Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19621

Post by jet_lagg » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:52 am

Kirbmarc wrote:I'm wondering about one thing that the SocJus Brigades say. They seem to be convinced that Republicans are white supremacists, and that it's not just a phase with Trump, but a feature of the Reps as a whole. They declare that Republicans HATE women and non-white people, they want to kill them or see them suffer, etc.

How do they reconcile this with the many prominent women or non-white people within the Republicans, from Michelle Bachmann to Condoleeza Rice to Bobby Jindal, to make some examples? Yes, I know, they're "category traitors" and "brainwashed", but still, if you seriously believe that the GOP are only a few goose-steps behind the nazis, how can you fit the existence of those people together with this belief?
The white supremacist thing is new to Trump. Leftists upped their game after the election made it apparent voters didn't care anymore about being labelled racist. Once they've devalued white supremacist and Nazi in the same way I'm not sure where they'll go. We're running out of bogeymen.

Anyway, you're giving them too much credit. Of course they recognize the paradox. That's why they have to come up with the same sort of tricks used in religion to deny people have agency ("internalized misogyny" is exactly the same line of thinking as "Satan has hardened their heart"). They're simply zealots.

Sunder
.
.
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19622

Post by Sunder » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:54 am

Kirbmarc wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Anita Snarkeesian is an attention-seeker. She periodically whips up controversy to that end, like when she and Full McIntosh staged the bomb threat against her speaking gig. It never ends well for these types, but we all must suffer while their personality disorders hijack whatever they latch on to.

Now, if, Anita would showcase more that Armenian popozuda of hers, I'd pay plenty of attention.
Yup. Anita is a teleseminar success story:

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Kind of similar to Donnie Trump in her business model, only reversing the political polarity.
I got about 20 seconds into this video and could not continue.

"Treasure maps to treasure chests filled with other treasure maps."

Something about the way these sleazy fuckers talk is a bigger turn-off than Brayton in a thong.

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19623

Post by Kirbmarc » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:55 am

I'm not a fan of the Republicans. I just think that they might be genuinely convinced of what they say, and not secretly Nazis using "dogwhistles".

The Reps are bad because they think that public spending is the Mother of All Evil, that people should just pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and that Jebus will help them, that everything fixes up by itself, including climate, without any action of the Big Gummint, that foreign interventions to preserve cronyism are awesome regardless of consequences and that religion is great no matter what and needs to be part of the laws.

They're not Nazi in disguise. They don't "hate women" or "hate minorities". They hate everyone who wants more public spending on healthcare, welfare, environment, etc. or a more secular state. They hate abortion because they hate abortion, not because they "hate women". They prefer the "traditional" family because of their religion, not because of their "misogyny". They gutted the ACA because it's Big Government Spending, not because "they hate sick people".

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10665
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19624

Post by Lsuoma » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:06 am

Kirbmarc wrote:A detailed evolutionary tree of islam:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DC-rxorUMAAmrNG.jpg:large
Interesting - what's the site?

Clarence
.
.
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19625

Post by Clarence » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:20 am

Kirbmarc wrote:I'm not a fan of the Republicans. I just think that they might be genuinely convinced of what they say, and not secretly Nazis using "dogwhistles".

The Reps are bad because they think that public spending is the Mother of All Evil, that people should just pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and that Jebus will help them, that everything fixes up by itself, including climate, without any action of the Big Gummint, that foreign interventions to preserve cronyism are awesome regardless of consequences and that religion is great no matter what and needs to be part of the laws.

They're not Nazi in disguise. They don't "hate women" or "hate minorities". They hate everyone who wants more public spending on healthcare, welfare, environment, etc. or a more secular state. They hate abortion because they hate abortion, not because they "hate women". They prefer the "traditional" family because of their religion, not because of their "misogyny". They gutted the ACA because it's Big Government Spending, not because "they hate sick people".

That might describe some of the Republicans in congress, but certainly not all. It also doesn't come close to describing all Trump voters: https://www.voterstudygroup.org/reports ... ump-voters

Why am I busting your chops about this just a little when you did make (as usual) a very fair and at least partly accurate comment? Because I think you risk not understanding that there is currently civil war within the Republican party.

Clarence
.
.
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19626

Post by Clarence » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:22 am

Seems the culture war is turning hot at an increasing pace: How long ago was it when that Congressman was shot again?

http://www.foxla.com/news/local-news/262816980-story

Clarence
.
.
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19627

Post by Clarence » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:24 am

I'm really looking forward to the "doubleheader' of Space X launches this weekend.
And, hopefully, the Falcon Heavy later this year.

If there's going to be any major economic expansions, I think they will have to be kicked off from space exploration and exploitation.
And things on Earth ain't looking that good for the most part.
So it's good that some people are looking at a larger picture.

shoutinghorse
.
.
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:01 am
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19628

Post by shoutinghorse » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:25 am

Rebecca weighs in on the Sargon/ Sarkeesian spat.

MarcusAu
.
.
Posts: 7143
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 am
Location: Llareggub
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19629

Post by MarcusAu » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:27 am

As much as I do have to admire Anita's non-gendered description of Sargon as a 'Garbage Person' - I believe that the politically correct term to use would be 'Sanitation Engineer'

jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19630

Post by jet_lagg » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:39 am

Kirbmarc wrote:I'm not a fan of the Republicans. I just think that they might be genuinely convinced of what they say, and not secretly Nazis using "dogwhistles".
I meant you were giving the social justice crowd too much credit by trying to come up with a way for a well meaning individual to arrive at their conclusions. Normally that's a good habit because it's the only way to be confident you've really understood someone and not just created a caricature. With SJW's though I believe it really is as simple as them being cultists.

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19631

Post by Kirbmarc » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:55 am

Clarence wrote:That might describe some of the Republicans in congress, but certainly not all. It also doesn't come close to describing all Trump voters: https://www.voterstudygroup.org/reports ... ump-voters

Why am I busting your chops about this just a little when you did make (as usual) a very fair and at least partly accurate comment? Because I think you risk not understanding that there is currently civil war within the Republican party.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

It seems like there's a divide between average Conservatives, Libertarian-Conservatives, Nativists and Populists. Trump seems to be supported more by Conservatives, Nativists and Populists, while the Libertarian-Conservatives voted him in order to prevent Clinton from winning.

Interestingly enough Nativists and Populists have left-ish economical views. The Populists look a lot like disaffected Democrats who aren't into supporting immigration.

deLurch
.
.
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 am

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19632

Post by deLurch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:57 am

Can anyone find a list of who was on that panel?

deLurch
.
.
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 am

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19633

Post by deLurch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:01 am

Found it.

http://vidcon.com/agenda/2512/women-online-discussion/

This guy threw up a question to the panel (which provided the key word to look up).

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19634

Post by Kirbmarc » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:04 am

jet_lagg wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:I'm not a fan of the Republicans. I just think that they might be genuinely convinced of what they say, and not secretly Nazis using "dogwhistles".
I meant you were giving the social justice crowd too much credit by trying to come up with a way for a well meaning individual to arrive at their conclusions. Normally that's a good habit because it's the only way to be confident you've really understood someone and not just created a caricature. With SJW's though I believe it really is as simple as them being cultists.
The staunch SocJus fans like PeeZie or Everyday Misandry Feminism? Absolutely a cult, as batshit insane as Scientology.

The New Left in General, however, which includes people like Sanders supporters, aren't all part of the SocJus cult but many of them have a caricatural view of the GOP.

Just like a lot of Republicans think that all "libr'uls" are convinced that all leftists are SocJus fans.

DrokkIt
.
.
Posts: 1327
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:01 pm
Location: Brit-Cit
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19635

Post by DrokkIt » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:04 am

I've been looking at few of the usual-suspect YT shitlords reports of them all attending that Sarkeesian talk. I think it's a good thing as it's finally Anita facing irl push back, and hilarious.

Really?
.
.
Posts: 6339
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19636

Post by Really? » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 am

deLurch wrote:Found it.

http://vidcon.com/agenda/2512/women-online-discussion/

This guy threw up a question to the panel (which provided the key word to look up).

[youtube]
[/youtube]
That video pissed me off, especially the dumb bint who disallowed the question because it didn't flow with the topic of the panel.

As though there would be:
MEN ONLINE DISCUSSION

In this session, we'll break into discussion groups led by men on YouTube to consider the challenges and opportunities that come with creating and engaging online as a man. Let's talk about how we can foster new creators and communities, amplify often-marginalized voices, and move forward together.
Can you imagine if Vidcon HAD set such a panel?

Suet Cardigan
.
.
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:26 am
Location: England, a bastion of barbarism and cluelessness
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19637

Post by Suet Cardigan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 am

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 7364
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19638

Post by Ape+lust » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:26 am

screwtape wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:I've never seen a Transformer movie. I hope they continue making them, so I can continue not seeing them.
Even if you tried, you'd only get to see half of it.
*blink*

Sorry, I only just now got this. Derp.

http://imgur.com/sNaY69g.jpg

:lol: :lol:

CaptainFluffyBunny
.
.
Posts: 7556
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Somewhere in the pipes
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19639

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:29 am

KiwiInOz wrote:Turkey is making another leap back to the time of the Prophet. Evolution is apparently an archaic theory with no evidence, and is too confusing for students, so must be purged from the syllabus.
Turkey and Texas, together on evolution denialism. Must be something about the heat.

Sunder
.
.
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19640

Post by Sunder » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:30 am

shoutinghorse wrote:Rebecca weighs in on the Sargon/ Sarkeesian spat.
One of the replies points out that it's a bad move by Anita giving someone else the same attention boost and faux-victim status she profits from.

Though good luck trying to get anything through Watson's meter-thick fortress of a skull. And that's if you get past the booze moat.

Really?
.
.
Posts: 6339
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19641

Post by Really? » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:31 am

Suet Cardigan wrote:[youtube]
[/youtube]
Holy shit. Was the whole panel a troll-a-thon? They got under Anita's skin and all they had to do was sit there.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 7364
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19642

Post by Ape+lust » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:41 am

I'm astonished the mighty Sarkeesian could only draw a Skepticon-sized crowd that includes 2 rows of detractors.

I thought she was like, important or something.

deLurch
.
.
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 am

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19643

Post by deLurch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:52 am

The mere fact that they exist is triggering.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10665
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19644

Post by Lsuoma » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:58 am

MarcusAu wrote:As much as I do have to admire Anita's non-gendered description of Sargon as a 'Garbage Person' - I believe that the politically correct term to use would be 'Sanitation Engineer'
[youtube]
[/youtube]

jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19645

Post by jet_lagg » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:05 am

Kirbmarc wrote: The staunch SocJus fans like PeeZie or Everyday Misandry Feminism? Absolutely a cult, as batshit insane as Scientology.

The New Left in General, however, which includes people like Sanders supporters, aren't all part of the SocJus cult but many of them have a caricatural view of the GOP.

Just like a lot of Republicans think that all "libr'uls" are convinced that all leftists are SocJus fans.
I think it's all rhetoric (with the associated problems that entails). Your average American liberal does not think the GOP is literally comprised of white supremacists. They just think they're being useful idiots to the real white supremacists. Laying pipes ;)

Consider how many conservatives will declare that abortion is morally equivalent to murdering a child. I don't know about everyone else, but if that was something I genuinely believed I'd organize a convention for "reproductive rights" then march right in there and go Anders Breivik on their asses. I'd laugh as they dragged me off to prison and sleep just fine that night. It's only an extreme minority who actually act as if they believe what they say they believe in.


Dick Strawkins
.
.
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19647

Post by Dick Strawkins » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:18 am

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:Dick Carrier has hit the big time...well, at least gets a mention in MSM...ok, a line in the Independent's hipster Indy 100.

https://www.indy100.com/article/histori ... ll-7801396

Kill me now.
That's essentially an old press release by Valerie Tarico that keep getting recycled over and over. I'm not sure exactly who Tarico is, but she's ga-ga over Sticky Dicky and his fellow Lauren-Lane-Pulls-A-Train buddy, Dave Fitzgerald. The size of their egos are in inverse relationship to that of their penises, and they always make it sound like they invented the Jesus mythicism concept.

I can bring some updated information on the Jeebus situation. I was in his tomb the other day (I'm attending a conference in Jerusalem and I did a tour of the old city - including the Church of the Holy Sepulchre) and there was no sign of him there.
I also nearly caused a scene at the Wailing wall when my skullcap (you are only allowed near the wall if you wear one) blew off in a gust of wind and I had to chase it through a throng of very annoyed looking praying Jews.
Oh yes, some advice for anyone coming here to a conference. If you intend to stay an extra day to visit the museums (like I did) just remember that the whole place closes on Friday and Saturday (how was I to know this place is religious! :evil: )

PS, some of the Israeli women soldiers are flipping gorgeous. :shock:

Guest_cbc3e33f

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19648

Post by Guest_cbc3e33f » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:28 am

This is agonizingly unfunny...
Those philosopher chicks seem to prefer violence over argument and carry around swords and automatics.

Seems like an odd choice of tools for philosophers.

BarnOwl
.
.
Posts: 3311
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:18 pm
Location: The wrong trouser of Time
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19649

Post by BarnOwl » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:28 am

Lsuoma wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: Which reminds me - Reason recently did a podcast to promote an new book on Prog rock and libertarianism.

https://soundcloud.com/reasonmag/the-ri ... rtarianism

(Not that I would know much about prog rock - beyond enjoying the first Marvel comics movie - Listzomania )
Ha - just bought this book this am. Finished the first chapter - looking good so far...
Bought the book and nearly having orgasms reading it. :banana-guitar:

free thoughtpolice
.
.
Posts: 10391
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19650

Post by free thoughtpolice » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:29 am

Guest_cbc3e33f wrote:
This is agonizingly unfunny...
Those philosopher chicks seem to prefer violence over argument and carry around swords and automatics.

Seems like an odd choice of tools for philosophers.
In real life they use bike locks. :rimshot:

Suet Cardigan
.
.
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:26 am
Location: England, a bastion of barbarism and cluelessness
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19651

Post by Suet Cardigan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:32 am

Guest_cbc3e33f wrote:
This is agonizingly unfunny...
Those philosopher chicks seem to prefer violence over argument and carry around swords and automatics.

Seems like an odd choice of tools for philosophers.
The last panel is also odd: she boasts about them not being good listeners, which is the accusation they make towards their opponents.

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19652

Post by Kirbmarc » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:36 am

jet_lagg wrote:This is agonizingly unfunny...
I tend to agree with the defense of philosophy as defining discourses on value and meta-questions.

However for the SocJus "defense of philosophy" means "defense of postmodernism". That's like saying that "defense of science" means "defense of the phlogiston theory".

Po-mo is at best painfully inane, at worst complete bullshit.

John D
.
.
Posts: 4607
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19653

Post by John D » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:36 am

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:Dick Carrier has hit the big time...well, at least gets a mention in MSM...ok, a line in the Independent's hipster Indy 100.

https://www.indy100.com/article/histori ... ll-7801396

Kill me now.
That's essentially an old press release by Valerie Tarico that keep getting recycled over and over. I'm not sure exactly who Tarico is, but she's ga-ga over Sticky Dicky and his fellow Lauren-Lane-Pulls-A-Train buddy, Dave Fitzgerald. The size of their egos are in inverse relationship to that of their penises, and they always make it sound like they invented the Jesus mythicism concept.

I can bring some updated information on the Jeebus situation. I was in his tomb the other day (I'm attending a conference in Jerusalem and I did a tour of the old city - including the Church of the Holy Sepulchre) and there was no sign of him there.
I also nearly caused a scene at the Wailing wall when my skullcap (you are only allowed near the wall if you wear one) blew off in a gust of wind and I had to chase it through a throng of very annoyed looking praying Jews.
Oh yes, some advice for anyone coming here to a conference. If you intend to stay an extra day to visit the museums (like I did) just remember that the whole place closes on Friday and Saturday (how was I to know this place is religious! :evil: )

PS, some of the Israeli women soldiers are flipping gorgeous. :shock:
No the're not... you liar!
model11-e1459790526321.jpg
(114.25 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
[youtube]
[/youtube]

CaptainFluffyBunny
.
.
Posts: 7556
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Somewhere in the pipes
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19654

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 am

Let's not forget that there is no redeeming value in the truly crappy artwork.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19655

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:43 am

jet_lagg wrote:This is agonizingly unfunny...
And misrepresents Ahrendt, who would have had nothing to do with SJWs.
Ideologies - isms which to the satisfaction of their adherents can explain everything and every occurence by deducing it from a single premise - are a very recent phenomenon ... Not before Hitler and Stalin were the great political potentialities of the ideologies discovered.
Caution in handling generally accepted opinions that claim to explain whole trends of history is especially important for the historian of modern times, because the last century has produced an abundance of ideologies that pretend to be keys to history but are actually nothing but desperate efforts to escape responsibility.

jet_lagg
.
.
Posts: 2570
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19656

Post by jet_lagg » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:47 am

To be fair, the rest of the comics are pretty amusing. Any suspicions you may have had after seeing a panel of new atheists being beaten by strong womyn role models are soon confirmed though. Here's a self described Communist fan fic that's a little too sincere its glorification of Marx.

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/186

Here's an unabashed defense of postmodernist Jacques Derrida.

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/185

People who say his work is obtuse bullshit clearly haven't read through enough of the mountain of obtuse bullshit to discover its true value!

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19657

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:48 am

Also, don't play the 'old' card when Harris is 50 and Mary Wolstencroft would be over five times that age.

Sunder
.
.
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19658

Post by Sunder » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 am

Counted 26 panels.

22-23 are demonstrably wrong.

Steersman
.
.
Posts: 10154
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19659

Post by Steersman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:09 am

Ape+lust wrote:
screwtape wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:I've never seen a Transformer movie. I hope they continue making them, so I can continue not seeing them.
Even if you tried, you'd only get to see half of it.
*blink*

Sorry, I only just now got this. Derp.

[.img]http://imgur.com/sNaY69g.jpg[/img]

:lol: :lol:
:lol:, indeed - me too. Maybe not "see half of it", but certainly a different perspective - so to speak. :-)

Steersman
.
.
Posts: 10154
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19660

Post by Steersman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:13 am

jet_lagg wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
rayshul wrote:Imam Tawhidi seems like a good guy.
[.img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... 50-h263-nc[/img]
I was only introduced to him this week, but what are the red flags exactly? He seems like he's on our side. Unless we elect for Steersman's (final) solution, then projects like this are necessary.
Though you did parenthesize "final", you might consider quoting the term as my recommendation for a "final solution" - mass deportations as took place in both Greece (1923) and India (1947) - is rather different from that tried by Nazi Germany.

katamari Damassi
.
.
Posts: 5398
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:32 am
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19661

Post by katamari Damassi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:14 am

Kirbmarc wrote:I'm not a fan of the Republicans. I just think that they might be genuinely convinced of what they say, and not secretly Nazis using "dogwhistles".

The Reps are bad because they think that public spending is the Mother of All Evil, that people should just pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and that Jebus will help them, that everything fixes up by itself, including climate, without any action of the Big Gummint, that foreign interventions to preserve cronyism are awesome regardless of consequences and that religion is great no matter what and needs to be part of the laws.

They're not Nazi in disguise. They don't "hate women" or "hate minorities". They hate everyone who wants more public spending on healthcare, welfare, environment, etc. or a more secular state. They hate abortion because they hate abortion, not because they "hate women". They prefer the "traditional" family because of their religion, not because of their "misogyny". They gutted the ACA because it's Big Government Spending, not because "they hate sick people".
You don't need to be a Nazi to use dogwhistles. Employing dogwhistles have been a winning Republican strategy since the 1970's. I don't know how familiar you are with US political history, but if you're interested google "southern strategy" and Lee Atwater.

Steersman
.
.
Posts: 10154
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19662

Post by Steersman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:21 am

Kirbmarc wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:I'm not a fan of the Republicans. I just think that they might be genuinely convinced of what they say, and not secretly Nazis using "dogwhistles".
I meant you were giving the social justice crowd too much credit by trying to come up with a way for a well meaning individual to arrive at their conclusions. Normally that's a good habit because it's the only way to be confident you've really understood someone and not just created a caricature. With SJW's though I believe it really is as simple as them being cultists.
The staunch SocJus fans like PeeZie or Everyday Misandry Feminism? Absolutely a cult, as batshit insane as Scientology.

The New Left in General, however, which includes people like Sanders supporters, aren't all part of the SocJus cult but many of them have a caricatural view of the GOP.

Just like a lot of Republicans think that all "libr'uls" are convinced that all leftists are SocJus fans.
Yea:

Although, as I've frequently argued (Cassandra-like), there are or should be limits on free speech:

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12490
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

How do you say 'I surrender' in Hebrew?

#19663

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:21 am

uniform.jpg
(55.41 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Whoever designed those BDUs deserves a medal!

Matt Cavanaugh
.
.
Posts: 12490
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19664

Post by Matt Cavanaugh » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:24 am

jet_lagg wrote: Here's an unabashed defense of postmodernist Jacques Derrida.

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/185
My interpretation is that comic is not about Derrida.

katamari Damassi
.
.
Posts: 5398
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:32 am
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19665

Post by katamari Damassi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 am

I don't if any of you are nerds like me, but if you are, then you need to watch Legion. but you really should. It's a comic book story and a mindfuck. Also, Aubrey Plaza is hot AF. She does this dance number that had me thinking about switching teams.
[youtube]
[/youtube]

katamari Damassi
.
.
Posts: 5398
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:32 am
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19666

Post by katamari Damassi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:28 am

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: Here's an unabashed defense of postmodernist Jacques Derrida.

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/185
My interpretation is that comic is not about Derrida.
Yeah I didn't see that either. My issue is, did they redefine philosopher so they could cram in Mary W and Simone B-who somehow is a feminist icon despite the fact that if JP Sarte snapped his fingers she'd come running?

Really?
.
.
Posts: 6339
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: How do you say 'I surrender' in Hebrew?

#19667

Post by Really? » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:28 am

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
uniform.jpg
Whoever designed those BDUs deserves a medal!
Gonna guess he looks like this:
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/images/folder ... py-guy.jpg

John D
.
.
Posts: 4607
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am
Location: Detroit, MI. USA
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19668

Post by John D » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:29 am

katamari Damassi wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:I'm not a fan of the Republicans. I just think that they might be genuinely convinced of what they say, and not secretly Nazis using "dogwhistles".

The Reps are bad because they think that public spending is the Mother of All Evil, that people should just pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and that Jebus will help them, that everything fixes up by itself, including climate, without any action of the Big Gummint, that foreign interventions to preserve cronyism are awesome regardless of consequences and that religion is great no matter what and needs to be part of the laws.

They're not Nazi in disguise. They don't "hate women" or "hate minorities". They hate everyone who wants more public spending on healthcare, welfare, environment, etc. or a more secular state. They hate abortion because they hate abortion, not because they "hate women". They prefer the "traditional" family because of their religion, not because of their "misogyny". They gutted the ACA because it's Big Government Spending, not because "they hate sick people".
You don't need to be a Nazi to use dogwhistles. Employing dogwhistles have been a winning Republican strategy since the 1970's. I don't know how familiar you are with US political history, but if you're interested google "southern strategy" and Lee Atwater.
We should try to avoid over simplification. Lot's of Reps use dog whistles... even today, but not everything Reps say should be interpreted as dog whistles. The Dems think that their own lies and exaggerations are good because they are for a good cause and that the lies Reps use are all evil. It's the old "it's okay when we do it".

I was watching the news two days ago and I was thinking about the fact that I am a millionaire. And so... some dumb-ass Democrat says: "This tax cut from the Republicans will help the rich so much that it will give the average millionaire a $50,000 tax reduction." I am like... WHAT? He even told this lie twice. The reporter never called him on it. The average millionaire is like me. We have a million in assets, but we don't have a million in INCOME. WTF?!?!? Is this politician this stupid? Or is this just a bald faced lie?

Steersman
.
.
Posts: 10154
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19669

Post by Steersman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:29 am

katamari Damassi wrote:I don't if any of you are nerds like me, but if you are, then you need to watch Legion. but you really should. It's a comic book story and a mindfuck. Also, Aubrey Plaza is hot AF. She does this dance number that had me thinking about switching teams.
[.youtube]
[/youtube]
:lol: High praise indeed ...

Sunder
.
.
Posts: 3857
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19670

Post by Sunder » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:31 am

We already have limits on free speech. Very small limits that work fine and don't need to be expanded.

It's the job of the would-be censor to show how certain speech falls within the already-established bounds of non-protected speech, not to redraw them.

Shatterface
.
.
Posts: 5898
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19671

Post by Shatterface » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:43 am

katamari Damassi wrote:I don't if any of you are nerds like me, but if you are, then you need to watch Legion. but you really should. It's a comic book story and a mindfuck. Also, Aubrey Plaza is hot AF. She does this dance number that had me thinking about switching teams.
[youtube]
[/youtube]
I thought it was great. I think those who aren't really interested in superheroes shouldn't be put off because if you didn't know the characters background you probably wouldn't recognise this as part of the Marvel universe.

Loved this character who was like a cross between Austin Powers and Captain Nemo:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 99_AL_.jpg

Kirbmarc
.
.
Posts: 10577
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 am
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19672

Post by Kirbmarc » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:44 am

jet_lagg wrote:To be fair, the rest of the comics are pretty amusing. Any suspicions you may have had after seeing a panel of new atheists being beaten by strong womyn role models are soon confirmed though. Here's a self described Communist fan fic that's a little too sincere its glorification of Marx.

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/186

Here's an unabashed defense of postmodernist Jacques Derrida.

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/185

People who say his work is obtuse bullshit clearly haven't read through enough of the mountain of obtuse bullshit to discover its true value!
The Marx fanfiction is hilariously bad.

CaptainFluffyBunny
.
.
Posts: 7556
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Somewhere in the pipes
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19673

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:49 am

Sunder wrote:We already have limits on free speech. Very small limits that work fine and don't need to be expanded.

It's the job of the would-be censor to show how certain speech falls within the already-established bounds of non-protected speech, not to redraw them.
What is truly ironic is that these limits on speech mostly apply to things that Steersman says himself. Much of his Muslim rhetoric is considered hate speech in his native Canada and he could theoretically be prosecuted for it.

It always astounds me that nearly everybody calling for limits to free speech assume they will always get to control those limits, or that their ideas of what constitutes reasonable are fairly universal and that reasonable people will always be in charge of policing those limits. The very definition of optimistic stupidity.

Steersman
.
.
Posts: 10154
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19674

Post by Steersman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:51 am

Sunder wrote:We already have limits on free speech. Very small limits that work fine and don't need to be expanded.

It's the job of the would-be censor to show how certain speech falls within the already-established bounds of non-protected speech, not to redraw them.
In your (unevidenced) opinion. You might read (for starters):
Wikipedia wrote:Undercover Mosque is a documentary programme produced by the independent television company Hardcash Productions[1] for the Channel 4 series Dispatches that was first broadcast on 15 January 2007 in the UK. The documentary presents video footage gathered from 12 months of secret investigation into mosques throughout Britain. The documentary caused a furore in Britain and the world press due to the extremist content of the released footage. West Midlands Police investigated whether criminal offences had been committed by those teaching or preaching at the Mosques and other establishments . ....
I've been raked over the coals here for using or discussing a supposedly racist epithet - with no justification at all - yet the content of much preaching within most if not all mosques is so egregiously racist, so much in the way of odious hate-speech, so manifestly a case of "stochastic terrorism", that one is at a loss to find any consistency, any sense of proportion, any sense of the problematic consequences of such. You may wish to reflect a bit on Popper's aphorism.

CaptainFluffyBunny
.
.
Posts: 7556
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Somewhere in the pipes
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19675

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Steersman wrote:
Sunder wrote:We already have limits on free speech. Very small limits that work fine and don't need to be expanded.

It's the job of the would-be censor to show how certain speech falls within the already-established bounds of non-protected speech, not to redraw them.
In your (unevidenced) opinion. You might read (for starters):
Wikipedia wrote:Undercover Mosque is a documentary programme produced by the independent television company Hardcash Productions[1] for the Channel 4 series Dispatches that was first broadcast on 15 January 2007 in the UK. The documentary presents video footage gathered from 12 months of secret investigation into mosques throughout Britain. The documentary caused a furore in Britain and the world press due to the extremist content of the released footage. West Midlands Police investigated whether criminal offences had been committed by those teaching or preaching at the Mosques and other establishments . ....
I've been raked over the coals here for using or discussing a supposedly racist epithet - with no justification at all - yet the content of much preaching within most if not all mosques is so egregiously racist, so much in the way of odious hate-speech, so manifestly a case of "stochastic terrorism", that one is at a loss to find any consistency, any sense of proportion, any sense of the problematic consequences of such. You may wish to reflect a bit on Popper's aphorism.
Ironic then that the nation with the greatest protection for freedom of speech is also one the western nations least in danger of wholesale Islamic takeover. There is no serious calls for sharia, no Muslim strongholds wherein the police dare not venture and blatant Islamist rantings get very serious pushback. In Great Britain and Canada, my understanding is that criticizing Muslims too much in certain ways can lead to your arrest.

CaptainFluffyBunny
.
.
Posts: 7556
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Somewhere in the pipes
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19676

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:09 pm

I'm referring to the USA as having the greatest protections for freedom of speech, in case that wasn't clear.

rayshul
.
.
Posts: 4871
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19677

Post by rayshul » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:13 pm

katamari Damassi wrote:I don't if any of you are nerds like me, but if you are, then you need to watch Legion. but you really should. It's a comic book story and a mindfuck. Also, Aubrey Plaza is hot AF. She does this dance number that had me thinking about switching teams.
I'm pretty sure she's playing a man in that show.

Steersman
.
.
Posts: 10154
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19678

Post by Steersman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:15 pm

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Sunder wrote:We already have limits on free speech. Very small limits that work fine and don't need to be expanded.

It's the job of the would-be censor to show how certain speech falls within the already-established bounds of non-protected speech, not to redraw them.
What is truly ironic is that these limits on speech mostly apply to things that Steersman says himself. Much of his Muslim rhetoric is considered hate speech in his native Canada and he could theoretically be prosecuted for it.

It always astounds me that nearly everybody calling for limits to free speech assume they will always get to control those limits, or that their ideas of what constitutes reasonable are fairly universal and that reasonable people will always be in charge of policing those limits. The very definition of optimistic stupidity.
Yes, it is quite true that by (rather flawed) Canadian law I might well be charged with hate speech for what I've tweeted. However, you might consider that the question of what the limits in particular should be is rather different from the question of whether there should be limits - which is somewhat analogous to Sagan's point about ideas:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2caGdBXUAAszaL.jpg

You, and no few others, seem to think because some people abuse or go off the deep end about putting limits on free speech - eg blasphemy laws - that there are NO justifications for any limits on such at all. Clearly not at all the case given that, for example, the publication and display of pornographic images is severely curtailed in most media - including both the US and Canada, and including the Pit, at least as far as child porn is concerned.

Really?
.
.
Posts: 6339
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19679

Post by Really? » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Just occurred to me that Anita has some pretty big balls calling someone out for making videos that "say the same thing over and over again..."

Steersman
.
.
Posts: 10154
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

#19680

Post by Steersman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:23 pm

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
I've been raked over the coals here for using or discussing a supposedly racist epithet - with no justification at all - yet the content of much preaching within most if not all mosques is so egregiously racist, so much in the way of odious hate-speech, so manifestly a case of "stochastic terrorism", that one is at a loss to find any consistency, any sense of proportion, any sense of the problematic consequences of such. You may wish to reflect a bit on Popper's aphorism.
Ironic then that the nation with the greatest protection for freedom of speech is also one the western nations least in danger of wholesale Islamic takeover. There is no serious calls for sharia, no Muslim strongholds wherein the police dare not venture and blatant Islamist rantings get very serious pushback. In Great Britain and Canada, my understanding is that criticizing Muslims too much in certain ways can lead to your arrest.
Different kettles of fish. That danger is rather materially dependent on the percentage of Muslims within a country - very substantially lower in the US [0.9%] than in, say, France [7-9%].

Locked