In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Ape+lust »

MarcusAu wrote: Manson must have been glad to have shuffled off before something really damaging came out.
If he'd only become a brave and stunning woman like Richard Speck, we'd call whatever spilled out of his closet the recklessness of testosterone-poisoned youth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slm_YDzx4vI

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

MarcusAu wrote: Dashed good show...

...and on a related note, I'm slowly working my way though 'The Steel Bonnets'
I read that. I thought it was pretty good. Seemed to accurately reflect what I already knew and I learned stuff I did not.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I'm not going to get dramatic over anyone's art. This includes "art" like dropping shit out of your vagina onto a canvas. I am perfectly happy calling out work that is pretentious wank though. If someone thinks abstract expressionism is better than romanticism, it's because their opinion is wrong. Objectively wrong. The most I'll concede to them is that they subjectively prefer objective wank, whereas most people don't.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John D wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:27 pm
John D wrote: I worked with a man who migrated to the US from Lebanon whose name was Jihad. He was a Catholic. He said his name really meant that he was full of faith. He asked us to call him Jay for obvious reasons. He was a hard worker, honest, a family man. One of the more decent guys I have known.
You think he was honest when he told you jihad actually meant full of faith? You sure he was Catholic? His middle name wasn't Taqiyya was it?
Yeah - he and I and one other coworker often talked about how the Muslims destroyed his homeland of Lebanon... haha. Seriously, the Lebanese Christians I know dislike Muslims more than I do.
Muslims sure do have a problematic tendency to make shitholes out of wherever they emigrate to, much like the places they came from; of particular note is the fahrenheit211 link:

And a more recent case-in-point on Lebanese Muslims (one assumes) in Germany:
Germany: Surge in Migrant Attacks on Police
"Migrants Have No Respect for Us"

"The police cannot win a war with the Lebanese because we outnumber them.... This applies to all of Gelsenkirchen, if we so choose." — Lebanese clan in Gelsenkirchen, Germany.

Violent attacks against German police have reached epidemic proportions, and Chancellor Angela Merkel's open-door migration policy is to blame, official statistics show.

The Federal Criminal Police Office (Bundeskriminalamt, BKA) reported 36,755 attacks against German police in 2016 — or an average of 100 per day, a significant increase over previous years. ...
Ah, "multi-culturalism" FTW ...

Seems to be similar incidents in Sweden, that other bastion of the Enlightenment "feminist" revolution:

Going to be blood in the streets if the powers that be don't read the Riot Act to Muslims. There still may be but ounce of prevention, stitch in time, and all that ...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

jet_lagg wrote: I'm not sure if the anger is about my choice in paintings or if the entire romantic era is now tarred blackened & cunted by association with the N-C Hypothesis.
FTFY ... ;-)

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

The water must get cut off a lot in lil' ol' Alameda town. :twatson:

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Over at Freethoughtblogs, Mano Singham posts a piece on how ex-muslims travelling a rough road, even in the US. One comment so far:
sonofrojblake says
November 29, 2017 at 4:15 pm
If only FtB had a blogger who could cover this experience.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Dont know if this tweet will show as preview just says "loading tweet"

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

InfraRedBucket wrote: Dont know if this tweet will show as preview just says "loading tweet"

No it didn't. Something up with tweets displaying in the the forum now, though they worked earlier.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Mao-yers is planning the great leap forward. Who's in?

https://i.imgur.com/ujC04kW.png

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

is no more, has ceased to be, bereft of life, it rests in peace, it is an ex-tweet.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Poosibly the error was due to the tweet being moved or pinned on Petersen's Twitter line.
Here it is.
Looks like Wells has chickened out.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
SM1957 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:53 am
Donald J. Trump (yes, that one) is retweeting Jayna Fransen (yes, that one) tweets.
President Steersman. :P
:-) I'll just remain the power behind the throne ... ;-)

Though others are weighing in to at least criticize those who attack Trump for his RTs:

But really rather deeply "problematic" that so many of our "politicians" are so quick to pander to the Muslim vote, our own luna-tic of a Prime Minister, the "estimable" but Muslim-ass-kissing Justin Trudeau, being a particularly odious case-in-point:

The start of that thread was a tweet by a Conservative MP, Candice Bergen, who's been raking the Liberals & Trudeau over the coals for their removal of a reference to FGM in the Citizenship Guide for prospective or new immigrants; there's a link there to a petition to reinstate that reference that Canadians may wish to consider signing (haven't yet but on my list of things to do):

Never been more disgusted with a politician and a political party than I am with Trudeau and the rather misnamed "Liberals".

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

jet_lagg wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:46 pm
Much art that we now deem canonical—Jackson Pollock’s drip paintings, for instance—would have struck nineteenth-century art patrons as incomprehensible garbage.
Jackson Pollock’s drip paintings, always have been, and always will be, incomprehensible garbage
snip

https://images.metmuseum.org/CRDImages/ ... 259920.jpg

https://d32dm0rphc51dk.cloudfront.net/Y ... larger.jpg

I'm comfortable saying the 19th century had it right.
I loved making pictures like these at the fair when I was a kid. The cardboard went on a spinning wheel and you squirted paint at it through the grill. Good times.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

DW Adams wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:45 am
The next Bingo square goes to.........Garrison Keillor. Collect your prize at the door.

We might as well start a betting pool website at this rate.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Ape+lust wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:45 am
feathers wrote:
Ape+lust wrote: #qr_postform {position:relative !important}
It be gonne! Thanks a thousand!
Great! You probably should hang on to the instructions so you can undo it, because I think the Boss is trying to work out a fix that suits everybody.
What Ape is to polite to say directly is keep the instructions because FT will fuck things up again.

Honestly, if I was taking in the kind of bucks he earns from the Pit I would put a bit more effort in TBH.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

deLurch wrote:
DW Adams wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:45 am
The next Bingo square goes to.........Garrison Keillor. Collect your prize at the door.

We might as well start a betting pool website at this rate.
Keillor stated that his hand accidentally slid about 6 inches up the inside of a woman's shirt when he tried to pat her on the back. First time ever he said something that could actually raise a chuckle and he gets fired. :bjarte:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Muslim population in some EU countries could double, says report......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... han-double

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

CommanderTuvok wrote: Muslim population in some EU countries could double, says report......

Erm, actually, I meant TREBLE, not double.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Talking of paintings, my avatar comes from the cheeky drunken cherub in the corner of Poussin's A Dance to the Music of Time:
dance-to-the-music-of-time-1634.jpg
(148.44 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
"It's allegorical, everything is allegorical, and you have to point it all out" as La Snarkesian nearly said.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Why do they insist on proving 1488sers right about ‘diversity’ being a code word for anti-white?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

jet_lagg wrote: I'm not going to get dramatic over anyone's art. This includes "art" like dropping shit out of your vagina onto a canvas. I am perfectly happy calling out work that is pretentious wank though. If someone thinks abstract expressionism is better than romanticism, it's because their opinion is wrong. Objectively wrong. The most I'll concede to them is that they subjectively prefer objective wank, whereas most people don't.
Objectively wrong? How are you measuring that?

Keating

Post by Keating »

Guest_d2e60302 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:48 am
Feminists joked up a storm when Pence revealed he wouldn't meet with women unless his wife was present. I think he's going to have the last laugh.
Not necessarily. What will happen is more open office floor plans, even for managers. More "can't have any meetings with a door closed", much fewer let's go to lunch, happy hour, dinner, and talk business.

So work, which many of us spend most of our day at, will become that much less friendly and enjoyable to the worker, both men and women, and yet, like gun crimes, it will probably have no effect on the various rule breakers or people in power.

PZ Myers will still flee his lab rather than be present when there is only a female present, and he will be right to do so, even though it makes it worse for the student who then lacks the presence of a professor and worse for PZ who enjoys his job that much less.

There will be yet more mandatory sexual harassment training and it will be a boon for HR departments and the sexual harassment training industrial complex, a group of B Arkers if ever there was one. But it will nicely justify the $300K salary of the VP of HR.
If you haven’t seen it, Peterson and Paglia’s discussion gets on this. I think Paglia points out that this is really the first time in history that men and women have worked together in such numbers and we really don’t have any biological or social history to help us get it to work. Peterson’s line about men not knowing how to deal with crazy women was in this context. If a man is difficult to work with it can eventually escalate to violence, if a woman is difficult that’s off the table, so it’s hard to know how to deal with them.

I love listening to Paglia

Keating

Post by Keating »

MarcusAu wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: I'm not going to get dramatic over anyone's art. This includes "art" like dropping shit out of your vagina onto a canvas. I am perfectly happy calling out work that is pretentious wank though. If someone thinks abstract expressionism is better than romanticism, it's because their opinion is wrong. Objectively wrong. The most I'll concede to them is that they subjectively prefer objective wank, whereas most people don't.
Objectively wrong? How are you measuring that?
Plato was right

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I always found Garrison Keillor to be amusing enough.

Though admittedly I have not had the same degree of exposure to him as some members of his audience.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote: I always found Garrison Keillor to be amusing enough.

Though admittedly I have not had the same degree of exposure to him as some members of his audience.
:) In other news from the same "front" ...

:rimshot:

"Our tribe is less dickish than yours ..." Though it might be moot about the distribution ...

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Just saw the trailer for Infinity War. It looks good but did they change the model for Thanos? He looks like purple Joss Whedon.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:14 pm
jet_lagg wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Jackson Pollock’s drip paintings, always have been, and always will be, incomprehensible garbage
snip

https://images.metmuseum.org/CRDImages/ ... 259920.jpg

https://d32dm0rphc51dk.cloudfront.net/Y ... larger.jpg

I'm comfortable saying the 19th century had it right.
I loved making pictures like these at the fair when I was a kid. The cardboard went on a spinning wheel and you squirted paint at it through the grill. Good times.

But were they art?

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Sulman wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:05 pm

I'm up for this on the assumption that he'd be shot not long into revolution, as do most conspirators and instigators.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Myers just needs to add a few guillotine pictures, to complete the cringe.

The fucking cunt.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

katamari Damassi wrote: Just saw the trailer for Infinity War. It looks good but did they change the model for Thanos? He looks like purple Joss Whedon.
Brolin-Thanos appeared in the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie although he looks different without his helmet.

The comparison I'm seeing in other sites is "purple Rick Harrison."

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

screwtape wrote: Talking of paintings, my avatar comes from the cheeky drunken cherub in the corner of Poussin's A Dance to the Music of Time:

dance-to-the-music-of-time-1634.jpg

"It's allegorical, everything is allegorical, and you have to point it all out" as La Snarkesian nearly said.
Looks like picture's that's where she got the idea for her earrings.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Keating wrote:
Guest_d2e60302 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:48 am
Feminists joked up a storm when Pence revealed he wouldn't meet with women unless his wife was present. I think he's going to have the last laugh.
Not necessarily. What will happen is more open office floor plans, even for managers. More "can't have any meetings with a door closed", much fewer let's go to lunch, happy hour, dinner, and talk business.

So work, which many of us spend most of our day at, will become that much less friendly and enjoyable to the worker, both men and women, and yet, like gun crimes, it will probably have no effect on the various rule breakers or people in power.

PZ Myers will still flee his lab rather than be present when there is only a female present, and he will be right to do so, even though it makes it worse for the student who then lacks the presence of a professor and worse for PZ who enjoys his job that much less.

There will be yet more mandatory sexual harassment training and it will be a boon for HR departments and the sexual harassment training industrial complex, a group of B Arkers if ever there was one. But it will nicely justify the $300K salary of the VP of HR.
If you haven’t seen it, Peterson and Paglia’s discussion gets on this. I think Paglia points out that this is really the first time in history that men and women have worked together in such numbers and we really don’t have any biological or social history to help us get it to work. Peterson’s line about men not knowing how to deal with crazy women was in this context. If a man is difficult to work with it can eventually escalate to violence, if a woman is difficult that’s off the table, so it’s hard to know how to deal with them.

https://www youtube.com/watch?v=v-hIVnmUdXM

I love listening to Paglia

It is clear to me how to deal with a crazy women in the West. While it was quite acceptable In the culture I grew up in, for a man to beat woman in public (no I did not grow up in Scotland or Ireland), it is quite clear that In my adopted homeland of Canukistan, I need a strong woman to do this for me.

Really?

Post by Really? »

DrokkIt wrote:
Sulman wrote:

I'm up for this on the assumption that he'd be shot not long into revolution, as do most conspirators and instigators.
PZ seems always to forget that he is an accused rapist and obviously banged at least one of his students? This is all by his own testimony.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Really? wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:
Sulman wrote:

[.img]https://i.imgur.com/ujC04kW.png[/img]

PZ seems always to forget that he is an accused rapist and obviously banged at least one of his students? This is all by his own testimony.
That's horse shit - the most he ever admitted to, as far as I recollect, was that some woman threatened him with accusing him of that. Putting your thumb on the scales is just shooting yourself in the feet.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

In other news on the burgeoning revelations - of a sort - of sexual malfeasance from Sodom & Gomorrah West (AKA, Hollywood):

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Now I want an "upvote" feature for posts...

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Really?

Post by Really? »

Really?

Post by Really? »

New board being tetchy.

I find it it interesting that PZ wants to attribute every negative possibility to every white heterosexual cis male...aside from his race mixing son and grandson. Has PZ come out about his far left namesake as inspiration for leftist socialist groups or the boy's position as a left wing female Midwest pawn?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Really? wrote: PZ seems always to forget that he is an accused rapist and obviously banged at least one of his students? This is all by his own testimony.
I seriously doubt Peez has banged anything but The Trophy Wife and some sushi. Now, jacking off to his students as mermaids is another thing.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Really? wrote: PZ seems always to forget that he is an accused rapist and obviously banged at least one of his students? This is all by his own testimony.
I seriously doubt Peez has banged anything but The Trophy Wife and some sushi. Now, jacking off to his students as mermaids is another thing.
That is not how 'Guilty until Proven Innocent' works.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

DrokkIt wrote:
Sulman wrote:

World to Myers, it's called taxes. The rates are set by politicians who are elected by something called the people. Yes, rates too low for the wealthy, but that is something settled at the election booth.
If you look at the associated thread at Pharyngula you will see a lunatic called EnlightenedLiberal who says all private property is the result of violence. That is pure Pol Poterism, Maoism, Stalinism, the worst the MonsterLeft has to offer which is as bad as anything the MonsterRight has to offer. And not one peep of protest from the idiots at Pharyngula. The difference between the MonsterLeft and the MonsterRight?, when they have you hanging from a rope, nothing, cause both of them have you hanging from a rope.

They have no problem with a PolPot, but big problems with a guy waving a Kekistan flag or someone saying "I'm white and I'm OK."

Fuck them. Fuck them all.

And I nominate that soccer bitch as new official Pit chick.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:53 pm
KiwiInOz wrote:

But were they art?
My mum thought so.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

But were they art?
My mum thought so.
Apparently this chimp's last name is Pollock.
https://media.treehugger.com/assets/ima ... -chimp.jpg

The thing about that chimp that makes him smarter than a lot of humans is, he wouldn't pay one fucking banana for a canvas with paint dribbled all over it. He'd save his bananas for a canvas that hadn't been damaged by dribbled paint and get a clean one. One you could actually do art on. And go look at Pollock paint generators. They are all over the place, cause paint dribbling is easy. I would love to see people picking out Pollock 'art' from Pollock generator 'art'. Kind of a Turing test for art.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

But were they art?
My mum thought so.

The thing about that chimp that makes him smarter than a lot of humans is, he wouldn't pay one fucking banana for a canvas with paint dribbled all over it. He'd save his bananas for a canvas that hadn't been damaged by dribbled paint and get a clean one. One you could actually do art on. And go look at Pollock paint generators. They are all over the place, cause paint dribbling is easy. I would love to see people picking out Pollock 'art' from Pollock generator 'art'. Kind of a Turing test for art.
I guess that you could reasonably be confused if someone said this is Pollock's.

Slipterid

Post by Slipterid »

The thing that puzzles me about this whole pronoun warfare thing is that nobody seems to have mentioned one simple fact. Pronouns are basically a quick and simple way to refer to people or items. They are a form of shorthand communication, and save the need to remember a ton of names or make a clumsy sentence. If you are going to personalise it, you use the name of the person or thing, surely. If you know them well enough to know their "preferred pronoun" you know them well enough to know their name, which won't sound any clumsier than "zit" and "xitters" or whatever. If we have to remember 76 different (and largely unpronounceable) pronouns, plus which individual prefers which, we are missing the point of simplifying communication.

I might have missed someone mentioning it, as I am not fully caught up with the Internet yet. I have had a crazy year with special people and pets dying around me. The cull so far is one husband, one mother, and 5 cats -- and there is still December to go. I wish I could hibernate.

Props to the Fascist Tit on making such a change to the site and so painless to most of us. Glad I still have my edit button.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Fair enough - but I'm not going to be buying anything from a monkey. Whatever I get from an artist will have to be certified as genuine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_Shit

https://becksearlescott.files.wordpress ... _19612.jpg

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote: Muslim population in some EU countries could double, says report......

Erm, actually, I meant TREBLE, not double.
Catalans want independence from Spain. French and Flemish speakers in Belgium have friction. Czechoslovakia split into two. Even Scotland wanted out of the United Kingdom.

Muslims are the only people who are integrating. 30 million Muslims in Europe and not one call for their own country.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

KiwiInOz wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote: My mum thought so.

I guess that you could reasonably be confused if someone said this is Pollock's.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Wow, I just double posted someone elses post. I fell like MC on steroids.

Seriously, the site no longer gives a warning of too many embedded quotes. It just puts out the quotes and cuts my words out.
Which might be an improvement, but still.

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

There's this netflix show that takes place in the 80s about the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling. It's very well done, and I think you'll enjoy it.

The many reviews for it when it came out couch it in social justice and feminist language how it places and mocks all sorts of tropes. Are we objectifying the women, are they empowered, or victims or whatever? How racist is the show, or is the show pointing out the racism? Anyway, the reviews are heavy handed, but the show is not. Those messages, that comedy is there, but it's not the black and white social justice fest the writeups would have you believe.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I see Watson has eight from eight Skepchick homepage stories again. All e-begging cross posts with Patreon.

Of the 12 listed contributors (including Amy) one has an August post, another an October one (following a single August one). The rest last posted pre August 2017. Many (at least 4) last posted in 2016.

Looks like the slave labour market is drying up faster than RW's SJ creds.

Skepchick, rest in pain.

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

There's nothing wrong with the internet that a huge amount of censorship couldn't fix says @noamcohen all up and down his timeline.

The story at the new yorker is interesting for how the single joke that noam cohen discusses is so incredibly mild and yet he'd have us believe reason enough to censor usenet back in the 80s making the net safe in the 2017s and saving our democracy.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Slipterid wrote: The thing that puzzles me about this whole pronoun warfare thing is that nobody seems to have mentioned one simple fact. Pronouns are basically a quick and simple way to refer to people or items. They are a form of shorthand communication, and save the need to remember a ton of names or make a clumsy sentence. If you are going to personalise it, you use the name of the person or thing, surely. If you know them well enough to know their "preferred pronoun" you know them well enough to know their name, which won't sound any clumsier than "zit" and "xitters" or whatever. If we have to remember 76 different (and largely unpronounceable) pronouns, plus which individual prefers which, we are missing the point of simplifying communication.

I might have missed someone mentioning it, as I am not fully caught up with the Internet yet. I have had a crazy year with special people and pets dying around me. The cull so far is one husband, one mother, and 5 cats -- and there is still December to go. I wish I could hibernate.

Props to the Fascist Tit on making such a change to the site and so painless to most of us. Glad I still have my edit button.
Exactly right. I've kind of alluded to the same idea, though maybe not as succinctly ... But, as a point of reference or as a review and in case you missed them ..., a couple of my previous comments:
Steersman wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:51 pm
Guest_d2e60302 wrote: <snip>

If she is appearing in debate with Blaire and intentionally "misgendering" her, then she's being an asshole.

People do argue whether they should be compelled to use someone's preferred pronouns, but regardless, most people will still refer to trannies with their preferred gender, if only to be polite. Candace needs to learn how to be polite.
This idea that there should be different pronouns for different "genders" seems like incoherent twaddle at best, and more like rank insanity. Even Facebook allows some 56 genders that one can "identify" as, but if 56 then why not 56 trillion? Seems clear that pronouns should really only refer to one's sex - nominally at least - of which there are - count 'em - two. And, absent major advances in gene replacement therapy or ability to transplant testes or ovaries, it is simply not possible to change from male to female, or from female to male, although one can, of course, change to the "neither" class.

It is maybe splitting hairs or drawing lines in the sand unnecessarily, but that's what they said about the "Czechoslovakian problem", and look how that turned out ... ;-) Sometimes necessary to read the fucken Riot Act - ounce of prevention and all that.
And:
Steersman wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:50 am
MarcusAu wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:45 am
Steersman wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:03 am
Bit of a "meta" comment about the new features which generally look pretty classy, although I'm a bit disappointed there isn't yet a button for the spinning dancer GIF ... But, more specifically, the ability to indicate one's "gender" in our User Profiles. Given that the term is largely incoherent twaddle, I'd suggest deprecating the use of the term, and use the more rational and traditional term, "sex". One might suggest these (limited) possibilities or variations thereof:
  • female (ladies first);
  • male;
  • none; and, the ever redoubtable,
  • No thanks (we're British)
To which one might add "intersex", and the possible inclusion of variations that utilize the adjective "nominally".
Which forces the question (at least for you Steers)...

Which gender pronoun do you use if an individual identifies themselves as intersex?
That is maybe a fair question or at least a good one. Had been thinking about it in the context of the Laurier/Shepherd kerfuffle, and ran across this on Wikipedia which had been discussed in some detail here (won't bother formatting as it's late, and I doubt there's a table tag ...):
Nominative (subject) Oblique (object) Possessive determiner Possessive pronoun Reflexive
Traditional pronouns
He He is laughing I called him His eyes gleam That is his He likes himself
She She is laughing I called her Her eyes gleam That is hers She likes herself
It It is laughing I called it Its eyes gleam That is its It likes itself
One One is laughing I called one One's eyes gleam That is one's One likes oneself
They They are laughing I called them Their eyes gleam That is theirs They like themselves
Seems it's not unreasonable to consider "it" for individuals who "identify themselves as intersex".

But I kind of get the impression that many transpeople - like Zinnia & Bruce Jenner - are still male, at least nominally. Kind of think it necessary to read the Riot Act: "you" can have any pronoun you want - as long as it's either "he", "she", or "it". Seems clear they're designed to designate a sex, nominal or otherwise, or none. Are we going spin our wheels forever deciding which of a half-dozen or more fabricated pronouns & their variants should apply to a literal myriad of "genders"?

Rank insanity to be bastardizing and twisting the Queen's English out of shape to pander to the delusional - in many cases - or the anomalies.
As I say, rank insanity to be multiplying pronouns and genders, literally without end: if we provide a pronoun for the "femifluids" or the "genderqueers" (gawd save us all), then why wouldn't we have to do the same for the other 56 (trillion) "genders"?

But sorry to hear about your "difficult year" - taking one day at a time helps, but sometimes they gang up on a person all at once. :-)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

It seems to me the most practical thing would be to resort a a single genderless pronoun covering everyone - such as 'comrade' or 'citizen'.

If they like they can still stick to a binary by dividing the population into two categories:

1 - Those I would be interested in fucking.

and

2 - Those who I have no interest in fucking.

Other than that people should be free to call each other whatever they please. Or free to ask others to address them by whatever their desired term is. Though as mentioned earlier this does not scale well to large groups.

Freedom of Speech & Freedom of Association should cover most situations adequately.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Poor Blonde got Twitter canned.

What's possibly of note to present company is not her views, but rather how she deals with a stream of rape and death threats.

Instead of making them centre of her being and leveraging pity points, she instead uses them as logical ammunition to demonstrate left-liberal hypocracy in the house Jack built.

Nice contrast eh Becks?

Slipterid

Post by Slipterid »

Steersman wrote:
Slipterid wrote: The thing that puzzles me about this whole pronoun warfare thing is that nobody seems to have mentioned one simple fact. Pronouns are basically a quick and simple way to refer to people or items. They are a form of shorthand communication, and save the need to remember a ton of names or make a clumsy sentence. If you are going to personalise it, you use the name of the person or thing, surely. If you know them well enough to know their "preferred pronoun" you know them well enough to know their name, which won't sound any clumsier than "zit" and "xitters" or whatever. If we have to remember 76 different (and largely unpronounceable) pronouns, plus which individual prefers which, we are missing the point of simplifying communication.

Exactly right. I've kind of alluded to the same idea, though maybe not as succinctly ... But, as a point of reference or as a review and in case you missed them ..., a couple of my previous comments:
Steersman wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:51 pm
This idea that there should be different pronouns for different "genders" seems like incoherent twaddle at best, and more like rank insanity. Even Facebook allows some 56 genders that one can "identify" as, but if 56 then why not 56 trillion? Seems clear that pronouns should really only refer to one's sex - nominally at least - of which there are - count 'em - two. And, absent major advances in gene replacement therapy or ability to transplant testes or ovaries, it is simply not possible to change from male to female, or from female to male, although one can, of course, change to the "neither" class.

It is maybe splitting hairs or drawing lines in the sand unnecessarily, but that's what they said about the "Czechoslovakian problem", and look how that turned out ... ;-) Sometimes necessary to read the fucken Riot Act - ounce of prevention and all that.
And:
Steersman wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:50 am
Bit of a "meta" comment about the new features which generally look pretty classy, although I'm a bit disappointed there isn't yet a button for the spinning dancer GIF ... But, more specifically, the ability to indicate one's "gender" in our User Profiles. Given that the term is largely incoherent twaddle, I'd suggest deprecating the use of the term, and use the more rational and traditional term, "sex". One might suggest these (limited) possibilities or variations thereof:
  • female (ladies first);
  • male;
  • none; and, the ever redoubtable,
  • No thanks (we're British)
To which one might add "intersex", and the possible inclusion of variations that utilize the adjective "nominally".
As I say, rank insanity to be multiplying pronouns and genders, literally without end: if we provide a pronoun for the "femifluids" or the "genderqueers" (gawd save us all), then why wouldn't we have to do the same for the other 56 (trillion) "genders"?

But sorry to hear about your "difficult year" - taking one day at a time helps, but sometimes they gang up on a person all at once. :-)
Yes, "rank insanity" covers it neatly. If we have 56 trillion sets of pronouns, it completely negates the whole point of having pronouns at all and definitely turns the English language into "incoherent twaddle" (thanks for that one, I treasure it). The whole point of language is to communicate clearly; SJWs use it to obfuscate as much as possible, Like a cat trying to cover poop.

I agree about the new features, we need the spinning dancer and I would definitely use "No thanks, we're British", oh yeah.

Thanks for the kind words; as you say, one day at a time. Currently feels a bit like being tied to a toboggan that's on a massive collision course, but hey.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

The battle against gender pronouns seems rather myopic - it needs to be widened to a war on words in general.

If language is a virus from outer space, a veritable Martian red weed memeplex- then it can only be combated with a verbicide most virulent.

Confound the Noun! Let the Adverb remain Unheard! There must be no compunction to use the Conjunction!

A war of all forms of communication that can be used in a representational way - will avoid the usage and generation of ideas that some may find offensive; and leave us all in that happy state of blessed ignorance.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:22 pm
http://i.imgur.com/eQ7zdRz.jpg
SHAPE = Supreme Headquarters of the Allied Powers, Europe