did by daring to say that islam influenced terrorism in the name of islam.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

piginthecity wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:48 pm
shoutinghorse wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: I'd be happy to strip the Rebecca Watson's of the world of their voting rights.
Sorry no. as odious as even that vacuous cunt is, I would never take away her right to vote. Nor anyone else unless they were in prison.
Yeah. With the horse on this one. Our democracies may be flawed, but they are broadly based. That's whey they are stable. Any narrowing of the base is a step backwards. For one thing the idiot revolutionaries would gain support by claiming the aim of broadening the base of government.
You really think people would be more willing to violently overthrow the government to broaden the base than they would be to mass enlist in civic service (non-violent options available) to accomplish the same exact thing? I'm talking about the Heinlein concept, where service is entirely voluntary and open to everyone regardless of ability. Exceptions would be made in certain cases, like the mentally retarded or criminally insane, but I don't see how this is any more restrictive than what we actually do right now in most democracies (felons and children can't vote), let alone how it would be some kind of paradigm shift away from freedom. The biggest danger would be in special interest groups vying for control of the culture of the civic service, but things like unit cohesion and mission success are so integral to any such service and themselves so grounded in realities, both physical and psychological, that I see it as having natural resistance to cancers like post modernism and the SJW left.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

They don't give a fuck about the dangers of islamism because they have never been subjected to it. They have no fucking idea what they're talking about. Fuck them, the "useful idiots".

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Oh God. Hotep Jesus follows her. He's the editor of http://hotepnation.com/ for those who aren't up to date on super obscure twitter subcultures. They're sort of like an even more confused alt-right for black people.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Brive1987 wrote:

I see a system designed to maximise production of children. Possibly a valid way to fight back against those who already make more babies, but given the Malthusian nature of population, you may still hasten your own end.

But on to more important things: who gets to decide who to use the one vote? He, she or internecine family referendum? Would it be grounds for divorce when one spouse gets up early on election day and expends the vote in some other way than that agreed upon by all (where 'all' is defined as 'wife')? Would cross-party marriage be an issue? Beware the red in the bed?

Seriously, my preference is to have a stupidly easy to pass civics class in high school that must be passed before you can vote. Anyone else (an immigrant, say) can also take the test as often as they like, but no one votes without it. Something at the level to which I had to be able to regurgitate the duties of a Canadian citizen, how elections and parliament function and some very basic history in front of a citizenship judge when I gained my second passport. Yes, this might exclude the mentally handicapped, and those who strongly disagree with the existing system and are unable to conceal their contempt, but we don't want them voting anyway, do we?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I've got a better idea. Leave the fucking electoral system as it is.

Once you concede that it is conditional you won't be the ones setting those conditions.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

screwtape wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

I see a system designed to maximise production of children. Possibly a valid way to fight back against those who already make more babies, but given the Malthusian nature of population, you may still hasten your own end.

But on to more important things: who gets to decide who to use the one vote? He, she or internecine family referendum? Would it be grounds for divorce when one spouse gets up early on election day and expends the vote in some other way than that agreed upon by all (where 'all' is defined as 'wife')? Would cross-party marriage be an issue? Beware the red in the bed?

Seriously, my preference is to have a stupidly easy to pass civics class in high school that must be passed before you can vote. Anyone else (an immigrant, say) can also take the test as often as they like, but no one votes without it. Something at the level to which I had to be able to regurgitate the duties of a Canadian citizen, how elections and parliament function and some very basic history in front of a citizenship judge when I gained my second passport. Yes, this might exclude the mentally handicapped, and those who strongly disagree with the existing system and are unable to conceal their contempt, but we don't want them voting anyway, do we?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ74-6kdxbU

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

jet_lagg wrote: Oh God. Hotep Jesus follows her. He's the editor of http://hotepnation.com/ for those who aren't up to date on super obscure twitter subcultures. They're sort of like an even more confused alt-right for black people.
I was just going to mention 'Jim Goad's Group Hug' podcast:

https://soundcloud.com/jim-goad

In episode 1 he interviews Uncle Hotep (also known as 'Handy Mayhem' on YouTube).

You will find much to disagree with there, I'm sure. Which is sort of the point.

(nb Before anyone asks - I don't disavow Jim Goad, as I never 'vowed' him in the first place)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

But maybe 2018 identifies as a 2017?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

jet_lagg wrote: Oh God. Hotep Jesus follows her. He's the editor of http://hotepnation.com/ for those who aren't up to date on super obscure twitter subcultures. They're sort of like an even more confused alt-right for black people.
Just had a look at their FAQs. If you cut out the Egyptian nonsense and the 'Hotep Homemade Woke Water', they seem largely about the idea that black people should get off their asses, sort their own shit out and stop blaming whitey for everything. Seems pretty reasonable to me. They aren't big fans of BLM, either.
BLM will not acknowledge the black on black crime in the community while Hoteps do.
'We wuz kangs' or not, this automatically places the Hoteps on a higher plane of reasoning than BLM, if nothing else.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The Not-So-Foxy Folklorist is attending a Sex Positivity Conference, where she'll join other folks with sexual hang=ups to talk about how not hung up about sex they are.
if your sex education is only about risk and coming from a fear-based place, that means you won’t be talking about pleasure. If your sex ed focuses on pregnancy prevention alone, you won’t have room for conversations that include folks for whom pregnancy isn’t a thing (people who don’t have penis-in-vagina sex; intersex or infertile folks for whom that isn’t an option)
She's presenting a paper: “Trans Tales and Queer Witches: Sex-Positive Images and Resources in Folklore.” That should be a hoot.

Instead of the standard Patheos clipart, she decided to illustrate her post with a photo of her foxy self giving a 'come hither ... okay not that hither, right there will do fine' look.
me_so_foxy.jpg
(68.21 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/foxyfolklo ... ence-come/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

SexPosCon 2018's theme is “Strengths, Well-being, and Happiness”. A much catchier slogan would've been "Strength Through Joy."

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: SexPosCon 2018's theme is “Strengths, Well-being, and Happiness”. A much catchier slogan would've been "Strength Through Joy."
Thank goodness for this - it makes 'Kilroy' and 'The Atheist Conference' both look sane by comparison.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Brive1987 wrote: I'm a bit concerned my one vote per family concept hasn't gained traction. I hope this explaination clears things up.

That's the stupidest way to define productivity that I've ever seen given that our world is vastly overpopulated. Maybe we should be taking voting rights away from breeders on the theory that you all are too busy to use your brains, and therefore incapable of making an informed decision.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

What is sex? What is consent? Feminists, sex educators, sex positive scholars, and others have been grappling with these questions for decades now.
Because you’re all fucked up and couldn’t leave well-enough alone.
I’ve written about this over at my sex ed blog, calling it the puzzle box model of sex. The gist is women are puzzle boxes, just waiting to have the right button pushed or level pulled so that a tasty sex treat will fall out of her, into the hands of whichever man has been so fortunate and persistent....
This is what happens when you feminists surround yourselves with virgin neckbeards and sneaky fuckers.
if sex is something that can be given, an item, then when someone “withdraws” it that can feel shitty. What kind of crummy human being gives you something, and then takes it back? Like, if I loaned you an umbrella and asked for it back, that’d be one thing. But if I gave you the umbrella and then demanded it back – say, on a rainy day when you’d been planning on using it – that would be annoying and inconvenient, or it could even ruin your day (if you had your laptop with you in a flimsy bag, and you were relying on the umbrella to protect it).
What a coincidence! My metaphor for sex is also ‘an umbrella protecting a laptop in a flimsy bag on a rainy day’!

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/foxyfolklo ... s-consent/

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Tigzy wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:59 am
BLM will not acknowledge the black on black crime in the community while Hoteps do.
'We wuz kangs' or not, this automatically places the Hoteps on a higher plane of reasoning than BLM, if nothing else.
That's not a very high bar. But yes, I like the Hotep's general attitude of confronting problems head on through your own agency. It's just funny to see the black nationalist Egyptian LARPers having a social media romance with the white nationalist Aryan LARPers.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:59 am
That's not a very high bar. But yes, I like the Hotep's general attitude of confronting problems head on through your own agency. It's just funny to see the black nationalist Egyptian LARPers having a social media romance with the white nationalist Aryan LARPers.
It's happened before, the Nation of Islam apparently hosted a neo-nazi as a speaker. Indeed now that I think about it I don't find it illogical: both groups hate interracial relationships and a society based on individual rights, not identity politics.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

screwtape wrote: Seriously, my preference is to have a stupidly easy to pass civics class in high school that must be passed before you can vote. Anyone else (an immigrant, say) can also take the test as often as they like, but no one votes without it. Something at the level to which I had to be able to regurgitate the duties of a Canadian citizen, how elections and parliament function and some very basic history in front of a citizenship judge when I gained my second passport. Yes, this might exclude the mentally handicapped, and those who strongly disagree with the existing system and are unable to conceal their contempt, but we don't want them voting anyway, do we?
It could also exclude people with low socioeconomic status - people who live in impoverished urban or rural areas tend to have access to schools which are lower quality than those found in affluent areas. Maybe this is a US thing - we tend to use property taxes to pay for our schools.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

When Malcolm X Met the Nazis. I wasn't around for that one, obviously, but the Hotep alliance with the alt-right feels much more chummy to me. I don't know of any instances of Malcom X's crew saying the Nazi's were free to join up. It does make sense though. Both groups believe in self reliance and want the races to stick to their own communities. Dogmatic leftists hate this because it's better to have an integrated and self-professed miserable society that can at least theoretically one day achieve the multicultural utopian dream than it is to allow people to pursue a mutually desirable segregation.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Old_ones wrote: When Malcolm X Met the Nazis. I wasn't around for that one, obviously, but the Hotep alliance with the alt-right feels much more chummy to me. I don't know of any instances of Malcom X's crew saying the Nazi's were free to join up. It does make sense though. Both groups believe in self reliance and want the races to stick to their own communities. Dogmatic leftists hate this because it's better to have an integrated and self-professed miserable society that can at least theoretically one day achieve the multicultural utopian dream than it is to allow people to pursue a mutually desirable segregation.
To be fair I think that the American system for financing schools is one of the reasons why the US is thoroughly screwed when it comes to addressing chronic poverty. How can you seriously claim that you're promoting meritocracy if the quality of your publicly-funded schools is determined by local property taxes? This system seems to me to be the perfect recipe to perpetuate perennial poverty in areas where poor people live.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote: #21449 Post by jet_lagg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:37 pm
When Malcolm X Met the Nazis. I wasn't around for that one, obviously, but the Hotep alliance with the alt-right feels much more chummy to me. I do
jet_lagg wrote: When Malcolm X Met the Nazis. I wasn't around for that one, obviously, but the Hotep alliance with the alt-right feels much more chummy to me. I don't know of any instances of Malcom X's crew saying the Nazi's were free to join up. It does make sense though. Both groups believe in self reliance and want the races to stick to their own communities. Dogmatic leftists hate this because it's better to have an integrated and self-professed miserable society that can at least theoretically one day achieve the multicultural utopian dream than it is to allow people to pursue a mutually desirable segregation.
I think that both groups are, quite frankly, idiotic and counterproductive. Segregation only produces ghettoes and authoritarian rule of "community leaders". The problem with SocJus multiculturalism is that it wants people to co-exist in a way that is all about guilt, shame and enhancing some identities. The real way to integrate people of different ethnic origin is to STOP FOCUSING on ethnicity so much.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Old_ones wrote:
screwtape wrote: Seriously, my preference is to have a stupidly easy to pass civics class in high school that must be passed before you can vote. Anyone else (an immigrant, say) can also take the test as often as they like, but no one votes without it. Something at the level to which I had to be able to regurgitate the duties of a Canadian citizen, how elections and parliament function and some very basic history in front of a citizenship judge when I gained my second passport. Yes, this might exclude the mentally handicapped, and those who strongly disagree with the existing system and are unable to conceal their contempt, but we don't want them voting anyway, do we?
It could also exclude people with low socioeconomic status - people who live in impoverished urban or rural areas tend to have access to schools which are lower quality than those found in affluent areas. Maybe this is a US thing - we tend to use property taxes to pay for our schools.
Even a wretched school in a wretched area would be able to teach something as basic as this. Essentially, you show up and get even a small idea of what is going on and you will pass.

I never knew that local districts in the USA determine through their taxes if their kids will get educated or not until this happened: I drove to Glace Bay, NS, to take a trip down the undersea coalmine (many of my close relatives were coalminers in the north of England, and several died in the mines, so I have reason to be interested), and whilst I waited for it to open, I sat and listened to a guy from the USA explain to his German friend that he had lucked out in buying nice property in a district where the taxes for schools were so low as to be negligible, yet he could send his kids into a neighbouring district where the taxes were high, the school funding was high, and the outcomes were exceptional. And this rotten shit wouldn't pay a penny for any of it. I doubt he learned a thing about human effort versus outcome down that mine tour, but that's how market forces work, right? That cunt cleverly figured out how to make his neighbours pay for the education of his offspring. Evolution in action, we might say, substituting market forces for gene pressure. Well, perhaps, but still a bit abhorrent to a child of Attlee's society such as myself. If we live in social groups because our best adaptation for success is having big brains that let us co-operate, then let us co-operate as much as we can! Don't profit from exploiting someone who is, essentially, your own neighbour, but try to profit from Johnny Foreigner wherever you can. It's the only remaining form of rqcism allowed, if that makes it more attractive!

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Had to be said:
women are puzzle boxes, just waiting to have the right button pushed or level pulled so that a tasty sex treat will fall out of her
I'm not really into scat but I've heard there are websites devoted to stuff like this.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote: Had to be said:
women are puzzle boxes, just waiting to have the right button pushed or level pulled so that a tasty sex treat will fall out of her
I'm not really into scat but I've heard there are websites devoted to stuff like this.
Maybe she was thinking of this:

John D

Post by John D »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Old_ones wrote: When Malcolm X Met the Nazis. I wasn't around for that one, obviously, but the Hotep alliance with the alt-right feels much more chummy to me. I don't know of any instances of Malcom X's crew saying the Nazi's were free to join up. It does make sense though. Both groups believe in self reliance and want the races to stick to their own communities. Dogmatic leftists hate this because it's better to have an integrated and self-professed miserable society that can at least theoretically one day achieve the multicultural utopian dream than it is to allow people to pursue a mutually desirable segregation.
To be fair I think that the American system for financing schools is one of the reasons why the US is thoroughly screwed when it comes to addressing chronic poverty. How can you seriously claim that you're promoting meritocracy if the quality of your publicly-funded schools is determined by local property taxes? This system seems to me to be the perfect recipe to perpetuate perennial poverty in areas where poor people live.
Two decades ago Michigan started funding schools state-wide. Since then our school performance has dropped way down compared to other states. The solution is not so simple. While it is more "fair" to fund schools more evenly, it looks like this lack of local control damages all schools. The state sets the funding so the local districts have trouble arguing for more funding and they have more trouble with parent involvement. I think the effect is that the best school suffer and their performance drops. At the same time, any increase in funding to poor performing school doesn't help that much.... in many of these schools the funding is not the problem. The problem is a culture in families that do not value education. You can throw more money at some people and it makes no difference.

Of course, Michigan is just one lesson. Every place is different. Unfortunately, the citizens of Michigan do not value education as much as most states (proven using national surveys). So... even when the schools are well funded, the families of Michigan, who don't care as much, will produce less educated children. Michigan has a unique history as well. You used to be able to get a factory job in Detroit with a 6th grade education and buy a nice house and have a safe retirement. This whole economic model has collapsed. So, Detroit is stuck with a history of low education, but no longer has many factory jobs.

John D

Post by John D »

screwtape wrote:
Old_ones wrote:
Even a wretched school in a wretched area would be able to teach something as basic as this. Essentially, you show up and get even a small idea of what is going on and you will pass.

I never knew that local districts in the USA determine through their taxes if their kids will get educated or not until this happened: I drove to Glace Bay, NS, to take a trip down the undersea coalmine (many of my close relatives were coalminers in the north of England, and several died in the mines, so I have reason to be interested), and whilst I waited for it to open, I sat and listened to a guy from the USA explain to his German friend that he had lucked out in buying nice property in a district where the taxes for schools were so low as to be negligible, yet he could send his kids into a neighbouring district where the taxes were high, the school funding was high, and the outcomes were exceptional. And this rotten shit wouldn't pay a penny for any of it. I doubt he learned a thing about human effort versus outcome down that mine tour, but that's how market forces work, right? That cunt cleverly figured out how to make his neighbours pay for the education of his offspring. Evolution in action, we might say, substituting market forces for gene pressure. Well, perhaps, but still a bit abhorrent to a child of Attlee's society such as myself. If we live in social groups because our best adaptation for success is having big brains that let us co-operate, then let us co-operate as much as we can! Don't profit from exploiting someone who is, essentially, your own neighbour, but try to profit from Johnny Foreigner wherever you can. It's the only remaining form of rqcism allowed, if that makes it more attractive!
It is a very rare exception that someone can find a property, pay low taxes, and still get their kid into a highly funded school. The guy found a very lucky deal for himself. He must have found a property just outside a rapidly growing suburb that included a few properties in another township or something. This is rare... that's all I'm saying.

It is more common for people to lie about where they live in the US so they can put their kids in a better school. My wife does enrollment for our school as the secretary there. She requires a mountain of paperwork from parents to get proof of where they live. Some people pretend to live with their parents and such as well. I don't blame people for trying to get their kids in a good school. The US has very little school choice and some schools are complete shit. Of course, the worst schools are normally bad because the parents and students are not education focused. Some schools are literal war zones and the students spend their time trying to avoid getting robbed and beat up.