Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Sunder

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Sunder »

Being allowed to speak isn't a matter of merit. Luckily for you.

John D

Post by John D »

Really? wrote:Just occurred to me that Anita has some pretty big balls calling someone out for making videos that "say the same thing over and over again..."
Have you ever doubted the size of Antia's balls? She basically lied to the UN... the entire fucking UN.

I loved the guy in the video who said: "This is a question directed specifically at Anita... my question is; Do you really believe the stuff that you say?" Haha.

Really?

Post by Really? »

John D wrote:
Really? wrote:Just occurred to me that Anita has some pretty big balls calling someone out for making videos that "say the same thing over and over again..."
Have you ever doubted the size of Antia's balls? She basically lied to the UN... the entire fucking UN.

I loved the guy in the video who said: "This is a question directed specifically at Anita... my question is; Do you really believe the stuff that you say?" Haha.
I loved that, too. Notice she didn't say yes.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Sunder wrote:Being allowed to speak isn't a matter of merit. Luckily for you.
LoL. Cut to the quick - ask of me on the morrow and you'll find me a grave man, to coin a phrase ... ;-)

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Inernational pitizens, if you'd be so kind, would you mind stating if you would rather your country had some enshrined protections for freedom of speech like the USA's First Amendment? If not, why not?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Inernational pitizens, if you'd be so kind, would you mind stating if you would rather your country had some enshrined protections for freedom of speech like the USA's First Amendment? If not, why not?
Nothing to worry about in Britain (or NZ come to that) - our freedoms are protected by the best politicians money can buy!

Umm, yeah - I have constitution envy.

Possibly the best we can hope for is the example of America - so the it is completely obvious (in a way that said elites cannot ignore) that it is possible to attempt these ideals.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Inernational pitizens, if you'd be so kind, would you mind stating if you would rather your country had some enshrined protections for freedom of speech like the USA's First Amendment? If not, why not?
I never have liked Canada's hate speech laws, especially now that they're pushing that islamophobia crap. Also, incitement to violence is not covered by free speech laws but there seems to be an exemption for religious beliefs.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Yep, definitely. Particularly now, where there appear to be signs of de facto anti-blasphemy (islam only, of course) legislation coming into effect in the UK. Probably too early to worry seriously about it, but it would be nice to have the reassurance of enshrined FoS protections.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I'm offended every day by religious speech and actions. I don't ask for special rights to not be offended. So why do the nutjobs ask for some? And more importantly, why do supposedly secular institutions grant them such rights?

Don't answer, it's rhetorical.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

It's more or less the same in Switzerland, actually.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:I don't if any of you are nerds like me, but if you are, then you need to watch Legion. but you really should. It's a comic book story and a mindfuck. Also, Aubrey Plaza is hot AF. She does this dance number that had me thinking about switching teams.
[youtube][/youtube]
It's tough to listen to Nina and not immediately want to get down.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Sargon has responded

[youtube][/youtube]

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

After publicly and virally abusing me at Vidcon 2017 and inciting a cyberbullying campaign against me, I am petitioning Hank and John Green, the co-founders of Vidcon, to remove her from Saturday's Cyberbullying panel.
[youtube][/youtube]

:popcorn:

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Ninja'd by seconds!

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

katamari Damassi wrote:I don't if any of you are nerds like me, but if you are, then you need to watch Legion. but you really should. It's a comic book story and a mindfuck. Also, Aubrey Plaza is hot AF. She does this dance number that had me thinking about switching teams.
[youtube][/youtube]
Wide whites of the eyes, and always plays the crazy chick. Either she is a very talented actress, or 20 years down the road she will be doing interviews about how she came to terms with mental illness, and it was a good thing the cops shut her down when they did.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: Here's an unabashed defense of postmodernist Jacques Derrida.

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/185
My interpretation is that comic is not about Derrida.
Yeah I didn't see that either.
No, that's the joke. :twatson:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

So it seems that Sargon has decided that Sarkessian's treatment of him counts as harassment:

[youtube][/youtube]

Or he is holding Vidcon's organisers to their own standards in an attempt to shit-stir.

Neither party seems to have any principles worth speaking off - at least with respect to this incident.

Really?

Post by Really? »

These people have zero self-awareness:
Huh. Who would imagine that attendees would take video of themselves...at a convention specifically dedicated to people who make videos of themselves.

Weird.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

MarcusAu wrote:So it seems that Sargon has decided that Sarkessian's treatment of him counts as harassment:

Or he is holding Vidcon's organisers to their own standards in an attempt to shit-stir.

Neither party seems to have any principles worth speaking off - at least with respect to this incident.
I think its hilarious, I'm pretty sure Sargon wasn't hurt in the slightest but I don't blame him one bit for making hay with this, She's a vile woman who really does need taking down a peg.

It'll be interesting to see Vidcons response to this, they will have to remove her now to save face.

Guest_97f56d3c

Post by Guest_97f56d3c »

No way will vidcom remove Anita. They will ignore what happened and at the most issue a both sides are bad, offsetting penalties comment.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

MarcusAu wrote:So it seems that Sargon has decided that Sarkessian's treatment of him counts as harassment:

<video removed>

Pretty sure, the bolded statement is correct, low effort play for kek's. Also, the most inconvenient for his opponents on the other side of his culture war. The GamerGhazi thread about the incident is a repetition of it's okay when we do it. This comment is a wonderful justification.
RandoGhazi wrote:When you think about it, under their extremely warped perspective, him calling out this for supposed hypocrisy makes sense, as ludicrous as it is. They characterise harassment people like Sarkeesian has had to face as someone just saying mean words, stripping it of all the context that actually makes it harassment and thus downplaying its seriousness to the point of triviality.

So in their minds, the extreme and sustained harassment campaign that Sarkeesian's endured for the past few years is exactly the same as her once noticing one of her harassers at a panel and insulting him.
This seems like two sides mining the same affinity fraud mine to me. E-begging 2.017 Rev 6?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well - 'It's OK when we do it' principle cuts both ways.

If Sargon did not believe that Sarkessian's behaviour is harassment - but wanted to make a point about it, he could have just said "This is the sort of thing that would be considered harassment if it was directed at anyone else".

In effect what he has done is made a formal complaint (in the form of an open communication) to the organisers.

But I do take the point that his may be good for patreon for both parties.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

That rat bastard made me look up 'affinity fraud'.

I was not previously aware that this concept had been named.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

I got into a rather heated debate about this with a friend who is a philosophy graduate. He thinks constructionism is 'more empirical' because.. well.... tbh I'm not sure how you get there.

I pointed out that the feminists chosen are all Marx/European Idealism derived and not Karl Popper-esque 'reasonable limits of verification' types. Also they are all women and the 'scientismists' are all white men to further push that angle.

A fun day,

Really?

Post by Really? »

MarcusAu wrote:Well - 'It's OK when we do it' principle cuts both ways.

If Sargon did not believe that Sarkessian's behaviour is harassment - but wanted to make a point about it, he could have just said "This is the sort of thing that would be considered harassment if it was directed at anyone else".

In effect what he has done is made a formal complaint (in the form of an open communication) to the organisers.

I didn't have a problem with Sargon's tactic here. He's speaking to Vidcon and the SJWs in their own language and he's simply asking that the rules be enforced equally.

It's the same thing as with Carrier. None of us think that men at skeptic conferences should be forced to ask women for permission to speak to them. But those are the rules they demanded, so they must be enforced. All hell would have broken loose if Sargon had been on a panel and pointed into the audience to tell the audience that Anita "shithead" was there.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Neil de Grass Tyson is white?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Really? wrote:
I didn't have a problem with Sargon's tactic here. He's speaking to Vidcon and the SJWs in their own language and he's simply asking that the rules be enforced equally.

It's the same thing as with Carrier. None of us think that men at skeptic conferences should be forced to ask women for permission to speak to them. But those are the rules they demanded, so they must be enforced. All hell would have broken loose if Sargon had been on a panel and pointed into the audience to tell the audience that Anita "shithead" was there.
I was going to say that I think he is lying.

But if the definition of harassment is feeling that you are harassed then only Sargon knows for sure.

Now it's up to the event organisers to provide an environment in which there is zero risk of hurt feelings for anyone.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Steers, please check in.

"Bomber planning to attack Mecca's Grand Mosque blows himself up"

"DUBAI: Saudi security forces on Friday foiled a suicide attack on the Grand Mosque in the Muslim holy city of Mecca, cornering the would-be attacker in an apartment, where he blew himself up, the Interior Ministry said."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wor ... ?cid=FBcna

We'll see if the Saudis change their stance on exporting this shit after it goes off in their safe spaces a few more times.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Fuck me I dream of the UK having a first and second amendment rights, you guys are so lucky and we are so cucked it makes me sick in the stomach. :(

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Mecca started to go to hell as a destination after they let Richard Burton in.

nb I must remember to check out his grave at some point.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Easy J wrote:Steers, please check in.

"DUBAI: Saudi security forces on Friday foiled a suicide attack on the Grand Mosque in the Muslim holy city of Mecca, cornering the would-be attacker in an apartment, where he blew himself up, the Interior Ministry said."

We'll see if the Saudis change their stance on exporting this shit after it goes off in their safe spaces a few more times.
They won't. They were already threatened and attacked many times. It never stopped them wrecking havoc abroad.

You have to understand that the Saudi leaders, just like the leaders of all Middle Eastern countries, treat terrorists as if they were a mad dogs. They know they might get bitten too, but as long as they manage to let them loose against their enemies the risks are worth it.

Middle Eastern leaders all despise each other and are always plotting to screw each other over anything. They'd rather take big risks than let their enemies take more power.

The Saudis want to defeat Iran, to wreck the current Iranian alliances and to be able to justify killing Shias. They want this far more than they fear attacks on their soil.

Really?

Post by Really? »

MarcusAu wrote:
Really? wrote:

I was going to say that I think he is lying.

But if the definition of harassment is feeling that you are harassed then only Sargon knows for sure.

Now it's up to the event organisers to provide an environment in which there is zero risk of hurt feelings for anyone.
I'm also sure that Sargon doesn't feel harassed in his heart of hearts. On the other hand, did Anita really feel harassed when she sent herself mean tweets?
http://www.returnofkings.com/wp-content ... AA9VrZ.jpg

free thoughtpolice

MarcusAu wrote:Neil de Grass Tyson is white?
Yes he is. So is Jamila Bey and Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
If only Michael Jackson had criticized feminism and joined the Republican party he could have avoided all the hassle from plastic surgery and skin bleaching.

Guest_97f56d3c

Post by Guest_97f56d3c »

"We go high when they go low"

But there is also the ju jitsu approach "using an attacker's energy against him, rather than directly opposing it."

I think both approaches are ethical, and in this case, the latter is just a stronger form of the first. Vidcon would do absolutely zero if Sargon merely made a video about it. And given what happened to the Honey Badgers at Calgary at a similar panel, and considering the Honey Badger Alison was sitting within earshot of Sargon, I think it's not unreasonable to see Vidcon move against Sargon, Shoe, and the rest. Sargon is giving Vidcon an opportunity to do the right thing and making the assumption they are adult enough to do the right thing.

I don't see it as hypocritical or wrong to ask others to be judged by their own standards, or to ask a conference/convention to uphold the Code of Conduct they proudly put in place.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: He's conservatively dressed and conservatively trained Shia imam that all of a sudden starts espousing Enlightenment principles. I'm not as cynical as Brive about him, but all of this is a little bit fishy. Time will tell.
Let him first piss on the Shirazis and then he can appropriate non Islamic western principles.
Fair enough, he was educated and trained by complete theocratic cunts, and his 180 degrees turn from their teachings looks suspect.
I suppose it's possible that Tawhidi has had sex with Chris Ray Gun too.

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Yes please. Not a fan of Canada's "freedom of expression... up until the point where someone from the List of Protected Classes might possibly be offended" policy.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:snip

Let him first piss on the Shirazis and then he can appropriate non Islamic western principles.
After skulling a nice Shiraz, of course.

free thoughtpolice

Kirbmarc wrote:
Easy J wrote:Steers, please check in.

They won't. They were already threatened and attacked many times. It never stopped them wrecking havoc abroad.

You have to understand that the Saudi leaders, just like the leaders of all Middle Eastern countries, treat terrorists as if they were a mad dogs. They know they might get bitten too, but as long as they manage to let them loose against their enemies the risks are worth it.

Middle Eastern leaders all despise each other and are always plotting to screw each other over anything. They'd rather take big risks than let their enemies take more power.

The Saudis want to defeat Iran, to wreck the current Iranian alliances and to be able to justify killing Shias. They want this far more than they fear attacks on their soil.
Pakistan's terrorists have bitten them in their ass many times and they still get institutional support. The Iraqi Sunni support their jihadis for a while, then hate them and get rid of them, then a few years later they are forgiven and welcomed back, now they have wrecked half the country and caused massive suffering among the Sunni and are hated again.( AQ in Iraq , then IS). Probably in 5 or so years people will forget what a disaster they are and support them again.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guest_97f56d3c wrote:snip

I think both approaches are ethical, and in this case, the latter is just a stronger form of the first. Vidcon would do absolutely zero if Sargon merely made a video about it. And given what happened to the Honey Badgers at Calgary at a similar panel, and considering the Honey Badger Alison was sitting within earshot of Sargon, I think it's not unreasonable to see Vidcon move against Sargon, Shoe, and the rest. Sargon is giving Vidcon an opportunity to do the right thing and making the assumption they are adult enough to do the right thing.

I don't see it as hypocritical or wrong to ask others to be judged by their own standards, or to ask a conference/convention to uphold the Code of Conduct they proudly put in place.
(I'm a little unclear.) Is it your position that it was in some way "wrong" or "harassing" or whatever for Shoe and Sargon and the other "anti-Anita" people to sit together in the front rows?

I don't believe any of the faction heckled in an improper manner. (Am I incorrect?) The footage you can see the place wasn't exactly packed; it was almost like a Jen McCreight conference talk. It's probably more awkward if the "evil crew" sat in the back.

And further to the point, if she's triggered by seeing people she doesn't like who are sitting peacefully in the audience of an affirmative action panel she's doing, then she can go fuck herself and realize she has contributed nothing to humanity.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

[y.outube][/youtube]

I don't see the issue with Sargon's response. He is clearly rubbing the organisers noses in SJ hypocrisy.
But even if he doesn't give a shit about all the tweets he is logging, it is still objectively poor behaviour on Anita's part.

Guest_97f56d3c

Post by Guest_97f56d3c »

(I'm a little unclear.) Is it your position that it was in some way "wrong" or "harassing" or whatever for Shoe and Sargon and the other "anti-Anita" people to sit together in the front rows?

I don't believe any of the faction heckled in an improper manner. (Am I incorrect?) The footage you can see the place wasn't exactly packed; it was almost like a Jen McCreight conference talk. It's probably more awkward if the "evil crew" sat in the back.

And further to the point, if she's triggered by seeing people she doesn't like who are sitting peacefully in the audience of an affirmative action panel she's doing, then she can go fuck herself and realize she has contributed nothing to humanity.
From what I've seen in the videos, *Shoe and Sargon and the other "anti-Anita" people to sit together in the front rows* and "behaving themselves" was completely reasonable!

I think Sargon is laughing at all of this, and using it as best he can, and power to him.

I don't see anything hypocritical in asking Vidcon to stand behind their code of conduct, even if you dislike many codes of conduct.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

Really? wrote: And further to the point, if she's triggered by seeing people she doesn't like who are sitting peacefully in the audience of an affirmative action panel she's doing, then she can go fuck herself and realize she has contributed nothing to humanity.
I agree. Further Sargon asking that Vidcon live up to their professed policy is effective. Yet, I remain uneasy of any Alinsky tactics.

Will Vidcon choose team red or team blue? I thought the Green brothers were solid SJW types, but this seems like a no win business decision to me. Ineffective punt, that pleases no one, incoming.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

What I was trying to get at was if it is OK to lie in order to achieve something of value.

My suspicion is that Sargon is being dishonest - and that the stakes are not really high enough to justify it. Although it may very well be an entertaining or even effective strategy.

But as I said above - I don't really know what is in his heart. So he can take my opinions for whatever he thinks they are worth.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

If they flout their own rules in public then it opens the door for people to wonder if other potential abusers might be allowed to do as they please simply be being friends with the organizers. And if the Greens ever get on any SJW's bad side and they start any rumors about them hushing up harassment instead of dealing with it, well, there'll be a nugget of truth to those allegations that will make them harder to dismiss.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm assuming that Vidcon does have a CoC.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

MarcusAu wrote:I'm assuming that Vidcon does have a CoC.
Well they do:

http://26swqn3t6127yk6dx1qpr0cn.wpengin ... t-VC17.pdf

The relevant section being:
Vidcon 2017 CoC wrote: HARASSMENT
Disorderly conduct includes (but isn’t limited to) any behavior that is illegal, unsafe, disruptive,
discriminatory or causes excessive discomfort to our attendees or guests.
So if Sargon has been 'excessively discomforted' more power to him.

Guest_97f56d3c

Post by Guest_97f56d3c »

What I was trying to get at was if it is OK to lie in order to achieve something of value.

My suspicion is that Sargon is being dishonest - and that the stakes are not really high enough to justify it. Although it may very well be an entertaining or even effective strategy.

But as I said above - I don't really know what is in his heart. So he can take my opinions for whatever he thinks they are worth.
I may have missed where he has been dishonest. The tweets of his I've seen and the videos have been measured.

He has labelled Anita's attack as harassment, but he hasn't said it triggered him. He has been rather silent on how it has affected him.
He has said that being attacked (or harassed) by Anita and all the pile on by her social media followers has been his least favorite part of Vidcon, that might be dishonest, I suspect he's digging on that, but it's a very reasonable statement, and I wouldn't call him a liar for making it.

What has he said that you feel might be dishonest?

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

Sunder wrote:If they flout their own rules in public then it opens the door for people to wonder if other potential abusers might be allowed to do as they please simply be being friends with the organizers. And if the Greens ever get on any SJW's bad side and they start any rumors about them hushing up harassment instead of dealing with it, well, there'll be a nugget of truth to those allegations that will make them harder to dismiss.
The anti-SJW side should already be pushing this, solely for the keks.

Sadly, I too am unaware of what lurks in the hearts of men.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

MarcusAu wrote:What I was trying to get at was if it is OK to lie in order to achieve something of value.

I'll counter by saying that I suspect Sarkeesian is lying when she says the harassment is a burden to her. N the contrary, it's her bread and butter. The point is that once you allow for someone's feelings to override any other standard of judgment you have to apply it evenly.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Guest_97f56d3c wrote:

What has he said that you feel might be dishonest?
I'm sure that what happened to Sargon could be interpreted to meet Anita's, or even the Vidcon CoC definition of harassment.

But I find it a little more difficult to think that it meets Sargon's definition. (Based on his previous statements on such things).

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

#32 Rat wrote:

Well someone must know...

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

shoutinghorse wrote:
I think its hilarious, I'm pretty sure Sargon wasn't hurt in the slightest but I don't blame him one bit for making hay with this, She's a vile woman who really does need taking down a peg.

It'll be interesting to see Vidcons response to this, they will have to remove her now to save face.
I understand holding Sarkessian to her own standards. But I don't know crap about Vidcon, so I don't know what value there is in dragging them into this.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

shoutinghorse wrote:

I understand holding Sarkessian to her own standards. But I don't know crap about Vidcon, so I don't know what value there is in dragging them into this.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I doubt Sargon honestly feels he's been harassed; I suspect he has a thicker skin than that. On the other hand if harassment is going to be measured by people's subjective accounts of their fee fees then I think Sargon should go ahead and use Princess Anita's own standards against her. She is, after all, the one who went in front of the UN and said she can't bear to hear "you lie" from commenters on the internet. We can't prove that Sargon isn't similarly distraught from a similarly trivial slight.

To steal a line from the Steersman: what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

(and maybe if this tactic is used against the SJWs often enough we can get them to talk about changing the recipe...)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Sometimes you have to lie to serve a greater truth...

...or not.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Old_ones wrote: (and maybe if this tactic is used against the SJWs often enough we can get them to talk about changing the recipe...)
Which is the entire strategy. Force them into a situation where the only options are to admit the only true rule is allegiance to your own tribe, or to agree the rules are too easily gamed and change them to something more objective. It's a win win from my perspective, and a lose lose from theirs. No wonder there's so much wailing at gamerghazi

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm not so sure this will have much positive effect on Vidcon or any other conference.

The Code of Conduct may end up being tweaked a bit.

But I also think it is likely that panel audiences will be screened more carefully to avoid such situations in the future. And featured speakers will be given the right to ask for any audience member to be removed if they feel intimidated (or for whatever reason).

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Old_ones wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I doubt Sargon honestly feels he's been harassed; I suspect he has a thicker skin than that. On the other hand if harassment is going to be measured by people's subjective accounts of their fee fees then I think Sargon should go ahead and use Princess Anita's own standards against her. She is, after all, the one who went in front of the UN and said she can't bear to hear "you lie" from commenters on the internet. We can't prove that Sargon isn't similarly distraught from a similarly trivial slight.

To steal a line from the Steersman: what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

(and maybe if this tactic is used against the SJWs often enough we can get them to talk about changing the recipe...)
:-) Feel free, although I hardly coined it, just popularized it somewhat ... But I like "The Steersman" ... :mrgreen: 8-) ;)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote:
#32 Rat wrote:

Well someone must know...
The Shadow? ...

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

So right now feminists are bending over backwards to argue that calling people shithead and 'human garbage' is not harassment. They are working on tearing down their own arguments.

I think this is about the only way to win with them.