Old subthreads
CommanderTuvok

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Brive1987 wrote:
Sunder wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Geesh.

http://imgur.com/Lews0SF.png

Inspiration for what, Peez? Your own leather hotpants?

He's always trying to signal solidarity, but only blares he's an out-of-it boob. Look for his tweets about Beyonce sometime.

Peez. Quit being so needy. Nobody cares if you don't squee like a fangirl.
Cartamundia's excoriation of Gadot's IDF history didn't persuade him?
I think it did persuade him. "Women in uniform". :dance:

http://cdn2.tstatic.net/jabar/foto/bank ... 191324.jpg

I reckon Mr. Cornflake Beard has got his comics universes mixed up, and he has crossed wires, thinking this is a Marvel film, and it has the possibility of Dr. Octopus being in it. That would explain his excitement. The fucking pervert.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Totes adorbs imo

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

On nushūz: what is it, and what does the Qu'ran say about it?
A key concept to understand the position of the Qu'ran, and so of literalist islam, on domestic violence is the concept of nushūz. In order to understand what nushūz means in the context of the Qu'ran we have to understand two things:

a) the root from which the word originates

b) its use in context.

a) Nushūz derives from the triliteral root nūn shīn zāy, whose derivative words (nouns, verbs, adjectives etc.) are used five times in the whole of Qu'ran: two times as conjugated forms of the verb unshuzu, one time as a conjugated form of the verb nunshizu, and two times as the noun nushūz

As the verb unshuzu, the root occurs twice in the Sura 58, verse 11:
O you who have believed, when you are told, "Space yourselves" in assemblies, then make space; Allah will make space for you. And when you are told, "Arise," then arise; Allah will raise those who have believed among you and those who were given knowledge, by degrees. And Allah is Acquainted with what you do.
The words used here are unshuzū and fa-unshuzū. It's actually the exact same word, only the second time it's preceded by a prefixal resumption particle. The use is a verbal one. It's the 2nd person masculine plural of the imperative of the verb.

In other words it's a command for many people (Arabic uses the masculine form in a collective, generic sense) to do something. In this specific context, the meaning is to "rise up", to "stand up" all together.

It's an intransitive verb, contrasted with "yarfaʿi I-lahu" (Allah will raise, literally [*will raise Allah], but Allah is the subject).

The contrast between unshuzu and rafa'a (from which yarfaʿi) is more or less the same of the contrast between the English verbs rise and raise.

They both mean "to move upwards", but rise (like unzhusu) is intransitive, so doesn't take an object, and it implies that someone or something move upwards by itself, while raise (like rafa'a) is transitive, so it does take an object, and it implies that something or someone is moving something or someone else upwards.

The verb nunshuzu is used in the Qu'ran only once, in a transitive way, in the Sura 2, verse 259:
Or [consider such an example] as the one who passed by a township which had fallen into ruin. He said, "How will Allah bring this to life after its death?" So Allah caused him to die for a hundred years; then He revived him. He said, "How long have you remained?" The man said, "I have remained a day or part of a day." He said, "Rather, you have remained one hundred years. Look at your food and your drink; it has not changed with time. And look at your donkey; and We will make you a sign for the people. And look at the bones [of this donkey] - how We raise them and then We cover them with flesh." And when it became clear to him, he said, "I know that Allah is over all things competent."
The word used here is nunshizuhā "we raise them", with the 3rd person feminine singular suffixal object pronoun "-ha". In this case the root "nūn shīn zāy" is used to form a transitive verb, but the subject of the verb isn't just a human being, it's Allah.

Clearly the root "nūn shīn zāy" is used in the Qu'ran to express the act of "moving upwards", whether it is something being raised by a command or rising by itself, or Allah raising things.

b) the noun "nushūz" is used only two times in the Qu'ran.

The first time it's used in the infamous verse 34 of 4th Sura, in the form nushūzahunna "their ill-conduct" (nushūz+ ephentic -a- + 3rd person feminine plural possessive pronoun -hunna").

The other time it's used in:
Qu'ran, Sura 4, Verse 128 wrote:And if a woman fears from her husband contempt or evasion, there is no sin upon them if they make terms of settlement between them - and settlement is best. And present in [human] souls is stinginess. But if you do good and fear Allah - then indeed Allah is ever, with what you do, Acquainted.
The word used here is nushūzan, the accusative (object) form of the indefinite, masculine noun nushūz. Note that nushūz from the word in the 34th verse is to be answered with a progressive series of punishments from men (first a verbal admonishment, then denial of physical intimacy, then beating) if it's done by women, but if it's done by men women only have the right of a "settlement" (the word used is "ṣul'ḥan", reconciliation, from the root "ṣād lām ḥā", associated with the meanings of what's righteous, of peace, of amend and reform).

Basically in cases of nushūz men can punish women, but women are told to make peace with their husbands.
All right, but what is nushūz?
Well, the meaning isn't set in stone, but it can be inferred from the meaning of the other words associated with it: unshuzu and nushuzu. Those verbs, as we have seen, are associated with the idea of "rising", of "moving upwards", of "standing up".

Nushūz has a negative connotation, so to best translate it to English we have to find a word connected to the idea of "rising" which has a negative connotation. There is one expression which fits, luckily: "being uppity", namely acting unpleasantly because of a false belief of being more important, of higher status, than one is.

With this in mind it's easy to see that for women nushūz requires escalating punishment from their husband, while in the case of men nushūz requires simply reconciling with their wives.

Basically nushūz is violating boundaries, violating rules about one's status, elevating oneself beyond the rule you must observe. Which rules? Of course the rules of the Qu'ran itself about marriage in general.

Some translate nushūz with "arrogance" or with "disobedience" or "pride". Those translations aren't bad per se (better than a more generic "ill-conduct"), but they miss the point, the etymological and contextual connotation of nushūz.

The Qu'ran is a set of rules about everything, giving everything and everyone a rank, a place. Nushūz is elevating yourself beyond the place that the Qu'ran gives you. However for women nushūz requires punishment, for men reconciliation. How so?

The answer is rather easy: a woman, according to the Qu'ran, is naturally inferior to her husband. The husband is also inferior to the rules of Allah, and so has a set of obligations towards the wife, but the naturally superior figure, the one who can punish the other for being "uppity", is the husband.

Nushūz is contrasted, in the 34th verse of the 4th sura, to qānitātun (obedience, from the root qāf nūn tā) of the fal-ṣāliḥātu (righteous women, from the root ṣād lām ḥā, connected to what's righteous, peaceful, reconciled, reformed).

The root qāf nūn tā is also present in:
Quran, Sura 33, Verse 35 wrote:Indeed, the Muslim men and Muslim women, the believing men and believing women, the obedient men and obedient women, the truthful men and truthful women, the patient men and patient women, the humble men and humble women, the charitable men and charitable women, the fasting men and fasting women, the men who guard their private parts and the women who do so, and the men who remember Allah often and the women who do so - for them Allah has prepared forgiveness and a great reward.
The words used here are wal-qānitīna/wal-qānitāti, where the prefix "wal-" is the prefix form of the conjunction wa ("and"). To whom are obedient men and women in this verse? To Allah, of course.

So to whom are obedient women in the 34th verse of the 4th Sura? To the laws of Allah as they're outlined in the Qu'ran (and, incidentally, in other holy books).

This means that in a couple the husband is the one who can punish the wive for not obeying to the rules of the Qu'ran, while a wife must be trying to find peace, a settlement with her husband (it's highly preferable, at least) if he disobeys some rules or doesn't fulfill his duties.

It's clear that while both husband and wife are subordinated to Allah, the husband can enforce the rules of Allah by punishing the wife, while the wife should find some conciliation and reparation even in cases of violation of the rules or of neglect.

This is the root of the position of prominence of the men in a marriage, even with some marital duties, that is codified in the Qu'ran. In this context it's easy to see that the Qu'ran doesn't sanction domestic violence in general, but it does sanction the enforcement of its own rules by men on women, through beating if necessary to the obstinate refusal of the wife to obey to those rules.

This is the origin of both the justification for domestic violence in islam and of the belief of devout muslims that what they're doing isn't violence, and so that all domestic violence in muslim countries must be cultural or circumstantial in origin. Islam doesn't say that all domestic violence is OK if men do it, but it gives men the right to enforce the rules in the holy books if their wives violate them.

Everything else, such as the nature of the "corrective" beatings (they shouldn't case permanent injury, they shouldn't leave marks, yadda yadda yadda) is just a matter of details, of disagreement between muslim scholars.

Again, like the case of child sexual abuse, being a muslim doesn't make you become a domestic abuser, but islam gives room for justification of domestic abuse by giving the husband the power to police the life of the couple according to the Qu'ran, even physically (with no further prescriptions) if necessary due to the wife's "uppity" and "stubborn" actions.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

#32 Rat wrote:This product made me think of Danielle Muscato for some reason.

https://media.boingboing.net/wp-content ... grande.jpg

Only model so far.

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/file ... imsuit.jpg

Get the Muscato look for only $45. Comes in Tan too.
That was found in Muskrat's room after the last Skepticon, and is known as The Shroud of Springfield, MO.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

This is both hilarious and a little disturbing, actually it's very disturbing, the mindset of these people in thinking they have a right to just move people along in a public space is staggering and with indignant perplexity when challenged. I have no idea of the back story, just found it whilst 'Tubing'

[youtube][/youtube]

(P.S. What is it with these big square specs that they all seem to wear?)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

rayshul wrote:I put in a monkey into the Kairos thing. 76% white.
I put my black lab in, got the exact same.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

http://i.imgur.com/MgUpOGM.png

Something is very wrong with Kairos' diversity recognition.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

shoutinghorse wrote:Fucking Nazi :cry:

http://i.imgur.com/LPuiAKD.png
https://i.imgur.com/CSkeDp6.png

Lauren Sureña? :lol:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers

Post by feathers »

shoutinghorse wrote:(P.S. What is it with these big square specs that they all seem to wear?)
Problem Glasses: http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/928472-feminism

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

feathers wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:(P.S. What is it with these big square specs that they all seem to wear?)
Problem Glasses: http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/928472-feminism
On the Pit they are known as Moon Glampers (see the short story Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut Jr).

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

There is always time for a short SciFi link.

HARRISON BERGERON
by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/harrison.html

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Just spotted this as a side link to the previous YT post.
[youtube][/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

Bike Lock Bandit Eric Clanton may be violating the terms of his bond. I'm guessing that if you're facing charges for trying to kill people as part of your anarchist playgroup, the judge doesn't want you chilling with your anarchist playgroup.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Really? wrote:Bike Lock Bandit Eric Clanton may be violating the terms of his bond. I'm guessing that if you're facing charges for trying to kill people as part of your anarchist playgroup, the judge doesn't want you chilling with your anarchist playgroup.
How fucking stupid is the person who posted that tweet? "Don't retweet this, it might be bad for him"...then why did you post it on twitter in the first place?

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Really? wrote:Bike Lock Bandit Eric Clanton may be violating the terms of his bond. I'm guessing that if you're facing charges for trying to kill people as part of your anarchist playgroup, the judge doesn't want you chilling with your anarchist playgroup.
How fucking stupid is the person who posted that tweet? "Don't retweet this, it might be bad for him"...then why did you post it on twitter in the first place?
If you look at that Twitter account, I suspect it may not be entirely onside with everyone's favourite anti-fascist organisation.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

shoutinghorse wrote: just found it whilst 'Tubing'
You can say 'wanking' here

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Kirb: Beverly Hills should have been a clue ;)
http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/03/3 ... right-now/

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Kirb: Beverly Hills should have been a clue ;)
http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/03/3 ... right-now/
Thanks. I really walked into this one, didn't I?

https://svpow.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/homer-3.jpeg

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Sulman wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote: just found it whilst 'Tubing'
You can say 'wanking' here
Okay Okay .. You got me, It was the specs Moon Glampers that got me excited :oops:

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Mamamia website apologises for 'cruel and humiliating' treatment of author Roxane Gay
The Australian website Mamamia has apologised to the US author Roxane Gay after publishing a podcast interview with text that asked whether she would “fit into the office lift”.

Gay, the award-winning author of Bad Feminist, said she was “appalled by Mamamia” after the interview she gave to the site’s co-founder and creative director, Mia Freedman, while promoting her new book Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body.

Mamamia said later it was “deeply apologetic that in this instance we’ve missed the mark in contributing to this discussion”.
In a now-deleted article which was published on Monday, a cached version of which is still available, Freedman said the requests had been sent to her by Gay’s publisher, detailed in “more than a dozen exchanges”.

“Her size is imposing and also a logistical nightmare for her,” she wrote. “The requirements back and forth with her publishers who had brought her out to Australia to promote her books were extremely detailed.

She continued: “How many steps were there from the [kerb] to the door of the building? Were there any stairs? How many? How big was the lift and was there a goods lift? How many steps from the lift to the podcast studio? There was also a lot of talk about chairs – making sure we had one sturdy enough to both hold her weight and make sure she was comfortable.”

Speaking on her podcast, she said the “breach of confidence” was justified.

“I would normally never breach the confidence of what goes on behind the scenes of an interview but in this case … it’s a fundamental part of the story.

“You see, Roxane Gay is … I’m searching for the right word to use here. I don’t want to say fat so I’m going to use the official medical term: super morbidly obese.”

But later Mamamia issued an apology.

As a publisher that’s championed body diversity and representation in the media we’re deeply apologetic that in this instance we’ve missed the mark in contributing to this discussion. We believe the conversations sparked by Roxane’s book are vitally important for women to have, and are disappointed our execution hasn’t contributed in the way we intended …

In no way did Mamamia ever intend to make Roxane Gay feel disrespected and we apologise unequivocally that that was the unintended consequence, including to her publishing team who organised the visit and made the requests in good faith. We are mortified to think she would ever believe this to be the case or that we have upset someone we so deeply admire and respect.

As soon as we became aware of her feelings about it, we took down the written post, edited the podcast intro and changed the podcast description to remove all references to the questions asked by her publishers and about details she said she found upsetting.

The apology said that the “many requests” made by Gay’s publisher “were asked in good faith by her publishing team to make Roxane feel as comfortable as possible and we willingly answered all questions and complied with all requests. It is always our top priority that all our guests feel welcomed, relaxed and at ease.”

During the interview Gay spoke about how the world was not built to accommodate people like her.

“It’s very stressful because you just never know if there a space that is going to accommodate me. Are there going to be sturdy chairs? Are the chairs going to have arms? How wide are the arms? How low is the chair? It’s just a constant series of questions that you are asking yourself every single day before you go into any space, and it’s exhausting because people don’t think, they just assume that everyone fits in the world like they do.”
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... ffice-lift

http://i.imgur.com/JGywtRt.jpg

Many offices have lifts. Very few have folk lifts.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

deLurch wrote:There is always time for a short SciFi link.

HARRISON BERGERON
by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/harrison.html
Thanks a lot for that, it was deliciously witty, and terrifyingly prescient of what a future under SJW rules would be like.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

InfraRedBucket wrote:http://i.imgur.com/JGywtRt.jpg

Many offices have lifts. Very few have folk lifts.
True, but one could also argue that her ability to lift a fork without help is part of the problem.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Kirbmarc wrote:Thanks. I really walked into this one, didn't I?
That is OK. I was swearing up and down that the Boston Antifa was a satire account. But others have argued that they are just a mentally challenged splinter group/couple.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Basement

Post by Basement »

This story actually made Yahoo news! SHOCKING!

Hoax Discovery On Rural Campus Hasn't Stopped Cries Of 'Racism'
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/6fc6ab61-c ... rural.html

Really?

Post by Really? »

Referenced link from the Mamamia piece:
Mia Freedman: Why, for the first time, I have no photo from my interview with Roxane Gay.
MIA FREEDMAN

When you’re interviewing an international guest or someone very famous, there are always logistics to be organised.

But Roxane Gay’s requirements were different. I’d estimate there were more than a dozen exchanges back and forth between my producer and her people and the details of them both broke my heart and opened my eyes.

Roxane Gay is a college professor and the author of several books including her breakthrough best-seller from a few years ago called Bad Feminist where she writes a series of essays about the sometimes awkward collision between her proud identity as a feminist and someone who also loves Beyonce and porn and gangsta rap with lyrics that say terrible things about women.

Like all of us, she is imperfect in her beliefs and her book was such an important moment in feminism a call for feminists to be more inclusive and less focused on debating who can and can’t call themselves one.

Listen to Roxane Gay talk to Mia Freedman about her new book Hunger:

Her new book though, is far more personal.

Hunger is a memoir about Roxane Gay’s body. And I would never normally breach the confidence of what goes on behind the scenes while organising an interview but in this case, it’s a fundamental part of her story and what her book is about.

You see, Roxane Gay is…I’m searching for the right word to use here. I don’t want to say fat so I’m going to use the official medical term: super morbidly obese.

It’s not just that she’s overweight though Roxane is 6 foot 3. Or about 2m tall.

Her size is imposing and also a logistical nightmare for her. The requirements back and forth with her publishers who had brought her out to Australia to promote her books were extremely detailed.

How many steps were there from the curb to the door of the building? Were there any stairs? How many? How big was the lift and was there a goods lift? How many steps from the lift to the podcast studio? There was also a lot of talk about chairs - making sure we had one sturdy enough to both hold her weight and make sure she was comfortable.

Originally, this interview was going to be filmed in front of the office - we sometimes do this with No Filter guests who are loved and admired by the Mamamia team.

But Roxane said no. We couldn’t film her under any circumstances and she wouldn’t even have photos taken with anyone for private use.

That’s why there is no photo of Roxane and I that accompanies this podcast - the first time this has ever happened. She explains why in our interview and we talk about the difficulties involved in navigating the world at her size.

Her book, Hunger, is not a success story. As she writes, it’s not one of those happy tales that has her on the cover, thin, standing in one giant leg of her old fat pants.

It’s also not just a story about obesity. It’s an extraordinary look at what triggered her to very deliberately gain all the weight she has. It will break your heart. As I said, it broke mine.

Listen to the full interview with Roxane here:

The key to making any interview good is that your subject is comfortable and relaxed. I was anxious that Roxane would feel welcomed and accommodated without being fussed over - her imposing physical presence and her reputation for not tolerating fools meant that this was a two-fidget-spinner interview - one for her and one for me - and we both made great use of them during our conversation.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Going to see King Crimson tonight: woohoo! Favorite band EVER.

Billie from Ockham

I apologize in advance, Lsuoma, for being some sort of Nazi, but could you please switch "gazest" to "gazeth" in the title of this thread?

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

I note you can choose whether to dress on the right or on the left. What's a transgirl to do?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

We could've fed a village. Instead, we got this.
Subverting the subject position : toward a new discourse about students as writers and engineering students as technical communicators
Roxane Gay, Michigan Technological University
Date of Award

Doctor of Philosophy in Rhetoric and Technical Communication (PhD)
Department of Humanities

Abstract
There is ample evidence of a longstanding and pervasive discourse positioning students, and engineering students in particular, as “bad writers.” This is a discourse perpetuated within the academy, the workplace, and society at large. But what are the effects of this discourse? Are students aware faculty harbor the belief students can’t write? Is student writing or confidence in their writing influenced by the negative tone of the discourse? This dissertation attempts to demonstrate that a discourse disparaging student writing exists among faculty, across disciplines, but particularly within the engineering disciplines, as well as to identify the reach of that discourse through the deployment of two attitudinal surveys—one for students, across disciplines, at Michigan Technological University and one for faculty, across disciplines at universities and colleges both within the United States and internationally. This project seeks to contribute to a more accurate and productive discourse about engineering students, and more broadly, all students, as writers—one that focuses on competencies rather than incompetence, one that encourages faculty to find new ways to characterize students as writers, and encourages faculty to recognize the limits of the utility of practitioner lore.
http://digitalcommons.mtu.edu/cgi/viewc ... ntext=etds

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

Billie from Ockham wrote:I apologize in advance, Lsuoma, for being some sort of Nazi, but could you please switch "gazest" to "gazeth" in the title of this thread?
Nope. This is the Pit. We own our mistakes and do not memory hole them.

If the executive officer of the week wishes, he can submit to the special bi-weekly meeting a proposal to correct the word with the placement of an asterisk pointing to an explanatory addendum. But only if the masses concur. I will not be subject to supreme executive power derived from simply paying for and maintaining the underlying infrastructure of this site. Maybe if the FT had had a farcical aquatic ceremony....

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

HelpingHand wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:I apologize in advance, Lsuoma, for being some sort of Nazi, but could you please switch "gazest" to "gazeth" in the title of this thread?
Nope. This is the Pit. We own our mistakes and do not memory hole them.

If the executive officer of the week wishes, he can submit to the special bi-weekly meeting a proposal to correct the word with the placement of an asterisk pointing to an explanatory addendum. But only if the masses concur. I will not be subject to supreme executive power derived from simply paying for and maintaining the underlying infrastructure of this site. Maybe if the FT had had a farcical aquatic ceremony....
I'd still like an explanation of why it's incorrect (is it just some Nazi objection?).

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:We could've fed a village. Instead, we got this.
Subverting the subject position : toward a new discourse about students as writers and engineering students as technical communicators
Date of Award

Department of Humanities

Abstract
There is ample evidence of a longstanding and pervasive discourse positioning students, and engineering students in particular, as “bad writers.” This is a discourse perpetuated within the academy, the workplace, and society at large. But what are the effects of this discourse? Are students aware faculty harbor the belief students can’t write? Is student writing or confidence in their writing influenced by the negative tone of the discourse? This dissertation attempts to demonstrate that a discourse disparaging student writing exists among faculty, across disciplines, but particularly within the engineering disciplines, as well as to identify the reach of that discourse through the deployment of two attitudinal surveys—one for students, across disciplines, at Michigan Technological University and one for faculty, across disciplines at universities and colleges both within the United States and internationally. This project seeks to contribute to a more accurate and productive discourse about engineering students, and more broadly, all students, as writers—one that focuses on competencies rather than incompetence, one that encourages faculty to find new ways to characterize students as writers, and encourages faculty to recognize the limits of the utility of practitioner lore.
Maybe instead of taking a doctorate in the Philosophy in Rhetoric and Technical Communication they should have studied rhetoric and technical communication.

There's no excuse for writing a paper on bad writing badly.

Someone should post this to Pinker.
Department of Humanities

Really?

Post by Really? »

Billie from Ockham

I assumed that then open phrase was something along the lines of "if you gaze [for a] long [time]..." translated into something like KJ bilblical English. That's why I thought you wanted "gazeth" and not "gazest."

Billie from Ockham

Ah, fuck. Being a pedant and then typing "then open" for "the opening" is pretty pathetic.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

"[t]hou gazest" seems to be standard: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22thou ... e&ie=UTF-8

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

She needs to stay away from harpoons...

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Ah, fuck. Being a pedant and then typing "then open" for "the opening" is pretty pathetic.
That's Ok. You are not American, and thus a non native English speaker, so have lower expectations for you.

Kind of like women in computer science. There there, at least you tried.

Billie from Ockham

Lsuoma wrote:"[t]hou gazest" seems to be standard: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22thou ... e&ie=UTF-8
Interesting. You get as many or more when searching for "thou gazeth" but they both have clearly been used. NVM. Faith restored. Lesson learned.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

David McAfee is a complete retard. Are he and Hemant dating or something?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... od-online/

Random Lurker

Post by Random Lurker »

screwtape wrote:
I note you can choose whether to dress on the right or on the left. What's a transgirl to do?

Split the difference?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote:
If she ever visits Switzerland, someone ought to warn her not to trust the bridge signs.

So she intentionally puts on that weight, but now is touchy about her weight?

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

HelpingHand wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Ah, fuck. Being a pedant and then typing "then open" for "the opening" is pretty pathetic.
That's Ok. You are not American, and thus a non native English speaker, so have lower expectations for you.

Kind of like women in computer science. There there, at least you tried.
:lol:

That's wonderfully horrible.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:We could've fed a village. Instead, we got this.
Date of Award

Department of Humanities

Abstract
Maybe instead of taking a doctorate in the Philosophy in Rhetoric and Technical Communication they should have studied rhetoric and technical communication.

There's no excuse for writing a paper on bad writing badly.

Someone should post this to Pinker.
Department of Humanities
The abstract is shit, but the paper is written alright. It's devoid of real content, however.

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

#32 Rat wrote:
:lol:

That's wonderfully horrible.
Wow.

That's what my mom used to say.

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

Lsuoma wrote:
I hope there is a special upcharge for those jeans.

Because mine cost a fuckload (at least compared to what I payed for them in the 80's) and that is a shitload (I used fuckload already) more denim being used.

I have seen references that her weight is deliberate. Why? Did she once have a normal physique and intersectionality cause her to go full in on supporting fat acceptance? Actually, I can kind of respect that level of dedication insanity.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

HelpingHand wrote:I have seen references that her weight is deliberate. Why? Did she once have a normal physique and intersectionality cause her to go full in on supporting fat acceptance? Actually, I can kind of respect that level of dedication insanity.
Of course it is deliberate. Every shovel full of pie that entered into her mouth was placed there by her own hands.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

Apropos of Matt's Patheos adventure here is a looong article on the child in car phenomenon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html

One trick is to take a shoe off and leave it in the backseat. Blaming universal human brain wiring on moral failing is a trick I'd rather see atheists skip. (Yes, I know of course we won't.)

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

I wonder how many pitters we could fit into her jeans at one time.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

I wonder how many pitters we could fit into her jeans at one time.

Really?

Post by Really? »

HelpingHand wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
I hope there is a special upcharge for those jeans.

Because mine cost a fuckload (at least compared to what I payed for them in the 80's) and that is a shitload (I used fuckload already) more denim being used.

I have seen references that her weight is deliberate. Why? Did she once have a normal physique and intersectionality cause her to go full in on supporting fat acceptance? Actually, I can kind of respect that level of dedication insanity.
The story goes that she was gangraped at 12 and put weight on as a defense mechanism.

She's also from a very rich family and attended Exeter, which makes her the perfect person to comment on privilege. During undergrad, she left Yale and ran away out West. Her family spent tons of money on a private detective to find her. The PI eventually tranquilized her and forklifted her into a horse trailer to reunite her with her family. (I made up that last part.)

I'm annoyed that she's being held up as a paragon of sensibility and strength when she is clearly crazy as fuck.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

#32 Rat wrote:Apropos of Matt's Patheos adventure here is a looong article on the child in car phenomenon.

One trick is to take a shoe off and leave it in the backseat. Blaming universal human brain wiring on moral failing is a trick I'd rather see atheists skip. (Yes, I know of course we won't.)
1. Was this problem as prevalent when parents could keep their child in the front seat?
2. What causes a greater number of deaths? Babies in the front seat, or babies forgotten in the back seat?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

She should hook up with Human Bender:

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/en ... bender.jpg

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

And the Post article looks like it doesn't apply in this particular case. So never mind. Still like to hear the defense, if any, before leaping to conclusions.

Billie from Ockham

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:The abstract is shit, but the paper is written alright. It's devoid of real content, however.
I hate you for making me look at it. With that said, if "devoid of real content" is meant to cover the fact that it contains no inferential statistics of any kind, such that it is only descriptive of her sample, then I agree.

John D

Post by John D »

deLurch wrote:
#32 Rat wrote:Apropos of Matt's Patheos adventure here is a looong article on the child in car phenomenon.

1. Was this problem as prevalent when parents could keep their child in the front seat?
2. What causes a greater number of deaths? Babies in the front seat, or babies forgotten in the back seat?
Wow... I can totally understand if someone did this accidentally. It is obviously rare as it only happens 15 to 25 times per year. Still, have you ever thought you did something, and then discovered later that you never did it. Thankfully, I have never done this where it had severe consequences.

Regarding the safety aspect, with only 15 to 25 occurrences of this per year, I expect the rear seat law probably saves lives. Of the 15 to 25 occurrences some are not even related to the baby being in the rear seat at all.... so you need to take these out of the equation.

While on the topic of auto safety.... my pet peeve is the number of people (and States) that think we should have seat belts in buses. Buses are safer without seat belts.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

John D wrote:While on the topic of auto safety.... my pet peeve is the number of people (and States) that think we should have seat belts in buses. Buses are safer without seat belts.
Interesting. It always annoyed me that buses did not have seat belts.

Does this equally apply to both greyhound buses zooming across the interstates as it does low speed school buses?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Oh, what I came here to share. Classy science journalism!

Worm grows surprising mutation after space visit
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/worm-surpri ... ace-visit/
When the researchers amputated both of the heads from the newly twin-headed worm, the headless middle section grew back two heads. In other words, something that happened after the worm was launched into space caused its body to be "reprogrammed" to consider itself to be some sort of new two-headed species.