In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
ThreeFlangedJavis

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

jugheadnaut wrote:
The lower bound of the likely range for ECS given in the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report (AR5; refs 1, 2) was revised downwards to 1.5 °C, from 2 °C in its previous report3, mainly as an effect of considering observations over the warming hiatus—the period of slowdown of global average temperature increase since the early 2000s
It's nearly impossible to support the claim that climate change will be catastrophic at the lower end of tha climate sensitivity t range. In fact, it may even be net beneficial. And this is from 2011. I've been following climate sensitivity research since then,and most of the findings have been in the very lower part of that range, and there was one reputable study that pegged it at below the range at 1.35. I should add that I'm prepared to die by this sword as well. If the science demonstrates the climate sensitivity is in the upper part of the range, I'd readily change horses. But I doubt the same is true among many alarmists if the science converged on the low end of the sensitivity range.
As I understand it, the lower sensitivity estimates were produced only by one particular method of calculating sensitivity which uses current era data. It is an outlier compared to other methods which use paleoclimate records. Recent research has identified an erroneous assumption with that method, namely that different forcings are given equal weight. Taking that into account has produced results which explain observed cloud formation data and are in line with other methods of calculating sensitivity.

Really?

Post by Really? »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
deLurch wrote:@Brieve
They caught him recording the first day and gave him the boot from the conference.
Meanwhile, Meyers has arrived and immediately begun making light of sexual assaults at A/S conventions...

https://i.imgur.com/wQvG7nV.png
I'm not sure that the "exclusive" combined Skepticon audience could lift and move PZ's flabby fleshbag to his room. Maybe it would have been possible last year, but Fallon Fox is not on this year's list of attendees.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

They're streaming, but from an unlisted URL. It's a public event dedicated to VERY IMPORTANT ISSUESTM, but they're minimizing viewership because the wusses can't bear the possibility of ridicule. Unbelievable.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Has there been an audience up skirt yet?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brive1987 wrote:Has there been an audience up skirt yet?
I thought Greta was going to shoot everyone a non-consentual moon yesterday, the way she kept slipping and losing her balance in front of the easel. It made for tense viewing, especially when you've only got one eye that must be protected.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

19 minutes in on disasters and I don't think I've learned anything. It is kind of like this is mostly about herself.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

deLurch wrote:19 minutes in on disasters and I don't think I've learned anything. It is kind of like this is mostly about herself.
I skipped to the end so I could gauge how many people in the audience by the sound of the applause. Apparently, far more people than laughed at her jokes.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Got it. I finally learned something from her speech. To prevent all disasters, we must KILL ALL HUMANS. Problem solved.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

@Vicky
The current girl is streaming live. Can I ride in your time machine?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

screwtape wrote:In re climate change might be a good thing: surely it is incredibly short sighted for temperate latitudes to say 'we'll grow more crops and that'll be great'? Not only does it ignore what that change has done to equatorial regions, where there may be millions or billions of displaced persons looking for a new home, a food source and some water to dink, but it also ignores what will happen next - when temperate zones suffer the same fate. It's a bit like saying a sea-level rise of 30 feet is fantastic as those bastards between me and the sea will have to get out of the way of my sea view, all the while ignoring the fact it's your turn next. Well, as InfraRedBucket posted:

https://i.imgur.com/5YAb0hS.jpg
https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/p/1/005 ... 486744.jpg

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Time Punch 8:07pm EST.
Lauren says that this is their "last year in Springfield" and the next one will be in St. Louis. And that they might take a year of and they might not.

Perhaps no one showed up.

Donations only up to $14,301 out of $30k requested.
https://skepticon.org/donate/

Also, I think the current woman is supposed to be a comedian. I can tell because the listed website for her is "VeryFunnyLady.com."

Normally I call bullshit when people say that women can't be funny. But this woman is making one hell of a case for women not being funny.

Really?

Post by Really? »

deLurch wrote:@Vicky
How dare you assume xir is a girl?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

deLurch wrote:@Vicky
The disaster girl with the red dress and the gloves was 4-5 hours ago.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

@Vicky
They had two disaster girls. I somehow suspect the first disaster girl was better than the 2nd one. She had to be.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Two? And yet neither of these disaster experts could prevent Skepticon.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
The lower bound of the likely range for ECS given in the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report (AR5; refs 1, 2) was revised downwards to 1.5 °C, from 2 °C in its previous report3, mainly as an effect of considering observations over the warming hiatus—the period of slowdown of global average temperature increase since the early 2000s
It's nearly impossible to support the claim that climate change will be catastrophic at the lower end of tha climate sensitivity t range. In fact, it may even be net beneficial. And this is from 2011. I've been following climate sensitivity research since then,and most of the findings have been in the very lower part of that range, and there was one reputable study that pegged it at below the range at 1.35. I should add that I'm prepared to die by this sword as well. If the science demonstrates the climate sensitivity is in the upper part of the range, I'd readily change horses. But I doubt the same is true among many alarmists if the science converged on the low end of the sensitivity range.
As I understand it, the lower sensitivity estimates were produced only by one particular method of calculating sensitivity which uses current era data. It is an outlier compared to other methods which use paleoclimate records. Recent research has identified an erroneous assumption with that method, namely that different forcings are given equal weight. Taking that into account has produced results which explain observed cloud formation data and are in line with other methods of calculating sensitivity.

The IPCC climate sensitivity range was derived from climate modelling simulation runs with different parameterizations from their modeling group. It was statistically robust, so a single outlier wouldn't have much effect. Since 2011, there have been at least 19 studies that had the climate sensitivity range in the low end of the IPCC 5 range:
https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/ ... 022714.gif

This doesn't include a study from 2014 updated in 2016 from Judith Curry that puts the mean expected climate sensitivity at 1.74.

Another factor is that the models used by the IPCC may be systematically overestimating positive feedbacks. After IPCC 5, climatologist John Christie published a graph comparing 73 runs of the climate models used by IPCC5 backrun to begin in 1979, when reliable satellite records started to become available to see how well they predicted observed warning. Here's what he found:
http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/ ... 20S-MT.png

Although I'm not sure if he ever published it so I'm not giving it a large amount of weight.

I don't think the next IPCC report is expected to be released until 2021, but I'm interested in what happens. Given the problems the 1.5 deg C low-end sensitivity figure from IPCC 5 gave to the alarmist cause, I'd expect some fireworks in process during the current iteration.

John D

Post by John D »

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Well, I agree with one of the commenters. Well done on the eyebrows.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

He's making An Effort. That's a good start.

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

This was pretty good. Nicely on target. The punchline explains why.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:He's making An Effort. That's a good start.
Vicious misgendering there. But I agree he has done something to her hair.

Swing and a miss.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

It's kinda creepy the way PZ is compelled to post selfies of himself ever since he got his haircut.

There is an each way bet that Mary put out, much to his surprise and horror.

Don't worry Peez. That problem. It happens to everyone eventually.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Sad that the skepticon gravy train didn't stop at the RW station this year. She had so much to contribute from her 12 months of skeptical activism and outreach.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Oh and thanks Ape for your kind words. The doctor and I had a brief exchange until she found it too weird and puffed into smoke.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Old_ones wrote:The excesses of human population growth are the elephant in the climate room. Most of the problem stems from the huge number of people in the world causing huge demand for food, energy, water and so forth. If we could magically shrink the population to 500,000 million we wouldn't have any trouble getting enough energy (emission free even) and we would have plenty of farmland. Unfortunately people keep popping babies out like it's going out of style, and our excesses are having massive effects. World leaders make a show of "responding to climate change" but the scale of the problem (brought on by our momentous population) makes it almost intractable.

[.youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNDRzVY4-6M[/youtube]
The problem then becomes how to limit births, especially in areas where sustainability is already a problem. Birth rates seem to fall in rich, industrialized countries. In Europe or parts of South America, for example, birth rates are already low enough to be around or below replacement level (2 children per couple). In Africa or South-East Asia or in the Middle East they're much higher. The cause is likely due to a completely different social model: in Europe, for example, children are seen as an expense, birth control is easily available and people have governmental retirement plans. In most MENA countries children are an investment for the future, birth control is rare and expensive, and people rely on their families for support when they're old.

Introducing more birth control in growing countries might help, but if the societies in those countries don't change it might not be enough.

Also lowering birth rates brings forth other problems, like the fact that the percentage of the population in retirement age increases, which puts a strain on both governmental plans and/or families. Many politicians have sought out immigration of new workers to solve this problem, but immigration opens new cans of worms.

There's no easy fix. Well, there are some, like government-sponsored birth control and euthanasia, but they're both pretty draconian and go against established religious and social traditions, so they're more likely going to be implemented in secular authoritarian countries like China (China pushed pretty aggressive and authoritarian measures of birth control, I can see them getting elderly people to "volunteer" for a governmental plan to "no longer be a burden to their families").

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

HoneyWagon wrote: Well, I agree with one of the commenters. Well done on the eyebrows.
Fucken Hell!!! I innocently scrolled down ...

*spraaaapppppp*

And I just sprayed all over the screen. Fucken hell for once I was not quaffing a delicious beverage whilst perusing the 'Pit.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

PZ sez:
And finally, Mandisa Thomas spent an hour being fierce and strong, as she does.
Why is it the more accommodating to diversity pasty white liberal tards become, the more disgustingly and transparently sexist and racist they are?

Cawz wez all knowz them black niggresses are aw fierce and strawng.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Brive1987 wrote: "she mostly comes at night ....... mostly"
Ewwww

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

AndrewV69 wrote:
HoneyWagon wrote: Well, I agree with one of the commenters. Well done on the eyebrows.
Fucken Hell!!! I innocently scrolled down ...

*spraaaapppppp*

And I just sprayed all over the screen. Fucken hell for once I was not quaffing a delicious beverage whilst perusing the 'Pit.
So you saw a picture of Danielle and then sprayed all over the screen?
Whatever floats your boat.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori ... oplasm.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sunder wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:BTW, "swimming without a parachute"? What is it with SJWs and deliberately absurdist, hipster-ish messages?
Considering parachutes are quite dangerous things in water it would fit his depressive sad sack shtik better if he were swimming with one.
Ah, yes, I forget that Oggie is perpetually depressed and isn't looking for a therapist to deal with his issues (including what he's done) but expecting poncehugs on FTB. Totally not manipulative.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

John D wrote:
GUYS
Don't wanna be here with you two,
Reminding me why I stated banging dudes
Someone send Rucka a BPE.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

screwtape wrote:Jordan Peterson must be doing something right. He's got the U of T faculty association terrified he might start a website identifying postmodern courses and academics:
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/n ... e36924134/
The comments are pretty much universally on Peterson's side.

And a TA showing the TVO debate on enforced pronoun usage to a class has been hauled over the coals:
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/christi ... rson-video
Academia is long overdue for its own version of Gamergate. Journalists started howling like I'd never seen when deepfreezeit went up, cataloging their sins. I know it looks like fighting dirty to some people, call out culture, but what else to do? Compile a list so students interested in a career over post modernist indoctrination can know what professors and universities to avoid. Hit these people in their wallets.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Guest_d2e60302 wrote:Re Victorian times, The Times is telling us dowdy concealing clothing is coming back, or something

[.tweet]https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/929274400981114880[/tweet]
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/11 ... rJumbo.jpg

This woman is possessed! Just like in that documentary, The Exorcist.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:Sad that the skepticon gravy train didn't stop at the RW station this year. She had so much to contribute from her 12 months of skeptical activism and outreach.
https://callminer.com/wp-content/upload ... rds-12.png

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Gold from the "Skeptiprom"..... :lol:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Kirbmarc wrote:Introducing more birth control in growing countries might help, but if the societies in those countries don't change it might not be enough.
It almost certainly wouldn't because the impetus behind large families in third world nations is that you need healthy kids to help support the rest of the family especially if you're ever lucky enough to grow old and there's a good chance the kids you have won't make it to adulthood so you have to hedge your bets.

The ingredients for lowering birthrates are low child/infant mortality rates and a social safety net so old/sick people aren't dependent on their children alone. Birth control can't enter the picture until those two things are taken care of.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

jet_lagg wrote:
screwtape wrote:Jordan Peterson must be doing something right. He's got the U of T faculty association terrified he might start a website identifying postmodern courses and academics:

And a TA showing the TVO debate on enforced pronoun usage to a class has been hauled over the coals:
Academia is long overdue for its own version of Gamergate. Journalists started howling like I'd never seen when deepfreezeit went up, cataloging their sins. I know it looks like fighting dirty to some people, call out culture, but what else to do? Compile a list so students interested in a career over post modernist indoctrination can know what professors and universities to avoid. Hit these people in their wallets.
I'm to see various acquaintances of mine react to all this. This very morning a woman I know (ex of a good mate) went on a rant calling Peterson a "monster".

Now prizes for guessing she teaches at a university- supposedly "computer games" but in reality it's critical race and gender theory *as applied* to computer games. She is 100% un-able to make computer games and isn't even particularly good at playing them.
She is, however, a stereotypical entitled middle-class feminist and a part of me is glad this lot can see their shit is in the firing line.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Ape+Lust does it AGAIN!

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

jet_lagg wrote:

Preserving peoples' words is one thing, but I am very wary of Blockbot/Social Autopsy-style blacklists, as there is clear potential for abuse.

How long until someone ends up on such a list for "evolutionism"?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brive1987 wrote:It's kinda creepy the way PZ is compelled to post selfies of himself ever since he got his haircut.

There is an each way bet that Mary put out, much to his surprise and horror.

Don't worry Peez. That problem. It happens to everyone eventually.
:lol:

Could explain why they look like the last pic a guy takes before putting the noose around his neck... or racking his gun and stepping into the classroom.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brive1987 wrote:

Swing and a miss.
Every since his doc gave him the go-ahead in January to start transitioning, he quit smiling with his teeth. I guess pursed lips are more feminine to him.

If he ever starts doing the duck lips thing, Andrew will rupture a lung if we don't hide the pics :D

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Sunder wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Introducing more birth control in growing countries might help, but if the societies in those countries don't change it might not be enough.
It almost certainly wouldn't because the impetus behind large families in third world nations is that you need healthy kids to help support the rest of the family especially if you're ever lucky enough to grow old and there's a good chance the kids you have won't make it to adulthood so you have to hedge your bets.

The ingredients for lowering birthrates are low child/infant mortality rates and a social safety net so old/sick people aren't dependent on their children alone. Birth control can't enter the picture until those two things are taken care of.
The most important factor by far is increasing prosperity, which happily is occurring on its own. As of 2004,nearly every country with a GDP per capita over US$7500 had a below replacement level fertility rate, and the only ones significantly over 3 were Saudi Arabia and Oman. And a $7000 GDP per capita isn't even that high, around the level of Turkey, Iran, and Romania in 2004. This issue, which has always been infested with dubious assumptions, has pretty much burned itself out, with most current global population forecasts topping out at under 10 billion before equilibrating at a lower number.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

RC looks like he's finalizing a Bayesian calculation on whether this one has a vagina.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Ape+lust wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

Swing and a miss.
Every since his doc gave him the go-ahead in January to start transitioning, he quit smiling with his teeth. I guess pursed lips are more feminine to him.

If he ever starts doing the duck lips thing, Andrew will rupture a lung if we don't hide the pics :D
And probably ruin yet another laptop. This year the 'Pit has already killed one laptop. It could have very easily been two. You fuckers are bent on killing me too as well.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

rayshul wrote:Service Dog I'ma be real pissed if you don't write your memoirs ...

I've heard of this girlboss thing... it feels like a little cult. The one I've been to - like a women's group for business shit - had that feel to it as well. I work with a lot of professional ladies who do their job and I encounter a lot who are women who wanna be part of that kind of thing. I feel like it's sort of like picking on these people who maybe don't have the stuff to go further in their career.
The GirIboss Rally was yesterday. The venue was decorated to be Instagram-able, for attendee selfies.

Lots of neon signs & posters with slogans in edgy, pipe-laying typography.

https://i.imgur.com/1EOzUia.jpg

$700 VIPs had a party last night, sponsored by Cadillac, in a fancy Cadillac showroom, with drinks, dj, food & Cadillacs to sit-in. VIP morning was a group breakfast with girlboss Sophie, highly sponsored from the fancy juice to the fancy coffee to the fancy catering company.

The first arrivals of the $450 general admission crowd, seemed to be youngest and/or less-sophisticated wannabe girlbosses-- like a female comiccon where too-young girls dress like Sex & the City instead of pudgy guys dressed as superheroes. They stood in line on the first near-freezing day of fall, in too-tall stilettos & too-short knock-offs of Diana Von Furstenburg wrap dresses.

Sophie took the 90's Oprah-set lookin' stage & greeted the 600+ paying customers. Her look bordered on being a cartoon-- of a severe business ballbuster. A dyed, straightened sharply-cropped bob, TV-host make-up, a pointy grey suit with the armpits suggestively tailored to be 'crotch-less', melania-trump shoes. She began with a cringey recitation of all her achievements & accolades, "Forbes top 100" this "x-million dollars valuation" that, NYTimes best seller list, netflix tv show based on her life, a period of so many champagne toasts honoring her, that she didn't even know which event she was at...

...but she quickly shifted to the empty frustration of it all... such-as adopting a succession of 3 poodles with her boyfriend of 5 years. A certain type of critic would have a field day mocking her attempt to substitute dog-mom with a boyfriend-- for actual wife & mother role.
Eventually, she bought-herself a wedding ring, gave it to the boyfriend, & demanded 'surprise me'... prompting him to fleeeeee the scene. I don't know where this fits on the timelines of business cinderella/ bankruptcy & scandal/ autobiography/ instagram fame, etc.

But Act 3 is soul-searching with candles & crystals & medicine-women, and a messianic return. She made reference to her fame being based on the version of herself from 15 years earlier... which struck me as a swerve to the crowd attending as fans of that-person. Imagine wanting to have what that person has, paying for the secret to that success/ then being told 'fuck that, i don't give a shit about that anymore'. Like when your favorite scrappy rock band switches to disco or synths or broadway rock-opera.

Shifting from the personal to the grand designs of the movement she now envisions, she admitted to being a straight white woman by saluting the rise of women who don't 'love like me, pray like me, or look like me'... but that majestic phrase ended with another image, which made me gasp-- she said those who aren't on board with the progressive program are like "filth" which will be squeegeed off the nation, like a dirty windshield. Holy fucking hate rally! She gave a shout out to muslims. So did the 2nd speaker. And the 3rd one I listened to. Later there was a diversity panel with some woman in a chador headwrap. And an enormously fat women in sheer fabric & tattooes -- circus attraction chic.

https://i.imgur.com/vAOWA1H.jpg

One security guy is studing finance at NYU. He was stationed near the stage during the business talk & could barely contain himself at the whopper statistics being cited. One was about how women outperform men by 64%, in crowdfunding of business... which was interpreted as women being 64% more profitable in business. Funny how e-begging was conflated with producing profit.

As the sun went-down, a best-selling pro-infidelity author spoke about sex, repeating vintage Ms. Magazine ideas, like the missionary position being bad/ and woman riding horsey on-top being inherently preferable, with a Dr. Ruth Westheimer accent.

After the sex talk, was the get-drunk part. One sponsor was "Women and Whiskey", the blurb to-which was about educating women about whiskey so it wouldn't be just a guy thing to drink... reminiscent of Edward Bernays infamous stunt-- of getting women hooked on cigarettes by staging feminist leaders to smoke during a 1920's feminist march.

Another security guy noted the double-s in girlboSS looks very third reich, in the heavy metal band fonts on the posters. His eyes bugged when a young chinese girl said the most valuable thing she learned was to ignore people who said she's "delusional", because you have to be "delusional" to succeed. She gushed about the cosmic power of universe bringing us together, thru coincidences & such. The guard waited for her to stop talking, then pretended to have some urgent duty, to escape. She was nice... I worry for her future.

The crowd was motivated to leave the building by releasing their giftbags from a separate building, across the street.

As per Skepticon, and other feminist events, ALL the male restroom doors were covered-over with all "all genders bathroom" sign, while the Women's restrooms remained exclusively segregated with a "W". Presumably for Women Only. Surely not for "Whites Only", right? The male electricians, lighting riggers, video crew, security guards, janitors, fire marshals, carpenters, caterers, bartenders, & stagehands... were uncomfortable with the shitting arrangements. A polite black guy attempted to knock on the door of a 3-stall all-gender shitter-- before entering. The women inside didn't give him the courtesy of saying they were inside, nor did they knock before coming-in, of course.

When the event ended & the crowd cleared; a white dude striking the set-- tore the mixgender sign off a men's room door-- and whooped "Free At Last, Free At Last!!!" The black guys in the sound booth cheered. A white guy tore the pink laminated credential on a tiny chrome chain from his neck... & said "the chain is off!" An old rasta pulling electrical cables on the floor literally sang a spiritual as work resumed. Such a great moment.

I think the girlboss message is basically 'you are awesome & should be paid, just for being so cool.' You should be instagram famous & be paid to tell interviewers favorite brands of makeup, or to take selfies at fancy parties. Or you can work hard in a 'digital content provider arena with a peer2peer influencer base', etc. ...which will make you a glamorous soap-opera version of a boss/ not just a frumpy overworked stiff with a job. One portion of the crowd struggled to pay the $450, hoping to obtain hints to succeed. Another major portion attended on a whim, with daddy's money-- they're the sort who don't need to earn to pay the rent-- they create unprofitable fake glamorous business-- vanity clothing & cosmetic lines, or showy self-congratulatory save-the-whales non-profit causes. Both groups may be guilty of volunteering to be misled-- by subscribing to a Leader who Leads them to a seemingly-easy & glamorous path-- attempting to shortcut around non-glam hard work.

I saw a few real *hu$tlers*, who will go far. One young girl follows SophIe on instagram... reached out to girlboss on her own initiative, volunteered to work in exchange for free admission-- and ended-up holding a phone during the day-- logged-in to the girlboss social media accounts--- "liking" the posts of fans who use the girlboss hashtag, and writing replies, as-if she was actually Sophie-herself. That kid will go far. I raise an eyebrow at Sophie keeping distance from the General Admission crowd. Being available to 500 people in an all-day affair is far from impossible.

Ultimately, I am not irritated by the event. The only victims are those who are truly being mis-led, with no complicity on their own part. I don't think the movement is a threat to my opposing political beliefs. The event is a poe-- indistinguishable from if 4chan had devised a parody rally. As long as these clowns run feminism, I can sleep easy.

Google isn't even trying to evade the James Damore blowback-- they were a major sponsor of the event, with an entrepaneur start-up room.

The closest I come to being actually butthurt (except it being literally hard to shit in a stall with 30 nutty women peeking thru the door cracks)...

...let me start over...

the closet I come to being actually butthurt, is that the only reason I worked this event was the higher-paying feminist event across-town --had a discriminatory no males allowed policy, including staff. My bitch worked that other-event & she was offered 2 jobs by prestigious clients. One noticed her being 'so strong', lifting things. She aint that strong. But when no men are around, the 125 lb woman is king. It's not the one day of work which hurts-- it's being excluded from climbing the subsequent rungs. Even this complaint is merely hypothetical. My bitch getting the jobs trickles-down to me getting work, also. But that don't don't make it right.

John D

Post by John D »

Dog... seriously... WRITE A BOOK!

Every day you write 800 words.... and the next day you edit the 800 words. In a year you have a book.... Please write a book.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I see that Sargon is doing a live 'This Week in Stupid' event in London - Friday December 15th. £15 for you plebs.

https://conwayhall.org.uk/event/week-st ... gon-akkad/

I'm not likely to attend - unless some fellow 'Pitter is planning to go.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

I have to say, Skepticon needs help with their twitter.
This is not the first day of Skepticon, yet they still have not moved a giant plant or changed locations where they take pics of the speakers. Either would help out a lot
And get a better camera phone, geez.

Not even a 3/4 view of the face!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

That Girlbo$$ event sounds like a flashback to the conspicuous consumption of the 80s.

If the 20th century curse was to aspire to live like a rockstar. The 21st is to want to live to Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian or whoever is the current IT girl.

Maybe it was the picture - but it doesn't seem that different when Jackie O was the role model of choice for women (and some men - here's looking at you Danielle M).

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Do that again and I'll have to put you on ignore. An inguinal canal can only stand so much and I don't fancy a rupture. ;)

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

jugheadnaut wrote:
This issue, which has always been infested with dubious assumptions, has pretty much burned itself out, with most current global population forecasts topping out at under 10 billion before equilibrating at a lower number.
The worlds oceans are declining in productivity and are overfished, fish farms are not the solution and are actually contributing to the problem. In order to bring the billions of people out of poverty and to secure enough standard of living that they don't feel the need to have large families the amount of energy consumption will increase massively, hence increasing AGW. The availability of arable land and fresh water resources is already at crisis proportions in areas where poverty is a problem.
Add another 2 or 3 billion people, mainly to regions already at or past carrying capacity? They will reach equilibrium, but likely through warfare or starvation even if climate change doesn't decrease the ability of the planet to sustain billions of people.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

John D wrote:Dog... seriously... WRITE A BOOK!

Every day you write 800 words.... and the next day you edit the 800 words. In a year you have a book.... Please write a book.
Its really EZ.

Just copy all of your posts from here.

Call it "The Happy Sylmepitter"

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

gurugeorge wrote:Someone just gave a righteous and well-deserved reaming to Bill Nye on a Reddit AMA.

http://redstatewatcher.com/article.asp?id=104410
Not only that, he exposed himself as a complete ignoramus in a subject area he claims to care the most about.

I’m Bill Nye and I’m on a quest to end anti-scientific thinking. AMA

One question was "Hi Bill. If the Sun is hot, why is space cold?", which 10th grade science students could easily answer. He obviously didn't know and tried to make a joke.
Bill Nye wrote:There is a fantastic amount of space in space. I mean it's not all that cold, is it? It's 3 Kelvins. Toasty.
Complete nonsense...and"Kelvins"?. He doesn't even know the basic terminology. I'll remember the next time I hear him talk about global warming that he doesn't even have the most preliminary understanding of the fundamentals of thermal physics.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

free thoughtpolice wrote:jugheadnaut wrote:
This issue, which has always been infested with dubious assumptions, has pretty much burned itself out, with most current global population forecasts topping out at under 10 billion before equilibrating at a lower number.
The worlds oceans are declining in productivity and are overfished, fish farms are not the solution and are actually contributing to the problem. In order to bring the billions of people out of poverty and to secure enough standard of living that they don't feel the need to have large families the amount of energy consumption will increase massively, hence increasing AGW. The availability of arable land and fresh water resources is already at crisis proportions in areas where poverty is a problem.
Add another 2 or 3 billion people, mainly to regions already at or past carrying capacity? They will reach equilibrium, but likely through warfare or starvation even if climate change doesn't decrease the ability of the planet to sustain billions of people.
The last 1-2 billion population increase was accompanied by a huge reduction in both extreme poverty and hunger:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ctions.png

but somehow the next will suddenly hit a tipping point that will reverse this? Evidence definitely required. The history of the "population bomb" is so replete with laughably wrong predictions, I have trouble taking it seriously. It was the great lefty moral panic before global warming, and I don't see it making a comeback.

Really?

Post by Really? »

While Danielle Muscato was tripping the light transtastic, Blaire White was being assaulted on camera.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

Really? wrote:While Danielle Muscato was tripping the light transtastic, Blaire White was being assaulted on camera.

Where is the Trans area of Hollywood ???

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

What does GIRLBOSS stand for,Gluttonous Irresponsible Rotund Lady Bearing Obvious Sugar Sensitivity?

Also, seconded on the call for Servicedog memoirs to be written in full.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

What does GIRLBOSS stand for,Gluttonous Irresponsible Rotund Lady Bearing Obvious Sugar Sensitivity?

Also, seconded on the call for Servicedog memoirs to be written in full.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jugheadnaut wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:Someone just gave a righteous and well-deserved reaming to Bill Nye on a Reddit AMA.

http://redstatewatcher.com/article.asp?id=104410
Not only that, he exposed himself as a complete ignoramus in a subject area he claims to care the most about.

I’m Bill Nye and I’m on a quest to end anti-scientific thinking. AMA

One question was "Hi Bill. If the Sun is hot, why is space cold?", which 10th grade science students could easily answer. He obviously didn't know and tried to make a joke.
Bill Nye wrote:There is a fantastic amount of space in space. I mean it's not all that cold, is it? It's 3 Kelvins. Toasty.
Complete nonsense...and"Kelvins"?. He doesn't even know the basic terminology. I'll remember the next time I hear him talk about global warming that he doesn't even have the most preliminary understanding of the fundamentals of thermal physics.
Jebus. That's worse than I expected. Bill Nye is an entertainer, but he shouldn't know less about physics than a linguist like me. Objects in pace, when irradiated by the rays of the sun, are actually pretty hot even quite far away from the Sun (otherwise, incidentally, life would be impossible, since Earth is IN SPACE, too). The reason why dark, non-irradiated side of objects in space are cold is that there is no medium to absorb and radiate heat in space. Heat is a form of radiation which is absorbed and transmitted by moving particles. No particles, no absorption or transmission of heat from them, and heat propagates only as part of the spectrum of electromagnetic waves.

As you say this is Physics 101 (I'm pretty sure that what I wrote isn't 100% accurate either).