Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Matt Cavanaugh

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote: There will be overlap but I don't feel like making Venn diagrams.
Roxane Gay's your go-to gal for Venn diagrams:
peeta.jpg
(21.08 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

No, it makes no sense, so stop trying to make sense of it.

No, seriously, just stop.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote:
feathers wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:New from Surly Amy: This is Not the Land of the Free.

Print, $20. Misapprehension of Magritte included.

http://imgur.com/8cQT6jy.jpg
La terre?
The earth of liberty? Phil can correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like it should be pays to me.
Pays. But what did you expect from madame tete de la pomme de terre?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Correct, Lsuoma. 'Le pays de la liberté' would be more salient.

BUT, 'la terre' is also not completely wrong. When we use 'la terre', as in 'la terre de nos ancêtres', it means 'the land of our ancestors'. It still feels a bit weird when put the way Surly did.
Right, but terre is very much related to the physical location, the soil, etc. Pays is more conceptual, and is related to a polity or state. Coupling a concept like liberty with a bit of dirt is a solecism for sure.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

katamari Damassi wrote: :roll:
I'm really hoping this doesn't catch on. I've seen some push back on it, but it's virtue signaling is too easy to pass up.
They should have a rainbow stripe to represent the gender questioning.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Really? wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:PZ shoots himself in the foot again, this time the London fire:
http://archive.is/iKaVL
Can we classify capitalist exploiters as terrorists now?
Oops, it turns out the apartment was government owned and the management was a non-profit org.
Yeah, but still.
The Government is Tory so this is Theresa May's fault. A few more votes and Jeremy Corbyn would have prevented it. Fucking Brexit. And old people.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:PZ shoots himself in the foot again, this time the London fire:
http://archive.is/iKaVL
Can we classify capitalist exploiters as terrorists now?
Oops, it turns out the apartment was government owned and the management was a non-profit org.
PZ is the Kent Hovind of atheism.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:This may come in handy:

https://www.indy100.com/article/british ... om-7340446
Ginger is a swear word?

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Kirbmarc wrote: PZ is the Kent Hovind of atheism.
That has to be the best description of Myers ever :clap:

The exploding fridge story seems to have gone a bit quite now, which is starting to make me a little suspicious. I don't buy it for one moment that fridges explode by themselves but it makes me wonder what the fuck might have been in the fridge for it to explode? .. Explosives perhaps? I know I'm in danger of stereotyping here and yes Hashtag not all Muslims are terrorists and all that but it wouldn't be the first time sleeper cells and arms dumps have been found in London flats. Do explosives need to be kept cool?

Anyway just putting it out there, I'm still inclined to go down the Ramadan cooking gone wrong theory although stories of complaints toward recent power surges and outages have now come into the equation.

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Ginger is a swear word?
The worst.

[youtube][/youtube]

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:The HuffPo Honor Brigade strikes again: the hijab is totes feminist1!!!111!
Hijab is not oppression for women but a symbol of empowerment. Today, we live in a society where women are subjected to sexualisation and objectification and that’s where the hijab de-sexualises women. It gives them recognition for who they are and not for what they look like. Today, women are subjected to inferiority complexes because of what they look like or if they don’t meet the standards of beauty set by patriarchal society. The flourishing makeup industries prove that, or to be more precise, fairness creams. According to these industries, for a woman to look confident and be liked by men, she has to look good, she has to be fair, she has to be slim, etc.
Eh, the whopping majority of hijabis here are also wearing makeup- often visibly more than Danish girls.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Pharyngulites reaffirm their compassionate nature:
http://archive.is/ySumu
rpjohnston
14 June 2017 at 8:30 am
Snowflakes are shooting back.
Condemn me if you want, but after they paint a target on Giffords, shoot her, then spend years mocking her and promising to finish the job; after they’ve increased their violent hysteria year after year; after the waves of violence in the wake up Trump’s “victory”; after they murdered people in Oregon; after their national politician assaulted a reporter, and they responded with cheers and “rope. tree. journalist. some assembly required” –
I think it’s about time they started to get the message that we’re not going to lay down and die for their masturbatory macho fantasies of violent domination.
The week is reporting that Republicans were his specific target. Perhaps someone condemned – or has family condemned – by Republican healthcare destruction? Or other policies? Or maybe just cares about those condemned. Hopefully he’ll get to tell his story soon.
At any rate the sooner we can take control of the narrative soon. Laying down and agreeing with republicans that we’re terrible violent oppressive murderers who deserve to be destroyed won’t appease them, it will only hasten their violence.
Mike Smith
14 June 2017 at 11:28 am
I see What a Maroon is continuing the liberal fetishiziation of nonviolence. Bigly.
This particular incident is likely unjustified, but this kind of violence may be the only thing that saves us. The left has not reckoned with this correctly. The commonwealth is fundamentally, irrepairable broken. A non-trivial portion of the right would see millions of us dead.
Damn right violence may have a role to play.
Not by me of course.
Bottom line: the Trumpianist movement is an existential threat that has, and will, continue to use violence against people it percieves as enemies. Any political orientation that does not reconginize the necessity of violence and force as part of the response to it is doomed to fail.
liberals, with their fethisization of nonviolence and misremembering of the civil right movements, are completely worthless.
progressives are only slightly better but still to blind to face the facts.
Only the various AntiFa groups that have gotten more loud as of late are responding correctly.
To the credit of some commentators, there is some pushback to these comments.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Lsuoma wrote:
feathers wrote:La terre?
The earth of liberty? Phil can correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like it should be pays to me.
Coming from the Pays Bas, that's what I'd say.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: PZ is the Kent Hovind of atheism.
That has to be the best description of Myers ever :clap:

The exploding fridge story seems to have gone a bit quite now, which is starting to make me a little suspicious. I don't buy it for one moment that fridges explode by themselves but it makes me wonder what the fuck might have been in the fridge for it to explode? .. Explosives perhaps? I know I'm in danger of stereotyping here and yes Hashtag not all Muslims are terrorists and all that but it wouldn't be the first time sleeper cells and arms dumps have been found in London flats. Do explosives need to be kept cool?

Anyway just putting it out there, I'm still inclined to go down the Ramadan cooking gone wrong theory although stories of complaints toward recent power surges and outages have now come into the equation.
It's probably best to wait. It could have been anything.

free thoughtpolice

shoutinghorse wrote:
Do explosives need to be kept cool?
IANABM but I understand that peroxide based explosives are highly unstable and refrigeration of components or product is n advisable practice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone_peroxide
TATP and the other explosive forms of acetone peroxide belong to the few high explosives that do not contain nitrogen,[27] and so can pass undetected through explosive detection scanners designed to detect nitrogenous explosives.[28] Because of its high susceptibility to accidental detonation (and resulting "workplace accidents" in bomb-making shops), TATP has been referred to as the "Mother of Satan."[27] It is used by terrorists for its ability to evade detection aimed at nitrogenous explosives, and due to its low cost and the ease with which its precursors can be obtained.[27] It has been described in popular media as easily prepared from readily available retail ingredients, such as hair bleach and nail polish remover.[29]

TATP has been used in bomb and suicide attacks and in improvised explosive devices, including the London bombings on 7 July 2005, where four suicide bombers killed 52 people and injured more than 700.[30][31] It was one of the explosives used by the "shoe bomber" Richard Reid[31] and was used by the suicide bombers in the November 2015 Paris attacks,[29] 2016 Brussels bombings,[32] and 2017 Manchester Arena bombing.[33]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Mike Smith
14 June 2017 at 11:28 am
I see What a Maroon is continuing the liberal fetishiziation of nonviolence. Bigly.
This particular incident is likely unjustified, but this kind of violence may be the only thing that saves us. The left has not reckoned with this correctly. The commonwealth is fundamentally, irrepairable broken. A non-trivial portion of the right would see millions of us dead.
Damn right violence may have a role to play.
Not by me of course.
This one is either a troll or the funniest keyboard warrior ever. :lol:

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Rumour has it he was only caught out on his day off when the coffee was 'not up to the usual standard'.
http://imgur.com/loBxE2Ol.png

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:IANABM but I understand that peroxide based explosives are highly unstable and refrigeration of components or product is n advisable practice.
I Am Not A Ballistic Missile?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

The Skeptic replies to top ten criticisms of the Conceptual Penis hoax paper. Worth a gander.
http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/rep ... dd7e88f897

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice

I Am Not A Bomb Maker :drool: You never know who's reading.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

feathers wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:IANABM but I understand that peroxide based explosives are highly unstable and refrigeration of components or product is n advisable practice.
I Am Not A Ballistic Missile?
Bomb Maker surely? or Bank Manager?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

free thoughtpolice

Not a Bank Manager either :snooty: . I'm a decent human, honest.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Not a Bank Manager either :snooty: . I'm a decent human, honest.
Bears are bad news.

[youtube][/youtube]

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

free thoughtpolice wrote:The article at Shakesville on the shooting is pathetic. The shooter was captured alive so he must have been white( this was before he died), it's likely he had a history of domestic violence, he had anti-Trump and anti-Clinton stuff on his Facebook.
I doubt McEwen came up with this on her own, but she really pushes the mass shooters are linked to domestic violence thing. Not because-as any normal person would assume-violent men first lash out at the targets closest to them before taking their show on the road, but instead that all violence is routed in toxic masculinity and misogyny whether or not the victims are women. It's a way of claiming victim status even when the victims are men.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Correct, Lsuoma. 'Le pays de la liberté' would be more salient.

BUT, 'la terre' is also not completely wrong. When we use 'la terre', as in 'la terre de nos ancêtres', it means 'the land of our ancestors'. It still feels a bit weird when put the way Surly did.
Does 'la liberté' really translate as 'the Free' (i.e., the group of people who are free) -- or just as 'freedom'?

Guest_440911e7

Post by Guest_440911e7 »

Kirbmarc wrote: Compare and contrast with this recent article:

pbs.twimg com/media/DCS2YmEWAAAAG2R.jpg:large

The level of political polarization in the US has produced calls for violence. Now there's violence. Time to dial back on the calls for violence, I think.
The journalist from that second image that defended violence against Trump has been tweeting...
Well since so many people are stupid idiots and Jesse is Jewish, he's been getting a shit ton of anti-semitic tweets, and retweeting them, so I guess he'll be able to take the moral high ground on any article that writes includes him.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

White male privilege

http://i.imgur.com/01pWtca.png

Really?

Post by Really? »

shoutinghorse wrote:White male privilege

http://i.imgur.com/01pWtca.png
The sexist media won't even take pictures of the brave firewomen who are doing their duty standing at the police cordon to make sure people don't accidentally walk into the flaming building without noticing the inferno and billowing smoke.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Are they cloning firefighters now?

Because by the looks of those three guys behind the tree on the left - the cat is out of the bag.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Guest_440911e7 wrote:The journalist from that second image that defended violence against Trump has been tweeting...
Well since so many people are stupid idiots and Jesse is Jewish, he's been getting a shit ton of anti-semitic tweets, and retweeting them, so I guess he'll be able to take the moral high ground on any article that writes includes him.
So many people are idiots, including Jesse, the HuffPo blogger who thinks he's Lenin.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Guest_440911e7 wrote:

Ultimately it boils down to time management.

As Jesse Benn will find out soon enough should the FBI or his local police department take an interest in him.

Stankeye

Post by Stankeye »

Apparently there is a blog that has been blogging about the deficiencies of the (Grenfell Tower) building in London.
https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.c ... ower-fire/

Interesting back story to say the least.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:
Guest_440911e7 wrote:

Ultimately it boils down to time management.

As Jesse Benn will find out soon enough should the FBI or his local police department take an interest in him.
I don't think that the FBI or the police should be interested in him. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his job over this, though. Nobody wants to be associated with someone who justifies attempted murders.

free thoughtpolice

Bears are bad news.
They're just mauling up.

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Not a Bank Manager either :snooty: . I'm a decent human, honest.
I Am Not A Bear, Man!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Bears are bad news.
They're just mauling up.
https://media.giphy.com/media/dOJt6XZlQw8qQ/giphy.gif

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Sulman wrote:Rumour has it he was only caught out on his day off when the coffee was 'not up to the usual standard'.
http://imgur.com/loBxE2Ol.png
He must have seen this classic.

[youtube][/youtube]

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

So is 'Jason King' worth watching?

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Copyright probs, try this one instead.

[youtube][/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

dogen wrote:

Does 'la liberté' really translate as 'the Free' (i.e., the group of people who are free) -- or just as 'freedom'?
Freedom. As in our motto Liberté Egalité Fraternité (BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Free Eagles Bro

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Lsuoma wrote:
feathers wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:New from Surly Amy: This is Not the Land of the Free.

Print, $20. Misapprehension of Magritte included.

http://imgur.com/8cQT6jy.jpg
La terre?
And isn't "liberte" freedom, rather than "the free" meaning the people of that country?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

:nin: 'ed

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
dogen wrote:

Freedom. As in our motto Liberté Egalité Fraternité (BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!)
Or the motto we went to France under last Summer:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkgP-HnWUAAsJ3K.jpg:large

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Serious question:

So far, what policies that can truly be deemed fascist or oppressive to minorities have been put into action since Trump was elected? or is it just another brain-wanking exaggeration by morons who want to paint themselves as the next Che?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

This trumpet is not the dirt of the freedom.

We're talking about Surly Amy here. Who painted a space avocado. A forty-year-old woman who plasters the walls of her room with "Amy" signs. Who covers desiccated dog turds with badly-traced rhinos and calls it jewelry. Her Dunning-Kruger is immense enough for her to think herself fluent in French, so no need to proof her copy before going to press.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:This trumpet is not the dirt of the freedom.

We're talking about Surly Amy here. Who painted a space avocado. A forty-year-old woman who plasters the walls of her room with "Amy" signs. Who covers desiccated dog turds with badly-traced rhinos and calls it jewelry. Her Dunning-Kruger is immense enough for her to think herself fluent in French, so no need to proof her copy before going to press.
I'm wondering how that trumpet piece passed peer review.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Easy: try and imagine Amy's "peers"...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I have never before seen three consecutive posts from PZ that highlight how small and nasty he is.

1. Victim blaming the shot republicans for lack of gun control "poetic (in)justice"
2. Having studiously ignored Islam terror he decides capitalists are the real terrorists (London fire)
3. He then exorts his clown posse that it's time to "kill" trumpcare.

Fuck me. I wonder how many parents know they are spending up sending their kids his way?

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:This trumpet is not the dirt of the freedom.

The poor love, have a heart, looks like bessie mate Becky still hasn't forgiven her for not de-friending Adam.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Serious question:

So far, what policies that can truly be deemed fascist or oppressive to minorities have been put into action since Trump was elected? or is it just another brain-wanking exaggeration by morons who want to paint themselves as the next Che?
I'd lean toward the latter. I think that Trump has enacted a lot of stupid, badly thought out, counterproductive policies, from the travel ban (which was terribly written, terribly applied, and didn't deal with the issues of islam in a rational way) to the infamous Saudi deal, to gutting the ACA, to cutting funds for charities in Africa that are pro-abortion (like every GOP president has done so far) to acting like a complete moron who can't keep his mouth shut about his (inconsistent and stupid) foreign policy.

I think he's a bumbling moron, a con man who's tricked people into believing he was going to "drain the swamp" when he's doing anything but, a bombastic narcissist. It's likely that he made some shady deals with his cronies, possibly involving Russia, possibly violating laws, but it's also possible he's a dupe who doesn't get that what he's doing violates protocols and maybe laws.

However in terms of policies, not of backroom deals,he's not done anything worse than what has been done before by other US presidents. The travel ban was terrible but a) it was based off a list of countries to which Obama wanted to restrict visas and b) it was peanuts compared to what Franklin Delano Roosvelt did to the Japanese in WWII, and FDR is still an American Hero. The stupid foreign policy isn't much stupider than Dubya's plans. Every GOP president was going to gut the ACA, or cut funds to charities which support abortion. And all presidents, Dems or Reps, have done deals with the KSA.

I think Trump is more dangerous for his habit to get into petty fights and to never shut up when he really should than as the first goosesteps towards the Fourth Reich. He also could damage the US by privileging his backdoor deals, with Russia and others, to a coherent foreign policy. He loves outrage and the spotlight, so he could continue clogging US politics with his idiocy to troll his critics and stir shit to distract people from his failures.

But he's no fascist, he's no Nazi, just a fake tan moron who sold bullshit and now doesn't know what the hell he should do. Luckily for him he has the equally idiotic SocJus Brigade among his critics, with their raw insanity about "a fascist America".

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Hey Phil what's the French for "This is not worth your money"?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Caveat emptor

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Sunder wrote:Hey Phil what's the French for "This is not worth your money"?
I'd say "ça vaut pas le coup" (it's not worth it). But simpler would be "c'est de la merde".

Guest_440911e7

Post by Guest_440911e7 »

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

Isn't the trumpet of freedom learning to read?

What the hell is she even referencing? Why french?

Overthinking a plate of beans.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

#32 Rat wrote:Isn't the trumpet of freedom learning to read?

What the hell is she even referencing? Why french?

Overthinking a plate of beans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

#32 Rat

Post by #32 Rat »

Referencing besides "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" obviously.

But, trumpets and land of the free?