In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Kirbmarc

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Kirbmarc »

Oglebart wrote:The ITV news report I watched earlier managed to cover 10 minutes without mentioning the words muslim or islam. Just a couple "Asian men" and a "Asian community" sneaked in there. Cunts.

Muslims

They are Muslims
It's wonderful how those people can be classified according to their race (something which doesn't, by itself, have any major effect on their criminal behavior) willy-nilly, but one dares to classify them according to their religion (which is actually "problematic" in sexual matters, and so potentially has some indirect effect on their crimes) then they're a bigot.

Or, to put it more harshly, on British TV it's OK to call criminal by their race, but not OK to suggest that islam might lead to social issues.

Also there is no such thing as the "Asian community", since Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs don't belong to the same "community". Hell Ahmadi are excluded by the same "community" as Sunni and Shia.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Oglebart wrote:The ITV news report I watched earlier managed to cover 10 minutes without mentioning the words muslim or islam. Just a couple "Asian men" and a "Asian community" sneaked in there. Cunts.

Muslims

They are Muslims
It's wonderful how those people can be classified according to their race (something which doesn't, by itself, have any major effect on their criminal behavior) willy-nilly, but one dares to classify them according to their religion (which is actually "problematic" in sexual matters, and so potentially has some indirect effect on their crimes) then they're a bigot.

Or, to put it more harshly, on British TV it's OK to call criminal by their race, but not OK to suggest that islam might lead to social issues.

Also there is no such thing as the "Asian community", since Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs don't belong to the same "community". Hell Ahmadi are excluded by the same "community" as Sunni and Shia.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

katamari Damassi wrote:I hate to say it, but if Trump takes N. Korea down without high casualties for the US, then he's guaranteed to quell the opposition and ensure reelection. I don't see how it could happen though unless China has completed washed its hands of N. Korea.
There's no way to take North Korea down military without at least high casualties among the US servicemen who are stationed in South Korea. If there's even the start of an open war between the US and North Korea at the very least Seoul is gone (either through nukes or through artillery shelling).

Trump is saber-rattling but ultimately won't risk it. Or if he does try it the US military will refuse to comply with his orders. Hopefully.

What I think is more likely is US pressure on China to punish North Korea somehow (curbing shipping of aid, for example).

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Shatterface wrote:
Police paid convicted child rapist to spy on Newcastle sex abusers

A convicted child rapist was paid nearly £10,000 by police to spy on a network of men who were sexually abusing young women and girls, it can now be reported.

The news comes as seventeen men and one woman were convicted for involvement in a sex grooming network in Newcastle, following a series of trials that ran over more than two years. The trials could not be reported until all were concluded for fear that they would be prejudiced.

The court was told that Northumbria police paid the man – referred to as XY – £9,680 over 21 months to attend parties where girls were being plied with drugs and alcohol, in order to gather evidence for their investigation.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... on-shelter
The pictures of the members:

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cps ... 8_comp.jpg

The names of the members.

Left to right, row by row, starting top left: Eisa Mousavi, Mohammed Ali, Nashir Uddin, Monjur Choudhury, Taherul Alam, Habibur Rahim, Badrul Hussain, Carolann Gallon, Saiful Islam, AbdulHamid Minoyee, Prabhat Nelli, Abdul Sabe, Jahanger Zaman, Nadeem Aslam, Mohammed Azram, Yassar Hussain, Redwan Siddquee, Mohibur Rahman.

For once, there was what looks like strictly relevant information in the BBC story:
Those prosecuted were from the Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Indian, Iraqi, Iranian and Turkish communities and mainly British-born, with most living in the West End of Newcastle.

feathers

Post by feathers »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Imagine my shock at finding out Queen Bee doesn't get on with her neighbours!
To be fair to the Queen, her neighbour does sound like an inside-out sphincter.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Malky wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Malky wrote:[

Never read this - so no
The movie was good too.

Despite the nagging feeling that the whole cast were going to break into a song and dance routine whenever Fred Astaire was on screen

Brive may appreciate the backup national anthem from that clip.
To show even more ignorance never heard of this either :oops:
The lyrics go:

Shagging Matilda, fucking nearly killed 'er.
Who'll come a-shagging Matilda with me?
And I whipped it in, whipped it out,
Then wiped it on her petticoat.
Who'll come a-shagging Matilda with me?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Fuck you, cock-fungus!

:nin: :nin:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

James Damore with Stefan Molyneux:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

One dose of Moly is enough for anyone.

Mr. X, Indeed

Post by Mr. X, Indeed »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
trigger warning
That was certainly not really thought through and pointless. I like the haircut. Kind of a Susan Powter vibe.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote:They seem very delicate these Google SJW bad asses

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/Mx8NMVY.jpg[/img]
Freaking fucking gutless wonder with his head in the sand or up his own arse:
This account's Tweets are protected.

Only confirmed followers have access to @JessMuskin's Tweets and complete profile. Click the "Follow" button to send a follow request.
/virtue-signalling

Really should be declared child abuse to give kids puberty blockers or related surgeries. Somewhat apropos of which and speaking of people with their heads up their arses, my comment over at another FTB backwater, Against the Grain, in a post titled "Trans activists insist trans people are human. BUT HAVE TRANS ACTIVISTS GONE TOO FAR?". It had been "awaiting moderation" for some time but, after I emailed the blog owner, it seems it's been deleted (surprise, surprise, surprise):
Tillerman wrote:To answer your question at the outset, yes, I would say that many if not most trans-activists have gone much too far – way beyond the Pale as a matter of fact. No doubt there’s a spectrum of opinions and perspectives in that community, but it seems far too many are conflating a supposed attempt to deny transpeople some fundamental civil rights with objecting to many untenable and problematic aspects of their ideology.

And foremost among the latter is a quite reasonable objection to the claim, bravely if foolhardily articulated by Zinnia Jones, that “trans women are female”. For one thing, it is a remarkably anti-intellectual and anti-scientific perspective that flies in the face of taxonomy which is the science of “defining and naming groups of biological organisms on the basis of shared characteristics”. And it likewise attempts to deny the biological fact that humans produce “two morphologically distinct types of gametes, and in which each individual produces only one type, [with] a female [being defined as] any individual that produces the larger type of gamete—called an ovum (or egg)—and [with] a male [being defined as the individual that] produces the smaller tadpole-like type—called a sperm”. Sure would like to see you or Zinnia try to demonstrate – figurately speaking – that he can produce ova.

It is quite true that our words for classes are “socially constructed”, but it seems remarkably clueless or self-serving to try to deny that there are objective criteria that determine whether any given individual is in a particular class or not. It makes as much sense to expect, much less demand, an affirmative answer to the trans-purity test of, “do you believe that trans women are women, yes or no?” as to expect the same answer to the analogous, “do you believe trans teenagers are teenagers, yes or no?”
Sure a lot of people unclear on the concept of definitions - even some who should know better .... - particularly on those for "female" and "male". Case in point being the estimable M.A. Melby; have to give her some credit for sticking up for me on my supposed doxing of her, but she too seems remarkably unwilling to call a spade a fucking shovel; dogma does tend to produce no end of cognitive dissonance. My first tweet had been in response to one of hers which had been the topic of another post at the benighted Against the Grain: https://twitter.com/MAMelby/status/894792778944847872
https://twitter.com/SteersMann/status/8 ... 5678764032

Crickets ...

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

trigger warning
I like the way Jenny has to tilt the camera so that she can get her entire face onscreen.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I hate to say it, but if Trump takes N. Korea down without high casualties for the US, then he's guaranteed to quell the opposition and ensure reelection. I don't see how it could happen though unless China has completed washed its hands of N. Korea.
There's no way to take North Korea down military without at least high casualties among the US servicemen who are stationed in South Korea. If there's even the start of an open war between the US and North Korea at the very least Seoul is gone (either through nukes or through artillery shelling).

Trump is saber-rattling but ultimately won't risk it. Or if he does try it the US military will refuse to comply with his orders. Hopefully.

What I think is more likely is US pressure on China to punish North Korea somehow (curbing shipping of aid, for example).
Apropos of which, an article in The Daily Caller; maybe a questionable source for a number of reasons but article seems to be based on legitimate links to more reputable sources:
China Changes Tone On N. Korea: From Not Our Problem To We’ll Deal With It

Beijing is signaling that it will do what it must to rein in North Korea, even if it exacts a heavy toll on China.

The United Nations Security Council unanimously approved Resolution 2371, the “single largest economic sanctions package ever leveled against the North Korean regime” and “the most stringent set of sanctions on any country in a generation,” over the weekend, according to U.S. Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley. The new sanctions are expected to cut Pyongyang’s $3 billion export revenue by as much as one-third. As trade with China accounts for roughly 90 percent of all North Korean trade, the sanctions are expected to hit China the hardest.

However, Chinese officials are indicating that they are willing to bear that burden. ....
One might suggest, en passant, that it is unlikely that Clinton would have been much interested in promoting those sanctions.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote:One might suggest, en passant, that it is unlikely that Clinton would have been much interested in promoting those sanctions.
Evidence, please. I don't like Clinton but I don't think she can be accused of being soft on North Korea.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote:One might suggest, en passant, that it is unlikely that Clinton would have been much interested in promoting those sanctions.
Evidence, please. I don't like Clinton but I don't think she can be accused of being soft on North Korea.
It is, maybe, a tenuous argument. But that is why said "suggest" and "unlikely". But maybe some circumstantial evidence: https://twitter.com/CR/status/895317133936046081
https://twitter.com/tgradous/status/895354665885462529

But since you seem to have your finger on the pulse of geopolitics, you might like this post over at Gatestone Institute titled The Battle for Trump's Foreign Policy

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Lsuoma wrote:

For once, there was what looks like strictly relevant information in the BBC story:
Those prosecuted were from the Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Indian, Iraqi, Iranian and Turkish communities and mainly British-born, with most living in the West End of Newcastle.
Clearly the calls to crack down on the crimes of WestEnders will only increase.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Just needs the proper hashtag campaign

#WestLifeMatters

...on the other hand perhaps not.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

OMG , according to The Guardian, Jordan Peterson is a "right wing" Youtuber and hold..... wait for it has
gasp.....
anti feminist views!!

Fired Google memo writer gives first big interviews to rightwing YouTubers
James Damore, the engineer fired this week for his criticism of diversity, spoke with two YouTube personalities who have espoused anti-feminist views
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... interviews

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

OMG! "a Dark corner of the internet" says anonymous source...(Petersen says the Science is sound)
One former Harvard student, who was in the systems biology program at the same time as Damore, told the Guardian that it was not surprising to find out he was the author of the controversial manifesto, which was widely criticized for relying on shoddy science.

“His comments do not reflect the ability to read literature critically that a typical Harvard student develops over the course of actually completing a PhD,” the former classmate said.

Damore’s views, the source said, made him an outlier in the department, which values diversity.

“It’s pretty unusual someone would have those opinions and be stupid enough to voice them,” the former classmate said. “Part of me worries that he got into some dark corner of the internet.”

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote: Somewhat apropos of which and speaking of people with their heads up their arses, my comment over at another FTB backwater, Against the Grain, in a post titled "Trans activists insist trans people are human. BUT HAVE TRANS ACTIVISTS GONE TOO FAR?".
I made the mistake of following that link. Jesus Christ, why is prolixity co-morbid with gender dysphoria? Fucking droning on and on and on, and I don't even have the slightest clue what the fuck xe's talking about. Something about don't you dare say you aren't attracted to transwomen's bodies, because people all the time can't tell I'm trans. Bless zir heart.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

InfraRedBucket wrote:OMG , according to The Guardian, Jordan Peterson is a "right wing" Youtuber and hold..... wait for it has
gasp.....
anti feminist views!!

Fired Google memo writer gives first big interviews to rightwing YouTubers
James Damore, the engineer fired this week for his criticism of diversity, spoke with two YouTube personalities who have espoused anti-feminist views
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... interviews
Reality is an anti-feminist view.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Apropos of the unending perfidy and manifest psychosis of Islam and its litany of barbarisms, Jerry Coyne has a new post up on Malaysian government minister calls for atheists to be “hunted down”

Someone with his ear may wish to suggest he undertake to publish an article in, say The Washington Post or The New Republic or other places where he has been published, on the premise that "Islam is flatly incompatible with the establishment and maintenance of the equal individual rights and liberties of a liberal, democratic, secular state". I would do so myself except I think I've worn out my welcome with him for criticizing his position on free will. But, apropos of that suggestion, and as potential ammunition: https://twitter.com/SteersMann/status/8 ... 5817033730

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote: Somewhat apropos of which and speaking of people with their heads up their arses, my comment over at another FTB backwater, Against the Grain, in a post titled "Trans activists insist trans people are human. BUT HAVE TRANS ACTIVISTS GONE TOO FAR?".
I made the mistake of following that link. Jesus Christ, why is prolixity co-morbid with gender dysphoria? Fucking droning on and on and on, and I don't even have the slightest clue what the fuck xe's talking about. Something about don't you dare say you aren't attracted to transwomen's bodies, because people all the time can't tell I'm trans. Bless zir heart.
:lol: Sorry, I should have issued a "trigger warning" of sorts - never did read the whole thing myself. But, yea, him and Natalie Screed, and Zinnia all tend to blather on and on about the topic, largely because they refuse to define their terms - notably "male" and "female" - at the outset.

Not sure if you've run across the term before but you might check out the Wikipedia article on "principle of explosion" (ex falso (sequitur) quodlibet (EFQ), "from falsehood, anything (follows)", or ex contradictione (sequitur) quodlibet (ECQ), "from contradiction, anything (follows)"), as it seems to describe the modus operandi of transactivists, and postmodernists, to a tee.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

InfraRedBucket wrote:OMG! "a Dark corner of the internet" says anonymous source...(Petersen says the Science is sound)
One former Harvard student, who was in the systems biology program at the same time as Damore, told the Guardian that it was not surprising to find out he was the author of the controversial manifesto, which was widely criticized for relying on shoddy science.

“His comments do not reflect the ability to read literature critically that a typical Harvard student develops over the course of actually completing a PhD,” the former classmate said.

Damore’s views, the source said, made him an outlier in the department, which values diversity.
This being the kind of 'diversity' that doesn't value outliers.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Well at least I've found the name of my new band:

ENDOSEX SUPREMACY

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Steersman wrote: :lol: Sorry, I should have issued a "trigger warning" of sorts - never did read the whole thing myself. But, yea, him and Natalie Screed, and Zinnia all tend to blather on and on about the topic, largely because they refuse to define their terms - notably "male" and "female" - at the outset.

Not sure if you've run across the term before but you might check out the Wikipedia article on "principle of explosion" (ex falso (sequitur) quodlibet (EFQ), "from falsehood, anything (follows)", or ex contradictione (sequitur) quodlibet (ECQ), "from contradiction, anything (follows)"), as it seems to describe the modus operandi of transactivists, and postmodernists, to a tee.
Somehow I'm not surprised.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Her bio is hilarious though:
How many intersections can you cram in one feminist? Trans, queer, leather girl, poly, sex-positive, survivor, social anarchist, and of course, atheist. Siobhan works for a social services resource when she’s not blasting politicians for doing… well, you know. She’s probably made of 70% snark and thinks the Canadian NDP are “too capitalist.” Able-bodied, (probably) endosex, and white are her hopefully checked privileges.
She's the real life Godfrey Elfwick!

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Kirbmarc wrote:

The threat of N Korea's artillery is overstated. A lot of it can't reach Seoul, there is evidence from previous skirmishes that the crew's are poorly trained and that their ammunition has a high failure rate. They are also unlikely to expose their best artillery to counter strike for very long. The Head of Hair (N. Korean one) hopefully has too much of an instinct for self-preservation to deploy nukes.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Damned ninja apostrophes. Can't drop your guard for a moment.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

DrokkIt wrote:Well at least I've found the name of my new band:

ENDOSEX SUPREMACY
Sounds like Ewok porn written by Robert Ludlum.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Shatterface wrote:

ENDOSEX SUPREMACY
http://i.imgur.com/lJM2CHl.jpg

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:Damned ninja apostrophes. Can't drop your guard for a moment.
If you were Yakuza you would have to sacrifice your right pinky for that.

Which would also solve the problem.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Plain old narcissim, ain't it. They think their neuroses make them 'different' and 'interesting', and thus prattle on about them under the delusional belief that the rest of the world must find such incessant detailing of their complexes equally as interesting. There's also a kind of anoraky, hobbyist element to it - often, when I find myself observing the SJW tranny-type in full flow (I say 'observe' rather than 'read', on account of generally not finding these peoples' neuroses all that interesting) I'm struck by how much the general tone and jargony element matches that of railway enthusiasts when they go on about 'deltics' and 'bogie numbers' and 'Stanier Class locomotives' and the like. But at least the trainspotters have the decency to make a hobby out of something other than themselves. The self obsession of these folks is gross, and supremely ironic in how it rarely translates to self-awareness.

Funny thing is, with ones like 'Shiv', there's a try-hard element which makes me wonder if some of these folks have any real neuroses at all, and simply want to join what they perceive as a cool club. 'Trans, queer, leather girl, poly, sex-positive, survivor, social anarchist, and of course, atheist' - yes 'Shiv', you are a veritable Manic Pixie Dream Tranny, aren't you. Well no, probably not - such desperate exhortations lead me to believe that you are really only a very ordinary, very flubby white girl.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

DrokkIt wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

ENDOSEX SUPREMACY
http://i.imgur.com/lJM2CHl.jpg
Kill those degenerate critters. Kill them with fire. Exterminate them all.

http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/15/08/47/58/ewok10.jpg

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
trigger warning
I like the way Jenny has to tilt the camera so that she can get her entire face onscreen.
It's not like her tits are going to block the view.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

shoutinghorse wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:It's hail and farewell (or perhaps the opposite) to actor Robert Hardy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obitu ... 80481.html

I will always associate him with the role of head vet Siegfried Farnon in 'All Creatures Great and Small' but others will more likely recall him pottering about in other endeavours.

Coincidentally ACG&S is being repeated on UK Drama TV at the moment, Hardy was a great character actor and his portrayal as Siegfried Farnon was said by many to have really captured the eccentricity of the characters real life base Donald Sinclair.

Interesting fact, he and the actor John McGlynn (Callum Buchanan) detested each other and this was the main reason McGlynn's character was written out of the series as Hardy threatened to quit if he stayed.

Also I believe he has some kind of record in having portrayed Winston Churchill the most times.
Just another way of saying he never played Abraham Lincoln.

Raymond Massey laughs at the lightweight.

https://shawglobalnews.files.wordpress. ... 574&crop=1

Really?

Post by Really? »

The ACLU is defending Milo Yiannopoulos in a lawsuit!
The case we filed today is a good illustration of what we mean. The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a government agency, prohibits any advertisements on its trains or buses that attempt to “influence members of the public regarding an issue on which there are varying opinions.” Enforcing that rule, the WMATA told the ACLU that we couldn’t put up ads that show the text of the First Amendment (yes, really) in English, Spanish, and Arabic. It also refused ads from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) urging people not to eat meat and another one from Carafem, a non-profit that provides abortion care and family planning services. In Mr. Yiannopoulos’ case, it pulled ads for his book from its trains after passengers complained.

That’s quite a range of views that government decided to silence — from an organization promoting free speech, another advocating for reproductive health care, another urging protection of animals, and another peddling what the ACLU believes to be anti-trans, anti-Black, anti-woman, and anti-Muslim views. That speaks to a core premise of the First Amendment: If government can shut down one of those views, it can shut down all of them. And that would make it harder for any of us to engage in debate with the public and to try to change people’s minds about the issues that are dearest to our hearts.

Protecting the First Amendment rights of all of these speakers is crucial to the ability of civil rights movements to make the change we need to make. When we’re talking about oppressed groups espousing what are often minority viewpoints, the danger of being censored is not just theoretical, it happens all the time. Fighting against that censorship is part of how we ensure that the voices of the marginalized do not disappear from public view.
https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-freely/ ... annopoulos

https://im0-c75.kxcdn.com/0/NEXT/NEXT/1 ... llface.jpg

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Just when you though he couldn't be more mortifying...

Really?

Post by Really? »

I may just start believing in a god if PZ Myers, whose attorney is a full-fledged "white hetero cis shitlord" shits on the ACLU for defending Milo. Fingers crossed!

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:http://i.imgur.com/EZXpWmR.jpg
Massey is intrigued not amused:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... images.jpg

windy

Post by windy »

Slate: Stop Equating “Science” With Truth. Evolutionary psychology is just the most obvious example of science’s flaws.
By Chanda Prescod-Weinstein

Alternative headline: '"Science" is One Reason the Google Memo Happened.'

She has a point: no science -> no computers -> no Google -> no Google memo. Turing was probably a shitlord anyway.
It is impossible to consider this field of science without grappling with the flaws of the institution—and of the deification—of science itself. For example: It was argued to me this week that the Google memo failed to constitute hostile behavior because it cited peer-reviewed articles that suggest women have different brains. The well-known scientist who made this comment to me is both a woman and someone who knows quite well that “peer-reviewed” and “correct” are not interchangeable terms. This brings us to the question that many have grappled with this week. It’s 2017, and to some extent scientific literature still supports a patriarchal view that ranks a man’s intellect above a woman’s.
Doesn't science know it's the current year? :bjarte:

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

windy wrote:Slate: Stop Equating “Science” With Truth. Evolutionary psychology is just the most obvious example of science’s flaws.

She has a point: no science -> no computers -> no Google -> no Google memo. Turing was probably a shitlord anyway.
It is impossible to consider this field of science without grappling with the flaws of the institution—and of the deification—of science itself. For example: It was argued to me this week that the Google memo failed to constitute hostile behavior because it cited peer-reviewed articles that suggest women have different brains. The well-known scientist who made this comment to me is both a woman and someone who knows quite well that “peer-reviewed” and “correct” are not interchangeable terms. This brings us to the question that many have grappled with this week. It’s 2017, and to some extent scientific literature still supports a patriarchal view that ranks a man’s intellect above a woman’s.
And ranks women's intellect's above men's. And not really intellects. Just tendencies for each sex to have better cognitive ablilities for certain rather narrowly defined areas than the other sex. Oh. Did I just go binary? How fascist of me.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

windy wrote:Slate: Stop Equating “Science” With Truth. Evolutionary psychology is just the most obvious example of science’s flaws.

Rather depressing to see that a supposed "particle physicist" is incapable of reading that "Manifesto" - at least with any degree of honesty, or realizing that its author was not in the least ranking "a man’s intellect above a woman’s". He was rather clearly asserting normal population distributions for men and women with a substantial degree of overlap: lots of women are "smarter" than many men, and such distributions are based on a limited number of operational abilities to begin with and would probably change depending on both the precise set of tests selected and the weighting applied to them. Here's the actual graph he used; complete document with graphs, links, and citations here:

https://video-images.vice.com/_uncatego ... 310-PM.png

Cathy Young sure wasn't much impressed with the article either and with good reason: https://twitter.com/CathyYoung63/status ... 2501039104

I geddit that newsmagazines are supposed to print a spectrum of views - presumably they're not in the business of adjudicating truth claims. But one would think they would draw the line at flagrant misrepresentations.

And an interesting perspective on the corporate culture of Google in general:
THE GOOGLE GULAG

The internet cannot remain in the hands of a corporation that hates free speech.

August 9, 2017 Daniel Greenfield 181

.... And so Damore was fired for “advancing harmful gender stereotypes”. What were these stereotypes?

That the gender gap in coding could be explained because women are more interested in people and men are more interested in things. Women were more cooperative and he suggested and that the gender gap could be reduced by making “software engineering more people-oriented with pair programming.” ....

“Viewpoint diversity is arguably the most important type of diversity,” James Damore had argued.

But that’s not what the left means by diversity. At Google and everywhere else it means a plurality of people from different backgrounds, races, genders and sexual identities who agree with us.

It’s an artificial consensus that displaces the old democratic values of individualism and freedom. Instead it imposes a system of safe spaces that treat any dissent as an act of violence against the oppressed.

The gates of the internet cannot remain in the hands of a corporation intolerant of free speech. Google’s monopoly doesn’t only threaten the free market. It threatens freedom of expression on the internet.

It’s not just about James Damore. It’s about all of us.
Indeed.

Although, as a bit of a caveat, one might raise an eyebrow at Greenfield's "women are more interested in people and men are more interested in things" as that seems the same sort of categorical claim that has marred so many people's perceptions - misinterpretations, being charitable - of what Damore actually said. One might let Greenfield off the hook a bit since that is the nature of stereotypes: tarring all with a brush applicable only to some. But it still should be emphasized that, as Damore argued or suggested, more women might be interested in people than men are, and more men might be interested in things than women are. But that hardly excludes or obviates the fact that some women are more interested in things than many men are, and may well have a greater handle on them than many men do.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. And an inability or an unwillingness to differentiate between metrics of classes and the specifics of various individuals within them.

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

twitchy com/brettt-3136/2017/08/09/we-thought-they-loved-science-slate-salon-declare-pseudoscience-behind-google-memo-terrible-flawed/

The above is a nice round up of tweets making fun of Slate and Salon and Progressives for their attack on Science IN GENERAL today while of course being March for Science, and Republicans hate Science up until now.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

This case has all the Shermer / Alison "rape" ingredients.

Uninhibited participants, party, alcohol blackouts, consent merging into regret, claims of rape, issues of evidence.

Except this one got to a jury.

Interesting outcome.

Anyone see fundamental significant differences to TAM-gate (ie other than detail) - apart from the dude actually acknowledging consent (and penis) was withdrawn whereas Shermer maintains "enduring enthusiastic engagement".

Maybe Damion has a view?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/jean-claude-p ... xs861.html

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Guest_936d3dec wrote:twitchy com/brettt-3136/2017/08/09/we-thought-they-loved-science-slate-salon-declare-pseudoscience-behind-google-memo-terrible-flawed/

The above is a nice round up of tweets making fun of Slate and Salon and Progressives for their attack on Science IN GENERAL today while of course being March for Science, and Republicans hate Science up until now.
I see someone got people into an argument about Jackson fucking his slave. I thanked him for the ancient history lesson, but mentioned I don't think any white guy are banging black female slaves in present day, and what were his PC thoughts on an actual modern day rape culture raping thousand of teenaged girls in London?

What does a female - or male - of any age fear most about being raped in the ME? Being found out that they were raped. This is the ultimate rape culture. Men in a prison culture when it comes to sex. Where the only available sex is with members of your family or a male - a smaller, therefore younger male. This is a rape culture on steroids. And since not white straight male, you dare not say so, or Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple .............................................................. ad infinitum ................... will make your sorry truth telling ass unemployable.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Brive1987 wrote:This case has all the Shermer / Alison "rape" ingredients.

Uninhibited participants, party, alcohol blackouts, consent merging into regret, claims of rape, issues of evidence.

Except this one got to a jury.

Interesting outcome.

Anyone see fundamental significant differences to TAM-gate (ie other than detail) - apart from the dude actually acknowledging consent (and penis) was withdrawn whereas Shermer maintains "enduring enthusiastic engagement".

Maybe Damion has a view?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/jean-claude-p ... xs861.html
The woman said she drank more alcohol than she usually would, so was unsure of the chronology of some key events, and could not remember others.
A very convenient memory

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Apparently this is quite common:

"He offered to walk me back to my room, but walked me to his instead. I don’t have a clear memory of what happened after that. I know we had sex.”

Source: Buzzfeed "will misogyny .... "

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

It's pretty clear by now that the SocJus fans are woo-meisters, just like the creationists or climate change deniers or the anti-vaxxers or the fan of homeopathy or of astrology. The worse part is that they're insinuating their Critical Theory woo into science and hampering scientific research to support their woo.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Steersman wrote:Apropos of the unending perfidy and manifest psychosis of Islam and its litany of barbarisms, Jerry Coyne has a new post up on Malaysian government minister calls for atheists to be “hunted down”
I, for one, would be more welcoming to atheist Malaysian refugees than to islamic Syrians.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Quantity has a quality all of it's own.

If there is an uncontrolled influx of immigrants to a country in large enough numbers over a short period of time - then you have to consider the burden they will place on the heath and welfare systems (and to a lesser extent other infrastructure).

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

feathers wrote:
Steersman wrote:Apropos of the unending perfidy and manifest psychosis of Islam and its litany of barbarisms, Jerry Coyne has a new post up on Malaysian government minister calls for atheists to be “hunted down”
I, for one, would be more welcoming to atheist Malaysian refugees than to islamic Syrians.
Yea, indeed. Though we would be wise to keep an eye on our babies as those perfidious atheists might make a quick snack of them ...

But our "politicians" sure seem to be slow to read the writing on the wall - rather necessary to keep reminding them of that: https://twitter.com/SteersMann/status/8 ... 4710141953

Rather remarkably pervasive set of depraved sensibilities in the Muslim community; can't all be due to marrying their cousins - though #NothingToDoWithIslam, of course: https://twitter.com/RadicalRW/status/895149846289690628
https://twitter.com/TRobinsonNewEra/sta ... 5585024002

Though there are natives, natural born citizens who are other than Muslim, who seem to go off the deep end a bit and assault Muslims without direct provocation or cause: https://twitter.com/OnlineMagazin/statu ... 6305531904

But that might be due in part to natives getting frustrated with authorities turning a blind eye to the depredations of Muslims, or actively attempting to limit criticisms of that: https://twitter.com/BadIdeasVs/status/8 ... 7914386432

Didn't think it was within the purview of the police to be harrassing people for "islamophobia"; seems that Facebook page has been deleted: https://twitter.com/BadIdeasVs/status/8 ... 2854264832
https://twitter.com/SteersMann/status/8 ... 9511996416

This isn't going to end well, at least unless we realize that Islam is flatly incompatible with democracy and human rights, and we do something other than wringing our hands and peddling bandaid solutions: https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/status/8 ... 7677788160

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote:Quantity has a quality all of it's own.

If there is an uncontrolled influx of immigrants to a country in large enough numbers over a short period of time - then you have to consider the burden they will place on the heath and welfare systems (and to a lesser extent other infrastructure).
Yea, particularly when those immigrants and the host country are like oil and water.

But concentration and distribution play a role too - throwing a handful of loose sand at a pane of glass isn't likely to do much damage; putting all the sand in a sandbag and repeating it is likely to have a very different effect.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Who cares about Jihadis, at least they're rooting out memes

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

We could lend Spain Scott Morrison if they asked nicely.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Don't you mean Dutton?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

ScoMo "stopped the boats"