Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
KiwiInOz

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by KiwiInOz »

Brive1987 wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:I'm off for a walk around tropical Cairns, so no more climate change stuff from me (for a while). I'm just glad I'm not an Israeli wanting my nose pierced.
Hope it's not low tide.

That said, I'm trying to convince my wife that Palm Cove, aircon, pool and indoor/outdoor entertaining would = a fine retirement.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... 48-h328-nc
Yep. I'm on croc watch. Was going to go for a swim in the lagoon, but it's raining. Damn that changing weather.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

[youtube][/youtube]

regna

Post by regna »

AndrewV69 wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:re Chelsea & Godfrey

I remember being disappointed in Doctorow. The guy who wrote For the Win and Little Brother not only did not support #GamerGate, he came down on the wrong side of it.

It is not as bad as finding out about Marrion Zimmer Bradly for example but it is enough to taint all of his books for me. To the point where not only do I not want to reread them, I probably will never read any new ones.
People like Doctorow are constitutionally incapable of resisting an argument if it's framed in progressive terms about "violence against women" or "harrassment of women." . Anita Sarkeesian simply took all Jack Thomson's talking points and reframed them in feminist progressive terms and had the progressive wing of the Internet rolling over in submission. White knighting is the male progressive's kryptonite and overrides any previous commitments.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

KiwiInOz wrote: You also mentioned something earlier about the Turkish glaciers being a buffer and that it will still keep precipitating so no worries, and you throw about words like dynamical systems, but don't seem to understand the implications.

The glacier, as a stock of ice (a state variable if you like) is a buffer in that it decouples the inflow (precipitation) from the outflow (melting) in both space and time. The stock of ice grows if the rate of precipitation (and compaction/freezing) is greater than the rate of melting. There are likely to be seasonal patterns of glacier growth and glacier loss, but a general dynamic equilibrium occurs over the decades in typical conditions.

Now, under warming conditions there are likely to be increases in the rate, extent or timing of precipitation (possibly, but not necessarily in this location) and increases in the rate of melting. Note that precipitation (increased or not) that is not compacting and freezing will also increase the rate of melt. In this situation the outflows are greater than the inflows required for glacier replenishment, and the glacier (stock) starts to diminish.

Loss of the glacier means that there will no longer be a buffer between precipitation and river flow. Some of the implications are:

Increased flooding due to increased melt (prior to complete loss), leading to impacts on infrastructure, agricultural land, etc
Changed seasonal patterns of flow affecting agriculture, urban water supply, fish triggers for breeding, etc (previously moderated by existence of the glacier)
Increased likelihood of minimum and maximum flows (previously moderated by existence of the glacier)
Exacerbation of geopolitical tensions
Etc etc
Did you even read my post? Or did you read a couple of sentences and try to fill in what my opinion was and respond to that. You've basically restated parts of what I said, and misstated other parts. I mentioned how the action of the glacier as a buffer manifests itself. I most definitely did not say or imply "no worries", I said there was definitely room for concern, but we just don't know the outcome with sufficient confidence yet:
jugheadnaut wrote:There could easily be some issues. Without the glacier acting as a buffer, there may be greater seasonal variation in the flow of the rivers, and the river system may be more susceptible to drought. There may be no significant problem, small but manageable problems, or serious problems. We just don't know at this point.
KiwiInOZ wrote: You realise that there are a whole lot of sub systems nested within the global system, don't you? The El Nino system, for example, is one of those. You should also realise that the global mass energy balance is increasing, which means that you will see this oscillation of systems like these lie on an upwards temperature trend. Even detrended, you will see a rise in the minimum and maximum temperatures.
]
What does El Nino/ENSO have to do with anthropogenic climate change? You wanted some red herring with your imagined cherries? It's a natural variation that isn't completely understood at this point but no link to atmospheric CO2 has been established. It's true that global warming will add energy to the system, but it's also true that the same models that show warming also show that warming will disproportionately manifest itself at higher latitudes, at winter and at night, so global warming is also to some extent global temperature evening. Many weather systems have more to do with temperature gradients rather than just raw temperature, so with reduced gradients, there is a mechanism for less severe weather. This can lead to some interesting forecasts. For instance, it's a fairly widespread belief right now that global warming will result in fewer hurricanes (due to lower latitudinal temperature gradients), but an increase in the ferocity of the hurricanes that do form (due to higher ocean temperatures), although I don't think this has been firmly established. The bottom line is this is a highly complex system and we just don't know outcomes with any reasonable confidence right now. Simplistic, weak-minded arguments like "the global mass energy balance is increasing", therefore extremes of weather will increase, therefore something must be done, don't cut it.
KiwiInOz wrote:Reason enough to be concerned here, even if this wasn't happening all across the world.
I think I've been clear that I agree there's reason for concern in almost all the climate change areas I've been discussing. If things could be fixed just by everybody driving Priuses and using high efficiency LED light bulbs, I would say let's find a way to make it happen. But is that would not change things significantly. If, indeed, at current trends of CO2 emissions we're headed for catastrophic climate change in the next century, the only way to hope to avert it is with massive reductions in CO2 emissions over the next couple of decades, probably approaching 80%. I think people underestimate just how much economic havoc this would cause, and that it would actually leave mankind with diminished capacity to deal with these issues in the future. The evidence required to go down this road is hugely insufficient, in my opinion. As I've stated, in theory I do support a small but malleable carbon tax to provide an economic infrastructure to reduce CO2 and incentivize non-carbon based energy, but the current hyperbolic, toxic and dysfunctional nature of the debate leads me to believe that this will do more harm than good at the present time.

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

I don't understand Aneris's claims of entry-ism in the far right.

People are just having fun with green frogs like here. I see nothing wrong.

-Soylent

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Brive1987 wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Fucking bicycles ... I hate fucking bicycles.
This man would disagree.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... n8fZPrlxD-
So would this woman.
http://www.nudeautomall.com/CarShow/Uni ... Bike_2.jpg

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guest_84d94f98 wrote:I don't understand Aneris's claims of entry-ism in the far right.

People are just having fun with green frogs like here. I see nothing wrong.

-Soylent
There's absolutely no way that anyone was just fucking with the insane regressive left, who flip the fuck out and assault people whenever someone brings up Pepe. All they were doing was demanding that you chant their dogma repeatedly for four years. Why would anyone say shit purely for some sick joy they derive from crazy people shitting their pants when you do it?

[youtube][/youtube]

No, there was no one in the entire country who laughed their asses off when a presidential candidate and all of her sycophants said with 100% sincerity that a cartoon frog meme was a symbol of white supremacy. Not to mention the simple act of drinking milk! That's white supremacy, too! Thanks, Mic, for letting us know about the milky Fourth Reich.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/feed/don ... explainer/

If you think about it, the same people who are letting us know about the white supremacy fascism of Pepe and milk drinking are the same ones who exposed the rampant rape at atheist conventions.

Maybe they were right all along. Maybe we need to take a long look in the mirror to understand why we say what we say on the Pit.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Jugheadnaut - Will have to get back to you on this tomorrow. Am on phone only for the rest of today. Will agree on some points, disagree on others, apologise if I have misrepresented what you have said, and tell you to fuck off where I haven't. Ok?

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

The curious case of Lauren Southern the alt-righter
  • never claimed to be alt-right.
  • No mention about it on her wiki.
  • rational wiki does not even try to make the claim directly.
  • has no video about the alt-right on her youtube channel.
  • is invited to the "what went wrong with the alt-right" Spike podcast not as an insider but as someone who "dealt with them" in the past because she sympathize for some of their views like anti-sjw, anti-feminist, cultural marxism and to an extend nationalism (minus the white part).
  • Gave an hour long interview to Dave Rubin without talking about it.
  • changed her mind about some alt-righters making shitpost jew jokes only ironically following a Twitter argument with Cathy Young.
  • alt-righters does not seem to consider her alt-right even if most like her.
  • was a reporter for Ezra Levant right wing Rebel Media who in my mind flirted with them at times on social media but they're not alt-right at all. They published videos calling them idiots and being the same as SJW when it comes to identity politics.
There must be someone out there with a tiny shred a credibility in the public eye who clearly say that Lauren is alt-right?

Yes! Vice, media matters and SPLC. Worth mentioning: HuffPo said she's a alt-right heroine but does not make any claim about her being one of them.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Fan, meet incoming shit. :shock:

[youtube][/youtube]

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:The curious case of Lauren Southern the alt-righter
  • is invited to the "what went wrong with the alt-right" Spike podcast not as an insider but as someone who "dealt with them" in the past because she sympathize for some of their views like anti-sjw, anti-feminist, cultural marxism and to an extend nationalism (minus the white part).
  • changed her mind about some alt-righters making shitpost jew jokes only ironically following a Twitter argument with Cathy Young.
  • was a reporter for Ezra Levant right wing Rebel Media who in my mind flirted with them at times on social media but they're not alt-right at all. They published videos calling them idiots and being the same as SJW when it comes to identity politics.
There must be someone out there with a tiny shred a credibility in the public eye who clearly say that Lauren is alt-right?

Yes! Vice, media matters and SPLC. Worth mentioning: HuffPo said she's a alt-right heroine but does not make any claim about her being one of them.
No surprise to see the SPLC in that list. If the SPLC is good at one thing it would be building up scary "hate group" boogie men with which to raise huge amounts of money. They'll never pass up a chance to make a right wing group or movement seem more menacing or extensive even if they have to make dubious claims to do so.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Frankly, I think those of us who are criticizing him need to pause and wonder why we're criticizing a transman. I guess the Pit just hates transpeople. It's hate speech, really. Maybe Rational Wiki and the vaunted Daily Dot and similar totally legitimate publications are right.

[youtube][/youtube]

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Old_ones wrote:

No surprise to see the SPLC in that list. If the SPLC is good at one thing it would be building up scary "hate group" boogie men with which to raise huge amounts of money. They'll never pass up a chance to make a right wing group or movement seem more menacing or extensive even if they have to make dubious claims to do so.
Which is starting to become familiar close to home. For some reason.

Guest_440911e7

Post by Guest_440911e7 »

I don't understand the joke in this tweet, and if someone could explain it I would appreciate it.

I do think some of you all will enjoy this act introduced by Bill Nye.

It's from his new Netflix show -- I will be genuinely disappointed if there are no skepchicks or freethoughtbloggers on it.

wikipedia org/wiki/Bill_Nye_Saves_the_World
Bill Nye Saves the World is an American talk show hosted by Bill Nye.[1] The series focuses on science, and will investigate its relationship with politics, pop culture, and society.[2] The first season explores topics such as climate change, alternative medicine, video games, and sex from a scientific point of view, whilst also refuting myths and anti-scientific claims.[3] Though the TV show is hosted by Nye, five correspondents assist in the presentation of the show. These include fashion model Karlie Kloss, science YouTuber and educator Derek Muller, comedian Nazeem Hussain, comedian and writer Joanna Hausmann, and the TV host and producer Emily Calandrelli.[4][5] The show also features guest appearances from Zach Braff, Desiigner, Donald Faison, Rachel Bloom, Gus Sorola, Geoff Ramsey, Joel McHale, Wil Wheaton, Jonna Mae[6], Steve Aoki, and Tim Gunn.[3] The thirteen-episode series premiered on April 21, 2017.[3] The show's theme song was produced by Tyler, the Creator.[7]

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guest_440911e7 wrote: I don't understand the joke in this tweet, and if someone could explain it I would appreciate it.

I do think some of you all will enjoy this act introduced by Bill Nye.

It's from his new Netflix show -- I will be genuinely disappointed if there are no skepchicks or freethoughtbloggers on it.

wikipedia org/wiki/Bill_Nye_Saves_the_World
Bill Nye Saves the World is an American talk show hosted by Bill Nye.[1] The series focuses on science, and will investigate its relationship with politics, pop culture, and society.[2] The first season explores topics such as climate change, alternative medicine, video games, and sex from a scientific point of view, whilst also refuting myths and anti-scientific claims.[3] Though the TV show is hosted by Nye, five correspondents assist in the presentation of the show. These include fashion model Karlie Kloss, science YouTuber and educator Derek Muller, comedian Nazeem Hussain, comedian and writer Joanna Hausmann, and the TV host and producer Emily Calandrelli.[4][5] The show also features guest appearances from Zach Braff, Desiigner, Donald Faison, Rachel Bloom, Gus Sorola, Geoff Ramsey, Joel McHale, Wil Wheaton, Jonna Mae[6], Steve Aoki, and Tim Gunn.[3] The thirteen-episode series premiered on April 21, 2017.[3] The show's theme song was produced by Tyler, the Creator.[7]
Noted conference harasser (according to his imgur feed) Phil Plait, certified SJW mangina and friend of Beckybooze, is one of the main writers of the show.

I refuse to watch the show, but I am guessing the mention of the Weimar Republic is an intimation that Nye is a Nazi of some kind. He was recently criticized for having been born a white male and not retroactively addressing that fact.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Old_ones wrote:

Which is starting to become familiar close to home. For some reason.
I could see that being said about either exaggerations in the the dangers and extent of SJWism, or the dangers and extent of Islamism, but I'm curious what specifically you mean. One or both of those, or something else?

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Ha! Never mind. I'm pretty sure I know what you meant now. Brain fart.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

DaveDodo007 wrote:
It goes deeper than you could ever imagine.

http://i.4cdn.org/pol/1492991238023.png
Well Dave - I know that you identify as conservative - and over the past couple of years, I find myself having more sympathy for the conservative (or at least libertarian) viewpoints.

Perhaps you would be able to point me towards a book or even youtube video that lays down the basics of the conservative principles that form your worldview - with respect to politics or social issues at least.

If not - no bother - some things you just have to figure out for yourself

[youtube][/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Really? wrote:
Noted conference harasser (according to his imgur feed) Phil Plait, certified SJW mangina and friend of Beckybooze, is one of the main writers of the show.
There is firming evidence that Plait was a second grabber of Pam's grassy knoll.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Maybe Bernie Sanders is secretly a nazi too:
:think:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

People seem to have a difficult time separating the right to free speech from the content of said speech when people actually start talking.

I wonder how they would defend themselves if someone took issue something they said and told them to shut up. What is the principle under which they would give themselves the right to speak but deny the same right to others?

I'm sure it has something to do with cis white males traditionally having a monopoly on power - but such arguments ring hollow to me.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:People seem to have a difficult time separating the right to free speech from the content of said speech when people actually start talking.

I wonder how they would defend themselves if someone took issue something they said and told them to shut up. What is the principle under which they would give themselves the right to speak but deny the same right to others?
With the same old excuse: their opponents' ideas are so extremely harmful than by letting them speak you're enabling violence and harm, while their opinions are harmless. It works for every idea, and everyone is convinced that their side is in the right.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Alt-right is one of those identity terms that describes how you see an opponent. I doubt Southern would answer to it any more than PZ stands when called regressive-left.

That said "regressive-left" has the advantage of being an accurately descriptive term of considerable value.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Did anyone see this particular stone cast in the youtube pond?

[youtube][/youtube]

reponse vids will be forth (or perhaps even pre-) coming, I'm sure.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:Hey Ape.

You have an admirer.

http://i.imgur.com/C0DZsLN.jpg
Sounds like a Frisian, Dieuwert Wubbe.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Keating wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:I was reading the free online selection of Lauren Southern's book. Having watched all the recent docos on white nationalism I fear I am being ultra wary. If you replace her "western" culture with "white" the message begins to sounds uncomfortably familiar.

Is it possible, in RL activism, to separate race from western culture? I hope so. Maybe I should buy the thing and actually read it.
I saw this book review that didn't give it high marks:

[.youtube][/youtube]

Thanks, but too late.

I'm .......

:o

going to make my own mind up about her. At the bargain price of $6.95

http://i.imgur.com/UQ1VC5J.jpg

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Whoever was consulted for the book - personifies that quote from Spinal Tap

"There's a thin line between clever and stupid"

Southern appears to me modelling herself as Ann Coulter 2.0 for the millennial set.

On the other hand she is 21 years old and this is her first book - so I am not going to judge too harshly.

Let us know what you think Brive.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Brive1987 wrote:
US Marshal special forces, ATF assault commandos and FBI 'see and shoot' ROE were not the Federals Govt's shining moment.
Today I read the wikipedia entry on Ruby Ridge. The parts I found harrowing were the accumulation of minutiae into deadly bureaucratic momentum. A neighbor who lost a land dispute wrote a poison pen letter claiming Weaver threatened to kill the president, pope & governor. Weaver wrote a letter to the US president-- saying any threats he received appearing to come from Weaver-- were fakes. Weaver's letter to clear his name was used against-him as supposed evidence of his dangerous extremism. The govt also sent him a notice of his january court date-- with the date listed as march. Then, ignoring a judge saying they should wait & see if he attended the march date-- before concluding he intentionally skipped court... the govt instead posed as broken-down motorists & arrested Weaver. Many other such paper-shuffling screw-ups are listed in the wikipedia entry.

Basically, I'd be approximately as guilty looking as Weaver, if equally incompetent Feds took-seriously Aneris's claim Im a neo-nazi/ or my known association with one Pepe T. Frog/ or my affinity for the Insane Clown Posse organized crime syndicate. ...Combined with the bench warrents for imaginary crimes... which Ive been unablle to clear from my record.

Scary.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

MarcusAu wrote:Whoever was consulted for the book - personifies that quote from Spinal Tap

"There's a thin line between clever and stupid"

Southern appears to me modelling herself as Ann Coulter 2.0 for the millennial set.

On the other hand she is 21 years old and this is her first book - so I am not going to judge too harshly.

Let us know what you think Brive.
Yeah, Lauren Southern is flux, as she should be. Shouldnt have All The Answers, yet. Like when she took a Women's Studies course & ...after a few sessions... found it to be less egregious than she expected. It's cool she admitted it, rather than stick to her preconceptions.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Weaver's big mistake was to be poor enough that he fell for an entrapment - Feds asked him to saw off shotguns for cash.

At that point he became a performance review KPI for the taking.

Done with Lauren's first chapter. Let's just say, as a preliminary observation, ...... the folky annecdote style is ..... umm ..... a change from my course readings ......

Chapter two, here I come.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

[youtube][/youtube]
MarcusAu wrote:Did anyone see this particular stone cast in the youtube pond?

[youtube][/youtube]

Paul Elam's two response videos both struck out, I think.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Really? wrote:
Christ Becky missed an opportunity there didn't she?? .. She is a "Science Communicator" after all, one would have thought that gig would have been right up her street, Plait could well now end up on her black list of ex friends.

Talking of Becky's friends. Some were spotted at the SF Science march. .. and it wasn't raining. :shhh:

http://i.imgur.com/bVhJmzY.png

feathers

Post by feathers »

Ape+lust wrote:Fuck me :lol:
Is that a proposal along the lines of drill sergeant Hartman's?

feathers

Post by feathers »

AndrewV69 wrote:I remember being disappointed in Doctorow. The guy who wrote For the Win and Little Brother not only did not support #GamerGate, he came down on the wrong side of it.

It is not as bad as finding out about Marrion Zimmer Bradly for example but it is enough to taint all of his books for me. To the point where not only do I not want to reread them, I probably will never read any new ones.
That's just as silly as not reading Orson Scott Card because he's a homophobe, or appreciating Adolf Hitler's paintings because he slashed a couple of jews.

Well ok perhaps not that last one.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

AndrewV69 wrote:I remember being disappointed in Doctorow. The guy who wrote For the Win and Little Brother not only did not support #GamerGate, he came down on the wrong side of it.
For the Win was a shitfestival. Someone said I wrote like him once and I read it and then I hated myself. It's such a fucking try hard festival full of "diversity" shit who are all pretty much the same character in different skins.

/bookreview

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:They've been fishing for cod off Cape Cod for the past 400 years. Now nearly all the cod have disappeared or migrated to Norway.
All Trump's fault.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:I was reading the free online selection of Lauren Southern's book. Having watched all the recent docos on white nationalism I fear I am being ultra wary. If you replace her "western" culture with "white" the message begins to sounds uncomfortably familiar.

Is it possible, in RL activism, to separate race from western culture? I hope so. Maybe I should buy the thing and actually read it.
There is certainly is a correct and justifiable way to defend "Western culture", i.e. its value for freedom of speech/expression, secularism, push for science, capitalism (or mixed market approach), equal rights, and even feminism (but not 3rd wave po-mo BS), liberalism, etc.

I don't know enough about Lauren to know what angle she approaches it from.
Pretty much from that angle. She's strongly anti SJW and anti Islam. I've been a fan for a while. As usual I don't agree with her 100% of the time but a lot of the time. She's also been very good at exposing the stupidity of SJWs. Her views like most have swung more right the more she's been exposed to the shittery of SJWs.

She is also a man, as it happens.

Until the 90s I'd say western culture was the best culture. However the atheist schism demonstrated to me that I don't think humans as a whole are really ready for freedom. Watching PZ who I'd then respected start to go fucking mental psycho was a wonderful wake up call.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

rayshul wrote:

Lauren Southern is a man ???? ... Good Grief :o

http://i.imgur.com/rf7GoQE.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

An outspoken Maldives blogger who challenged radical islamism has been killed

The New York Times may actually shed some light on the matter for once (kudos for them, hopefully others will follow):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-KoyCnWAAEaoko.jpg:large

It's not just the Maldives, of course. Saudi Arabia has spread the mental virus of Salafism in every Sunni muslim community they could get their grubby paws on. Finally someone is starting to notice it and point it out.

Ideally "western" liberal democracies will one day stop allying themselves with the Saudis and other GCC countries. At least one can hope, because as of right now "western" liberal democracy seem to think that the Great Satan is only Iran, or maybe Putin and Assad.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

feathers wrote:

That's just as silly as not reading Orson Scott Card because he's a homophobe, or appreciating Adolf Hitler's paintings because he slashed a couple of jews.

Well ok perhaps not that last one.
I do agree it is silly. You should be able to separate the artist and the art. For some reason I am unable to do that.

However,

Do not expect me either to lie about it or apologize about it.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Can't you do both?

feathers

Post by feathers »

shoutinghorse wrote:
rayshul wrote:She is also a man, as it happens.

I'm gay! I'm gay!

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

There's a great moment in a talk with her and a SJW where she interrupts some ranting cunt and is like, "Did you just assume my gender, I'm a man," and it's beautiful.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

shoutinghorse wrote:
rayshul wrote:

Is he planning to get the addadictomy?

https://lovelace-media.imgix.net/upload ... 752cbd.gif

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

shoutinghorse wrote:
rayshul wrote: She is also a man, as it happens.
https://i.imgur.com/rf7GoQE.jpg
Yes. His real first name is Tucker.

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

-Soylent

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Ape+lust wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:Best of luck Ape+Lust

Hoping that any resultant personality change should it occur is for the better.

Thank you, Marcus :D

Makes me wonder if there ever was an instance where a guy stuck a blasting cap in his ear and it made him nicer. Where a detestable prick was suddenly doing the dishes and using his lunch money to feed stray animals?
[youtube][/youtube]

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

"4 ways to land a last-minute bump in financial aid"
https://cbsnews.com/news/4-ways-to-land ... ncial-aid/

Don't bother reading the article. The big question is that it is the current year. Why aren't people just self identifying as gender queer black women? They are all social constructs, so why not take the discount?

-Soylent

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

d4m10n wrote:The most sympathetic doco I've seen so far was the one with Jon Ronson

[youtube][/youtube]
Thanks. That was interesting. I had never heard of that incident before. I guess I was rather busy at that time in my life doing other things. And it helps to explains the government crackdown conspiracy nuts.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Service Dog wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
MarcusAu wrote:Did anyone see this particular stone cast in the youtube pond?

[youtube][/youtube]

Paul Elam's two response videos both struck out, I think.
Doctor Randomercam makes some useful points in his partial response:-

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Is Lauren's book better than CJ Werleman's "The New Atheist Threat".

Lol.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Is Lauren's book better than CJ Werleman's "The New Atheist Threat".

Lol.
Well as far we know now for better or for worse Southern has actually written her book. In Werleman's case there's room to doubt this.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ is losing his shit over police.

No not the murder of an unarmed cop in London.
No not the execution by assault rifle in Paris.

Nope. It's a cop drawing his gun on a bunch of black kids but not using it.

But the fucker scared them. And for that they get a post ... post haste.
Fire these cops.

Five twelve-year-old kids walking home from a basketball game; a policeman pulls up, opens his car door, and immediately pulls a gun on them and tells them to get on the ground. Nobody gets shot this time, fortunately, but it’s hard to watch — those poor kids are initially confused, and then terrified, and you get to hear them crying and wailing in fear as the brave police officer calmly and politely threatens them with death.

The kids were in the “wrong place at the wrong time”. They tell a distraught parent afterwards “you have to understand our position as well”. Yeah, I understand your position very well, you cowardly motherfucker: you are confident that you have the right to use deadly force against unarmed children, if you even have the slightest suspicion that they might be “bad guys”. They were “just doing their job”. They completely fail to understand the perspective of others. One mother summarizes the situation perfectly: “Y’all didn’t see a gun but y’all pulled a gun on my kids”. The earnest certainty of the police officers is galling — they absolutely think they are in the right, but they threatened children with a gun.

Treat these cops the same way they would be treated if they pulled this shit on white kids in a white suburban neighborhood — you know they’d be off the force in a flash, and the chief of police would be getting savaged in the press for incompetent management.

This is unacceptable.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Kirbmarc wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Is Lauren's book better than CJ Werleman's "The New Atheist Threat".

Lol.
Well as far we know now for better or for worse Southern has actually written her book. In Werleman's case there's room to doubt this.
Well, I managed to track down a review - so it probably exists in some form (even if it is self-published).

https://www.gspellchecker.com/2015/09/b ... -werleman/

John D

Post by John D »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ is losing his shit over police.

No not the murder of an unarmed cop in London.
No not the execution by assault rifle in Paris.

Nope. It's a cop drawing his gun on a bunch of black kids but not using it.

But the fucker scared them. And for that they get a post ... post haste.
Fire these cops.

Five twelve-year-old kids walking home from a basketball game; a policeman pulls up, opens his car door, and immediately pulls a gun on them and tells them to get on the ground. Nobody gets shot this time, fortunately, but it’s hard to watch — those poor kids are initially confused, and then terrified, and you get to hear them crying and wailing in fear as the brave police officer calmly and politely threatens them with death.

The kids were in the “wrong place at the wrong time”. They tell a distraught parent afterwards “you have to understand our position as well”. Yeah, I understand your position very well, you cowardly motherfucker: you are confident that you have the right to use deadly force against unarmed children, if you even have the slightest suspicion that they might be “bad guys”. They were “just doing their job”. They completely fail to understand the perspective of others. One mother summarizes the situation perfectly: “Y’all didn’t see a gun but y’all pulled a gun on my kids”. The earnest certainty of the police officers is galling — they absolutely think they are in the right, but they threatened children with a gun.

Treat these cops the same way they would be treated if they pulled this shit on white kids in a white suburban neighborhood — you know they’d be off the force in a flash, and the chief of police would be getting savaged in the press for incompetent management.

This is unacceptable.
Holy Peezus Christ!

What a fucking dumbass. I think these fucking commies should spend a month living at 5 Mile and Gratiot in Detroit so they can figure out how shit really works. Fucker living in his peaceful white-bhoy enclave thinks he can tell everyone else what's going down.

Now... I live in my own white-bhoy enclave. You bet. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to live in a nice part of town. But.... I don't have the fucking temerity to try to tell the cops how polite they should be to a bunch of kids "hanging out" on the street.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Service Dog wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
US Marshal special forces, ATF assault commandos and FBI 'see and shoot' ROE were not the Federals Govt's shining moment.
Today I read the wikipedia entry on Ruby Ridge. The parts I found harrowing were the accumulation of minutiae into deadly bureaucratic momentum. A neighbor who lost a land dispute wrote a poison pen letter claiming Weaver threatened to kill the president, pope & governor. Weaver wrote a letter to the US president-- saying any threats he received appearing to come from Weaver-- were fakes. Weaver's letter to clear his name was used against-him as supposed evidence of his dangerous extremism. The govt also sent him a notice of his january court date-- with the date listed as march. Then, ignoring a judge saying they should wait & see if he attended the march date-- before concluding he intentionally skipped court... the govt instead posed as broken-down motorists & arrested Weaver. Many other such paper-shuffling screw-ups are listed in the wikipedia entry.

Basically, I'd be approximately as guilty looking as Weaver, if equally incompetent Feds took-seriously Aneris's claim Im a neo-nazi/ or my known association with one Pepe T. Frog/ or my affinity for the Insane Clown Posse organized crime syndicate. ...Combined with the bench warrents for imaginary crimes... which Ive been unablle to clear from my record.

Scary.
Did the entry have anything about the Feds squeezing weaver to become an informant for them?

Apparently they had a "friend " ask weaver to modify a shotgun ( make it a sawed off) which weaver did for him.( this was an illegal modification to the gun, although many folks use such a gun for home and self defense, it's fairly common, hardly a federal matter) they then arrested weaver and charged him. They wanted leverage to get him to spy on a white supremacist group.( I believe it was Aryan nation) Things spun out of control from there.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Remember how that antifa dickhead tried to kill a defenseless man with a deadly weapon?

https://darktriadman.com/wp-content/upl ... 5HbfUh.jpg

Here's what Dan Arel thinks about the victim:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-LyejSXoAE7a4l.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

Lol.
Well, I managed to track down a review - so it probably exists in some form (even if it is self-published).

https://www.gspellchecker.com/2015/09/b ... -werleman/
I was too subtle. The joke was that in Werleman's case we have room to doubt he wrote the book published under his name.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

deLurch wrote:
d4m10n wrote:The most sympathetic doco I've seen so far was the one with Jon Ronson

[youtube][/youtube]
Thanks. That was interesting. I had never heard of that incident before. I guess I was rather busy at that time in my life doing other things. And it helps to explains the government crackdown conspiracy nuts.
Ruby Ridge and Waco are huge in right-wing gun-nut circles. If you spend much time on a shooting range you will hear about them ad nauseum, along with some fairly paranoid conspiracy theories.

John D

Post by John D »

DaveDodo007 wrote:Fan, meet incoming shit. :shock:

[youtube][/youtube]
Fantastic. Love me some Charles Murray.

I listened to most of this last night... and the rest this morning. I have a theory about why people hate on him. The reason is that he points out a truth that fucks with most people's world view. It is so uncomfortable that most people either have to ignore it, or actively hate it.

I discussed part of this interview with my wife last night. I explained how blacks have an average IQ score that is one standard deviation lower than whites in America. Now, when I heard this I thought "Fuck me.... how do you tackle a problem like that?" It is one of those ah-ha facts that causes you to question your beliefs.

So... when I explained this to my wife, appropriately saying that someone with an 85 IQ (one std dev below average) can probably work a factory job or be a garbage collector she got really aggravated with me. She didn't want to think about this statistical reality. She said something like: "Well... what do you want me to do about it!?"

Most people enjoy thinking they know lots of things. They like to "know" their political philosophy is right. They like to "know" their actions make the world a better place. Then, when people are faced with these super messy facts they go into full rage mode.

I am convinced I am a bit of an odd-ball. It actually enjoy learning something that makes me doubt my beliefs. I am super comfortable having a nuanced and uncertain belief system. I get a thrill from learning something that makes me think "Oh shit!" My son-in-law shares this behavior with me. We can talk for hours about all kinds of topics. He likes statistics and psychology... an unusual combination.

Anyway... perhaps we should call this the "Murray Effect." Tell an uncomfortable truth to someone and get yourself called a racist..etc. This happens to a lot of us pitters. My sister-in-law went off on my last week when I talked about why "Black Lives Matter" is not helping. Haha. She totally "Murrayed" me. She yells :"What DO you think we should do about BLACK PEOPLE... John. Why don't you tell me?!?!" (all angry and sarcastic). My reply: "I am not saying I know exactly what to do... but using the false facts of BLM is not going to help. You can't make progress based on telling lies!"