In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
Guest_84d94f98

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

Brive1987 wrote:The Patreon CEO on the southern ban.

If you repeat "manifest observable behaviour" often and slowly enough you can almost pretend that what you are doing is neutral & scientific.

Then you repeat the mantra that the target ships were "rescue boats" and not critical enabling elements in human trafficking. This premise is your argument winner. Then you show photos of dead babies to discourage debate.

Then you suck air from the fire by accepting a limited mea culpa: "every creator deserves the right to appeal and a second chance" while denying that to Lauren.

Then you highlight "reforms" (ie break-fix reactions) that demonstrate your previous under-resourced, non policy driven and poorly executed decisions were flawed - without drawing obvious redemptive conclusions .....

https://i.imgur.com/csoma0P.jpg
Yep. She was fucked over.
One key item is not clear to me.

If the Aquarius picking up immigrants from the Libyan coast? Or are they collecting them from rubber rafts?

-Soylent

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Brive when he hears his wife is coming home:

http://i.imgur.com/syPwp7V.png
Aha! Phil Plait is a nazi!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Guest_84d94f98 wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:The Patreon CEO on the southern ban.

If you repeat "manifest observable behaviour" often and slowly enough you can almost pretend that what you are doing is neutral & scientific.

Then you repeat the mantra that the target ships were "rescue boats" and not critical enabling elements in human trafficking. This premise is your argument winner. Then you show photos of dead babies to discourage debate.

Then you suck air from the fire by accepting a limited mea culpa: "every creator deserves the right to appeal and a second chance" while denying that to Lauren.

Then you highlight "reforms" (ie break-fix reactions) that demonstrate your previous under-resourced, non policy driven and poorly executed decisions were flawed - without drawing obvious redemptive conclusions .....

https://i.imgur.com/csoma0P.jpg
Yep. She was fucked over.
One key item is not clear to me.

If the Aquarius picking up immigrants from the Libyan coast? Or are they collecting them from rubber rafts?

-Soylent
There is a tacit understanding that the smugglers only have to get them a couple of miles off shore where the NGOs can take over. The NGOs don't drop them at nearest port - instead they head for the bright lights. And in that way they become part of the chain.

Southern's mob were wanting to destroy the empty shit boats used in the merry go round before they were collected and force the NGOs to abide by the rules-of-return.

#breakthecycle

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Until now the NGOs have been able to act perfectly unhindered outside of the Libyan waters. With our ocean-going ship we want to go to the mediterranean. As soon as we arrive there, we can overwatch the doings of the NGOs, disrupt the human trafficking rings by sinking the abandoned boats they leave behind, and intervene when something illegal happens. We will offer the Libyan Coastguard our support as an recon-ship. Our presence in front of the Libyan Coast will make the sea more secure. We will save anyone we can if we get an SOS-Signal, but we will make sure that they will be brought back to Africa. By exposing the collboration of NGOs and human traffickers and destroying their abanndoned boats, we can save lifes in the future. Our presence in front of the Libyan coast is needed to save Europe and to save lifes. Help us and take our Ship a’sea!
Jesus. #banthebitch

feathers

Post by feathers »

John D wrote:WOW! The UN has banned nuclear weapons. That's one more potential world ending problem solved!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/07/worl ... reaty.html
[Beatrice Fihn] and other supporters of the treaty contend that the coercive power of such an agreement can exert enormous influence on public and government opinion.
No. No, it can't.
Treaties that banned biological and chemical arms, land mines and cluster bombs have shown how weapons once regarded as acceptable are now widely, if not universally, reviled. That is the kind of outcome sought by proponents of the nuclear ban pact. “While the treaty itself will not immediately eliminate any nuclear weapons, the treaty can, over time, further delegitimize nuclear weapons and strengthen the legal and political norm against their use,” said Daryl G. Kimball, executive director of the Arms Control Association, a Washington-based group that supports the treaty.
That's because that type of weapons has little strategic value and often causes the user about as much misery as it does the intended target. Nukes are a completely different kettle of fish.

feathers

Post by feathers »

John D wrote:I mean... come on. There are lots of people who have body dysphoria. For example, some people feel their arm is not part of them and they want it cut off. This is a real metal disorder.
So that's why Phil is trying to get himself mangled.

feathers

Post by feathers »

KILLITWITHFIRE! NUKEITFROMORBIT!

btw I sure hope those teeth aren't implants. Please?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Really? wrote:I really hope Godfrey Elfwick or 4chan start #IStandWithMS13.
[.tweet][/tweet]
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DF2I0iOXYAEpCOR.jpg

They are right with one concern though, and that is that just being tough on crime, or coppers beating up suspects, has never been shown to be a great deterrent.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ's personal, non dictionary, pomo definition of his 'vegetarianism':
I’ve personally made changes in my diet to reduce animal protein, because the arguments make sense: it’s generally good to exercise moderation in your diet.

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:http://www.tattoo.com/sites/default/fil ... terna7.jpg

Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if and when body mods, tattoos, and going trans becomes really uncool and there are a lot of people that realize they can't go back.
But how? She can't even close her mouth.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

And PZ is still seeking the biological basis for the wage gap using the dichotomy of men's jobs and women's jobs.

You cannot ignore the fact that the remuneration given for ‘women’s work’ is entirely socially constructed as well — why should sociology pay less than, say, biology? I can tell you which has more immediate impact on people’s lives, and sorry to say, it isn’t the field I’ve chosen for myself. Why should pediatrics pay less than working as a surgeon? Does one require that much more training? Is taking care of children’s health less important than cosmetic surgery? As usual, these bozos ignore the value-dependencies of the options.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... 11-h288-nc

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ's personal, non dictionary, pomo definition of his 'vegetarianism':
I’ve personally made changes in my diet to reduce animal protein, because the arguments make sense: it’s generally good to exercise moderation in your diet.
Or just exercise you fat little toad.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:So either:
a) a gay gene exists, is recessive, provides some fitness advantage, but only causes gayness in double doses, or;
b) gayness provides some fitness advantage in its own right; for example, kin-raising, or;
c) gayness is not genetic.

a) is plausible but has not been explored.
b) they've looked and looked for, and run the math, and nuthin'.
c) IST STRENG VERBOTEN!
C could still point to either learned behaviour or or in utero development. Many people don't like the former idea because it gives rise to conversion therapy, which is rather cruel and likely ineffective.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Brive1987 wrote:And PZ is still seeking the biological basis for the wage gap using the dichotomy of men's jobs and women's jobs.

You cannot ignore the fact that the remuneration given for ‘women’s work’ is entirely socially constructed as well — why should sociology pay less than, say, biology? I can tell you which has more immediate impact on people’s lives, and sorry to say, it isn’t the field I’ve chosen for myself. Why should pediatrics pay less than working as a surgeon? Does one require that much more training? Is taking care of children’s health less important than cosmetic surgery? As usual, these bozos ignore the value-dependencies of the options.

Sociologists who are pretty much paid for by taxpayers. And who should be sued for about a million dollars each for the damage they've caused to students - child abuse really. Plus the deprogramming costs. Finding out that Critical Theory is not about teaching students, it'a all about making them into good little students for neo-Marxist causes, fuck that, I on behalf of all tax-payers demand our money back. Neo-Marxist can pay for their own bullshit. That's what SJW's hate. All the thinking has been done for us by them. Nothing is in dispute anymore. It is all in their little red book Which is why they act like Mao's Red Guard when we disagree with them. Which is why we see show trials all over the internet. Confess! Confess! Impure thoughts! Improper sexual practices of a vagina female as pronounced by penis females.

Spin on my spinny-headed friend. The spinniness will never stop from the crazy new left.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

feathers wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:http://www.tattoo.com/sites/default/fil ... terna7.jpg

Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if and when body mods, tattoos, and going trans becomes really uncool and there are a lot of people that realize they can't go back.
But how? She can't even close her mouth.
Not being able to close her mouth might be a good thing.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Oglebart wrote:The people who get into it seem to say that all this body-modding is very addictive and can escalate to all sorts of places, who knows? But I look at her and think "What the fuck?" It looks terrible. Different strokes and all that. Where does she go from here, one wonders?
The graveyard at night, I think.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Improper sexual practices of a vagina female as pronounced by penis females.
That comes from the 'drupal' inquisition where a senior contributor was screwed over by the red guard over having sex with his vagina girlfriend that was not approved of by people in wig and dresses and penises. Cause these penis females know woman sex better than vagina females could ever know, and nothing patriarchal about that. Penis trumps vagina in the transgender world. LOL!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote:And PZ is still seeking the biological basis for the wage gap using the dichotomy of men's jobs and women's jobs.

PeeZie doesn't really get how the job market in a market economy works, does he? It's not a matter of what he thinks it's more important or has more immediate impact", it's a matter of supply and demand. There's a larger supply of sociologists compared to the demand, while there's a smaller supply of biologists compared to the demand. There's a larger supply of pediatricians in relation to the demand compared to the supply of cosmetic surgeons compared to the demand.

The only ways to change this are to either diminish the supply or raise the demand. And both supply and demand have nothing to do with prejudices about them being "women's jobs" or "men's jobs", and everything to do with how many people choose a career in that field and how many people are needed who have a degree in that field.

Cosmetic surgeons earn a lot because there's a very limited supply of them compared to a rising demand. Being a cosmetic surgeon requires A LOT of training, up to ten years, and the training is very demanding, with up to 100 hours of work per week.

This isn't limited to cosmetic surgeons. Pediatric surgeons also earn a lot (more than cosmetic surgeons on average, actually) and require a long and demanding training. The same is even more true for neurosurgeons. They're both in high demand compared to the supply.

Compare and contrast with sociologists. The requirement to be a sociologist is only a master's degree, although a PhD is preferred on the market. However there's a limited and shrinking demand of sociologists, so competition in the field is very stiff. The more qualified you are the better chances you'll have, but the bottom line is that there are more graduates in sociology (especially with a master's degree) than the job market needs.

Myers seems to think that since the job market is a social phenomenon (not a "social construct", since there is no one "constructing" the job market, it's a consequence of the forces of the economy) we can artificially increase the earning potential of sociologists, or pediatricians, simply by wishing very hard, and that if we don't it's because of Patriarchy and valuing "women's works" less than "men's works".

The truth is that even in planned economies like Cuba there's a difference in earning potential between jobs, even though doctors earn far less than elsewhere. Surgeons earn more than pediatricians even in Cuba, even though they both earn less than in the US. Sociologists in Cuba earn even less than doctors, unless they happen to be high-ranking party members.

Even in the Soviet Union surgeons were highly valued and received lots of benefits which pediatricians didn't, and sociologists were a dime a dozen and were mostly employed by the Communist Party (and again, they weren't paid that well compared to surgeons, or biologists for that matter).

Planned economies can decide to artificially reward some jobs more than their value on an open market, but they simply cannot pay ALL jobs equally, or even ALL jobs with the same amount of training equally. Indeed planned economies are more likely to simply force people to fill the needed job requirements then to artificially manipulate salaries, since it's easier to limit the number of available places in a given field than to simply hire lots of people in a given field and reward them equally.

So in Soviet Russia Comrade Sociologist was likely to be required a long, demanding training to ensure his or her loyalty to the party, and then demanded to, say, move to Siberia to help with "communist re-education" of a local community, with his or her rewards being dependent on the decisions of the Party, while Comrade Surgeon, if he or she had a good training, was probably kept in Leningrad or Moscow to be at the beck and call of party bigwigs, and to be given generous benefits (for Soviet standards) in order to keep him or her working and to dissuade defecting. Also people wouldn't just be free to choose their career, but would have to wait for the decisions of the central planners.

But I'm sure that in Myers' Feminist Utopia all jobs will be paid only according to the amount of training they require, a degree in interpretative dancing will be equally as valid as a degree in aerospace engineering, and people will be completely free to study whatever they want and receive equal pay for equal training. This won't have any negative effects on the economy, because Myers' Five Year Plans will work better than those of the misogynistic and racist Soviet white males.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Easy J wrote:Machete of peace?

"Machete-wielding man 'screaming Allahu Akbar' kills one person and injures several others during rampage in Hamburg supermarket"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... arket.html
Yea. "Truck of Peace" must have been in the shop for repairs.

Really do wonder when - or if ever - Merkel will get the picture, and lower the boom on Islam and the entire Muslim community. Theresa May did seem to skirt the idea with her "far too much tolerance of extremism" in the UK", and "Enough is enough" following the attacks in June, but then pulled her punches with "evil ideology of Islamist extremism", and "a perversion of Islam": you ignorant twats - that is Islam, largely in any case; takes some real effort to see any redeeming features at all in the "religion".

In any case, interesting post at the Gatestone Institute by Douglas Murray on the topic from which those quotes come.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I don't understand what is stopping Myers from finding a sociologist and donating to them - so that they reach the average for biologists.

Also, all patreon beneficiaries should receive the same income.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Brive1987 wrote:There is a tacit understanding that the smugglers only have to get them a couple of miles off shore where the NGOs can take over. The NGOs don't drop them at nearest port - instead they head for the bright lights. And in that way they become part of the chain.
That has seemed like treason to me for some time. Those NGOs should be prosecuted and sued into nonexistence.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Steersman wrote:
Easy J wrote:Machete of peace?

"Machete-wielding man 'screaming Allahu Akbar' kills one person and injures several others during rampage in Hamburg supermarket"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... arket.html
Yea. "Truck of Peace" must have been in the shop for repairs.

Really do wonder when - or if ever - Merkel will get the picture, and lower the boom on Islam and the entire Muslim community. Theresa May did seem to skirt the idea with her "far too much tolerance of extremism" in the UK", and "Enough is enough" following the attacks in June, but then pulled her punches with "evil ideology of Islamist extremism", and "a perversion of Islam": you ignorant twats - that is Islam, largely in any case; takes some real effort to see any redeeming features at all in the "religion".

In any case, interesting post at the Gatestone Institute by Douglas Murray on the topic from which those quotes come.

Theresa May "Far too much tolerance of extremism" ... Yep!

http://i.imgur.com/kJHiD6v.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

There is a link between supply and perceived value of services rendered.

The profession you want is one where it's hard to become qualified and there is strong value attached to services. Duh.

So being mutilated into looking like a 20 year old is highly desirable. You pay for that. Saving a shed load of money in tax is pretty good too. So is being able to accurately calculate risk in the insurance industry.

But architects, who do a 3 year BA followed by a Masters, followed by two years experience, followed by a registration exam, followed by a panel interview, get paid shit. Go figure. Who needs to pay an inflated ego to do their art in your space and spending your money?

As for a rural liberal arts school biologist ....lol

Myers is lucky he gets paid at all.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Anyone know why the 400 year strong Danish-Norwegian union didn't have the maratime profile of the skank sized Holland in the 1600 and 1700s?

Strong ocean frontage, war free, good combo of farming and natural resources, maritime heritage ....

This is vexing me.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Keating wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:There is a tacit understanding that the smugglers only have to get them a couple of miles off shore where the NGOs can take over. The NGOs don't drop them at nearest port - instead they head for the bright lights. And in that way they become part of the chain.
That has seemed like treason to me for some time. Those NGOs should be prosecuted and sued into nonexistence.
The get out of goal card is that the boat people need to be taken to the nearest safe port. Apparently someone has decided that point-of-departure Libya and Plan B Egypt don't count.

That said, European countries are generally happy to repatriate to Egypt by air. On occasion.

Maybe it's the slippery gang planks?

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Tigzy wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Feminists seem to support islam, but do muslims support islam? A discussion on a muslim forum:
http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.p ... t-of-Islam
Ummah.com is a thing of bizarre beauty, ain't it. No anti-islam website or screed illustrates just how fucking mental islam really is. As with SJWs, these folks are their own worst enemy.

I mean seriously, what other religion, what other repressive cult, could provoke such paroxisms of angst over something as supremely trivial as this: http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.p ... ak-my-fast
A toss up. Ask a conservative Jew if turning on a light bulb violates the prohibition on lighting fires on the sabbath.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:I see AL was banned with a smear of red font. The hens can settle.
So what was the final straw? On this "rude blog", s/he used "whatever" in he/she/whatever:
anonymouslurker wrote:Was I supposed to list all the 50+ additional possibilities? If I had just listed “he”, I would be accused of sexism. If I had just listed “he/she” (which is what I would normally do because there is nothing else but “he” and “she”), I would be accused of ignoring trans people. So this was the most respectful thing I could possibly say, without spending and hour tracking down all the crazy new pronouns various lunatics have come up with.
Paul Zachary 'The Vindict' Myers wrote:No. “They” is simple, inoffensive, and shorter than the alternative you chose. Since Rowan is using a gender neutral name, you would not be accused of sexism for using a male pronoun, but you might get corrected if you guessed wrong. You also would not be accused of ignoring trans people, because they also use “he”, “she”, and “they”. It seems you were more interested in snidely placing yourself on a cross rather than substantively answering any of the criticisms of your benighted position.

And since you are so consistently evasive and think people here are “lunatics”, BYE.
Evasive he wasn't, and in thinking they are lunatics he would be mildly restrained.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

"Liverpool Pride Weekend" (why the fuck they need a weekend) .. When I were a lad Merseyside police had a reputation of being among the toughest in the land.

:?
http://i.imgur.com/SZTvwXN.png
http://i.imgur.com/WbdfhS5.png

feathers

Post by feathers »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:And on an unrelated note, the Pit's favorite former feminist just got tats on her boobs:

[youtube][/youtube]
How the hell can you make a 7-minute video about your boob tattoos without ever showing them?!?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Keating wrote:
I'm not sure it has been proven that the NGOs (some? all?) act this way.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:Anyone know why the 400 year strong Danish-Norwegian union didn't have the maratime profile of the skank sized Holland in the 1600 and 1700s?

Strong ocean frontage, war free, good combo of farming and natural resources, maritime heritage ....

This is vexing me.
Some indication may be that the population of the Spanish Netherlands already back then was larger, and growing fast.
http://1632.org/1632tech/faqs/eur_pop.html
The Spanish Netherlands in 1600 had 1.5 million; in 1650, 1.9 million.
According to Peter Englund, in the early 17th century Denmark-Norway had about 1.2 million inhabitants, and Sweden-Finland about 900,000.
I suspect also that the Netherlands, as a port and trade country, had a financial headstart already under Spanish rule, which ended in 1648.

Not incidentally, 1648 was also the end of the highly destructive 30-years war (the Dutch couldn't wait and started a pre-party in 1568 against Spain) in which the low countries managed to prosper. So perhaps the question could be rephrased as, how did the Netherlands conquer the seas while other countries got bankrupt and laid to waste?

feathers

Post by feathers »

I was also thinking that the fact that Scandinavia already were the prime seafaring nations by 1000AD, might actually have contributed to their slow demise in the 17th century. The phenomenon is called Wet van de remmende voorsprong and I just learned it's a Dutch invention, or rather, obeservation.
The law of the handicap of a head start describes a phenomenon that is applicable in numerous settings. The law suggests that making progress in a particular area often creates circumstances in which stimuli are lacking to strive for further progress. This results in the individual or group that started out ahead eventually being overtaken by others. In the terminology of the law, the head start, initially an advantage, subsequently becomes a handicap.

An explanation for why the phenomenon occurs is that when a society dedicates itself to certain standards, and those standards change, it is harder for them to adapt. Conversely, a society that has not committed itself yet will not have this problem. Thus, a society that at one point has a head start over other societies, may, at a later time, be stuck with obsolete technology or ideas that get in the way of further progress. One consequence of this is that what is considered to be the state of the art in a certain field can be seen as "jumping" from place to place, as each leader soon becomes a victim of the handicap.
While the Law is most concrete in early industrial settings, where large investments in machinery were not timely and financially met by acquisition of more modern machinery as it became available, it also seems to apply to political and social mores ("We're the most powerful naval nation, no one can touch us, no need to modernise!").

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Though by 1690 they were an adjunct to England under the truly Orange leader ;)

Still. Portugal, Spain, Holland, France (to a degree), England .... all had their turn at the ship's wheel. But Scandinavia went dark. You simply can't imagine a Norse East Indies Company. I guess you're right, lack of diversity from agriculture and that whole business with the swedes retarded them.

PZ is of Danish blood isn't he? That could explain things too.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

"They" meaning the Dutch.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

[youtube][/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Theresa May "Far too much tolerance of extremism" ... Yep!

http://i.imgur.com/kJHiD6v.jpg
I keep staring and staring at May, but can't make it work!
younggirloldwoman.jpg
(17.02 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Brive1987 wrote:
Keating wrote:
The get out of goal card is that the boat people need to be taken to the nearest safe port. Apparently someone has decided that point-of-departure Libya and Plan B Egypt don't count.

That said, European countries are generally happy to repatriate to Egypt by air. On occasion.

Maybe it's the slippery gang planks?
[youtube][/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Though to be fair to the Danish and Swedes, they tried to have a go at the colonial business.
Sweden had colonies in the Americas and in Africa. However, they were not able to hold onto them due to revolts and political purchases. Overall, the Swedish impact on the new world was not as influential as that of the British, Spanish, and Portuguese; however they retained political, cultural, and economic influence over many colonies. Swedish colonies in Africa include: Fort Christiansborg/Fort Frederiksborg (1652-1658), Fort Batenstein (1649-1656), Fort Witsen, (1653-1658), and Carolusberg (1650-1663). Swedish countries in the America’s include: Guadeloupe (1813–1814), Saint-Barthélemy (1784–1878), New Sweden (1638–1655), and Tobago (1733). The colony of New Sweden can be seen as an example of Swedish colonization. Now called Delaware, New Sweden stood to make a considerable profit due to tobacco growth.
The Danes colonized many areas including holdings in Africa, the Americas, the Atlantic, and Asia. The medieval Norwegians colonized much of The Atlantic, including Iceland, Greenland, and the Faroe Islands, which were later inherited as colonies by the united kingdom of Denmark-Norway. However, both of these nations gradually gained independence and are now fully sovereign within the Danish Empire. In addition, Denmark also colonized parts of "The Americas", including the Danish West Indies, which was purchased by the United States in 1916, and is now a part of the modern-day U.S. Virgin Islands. Denmark also had trading posts along the gold coast of Africa and India, starting in the early 17th century, but these were sold to the United Kingdom in the mid 19th century
They also played a relatively small role in the Atlantic slave trade.
Trading black slaves was part of the transatlantic slave trade by Denmark-Norway around 1671, when the Danish West India Company was chartered, to 1802, when the Dano-Norwegian regent Prince Frederick carried out a ban on the country's participation in the trade.[1] As of 1778, it was estimated that the Dano-Norwegians shipped about 3,000 Africans to the Danish West Indies annually to be sold as slaves.[2] The country's ships transported approximately 100,000 enslaved Africans, about 2% of the total number the early 19th century.[1]
As shown in the paragraph above the Danish also had their own West India Company and East India Company. They even had a fort/trading post/colony in India.
Tharangambadi, formerly Tranquebar, is a town in the Nagapattinam district of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It lies 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) north of Karaikal, near the mouth of a distributary of the Kaveri River. Tharangambadi is the headquarters of Tharangambadi taluk while its name means "place of the singing waves". It was a Danish colony from 1620 to 1845, and in Danish it is still known as Trankebar.
Actually, scratch that, they had a series of colonies in India

It seems that they had the potential to become a fully-fledged colonial power, but were routinely upstaged, first by the Portuguese, then by the Dutch, then by British.
Dano-Norwegian ventures in India, as elsewhere, were typically undercapitalised and never able to dominate or monopolise trade routes in the same way that the companies of Portugal, the Netherlands and Britain could.[2][3]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:
Service Dog wrote:Science.

http://jezebel.com/introducing-the-pseu ... 1714981846

Biology. Feelnism. Penis.
Thousands of Snowflakes about to identify as Hyenas in 3...2...1...
The Guardian:
"My dog underwent gender reassignment surgery"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... nt-surgery

franc

Post by franc »

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

Brive1987 wrote:There is a link between supply and perceived value of services rendered.

The profession you want is one where it's hard to become qualified and there is strong value attached to services. Duh.

So being mutilated into looking like a 20 year old is highly desirable. You pay for that. Saving a shed load of money in tax is pretty good too. So is being able to accurately calculate risk in the insurance industry.

But architects, who do a 3 year BA followed by a Masters, followed by two years experience, followed by a registration exam, followed by a panel interview, get paid shit. Go figure. Who needs to pay an inflated ego to do their art in your space and spending your money?

As for a rural liberal arts school biologist ....lol

Myers is lucky he gets paid at all.
My brother is a retired special needs teacher. HE made more $$$ than Myers LOLOLOL

Barbie's Boyfriend

feathers wrote:
Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:And on an unrelated note, the Pit's favorite former feminist just got tats on her boobs:

[youtube][/youtube]
How the hell can you make a 7-minute video about your boob tattoos without ever showing them?!?
That's why I attached the pic I found on her Twitter page

If you wanna see more, her name is Syren Cove. Her videos are out there

Really?

Post by Really? »

feathers wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
I've never heard of her. When was she a feminist?

She says that you can find pics on Instagram and Twitter. NSFW, I am guessing:

http://www.twitter.com/syrencove
http://www.instagram.com/syrencove
Brive1987 wrote:PZ's personal, non dictionary, pomo definition of his 'vegetarianism':
A brief timeline of PZ's devout vegetarianism:
Image in question:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3_flyxWQAAOLgl.jpg
And today, he is going to "reduce" the amount of animal protein that is in his vegetarian diet.

Bonus reminder of PZ's deviant sexual fetish:

Barbie's Boyfriend

Service Dog wrote:
Barbie's Boyfriend wrote:
Service Dog wrote:Science.

http://jezebel.com/introducing-the-pseu ... 1714981846

Biology. Feelnism. Penis.
Thousands of Snowflakes about to identify as Hyenas in 3...2...1...
The Guardian:
"My dog underwent gender reassignment surgery"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... nt-surgery
Damn clickbaity title :evil: :evil: :evil:

The comments, however, did NOT disappoint :popcorn:

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Fucking hell. Peez fails to make any lasting contribution to biology and now how sour grapes about the entire field.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

and how has*

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

God dammit, I can't type worth a shit today.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Really? wrote:
feathers wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
I've never heard of her. When was she a feminist?

She says that you can find pics on Instagram and Twitter. NSFW, I am guessing:

http://www.twitter.com/syrencove
http://www.instagram.com/syrencove
A brief timeline of PZ's devout vegetarianism:
Image in question:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3_flyxWQAAOLgl.jpg
And today, he is going to "reduce" the amount of animal protein that is in his vegetarian diet.

Bonus reminder of PZ's deviant sexual fetish:
Somebody here posted a video of her several months ago where she denounced her former SJW self. I was curious, so I subscribed, which is why this video ended up on my computer yesterday

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Sunder wrote:God dammit, I can't type worth a shit today.
Thank you - lowering the bar means that my posts may past muster.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I'm a pescatarian, though I reckon I could transition quite happily to veganism, given my penchant for the low hanging fruit - that is Peez's self-proclaimed 'vegetarianism'.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

PZ's the kind of guy who makes a New Year's resolution at midnight and has broken it by 2:30 AM.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sunder wrote:PZ's the kind of guy who makes a New Year's resolution at midnight and has broken it by 2:30 AM.
By the way has he removed the "sexist" ads on his website?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Sunder wrote:PZ's the kind of guy who makes a New Year's resolution at midnight and has broken it by 2:30 AM.
By the way has he removed the "sexist" ads on his website?

Hm. I archived a couple pages and I don't see the ads. Am I mistaken?

I did think this was funny:
Last year, in hopeful anticipation of a contractor finally getting around to giving us new siding, we hacked away all the brush and shrubbery and saplings sprouting all around our house. We were disappointed: he didn’t get around to us that summer (life in a small town: limited supply of available contractors, high demand).
So this year, he has promised! We gave him a giant bucket of money! He ordered all the supplies! So we took another look at the vegetation around our house.
It had all grown back.
This is odd. I see plenty of companies that serve Morris.

http://www.homeadvisor.com/tloc/Morris- ... y-Replace/
ABC Seamless of St. Cloud
3 Verified Ratings
See All Reviews (952) 236-3106
301 4th Avenue South
Sartell, MN 56377
Serving Morris, MN
Get a Quote
Pricing & Schedule

Your Home Improvement Company, LLC
17 Verified Ratings
See All Reviews (877) 341-0934
3900 Roosevelt Road, Suite 125
Saint Cloud, MN 56301
Serving Morris, MN
This company is also more than happy to take your money in exchange for putting siding on your house.

http://smileroofing.com/mn/siding-morris

This company seems to be owned by a woman and is happy to take your money in exchange for putting siding on a home in Morris, MN.

http://www.lesmeistersiding.com/

Why won't PZ hire a woman?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

California Islamic Center Under Fire for Imam’s Sermon Calling for Annihilation of Jews
Mosque says comments taken 'out of context'
I'll show you why this isn't the case.
"The Prophet Muhammad said: ‘Judgment Day will not come until the Muslims fight the Jews, and the Jews hide behind stones and trees, and the stones and the trees say: Oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah…' They will not say: Oh Egyptian, oh Palestinian, oh Jordanian, oh Syrian, oh Afghan, oh Pakistani," Shahin said, according to the MEMRI translation. "The Prophet Muhammad says that they time will come, the Last Hour will not take place until the Muslims fight the Jews. We don't say if it is in Palestine or another place."
This is a very (in)famous hadith:
Sahih Muslim, 41:6985 wrote:The Day of Judgement will not come about until Muslims fight the Jews, when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Muslims, O Abdullah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree, (the Boxthorn tree) would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews.
The imam isn't inventing anything that isn't considered to be the word of Allah by all Sunni muslims. Sahih Muslim is one of the Kutub Al-Sittah, the six major collections of ahadith which are considered to be authentic in Sunni islam. The hadith is one of the many sources of muslim antisemitism. That's the "context" you need.

The problem, once again, is within islam as a religion, not with the single imam as a person. More specifically the problem is that the Qu'ran and the ahadith deemed "authentic" are to be interpreted literally, and they're full of content which, from a modern, secular, liberal-democratic perspective, is terribly unethical. This is why secular and liberal organizations CANNOT side with literalist muslims.

There's no "distortion" or "manipulation" of islam at work when muslim scholars and preachers say things that we non-muslims find morally abhorrent. They're simply taking muslim texts literally, as the texts themselves advise you to do, and apply their message to current events.

Islam has deep, severe issues. Muslims need to drop the pious literalism and accept modernization, otherwise it'll carry on inspiring events and acts which are incompatible with the modern secular liberal democracy. The pious muslims who whine about "distortions" and say that the only solution to the issues with islam is MORE islam in politics and MORE power to religion within society are just playing obfuscation tactics, and so are people who say that phenomena like ISIS or the countless islamic militias are only a product of "religious ignorance" and "not true islam".

some guy

Post by some guy »

Tigzy wrote:I'm a pescatarian, though I reckon I could transition quite happily to veganism, given my penchant for the low hanging fruit - that is Peez's self-proclaimed 'vegetarianism'.
Is it okay for vegans and/or vegetarians to do oral sex, or is that not allowed? (I'm guessing it would be okay to get, but not to give.)

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Funny take down, by a rad? feminist, of a Guardian video featuring a bunch of multi-colour-haired special snowflakes:

http://www.feministcurrent.com/2017/07/ ... m-special/

Here's the vid:

[youtube][/youtube]

Also, see how awkwardly this wiki article reads on one of the subjects. It's the first article I've read there that uses they/them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CN_Lester

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Sunder wrote:

Fucking hell. Peez fails to make any lasting contribution to biology and now how sour grapes about the entire field.
Can someone tell whoever is responsible for socially constructing pay for women's work that they have made an error - fashion models (mostly female) earn more than garbage collectors (mostly male). Clearly it should be the other way around.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

some guy wrote:
Tigzy wrote:I'm a pescatarian, though I reckon I could transition quite happily to veganism, given my penchant for the low hanging fruit - that is Peez's self-proclaimed 'vegetarianism'.
Is it okay for vegans and/or vegetarians to do oral sex, or is that not allowed? (I'm guessing it would be okay to get, but not to give.)
Salaaam akbaradurkadurka brother.

It is halal to give and receive oral sex, as long as both parties are consenting. Verily, the prophet Morrissey OPBUH* did say:
Meat is murder
With murder being non-consensual. Were animals wishing to be ate, then surely we would eat them. But we know they don't. Consent is the fundamental premise, brother. Performing oral sex on a corpse, for example, is utterly haraam - as we say, don't be kuffar with a coffin!

Some vegans have said that eating sperms is haraam, but this is nonsense spouted by murtad ex-vegans spreading fitnah (mischief) in our deen. Nevertheless, some brothers and sisters who have doubts may spit rather than swallow in order to assuage their fears.

[Goes back to reading ummah.com...]

*Organic Peas Be Upon Him

Really?

Post by Really? »

JayTeeAitch wrote:Funny take down, by a rad? feminist, of a Guardian video featuring a bunch of multi-colour-haired special snowflakes:

http://www.feministcurrent.com/2017/07/ ... m-special/

Here's the vid:

[youtube][/youtube]

Also, see how awkwardly this wiki article reads on one of the subjects. It's the first article I've read there that uses they/them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CN_Lester
Never thought I'd laugh at and enjoy a piece from Feminist Current or that writer.

The people in the video are absolutely insufferable, just like any other insufferable person. None of us give a shit if they want to wear purple lipstick and spout nonsense, but they need to stop expecting us to put up with their personal insanity. No one cares if their coworker is a furry. They just don't want to hear lectures about how HR should allow them to have a litter box in their cubicle...just a small one...so they'll feel more comfortable.