In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
AndrewV69

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by AndrewV69 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:This is bound to get ugly:

Pastor Rick Joyner: Racism Was Nearly Defeated, But Then Obama Got Elected

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... t-elected/

The regressive-leftist retards are already out in force.
I skimmed it and did not bother watching the video or the comments. That said,- it seemed to me at the time that the media/Holden/Obama were stirring the pot. Making up stuff. Pushing the message that Blacks are being persecuted.

The media made up a whole bunch of fabrications out of whole cloth. Remember Zimmerman/Martin? The Ferguson unrest? Yet when they really had a case when Eric Garner was choked to death by the police ... nothing.

As far as I am concerned the Democrats are to blame for much of the recent racial strife in the USA. Pretty clear that it is for political purposes.

Vote Democrat because you are oppressed by White supremacists.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:
I think the results are fine, but as you said Blair looked good beforehand.

I guess you have to be pretty brave/motivated to get such potentially destructive surgery.
Brave or completely nuts.

These things are graded on a spectrum.

http://www.soulprogress.com/Images/Arti ... tWoman.jpg
Christ in a sidecar:
Wildenstein has had extensive cosmetic surgeries to her face[23] creating a "very unnatural appearance."[24] The surgeries intended to elicit a more catlike look, according to her ex-husband.[25][26] Wildenstein is rumoured to have spent $4 million on plastic surgery,[27] apparently done to please her ex-husband, who loved big cats.[28][29] Despite her unusual appearance, Wildenstein is reported to be "ecstatic with her work. She feels beautiful. She looks in the mirror and she loves what she sees. She got exactly what she wanted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jocelyn_Wildenstein

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

It appears that Antifa has decided to take on 4Chan. This'll end well.

squawker org/culture-wars/antifa-strikes-back-against-4chan/

:popcorn:
Apologies in advance to the FT, hope posting this tweet and quoting from where it goes is not considered doxing.
... than 4chan struck back through another 'friendly' message board, 8chan, commonly known as the GamerGate board. It's reported:
From the organizers of BAMN to the organizers of Refuse Fascism, to just your typical Antifa member has allegedly been doxxed. 8chan has released the first and last names of all of them and promises to be releasing the personal info of all of them.

We checked out some of these and a lot of the ones we can confirm actually check out to be true. We couldn’t go through them all of course because there are thousands and thousands of names. Here is the 8chan link with the names.

Just in case for some reason this link gets taken down, we have had the pleasure of saving all of these for re-release if such a thing happens. The OP of the post also promises to post additional personal info of the members. And if you're an Antifa member checking out this site, maybe see if your name is there. They are all in alphabetical order by last name.

Some of them who attended Charlottesville and committed violence have also been doxxed with pictures and personal info including Facebook page, home address as well as some other information.
There's more at the link.

It's going to be a bit difficult to be a strong, motivated 'warrior' against the right wing, when your name, address and other identifying information are known beforehand to every law enforcement organization involved (not to mention those on the other side). Methinks Antifa has just done more damage to itself than it knows how to handle.

It couldn't happen to nicer people, of course.
Professors, teachers, two lawyers, at least one of whom is listed is a public defender.

just so ya know, the link to 8ch contains a lot of anti-semitism

John D

Post by John D »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:This is bound to get ugly:

Pastor Rick Joyner: Racism Was Nearly Defeated, But Then Obama Got Elected

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... t-elected/

The regressive-leftist retards are already out in force.
I skimmed it and did not bother watching the video or the comments. That said,- it seemed to me at the time that the media/Holden/Obama were stirring the pot. Making up stuff. Pushing the message that Blacks are being persecuted.

The media made up a whole bunch of fabrications out of whole cloth. Remember Zimmerman/Martin? The Ferguson unrest? Yet when they really had a case when Eric Garner was choked to death by the police ... nothing.

As far as I am concerned the Democrats are to blame for much of the recent racial strife in the USA. Pretty clear that it is for political purposes.

Vote Democrat because you are oppressed by White supremacists.
Racial strife in America in 2017.... Thanks Obama!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

PZ Myers is listed as a member of Refuse Fascism, although I think he had already admitted that. Bet he actually hasn't done anything other than frantically tap away behind his keyboard, tho.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

MarcusAu wrote:
paddybrown wrote:And welcome back Pitchguest, fingers crossed for you da.
I haven't thought of that in a dog's age

I enjoyed it at the time - but the music in the trailer is a bit much...perhaps I'll watch it again.
I've never seen the movie, but I saw the play on Broadway back in 1978 and thought it was awful. Not even the formidable talents of Brian Murray and Bernard Hughes were sufficient to make "Da" in any way sympathetic.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

@John D.
OK. Why do you blame Obama for the racial strife in the US? Personally I think white americans might have had unrealistic expectations that electing a black president might somehow heal and smooth over racial divides. But of course that did not happen.

Obama got elected in part because he didn't play the race card. Or at least he didn't do it any more than any other standard politician. Hillary played the woman card hard and she lost because of that.

So how is any of this Obama's fault? Other that failing to meet amazingly high expectations?

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

KiwiInOz wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:
https://i.imgflip.com/19momn.jpg
So female pigs voted for Hillary ???

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

Googled Pepe, and couldn't find any frogs:
images.jpg
(9.43 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

John D

Post by John D »

deLurch wrote:@John D.
OK. Why do you blame Obama for the racial strife in the US? Personally I think white americans might have had unrealistic expectations that electing a black president might somehow heal and smooth over racial divides. But of course that did not happen.

Obama got elected in part because he didn't play the race card. Or at least he didn't do it any more than any other standard politician. Hillary played the woman card hard and she lost because of that.

So how is any of this Obama's fault? Other that failing to meet amazingly high expectations?
Obama played the race card in a most insidious way. When the Ferguson incident happened he did not come out with a statement indicating that American justice was correct. He came out with a statement that American justice must be listened to, but was not generally correct. He basically said that we should listen to American justice because it was our system, but that the system was corrupt and wrong. He said that he would be worried if he had a son because the cops would kill him. He said that we have much work to do to break down systemic racism.

The entire SJW narrative... that we have to solve the problem of systemic racism before we can move on... was embraced by Obama. He did not recommend specific action to correct police departments. Instead, he used fake statistics to claim racial profiling was rampant. He did nothing to fix the way cops ticket the poor to steal their money or how the cops confiscate property without arrest. Instead, he used arrest statistics to claim blacks are targeted.... totally ignoring the fact the blacks are indeed twice as likely to do crime in America.

Alot of this shit is on him.

And his Middle East policy was shit. And his immigration policy was shit. And his health care policy was shit. And his economic policy was shit. I am embarrassed that I voted for him twice.

I voted for the guy that gave the best speech.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote: Googled Pepe, and couldn't find any frogs:
images.jpg
You need to watch the cartoon, he is clearly a frog.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

BoxNDox wrote:
I've never seen the movie, but I saw the play on Broadway back in 1978 and thought it was awful. Not even the formidable talents of Brian Murray and Bernard Hughes were sufficient to make "Da" in any way sympathetic.
Well the movie also has William Hickey. So you can pass the time imagining him jerking off into woman's handbags to keep yourself entertained.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ is now openly calling for revolution - a march on Washington and deposing of elected leader.

He would join in but, well, term just started.
Linky? But sounds like PZ.

In unrelated news from your neck of the woods: https://twitter.com/StaunchA/status/900244682952790016

What's the scoop there? Natives getting restless? Drums along the Mohawk? ;-)

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

jet_lagg wrote:
Steersman wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:I don't draw any meaningful distinction between people who say "this text was directly inspired by God and can be treated as his literal word" and those who say "this text is the literal transcript of an angel who was totally speaking for God." If you do, at least we've figured out the heart of the disagreement.
No, the "heart of the disagreement" seems to be that you're unwilling or unable to differentiate between "some" and "all". SOME text in the Bible is putatively the transcription of Jehovah's words - "I AM That I AM" - but rather large swathes are supposedly inspired, to a greater or lesser extent, by Jehovah or are mere commentary on a broad spectrum of topics.

Rather profound difference with far reaching consequences which you apparently want to sweep under the carpet.
You're splitting and absurd number of hairs in order to attempt a point.
Hardly. You might take a look at that Slate article by Shadi Hamid – author of some four books on Islam including Islamic Exceptionalism: How the Struggle Over Islam Is Reshaping the World, and “Brookings Institution scholar”, although some might argue, on some evidence, that he’s a deluded islamopologist too – who would seem to rather strenuously disagree. You might note this in particular from the article:
It’s the same thing with Islam, and that leads to the other factor that I talk about in the book in regards to exceptionalism: Muslims don’t just believe that the Quran is the word of God; they believe it is God’s actual speech. That might sound like a semantic difference, but I think it’s actually really important.
Maybe he’s not fully versed on the arcana of Christianity, but I’d say he was sufficiently so to note that profound difference.
jet_lagg wrote:The people who say "this text was directly inspired by God and can be treated as his literal word" are saying that about ALL of the bible, not bits and pieces. That the Christians do some sort of dramatically different exegesis than the Muslims is your particular take, not supported by the text of the survey question.
I would say that’s rather moot, or at least not particularly well supported. That, as you noted, 2 Timothy (3:16) asserts that “All scripture is given by inspiration of God” seems a rather long distance from asserting or justifying the claim that the entire text of the Bible is “his literal word”. But for instance, see this passage in the Wikipedia article on the topic of Biblical literalism:
Steve Falkenberg, professor of religious psychology at Eastern Kentucky University, observes:

I've never met anyone who actually believes the Bible is literally true. I know a bunch of people who say they believe the Bible is literally true but nobody is actually a literalist. Taken literally, the Bible says the earth is flat, it has pillars, and will not be moved (Ps 93:1, Ps 96:10, 1 Sam 2:8, Job 9:6). It says that great sea monsters are set to guard the edge of the sea (Job 41, Ps 104:26).
And, as I said before, I think the Pew Forum’s questions weren’t particularly cognizant of those aspects.
jet_lagg wrote:It's a bit of charity you're only willing to extend to Christians, which a recurring theme of yours and part of the reason you get accused of bigotry so often IMO.
The Christians that I’ve castigated and challenged on Twitter for dogmatic literalism probably wouldn’t agree with you.
jet_lagg wrote:Maybe go and talk to an evangelical. Ask them if they're free to treat a particular passage less seriously because it wasn't God directly speaking.
I’ll readily concede that there is no shortage of fundamentalist Christians who are, as I noted, rather dogmatic in their literalism. And who one might argue are as equally problematic as “truck of peace” Muslims – a rather large percentage of them, methinks.

However, “inspired by god” still looks like a rather different kettle of fish from “God’s actual speech”. You might note Kirbmarc’s earlier comment on the topic – who, I’m pleased to note, seems to be finally seeing the light ;-)
Kirbmarc wrote:I have to admit that I'm starting to think that Steersman has a point here (maybe just because he actually bothered to read the sources this time :lol: ). Not that Christianity is intrinsically better than islam, but that it had the seeds of a potential reformation due to its ambiguities about secular authorities and divine inspiration. Not that literalism didn't or doesn't exist in Christianity, but there's marginally more wiggle room for interpretation.

In a way islam apologists are right and islam is a more refined form of Christianity (since Christianity predates islam by centuries it makes sense) with less ambiguities, less room for doubt, less ability to support change if pushed in the right direction. This makes it worse, like a mutation for a strain of TBC that makes it resistant to anti-biotics. Christianity seems to be more vulnerable to the immune system of secularization, while islam may have a protective shell that needs to be broken.
That the Bible is only, at best, “inspired by God” seems to give far more “wiggle room”, not just "marginally more", than Islam’s straitjacket of “God’s actual speech”.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

Lsuoma wrote:Canadian town refuses to remove swastikas from park.

Any bets as to how long this will last?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41028895
In Valby, Copenhagen, Denmark at the Historical sites of the Carlsberg brewing company, you can't walk 10 meters without seeing a huge swastika. Even on the nearby church (doanted by Carlsberg) there are giant reliefs of swastikas everywhere. It's always fun to show to tourists. The Swastika was the original trademark of Carlsberg until some guys in Münich started using it in their marketing of race-realism. So they change it to a Hops-leaf in the 30's.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

paddybrown wrote:This popped up in my Arsebook feed:

Submissions Open for “We Told You”, a Joss Whedon Zine (archive.is link)
Bleating Heart Press is making a zine! We Told You is a 50-page zine about the problematic work and activism of writer, director and producer, Joss Whedon.

When Whedon’s ex-wife Kai Cole wrote about the breakdown of their marriage, dozens of think pieces were published examining his most recent works and the too common trend of famous male feminists revealing themselves as manipulative and insincere. Long running fansite Whedonesque shuttered and hundreds of fans saw their affection for his work die. For many, Cole’s letter came as a shock. But not for all of us.
We Told You will look at the decades of intersectional feminist critique, and just plain disbelieving anger, that has existed alongside the narrative of Joss Whedon, perfect male feminist. Essays will include close examinations of particular works and recurring trends (waifish, emotionally vulnerable heroines; misogynistic nerds as author avatars; the racist underpinnings of Firefly), as well as his legacy as a producer and celebrity male feminist.

We Told You will include original and reprinted essays, comics and illustrations by Claire Napier (Women Write About Comics), Angel Cruz (The Learned Fangirl), Veronique Emma Houxbois (Comicosity), C.P. Hoffman (BookRiot) and more.

Pitches

We are accepting pitches for essays, comics and original illustration for We Told You So. Essays should be about 1500 words long. Comics and illustration should be in black and white and no more than two pages.

We are aiming for a quick turnaround with this zine, so previously published pieces will be accepted. However, you should be willing to work with Megan Purdy, the zine editor, to update the piece for republication.

To pitch original essays, comics and illustrations you should should include a one sentence summary of of your idea, bullet points of your argument in rough, and a link to your portfolio or past work.

The zine will be sold digitally on Gumroad after our Kickstarter concludes. A print run will be built into the Kickstarter as a stretch goal. All contributors will be paid, starting at $30/page for essays and $50/page for art and comics. Raises for contributors will be our first and most important Kickstarter stretch goal.

Submit a pitch by sending an email to publishing@wwacomics.com with the subject line Pitch: We Told You.
Or more succinctly, I Saw Goody Whedon With the Devil. Feminism is a cult.
You fucking shitbags, we need to get in on this. Lots of us can write. C'mon motherfuckers let's get creative, this could be the greatest pit lulz yet.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think that might be getting a bit close to hunting for the shut door after the witch has bolted and then kicking while they are down.

Which is simply not cricket.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Where's your sense of kek

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

'kek' is one of those new three letter words - that I'm not particularly interested in becoming familiar with.

Like 'dox'

I suspect there will be some shit hitting various fans at some point in relating to this.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:We can always count on Everyday Feminism to deliver the best and most insane news in the SocJus:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH77bbKVwAA1DeW.jpg:large

Segregation based on degrees of skin color. Richard Spencer would approve.
You can hear Hendrik Verwoerd laughing out from beyond the grave.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Suet Cardigan wrote:It appears that Antifa has decided to take on 4Chan. This'll end well.

https://squawker.org/culture-wars/antif ... nst-4chan/

:popcorn:
Filthy casuals vs. hardcore gamers. :lol:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Steersman wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:PZ is now openly calling for revolution - a march on Washington and deposing of elected leader.

He would join in but, well, term just started.
Linky? But sounds like PZ.

In unrelated news from your neck of the woods:
[tw.eet]https://twitter.com/StaunchA/status/900244682952790016[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/StaunchA/status/900244682952790016

What's the scoop there? Natives getting restless? Drums along the Mohawk? ;-)
With 4 senate seats, One Nation has plenty of support in the electorate.

PZ's call to arms:
http://archive.is/CzDb3

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

CommanderTuvok wrote:PZ Myers is listed as a member of Refuse Fascism, although I think he had already admitted that. Bet he actually hasn't done anything other than frantically tap away behind his keyboard, tho.
Remember, he mumbled into his beard at some NY protest forum.

Despite keeping his Fridays open, he does not seem to have been called back to the colours.

John D

Post by John D »

University of Missouri enrollment down. Uni is suffering from how they handled protests. Bottom line - the buying public has spoken and administrators are in the hot seat.
It was a moment of triumph for the protesting students. But it has been a disaster for the university.

Freshman enrollment at the Columbia campus, the system’s flagship, has fallen by more than 35 percent in the two years since.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/us/u ... llout.html

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

CommanderTuvok wrote:PZ Myers is listed as a member of Refuse Fascism, although I think he had already admitted that. Bet he actually hasn't done anything other than frantically tfap away behind his keyboard, tho.
FTFY. TOO easy...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote: Googled Pepe, and couldn't find any frogs:
images.jpg
And what nationality do you think he is, then?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gah! :nin: :nin:

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

[quote='Steersman"]That the Bible is only, at best, “inspired by God” seems to give far more “wiggle room”, not just "marginally more", than Islam’s straitjacket of “God’s actual speech”.[/quote]

Repeating something over and over again doesn't make it true. Per your own source Christians consider the bible God's "literal word" in comparable numbers to Muslims with the Quran. Per the verse I quoted to you, it's all valid for doctrine, as if it came directly from God's own mouth. And all this lines up perfectly well with what you'll hear if you talk to any evangelical Christian.

It's also true that pretty much all Christians give themselves wiggle room. So fucking what? Do you honestly believe Muslims don't? "Of course Mohammed didn't literally fly to heaven on a winged horse. It was a spiritual journey." "Of course there wasn't a literal flood that wiped out the species. It's a metaphor." It's not different kettles of fish. It's different flavors of the same lunacy.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

FUCK

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

rayshul wrote:

You fucking shitbags, we need to get in on this. Lots of us can write. C'mon motherfuckers let's get creative, this could be the greatest pit lulz yet.
I'm tempted:
Whedon cheated on his wife with a famous feminist I know.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

jet_lagg wrote:Do you honestly believe Muslims don't? "Of course Mohammed didn't literally fly to heaven on a winged horse. It was a spiritual journey."
But they can't say that openly in most Muslim countries. There was a brief period when they could, but that's far in the past now (although it could return if reformers like Majid Nawaz are successful).

There is a difference between "literal word of Allah via an angel" and "prophecy or speech inspired by God." Especially if the former is the majority interpretation of one religion, and the latter the majority interpretation of another religion. Most Christians aren't the literalist type of evangelical, whereas most Muslims have to (publicly) at least profess to be that type of Muslim.

It seems to me that you're trying too hard to make all religions morally equivalent. They're not, they're on scales of various kinds (pro-science to anti-science, pro-reason to anti-reason, vicious to kind, barbaric to civilized).

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote:It's also true that pretty much all Christians give themselves wiggle room. So fucking what? Do you honestly believe Muslims don't? "Of course Mohammed didn't literally fly to heaven on a winged horse. It was a spiritual journey." "Of course there wasn't a literal flood that wiped out the species. It's a metaphor." It's not different kettles of fish. It's different flavors of the same lunacy.
To a degree, yes, but the biggest question with religion isn't about the supernatural phenomena, it's about morality and the political and legal enforcement of morality. The supernatural phenomena can be hand-waved, rationalized or assumed to be metaphorical (although post-modern attacks on science from philosophers like Feyerabend or Kuhn are one of the reasons why pseudo-science which defends the letter of the books, like creationism, is becoming popular among people who think of themselves as intellectuals).

However people who believe in a winged horse or in the dead coming back to life aren't socially dangerous, as long as their ideas are kept out of public school curricula (which isn't easy due to political pressure, but can be done). That's not the case for someone who believes in cutting off the hands of thieves, stoning adulterers, killing unbelievers, practicing genital mutilation, or forcing people to submit to religious rule (or, for Christians, someone who believes in forcing LGBT into "reparation therapy", or that god will take care of global warming and it's blaspheme for humans to intervene, or in prohibiting abortion or divorce, etc.) and wants to use political and legal force to enforce those beliefs.

The difference between islam and christianity comes down to the theoretical possibility of a difference between religious and secular authority, or, if there's enough push in the right direction, between secular and religious laws (which can, again with a lot of pressure, turned into a difference between secular laws and private religious morals, creating the separation of church and state, an essential element of liberal democracy).

It's not that christianity it's better than islam, it's that it's weaker, more vulnerable to secularization, thanks to a much clearer distinction between the sacred and the profane. What islam lacks is this separation, even on a theoretical level. A Christian secular leader could fight with the Pope and decide to break away with his own church (it happened with Anglicanism, and to a certain degree with those nobles who supported Reformation).

In islam there are no popes, and the caliphs are both the supreme civilian and religious authority (the difference between Sunni and Shia are about which lines of successors of Mohammed is to be considered the legitimate one, Abu Bakr, Mohammed's father in law, or Ali, Mohammed's cousin).

Like Popes are the Vicars of Christ, Caliphs are the Vicars of Mohammed, but they're also the rules of all muslims and all muslim lands (Popes became powerful alongside Emperors and Kings and other secular authorities). What happened in islam was that while the Shia diverged from the Caliphate into their own system (where the supreme religious authorities are distinct from civil authorities but superior to them) in the Sunni world several dynasties of Caliphs have ruled until relatively recent times (the Ottoman Caliphate ended in 1924 when Ataturk abolished it).

Sunni, in general, see the office of caliph as an elective one (although the procedures for the election, and who is entitled to vote, when and how vary) while the Shia favor a bloodline.

Anyway the situation today, for pious muslims, is one of uncertainty, of an interregnum between caliphates. Civil authorities are seen in a bad light, not only because of the widespread corruption and abuses from most secular leaders in the muslim world, but also because they're not the caliph. Many long for a return of the caliphate, of a single political and religious which encompasses the entirety of islam. (Of course in practice this is laughably unlikely and it's not what anyone with an ounce of pragmatism wants, but it's good propaganda for groups like the Muslim Brotherhood, who wish to re-establish the Caliphate, at least theoretically).

That's how Al-Baghadi can style himself as the new Caliph, as the supreme religious and political authority, and get muslim acolytes from all over the world. The pious Sunni muslims who reject Al-Baghadi don't do it because they think that the office of caliph shouldn't exist, but because they don't believe he's a legitimate Caliph (basically there hasn't been any election and they wouldn't vote for him).

The presence of the caliphates has inhibited the independence of secular from religious authority. Secular leaders, like Ataturk, had to fight against islam, to promote secularism inspired by the "west" instead of simply creating their own branch. Even today most secular authority in the Middle East and North Africa are perceived as illegitimate by a sizable part of the population of their countries simply because they're not the Caliphs (the Kingdom of Morocco is probably the only major exception).

That's why in Syria after the breakdown of the tribal, semi-secular Assad government so many Sunni muslim groups clamored for a Caliph. That's one of the reasons which gave some legitimacy to ISIS, for example. That's also one of the reasons why "democracy building" is so hard in the middle east, bordering on the impossible.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

In Christianity the disciples of Jesus aren't described as gathering together after his death and trying to figure out who should lead them politically and religiously. In islam this happened after the death of Mohammed. Many ahadith describe a gathering of muslim bigwigs which settled on electing Abu Bakr, although the Shia believe that Ali disputed the choice and Sunni believe that he accepted it.

[The Shia allege that Abu Bakr later forced Ali to accept his leadership with the strength of arms, the Sunni think that no such thing ever happened. There are also finer points about what Mohammed is alleged to say while he was alive, but they're not necessary for my argument]

So in Christianity there are no fixed rules for choosing the Vicar of Christ. It's all down to interpretation, and the Bishops of Rome only gained power thanks to an eventual alliance with Roman Emperors. In islam there's dispute about WHO is the legitimate heir of the position of successor of Mohammed and interpreter of the words that Mohammed received from god, and also about HOW the heir should be chosen, but there's no dispute that role itself must exist and encompass civil, legal, moral, military and religious authority.

It's at least theoretically possible for a pious Christian to think that there is no single civil, legal, moral, military and religious authority and to follow private morality inspired by religion while they respect the public civil, legal and military authority of a non-Christian, or more often of a Christian of a different denomination (a pious Catholic can vote for a Mormon or an Evangelical without feeling like he's betraying his faith, and vice versa).

It's not even theoretically possible for a pious Muslim to separate legal, civil, moral, religious and military authority. Civil and military authorities which aren't the Caliph are seen as temporary, limited ones, and the law that they enforce MUST be islamic, and more specifically of their denomination. This is what creates tensions in multi-denomination countries like Iraq or Syria.

Secular muslims or "cafeteria" muslims are more flexible. In the US most muslims are "western" educated professionals who are more culturally muslim than truly religious (although there's a sizable minority of pious muslims, many of which are active in politics). This isn't the case in most of Europe.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

gurugeorge wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Do you honestly believe Muslims don't? "Of course Mohammed didn't literally fly to heaven on a winged horse. It was a spiritual journey."
But they can't say that openly in most Muslim countries. There was a brief period when they could, but that's far in the past now (although it could return if reformers like Majid Nawaz are successful).

There is a difference between "literal word of Allah via an angel" and "prophecy or speech inspired by God." Especially if the former is the majority interpretation of one religion, and the latter the majority interpretation of another religion. Most Christians aren't the literalist type of evangelical, whereas most Muslims have to (publicly) at least profess to be that type of Muslim.

It seems to me that you're trying too hard to make all religions morally equivalent. They're not, they're on scales of various kinds (pro-science to anti-science, pro-reason to anti-reason, vicious to kind, barbaric to civilized).
If it seems like I'm drawing a moral equivalence it's only because I'm arguing with the robot who insists his mother is not a woman and "literal word of God" is an entirely different category of thing from "literal transcription of God's words", and I'm getting frustrated. Islam is much worse than Christianity. I've never been shy about saying it. What I have difficulty buying is that it's categorically worse and immune to reform in a way Christianity clearly was not. You rightly point out the problems with theocracy, but those are just arguments for breaking the back of said institutions. After all, as seen in Uganda, you give Christians power and they're going to go right back to trying to kill gay people.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

And Kirbmarc, I'm listening to what you're saying. In your opinion, what would it take to convert the majority of the population to cultural Muslims?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

jet_lagg wrote:And Kirbmarc, I'm listening to what you're saying. In your opinion, what would it take to convert the majority of the population to cultural Muslims?

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Hospital refuses charity because men dressed in 'demeaning' fancy dress.

The world has finally gone full stupid. :doh:

http://i.imgur.com/rTLtmnv.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sh ... e=facebook

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I thought that was Steersman's solution? :D

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

MarcusAu wrote:'kek' is one of those new three letter words - that I'm not particularly interested in becoming familiar with.

Like 'dox'

I suspect there will be some shit hitting various fans at some point in relating to this.
Does anyone know if it's supposed to be 'doxing' or 'doxxing'? I've been getting mixed signals on this, tbh.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote:If it seems like I'm drawing a moral equivalence it's only because I'm arguing with the robot who insists his mother is not a woman and "literal word of God" is an entirely different category of thing from "literal transcription of God's words", and I'm getting frustrated. Islam is much worse than Christianity. I've never been shy about saying it. What I have difficulty buying is that it's categorically worse and immune to reform in a way Christianity clearly was not. You rightly point out the problems with theocracy, but those are just arguments for breaking the back of said institutions. After all, as seen in Uganda, you give Christians power and they're going to go right back to trying to kill gay people.
I don't think islam is immune from reform. However the reform must come at the price of literalism, of tradition, of the texts themselves, of the practices and beliefs of islam. Basically islam has to become a set of cultural associations, not a religion, a bit like Judaism. You need atheists, wishy-washy believers, quasi-believers, atheists-in-practice, "cafeteria believers", reformers, heretics, and all combinations thereof.

You won't get any reform from muslim "community leaders", people who are "proud to be openly and unapologetically muslims" , "council of muslims", "associations of islam", people who play muslim identity politics, and religious leaders who get their material from muslim countries.

Reform in islam means "de-islamisation", and to an extent, assimilation to the "western" (read: Enlightenment) standards. This is unavoidable and anyone who thinks otherwise, who thinks that pious muslims are peacefully going to get along with non-muslims because islam is a "religion of peace", is delusional.

The leftists who think that islam is an oppressed identity and that poor little muslims are just victims of the Evil West aren't just hindering reform, they're actively helping groups like the Muslim Brotherhood or Hamas or Hezbollah (at least), whether they realize it or not. For a progressive siding with islam means betraying their own progressive principles.

Progressives should be the ones listening to people like Asra Nomani or Ayaan Hirsi Ali, instead people like Kamala Harris or Kristen Gillibrand are actively shitting on them, demonizing them as followers of "white supremacists", and doing the work of the Muslim Brotherhood without even getting paid for it.

SJWs like PeeZus, who attack and silence critics of islam, are actively helping theocrats, misogynists, homophobes and all other anti-progressive people within islam. They're vocally clamoring for Trump's removal for being far too kind to neo-Nazis (and they might have a point) but they're actively helping people who aren't much better than the neo-nazis.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Tigzy wrote:
Does anyone know if it's supposed to be 'doxing' or 'doxxing'? I've been getting mixed signals on this, tbh.
I'd heard that 'dox' is the proper spelling. But it's not like there is an actual authority to appeal to - apart from you know, the obvious one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxing

Ultimately I suspect that the spelling will sorted out via civil war - cf the big vs little endian battles of the 1700s.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

rayshul wrote:

Bleating Heart Press is making a zine! We Told You is a 50-page zine about the problematic work and activism of writer, director and producer, Joss Whedon.

When Whedon’s ex-wife Kai Cole wrote about the breakdown of their marriage, dozens of think pieces were published examining his most recent works and the too common trend of famous male feminists revealing themselves as manipulative and insincere. Long running fansite Whedonesque shuttered and hundreds of fans saw their affection for his work die. For many, Cole’s letter came as a shock. But not for all of us.
We Told You will look at the decades of intersectional feminist critique, and just plain disbelieving anger, that has existed alongside the narrative of Joss Whedon, perfect male feminist. Essays will include close examinations of particular works and recurring trends (waifish, emotionally vulnerable heroines; misogynistic nerds as author avatars; the racist underpinnings of Firefly), as well as his legacy as a producer and celebrity male feminist.

We Told You will include original and reprinted essays, comics and illustrations by Claire Napier (Women Write About Comics), Angel Cruz (The Learned Fangirl), Veronique Emma Houxbois (Comicosity), C.P. Hoffman (BookRiot) and more.

Pitches

We are accepting pitches for essays, comics and original illustration for We Told You So. Essays should be about 1500 words long. Comics and illustration should be in black and white and no more than two pages.

We are aiming for a quick turnaround with this zine, so previously published pieces will be accepted. However, you should be willing to work with Megan Purdy, the zine editor, to update the piece for republication.

To pitch original essays, comics and illustrations you should should include a one sentence summary of of your idea, bullet points of your argument in rough, and a link to your portfolio or past work.

The zine will be sold digitally on Gumroad after our Kickstarter concludes. A print run will be built into the Kickstarter as a stretch goal. All contributors will be paid, starting at $30/page for essays and $50/page for art and comics. Raises for contributors will be our first and most important Kickstarter stretch goal.

Submit a pitch by sending an email to publishing@wwacomics.com with the subject line Pitch: We Told You.
Or more succinctly, I Saw Goody Whedon With the Devil. Feminism is a cult.
Pitch: Avengers Age of Ultron is actually an antifeminist paen to womyn-hating racist Tony Stark's (and by extention, Whedon's) belief that men are better at giving birth and parenting, via Stark's technological ass-babies Ultron and The Vision. Sure, Ultron went off the rails a bit, but the intervention of the Korean womyn scientist (read: Philipino nanny racist stereotype) ensured The Vision was raised as a 'good' cis-gendered (internalised) white male while daddy Stark happily conformed to the gender stereotype by preferring to stay at work. The subtext is that rich white male womyn hating racist fathers coupled with submissive far-eastern nannies make the best parents. So it's really a totally antifeminist racist screed about the 'superiority' of white imperialist racist cis male toxic etc etc etc type stuff.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote:And Kirbmarc, I'm listening to what you're saying. In your opinion, what would it take to convert the majority of the population to cultural Muslims?
If you're talking about muslims who live in "western" countries the most efficient solution would be to close all muslim religious schools and allow them to reopen only if they accept governmental control over what they teach (so no hateful or bigoted messages taught to kids), have a list of imams and keep them under control, severely limit immigration from muslim countries to those who are highly educated and/or members of a class of people which victimized by islamic laws/islamic regimes, and stop cooperating with muslim theocracies until they accept control over the material they can send and the money they're allowed to spend in your country.

Also making citizenship dependent on evidence of assimilation, like in Switzerland, could help.

I realize that this is draconian solution, and it'd go against many established principles, especially the long-standing religious privileges of teaching whatever they want and not be sanctioned.

A less drastic solution, which might work in the US (where the biggest problems are foreign imams or muslim thought leaders financed or educated by the Muslim Brotherhood or Salafi networks), could be to cut alliances and lobby-based ties with the Gulf theocracies and foster the growth of an autonomous "American Muslim" identity by promoting those who are in favor of separation of mosque and state, secularism, rejecting literalism, etc.

If you're talking about muslims who live in muslim majority countries I have absolutely no idea, but I think that the "west" should stay away from the games and schemes of Middle Eastern countries and let them sort out their own issues in their own time.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Without serious efforts to spread secularization and reduce the political social power of islam, I can see four scenarios happening in the near future (20 or 30 years from now) in "western" countries (some more likely in some countries, some in others):

Scenario 1: the country within the country. This is rather likely to happen in countries where muslim are a very small minority and will stay a very small minority for quite a long time (US, Canada). Basically muslims create their own legal, social and political institutions and form a small but active and vocal voting bloc/lobby that defends those institutions. They might ally with conservative Christians on social matters while ostensibly voting for a progressive candidate in order to safeguard themselves against a right-wing threat. Likely result: small religious states within the state, with a progressive rise of honor killings, of punishment for violating religious laws and of influence of islam on the politics of the small muslim enclaves. Tensions would be caused by the usual ethnicity/cultural based frictions along with the issues of those who might leave the community and/or intermarry. Terrorism will stay a sporadic incidence and not become a full-on insurgency.

Scenario 2: the anti-muslim fascist regime. This is more likely to happen in Eastern/Southern Europe than in the US or in Western Europe. Basically tensions get so high that the people vote for someone who goes full Steersman or even worse. Violence would increase, the international community would condemn the government but (as usual) ineffectually so. Likely result: a right-wing fascist regime which would be incredibly hard to dismantle, lots of suffering for anyone involved. Parts of this scenario are already in the works in Hungary. Terrorism would rise during the implementation process only to fall after the resolution, but state-sponsored violence would carry on for a while.

Scenario 3: the civil war. This is more likely to happen in countries where muslims will consist of a sizable minority of the population (France, the UK, Sweden). Basically the same things happen that happened in the Scenario 2, but due to the number of muslims within the country no right-wing regime is formed. Muslim and anti-muslim violence degenerate into a civil war, like in Lebanon, with militias killing thousands of people of the side they hate. Likely result: a failed state like in Lebanon, endemic violence until a precarious compromised is reached, the country becoming essentially divided and impossible to govern as a whole.

Scenario 4: progressive islamization of the entire country. This is less likely to happen then the other scenarios (and especially unlikely in the US or Canada or Eastern/Southern Europe), but it's not impossible. After a period of violence muslims take control of the institutions of the country and slowly but steadily head them towards an explicitly muslim direction, similarly to what Erdogan is doing to Turkey. Demographics favor the muslims who clamor for anti-immorality laws (legal punishment for blasphemy, limitations on the sale of alcoholic drinks, punishment for LGBT people, punishment for adultery and pre-marital sex, etc.) which eventually are implemented. Likely result: a de facto muslim theocracy.

All the four scenarios are bad. Secularization, even at some costs, looks very preferable to all four scenarios. Leftists are particularly worried about scenario 2, and understandably so, but their efforts to prevent scenario 2 from happening could lead, if there is no effort at least as strong to promote secularization of islam, to scenario 3, at least in some countries. Opposing the far-right IS a good idea but you need to push for secularization of islam as well, otherwise more and more non-muslim people will defect from liberal democratic forces to join the far-right as a consequence of a growth in muslim theocratic projects.

And no, Donald Trump's administration, while terrible, isn't even remotely close to Scenario 2. Indeed the US are very unlikely to experience Scenario 3 or 4, and not incredibly likely to end up in a situation which would close to Scenario 2. What's more likely in the US is either the failure of Sarsour-like theocratic projects (and so secularization) or Scenario 1, with some small, semi-isolated theocracies which don't threaten society at large but are practically an independent country within the country (this scenario would suck for American ex-muslims or American liberal muslims, though).

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Had I the spoons, I'd do a postmodernist deconstruction of Whedon's <i>Dollhouse</i>.

I could tell all along that baked potato of a manlet was banging Amy Acker.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
I'd heard that 'dox' is the proper spelling.
When you release someone's sex tape, it's doxxxing.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Had I the spoons, I'd do a postmodernist deconstruction of Whedon's <i>Dollhouse</i>.

I can't see anything problematic about a series based on the premise you can use a woman anyway you want and then erase her memory.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Had I the spoons, I'd do a postmodernist deconstruction of Whedon's <i>Dollhouse</i>.

I can't see anything problematic about a series based on the premise you can use a woman anyway you want and then erase her memory.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Bit of a long shot asking on here but are there any dream analysts out there?

I had a dream last night that Prince William was killed in an accident on the Thames, he was travelling with Kate the kids and Harry & his latest girlfriend (that actress) they were on the Royal barge which was being driven by Princess Anne and she crashed into one of those big cargo barges that travel down the Thames (very similar scenario to the Marchionesse disaster)
Anyway, this caused a National crisis as people stared rioting at the thought of Charles becoming King and there were calls for Anne to be executed for being responsible for Williams demise.

This has been bugging me all fucking day, normally I never remember dreams but I just can't get this out of my head. HELP!

P.S. I'm not a Republican nor am I a die hard Royalist, basically that kind of stuff doesn't really bother me. ... Oh and had not been drinking nor do I use drugs.

Malky

Post by Malky »

If only they'd shut up and listened to the Womyn - this wouldn't of happened:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41037826

feathers

Post by feathers »

Snapfingers wrote:In Valby, Copenhagen, Denmark at the Historical sites of the Carlsberg brewing company, you can't walk 10 meters without seeing a huge swastika. Even on the nearby church (doanted by Carlsberg) there are giant reliefs of swastikas everywhere. It's always fun to show to tourists. The Swastika was the original trademark of Carlsberg until some guys in Münich started using it in their marketing of race-realism. So they change it to a Hops-leaf in the 30's.
I've never noticed, but I was probably too drunk.

Fegg

Post by Fegg »

jet_lagg wrote:
If it seems like I'm drawing a moral equivalence it's only because I'm arguing with the robot who insists his mother is not a woman and "literal word of God" is an entirely different category of thing from "literal transcription of God's words", and I'm getting frustrated.
"literal word of God" has no clearly defined meaning - both "literal" and "word" can be understood differently enough that
the same person could easily answer yes or no depending upon what he thought you meant. This is a big problem with
survey questions in general.

If you used terms of art in protestant theology a decent question would be
do you believe in:
a) plenary inspiration
b) verbal inspiration or plenary verbal inspiration
c) dictation theory
d) none of the above

And if you asked fundamentalists and conservative evangelicals you would find a somewhat even split
between a) and b) and practically no takers for c) and d).

You seem to be insisting that people really mean that they accept dictation theory -"literal transcription of God's words"
when they answer a question which they may well take to mean -"do you believe the bible is really of both human and
divine authorship?"

B.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

shoutinghorse wrote:Bit of a long shot asking on here but are there any dream analysts out there?

I had a dream last night that Prince William was killed in an accident on the Thames, he was travelling with Kate the kids and Harry & his latest girlfriend (that actress) they were on the Royal barge which was being driven by Princess Anne and she crashed into one of those big cargo barges that travel down the Thames (very similar scenario to the Marchionesse disaster)
Anyway, this caused a National crisis as people stared rioting at the thought of Charles becoming King and there were calls for Anne to be executed for being responsible for Williams demise.

This has been bugging me all fucking day, normally I never remember dreams but I just can't get this out of my head. HELP!

P.S. I'm not a Republican nor am I a die hard Royalist, basically that kind of stuff doesn't really bother me. ... Oh and had not been drinking nor do I use drugs.
ConcentratedH2O is a huge dream fan, and I'm sure he'll be around shortly...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

feathers wrote:
Snapfingers wrote:In Valby, Copenhagen, Denmark at the Historical sites of the Carlsberg brewing company, you can't walk 10 meters without seeing a huge swastika. Even on the nearby church (doanted by Carlsberg) there are giant reliefs of swastikas everywhere. It's always fun to show to tourists. The Swastika was the original trademark of Carlsberg until some guys in Münich started using it in their marketing of race-realism. So they change it to a Hops-leaf in the 30's.
I used to work for a startup that had Carlsberg as one of our clients. I used to love visiting Valby - in the restaurant there was free beer to add to your meal. Plus, in the Tivoli, there used to be topless sunbathing in summer.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

feathers wrote:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Whoo - back! Was unable to access the Pit for a while there - kept getting 'server not found', even though Down For Just Me said it was accessible and other pitters were able to access it. I'm guessing it must've been my ISP fartarsing around.

Can't do without the Pit. It's my internet cigarette. My 'fag', if you will.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

shoutinghorse wrote:Bit of a long shot asking on here but are there any dream analysts out there?

My analysis is that we have been so bombarded with coverage of Diana's anniversary that it's surprising we aren't all dreaming of dead royals.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Lsuoma wrote:I used to work for a startup that had Carlsberg as one of our clients. I used to love visiting Valby - in the restaurant there was free beer to add to your meal. Plus, in the Tivoli, there used to be topless sunbathing in summer.
Is that where your avatar picture was taken?