In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Sunder

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Sunder »

MarcusAu wrote:
screwtape wrote:
I always had difficulty with the multi-party marriages that Heinlein used to fantasise about in his later books. I'd happily suspend my disbelief when it came to dragons, aliens, time travel and immortality, but when the immortal man went back in time to deflower his own daughter and enjoyed being surrounded by a pregnant harem I realised Heinlein was simply working out his own kinks in his books. If he were still around I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the headlines accused of something or other.
It was his Mother.

(Not sure which is more embarassing - Heinlein's plot or your Freudian slip!).
Wouldn't that be a reverse Freudian slip?

KenD

Post by KenD »

VickyCaramel wrote:They are delusional, we do what works, not what is fair. We are not Dunnocks and human males are more likely to compete for females with violence. This is the way we are wired.
I'll have you know that I identify as a dunnock. So if I want to peck a rival's semen from my bird's cloaca then that's perfectly wholesome and natural, thank you very much.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Peez is mad at the victims of a good old medieval inquisition and browbeating. Two of Mythicist Milwaukee's guys were on Thomas Smith's SIO podcast and they got a show-length dressing-down from Smith and his friend Eli Bosnick.

https://imgur.com/hDIUvMy.png

Eli Bosnick is the next Kilstein-in-waiting, another self-styled "comic" whose idea of comedy is lobbing social justice truisms that give SJWs the thrill of recognition.

"I'm a cis white male, so I guess that means you must listen to me."

"Haha, yes! Very good, so TRUE." *clap* *clap* *clap*

If you haven't heard, you need to hear this 48 seconds of Bosnick on the verge of tears, suddenly understanding the enormity of Jesus's sacrifice and realizing Satan must never prevail... okay no, it's 48 seconds of Bosnick being a showboating SJW dick. It's epic.

mike150160

Post by mike150160 »

Kirbmarc wrote:A rule of thumb for me has been that if I find out that a woman I'm interested in or I'm dating has more psychological issues than I do it's time to back away as fast and as smoothly as I can. It's worked out well for me so far.

"Don't eat at anyplace called 'Mom's'
Don't play cards with anyone called Doc
And don't go to bed with anyone with more problems than you have"

A Father's Advice

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Aaaaand Peez just retweeted this "comic" starring his new butt-buddy, Eli Bosnick. Of course he did.

Apparently had another change of heart about violence since yesterday.

https://imgur.com/F1sv0xg.jpg

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

John D wrote: I think polygamy was popular and common in centuries past because it made good sense.

1) Many societies produced great differences in wealth and power. Some men were extremely wealthy compared to other men. Many men could barely feed themselves, much less take care of a family.

2) Many women had trouble finding a successful man to head the family. They didn't have a large pile of strong and powerful men to protect them and provide wealth to them.

With these two conditions it makes sense that some men would have multiple wives. The wealthy men could care for a huge family. Low status men were just shit-outa-luck. Women didn't marry for what we think of as "love". They married to have a successfully family and protection. Hell... having kids with a powerful man meant your kids might be lucky enough to have high status.

This stuff is not all that hard to figure out.
Polygamy? I though all marriages were equal nowadays.

Why are people pushing for gay marriages against polygamy? Are some marriages more equal than others?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

John D wrote:
Sunder wrote:Speaking of polygamy and WEIT, there was a mini-discussion over there where someone brought up the old line that if a man (in an Islamic society) can have multiple wives, things won't be equal until women can have multiple husbands. It's then pointed out that it can't really ever be equal, because even though you can fairly make the case that marriage isn't just about reproduction, that's pretty much the major impetus behind polygamist marriage. And the fact that women don't really get any kind of special reproductive deal out of it is enough to explain why polygyny is so much more common than polyandry.
I think polygamy was popular and common in centuries past because it made good sense.

1) Many societies produced great differences in wealth and power. Some men were extremely wealthy compared to other men. Many men could barely feed themselves, much less take care of a family.

2) Many women had trouble finding a successful man to head the family. They didn't have a large pile of strong and powerful men to protect them and provide wealth to them.

With these two conditions it makes sense that some men would have multiple wives. The wealthy men could care for a huge family. Low status men were just shit-outa-luck. Women didn't marry for what we think of as "love". They married to have a successfully family and protection. Hell... having kids with a powerful man meant your kids might be lucky enough to have high status.

This stuff is not all that hard to figure out.
Very good points. I'd add that wealthy men had a keen interest to have many children, especially many boys, in societies where rich landowners or rich merchants needed slave overseers and in general middle-management. Male successors were a good way to keep all the levels of the family business (except slave work) within the family, and the richer you were, the larger the business was, so a large family made sense. Girls were less "valuable", but they could be traded in marriage to forge business alliances.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

MarcusAu wrote:
screwtape wrote:
I always had difficulty with the multi-party marriages that Heinlein used to fantasise about in his later books. I'd happily suspend my disbelief when it came to dragons, aliens, time travel and immortality, but when the immortal man went back in time to deflower his own daughter and enjoyed being surrounded by a pregnant harem I realised Heinlein was simply working out his own kinks in his books. If he were still around I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the headlines accused of something or other.
It was his Mother.

(Not sure which is more embarassing - Heinlein's plot or your Freudian slip!).
:oops: You're right. But then it was forty years ago I read the book.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Sunder wrote:Speaking of polygamy and WEIT, there was a mini-discussion over there where someone brought up the old line that if a man (in an Islamic society) can have multiple wives, things won't be equal until women can have multiple husbands. It's then pointed out that it can't really ever be equal, because even though you can fairly make the case that marriage isn't just about reproduction, that's pretty much the major impetus behind polygamist marriage. And the fact that women don't really get any kind of special reproductive deal out of it is enough to explain why polygyny is so much more common than polyandry.
They are delusional, we do what works, not what is fair. We are not Dunnocks and human males are more likely to compete for females with violence. This is the way we are wired.

We could look at some ancient societies where a chief/king would be succeeded by his sister's oldest son. This way he knew for certain that he was being succeeded by his own flesh and blood. His wife and his sister would be free to cavort with high status men within the tribe... and the king could keep a harem of concubines of the best women captured from other tribes. In this way the best people were only breeding with the best people -- rather than the risk of the queen fooling around with the servants. None of this is particularly relevant in modern societies. The bottom line is that none of these unusual archaic arrangements were about love and relationships, they were about protecting power and wealth from lust.
I think the Egyptians had a simpler system - marry the Pharaoh to his sister and cut out the middleman.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

The newest trend. Gun clubs forming for self defense against nazis.
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017 ... right.html
PZ will have to start encouraging the shooting of nazis now instead of punching them.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

This is the left's version of the Satanic Panic. They need Nazis the way the fundies needed Satanists.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

free thoughtpolice wrote:The newest trend. Gun clubs forming for self defense against nazis.
PZ will have to start encouraging the shooting of nazis now instead of punching them.
So they've moved from bike locks to guns. Cool.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I just got to watch Spider-Man: Homecoming. It was pretty good, all things considered. But I'm a bit confused: how did the kid get his powers? Why is his hot aunt single? Doesn't she have a husband or something?

Really, not so much as an introductory chapter. Hard to get in touch with the character...

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Danielle Muscato's buddy has a game in the works. Looks like meh, but they'll make their Kickstarter goal in the next few hours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ca ... o-f-and-te

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Of course, I meant to post that elsewhere. Rats.

Guest_d2e60302

Post by Guest_d2e60302 »

On Facebook, my brother points to this propublica article:

propublica org/article/white-hate-group-campaign-of-menace-rise-above-movement
Racist, Violent, Unpunished: A White Hate Group’s Campaign of Menace
They train to fight. They post their beatings online. And so far, they have little reason to fear the authorities.
It's about the organized, training campaigns of white supremacists.

But this isn't about the paramilitary groups you might see in the movies, to read the propublica article, it's about a bunch of LARPers, but okay, their right wing, asshole LARPers.

Well here's Buzzfeed, proudly touting the Antifa version of the same.

buzzfeed com/katetalerico/from-gym-to-gun-range-heres-where-antifa-train
From The Gym To The Gun Range, Here's Where Antifa Learn To Fight
How anti-fascists across the country are training to take on the far right
It's basically the same fucking article about the same asshole LARPers, except this time, they are antifa, and this time they are somehow anti-hate.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:The newest trend. Gun clubs forming for self defense against nazis.
You have to admit, though, "the Trigger Warning" is a great name for a "Queer & Trans Gun Club". :lol:

As long as they teach safe and responsible gun training I really don't mind this. I received marksmanship training from the Swiss Army, and while I don't own a gun at the moment I value that training as a useful life lesson. Plus it's fun to shoot at inanimate objects, I sometimes still go to the firing range for some practice.

John D

Post by John D »

Ape+lust wrote:Danielle Muscato's buddy has a game in the works. Looks like meh, but they'll make their Kickstarter goal in the next few hours.

Oh god.... this is definitely not my kind of party game. Being a straight married guy with only one sex partner in my life... well... I would never score anything. Haha. Also, I really think it is gross to have a beer with my good friends and talk about their sex life. Really.... I just never do this kind of thing. I don't want to think about my friends fucking. It's private.

John D

Post by John D »

John D wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Danielle Muscato's buddy has a game in the works. Looks like meh, but they'll make their Kickstarter goal in the next few hours.

Oh god.... this is definitely not my kind of party game. Being a straight married guy with only one sex partner in my life... well... I would never score anything. Haha. Also, I really think it is gross to have a beer with my good friends and talk about their sex life. Really.... I just never do this kind of thing. I don't want to think about my friends fucking. It's private.
And the dood says the game is patent pending... but.... seriously... you can't patent a game. Total bullshit. You can protect a few things with trademark and copyrights... but unless you invent something... like a card shuffler or dice roller machine, there is nothing to a game that you can patent. I wonder if they wasted money on a lawyer to file this?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote:

The big difference is: we're futzing around with something in our spare time for shits & giggles; that's their idea of a career move.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: And the dood says the game is patent pending... but.... seriously... you can't patent a game. Total bullshit. You can protect a few things with trademark and copyrights... but unless you invent something... like a card shuffler or dice roller machine, there is nothing to a game that you can patent. I wonder if they wasted money on a lawyer to file this?
You can patent a game mechanic. I know cuz a patent attorney once told me so after I'd let one slip into the public domain.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

'Have you ever had sex with someone when they were one gender, then later when they were another?'

'Have you ever changed gender in the middle of a sex act?'

'Have you ever been consensually raped in the ass while your head was shoved into a toilet?'

'What are your pet names for your girlcock and your boypussy?'

I predict hours & hours of boisterous entertainment. :bjarte:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I just got to watch Spider-Man: Homecoming. It was pretty good, all things considered. But I'm a bit confused: how did the kid get his powers? Why is his hot aunt single? Doesn't she have a husband or something?

Really, not so much as an introductory chapter. Hard to get in touch with the character...
Personally I really appreciated them skipping over the whole spiderman creation story & just jumping into the meat.

Pretty much everyone knows who spiderman is. I hate seeing the same movie over and over again.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:'Have you ever had sex with someone when they were one gender, then later when they were another?'

'Have you ever been consensually raped in the ass while your head was shoved into a toilet?'

Do people really like to sit around and share sex stories? Is this a thing? The thought of this makes the hair on my neck stand up.... yikes!

"Have you had your penis in someone's ass and then just shoved your shit covered member right in their mouth?"
"Have you every licked semen out of a recently filled ass hole?"
"Have you ever had someone's entire fist stuck into any of your orifices?'

WTF... seriously.... WTF. The more I think about this the worse it sounds.

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
John D wrote: And the dood says the game is patent pending... but.... seriously... you can't patent a game. Total bullshit. You can protect a few things with trademark and copyrights... but unless you invent something... like a card shuffler or dice roller machine, there is nothing to a game that you can patent. I wonder if they wasted money on a lawyer to file this?
You can patent a game mechanic. I know cuz a patent attorney once told me so after I'd let one slip into the public domain.
This is a surprise to me. Do you know of any particular mechanic that is patented? Did someone actually step on your work by filing a bogus patent claim on you?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

deLurch wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I just got to watch Spider-Man: Homecoming. It was pretty good, all things considered. But I'm a bit confused: how did the kid get his powers? Why is his hot aunt single? Doesn't she have a husband or something?

Personally I really appreciated them skipping over the whole spiderman creation story & just jumping into the meat.

Pretty much everyone knows who spiderman is. I hate seeing the same movie over and over again.
Joke--->

- - - - - - - - - - - -

deLurch's head.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

John D wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:'Have you ever had sex with someone when they were one gender, then later when they were another?'

Do people really like to sit around and share sex stories? Is this a thing? The thought of this makes the hair on my neck stand up.... yikes!

"Have you had your penis in someone's ass and then just shoved your shit covered member right in their mouth?"

If you want to share sex stories with some friends and everybody's in, I don't see a problem.

But do you need a fucking game in order to do so? Spin The Bottle was invented ages ago for that very purpose. Talk about socially stunted.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Sorry, I was thinking about Truth Or Dare.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

John D wrote:

It could be worse. They could have the (Insert Southern State of Choice) Family Edition.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

MP quits equality committee over homophobic remarks. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sout ... e-41724540
Labour MP Jared O'Mara has quit the Commons equality committee over online homophobic comments he made before being elected to Parliament.

Mr O'Mara also made sexist remarks, joked about having an orgy with members of Girls Aloud and posted degrading comments about fat people.

The Sheffield Hallam MP, 36, was elected in June, unseating ex-deputy prime minister Nick Clegg.

Mr O'Mara resigned from the Women and Equalities Committee after apologising.

'Must quit committee'

In posts made on the Drowned in Sound music website in 2004, Mr O'Mara claimed singer Michelle McManus only won Pop Idol "because she was fat" and said it would be funny if jazz star Jamie Cullum was "sodomised with his own piano".

The posts were first reported by the Guido Fawkes website, which has since revealed that two years earlier Mr O'Mara made homophobic remarks on an internet forum. The MP has also apologised for these comments and said he was "deeply ashamed" of his actions.
He's fucked.

John D

Post by John D »

Lsuoma wrote:MP quits equality committee over homophobic remarks. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sout ... e-41724540
Labour MP Jared O'Mara has quit the Commons equality committee over online homophobic comments he made before being elected to Parliament.

Mr O'Mara also made sexist remarks, joked about having an orgy with members of Girls Aloud and posted degrading comments about fat people.

The Sheffield Hallam MP, 36, was elected in June, unseating ex-deputy prime minister Nick Clegg.

Mr O'Mara resigned from the Women and Equalities Committee after apologising.

'Must quit committee'

In posts made on the Drowned in Sound music website in 2004, Mr O'Mara claimed singer Michelle McManus only won Pop Idol "because she was fat" and said it would be funny if jazz star Jamie Cullum was "sodomised with his own piano".

The posts were first reported by the Guido Fawkes website, which has since revealed that two years earlier Mr O'Mara made homophobic remarks on an internet forum. The MP has also apologised for these comments and said he was "deeply ashamed" of his actions.
He's fucked.
Voters are happy to forgive murderous felons and people who stole government money... and re-elect them.... But don't say shit about those faggots and fatties!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Plus, the turdbucket looks a bit like Mark Fuckerturd...

free thoughtpolice

Ed Brayton has a post up about an incident.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dispatches ... er-speech/
They told Gainesville police detectives a silver Jeep sport utility vehicle pulled up to them and one of the passengers began to praise Adolph Hitler. One of the protesters used a baton to bash the back window of the Jeep and Tenbrink, of Richmond, Texas, pulled out a handgun and fired a round.

William and Colton Fears, both of Pasadena, Texas, told Tenbrink to kill them, according to an Alachua County (Fla.) Sheriff’s Office report.
This happened in Gainesville Florida where they have the stand your ground rule. Maybe there is more to the story, such as he shot at someone that was fleeing, but from the bare bones story sounds more like self defense than the Zimmerman thing.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Mr. Metokur on the recent phenomenon of tricking your husband into eating your period blood and urine, people drinking semen and everything else that makes me nauseous.

Yay feminism.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Oh Becky. Just as you achieved irrelevance you had to come back to the bone for another chomp.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I liove how Watson expertly weaves hidden meaning that only her clever friends will understand.

It's a gift.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:I liove how Watson expertly weaves hidden meaning that only her clever friends will understand.

It's a gift.
Aside from her intermittent videos, has she actually done anything in skepticism over the past few years? Elsewhere? It's amazing that she pays her bills and surfs and buys pot on the money she gets from a couple short videos a month.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Really? wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:I liove how Watson expertly weaves hidden meaning that only her clever friends will understand.

It's a gift.
Aside from her intermittent videos, has she actually done anything in skepticism over the past few years? Elsewhere? It's amazing that she pays her bills and surfs and buys pot on the money she gets from a couple short videos a month.
She was only self sufficient for a couple of months, a period she describes as falling into the pit of madness.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Damon and Clooney didn't know shit about Harvey.

Oh, and they have a new movie coming out. Go see their movie.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

I'm curious, and obviously not a lawyer, but how in the everloving fuck is this the slightest bit legal?
http://i.imgur.com/tBGPtpM.png

Really?

Post by Really? »

Sulman wrote:I'm curious, and obviously not a lawyer, but how in the everloving fuck is this the slightest bit legal?
Because only three of the 540 million rapes that occurred in the United States last year resulted in an arrest and even that guy wasn't convicted.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Sulman wrote:I'm curious, and obviously not a lawyer, but how in the everloving fuck is this the slightest bit legal?
IANAL either, but whoever wrote that might be leaving their pants down for a big libel suit if the people he is talking about stay un-convicted. If they are public figures, though, it becomes ludicrously hard to sue for that kind of thing, and she might get off without consequences because of that.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The only time a bunch of guys sits around talking about their sex lives is when they are 14 and lying about it.

free thoughtpolice

free thoughtpolice wrote:Ed Brayton has a post up about an incident.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dispatches ... er-speech/
They told Gainesville police detectives a silver Jeep sport utility vehicle pulled up to them and one of the passengers began to praise Adolph Hitler. One of the protesters used a baton to bash the back window of the Jeep and Tenbrink, of Richmond, Texas, pulled out a handgun and fired a round.

William and Colton Fears, both of Pasadena, Texas, told Tenbrink to kill them, according to an Alachua County (Fla.) Sheriff’s Office report.
This happened in Gainesville Florida where they have the stand your ground rule. Maybe there is more to the story, such as he shot at someone that was fleeing, but from the bare bones story sounds more like self defense than the Zimmerman thing.
P.S. On reading further, the shooter and friends had driven a distance, then stopped, so probably not self defense.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

MarcusAu wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
They are delusional, we do what works, not what is fair. We are not Dunnocks and human males are more likely to compete for females with violence. This is the way we are wired.

We could look at some ancient societies where a chief/king would be succeeded by his sister's oldest son. This way he knew for certain that he was being succeeded by his own flesh and blood. His wife and his sister would be free to cavort with high status men within the tribe... and the king could keep a harem of concubines of the best women captured from other tribes. In this way the best people were only breeding with the best people -- rather than the risk of the queen fooling around with the servants. None of this is particularly relevant in modern societies. The bottom line is that none of these unusual archaic arrangements were about love and relationships, they were about protecting power and wealth from lust.
That's the counterpoint that you don't get from a movie / play like 'A Man for All Seasons'. It was important to the whole country that Henry VIII had a clear successor to the throne - otherwise the consequences could be more civil war and strife. So I can understand talking a more pragmatic stand than the principled one of Thomas More, which could tend to undermine the stability of that society.
I was a light board operator for a production once. The director insisted on not cutting a single sacred line of this interminably long play. And the guy playing More had a habit of starting pages-long speeches over from the beginning whenever he botched a line, which was often. I never did figure out if it was the only way he could remember it or if he thought everyone deserved to hear it delivered perfectly.

By the end of the run I would have happily cut the fuckers head off myself.

Worst. Job. Ever.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

It's a gift.
It's Monday afternoon and I've already had 3 different requests to talk about different serial harassers. Is it 2011 again? gif related lol
So is that "gift related lol" a not so subtle insinuation that one half of Penn & Teller also once grabbed her pissed up arse?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:

The only time a bunch of guys sits around talking about their sex lives is when they are 14 and lying about it.
It sounds like the kind of game that Dick Carrier would enjoy playing.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

It's a gift.
Here in California it's called a 'scrip'.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

"I tend to believe the victim" = "I assume the accusation is accurate as a given".

aka "I believe everything I'm told if it reinforces my biases" aka "I 100% use motivated reasoning"

How can people not see this? Like, this is something I've run into IRL a whole bunch "believing victims" is fine, but it's pretty easy to just lie.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Sunder wrote:
But trying to have a three-party relationship just doesn't work. It cannot work.
Well there is Tibet Polyandry.
In most cases the husbands of women with multiple husbands are brothers. Sometimes children are not sure who their real fathers are. Tibetan women have traditionally lived with one brother at a time while the others were away fighting, herding, trading or spending time in a monastery. The oldest brother is generally regarded as the father of the children, who refer to all the brother-husbands as father. The custom is believed to have evolved to make the inheritance of property an easier process and prevent the break up of plots of land.
Even then there are issues despite there being clear and sensible reasons for practising it.
Dorje's family represents some of the potential dangers of a polyandrous marriage. “He is fifteen years old and his two older brothers are twenty-five and twenty-two years old. The new bride is twenty-three years old, eight years Dorje's senior. Sometimes such a bride finds the youngest husband immature and adolescent and does not treat him with equal affection; alternatively, she may find his youth attractive and lavish special attention on him. Apart from that consideration, when a younger male like Dorje grows up, he may consider his wife "ancient" and prefer the company of a woman his own age or younger. “ \=/
The links I had to two papers on the subject now 404. So here is another The Ethics (and Economics) of Tibetan Polyandry
I have not read this paper like I did the others (going to see if I can find copies of the papers I read before) but I skimmed the first ten or so pages and it looks worth having a read.

YMMV

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I've heard good things but have not got into the RadioLabs podcast. Recently they did a story on Shia Le Beouff and his trials and tribulations with 4chan - 'Truth Trolls'

It became (another) case of the reporting on the story becoming the story - in that they took it down because fans complained that it looked they were endorsing the trolls behaviour.

What Radiolab had to say:
http://www.radiolab.org/story/note-jad- ... relikethis

And you can judge for yourself as the episode is on Youtube & Archive.org (and 'm sure in other places too).

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Donkula helps a lost soul...

:popcorn:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Sunder wrote:
But trying to have a three-party relationship just doesn't work. It cannot work.
Well there is Tibet Polyandry.
In most cases the husbands of women with multiple husbands are brothers. Sometimes children are not sure who their real fathers are. Tibetan women have traditionally lived with one brother at a time while the others were away fighting, herding, trading or spending time in a monastery. The oldest brother is generally regarded as the father of the children, who refer to all the brother-husbands as father. The custom is believed to have evolved to make the inheritance of property an easier process and prevent the break up of plots of land.
Even then there are issues despite there being clear and sensible reasons for practising it.
Dorje's family represents some of the potential dangers of a polyandrous marriage. “He is fifteen years old and his two older brothers are twenty-five and twenty-two years old. The new bride is twenty-three years old, eight years Dorje's senior. Sometimes such a bride finds the youngest husband immature and adolescent and does not treat him with equal affection; alternatively, she may find his youth attractive and lavish special attention on him. Apart from that consideration, when a younger male like Dorje grows up, he may consider his wife "ancient" and prefer the company of a woman his own age or younger. “ \=/
The links I had to two papers on the subject now 404. So here is another The Ethics (and Economics) of Tibetan Polyandry
I have not read this paper like I did the others (going to see if I can find copies of the papers I read before) but I skimmed the first ten or so pages and it looks worth having a read.

YMMV
Polyandry is referred to in Kim by Kipling, and Alice Albinia states that it is still practiced in Ladakh (Kipling) as well as Tibet.

https://books.google.com/books?id=vGd9H ... im&f=false

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

In the wake of the Weinstein scandal conservatives are now jumping on the moral panic bandwagon, unable to see how they're doing the same shit they've been bitching about liberals doing and insisting that where there's smoke there's fire.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Really? wrote:Mr. Metokur on the recent phenomenon of tricking your husband into eating your period blood and urine, people drinking semen and everything else that makes me nauseous.

Yay feminism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZywfwdTA2U
I listened through and nodded along, as most of this shit was stuff I'd read or heard on the Pit before. Gross as all hell but I wasn't too fazed.

Then he got to the "bacon" part and I started retching. And no, I did not click the link.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news :

Protesters call for Canada to revoke Aung San Suu Kyi’s honorary citizenship

And as day follows night :

Trudeau appoints Bob Rae as special envoy to Myanmar

I believe I understand what is happening with the Rohingya. Put very simply it is a cultural clash and the Rohingya supremacism has written cheques that they never had the resources to cash against the Myanmar supremacism (IOW Buddhism (88%) vs minority Muslim (5%)).

I am not saying who started it. That is actually immaterial. The fact of the matter is that it is occurring within a culture where a quick escalation to violence as a dispute resolution mechanism is common, and given the incompatibility between the cultures and the inability of the populations in conflict to merge, the result is inevitable.

Meanwhile the West twitters and wrings it's hands in incomprehension. But of course the West firmly believes in "diversity" and "multiculturalism" so no surprise there.

Anyway, unless the West wants to invade, bombs, boots on the ground, etc. etc. the Rohingya are going to be exterminated. There is not enough sympathy for them within the rest of Burma to maintain a viable existence.

(As I noted above this is very simplistic. The reality is much more complex and I am pretty sure I have missed much. I am not going to pretend I understand everything. I do not. What I do understand is enough to predict the outcome in this situation )

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Sunder wrote:
Really? wrote:Mr. Metokur on the recent phenomenon of tricking your husband into eating your period blood and urine, people drinking semen and everything else that makes me nauseous.

Yay feminism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZywfwdTA2U
I listened through and nodded along, as most of this shit was stuff I'd read or heard on the Pit before. Gross as all hell but I wasn't too fazed
Then he got to the "bacon" part and I started retching. And no, I did not click the link.

Like the guy said on a youtube video where a naked women sat on a chair and people were asked to dab their fingers in her menstrual blood and write something on her body, "I'm an atheist and even I think these people need Jesus."

For some people, when there is no Boundary Maker, then there are no boundaries. These kind of people make bad atheists. There is no morality, their laughable reply to any activity that crosses what you say is a moral boundary is that pre-programmed reply "you are <insert behavior being criticized here> shaming."

free thoughtpolice

AndrewV69 wrote:In other news :

I believe I understand what is happening with the Rohingya. Put very simply it is a cultural clash and the Rohingya supremacism has written cheques that they never had the resources to cash against the Myanmar supremacism (IOW Buddhism (88%) vs minority Muslim (5%)).

I am not saying who started it. That is actually immaterial. The fact of the matter is that it is occurring within a culture where a quick escalation to violence as a dispute resolution mechanism is common, and given the incompatibility between the cultures and the inability of the populations in conflict to merge, the result is inevitable.

Meanwhile the West twitters and wrings it's hands in incomprehension. But of course the West firmly believes in "diversity" and "multiculturalism" so no surprise there.

Anyway, unless the West wants to invade, bombs, boots on the ground, etc. etc. the Rohingya are going to be exterminated. There is not enough sympathy for them within the rest of Burma to maintain a viable existence.

(As I noted above this is very simplistic. The reality is much more complex and I am pretty sure I have missed much. I am not going to pretend I understand everything. I do not. What I do understand is enough to predict the outcome in this situation )
Maybe if they all agree to piss on Qurans they will be allowed to live. nigger cunt phone app :drool: :drool: :drool:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:In other news :

<snip>

Maybe if they all agree to piss on Qurans they will be allowed to live. nigger cunt phone app :drool: :drool: :drool:
:lol: Still angling for "sycophant's wages", are you? Told y'all I couldn't pay you enough to make you look any better than Ken's mom ... ;-)

But nice try, though; think you hit all the bases, even if it wasn't good enough for a home-run. :roll: