In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
VickyCaramel

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by VickyCaramel »

MarcusAu wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:57 am
D) "Tuppence more and up goes the donkey!"
Sometimes dyslexia is hilarious. I read that completely wrong.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Guest_d2e60302 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:03 am
A very good article on the rise of the SocJus and the "Cold Civil War".
It was good but apparently the author thinks the best way to fight obscurant heavy academic jargon is with obscurant heavy academic jargon.
I did giggle when he used the word rebarbative in a sentence intended to criticize "dense" studies of racism.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

VickyCaramel wrote: very small population with one communist troll who thinks the Argentines have a right to the Maldives.
Shome mishtake shurely?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

I refuse to add "Malvinas" to my spell checker.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

The bandwagon jumper jumps.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

On the subject of death - I recall Odin's words:

"Cattle die,
kinsmen die
you yourself die;
I know one thing
which never dies:
the judgment of a dead man's life."

So even an atheist may have some thought for their reputation after they are gone.

Of course when depression or mental illness is a factor - all bets are off - as the person is not acting in a rational manner.

PS. No responses from determinists please (unless you feel you have no other choice).

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

feathers wrote: I shortly thought the FT had gotten rid of the slightly annoying 'Type your reply here' box that keeps taking up the bottom of your precious screen hardware, but it's back. You can collapse it by clicking to the right of the 'cross' and then on the collapse button on its left, but that setting doesn't stick.

Or do people like floating comment boxes?
I thought that was the 'have this miscreant drawn and quartered' button.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

deLurch wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:59 pm

The article in question.

https://thewalrus.ca/the-professor-of-piffle/

:popcorn:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:
You could do a pole ....
I think Phil would agree.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

VickyCaramel wrote: I refuse to add "Malvinas" to my spell checker.
There can be only one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtTJWCaErvY

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Oh, but you'll gladly add it to your bloodstained empire, you colonizating colonizer you.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Brive1987 wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:44 pm

The 1982 war was a weird war, one that looks more like a 18th or 19th century power play more than a 20th century ideological conflict or even 21st century ethnic-based political violence.
And then, just as Port Stanley fell, more Cold War, 1960s and 1970s with the Israeli invasion of Leb. The world got darker with the refugee camp killings and the chasing of the bloodied marines out of their barracks and off that airport. Missouri class battleships aside.

Fun times.
Just to be a pedantic prick, the Missouri is an Iowa class battleship.

Fegg

Post by Fegg »

InfraRedBucket wrote: The article in question.

https://thewalrus.ca/the-professor-of-piffle/

:popcorn:
Ira Wells wrote:"In a conversation with Camille Paglia, he lamented that men can’t exert control over “crazy women” by physically beating them."

Either:
A) Wells knows that this is a dishonest account of what was said
or
B) Wells really thinks Peterson said this and has no idea of the truth.

I hope Peterson really pushes hard against this sort of nonsense.

B.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Oh, but you'll gladly add it to your bloodstained empire, you colonizating colonizer you.
Yeh, it's just a pity there were no natives in the Falklands to grind into the dust and exploit. But nothing's perfect.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:05 am
Obviously only Falklanders read this stuff and they have a very small population with one communist troll who thinks the Argentines have a right to the Maldives. The really interesting thing is they don't know who he is, but I suspect that if they ever find him he will be found out on the moors with a bullet in the back of the neck.
If they had hogs instead of sheep, he wouldn't be found at all.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

SM1957 wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
The Terra del Fuegian Indians had a right to the Malvinas, and a right to not settle the Malvinas the owned. They also had a right to the land of Argent... ah, never mind.
Yeh, it's just a pity there were no natives in the Falklands to grind into the dust and exploit. But nothing's perfect.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The new quoting protocol is a bit confusing
you wrote:Yeh, it's just a pity there were no natives in the Falklands to grind into the dust and exploit. But nothing's perfect.
me wrote:The Terra del Fuegian Indians had a right to the Malvinas, and a right to not settle the Malvinas the owned. They also had a right to the land of Argent... ah, never mind.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:12 am
The Falkland aboriginals m needed our guiding hand. They were so decadent they'd lost the power of flight and had to swim for fish. They didn't even have tea in which to dunk their admittedly delicious biscuits.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

The next Bingo square goes to.........Garrison Keillor. Collect your prize at the door.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

feathers wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 am
I shortly thought the FT had gotten rid of the slightly annoying 'Type your reply here' box that keeps taking up the bottom of your precious screen hardware, but it's back. You can collapse it by clicking to the right of the 'cross' and then on the collapse button on its left, but that setting doesn't stick.

Or do people like floating comment boxes?
I just got rid of it in Firefox (desktop) with a custom stylesheet. It seems to work alright, it shouldn't hurt anything. However, it'll un-float the reply box in every phpBB forum you encounter that uses the same CSS ID.

If you want to do this, you'll need to find your profile directory. In the URL bar, type:

about:support

From there, find:

Application Basics --> Profile Directory

Press the 'Open Directory' button. This should bring it up in your file manager.

In your profile directory, create a directory named 'chrome' (all lowercase) if it doesn't already exist.

Paste this into a text editor:

#qr_postform {position:relative !important}

Save it as 'userContent.css' in the newly created 'chrome' directory.

Close Firefox and restart.

From what I understand, Chrome has discontinued custom stylesheets. But you can still use custom rules with an extension called Stylish:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... leoegfcffe

This Stylish user guide will help you inject the rule listed above:

https://www.itsupportguides.com/knowled ... le-chrome/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

DW Adams wrote: The next Bingo square goes to.........Garrison Keillor. Collect your prize at the door.

For years, Every Sunday I was held against my will by my ex and forced to suffer aural rape by Garrison Keillor. I still get PTSD whenever someone mentions "clog dancing", "ice fishing", or "lutefisk."

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Franken is up to 4 accusers now. I think we're gonna lose him.

How long before women complain they're locked out of power because male bigwigs only conduct business in safe 'boys club' situations?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Trying to find the right combination....

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

SM1957 wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sorry, not sorry.
5c8f8bd2c045c8c3b7ed954b925c5ba3.png
(381.15 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Dashed good show...

...and on a related note, I'm slowly working my way though 'The Steel Bonnets'

John D

Post by John D »

Ape+lust wrote: Franken is up to 4 accusers now. I think we're gonna lose him.

How long before women complain they're locked out of power because male bigwigs only conduct business in safe 'boys club' situations?
The real problem is going to be caused by men being afraid. How many men feel safe hiring a woman now, especially one who you may have to work very closely with? This will make things worse for women statistically.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

John D wrote:

The real problem is going to be caused by men being afraid. How many men feel safe hiring a woman now, especially one who you may have to work very closely with? This will make things worse for women statistically.
Yup. And apart from men becoming skittish, I think it's going to become clear that commingling is bad business after the lawsuits start flying.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

DW Adams wrote: The next Bingo square goes to.........Garrison Keillor. Collect your prize at the door.

It's finally happened! Garrison Keillor made me laugh.

katamari Damassi

Ape+lust wrote:
John D wrote:

Yup. And apart from men becoming skittish, I think it's going to become clear that commingling is bad business after the lawsuits start flying.
Feminists joked up a storm when Pence revealed he wouldn't meet with women unless his wife was present. I think he's going to have the last laugh.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Holy shit. This Ira Wells cunt is an assistant professor in the drama department nitpicking Peterson's credentials in psychology?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Ape+lust wrote: #qr_postform {position:relative !important}
It be gonne! Thanks a thousand!

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

feathers wrote:
Ape+lust wrote: #qr_postform {position:relative !important}
It be gonne! Thanks a thousand!
Great! You probably should hang on to the instructions so you can undo it, because I think the Boss is trying to work out a fix that suits everybody.

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

Feminists joked up a storm when Pence revealed he wouldn't meet with women unless his wife was present. I think he's going to have the last laugh.
Not necessarily. What will happen is more open office floor plans, even for managers. More "can't have any meetings with a door closed", much fewer let's go to lunch, happy hour, dinner, and talk business.

So work, which many of us spend most of our day at, will become that much less friendly and enjoyable to the worker, both men and women, and yet, like gun crimes, it will probably have no effect on the various rule breakers or people in power.

PZ Myers will still flee his lab rather than be present when there is only a female present, and he will be right to do so, even though it makes it worse for the student who then lacks the presence of a professor and worse for PZ who enjoys his job that much less.

There will be yet more mandatory sexual harassment training and it will be a boon for HR departments and the sexual harassment training industrial complex, a group of B Arkers if ever there was one. But it will nicely justify the $300K salary of the VP of HR.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

SM1957 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:53 am
Donald J. Trump (yes, that one) is retweeting Jayna Fransen (yes, that one) tweets.
President Steersman. :P

Really?

Post by Really? »

Next in line is football commentator Cris Collinsworth, who said something bad 35 years ago, when he was in his early 20s.
A nice gentleman named Greg sent this in to Josh at With Leather, who accurately points out a rather striking resemblance between the young Collinsworth and Wooderson from Dazed and Confused, and all of us sports fans owe Greg and Josh a debt of gratitude for this one. Here, in all its glory, is a halftime segment on the fabulous single life of NFL players from an early 80s Monday Night Football telecast. Watch Cris Collinsworth gyrate on the dance floor to the funky sounds of The Pointer Sisters and detail to Terre Blair just how big of a twatty baller he is:

I'm not gonna deny it, I walk around with hundred dollar bills hanging out of my pocket...I like girls that aren't too bright because you can trick 'em a little bit...high school girls love me. Fourteen to eighteen, I'm a big star with them. As soon as they mature, after they turn 18 years old, they start to figure it out.
https://deadspin.com/5357994/cris-colli ... ely-stupid

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

This thing could be lethal for someone like Rebecca. Cold sober to getting arrested nude behind a dumpster inside 30 minutes.

https://youtu.be/rXfP7WOH1a8

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

It's the excuses that get me :lol:

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

deLurch wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:19 pm
This person appears to have more direct knowledge of W. Scott Smith. I believe he must be referencing the wife of Scott's first marriage.
Tammy Gates Agdeppa • 4 hours ago

Y’all don’t know much about Scott. He married my sister while we were still in college and joined the army after we graduated. He was a moody person, but his first deployment during Desert Storm messed him up. My sister tried to get help for him because he was suicidal. The army still sent him back for a second deployment. He came home angry and abusive. She ended up taking their son (now 28) and divorcing him. Scott called my nephew several times, recently, increasingly depressed, but gave no indication that he was considering doing this.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... 3637179013

This is why you should never serve dry turkey.
I noticed a comment in there having a go at the wonderful WMDKitty, regarding her claim that the cops ignored her DV complaints for 7 years! Yeah.

He also linked to a racist post on her blog from 2010 :burn:

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogsp ... ng-to.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20171129201 ... ng-to.html

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:58 am
A very good article on the rise of the SocJus and the "Cold Civil War".

Thoroughly decent. Especially the observation that masculinity is now just regarded as bad- something I have encountered many times now.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Brive1987 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:34 pm
My son actually tried to tell me that "Jihad" was no worse than naming your daughter "Grace".

I told him to fuck off.
Jihad to go there, didn't ya?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:46 pm
Much art that we now deem canonical—Jackson Pollock’s drip paintings, for instance—would have struck nineteenth-century art patrons as incomprehensible garbage.
Jackson Pollock’s drip paintings, always have been, and always will be, incomprehensible garbage
https://ka-perseus-images.s3.amazonaws. ... 079a7e.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY450_.jpg

https://images.metmuseum.org/CRDImages/ ... 259920.jpg

https://d32dm0rphc51dk.cloudfront.net/Y ... larger.jpg

I'm comfortable saying the 19th century had it right.

John D

Post by John D »

dogen wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
My son actually tried to tell me that "Jihad" was no worse than naming your daughter "Grace".

I told him to fuck off.

I worked with a man who migrated to the US from Lebanon whose name was Jihad. He was a Catholic. He said his name really meant that he was full of faith. He asked us to call him Jay for obvious reasons. He was a hard worker, honest, a family man. One of the more decent guys I have known.

Really?

Post by Really? »

From the American Humanist Association's facebook:

American Humanist Association
2 mins ·
This case is about granting religious institutions a license to hate.
And they include a TImes article about the wedding cake controversy.

I wrote AHA off a long time ago, but it's still depressing. Don't religious institutions have the same "license to hate" as much as anyone else? Cake baking is a separate issue.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Manson must have been glad to have shuffled off before something really damaging came out.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jet_lagg wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Much art that we now deem canonical—Jackson Pollock’s drip paintings, for instance—would have struck nineteenth-century art patrons as incomprehensible garbage.
Jackson Pollock’s drip paintings, always have been, and always will be, incomprehensible garbage
https://ka-perseus-images.s3.amazonaws. ... 079a7e.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY450_.jpg

https://images.metmuseum.org/CRDImages/ ... 259920.jpg

https://d32dm0rphc51dk.cloudfront.net/Y ... larger.jpg

Really?

REALLY???
the-man-at-the-tiller-1892.jpg
(263.52 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
The Man at the Tiller, Théo van Rysselberghe, 1892

John D

Post by John D »

The fuck.... I have watched the Grammys for years .. mostly to watch the performances. Now I am afraid they will just show me Negroids singing about how rich they are. Well fuck me! What... is this the BET awards? I will probably still record the show... but I am officially concerned. I really want a white only award show..... haha.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

John D wrote:
dogen wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

I told him to fuck off.

I worked with a man who migrated to the US from Lebanon whose name was Jihad. He was a Catholic. He said his name really meant that he was full of faith. He asked us to call him Jay for obvious reasons. He was a hard worker, honest, a family man. One of the more decent guys I have known.
Anyone who seeks community in the West who imposes, adopts or retains that name is an idiot. Possibly a lovely one.

http://i.imgur.com/eQ7zdRz.jpg

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

John D wrote:
dogen wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

I told him to fuck off.

You think he was honest when he told you jihad actually meant full of faith? You sure he was Catholic? His middle name wasn't Taqiyya was it?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Dear old Andy Wahol always seemed to be having a good time (well except for that one interaction with the feminist) - and the world would be a little less interesting if had not come along.

I'm happy for any artist that can make a living doing what they do - to do what they do happily.

And for any art or literature critic can do what they do too.

Just so long as I don't have to pay for it.

To paraphase Oscar Wilde - All art is (not quite) useless. It can help determine where the bounds of free speech are after all.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I'm not sure if the anger is about my choice in paintings or if the entire romantic era is now tarred by association with the N-C Hypothesis.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Really? wrote: From the American Humanist Association's facebook:

American Humanist Association
2 mins ·
This case is about granting religious institutions a license to hate.
And they include a TImes article about the wedding cake controversy.

I wrote AHA off a long time ago, but it's still depressing. Don't religious institutions have the same "license to hate" as much as anyone else? Cake baking is a separate issue.
Classy bunch of commenters on that article:
Jenelle Bahan Last store discrimated against me I superglue every door lock and later went back and poured concreat mix. Down thier toilet knowing it will harden befor anyone used it
Like· Reply · 16 mins
Jenelle Bahan They discrimate burn the place down simple
Like· Reply · 19 mins

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

jet_lagg wrote: I'm not sure if the anger is about my choice in paintings or if the entire romantic era is now tarred by association with the N-C Hypothesis.
If you are going to criticise Abstract Expressionism publicly - that is probably not your biggest concern:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201610 ... of-the-cia

I think Alex Jones has covered the story too - if anyone wants more in depth coverage.

katamari Damassi

The guy in the center appears to be an orthodox Jew, so there's your diversity.

katamari Damassi

MarcusAu wrote: Dear old Andy Wahol always seemed to be having a good time (well except for that one interaction with the feminist) - and the world would be a little less interesting if had not come along.

I'm happy for any artist that can make a living doing what they do - to do what they do happily.

And for any art or literature critic can do what they do too.

Just so long as I don't have to pay for it.

To paraphase Oscar Wilde - All art is (not quite) useless. It can help determine where the bounds of free speech are after all.
The only art that makes me angry is Rothko. I think he offed himself because he knew he was a fraud.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

John D wrote: I worked with a man who migrated to the US from Lebanon whose name was Jihad. He was a Catholic. He said his name really meant that he was full of faith. He asked us to call him Jay for obvious reasons. He was a hard worker, honest, a family man. One of the more decent guys I have known.
There are worse surnames:

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/rape/26/

John D

Post by John D »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:27 pm
John D wrote:
dogen wrote:

You think he was honest when he told you jihad actually meant full of faith? You sure he was Catholic? His middle name wasn't Taqiyya was it?
Yeah - he and I and one other coworker often talked about how the Muslims destroyed his homeland of Lebanon... haha. Seriously, the Lebanese Christians I know dislike Muslims more than I do.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jet_lagg wrote: Holy shit. This Ira Wells cunt is an assistant professor in the drama department nitpicking Peterson's credentials in psychology?
Peterson -- 120 peer-reviewed psych papers:
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jordan_Peterson2

Wells -- 0 peer-reviewed papers, 22 "essays", including two on Bob Dylan:
http://www.english.utoronto.ca/facultys ... wellsi.htm

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lsuoma wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
[.img]https://ka-perseus-images.s3.amazonaws. ... 079a7e.jpg[/img]

[.img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY450_.jpg[/img]

[.img]https://images.metmuseum.org/CRDImages/ ... 259920.jpg[/img]

[.img]https://d32dm0rphc51dk.cloudfront.net/Y ... larger.jpg[/img]

Really?

REALLY???

the-man-at-the-tiller-1892.jpg

The Man at the Tiller, Théo van Rysselberghe, 1892
:-) Got my vote, although some might consider me a bit biased ...

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

John D wrote:
The fuck.... I have watched the Grammys for years .. mostly to watch the performances. Now I am afraid they will just show me Negroids singing about how rich they are. Well fuck me! What... is this the BET awards? I will probably still record the show... but I am officially concerned. I really want a white only award show..... haha.
That's a one dimensional view of black music. It's not all about being rich, there's also songs about banging ho's and shooting each other