In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Brive1987

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Brive1987 »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:After everything he's said and done, I still don't hate Myers - I nothing him. He's a tawdry little nobody of zero consequence and even though it's fun to point and laugh at his antics, ultimately, he's beneath me in every way that matters. Fuck Myers, fuck his degenerate clique of professional victims and God-speed the day he attains self-awareness and explodes in a searing ball of white-hot embarrassment.

Until that glorious day, it's popcorn and lulz.

Oh, and welcome back Scented!

[i.mg]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/01/ee/7f/01ee ... shunds.jpg[/img]
Bhurzum! Nice to see you happy, dancing, and with your tail erect. :D :D :D

[youtube.]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zs3o8H0nd8[/youtube]

I deflounced and dropped by because you guys are the only ones these days who even remembers who PZ, Twatson, et al are. This is the only place that might even get the joke of how that spoiled bratty kid was like a 10 year old version of Twatson.

Some of their names recently came up slightly though on youtube. You guys probably covered it here already, but they gave a half assed try at banning Sargon and some others from some upcoming skeptic conference a few weeks back. There were two videos that had an old name or two flash by in a screencap. You may have nothinged them into obscurity. :D
The sad thing is that PZ already posted this earlier today. The video gave him a woody - I think you have put your finger on it.

:cdc:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

All this PJW hate misses the man's value to society

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

deLurch wrote: Is there any knowledge as to if diet, exercise, socialization, dog (Hell Watson claims having a dog forced her to get dressed, not get high or drunk and leave the fucking house), help alleviate depression?
No one's jumped at this yet, so I'll do it. Routine and structure help, and regular meals and regular times for getting up and going to bed are also helpful. What you eat, not so much, but curiously there is interesting work on fish oils and prisoners that show large behavioural differences. Exercise helpful, and social interaction most of all. Depressed people often feel like the last thing they want to do is to go and deal with others, but either being dragged out by friends or forcing yourself to go and mix with people is very good. It breaks that cycle that quickly reinforces a depressed mood in which you sit around and think about how bad everything is and how bad you feel, which makes you feel even worse so you sit and think about that etc etc.
You mentioned surprise at prozac being used for depression, but it was the first SSRI and is primarily an anti-depressant. It can also be used for panic attacks (not the best SSRI for that as it is activating) and OCD. All SSRI's work roughly the same, some more powerfully than others, some with short half-lives and some long (ie don't miss a dose of Paxil, but you can stop Prozac suddenly as it takes two weeks to clear the bloodstream), and with their own biases as to which side effects they like to cause. All are decent anti-depressants, not as powerful as a couple of older classes but far cleaner in terms of unwanted effects or danger in overdose. Anti-depressants work roughly as well as CBT, and both together is probably best. However, each anti-depressant has only a 30% chance of working on a patient, so it can take two or three meds before you find the one you like best. Augmenting anti-depressants with other drugs (buspirone, lithium, valproate, risperidine, tri-iodothyronine) is a dark art that sometimes helps when the basic drug isn't enough.
It takes forever to get into mental health here, so I became very comfortable at managing these things without referrals.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jimhabegger wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:The kid is not ONLY unfortunate in getting a Watson-like look. She also seems to have her personality!

Actually, she looks a lot like Ketchup to me, or how she might have looked ten years ago. Do you think ...?
Uh oh, I have no idea who you're talking about. Has Lsuoma gone and swapped out words for other words again, or is there actually someone named Ketchup?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Lsuoma wrote:I'm someone who was working towards suicide by self neglect due to Major Depression (Major here is a clinical descriptor, not an indicator of intensity).

The BIGGEST things that helped me continue to administer The Pit for all you ungrateful bastards were, in order of impact:

1. Finding something outside myself to be responsible for (I'm now the VP of the board of a multi-million dollar charity)
2. CBT, helping me to articulate and buy into the idea that I set MY OWN value systems EVERYWHERE. This includes work, where I am a highly respected senior director. However, accepting company objectives needs to be a conscious decision for me, otherwise I am a cork in the stream of work. Don't let this happen to you.
3. Exercise. I'm not too good about this, but when I work out I feel much better.

HOWEVER, our fundamentals are good - Mrs FT and I make over $0.5MM per year, and we own four properties, two in WA, one in the UK, and one in Portugal, and our retirement income is likely to be around $275-300K pa. Everything is MUCH easier when you don't have to worry about shit like that.

On the flip side, when I was a wee 'un, there were times when my sister and I couldn't leave the house at the same time - only one pair of kids' shoes in the family.

No apologies/excuses - just got lucky, I guess...
Multi-million dollar charity? Is it a Soros org. Never mind, I know you can't say.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

The BBC asks all the important questions.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I think diet and exercise critically influence depression recovery for the simple reason that they make you feel a fuckton better on a purely physical level, which makes everything somewhat better. It's just common sense that balanced meals and salads are going to make you feel better than a week of eating prefab pizzas and sugar water. Same deal with the energy boost and general feeling of wellness that regular exercise (preferably aerobic) provides. Oh, and moderation of booze/caffeine.

And stay off the drugs, OK kids? Ok.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

For anyone interested in learning more about treating depression with CBT don't click the images tab if you are doing a search.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Scented Nectar wrote:Bhurzum! Nice to see you happy, dancing, and with your tail erect. :D :D :D
All I'll say is...

(shameless excuse to re-post this cover - Skin has the most amazing voice!)

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

shoutinghorse wrote:
deLurch wrote:Not familiar with British politics, why do people tend to hate Peter Hitchens so much? I get that he is viewed as being conservative. But my understanding is that Democrats in the US would be viewed as conservative in the Britian.

I ask the question after watching this video, but I don't suggest it is worth watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CMLrmEPhnI
It stems from the feral left, Hitchens is a columnist for the Mail on Sunday which to them is the editorial arm of Mien Kampf and "literally Hitler"
He is in some ways the polar opposite of his brother in that he is a practicing Christan with conservative views and as we all know having a religious belief other than Islam makes you a fascist Nazi scum.
He's a horribly condescending twat, who says what he thinks. But then again, I read him when I was a on the path to SJW hood and have revised my opinion quite a lot. He likes to get pissy with atheists but is unable to offer other options. You have to spend lots of time reading his responses to commentators to get a real feel for how he is. However, I think that he genuinely believes what he writes, rather than Katie Hopkins, who writes for the clicks.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Hunt wrote:I think diet and exercise critically influence depression recovery for the simple reason that they make you feel a fuckton better on a purely physical level, which makes everything somewhat better. It's just common sense that balanced meals and salads are going to make you feel better than a week of eating prefab pizzas and sugar water. Same deal with the energy boost and general feeling of wellness that regular exercise (preferably aerobic) provides. Oh, and moderation of booze/caffeine.

And stay off the drugs, OK kids? Ok.
Also, jogging/running behind a hottie in tight spandex can be most invigorating! It's just a shame that it usually ends with mace, police intervention and database entries.

Oh, and remember to tape up your nips...

http://angryjogger.com/wp-content/uploa ... ipples.jpg

Guest_feb1d7eb

Post by Guest_feb1d7eb »

"How do you do your make-up after an acid attack?"
The first tip would be to wait 4-6 hours until the peak effects have worn off, lest you end up looking like Tammy Faye Messner.

CaughtUpLockedOut

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:My psoriasis improves during the summer especially the patches that are exposed to the sunlight. I can't say whether stress makes it worse though it wouldn't surprise me. I tried getting a prescription for a tropical vacation after my doctor suggested it but was told that our shitty Canadian health system wouldn't pay for it. :x
The Caribbeans and the Antilles should be cheap now, and all hotels have an open sun roof.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I feel his pain, but seriously, if my nipples start bleeding I take it as a sign from Jesus Christ to STOP RUNNING.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Brive1987 wrote:Apparently Iowa class battleships would have shit on the Bismarck. Something about their superior radar driven guns and better night fighting capacity.

That said the yanks don't hold the record for range.

The Scharnhorst hit the Glorious at 15 miles.
Warspite hit the Guilio Cesare at 26000 yards, which is only between 200 and 400 yards less than the Scharnhorst's effort, depending on which figures you believe.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Brive1987 wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Some of their names recently came up slightly though on youtube. You guys probably covered it here already, but they gave a half assed try at banning Sargon and some others from some upcoming skeptic conference a few weeks back. There were two videos that had an old name or two flash by in a screencap. You may have nothinged them into obscurity. :D
The sad thing is that PZ already posted this earlier today. The video gave him a woody - I think you have put your finger on it.

I just went to see what the old octopus sucker wrote, but I can't find it on his pharyngula vomit pile. I went back a couple days. Did he post it somewhere else?

I'm pretty sure that I saw the videos a few weeks ago. Maybe he only just found one of them today. I wonder if he knows there are two. I guess he does now, if he's browsing the Pit.

--------------------------------

Hey Peez, if you ARE here reading the Pit, I'm going to do you a solid, as the kids say. I'm going to dig down into my youtube comment history, because I'm sure I commented on one or maybe even both videos. I'll embed them here.

And... here they are!

Now, don't you let anyone tell you you're obscure, PZ, little buddy. You get a whole 25 seconds devoted to you in this first one! You'll have to fast forward past all the big players in the skeptic community, but it's in there somewhere.

And here's the other one. You only get about 7 seconds in this next one, but that's because you're not very well known among the newer skeptic crowd. This guy thinks you're Canadian! You made the thumbnail though, so that should make up for it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

deLurch wrote:Not familiar with British politics, why do people tend to hate Peter Hitchens so much? I get that he is viewed as being conservative. But my understanding is that Democrats in the US would be viewed as conservative in the Britian.

I ask the question after watching this video, but I don't suggest it is worth watching.
It think it has a lot to do with Niles Crane, the fusspot little brother character he played on the TV series, Frasier.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

deLurch wrote:OK. Two votes for "CBT" Clinical Behavioral Therapy as a good solution for depression.

Can either of you (Facisit Tit or Old_ones) give me a rough run down of what that involves?

Is there any knowledge as to if diet, exercise, socialization, dog (Hell Watson claims having a dog forced her to get dressed, not get high or drunk and leave the fucking house), help alleviate depression?

As a side note to our Fascist: providing a platform for people to discuss the issues at hand where many felt like no platform was available has helped immeasurable. Many people from here have dived into gamer gate. Continued to dish out our accumulated knowledge in other forums and battles. And I largely suspect our mere existence has given other infrequent parties the strength to kick out their fully formed "unpopular" opinions on other platforms. Of course you could always pass the buck at any given time. But you have done good at a much needed time.
There are a few different levels to it. The first one involves using writing exercises to contradict cognitive distortions. A cognitive distortion is a fallacious thought that is disturbing to you. For example, if someone is self conscious about their social skills, they might think "I'm so awkward, EVERYONE hates me". That would be a cognitive distortion called an "overgeneralization" - literally everyone doesn't hate this person so it's a false statement. The patient doing one of the exercises might write down that thought, note that it is an overgeneralization and respond by saying "no everyone doesn't hate me, I've made one woman uncomfortable by asking her for coffee in an elevator and the horde thinks I'm a jerk, but my friends still like me". There are other distortions as well such as "mind reading", "fortune telling" (being overly certain about future events), and "catastrophizing" (making mountains out of mole hills). Noting these distortions in one's thinking produces a sense of relief, because it can help a person stop being excessively critical and judgemental toward themselves.

As you might have picked up from my example, there was a legitimate behavioral problem at the root of the cognitive distortion. Elevator guy was feeling bad about getting rejected and ridiculed for asking someone out. This happened because he was lonely and wanted female company, but was looking for it in a way that was considered inappropriate. The first step was for Elevator guy to talk himself out of being self deprecating for making a mistake. Step two is to make some positive behavioral changes with respect to dating and socializing. Elevator guy might be encouraged by a therapist to go on match.com, because it's a pretty sure thing that women on that site want to be hit on. He might also be encouraged to think of places and situations where hitting on a woman might be acceptable, and places where it would almost certainly be frowned upon. He would likely be asked to push himself through a few cycles of asking women out and being rejected, noting each time that being rejected is not the end of the world, and that there are other women out there who might like him. Persevering with this behavioral pattern will help him do better with women and also feel less bad when he is rejected, and learning about dating etiquette will help him avoid being the target of future hit pieces by PZ Myers.

The final level of CBT has to do with reforming your beliefs so that they serve your interests. Elevator guy might get a girlfriend using the behavioral techniques talked about in the last paragraph, but he might still have psychological vulnerabilities resulting from the fact that he believes he needs a girlfriend in order to be happy. He might also believe that he is fundamentally unlikable. These are both beliefs that are untrue, which can be analyzed and overcome. The techniques associated with this level involve introspecting about what you believe about your needs, values and personal attributes and arguing against beliefs that are counterproductive. You do this by writing these beliefs out and then analyzing and arguing against them on paper. So when elevator guy does this he begins to realize that he can be happy as a single man, and he realizes that plenty of people do like him, but that he doesn't need the validation of others in order to like himself. He becomes more confident, and dating stops being an insecurity for him altogether. In fact, he becomes so confident and smooth that he is able to land a date with Lauren Southern, who he meets at a bar one night after a protest in his home town.

This is a simplified telling of the process, of course, and elevator guy might have roots to his depression that have nothing to do with dating. He might also be depressed because he is working a dead end job as a shit shoveller, and because he has ulcerative colitis, which is physically painful and lowers his quality of life. Those are also issues that can be resolved, but the specifics of what would need to happen on each level would change. In the work example, he might begin retraining for a different career, and he might work to change beliefs that conflate his worth as a person with the prestige level of his job. With the colitis, he might look for behaviors that minimize the amount of physical suffering he endures, and he might challenge beliefs that tell him that he can't be happy and suffering a chronic illness at the same time.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Also - it's "cognitive behavioral therapy" not "clinical behavioral therapy".

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

screwtape wrote:
deLurch wrote: Is there any knowledge as to if diet, exercise, socialization, dog (Hell Watson claims having a dog forced her to get dressed, not get high or drunk and leave the fucking house), help alleviate depression?
No one's jumped at this yet, so I'll do it. Routine and structure help, and regular meals and regular times for getting up and going to bed are also helpful. What you eat, not so much, but curiously there is interesting work on fish oils and prisoners that show large behavioural differences. Exercise helpful, and social interaction most of all. Depressed people often feel like the last thing they want to do is to go and deal with others, but either being dragged out by friends or forcing yourself to go and mix with people is very good. It breaks that cycle that quickly reinforces a depressed mood in which you sit around and think about how bad everything is and how bad you feel, which makes you feel even worse so you sit and think about that etc etc.
You mentioned surprise at prozac being used for depression, but it was the first SSRI and is primarily an anti-depressant. It can also be used for panic attacks (not the best SSRI for that as it is activating) and OCD. All SSRI's work roughly the same, some more powerfully than others, some with short half-lives and some long (ie don't miss a dose of Paxil, but you can stop Prozac suddenly as it takes two weeks to clear the bloodstream), and with their own biases as to which side effects they like to cause. All are decent anti-depressants, not as powerful as a couple of older classes but far cleaner in terms of unwanted effects or danger in overdose. Anti-depressants work roughly as well as CBT, and both together is probably best. However, each anti-depressant has only a 30% chance of working on a patient, so it can take two or three meds before you find the one you like best. Augmenting anti-depressants with other drugs (buspirone, lithium, valproate, risperidine, tri-iodothyronine) is a dark art that sometimes helps when the basic drug isn't enough.
It takes forever to get into mental health here, so I became very comfortable at managing these things without referrals.
Yes, a lot of people seem to think that it is an either/or thing, which makes no sense. If you are going to make cognitive and behavioural changes then why not use a drug that can lift your mood and make the whole process easier. As for diet, exercise etc, anything that makes you feel more accomplished, useful or valuable will help. I'm not sure if CBT encompasses practicing mindfulness, but it is a very useful way of avoiding too much identification with and entanglement in negative thoughts and catastrophising tendencies.

Coercing people to socialise might work with most people. When dealing with depression comorbid with socially crippling disorders it might make things worse. Pushing someone into something is probably not exactly the same as exposure therapy under guidance.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Hunt wrote:
I feel his pain, but seriously, if my nipples start bleeding I take it as a sign from Jesus Christ to STOP RUNNING.
Tight athletic wear + repetitive physical activity = lots and lots of friction. Bad times.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:This is where Eggshell Skull comes into play. In the eponymous example, you get into an argument with another person. You shove that persona and they fall to the ground, smacking their head on the pavement. A normal person gets a little bump or a scrape, but the person you shove has a skull as fragile as an eggshell, so they die of a massive brain hemorrhage. You say, how could I know they had an eggshell skull? but it doesn't matter, you're still culpable for their death.
There I thought for a second Eggshell Skull was another one of your superheroes, then it turns out to be legalese.

From the examples on WP it sounds deeply unfair.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:It does for the rattlesnake.
Four hours later, and the headless thing is still slowly shaking it's tail at me.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Shatterface wrote:The point where PZ Myers stopped being an irritating prick and became an utter cunt I would happily watch eaten by rats was his response to Robin Williams' suicide. A lot of commentators saw that as an opportunity to talk about their own experience of depression and he saw it as an opportunity to double down on lecturing them about their white privilege.

I hope he gets a fucking brain tumour and then has his limbs amputated because he catches MRSA in hospital and lives another 40 years shitting himself and drooling down his chin.
Now this is more like it. This is the sort of stuff that gets me AROUSED.

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:[.youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c__xzSfQA5g[/youtube]
On the subject of odd musical instruments.
"Hello, police? This is American Airlines. Someone nicked the rotor of one of our Airbus engines."

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote:Apparently Iowa class battleships would have shit on the Bismarck. Something about their superior radar driven guns and better night fighting capacity.
I'll test that this Xmas in the marzipan simulation.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Anybody notice that, unless it is a photoshop, Heather Heyer smoked Newport cigarettes.

Isn't that cultural appropriation?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

shoutinghorse wrote:

It stems from the feral left, Hitchens is a columnist for the Mail on Sunday which to them is the editorial arm of Mien Kampf and "literally Hitler"
He is in some ways the polar opposite of his brother in that he is a practicing Christan with conservative views and as we all know having a religious belief other than Islam makes you a fascist Nazi scum.
He's pretty much the opposite of Christopher Hitchens so take what you liked about Chris and reverse it. It's nothing at all to do with the 'feral left', he'd still be a cunt if he were writing for the socialist worker.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

InfraRedBucket wrote:By the way this isnt the official No 10 cat Larry but still worth a look :)
Wonder how many of Washington's numerous "pet" dogs were Bloodhounds used to track down runaway slaves ???

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Shatterface wrote:The point where PZ Myers stopped being an irritating prick and became an utter cunt I would happily watch eaten by rats was his response to Robin Williams' suicide. A lot of commentators saw that as an opportunity to talk about their own experience of depression and he saw it as an opportunity to double down on lecturing them about their white privilege.

I hope he gets a fucking brain tumour and then has his limbs amputated because he catches MRSA in hospital and lives another 40 years shitting himself and drooling down his chin.
Now this is more like it. This is the sort of stuff that gets me AROUSED.
There are talented moralists; they exist, but PZ isn't one of them. His thinking on moral issues is muddled at best. And so it happened that he attempted to make a moral point about privilege at Robin Williams's expense at the moment of his tragic death. He was extraordinarily offensive, yet didn't realize that the trivial point he tried to make didn't even begin to excuse it. Then he doubled down and ignored his mistake. Really, if he's going to be a public idiot (and he is), he should avoid topics like that. Stick to zebra fish.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Anybody notice that, unless it is a photoshop, Heather Heyer smoked Newport cigarettes.

Isn't that cultural appropriation?
Or drinking "fodies"

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

deLurch wrote:OK. Two votes for "CBT" Clinical Behavioral Therapy as a good solution for depression.

Can either of you (Facisit Tit or Old_ones) give me a rough run down of what that involves?

Is there any knowledge as to if diet, exercise, socialization, dog (Hell Watson claims having a dog forced her to get dressed, not get high or drunk and leave the fucking house), help alleviate depression?
Cognitive, not clinical: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive ... al_therapy

All those other things help too.
As a side note to our Fascist: providing a platform for people to discuss the issues at hand where many felt like no platform was available has helped immeasurable. Many people from here have dived into gamer gate. Continued to dish out our accumulated knowledge in other forums and battles. And I largely suspect our mere existence has given other infrequent parties the strength to kick out their fully formed "unpopular" opinions on other platforms. Of course you could always pass the buck at any given time. But you have done good at a much needed time.
Yer welcome! I get a lot of fun here too.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Hmm,

If you are going to use wikipedia as a source - CBT gets multiple definitions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_and_ball_torture

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

MarcusAu wrote:Hmm,

LOL. We were talking about mental illness not Mathew Baxter's sex life.

feathers

Post by feathers »

I'm not sure a couple of bullets in that storm will make much of a difference over all the larger rubble it carries. I suggest staying indoors and throwing darts.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Old_ones wrote:

They are not unrelated concepts.

feathers

Post by feathers »

InfraRedBucket wrote:By the way this isnt the official No 10 cat Larry but still worth a look :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJV19kwWAAAZ4FE.jpg
I love me some president with alligators. Pictures of Bokassa.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Scented Nectar wrote:I deflounced and dropped by because you guys are the only ones these days who even remembers who PZ, Twatson, et al are. This is the only place that might even get the joke of how that spoiled bratty kid was like a 10 year old version of Twatson.
I think the Kiwifarms also happily 'sperge' (their favourite jargon) on about those 'lolcows' (bis). But the Pit is still your prime FTB watch.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Scented Nectar wrote:Uh oh, I have no idea who you're talking about. Has Lsuoma gone and swapped out words for other words again, or is there actually someone named Ketchup?
Perhaps he meant Las Ketchup?

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

InfraRedBucket wrote: I'm not sure drug therapy worked much in my case. No one size fits all and it can take time to find what works, if any
for individuals. And different drugs even in the same family of drugs, have different effects on individuals.
First I had a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) called Moclobemide. (Wikipedia suggests it's not available in the US). I kept waiting for my mood to improve and it to kick in and it didnt feel like there was any noticeable effect after some time, even though it's hard to tell and depression can vary so mood can spontaneously rise and fall.
So then I was prescribed Setraline (Zoloft in the US as Lsuoma mentioned) branded (ironically for me) as Lustral in the Uk.
I gradually went off that as it had an unfortunate side effect for me. Anorgasmia. Apparently the part of the brain it affects is quite close
to the part that controls orgasms and it can in some people, inhibit that activity to the extent that you can't finish what you start.
Due to this effect, I did read that it was possibly being used to treat premature ejaculation.
Interesting. I went through a fairly serious bout of depression in my 20s, and was put on Seroxat for a while. It did actually help a bit - got me motivated again, that sort of stuff. But I did become utterly impotent while on the course - and I found it curiously liberating. From what, exactly, I do not know; but there was a distinct feeling of being free of something rather oppressive. If nothing else, it's a pretty good recommendation for an antidepressant when it makes you feel kind of pleased that you can't get your dick up.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I started taking mirtazapine for depression but it has actually been more effective at controlling my OCD.

Fewer side effects than SSRIs: no twitching, no sexual disfunction, etc.

It makes me eat more but I was eating too little anyway.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Sunder wrote:
Hunt wrote:
Tight athletic wear + repetitive physical activity = lots and lots of friction. Bad times.
Indeed.

No stranger to rigorous physical exercise, I have a catalogue of horrible tales, scars and tips on the subject. For example...

If you're going to embark upon an 8 mile CFT (combat fitness test - a "loaded" run with your house on your back), it's not clever to stay out drinking until two hours before the start of the test. Don't listen to the old-sweats who insist that it's a test of manhood etc. Also, if you do stay out drinking until two hours before the test starts, make sure you pack some wet wipes (or comfy-bum) in your CEFO because German beer + pub food + CFT at "ramming speed" = bowel explosion round about the half-way mark.

I lost a good sock on that day.

GBNF.

Bleeding nips?

Luxury!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Old_ones wrote:

:lol: That was a blast from the past!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

feathers wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:I deflounced and dropped by because you guys are the only ones these days who even remembers who PZ, Twatson, et al are. This is the only place that might even get the joke of how that spoiled bratty kid was like a 10 year old version of Twatson.
I think the Kiwifarms also happily 'sperge' (their favourite jargon) on about those 'lolcows' (bis). But the Pit is still your prime FTB watch.
It is indeed! :)

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Shatterface wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:

He's pretty much the opposite of Christopher Hitchens so take what you liked about Chris and reverse it. It's nothing at all to do with the 'feral left', he'd still be a cunt if he were writing for the socialist worker.
What it boils down to is quite simple: the wrong Hitchens died.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

More proof, if any were needed, that Blair is a CAUC (complete and utter cunt).

After presiding over the opening of immigration floodgates into the UK, the cunt decides that he doesn't immigration quite so much any more.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41216679

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

PewDiePie weighing in on JLaw's recent comment re. Mother Nature's raging at Americans for not voting Hillary. Quite amusing:-

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Kirbmarc wrote:It's not enough to get a kernel of truth right to be reliably right. If it were, the SJWs would be reliably right about many things (like privilege, for example). HOW you explain and expose the kernel of truth and WHICH inferences you make from it are probably even more important than being incidentally right.

For example for SJWs the problem isn't the basic idea of privilege ("some people have it easier than others due to factors that aren't under their control"). There definitely is more than a kernel of truth to the idea that life isn't on the same difficulty mode for everyone. Also there's a kernel of truth with the idea that it's harder (not impossible, but not easy) for privileged people to understand what it's like not to have their privilege.

The problem with the SocJus is the collective attribution of privilege to entire social groups ("since there are less poor, disenfranchised white people who are in legal trouble than there are poor, disenfranchised black people in legal trouble therefore ALL white people are privileged when compared to ALL black people!"), the idea that privileged people can NEVER EVER TRULY understand and "grok" what it's like not to be privileged, so they need to just shut and listen, the Oppression Olympics of who's the least privileged, and their byzantine methods to assess who's privileged and who's not (Brianna Wu is pretty fucking privileged, for example, but in SJW land she's a poor little victim).

That's all woo, and dangerous woo, even if privilege is a real thing. Similarly the RedPillers are woomeisters even if some of their advice is partially true.
Yeah, it's another example of the Motte & Bailey bait & switch tactic - you redefine a commonly agreed-upon bad thing "x" in terms of your internal ideological spaghetti, so that it has a broad catchment area to snare large numbers of people with; then when challenged you retreat to the older, defensible definition of "x" that everyone agrees is bad, with the imputation that if you're challenging their ideology you must be for the "x" that everyone agrees is bad.

This rhetorical trick of persuasive redefinition is almost the whole of the Left's schtick, and has been for more than a hundred years. In its modern form it's as old as Marx's use of "exploitation" - everyone agrees there's such a thing as exploitation and agrees it's bad, but Marx redefined it as something one is necessarily guilty of if one is a member of the capitalist class, as opposed to something falsifiable that one can prove oneself to be not guilty of, even if one is a member of the capitalist class.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

For those of us that can't get enough of James Damore, yesterday he did two hours talking to honey badger Karen Straughan / girlwriteswhat

and a few days ago did two hours plus with with Joe Rogan

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Fucker still writhes if you touch it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

gurugeorge wrote: *snip*

This rhetorical trick of persuasive redefinition is almost the whole of the Left's schtick, and has been for more than a hundred years. In its modern form it's as old as Marx's use of "exploitation" - everyone agrees there's such a thing as exploitation and agrees it's bad, but Marx redefined it as something one is necessarily guilty of if one is a member of the capitalist class, as opposed to something falsifiable that one can prove oneself to be not guilty of, even if one is a member of the capitalist class.
Capitalism is the exploitation of the People by the People.

Communism is the exact opposite.

:think:

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Fucker still writhes if you touch it.
How did it get in your bathtub? Pissed off girlfriend?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Some of their names recently came up slightly though on youtube. You guys probably covered it here already, but they gave a half assed try at banning Sargon and some others from some upcoming skeptic conference a few weeks back. There were two videos that had an old name or two flash by in a screencap. You may have nothinged them into obscurity. :D

I just went to see what the old octopus sucker wrote, but I can't find it on his pharyngula vomit pile. I went back a couple days. Did he post it somewhere else?

I'm pretty sure that I saw the videos a few weeks ago. Maybe he only just found one of them today. I wonder if he knows there are two. I guess he does now, if he's browsing the Pit.

--------------------------------

Hey Peez, if you ARE here reading the Pit, I'm going to do you a solid, as the kids say. I'm going to dig down into my youtube comment history, because I'm sure I commented on one or maybe even both videos. I'll embed them here.

And... here they are!

Now, don't you let anyone tell you you're obscure, PZ, little buddy. You get a whole 25 seconds devoted to you in this first one! You'll have to fast forward past all the big players in the skeptic community, but it's in there somewhere.

And here's the other one. You only get about 7 seconds in this next one, but that's because you're not very well known among the newer skeptic crowd. This guy thinks you're Canadian! You made the thumbnail though, so that should make up for it.

PZ's new Wonder Woman.

https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula ... /#comments
That young lady who impudently scorned the InfoWars hack has done us a service. She’s shown us how to properly treat liars and nutjobs: cuss ’em out, flip ’em off, and walk away. They don’t deserve more.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Kirbmarc wrote:
deLurch wrote:I think there is a significant difference between people just feeling down & out for a little bit, and people who are so continuously and deeply depressed that they cannot function.

The former probably just boils down to learning & following some basic life skills instead of popping pills, and the later requires substantive psychological help.
That's not what PJW argued, though.
As someone who has had clinical depression and has a son who has jut come through a sadly familiar episode I can confirm there is a huge difference between being depressed and feeling down. Depression takes years to get over and if you have had it it is always a niggling doubt at the back of your mind and a worry you are going back there whenever there is a major set back. I wouldn't advise anyone who has depression except to tell them to seek professional help as no one is the same as anyone else. What worked for me was people who listened and a year out at a Monastery of all places (I was still religious here). I may not be religious now but I owe them a huge debt. Finally meeting the most wonderful woman who was also prepared to marry me (28 yrs last August). For my son it's been professional counselling over a number of years and a job where he has realised his self worth. It's really is different for everyone.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Fucker still writhes if you touch it.
How did it get in your bathtub? Pissed off girlfriend?
I hear they're good for unclogging your drain.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Having read some of the other tales on CD since the first post I can see where people are coming from. For me the biggest issue was getting over the feeling of worthlessness and the routine of the Monastery together with he non-judgemental approach of the Monks and other people I was with together with the service element of living in a Monastery were a huge step forward to putting myself back together. Wont work for everyone but did for me at the time. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

An Atheist

Post by An Atheist »

Hi everyone! I'd like to inform you of the publication of my satirical epic "Elevatorgate", which is free for download on my website: https://anatheist.jimdo.com/

Sincerely yours,
An Atheist.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:

That said the yanks don't hold the record for range.

The Scharnhorst hit the Glorious at 15 miles.
Warspite hit the Guilio Cesare at 26000 yards, which is only between 200 and 400 yards less than the Scharnhorst's effort, depending on which figures you believe.
That one isn't official on account of the acoustically triggered self-scuttling feature standard on all Italian ships of the time.