Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Brive1987

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Brive1987 »

Guest_84d94f98 wrote:New video up from Lauren Southern where she discusses her struggle.
-Soylent

She's been "mooling" over it eh? Mull pronounced wool with an m.

I'm starting to get pissed off cobs

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Here, when we talk about identity politics, it's to do with identitaires (identitarians), who are actual far right neo-nazi cunts.

Related: yesterday evening we watched Jordan Peele's "Get Out". It was very good, and thankfully not heavy-handed on the oppression scale. I highly recommend it.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Really? wrote:So what does this mean? Each party chooses a random person out of a pub and releases a greased pig and whoever catches it first wins?
Something 'merricuns have never heard of: a coalition government. Leftist and rightist ministers in the cabinet, k-i-s-s-i-n-g.

feathers

Post by feathers »

jet_lagg wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:https://www.dailystormer.com/nazi-proje ... -for-100k/
My God. She really is the perfect Aryan woman, isn't she?
Would be kinda funny if the Marine torpedoes their newly acquired vessels to the shark basement.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Really? wrote:So what does this mean? Each party chooses a random person out of a pub and releases a greased pig and whoever catches it first wins?
Do you take us for a bunch of yokels?

That is not how things are decided in the civilised world

[youtube][/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

A bath to wash off eau d'twatson and introducing Indy to a brush and comb would be a start.

http://i.imgur.com/IAyOOdj.jpg

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:Ahh.
Goldy was born around 1990 near Toronto, Canada, to a family of partial Ukrainian and Greek origin. Her father is a doctor in Toronto. She received her formal education at Havergal College, and graduated with distinction degrees in Politics and History from the University of Toronto and studied Public Policy at the School of Public Policy and Global Governance

And there I thought the Ukrainians were only good for serf labour under the Generalplan Ost.

You live and learn.
With the credentials listed, not even good enough for serfing.

AllanW

Post by AllanW »

Yes. That is exactly what happens next. We're waiting for the announcement about which pub it will be held in later this evening. Maybe they'll hand it over to James Bleeding Corden to host.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I'm usually the first to take offence at 21C appropriation of Nazi and Fascist, tut tutting that these are uniquely 20C German and Italian social phenomena. Go find a new word for the intersection of nationalism and racism.

But I am starting to worry about the alt right as manifested in Southern and mates.

We can accept that Nazism was fundamentally based on cultural exceptionalism stemming from a fantasy racial construct. Enemies of the blood were enemies of the people and the state. Further there was a blood tie between volk and soil.

For Nazis this found expression in the sliding scale of pathogen from Jewish-Bolsheviks to Jews to Slavs to non Germanic. Jews were de-soiled / stateless (as were gypsies) and with their link to revolution sought to destroy the new Reich. The overall objective was to purify, regain blood lands especially in the Baltic and resume ownership of the Teutonic eastern bread basket. And then manifest Germanic fantasy culture with projects such as Welthauptstadt Germania.

I'm seeing a similar western-religious cultural exceptionalism with Southern and ilk, a similar concept of racial defence and a European homeland. Certainly there are concepts unique to Nazism that are missing, but it's a difference of deliverables and a less evolved back story . There is enough woo and crusader bullshit to set my teeth on edge.

She may not be a Nazi - but she certainly would have been one.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

feathers wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Ahh.
Goldy was born around 1990 near Toronto, Canada, to a family of partial Ukrainian and Greek origin. Her father is a doctor in Toronto. She received her formal education at Havergal College, and graduated with distinction degrees in Politics and History from the University of Toronto and studied Public Policy at the School of Public Policy and Global Governance

And there I thought the Ukrainians were only good for serf labour under the Generalplan Ost.

You live and learn.
With the credentials listed, not even good enough for serfing.
Fuck you man. Legit study of History is the only real education. Everything else is a trade.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

;) ..

Keating

Post by Keating »

Brive1987 wrote:I'm usually the first to take offence at 21C appropriation of Nazi and Fascist, tut tutting that these are uniquely 20C German and Italian social phenomena. Go find a new word for the intersection of nationalism and racism.

But I am starting to worry about the alt right as manifested in Southern and mates.

We can accept that Nazism was fundamentally based on cultural exceptionalism stemming from a fantasy racial construct. Enemies of the blood were enemies of the people and the state. Further there was a blood tie between volk and soil.

For Nazis this found expression in the sliding scale of pathogen from Jewish-Bolsheviks to Jews to Slavs to non Germanic. Jews were de-soiled / stateless (as were gypsies) and with their link to revolution sought to destroy the new Reich. The overall objective was to purify, regain blood lands especially in the Baltic and resume ownership of the Teutonic eastern bread basket. And then manifest Germanic fantasy culture with projects such as Welthauptstadt Germania.

I'm seeing a similar western-religious cultural exceptionalism with Southern and ilk, a similar concept of racial defence and a European homeland. Certainly there are concepts unique to Nazism that are missing, but it's a difference of deliverables and a less evolved back story . There is enough woo and crusader bullshit to set my teeth on edge.

I think that's true for most of us. The majority of people will keep pushing the button to electrocute someone as long as an authority tells us to.

I also think this is a creation of the left. If you force me to choose between Nazis and communists, I'll choose the Nazis. Don't make me make that choice.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

If Trump told the truth and wanted to prove that Comey didn't he'd release the infamous tapes by now. The fact that he doesn't, and that Comey doesn't seem concerned about the tapes being released should convinced even Trump's most rabid fans that Trump lied.

The question then becomes whether what Trump told Comey constitutes obstruction of justice. This is neither for Comey nor for Trump to decide. Comey explicitly avoided giving his opinion on a legal matter.

Other Republicans (from Christie to Rubio) are defending Trump by saying he didn't know that what he did was wrong. However the fact that Trump keeps denying that he said what Comey says he said, but won't even release the tapes that if Trump told the truth could prove his version of the story makes it look like Trump likely knows he's in the wrong now.

Whether Trump committed obstruction of justice is for a third party in the justice system to decide. Presumably this is what the Senate subcommitee is doing, but I wonder whether other entities should have a say.

Even in absence of definitive evidence of illegal behavior in the Trump administration regarding Russia and its alleged influence on the 2016 presidential campaigns and elections there's enough evidence by now to suggest that Trump might have committed a crime. Bill Clinton's impeachment process was started on far less.

However I still think that it's better for everyone to wait for the results of the investigation of the Special Prosecutor Robert Muller. Clinton's impeachment process resulted in an acquittal, after all, and for now the evidence on Trump's alleged illegal behavior isn't strong enough to build a case like the Watergate investigation.

Still this should be enough to make Trump supporters think about whether Trump is fit to lead the United States. Even in the best case scenario Trump has revealed that he doesn't know enough about the office of President to avoid a potentially criminal activity.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

MarcusAu wrote:
Do you take us for a bunch of yokels?

That is not how things are decided in the civilised world

[youtube][/youtube]
Fun fact: I have been to this.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Lsuoma wrote:And every single border constituency in Norn Iron has gone to Sinn Fein. Paddy?
With the exception of Sinn Fein in West Belfast, Northern Ireland is divided neatly into two contiguous zones - Sinn Fein in the south and west, DUP (plus independent unionist Lady Sylvia Hermon in North Down) in the north-east.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/320/cpspr ... all-ni.jpg

The SDLP have been wiped out, and Gerry Adams is saying the Shinners won't be taking their seats as usual, so there'll be no nationalist representation in Parliament. A bit of history: Sinn Fein were formed as a campaign to stand for parliament but not take their seats, but instead use their electoral mandate to form a provisional Irish government - which led to the War of Independence and partition.

On the prod side, the Ulster Unionists have also been wiped out. The DUP have ten MPs, and the only feasible coalition government looks like being them and the Tories - with the seven Sinn Fein seats not filled, that would make a wafer-thin majority, which would have interesting implications for local politics. A British government containing hardcore unionists, and an entirely abstentionist nationalism. Interesting times.

(Another Tory-Lib Dem coalition would also just about have the numbers, but the Lib Dems are pro-EU and I can't see them joining a government to oversee Brexit.)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote:I'm usually the first to take offence at 21C appropriation of Nazi and Fascist, tut tutting that these are uniquely 20C German and Italian social phenomena. Go find a new word for the intersection of nationalism and racism.

I'd say that the problem with people like Southern is that they conflate culture with race and liberal democracy with Christianity. I'm he first to be concerned about the rise of support of Islamic theocracy among European muslim communities, but the solution is to counter this cultural messages by taking away power to islamic theocrats, supremacists and muslim conservatives in general and by giving power to former muslims, liberal muslims, Cafeteria muslims, etc. Rational limits on immigration from certain very conservative countries, along with going after the conservative imams, and starting a culture war inside islam to promote liberal values, are something I can get behind. I think islam has been given too much cuddling and too many excuses, and needs to be called out for the many flaws that it has, and stop being defended or ever praised.

Islam needs the Enlightenment, whether imams like it or not.

Southern and others see this as impossible, and see all immigrants as threats to a status quo which includes liberal democracy and Enlightenment values but also other stuff we can do without, like conservative Christianity or a racially homogeneous country.

Also Southern and others see transnational organizations and agreement (the EU, NAFTA, the TPP, the UN) as a threat to national sovereignty and ultimately as non beneficial to their country. I don't think that they're completely wrong, since those transnational organizations are more often than not more beneficial to business and financial elites than to the common people. An ideal transnational organization is a loose one, where countries can discuss their reciprocal issues and find compromises not one built only to benefit Big Business and Big Finance without caring about those it might hurt.

I think that Southern and her ilk are wrong, deeply wrong and if they were in power things could get much worse. However they were able to carve out the niche in their political discussion because of the refusal of the left and even of some parts of the center-right (like Macron) to face the issues of islam and of international organizations. Identity politics, the usual political deference towards religion and the new political correctness are part of the problem, but so is a focus on Big Business and Big Finance that leads to issues for smaller businesses or employees, or just "common citizens".

The best way to make sure that Southern and her ilk don't get in power isn't just to boo them and try to rely on social ostracism of dangerous ideas, but to address the real issues behind the rhetoric.

Even in Nazi Germany the punitive measures of the Versailles treaty, the troubles with German economy, the issues with the French occupation of the Ruhr, etc. were legitimate, and the fact that the Nazis were able to use them for their propaganda purposes doesn't mean that the other parties were able to adequately respond to them.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Keating wrote:

I think that's true for most of us. The majority of people will keep pushing the button to electrocute someone as long as an authority tells us to.

I also think this is a creation of the left. If you force me to choose between Nazis and communists, I'll choose the Nazis. Don't make me make that choice.
The point is that there are racists and racist nationalists - meh. But when you construct a racial/cultural alt-reality that becomes an immersive Weltanschauung, well then you tread already beaten ground.

We are yet again losing the opportunity to take a pragmatic cultural approach to immigration and radical threat because of nazi-lite 'deus vult' bullshit.

That said, I would still like to see Lauren's titties.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Keating wrote:I think that's true for most of us. The majority of people will keep pushing the button to electrocute someone as long as an authority tells us to.

It's not even communists. Communism is over. It's the SocJus/Po-Mo left which is driving people to the right, along with the bumbling approach to social issues of the right.

The left should realize this and ditch the SocJus/Po-Mo, which don't bring anything of value to the table anyway. A center-left which is focused on economic issues and has a rational approach to immigration and integration instead of open borders and leaving people to form their own small ghettoes would fare much better.

May's campaign, for example, was incredibly unpopular for its support of internet censorship (which only very religiously conservative people want) for his support of cuts to healthcare and an approach that would have created issues with mortgage (which pretty much nobody wants) and in general for being too economically conservative. The Labour had a shot at winning this election if it wasn't for Corbyn's penchant to look weak on foreign policy and to cozy up with islamists, and for Abbot's bumbling foreign and security policy proposals. Both issues are more due to the PC ideology than to rational or even simply economical considerations.

A non-ideological, non-PC left can be a serious alternative to both the "Nazis" and the "commies". Hopefully someone will come up with a viable model which ditches the SocJus in favor for a more rational approach.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

It's the old Sam Harris loss of the middle ground (comparatively) moderate voice opening the door to the crazies. But yes. Once you link blood/race/magic to desired values you are fucked.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

If we are running it up the flagpole and see you salutes it - then Douglas Murray may also be a candidate. I don't really think he qualifies, but he has made the point on several occasions that purely from an economic perspective Europe cannot simply open her borders to anyone that wants to come.

And more than that check out his review 'Submission' set in a future France under muslim dominance where a boyfriend says to his Jewish girlfriend when she is leaving for Israel - "There is no Israel for me".

https://quadrant.org.au/magazine/2015/1 ... ubmission/

Just as poverty increases the likelihood of religious and tribal sentiment - I think that the current climate of fear will do much the same thing - so the rise of identity politics should not surprise anyone.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

paddybrown wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:And every single border constituency in Norn Iron has gone to Sinn Fein. Paddy?
With the exception of Sinn Fein in West Belfast, Northern Ireland is divided neatly into two contiguous zones - Sinn Fein in the south and west, DUP (plus independent unionist Lady Sylvia Hermon in North Down) in the north-east.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/320/cpspr ... all-ni.jpg

The SDLP have been wiped out, and Gerry Adams is saying the Shinners won't be taking their seats as usual, so there'll be no nationalist representation in Parliament. A bit of history: Sinn Fein were formed as a campaign to stand for parliament but not take their seats, but instead use their electoral mandate to form a provisional Irish government - which led to the War of Independence and partition.

On the prod side, the Ulster Unionists have also been wiped out. The DUP have ten MPs, and the only feasible coalition government looks like being them and the Tories - with the seven Sinn Fein seats not filled, that would make a wafer-thin majority, which would have interesting implications for local politics. A British government containing hardcore unionists, and an entirely abstentionist nationalism. Interesting times.

(Another Tory-Lib Dem coalition would also just about have the numbers, but the Lib Dems are pro-EU and I can't see them joining a government to oversee Brexit.)
It's probably of interest to those of us here (since our genisis is the A/s movement) that the DUP are chock full of the very nuttiest of evangelical christians. Protestantism is their politics, the bible kind. Anti gay, anti abortion rights, cliamte change deniers, etc etc etc. The kind of party that are the kissing cousins of deep south bible bashers in the states.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Kirbmarc wrote:The left should realize this and ditch the SocJus/Po-Mo, which don't bring anything of value to the table anyway. A center-left which is focused on economic issues and has a rational approach to immigration and integration instead of open borders and leaving people to form their own small ghettoes would fare much better.
It's not just the SocJus. If I was a UK citizen, I'd consider what the Red Cross is doing - a NGO "rescuing" migrants - to be treason. I'd expect the government to crack down hard on that. The government, answerable to the people, is the only body that gets to decide who should be allowed into a country. If the government isn't prepared to act on that, then a vigilante group is bound to rise up and act instead.
A non-ideological, non-PC left can be a serious alternative to both the "Nazis" and the "commies". Hopefully someone will come up with a viable model which ditches the SocJus in favor for a more rational approach.
As I said a few pages ago, I don't disagree that a sensible path forward exists. The trouble is that the only side of politics that is even close to that sensible path is the far right. Even in Australia, the conservative party is for large immigration, they'll just whack around a few people to make it look like they're doing something. I don't see that changing, meaning the far right seems the least bad given the circumstances. Everything else seems like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote:A bath to wash off eau d'twatson and introducing Indy to a brush and comb would be a start.

They must have run into Dawgkins.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

The SDLP suffer from a similar problem to the UUP. The UUP were the majority unionist party in the mid nineties the DUP under Paisley destroyed them by waving the "No surrender!" flag, and painting the UUP as selling unionism out by getting friendly with the disgusting Irish. The Unionist electorate bought the fear narrative, and then the DUP after becoming the majority unionist party, essentially adopted the UUP position. Lol. It's all about power, and Paisley loved power, that was his life story, he always had to be the guy in charge, and if he wasn't he'd create an alternative throne that was his. He not only created the DUP, he created his own church the free Presp, he created his own paramilitary group the red hand commando. Fucking fascinating figure. The UUP don't have a message, it's effectively "we're not the DUP".

Sinn Fein usurped the SDLP at the same time, as it became a consolidation of the two blocks in the North. Shinners always referred to the SDLP as the Stoop Down Low Party. House paddys licking the boots of the brits, begging for the crumbs from the table. They presented themselves as the only viable voice for the Irish in the North. it worked for the same reason as the DUP surge, people increasingly throwing their communal support behind one party so as not to have their communtiy split representation, and therefore potentially lose seats to the other side. That's basically why there was unionist seats in the west. The Irish vote was split. The SDLP had one big canon. John Hume, he's gone the SDLP are dead, their only message is "we're not Sinn fein".

The UUP have tried to roll a different dice and recrete themselves a couple of times now, it's failed for various reasons. The SDLP doesn't seem to have learned anything, and haven't tried to position themselves on an alternative message of any worth. The problem for them is, Sinn Fein are, if not more progressive, and socially left, so where do the SDLP go? They can't go to the right, as they are the Social Democratic LABOUR party lol. The fact they they have any reps comes from the twilight of Hume.

Personally I know some really amazing guys who are SDLP they were political activists on civil rights issues when all the assholes who are sinn fein reps were doing fuck all. Conversely all the wankers who would have joined SDLP for a political career, joined SF instead, because of job opportunity lol.

I also know this to be true in the unionist faction. I know one guy, who has a fantastic brain, who is now a DUP rep I couldn't fucking believe it, I know why he did it. I caught up with him one day, and laughed at him, he laughed too, but what was he going to do if he wanted to get elected in a headcount system.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Is it too late for party political messages?

[youtube][/youtube]

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I know that the FFRF is spotty on separation of church (or mosque) and state when it comes to islam - but this clip gave me a flashback to days of yore.

[youtube][/youtube]

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Brive1987 wrote:A bath to wash off eau d'twatson and introducing Indy to a brush and comb would be a start.

Fucking hell. Indy looked cute when Twatson first got him, now he is resembling a fucking sheep.

SJWs and Baboons have a history of treating animals badly.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Fucking hell. Indy looked cute when Twatson first got him, now he is resembling a fucking sheep.

...and children!

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:Fuck you man. Legit study of History is the only real education. Everything else is a trade.
If only you had learned a trade :mrgreen:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Keating wrote:I also think this is a creation of the left. If you force me to choose between Nazis and communists, I'll choose the Nazis. Don't make me make that choice.
Since everyone and their dog has been stamped as 'Nazi' by the loony left, you're only really left with one choice, and that is to become one.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Fucking hell. Indy looked cute when Twatson first got him, now he is resembling a fucking sheep.

This'll cheer you up.

Geordie comedian Sarah Millican had a dog.

It appeared with her on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown last night.

http://standardissuemagazine.com/applic ... Tuvok2.jpg

It's name is... Commander Tuvok.

http://standardissuemagazine.com/lifest ... ter-tuvok/

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:
Keating wrote:I also think this is a creation of the left. If you force me to choose between Nazis and communists, I'll choose the Nazis. Don't make me make that choice.
Since everyone and their dog has been stamped as 'Nazi' by the loony left, you're only really left with one choice, and that is to become one.
Or maybe throw the loony left out and organize something non-loony.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

"Our" "allies", ladies and gentlemen.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Oh hell, the odds are high we will be crossing paths very soon. On that very path. #freeindy

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

feathers wrote:
And cats, too:
kitler.jpg
(33.22 KiB) Downloaded 181 times

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Just a reminder to everyone that the official name for the UK Tories is the Conservative and Unionist party. As long as she keeps them sweet she can carry on almost as before. The Unionists know this and will use it to their advantage pissing off the Nats even more than usual. Her hubristic folly could cost the fragile peace of Northern Ireland. The last thing the UK needs now is a resurgent IRA.

Keep women out of Politics .. :hand:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Funnily enough - that's what the IRA tried in Brighton.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

Oh hell, the odds are high we will be crossing paths very soon. On that very path. #freeindy

Video or photographic evidence of project "free Indy" please or it never happened. :animals-dogrun:

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Easy J wrote:Okay. Yeah. This would be an alt-right that resembled the boogeyman I've been hearing about. Explicitly pushing a race angle, & not in a trollish, 4-channy way.
They've been there from the beginning. The only thing that pisses me off is leftists insisting 1) they exist in numbers orders of magnitude larger than any reasonable look at the evidence suggests, and 2) the best way to divine who these people are is looking for anyone who won't take the stage to denounce Charles Murray as a filthy heretic and traitor when the fact is people actually pushing for racial segregation are happy to tell you if you just ask them.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote:
Easy J wrote:Okay. Yeah. This would be an alt-right that resembled the boogeyman I've been hearing about. Explicitly pushing a race angle, & not in a trollish, 4-channy way.
They've been there from the beginning.
Yup. Davis Aurini, Matt Forney, RooshV, weev, to a lesser extent Mike Cernovitch, a lot of people who comment on Breitbart have been along those lines since the beginning. Shanley, the SJW bot, used to be even worse than Southern while she was dating weev.
The only thing that pisses me off is leftists insisting 1) they exist in numbers orders of magnitude larger than any reasonable look at the evidence suggests, and 2) the best way to divine who these people are is looking for anyone who won't take the stage to denounce Charles Murray as a filthy heretic and traitor when the fact is people actually pushing for racial segregation are happy to tell you if you just ask them.
That's tribalism and political extremism for you.

http://i.imgur.com/HfVyCqn.jpg

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

shoutinghorse wrote:Just a reminder to everyone that the official name for the UK Tories is the Conservative and Unionist party. As long as she keeps them sweet she can carry on almost as before. The Unionists know this and will use it to their advantage pissing off the Nats even more than usual. Her hubristic folly could cost the fragile peace of Northern Ireland. The last thing the UK needs now is a resurgent IRA.

This might well cause problems with regular tories who strongly dislike the DUP.

Such as leader of the Scottish tories, the lesbian Ruth Davies. They actually have quite a few pink-n-blues, it's a cultural lobby within conservatism.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oglebart wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:
Oglebart wrote:Got to give John Curtice his due here, his exit poll predictions were almost exactly right, again!
Spot on wasn't he.
He was. The exit poll was taken from a sample of 30,000, so it's impressive work to translate that into the national result.

Seeing a lot of reports that many more younger voters came out this time, Labour said they will scrap tuition fees, I wonder how many votes that got them? Nice to see Sturgeon get a bit of a shoeing in Scotland though.
Corbyn's schtick was to play the political version of the Childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: 'Here kids, free stuff! Come and get your free stuff!' That it appeared to have worked to some extent doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the skeptical abilities of our young folk here ('Ummm you know islam is like totally a religion of peace, right?'), and though my prediction was wrong - I thought the Tories would get a small majority - I still hold that it's hardly a ringing endorsement for Corbyn and his ilk that this was the best he could do when faced with a Tory party that was so utterly, utterly dreadful, they weren't even shit.

Some interesting things emerged, though: The UKIP vote collapsed, as expected, but curiously both Labour and the Tories benefitted from it, thereby falsifiying the widely held idea that UKIP were pretty much comprised of disgruntled right-wingers. Guess it really was just a one-issue party when it came down to it.

And yeah, the SNP got hit particularly badly by the Tories, to the loss of the likes of Alex Salmond and Angus Robertson. No fuckin idea how that happened. Still, it did mean that snide, grassing witch Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh lost her seat to a Tory, which is quite hilarious.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

jet_lagg wrote:For the Dennett fans (and haters).

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/14968 ... %20(1).png
As someone who is both a Dennett fan and someone who believes that he played games with definitions in that particular area, that was fun. Thanks.

Billie from Ockham

TheMudbrooker wrote:I keep expecting John McCain to start shouting "No chicken escapes Tweedy's farm!!"
Isn't this when someone says "too soon"?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

DrokkIt wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:Just a reminder to everyone that the official name for the UK Tories is the Conservative and Unionist party. As long as she keeps them sweet she can carry on almost as before. The Unionists know this and will use it to their advantage pissing off the Nats even more than usual. Her hubristic folly could cost the fragile peace of Northern Ireland. The last thing the UK needs now is a resurgent IRA.

This might well cause problems with regular tories who strongly dislike the DUP.

Such as leader of the Scottish tories, the lesbian Ruth Davies. They actually have quite a few pink-n-blues, it's a cultural lobby within conservatism.
Funnily enough, it seems the tories are making some noises about persuading Ruth Davidson to make a play for national party leadership...

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

DrokkIt wrote:

Can't the Tories ally themselves with the Lib-Dem instead? They've already done it under Cameron, and the Lib-Dem are nowhere nearly as "controversial" as the DUP. Sure, this would probably mean a compromise on the Sacred Hard Brexit and likely a Soft Brexit (leaving the EU, joining the EFTA, the same deal of Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland) but Soft Brexit makes more sense than Hard Brexit anyway. Switzerland has pretty tough immigration and asylum laws, the UK can have them too if they stay in the EFTA.

The EU would probably agree to the compromise, the business and financial communities would be happy, it'd be a reasonable compromise. Of course it would be the end of May's career, since she was Miss "Brexit means Brexit", but May fucked up already. Sargon and other Hard Brexit supporters would probably pitch a fit, though.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:I know that the FFRF is spotty on separation of church (or mosque) and state when it comes to islam - but this clip gave me a flashback to days of yore.

[youtube][/youtube]
Dan Barker is such a douchebag. There was a simple answer, but he had to bring up the "depravity and violence in the bible". FFRF should stick to church:state separation, as per its mission statement. But they can't resist constant christianity-bashing. And now islam apologetics.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Well, he's got a point -

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Kirbmarc wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:

Can't the Tories ally themselves with the Lib-Dem instead? They've already done it under Cameron, and the Lib-Dem are nowhere nearly as "controversial" as the DUP. Sure, this would probably mean a compromise on the Sacred Hard Brexit and likely a Soft Brexit (leaving the EU, joining the EFTA, the same deal of Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland) but Soft Brexit makes more sense than Hard Brexit anyway. Switzerland has pretty tough immigration and asylum laws, the UK can have them too if they stay in the EFTA.

The EU would probably agree to the compromise, the business and financial communities would be happy, it'd be a reasonable compromise. Of course it would be the end of May's career, since she was Miss "Brexit means Brexit", but May fucked up already. Sargon and other Hard Brexit supporters would probably pitch a fit, though.
The tories would love to pact with the lib dems. The lib dems learned that lesson with Cameron, and they aren't going to repeat it for a couple of generations. The Pact with the DUP is going to be hilarious. The DUP are nutbags, much of their nuttery wouldn't bleed into the national stage, as i can't see the DUP demanding the tories repeal same sex marriage, but i'd love to see the national media spotlight finally take a look at the insane creationists and pure undistilled sectarian bigots which make up their party.

It will potentially cause issues in the North, as the devolved parliament is currently suspended, with talks ongoing, and you can bet your ass the DUP will be orgasmic at the idea of having May as their dog in that fight.

Billie from Ockham

Kirbmarc wrote:{snip}

However I still think that it's better for everyone to wait for the results of the investigation of the Special Prosecutor Robert Muller. Clinton's impeachment process resulted in an acquittal, after all, and for now the evidence on Trump's alleged illegal behavior isn't strong enough to build a case like the Watergate investigation.

{snip}
I would add that, in US politics, it's often a subordinate that ends up in trouble for playing a role in a cover-up, so I look forward to some yet-unknown staffer being the only person convicted (for lying to Muller).

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Tigzy wrote: Corbyn's schtick was to play the political version of the Childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: 'Here kids, free stuff! Come and get your free stuff!' That it appeared to have worked to some extent doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the skeptical abilities of our young folk here ('Ummm you know islam is like totally a religion of peace, right?'), and though my prediction was wrong - I thought the Tories would get a small majority - I still hold that it's hardly a ringing endorsement for Corbyn and his ilk that this was the best he could do when faced with a Tory party that was so utterly, utterly dreadful, they weren't even shit.

Some interesting things emerged, though: The UKIP vote collapsed, as expected, but curiously both Labour and the Tories benefitted from it, thereby falsifiying the widely held idea that UKIP were pretty much comprised of disgruntled right-wingers. Guess it really was just a one-issue party when it came down to it.

And yeah, the SNP got hit particularly badly by the Tories, to the loss of the likes of Alex Salmond and Angus Robertson. No fuckin idea how that happened. Still, it did mean that snide, grassing witch Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh lost her seat to a Tory, which is quite hilarious.
Oh, I wondered what happened to that opportunist sow, that's good news :lol:

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Oglebart wrote:
Tigzy wrote: Corbyn's schtick was to play the political version of the Childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: 'Here kids, free stuff! Come and get your free stuff!' That it appeared to have worked to some extent doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the skeptical abilities of our young folk here ('Ummm you know islam is like totally a religion of peace, right?'), and though my prediction was wrong - I thought the Tories would get a small majority - I still hold that it's hardly a ringing endorsement for Corbyn and his ilk that this was the best he could do when faced with a Tory party that was so utterly, utterly dreadful, they weren't even shit.

I didn't know who you were talking about so i googled her, an immeadiatley recognised her as the party hopping "I stand for whatever will get me elected" muppet, but i don't know what you mean by "grassing", so give me juice.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Za-zen wrote:
Oglebart wrote:

I didn't know who you were talking about so i googled her, an immeadiatley recognised her as the party hopping "I stand for whatever will get me elected" muppet, but i don't know what you mean by "grassing", so give me juice.

Meaning #6 would perhaps apply here.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Za-zen wrote: I didn't know who you were talking about so i googled her, an immeadiatley recognised her as the party hopping "I stand for whatever will get me elected" muppet, but i don't know what you mean by "grassing", so give me juice.
This:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3gp-3FWYAAjJgd.jpg

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Tigzy wrote:
Za-zen wrote: I didn't know who you were talking about so i googled her, an immeadiatley recognised her as the party hopping "I stand for whatever will get me elected" muppet, but i don't know what you mean by "grassing", so give me juice.
This:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3gp-3FWYAAjJgd.jpg
Ah the good old cops being moral guardians, or more precisely being the tools of a wanker with hierarchical influence. What fucks me off about this kind of cop action, is that someone who doesn't fully understand their rights wouldn't have the balls to tell the cops to fuck off in that situation, and actually think they had a right to come and talk to you about what you write one twitter.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Zubin Madon has the perfect response to the Islamophilic truth haters
I’ve written this headline exactly as PuffHo would have written it—if they had any rationality. In fact, by some twist of fate the subject of my post, an article by Zubin Madon, an engineer and humanist living in Bombay, India, did appear in the April 2016 PuffHo, and undercuts everything they have written denying the nasty bits of Islamic doctrine and the influence of that faith on terrorism. (PuffHo’s religion editor, Carol Kuruvilla, writes post after post telling us how wonderful Islam is and that we should ignore the man with the bomb behind the curtain).
Shia Islam has a reformer apparently. From his profile
Revisionist, Reformer & Imam of Peace
May as well as well add Innovation and Deviation to the list (I will let Kirbmac explain the implications)

Also

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:For the Dennett fans (and haters).

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/14968 ... %20(1).png
As someone who is both a Dennett fan and someone who believes that he played games with definitions in that particular area, that was fun. Thanks.
It's a funny skit, but I don't see how Dennett "played games with definitions." "Free will" has always had several meanings (falling broadly into either theological/philosophical or ordinary language camps), and Dennett does openly say that in one sense of the term (the highfalutin' sense, the capital letters sense) Free Will is incompatible with Determinism, but in its ordinary, everyday usage ("I'm freely moving my hand"), it's compatible. The highfalutin' sense is connected to the religious idea of Soul, something we don't have. So it's not worth worrying about whether we possess a capacity of something we don't have; and meanwhile the moist robots that we are have something that answers to "free will" in an ordinary language sense, that actually relies on determinism being true for its operation.

The other point Dennett stresses is that the sense of Determinism against which the highfalutin' sense of Free Will has often been juxtaposed has tended to be confused with Fatalism, and that this has made it difficult to see compatibilism. But "What will be will be" would be true whether the universe was deterministic or random chaos. (This is against the "why bother getting up in the morning?" line of thought.)

Dennett's way of pointing out how philosophy has often muddied the waters by creating new meanings for ordinary language terms in the course of theorizing about them is one of the things that makes him a good Wittgensteinian: his philosophy is therapeutic.

It's part of Dennett's larger project of mapping the "Manifest Image" (ordinary everyday usage) to the "Scientific Image" by getting rid of philosophical rubbish that blocks the way to a reconciliation.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

OK, Britainers, tell us true -- Diane Abbott is a mong, right? And I mean a literal mong: Downs, a retard.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3741280/d ... sing-lies/

Billie from Ockham

gurugeorge wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:As someone who is both a Dennett fan and someone who believes that he played games with definitions in that particular area, that was fun. Thanks.
It's a funny skit, but I don't see how Dennett "played games with definitions."
I'm thinking of a particular talk that he gave (at Sante Fe), where he clearly (to me) played games because he wanted to be able to punish people for their bad actions. He forced himself into this by first making that point that punishment only seems rational if people have free will. He completely ignored the alternative way to justify punishment: by citing operant conditioning. It was a terrible talk (again, from my POV) and has stuck in my mind ever since.

Ah. Here's the talk:

[youtube][/youtube]