In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: We've got a few VLATs here - two DC-10s and a 747. Yesterday the 747 was making tight turns over my ranch -- cool to see such a big airliner using full rudder not just banks.
I know what you mean - I was at Seafair in Seattle at 2011, just after the 747-8 was launched, and they were doing some fairly meaty tricks at low level. This captures some of it, but not all.

Of course, nothing matches dogfighting on a networked flight sim on Silicon Graphics workstations where one of the engineers who had access to the source code has hacked the flight params so his 747 flies like an F16 (and your F16 flies like a 747)...
Nothing, though, beats seeing a C-5 on final approach hang in the sky the same way a brick doesn't.
Again, I know what you mean - I see those things arriving at McChord (now JBLM) and the end of the runway is pretty close to I-5.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

This has to do with the competition between Conair and Coulson for which gets the lucrative BC contracts. Conair has won it with more ,small capacity and also giving more political contributions. Coulson lost BC government contracts because they didn't have the same political connections.
The plane in question has been going through maintenance and upgrades and if it isn't available they have also updated C 130s that have direct fire capabilities and are adapting 737s (not sure if they are on the market yet.)

Guest_09522ed6

Post by Guest_09522ed6 »

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: We've got a few VLATs here - two DC-10s and a 747. Yesterday the 747 was making tight turns over my ranch -- cool to see such a big airliner using full rudder not just banks.
I know what you mean - I was at Seafair in Seattle at 2011, just after the 747-8 was launched, and they were doing some fairly meaty tricks at low level. This captures some of it, but not all.

Of course, nothing matches dogfighting on a networked flight sim on Silicon Graphics workstations where one of the engineers who had access to the source code has hacked the flight params so his 747 flies like an F16 (and your F16 flies like a 747)...
Nothing, though, beats seeing a C-5 on final approach hang in the sky the same way a brick doesn't.
Again, I know what you mean - I see those things arriving at McChord (now JBLM) and the end of the runway is pretty close to I-5.
What, no Immelmann?

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Just finished getting through that 1.5 hour non-stop dumpster fire that was the Carl/Thomas "interview".

I'm not sure there was a winner. Thomas was definitely a loser, he lost to an astronomical degree. I think his strongest point was the race issue, on every other point he lost the plot and a had terrible lack of control over his emotions. He obviously came in with the idea of a moral high ground and thought he would chastise not only Carl, but also the audience. A monumental miscalculation. If anything he should be trying to think like a politician courting votes.

But on the other hand, Carl barely got a chance to expand on his ideas and the ones he got out most were sound enough, they should have been supported with observable evidence. So, I think he won mainly on the fact that he had a supportive crowd that largely agreed already.

On second thoughts, the conference won. While they may have taken an additional financial hit, they have already made that money back, and the drama at the Sargon event is exactly the kind of drama sport that people love.

Maybe it's just me but I would have liked to see someone like thunderf00t sit down with sargon. They care big enough names that they would draw a large crowd, and they are reasonable enough people that they could sit down and have a discussion which may be heated, but not the shitshow that this was.

I don't think you'll see a repeat of this next year. No one in the SJW or SJW related crowd is going to go near these types of conferences when they don't have the censorship advantage.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: My parents split when I was 11 and I grew up in kids' homes and with foster parents. I was heavily into applied physiological chemistry for a while, and if things had gone wrong for me, I could easily have ended up as a Borstal boy. As it was, my school (the Math School/Sir Joseph Williamson's/Joe Willie's) was a stable point in my life, and I had some great teachers who looked after me. The KCC used to use me as proof that growing up in care could work out for some kids. One of the kids' home I was in was an all-male one, and was for disturbed kids (I got sent there because it was the only place that had room). I was there for a few weeks, and got the shit kicked out of me regularly. The warden was also a nonce, and he used to like putting his hands down boys swimming trunk to make sure that their cock was properly stowed...
Shit that's tough fella, luckily I had a fairly ordinary if unproductive school and family life although we did have a music teacher called Mr.Savage who excelled in living up to his name.

(Upbury Manor. Or the Rabbit Warren as is was often referred to because of the number of girls who managed to be with child. None of them mine I hasten to add)
Something you might be interested in, more or less hot off the press: https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status ... 0567227392

Although some might discount it entirely because the infamous Paul Joseph Watson, himself, tweeted it. But sure looks like the woman in question should have been deported the moment she got out of prison.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Hot take from Lily.
So Boris is officially a pedometer now?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Guest_09522ed6 wrote:
Don't know who that was. But he was funny.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
Yeah:
https://twitter.com/SteersMann/status/9 ... 2085289984

You might also be interested in: https://twitter.com/Paola_Dec1231/statu ... 5283490816

Hope Trudeau and his odious ilk are ridden out of town - and out of power - on a rail. And sure looks like the #M103/"islamophobia" issue is going to be a major contributor to his sinking.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Steersman wrote: https://twitter.com/StaunchA/status/917629055712739328

And somewhat peripherally related to the above, and to the Pit's interest in all things Jordan Peterson:
Jordan Peterson: “I don’t think that men can control crazy women”
U of T psychology prof says he's "defenceless" against "female insanity" ....
Seems a bit off the wall.
This reminded me of my friend Glenn. Glenn was dorky.
I don't mean he was a dork, I mean he was kinda awkward and clumsy, but it suited him, it made him even more cute. He had done some modeling for teen magazines and he was quite a looker. He was about as harmless and docile as you can imagine, which to be honest is a bit of a turn-off for most girls. But he was funny and charming... he was a bit like a young Hugh Grant. I think most of thought he was quite a catch but none us really wanted to catch him. But if you had a friend you wanted to fix up, he seemed perfect.

A friend of mine knew this girl that she worked with who was small, thin and pretty. It was so sad, she had been so unlucky. She was such a nice girl, but she had just come out of her second abusive relationship. She just had bad taste in men.

It seemed like a fantastic idea to fix her up with Glenn. A decent guy like Glenn would sort her out.

Glenn did sort her out. Just three fucking days later, Glenn had given her a black eye. Let that sink in.

I didn't know her, but I had known Glenn for about 6 years, and if her slapped her she must have really been pressing his buttons.

The irony is she seems to have gotten what she wanted and was quite happy to carry on the relationship. Glenn on the other hand was fucking terrified by what she made him become. So he ended it, with her, and with his entire circle of friends.

If I haven't mentioned it before, my mother was extremely violent. But for me this incident really shaped a deep suspicion of women who claim to be victims of domestic violence. So I read almost to the end of that article before realizing it was supposed to be a hit piece.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Also, what's with this British deal, using "bacon" as a synonym for pedophile? Broke my heart when I heard it. Bacon is good stuff.

2:30ish

Guest_09522ed6

Post by Guest_09522ed6 »

But for me this incident really shaped a deep suspicion of women who claim to be victims of domestic violence. So I read almost to the end of that article before realizing it was supposed to be a hit piece.
That's the second, I am certain there will be more, article that deliberately takes what Peterson said out of context.

In many ways though, it seems similar to the misconstrual of Sargon's "I wouldn't even rape you".

Peterson says he doesn't know how to handle certain female behaviors because he knows he cannot use what's in the tools culture provides men when dealing, conversing, and last resort fighting with men.

That's intentionally misrepresented to imply Peterson says men need to beat up women to control them.
The Varsity has reached out to U of T media relations and Peterson for comment.
As if Peterson has said anything taboo at all here.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Lsuoma wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:You weren't sent to prison at 15 you went to a young offenders institute. (Borstal in old money)
At 15 you were old enough to know the difference from right and wrong.
Your family upbringing is no excuse for your crime.
Stop blaming other people for your own decisions.
Take some responsibility for your own actions.
SKY TV (and the rest) stop making this crap.
If you want to gain useful employment make an effort and start by giving up the "I is a oppressed Muslim innit" nonsense.

Rant over .. :x

[thweet]https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/917631011965431809[/tweet]
I was fucking BORN in Borstal. A genuine Borstal Boy.

Back then, there were rights of way that went through the institution, and we used to walk through it on our way to play in Robin Hood Woods. I remember being scared to crappery whenever we ran into one of the inmates in their blue overalls. They never did anything, and they were often basically kids who'd been dealt a bum hand and not managed to cope with it. The work they used to do was essentially pig farming.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

:nin: Fuck, Barbie!
I couldn't listen to the studio version after hearing that live one.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

DownThunder wrote:Just finished getting through that 1.5 hour non-stop dumpster fire that was the Carl/Thomas "interview".

I'm not sure there was a winner. Thomas was definitely a loser, he lost to an astronomical degree. I think his strongest point was the race issue, on every other point he lost the plot and a had terrible lack of control over his emotions. He obviously came in with the idea of a moral high ground and thought he would chastise not only Carl, but also the audience. A monumental miscalculation. If anything he should be trying to think like a politician courting votes.

But on the other hand, Carl barely got a chance to expand on his ideas and the ones he got out most were sound enough, they should have been supported with observable evidence. So, I think he won mainly on the fact that he had a supportive crowd that largely agreed already.

On second thoughts, the conference won. While they may have taken an additional financial hit, they have already made that money back, and the drama at the Sargon event is exactly the kind of drama sport that people love.

Maybe it's just me but I would have liked to see someone like thunderf00t sit down with sargon. They care big enough names that they would draw a large crowd, and they are reasonable enough people that they could sit down and have a discussion which may be heated, but not the shitshow that this was.

I don't think you'll see a repeat of this next year. No one in the SJW or SJW related crowd is going to go near these types of conferences when they don't have the censorship advantage.
I endorse this message.

As I said earlier, this was supposed to be an interview, Carl went prepared with a load of political/philosophical stuff, i think he thought he would be able to talk about classical liberalism. So I am hardly surprised that he wasn't armed with data about US crime statistics of the lack of diversity on universities. He was ambushed. I have a sneaking suspicion he wouldn't have done as well if he had been prepared for this.

I also think that you are going to be hard pushed to find a regressive willing to debate, unless they think they are playing to a home crowd and you can use their ego to goad them into a debate.... I am thinking Dr. Dick Carrier. =P

Dave Rubin was originally on the bill for this event, I could see a situation where one of theirs interviewed Rubin, didn't like the answers and that turned into a debate. In many ways I think that could be a lot more effective as many of the criticism I have heard from progressive leaning people are largely tribal and unfounded. There is also Laci Green and even Mr Rapzion, both were formerly religious and now atheist, both hostile to progressives but largely squeeky clean.

I have been scanning Youtube for responses and reading the comments.I don't recall seeing anybody arguing that Smith won the debate. A few have asserted it, but none have argued it. Instead they argue that Sargon is an awful person because he sends "rape threats". A few claim to have gone and watched his content which they characterize as being him cherry picking arguments and shouting about them. They also describe him as being dim and uneducated. Most of them just argue that he is actually right wing on the ground that he doesn't hold exactly the same positions they do. It is all very predictable.

So I have seen no evidence that anyone's mind got changed. The only thing we can say for certain is that four "Liberals" manage to get into this event and talk about politics which oppose the progressives -- that's if you count Melissa Chen which I do. I have not seen a lot of push back against Greg, June and Melissa. In the long game they may have actually been more effective at changing minds.

There have to be a silent majority/middle at these conferences who do not really take a side or too scared to stand up to the progressives and say "I don not agree with you". I suspect most of them will stay silent for the time being.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Steersman wrote:
[.tweet]https://twitter.com/StaunchA/status/917629055712739328[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/StaunchA/status/917629055712739328

And somewhat peripherally related to the above, and to the Pit's interest in all things Jordan Peterson:
Jordan Peterson: “I don’t think that men can control crazy women”
U of T psychology prof says he's "defenceless" against "female insanity" ....
Seems a bit off the wall.
This reminded me of my friend Glenn. Glenn was dorky.
<snkp>

It seemed like a fantastic idea to fix her up with Glenn. A decent guy like Glenn would sort her out.

Glenn did sort her out. Just three fucking days later, Glenn had given her a black eye. Let that sink in.

I didn't know her, but I had known Glenn for about 6 years, and if her slapped her she must have really been pressing his buttons.

The irony is she seems to have gotten what she wanted and was quite happy to carry on the relationship. Glenn on the other hand was fucking terrified by what she made him become. So he ended it, with her, and with his entire circle of friends.

If I haven't mentioned it before, my mother was extremely violent. But for me this incident really shaped a deep suspicion of women who claim to be victims of domestic violence. So I read almost to the end of that article before realizing it was supposed to be a hit piece.
Interesting, although I'm sorry to hear that about your mother - figure there is virtually no role - even motherhood - or behaviour or even food - even! apple pie! - that doesn't exhibit, in some cases, some serious pathologies.

But a bit of a "problematic" issue, one which seems to be compounded by many women apparently daring men to "get physical" with them on the questionable if not dangerous assumption that they're precluded from doing so. Seem to recollect a couple of YouTube videos of several different women slapping men around until they responded in kind, although one case was certainly disproportionate. And a douple of old Voice for Men posts from several years ago that address the issue, even if Elam in particular looks like he's gone off the deep end a bit himself:
If You See Jezebel in the Road, Run the Bitch Down
Manufacturing female victims, marginalizing vulnerable men
Violent Men: When Harry Hit Mary
Can’t we all just get along?
And one from Maggie McNeill, the Honest Courtesan: Traitors to their sex

In any case, kind of agree that it was something of a hit piece on Peterson, something that came out in several of the reply tweets in response to the one that linked to it. Generally not a good idea to be hitting anyone - Nazis or otherwise - but also not sure that it's wise to insist that it's never justified.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

It was supposed to be an interview, not a debate. But I think there's an audience for this sort of cultural jousting & hopefully the relevant event organizers took note.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Easy J wrote::nin: Fuck, Barbie!
I couldn't listen to the studio version after hearing that live one.
I am a huge fan of Garage, especially Texas Garage. But I never liked punk.... except Sham 69.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

VickyCaramel wrote:
DownThunder wrote:Just finished getting through that 1.5 hour non-stop dumpster fire that was the Carl/Thomas "interview".

I endorse this message.

As I said earlier, this was supposed to be an interview, Carl went prepared with a load of political/philosophical stuff, i think he thought he would be able to talk about classical liberalism. So I am hardly surprised that he wasn't armed with data about US crime statistics of the lack of diversity on universities. He was ambushed. I have a sneaking suspicion he wouldn't have done as well if he had been prepared for this.

I also think that you are going to be hard pushed to find a regressive willing to debate, unless they think they are playing to a home crowd and you can use their ego to goad them into a debate.... I am thinking Dr. Dick Carrier. =P

Dave Rubin was originally on the bill for this event, I could see a situation where one of theirs interviewed Rubin, didn't like the answers and that turned into a debate. In many ways I think that could be a lot more effective as many of the criticism I have heard from progressive leaning people are largely tribal and unfounded. There is also Laci Green and even Mr Rapzion, both were formerly religious and now atheist, both hostile to progressives but largely squeeky clean.

I have been scanning Youtube for responses and reading the comments.I don't recall seeing anybody arguing that Smith won the debate. A few have asserted it, but none have argued it. Instead they argue that Sargon is an awful person because he sends "rape threats". A few claim to have gone and watched his content which they characterize as being him cherry picking arguments and shouting about them. They also describe him as being dim and uneducated. Most of them just argue that he is actually right wing on the ground that he doesn't hold exactly the same positions they do. It is all very predictable.

So I have seen no evidence that anyone's mind got changed. The only thing we can say for certain is that four "Liberals" manage to get into this event and talk about politics which oppose the progressives -- that's if you count Melissa Chen which I do. I have not seen a lot of push back against Greg, June and Melissa. In the long game they may have actually been more effective at changing minds.

There have to be a silent majority/middle at these conferences who do not really take a side or too scared to stand up to the progressives and say "I don not agree with you". I suspect most of them will stay silent for the time being.
I recall that our sacha (with a c for constabulary) expressed that she quite liked physical dominance, and didn't mind being thrown across the room if it came to it. John Greg (pbuh) didn't like the idea, and would have refused to do it even if she had paid him.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Whoops. Wrong quote.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

It was supposed to be the other one by our Vicky. But you knew that.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

KiwiInOz wrote:Whoops. Wrong quote.
So you are saving these quotes up huh?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

deLurch wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:Whoops. Wrong quote.
So you are saving these quotes up huh?
I was taking a dadaist approach to quoting.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

VickyCaramel wrote:

I endorse this message.

I haven't seen a clip of June Greg or Melissa yet, apparently they didn't drum up as much controversy (on the day, not counting beforehand stuff). June and Greg probably come as a team, however June seems to be the weakest link with her ideas and knowledge. None the less they are very popular, and so that's why I think mythicist milwaukee played the popularity card, and won.

Laci Green would actually be a good pick. I know she had her "red pilling", terminology which I found odd considering I haven't seen her change her views or even address controversial things said in the past. None the less she seems to have less of the judgemental, pious, sanctimonious attitude that plagues her former friends and allies. So an actual challenging conversation would be possible. I always got the impression she figured that hanging around people who weren't feminists or SJWs was much more appealing than hanging around her former friendship circles.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

One of our long-time cats died today at 13. We are heartbroken - she was family.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote:One of our long-time cats died today at 13. We are heartbroken - she was family.
Very sad. My heartfelt condolences. They are family.

feathers

Post by feathers »

shoutinghorse wrote:Born and brought up in Medway myself mate.

One of my very first games playing Sunday league football (17 at the time) was away to the screws at Borstal. We won 7-1 if I remember. We had to get changed inside the walls so to speak and we had to wait in an anti room while they locked the boys in their cells before escorting us to the changing rooms.
Whilst waiting there was a young black lad probably 14 or 15 sweeping the guards office. It was the late 1970's and a few of our team were gesticulating monkey signs at him (not me of course :oops: ) eventually he lost it and gave us the 2 fingered salute much to our amusement. The guard caught him and gave him the biggest bollocking of his life which amused us all the more, I've never seen someone move a broom quicker.
's nothing. I was born in the Bijlmer recreation room while me mum was smoking a fag. Every day I had to dig a tunnel to the nearest village to buy sweets and cola and I got whacked if I returned without closing the hole properly.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Here is the full conference. Armored & Shoe did do some sugar coated SJW bashing. But they are cuter so harder to attack.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Lsuoma wrote:One of our long-time cats died today at 13. We are heartbroken - she was family.
That sucks.

May I recommend stuffing and mounting on the mantelpiece?

https://static4.gamespot.com/uploads/sc ... .11+am.jpg

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Sorry to hear this. I'm sure she enjoyed the best life you could give her.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Easy J wrote:Also, what's with this British deal, using "bacon" as a synonym for pedophile? Broke my heart when I heard it. Bacon is good stuff.

Right let me explain.
Firstly Bonce is British slang for the head, mainly used in southern England but often found in other parts of the UK.

Second. Nonce is British slang for a paedophile, origins are probably again from southern England or London and is prison slang for a kiddie fiddler and can also be used to describe a sexual abuser. These prisoners are normally kept on a separated wing of a prison 'Nonces Wing' for their own protection.

Third. 'Bacon Bonce' is Cockney rhyming slang (a Cockney is someone from London, specifically the east end) originally meaning Bacon Head = someone who was pig headed or stubborn.
Because Bonce also rhymes with Nonce it has changed in recent years to.mean a paedo.
Cockney rhyming slang often does that, for example the term 'Scooby-Doo' which is slang for "I haven't got a clue" is widely used now instead of the older used 'Danny La Rue' (Danny La Rue was a famous drag queen in the UK)

So to sum up .. 'Bacon Bonce' = 'Nonce' which is slang for a paedophile.

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/sl ... on_bonce_3

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Easy J wrote:Also, what's with this British deal, using "bacon" as a synonym for pedophile? Broke my heart when I heard it. Bacon is good stuff.

Right let me explain.
Firstly Bonce is British slang for the head, mainly used in southern England but often found in other parts of the UK.

Second. Nonce is British slang for a paedophile, origins are probably again from southern England or London and is prison slang for a kiddie fiddler and can also be used to describe a sexual abuser. These prisoners are normally kept on a separated wing of a prison 'Nonces Wing' for their own protection.

Third. 'Bacon Bonce' is Cockney rhyming slang (a Cockney is someone from London, specifically the east end) originally meaning Bacon Head = someone who was pig headed or stubborn.
Because Bonce also rhymes with Nonce it has changed in recent years to.mean a paedo.
Cockney rhyming slang often does that, for example the term 'Scooby-Doo' which is slang for "I haven't got a clue" is widely used now instead of the older used 'Danny La Rue' (Danny La Rue was a famous drag queen in the UK)

I think it's mockney. And it sounds like this chap has released a string of insults to use for the cameras.
Honestly, stuff like "bacon bonce" just never catches on, most of it doesn't because it just makes you sound like a berkshire hunt, even to other cockneys. It is almost always used for dramatic or comic effect.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Damn spell checker. "Released" should have been "rehearsed".

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Absolutely Vicky, most of the stuff you hear nowadays is just mockney and used for effect. Most Londoners I know hardly use it except for an occasional shortening like 'Barnet' or 'arris'

I was seeing a lady from Glasgow a few years ago and was amazed how often they used mockney up there. It did make me laugh hearing it in Glaswiegen.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

As long as they are not using "bacon".

Bacon is sacred.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Sorry FT and family, sad times. Cats have so much personality. Our longest living cat was 19 when she died...she was also a complete bitch for most of those years. C'est la vie, the really cute and cuddly ones never made it past 14.

On a related family note, I'm struggling with my inner cynic regarding my 13 year old. They have been indoctrinated discussing gender and sexual orientation at school. She came home today and told me it was World Coming Out day. Then she sat around, which is unusual for her after school, before finally saying 'and I'm bisexual'. I couldn't help but roll my eyes, while saying in my bestist Angelina Jolie parenting mode 'Óh, right, ok then'. And then thinking, at least she's not coming out as trans. She did ask me about my thoughts on trans genderism a couple of weeks ago, and probably wasn't expecting the half hour lecture on the state of trans activism and identity politics. Maybe that's what she was going to say until she heard my thoughts...

I can't help but think it is the current fashion trend to have a complicated identity. I realise I'm not being the model of a modern day parent though. I don't know how to handle it any other way than seeing it as a 13 year old who struggles socially, living in a foreign country going to an international school where her friends are constantly up and leaving as their expat parents move on to new posts. I'm going to have to talk to her about it, but no idea what way to tackle it. She's 13, dating and relationships isn't something we encourage at this age, so it seems kind of moot to me right now.

And I will have to play intermediary between complicated post-modern daughter and conservative British dad, who will think I'm talking a foreign language when I start mentioning about gender and identity.

It's all too fucking complicated for me.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

shoutinghorse wrote:

Right let me explain.

Thanks. That's freakin' awesome. Around here chester is pseudo-slang for a paedo, probably for sounding vaguely like "molester". But that stuff is on a whole other level. Normally I can piece slang together pretty intuitively. Cockney...not so much. Seeing how the meanings are derived feels a little like a magician showing you how a trick works.

Still sucks to see paedos ruin yet another favorite food barely a year after Pizzagate.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

I think that guy in the video is Gypsy, if that matters. He lives in a caravan. I don't have a sharp ear for those accents.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Sorry FT and family, sad times. Cats have so much personality. Our longest living cat was 19 when she died...she was also a complete bitch for most of those years. C'est la vie, the really cute and cuddly ones never made it past 14.

On a related family note, I'm struggling with my inner cynic regarding my 13 year old. They have been indoctrinated discussing gender and sexual orientation at school. She came home today and told me it was World Coming Out day. Then she sat around, which is unusual for her after school, before finally saying 'and I'm bisexual'. I couldn't help but roll my eyes, while saying in my bestist Angelina Jolie parenting mode 'Óh, right, ok then'. And then thinking, at least she's not coming out as trans. She did ask me about my thoughts on trans genderism a couple of weeks ago, and probably wasn't expecting the half hour lecture on the state of trans activism and identity politics. Maybe that's what she was going to say until she heard my thoughts...

I can't help but think it is the current fashion trend to have a complicated identity. I realise I'm not being the model of a modern day parent though. I don't know how to handle it any other way than seeing it as a 13 year old who struggles socially, living in a foreign country going to an international school where her friends are constantly up and leaving as their expat parents move on to new posts. I'm going to have to talk to her about it, but no idea what way to tackle it. She's 13, dating and relationships isn't something we encourage at this age, so it seems kind of moot to me right now.

And I will have to play intermediary between complicated post-modern daughter and conservative British dad, who will think I'm talking a foreign language when I start mentioning about gender and identity.

Three years ago I was in an identical situation, even down to my daughter being in an international school.

If it's any consolation, most of the kids who come out as gay, bi or trans grow out of it when the next fad comes along. Then you will have to deal with self harm or shoplifting.

My daughter is incredibly rebellious and believes the exact opposite of anything I tell her, but even she rolls her eyes at all this nonsense now.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Three years ago I was in an identical situation, even down to my daughter being in an international school.

If it's any consolation, most of the kids who come out as gay, bi or trans grow out of it when the next fad comes along. Then you will have to deal with self harm or shoplifting.
She's off to boarding school in Wales next year, I don't think they have shops there yet. :lol: I guess she could get into sheep rustling

I was inclined to right it off as a fad, I guess if you make too much of these things it becomes more ingrained in the mysterious depths of the teenager's mind.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

As long as it isn't sheep worrying.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Or sheep shagging :naughty:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

HunnyBunny wrote:

This is completely out of my experience and I have nothing of value to add...

...So anyway...Kids should have a rebellious phase where they have adopt characteristics, mannerisms or musical tastes that their parents do not enjoy. Perhaps you could sit down and enjoy a John Waters movie with your daughter. There's a clip from 'This Filthy World' (available in it's entirety on YouTube) - where he advises gays against coming out of the 'second closet' to their parents - to tell them that they are bears or into 'blossums' or whatever. He also mentions that Divine had a homophobic reaction on encountering Richard Simmons for the first time.

So there are funny aspects - everything does not have to be 'super serious' all the time.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Colombia University automatons triggered by Tommy Robinson.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

One thing that strikes me about "I wouldn't even rape you" is that, while it's very obviously not a rape threat, it could be construed as implying that the woman concerned is (as it were) "too ugly to rape."

But then that could be construed as implying that beautiful women are worthy of rape, which is kind of threatening, at least to beautiful women - so by sisterhood extension it could be understood, even by an ugly woman, as threatening to all women.

Dunno, just spitballing some devil's advocacy.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

gurugeorge wrote:One thing that strikes me about "I wouldn't even rape you" is that, while it's very obviously not a rape threat, it could be construed as implying that the woman concerned is (as it were) "too ugly to rape."
I think it would more likely be construed by anyone who is aware of Jess Phillips that "You are too obnoxious" to rape. But so what? Facts don't care about feelings.

I have been battling some of these muppets in the comments sections of recent videos, and the one thing that is patently obvious is that they are just as desperate for rape threats as Jess Phillips was. The is a supply and demand problem, an excess of faux outrage and a shortage of rape threats to get outraged about.

The difference is that Jess Phillips wanted rape threats to create a moral panic and to feed her outrage machine to justify censoring the internet. While the SJWs of the supposed skeptical community are desperate for any gotcha which will justify the label of "harasser of women", misogynist, homophobe, racist or Nazi. If they can gain any evidence at all to make any of these labels stick then they can dismiss him outright and don't have to address any of his arguments. In fact they can also dismiss Greg and June as being "rape apologists" and ignore their criticism too.

And this is why Dillahunty and Seth Andrews are utter fucking cowards, because they are playing the same game and I really would like somebody with a bigger platform than me to call them out on it. It is so juvenile and dishonest, thankfully I think most people can see right through it. ...which is why it is nice to keep pointing it out in comments sections of these videos.

John D

Post by John D »

MarcusAu wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:

This is completely out of my experience and I have nothing of value to add...

...So anyway...Kids should have a rebellious phase where they have adopt characteristics, mannerisms or musical tastes that their parents do not enjoy. Perhaps you could sit down and enjoy a John Waters movie with your daughter. There's a clip from 'This Filthy World' (available in it's entirety on YouTube) - where he advises gays against coming out of the 'second closet' to their parents - to tell them that they are bears or into 'blossums' or whatever. He also mentions that Divine had a homophobic reaction on encountering Richard Simmons for the first time.

So there are funny aspects - everything does not have to be 'super serious' all the time.
I think everyone is a little bit bisexual.. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

My oldest daughter has a strong sex drive and was a masterbation machine when she was 13. Now she identifies as pansexual and is married to a man and has a live in female sex buddy. It is an unusual setup, but she is still a fantastic person and a great daughter.

What's a dad to do?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

There are plenty of people that have said nothing as to the desirability of Jess Phillips.

They should speak up now - because if they say nothing it does not rule out the possibility of them being willing to rape her.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

gurugeorge wrote:One thing that strikes me about "I wouldn't even rape you" is that, while it's very obviously not a rape threat, it could be construed as implying that the woman concerned is (as it were) "too ugly to rape."

But then that could be construed as implying that beautiful women are worthy of rape, which is kind of threatening, at least to beautiful women - so by sisterhood extension it could be understood, even by an ugly woman, as threatening to all women.

Dunno, just spitballing some devil's advocacy.
That's exactly the argument that most of Sargon's critics used, and without any context that's not an illegitimate interpretation. However in the context of Sargon's video it's pretty clear he was replying to Phillips' claim that rape threats didn't bother her as much as Facebook and Twitter notifications.

I'm not defending Sargon from the backlash by saying he's poor little innocent victim of a negative interpretation, mind. I think he deliberately sought out outrage and knew he was going to get it. It's just hard for me to imagine that his aim was to threaten women from the context of his video, and I think that some of the outrage is rather disingenuous.

Sargon wanted attention and so chose the most questionable yet not illegal way of getting it. He succeeded. I think that most people who don't like him should figure this out and stop trying to pretend that his antics were actually dangerous to anyone.

The entire thing is very similar to the outrage over the "Piss Christ" or over the Danish cartoons of Mohammed as a half-man half-dog. People sought out fame by triggering outrage and knew that they were testing boundaries, but nobody was really hurt by the attention-seeking behavior, and the response to deliberately offensive things can't be censorship or worse, violence.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

MarcusAu wrote:There are plenty of people that have said nothing as to the desirability of Jess Phillips.

They should speak up now - because if they say nothing it does not rule out the possibility of them being willing to rape her.
If I may borrow from the lexicon of the skepchicks, I wouldn't rape her with a rusty porcupine. And to borrow a phrase from male feminist Steve Shives, I wouldn't piss on her if she were on fire.

And for the record I would like to state that as I'm not a male feminist, I am statistically far less likely to send her dick picks, sexually assault her, molest her children or shoot her in the face.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Lsuoma wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

HunnyBunny wrote:
I don't even have room for a cat at my place :(

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Quote borg...apologies.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Progressive feminist Sweden .. Doing it for the wimminz. Yay

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2017/10/vide ... -no-choice

Sweden is fucked. :doh:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

VickyCaramel wrote:I think it would more likely be construed by anyone who is aware of Jess Phillips that "You are too obnoxious" to rape. But so what? Facts don't care about feelings.

I have been battling some of these muppets in the comments sections of recent videos, and the one thing that is patently obvious is that they are just as desperate for rape threats as Jess Phillips was. The is a supply and demand problem, an excess of faux outrage and a shortage of rape threats to get outraged about.

The difference is that Jess Phillips wanted rape threats to create a moral panic and to feed her outrage machine to justify censoring the internet. While the SJWs of the supposed skeptical community are desperate for any gotcha which will justify the label of "harasser of women", misogynist, homophobe, racist or Nazi. If they can gain any evidence at all to make any of these labels stick then they can dismiss him outright and don't have to address any of his arguments. In fact they can also dismiss Greg and June as being "rape apologists" and ignore their criticism too.

And this is why Dillahunty and Seth Andrews are utter fucking cowards, because they are playing the same game and I really would like somebody with a bigger platform than me to call them out on it. It is so juvenile and dishonest, thankfully I think most people can see right through it. ...which is why it is nice to keep pointing it out in comments sections of these videos.
It's a bit like parody of religion. If you draw Mohammed as a pedophile cow-pig you know you're going to get backlash, but you might do it anyway to prove a point about freedom of speech. Similarly Sargon knew that the "I wouldn't even rape you" comment would rustle jimmies, but did it anyway to prove his point about freedom of speech. The only major difference is that only religious people see blasphemy as a big deal, while a lot of third parties who aren't SocJus fans only read the titles of the articles and don't get the context, and may buy into the "Sargon is a rape apologist" narrative.

How you judge this depends on which approach you have about how to deal with the SocJus message. If you want people to gradually distance from the SocJus out of disgust, like Nugent successfully got people to desert PZ Myers, you'll probably see Sargon's tweet as counterproductive drama which risks alienating some neutral third parties.

If, on the other hand, you think that people are already fed up with the outrage and can see through it, you can support the testing of boundaries as a way to show how censorious and extreme the SJ outrage is.

SM1957

Post by SM1957 »

shoutinghorse wrote:Progressive feminist Sweden .. Doing it for the wimminz. Yay

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2017/10/vide ... -no-choice

Sweden is fucked. :doh:
Don't forget - all marraiges are equal.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

My condolences about your cat, FT. We had to put one of ours down a few years back, and it's not easy.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

jet_lagg wrote:My condolences about your cat, FT. We had to put one of ours down a few years back, and it's not easy.
...but it soon will be green.