Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Sunder

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Sunder »

deLurch wrote:
Karmakin wrote:Gad Saad says a lot of very similar things to Peterson, and in tone and temperament I think he makes for a better messenger.
Gad Saad has 82 thousand youtube subscribers. Jordan Peterson has 288 thousand youtube subscribers.

I think that Jordan Peterson has clearly established himself as the better "messenger."

(But I still very much appreciate Gad Saad. Just acknowledging who has the better delivery chops.).
Peterson may not be a damsel but he was in distress and a lot of people rallied to his banner because he was a useful proxy in a fight they were already involved in. It's like saying the Christian bakery that suddenly gets thousands of dollars of crowdfunding money after a PR fracas must make a hell of a cake.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Karmakin wrote:And I like Peterson as well. I think he's batshit crazy in some ways, but I think he's crazy in a rather affable, likable way. And I think he's saying some important things, that I wish (and I think will) would be extracted from some of the more out there stuff, namely about improvement of the self becoming a primary focus. I'd word it entirely differently, in a way that doesn't sound as out there, but I think it's a very important concept.

Gad Saad says a lot of very similar things to Peterson, and in tone and temperament I think he makes for a better messenger.
Interesting. I find Saad to be incredibly superficial with a bit of a 'holier-than-thou' attitude. I find Peterson enrapturing to listen to, however, even when I disagree with him. I guess I'm just better tuned to the way Peterson speaks.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Linus wrote:

What some unknown internet commenter says doesn't tell us anything about any field.
Well if enough of them say the same things it might tend to show what people believe it means and is in the long run more important than what a few sheltered academics think.
So I gather that you have no interest in gender studies and don't know anything about it. Odd that you are that interested and opinionated about the Penis paper.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Linus wrote:
My questions was "Do you know of some scientists who critiqued the lichen paper after it was revealed to be a hoax?" (bolding added). The critique was part of the reveal.
The hair-splitting is really trying my patience. If someone reveals they know something to be a hoax because they wrote it, and goes on to point out every flaw in the paper that would have allowed any competent individual field to also know it was a hoax, that answers your question as to the purpose of a critique (and, hopefully, demonstrates one happened).
The reviewer should have caught both the fake citations and the word salad...
They can't catch the word salad because the real articles are word salad as well. There was nothing there to catch. This is fundamentally not the case with something like chemistry. That has been the point from the beginning. I've tried to explain it to the best of my ability, so if that's still not making sense I'll give up now.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Funny thing: the journal which published Sokal's hoax back in 1996 apparently didn't have a process of peer-review back then. The journal which published Lindsay and Boghossian's article, as shitty as it might be, apparently had a process of peer-review.

Of course this doesn't mean much, since Sokal's article appeared on a journal which also published articles from famous po-mo sociologists, which of course made his hoax much more of a scandal. But still, it's funny to see how even shitty journals at least go through the motions of setting up a process of peer-review these days.

Keating

Post by Keating »

gurugeorge wrote:Btw, in what world does anyone think someone holding up the severed head of a sitting president of the USA is funny? An image like that might be funny in the context of a political cartoon, say - but just the holding up of a head, why is that supposed to be funny?
Harmful Opinions opening is funny:

[youtube][/youtube]

Keating

Post by Keating »

Sunder wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Karmakin wrote:Gad Saad says a lot of very similar things to Peterson, and in tone and temperament I think he makes for a better messenger.
Gad Saad has 82 thousand youtube subscribers. Jordan Peterson has 288 thousand youtube subscribers.

I think that Jordan Peterson has clearly established himself as the better "messenger."

(But I still very much appreciate Gad Saad. Just acknowledging who has the better delivery chops.).
Peterson may not be a damsel but he was in distress and a lot of people rallied to his banner because he was a useful proxy in a fight they were already involved in. It's like saying the Christian bakery that suddenly gets thousands of dollars of crowdfunding money after a PR fracas must make a hell of a cake.
Interestingly, Peterson and Saad touch on this a little in their latest discussion together, mostly in the first 20 minutes:

[youtube][/youtube]

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Notice how the regressives and the po-mo Marxists are desperately trying to gaslight everybody who highlights the madness on US campuses? "You're imagining it". "You're missing the context of the protest, which the YouTube video doesn't portray". "This is just a one-off at just one college"...yadda, yadda, yadda. This fucking nonsense is spreading like Stephanie Zvan's arse on a bouncy castle. It is getting towards the stage where the far righters who obsess about an "anti-white genocide" are starting to sound as if they are on to something. Oh, and their fucking cult-like chanting, and hatred of capitalism, while they check their iPhones. Fucking coddled, privileged, cunts. Send them to fucking Venezuela for a few years. The fucking cunts.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Tigzy wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote: Spending money "into existence" by purchasing goods and services is not the same as printing more money. But yes, the Government needs to pull levers, including those of policy and taxation, to ensure that the productive base of the economy is sound and that inflation doesn't run rampant.
Hmmm. IANAE either, but if a government can effectively spend money into existence this way, but still needs to (presumably) raise taxes to control inflation as a result, then isn't this effectively the same thing as tax and spend - just in a roundabout way?

Given that a government may well be uncomfortable with raising taxes - it's rarely a vote winner, after all - then said government may indeed look to borrowing as an alternative.
The key point, and it may be considered semantic, is that there is no flow from the stock of tax dollars collected (electrons in an accounting ledger) into the flow of expenditure. There is a thing called the consolidated fund, essentially the stock of tax dollars, but this is now only used for analysis and reporting, not expenditure.

Further, the Government doesn't need to raise taxes, given that they are usually a percentage of income or of the price of something. If a federal level politician says that they (or the opposition) will need to raise taxes to fund some new program, then you can call them a liar or misinformed. They may, however, raise a tax or put a price on something considered undesirable, so that the consumer will favour the more desired option with their discretionary spending.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Right now a lot of college is rigidly conformist to ultra-regressive standards. Some of the crap being taught qualifies more as propaganda rather than knowledge, and it's scary that these kids are taking it in as facts. Gotta be some balance.
When I was growing up it was fairly clear that the crusty old farts bitching about "liberal indoctrination" in schools meant shit like evolution and not teaching the Bible as absolute fact.

The depressing bit is that a lot of them still are, and this pomo fuckery is not only attacking the sciences directly, but poisoning the well of higher education entirely.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Oh, and I've also noticed some of the SJW brigade are struggling with the cognitive dissonance with the Wonder Woman film. Lots of grumbling about the IDF, and whatnot. I fucking love. Plus, Gal Gadot is hot. I'll be watching it.

The Graun has an article about how the Wonder Woman film is great for feminism, or something (despite giving a thumbs-down review!), and some BTL posters are sniping about Gadot's political views. Lol.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Now I need to get on and earn some of those Australian dollars, as they are not going to magically appear in my bank account. So stop distracting me.

(I'll hunt a paper or two out for you later Drokkit)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Easy J wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Easy J wrote:So...how far does Evergreen have to push it before the Feds can move to cut off funding over civil rights violations? I'm hoping the rot goes far enough up the chain that an example will be made.
I doubt the feds will push for that. Right now the mood seems to be wild indulgence for POCs. Still, if a lawsuit is filed and it gets pushed, that would really make my day. What this really needs is exposure, so that the ridiculous antics gets exposed to the general public. If there is enough outcry, they will be more isolated and even the democrats will begin abandoning them. Then they can wail to there heart's content, as long as they lose influence over policy.

Right now a lot of college is rigidly conformist to ultra-regressive standards. Some of the crap being taught qualifies more as propaganda rather than knowledge, and it's scary that these kids are taking it in as facts. Gotta be some balance.
I was hoping that the 3 or 4 conservative students still breathing would get the bright idea to get themselves excluded from something for being white & file charges. The faculty seem to be thoroughly cowed, if not outright colluding with the mob & might give them their way. They've already told the campus police to stand down, which is a legally risky move.

I don't know the law, but I thought just holding an event that officially excludes people on the basis of race or gender was asking for a civil rights case. I doubt the government would be proactive on this. I'm praying for a shitlord to step in & seize the day.
If you haven't watched it yet, that video with Dave Rubin and Bret Weinstein is REALLY worth watching.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Linus wrote:What some unknown internet commenter says doesn't tell us anything about any field.
Love them arguments from authority, eh?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Tigzy wrote:
Oglebart wrote:I'm watching the leaders debate on BBC 1. I'm no fan of Paul Nuttall of UKIP but the way that all of the other cunts are sneering at him is vile. He at least had the guts to call radical islam a "cancer on society" after which that wanker Angus Robertson from SNP couldn't wait to point out that not all terrorist attacks are islamic, no you fat cunt, only 99% of them.

Virtue signalling toads, the lot of them. :angry-cussingblack:
It was a farce. Shouty, sniping, can't-get-a-word-in-edgeways nonsense. And yeah, fucking Angus Robertson - quite clear whose postal votes he's out grubbing for, eh.

Corbyn managed the quite remarkable feat of being less interesting than Tim Farron. As for Theresa May - well, if outcomes are anything to go by, she made a good decision in not bothering to turn up and participating in this mess.
Theresa May is an animated scarecrow who makes Steersman look almost human. She is visibly horrified whenever she has to talk with ordinary people. She makes more U-turns than a spinning dancer. She called the election because she thought she would get a landslide victory handed on a platter. Now the polls are not looking so great anymore. She fucked up, as she will fuck up Brexit if she wins after all. Unfortunately, enough turkeys may be voting for Christmas for that to happen. While I am no fan of Corbyn, I will be laughing my head off should he become the next PM. Poetic justice.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Tigzy wrote: Hmmm. IANAE either, but if a government can effectively spend money into existence this way, but still needs to (presumably) raise taxes to control inflation as a result, then isn't this effectively the same thing as tax and spend - just in a roundabout way?

Given that a government may well be uncomfortable with raising taxes - it's rarely a vote winner, after all - then said government may indeed look to borrowing as an alternative.
The key point, and it may be considered semantic, is that there is no flow from the stock of tax dollars collected (electrons in an accounting ledger) into the flow of expenditure. There is a thing called the consolidated fund, essentially the stock of tax dollars, but this is now only used for analysis and reporting, not expenditure.

Further, the Government doesn't need to raise taxes, given that they are usually a percentage of income or of the price of something. If a federal level politician says that they (or the opposition) will need to raise taxes to fund some new program, then you can call them a liar or misinformed. They may, however, raise a tax or put a price on something considered undesirable, so that the consumer will favour the more desired option with their discretionary spending.
This is some very interesting shit Kiwi, and I'm not having a dig at you or anything. But MMT does seem a bit too good to be true. I have to ask, if governments can support various projects by effectively conjuring up the capital they need for them...then why is debt or taxation ever an issue in the first place?

I've been doing a little googling on it, and Krugman for one seems to have concerns about inflation when it comes to MMT. Is he right to be concerned, do you think?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Brive1987 wrote: But then you can always count on the horde to drop a Mars Bar in the pool:

http://i.imgur.com/rDCpOqB.jpg

:popcorn: :popcorn:
And here I was not gonna see it because I think Gadot's wooden and the franchise has sucked so far.

Still, I approve of this post, because I think Paul deserves to have the wind taken out of his sails by one of his own at every opportunity. He needs constant reminders that being a good feminist ally means never being able to enjoy anything guilt-free.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Jan Steen wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Oglebart wrote:I'm watching the leaders debate on BBC 1. I'm no fan of Paul Nuttall of UKIP but the way that all of the other cunts are sneering at him is vile. He at least had the guts to call radical islam a "cancer on society" after which that wanker Angus Robertson from SNP couldn't wait to point out that not all terrorist attacks are islamic, no you fat cunt, only 99% of them.

Virtue signalling toads, the lot of them. :angry-cussingblack:
It was a farce. Shouty, sniping, can't-get-a-word-in-edgeways nonsense. And yeah, fucking Angus Robertson - quite clear whose postal votes he's out grubbing for, eh.

Corbyn managed the quite remarkable feat of being less interesting than Tim Farron. As for Theresa May - well, if outcomes are anything to go by, she made a good decision in not bothering to turn up and participating in this mess.
Theresa May is an animated scarecrow who makes Steersman look almost human. She is visibly horrified whenever she has to talk with ordinary people. She makes more U-turns than a spinning dancer. She called the election because she thought she would get a landslide victory handed on a platter. Now the polls are not looking so great anymore. She fucked up, as she will fuck up Brexit if she wins after all. Unfortunately, enough turkeys may be voting for Christmas for that to happen. While I am no fan of Corbyn, I will be laughing my head off should he become the next PM. Poetic justice.

The Tory campaign has been so shambolic it has done the unthinkable - make Corbyn seems half-crebible. :lol:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jan Steen wrote: Theresa May is an animated scarecrow who makes Steersman look almost human. She is visibly horrified whenever she has to talk with ordinary people. She makes more U-turns than a spinning dancer. She called the election because she thought she would get a landslide victory handed on a platter. Now the polls are not looking so great anymore. She fucked up, as she will fuck up Brexit if she wins after all. Unfortunately, enough turkeys may be voting for Christmas for that to happen. While I am no fan of Corbyn, I will be laughing my head off should he become the next PM. Poetic justice.
Well, Theresa and the tories have been utterly wank, that's for sure. They certainly don't deserve to win - not that Corbyn does, either. That said, should he win (certainly not impossible now), I'll definitely be laughing my tits off at the prospect of Diane Abbott as Home Secretary.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Linus wrote:What some unknown internet commenter says doesn't tell us anything about any field.
What I find odd about those comments is that they insisted on finding sense into nonsense even after it was declared to be nonsense. Some even denied that it is possible to write any nonsense. This is a position that is often expressed in po-mo circles: Derrida for example more or less argued that all texts produced or just read by human beings cannot be without a meaning. Hell according to him human confer meaning to reality and so everything is a text (and can be deconstructed).

Does this prove that all po-mo disciplines are nothing but bullshit? Of course not. But it shows that the flaws of fields inspired by post-modernism seem to be close to what prominent post-modern philosophers believed to be true, namely that there's no real distinction between sense ad nonsense.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Kirbmarc wrote:Funny thing: the journal which published Sokal's hoax back in 1996 apparently didn't have a process of peer-review back then. The journal which published Lindsay and Boghossian's article, as shitty as it might be, apparently had a process of peer-review.

Of course this doesn't mean much, since Sokal's article appeared on a journal which also published articles from famous po-mo sociologists, which of course made his hoax much more of a scandal. But still, it's funny to see how even shitty journals at least go through the motions of setting up a process of peer-review these days.
That peer-review process was probably as thorough as the peer reviews that the peer-reviewed works of Dr. Richard Carrier PhD were submitted to.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Sunder wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Still, I approve of this post, because I think Paul deserves to have the wind taken out of his sails by one of his own at every opportunity. He needs constant reminders that being a good feminist ally means never being able to enjoy anything guilt-free.
Meyers needs to realise SJW rule #1 - anti-semitism is OK, especially when it is dressed up as "criticism of Israel or the IDF".

:popcorn:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Easy J wrote:I was hoping that the 3 or 4 conservative students still breathing would get the bright idea to get themselves excluded from something for being white & file charges. The faculty seem to be thoroughly cowed, if not outright colluding with the mob & might give them their way. They've already told the campus police to stand down, which is a legally risky move.

I don't know the law, but I thought just holding an event that officially excludes people on the basis of race or gender was asking for a civil rights case. I doubt the government would be proactive on this. I'm praying for a shitlord to step in & seize the day.
For as horrible as Title XI is, the few men that have filed complaints seemed to get positive results. That is what these students should do. File a Title XI complaint. It is cheap, easy and more likely effective than any other procedure that is on the books (because its enforcement is off the books).

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Jan Steen wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Funny thing: the journal which published Sokal's hoax back in 1996 apparently didn't have a process of peer-review back then. The journal which published Lindsay and Boghossian's article, as shitty as it might be, apparently had a process of peer-review.

That peer-review process was probably as thorough as the peer reviews that the peer-reviewed works of Dr. Richard Carrier PhD were submitted to.
Somebody should write a software which generates word-salad abstracts full of Dickie's favorite tropes, like citing himself, boasting about his intelligence, insulting critic as dishonest or stupid, and doing bullshit Bayesian analyses. Possibly top if off with a reference to semen play.

Billie from Ockham

Kirbmarc wrote:I can at least answer to this, given that I've published a couple of articles in journals with a relatively high impact factor (not gender studies journals, but I assume they operate in the same way): those journals check at least one thing, namely the credentials of the authors of the paper. Lindsay and Boghossian invented two fake authors for the hoax paper, and couldn't invent fake credentials: that's highly unethical to say the least, possibly illegal.

Journals with a high or just relatively impact factor don't publish articles from a nobody who can't certify that they have at least a doctorate in their field, or who's not a co-author of someone who can vouch for them (like a grad student co-authoring a paper with their professor).

Hell many journals with a high impact factor don't publish articles of people who have published less than a certain number of articles in other, relatively less renowned journals, or of people who have published something but whose articles haven't been cited a lot. Their publishers don't admit this openly, but it is known.

That's why the best way to get a foot in the door in academia (at least in linguistics) is to co-author a few papers with your professor(s) while you're a grad student, then try to get your doctorate thesis published (again, your professors may help).
Your experience differs from mine, to say the least.

Besides publishing 50 papers, I've been the action editor (i.e., the person who makes the final decision) on dozens of papers, for five different journals, including some for two of the highest-ranked journals in my field (Psychological Science and Psychological Review). I have never checked anyone's credentials. No good journal in my field requires any specific degree. And none requires any previous publications.

The same goes for the best all-field journals, such as Nature and Science.

This is the standard, public policy, and there are no secret requirements. The paper is accepted or rejected based on the content. Some good psych journals still require double-blind review (although it is often easy to figure out who wrote it).

Yeah, I'm aware that some people phone-in their review when a big name is on it, but (good) action eds will actually send the paper out for some additional reviews when this happens (and stop using the reviewer who signed their gushing review).

What field has the requirements ... official or secret ... that you listed above? That's vile.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Tigzy wrote:
Jan Steen wrote: Theresa May is an animated scarecrow who makes Steersman look almost human. She is visibly horrified whenever she has to talk with ordinary people. She makes more U-turns than a spinning dancer. She called the election because she thought she would get a landslide victory handed on a platter. Now the polls are not looking so great anymore. She fucked up, as she will fuck up Brexit if she wins after all. Unfortunately, enough turkeys may be voting for Christmas for that to happen. While I am no fan of Corbyn, I will be laughing my head off should he become the next PM. Poetic justice.
Well, Theresa and the tories have been utterly wank, that's for sure. They certainly don't deserve to win - not that Corbyn does, either. That said, should he win (certainly not impossible now), I'll definitely be laughing my tits off at the prospect of Diane Abbott as Home Secretary.
Yeah, that would be most entertaining. Fortunately a Home Secretary can't do much damage.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Tigzy wrote:
As Home Secretary (lol), she would have to work with Mi5 and Special Branch, orgs she wanted abolished a few years ago. She would also have to tackle knife crime in London. Oooooo, tricky. :)

Billie from Ockham

deLurch wrote:For as horrible as Title XI is, the few men that have filed complaints seemed to get positive results.
Please note that for every title a man gets, a woman gets only nine elevenths.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jan Steen wrote: Yeah, that would be most entertaining. Fortunately a Home Secretary can't do much damage.
I have a feeling Abbott could buck that trend. She's precisely the kind of stupid which could see her emerge from a pillowfort with a concussion.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:

Somebody should write a software which generates word-salad abstracts full of Dickie's favorite tropes, like citing himself, boasting about his intelligence, insulting critic as dishonest or stupid, and doing bullshit Bayesian analyses. Possibly top if off with a reference to semen play.
Say what you will, but Sticky Dicky's post on Ophelia Benson's blog in which he revealed his sexual preferences in too much detail was probably the funniest thing ever on FTB. And second place goes to the good doctor's blog post in which he was looking for a date, preferably a retired hooker who liked to talk dirty. I salute him for that. Thanks for all the laughs, Dr. Carrier.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:Somebody should write a software which generates word-salad abstracts full of Dickie's favorite tropes, like citing himself, boasting about his intelligence, insulting critic as dishonest or stupid, and doing bullshit Bayesian analyses. Possibly top if off with a reference to semen play.

Maybe they have. Have you ever actually seen him in the flesh? I've seen some footage of an animatronic jerking on the dance floor but that's all.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Tigzy wrote:
Jan Steen wrote: Yeah, that would be most entertaining. Fortunately a Home Secretary can't do much damage.
I have a feeling Abbott could buck that trend. She's precisely the kind of stupid which could see her emerge from a pillowfort with a concussion.
She is Labour's Connie St Louis.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

So Linus is trying to prove what? What, exactly, is your point if indeed you have one? That the hoax paper proved nothing and was worthless? It certainly brought a lot of attention, didn't it? Why don't you clarify what point you're making, before this is shunted off to another thread.

Really?

Post by Really? »

deLurch wrote:
Really? wrote:Fuck that shit. After a decade of "jokes are the same as reality" and "how dare you make those jokes about Obama", I'm done with that shit. People like her (and her New Year's boyfriend Mr. Vanderbilt) have created a world in which you lose your fucking career if you talk shit about the president, even jokingly. And in this case, "threaten his life" according to their bullshit.

Does FTB accept apologies for obvious jokes and let up? Fuck no.
But did SHE make those arguments? I am more than willing to hold her to her own measuring stick. Personally I am not interested in turning this into a left vs right deal. We don't much appreciate it when we are slandered with someone else's actions. Sargon got slammed by thunderf00t for Vee cracking tasteless jokes when all he did was laugh at one of them.

Nope. Show me where SHE made those arguments and then I will consider holding her to her own stick. Not someone else's measuring tape.
Okay. Here.
On May 30, comedian Kathy Griffin tweeted a photo of herself holding a head that was supposed to be President Trump’s, intimating that Trump had been beheaded.
The New York Daily News reported that the photographer behind the photo, Tyler Shields, defended it as an example of “art.”

Shields also said that Griffin initiated talks that led to the photo, saying, “She came to me. She said she’d like to do something political, that she’d love to do something that makes a statement.” He added, “It’s always a collaboration. It wasn’t completely her, but it wasn’t completely me either. Without Kathy, I would’ve never done a photo like that. She’s the only person I can ever see doing this … Not a lot of people are fearless enough to do something like this.”

This is ironic when one considers January 8, 2011 — the date on which Representative Gabby Giffords (D-AZ) was shot by the mentally ill Jared Loughner. That shooting occurred after former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had asked conservative voters to target certain Congressional districts in the 2010 midterm elections, so as to vote representatives who voted for Obamacare out of office.

Palin’s political action committee, SarahPAC, had released a graphic showing crosshairs on 20 swing districts then held by Democrats in Congress that could flip to Republicans. Due to Palin’s successful endorsements of candidates in those swing districts, 19 of those 20 targeted races were won by Republicans ...

This is how Griffin reacted to news of the attack on Giffords:
http://media.breitbart.com/media/2017/0 ... T-LIST.jpg

The left, if you'll recall, fell over themselves to say that this tweet resulted in violence, and so on. Oh, and did you know that there were two thwarted attacks on Trump in the 24 hours after the Griffin photos came out? Why can't we apply the same logic?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... -shooting/

CaptainFluffyBunny

I miss Carrier. He seems so very low-profile online lately. Any word on the lawsuit?

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

[youtube][/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Tigzy wrote:
Oh christ, please don't even joke. The fucking moron, imagine that useless blob being the minutes taker at a meeting to decide what biscuits should be served at the real meeting, and how much she would fuck that up. Then imagine her being the chair of that real meeting. Oh fuck, no.

free thoughtpolice

fuzzy wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Forget Richard Attenborough. This is the best documentary on wildlife sexual behavior ever made! :clap: :clap: :lol:
:drool:

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

WSJ article by Bret Weinstein, the Evergreen guy. Like most of us here, he targets Critical Theory and Postmodernism as the root causes of the nonsense.

I agree with what Rubin said in the interview, that his case is important because it's so painfully obvious that he's not got a racist bone in his body - so it highlights the nonsensical nature of the charges against him.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Keating wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:Btw, in what world does anyone think someone holding up the severed head of a sitting president of the USA is funny? An image like that might be funny in the context of a political cartoon, say - but just the holding up of a head, why is that supposed to be funny?
Harmful Opinions opening is funny:

[youtube][/youtube]
Best reply:
Racist bitch culturally appropriates Islam.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:So Linus is trying to prove what? What, exactly, is your point if indeed you have one? That the hoax paper proved nothing and was worthless? It certainly brought a lot of attention, didn't it? Why don't you clarify what point you're making, before this is shunted off to another thread.
Im beginning to think he's not exactly trying to prove a point but more like arguing we should denounced the heretics and repent for our sins.

He seem to be under the impression that we put a lot of weight in the hoax itself when basing our opinions that Gender Studies is predominantly pomo hogwash. I have not read all of your post, i find the controversy a bit boring tbh, so i could be wrong and sorry if i am Linus but that is what im getting so far from the posts i have read.

For me its a funny hoax, another small brick in the wall. A brick of small value perhaps, a brick that is at face value probably worth a dozen reelpearreview tweets but unlike a reelpearreview tweet, that brick was seen by tons and tons of people.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:So Linus is trying to prove what? What, exactly, is your point if indeed you have one? That the hoax paper proved nothing and was worthless? It certainly brought a lot of attention, didn't it? Why don't you clarify what point you're making, before this is shunted off to another thread.
Im beginning to think he's not exactly trying to prove a point but more like arguing we should denounced the heretics and repent for our sins.

He seem to be under the impression that we put a lot of weight in the hoax itself when basing our opinions that Gender Studies is predominantly pomo hogwash. I have not read all of your post, i find the controversy a bit boring tbh, so i could be wrong and sorry if i am Linus but that is what im getting so far from the posts i have read.

For me its a funny hoax, another small brick in the wall. A brick of small value perhaps, a brick that is at face value probably worth a dozen reelpearreview tweets but unlike a reelpearreview tweet, that brick was seen by tons and tons of people.
Would someone please explain the criteria by which one can tell that one POMO paper is a hoax and another one is not? Why is the Penis paper a hoax and the paper cited by Jerry Coyne at WEIT called "Deconstructing the evidence-based discourse in health sciences: Truth, power and fascism" not a hoax? Cause I call both of them bullshit.

Really?

Post by Really? »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Would someone please explain the criteria by which one can tell that one POMO paper is a hoax and another one is not? Why is the Penis paper a hoax and the paper cited by Jerry Coyne at WEIT called "Deconstructing the evidence-based discourse in health sciences: Truth, power and fascism" not a hoax? Cause I call both of them bullshit.
In this case, intent is magic.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Really? wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:
And that was good :D

free thoughtpolice

Really? wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:
On the other hand you can publish int the top GS journal and appeal to authority, and you word salad becomes true:
Evaluating the principal criticisms, the authors defend the underlying concept of masculinity, which in most research use is neither reified nor essentialist. However, the criticism of trait models of gender and rigid typologies is sound. The treatment of the subject in research on hegemonic masculinity can be improved with the aid of recent psychological models, although limits to discursive flexibility must be recognized. The concept of hegemonic masculinity does not equate to a model of social reproduction; we need to recognize social struggles in which subordinated masculinities influence dominant forms.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Out of curiosity, what is a top GS journal?

Is it a journal in the top of the list of journals that only publish GS papers?

Or reputable journals that often publish GS papers whether the journal is primarily based in another discipline like sociology, psychology, anthropology, etc?

free thoughtpolice

pro-boxing-fan wrote:Out of curiosity, what is a top GS journal?

Or reputable journals that often publish GS papers whether the journal is primarily based in another discipline like sociology, psychology, anthropology, etc?
This one seems to be top rated, only publishes 10% of submissions and was the source for that last quote I gave from one of its most read articles.
http://journals.sagepub.com/home/gas

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

What is the ratio of GS papers published in specialized GS journal vs other pomo friendly journals?

Where was the Feminist Glaciology paper published? (Progress in Human Geography, field of Human Geography)

Where was the Intersectional Quantum Physics paper published? (the minnesota review: a journal of creative and critical writing)

And more broadly, where do Critical Plants Study scholar publish their paper? Is there a journal specialized in Critical Plants Study?

CaptainFluffyBunny

free thoughtpolice wrote:

This one seems to be top rated, only publishes 10% of submissions and was the source for that last quote I gave from one of its most read articles.
Ah yes, GAS. I should have known that the top-rated Gender Studies journal would be GAS. It's not just something to pass freely.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

So its a sociology and a gender studies journal. It guess its fair to say that its a Gender Study journal. It's also rank at #933 of all journals according to this guy:

http://www.acsh.org/news/2017/05/22/top ... ence-11311

Don't think this mean much but its an interesting bit for what its worth.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Maybe there is a specialized journal solely dedicated to Critical Plants Study after all.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Ah yes, GAS. I should have known that the top-rated Gender Studies journal would be GAS. It's not just something to pass freely.
And the most-cited paper from GAS is...
Hegemonic Masculinity
Rethinking the Concept

Abstract
The concept of hegemonic masculinity has influenced gender studies across many academic fields but has also attracted serious criticism. The authors trace the origin of the concept in a convergence of ideas in the early 1980s and map the ways it was applied when research on men and masculinities expanded. Evaluating the principal criticisms, the authors defend the underlying concept of masculinity, which in most research use is neither reified nor essentialist. However, the criticism of trait models of gender and rigid typologies is sound. The treatment of the subject in research on hegemonic masculinity can be improved with the aid of recent psychological models, although limits to discursive flexibility must be recognized. The concept of hegemonic masculinity does not equate to a model of social reproduction; we need to recognize social struggles in which subordinated masculinities influence dominant forms. Finally, the authors review what has been confirmed from early formulations (the idea of multiple masculinities, the concept of hegemony, and the emphasis on change) and what needs to be discarded (onedimensional treatment of hierarchy and trait conceptions of gender). The authors suggest reformulation of the concept in four areas: a more complex model of gender hierarchy, emphasizing the agency of women; explicit recognition of the geography of masculinities, emphasizing the interplay among local, regional, and global levels; a more specific treatment of embodiment in contexts of privilege and power; and a stronger emphasis on the dynamics of hegemonic masculinity, recognizing internal contradictions and the possibilities of movement toward gender democracy.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

screwtape wrote:I've been bingeing on Game of Thrones in preparation for season 7 next month. I started to wonder why Daenerys Targaryen, who evidently possesses so much white privilege she must choke on it - especially as the shithead uses it to free thousands of brown-skinned slaves - hasn't been called out by our more social-justice-aware brethren? How much fucking privilege do you have to have to free all these slaves?

https://static.businessinsider.com/imag ... /image.jpg

Little blonde bastard deserves to be shamed by the worthy horde for not listening and believing her betters. Silly cunt ought to pretend to be a Yunkai slave and keep pet rats in the badlands and then she could be useful by having an FTB blog. But no, she goes on freeing slaves and refusing to wear a hijab, the privileged bitch. Someone ought to tell PZ - he'd sort her out!
RE: Game of Thrones
I was really hoping that Martin was going to subvert the genre, but it appears it's set up to have a happily ever after ending. Daenerys will marry Jon and she'll get pregnant even though she's not supposed to be able to. I already know that my favorite evil character is getting killed off, as the actor who plays said evil character has signed on to another series.

katamari Damassi

You must understand the pressure that journal is under.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

MarcusAu wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Peterson is developing a dry wit that travels well. Even if you don't agree with him his delivery is infinitely preferable the snark or hysteria that counts as commentary elsewhere.
Sounds like a good sales technique.

However, there really needs to be some critical examination of the content of what he is saying. An article on Skepchick or a 'debate' with that 'gender does not exist' guy on Canadian TV does not really cut it.

Some of the stuff he says sounds useful and is short and pithy enough to meme-ify easily - but it is still to be determined what will happen in the medium to long term.
I like a lot of what Peterson says about postmodernism and communism and personality types determining your politics and all that. But I watched his first lecture on the Bible and the beginning of the second, and when it comes to religion, he's as postmodern as any of them. Read a text, interpret it tenuously and at great length so that it confirms the message you want it to confirm, call it "phenomenologically accurate".

The problem with the Youtube-Patreon axis is that it makes everyone televangelists. Your income depends on telling the people who support you what they want to hear. You become a prisoner of your audience, which I think explains the problems most of us have with Sargon's recent directions. TJ Kirk used to be unpredictable, but now he's trapped and I think he knows it - he looks more and more defeated every time I see a video from him. Peterson seems to be playing it well so far - he's not just talking about how SJWs are ruining everything, even though that's why he's so popular - and maybe he's smart enough to avoid the trap.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Kiwi in Oz wrote:
This is not pie in the sky, or magic porridge pot thinking. It is how the monetary system works in the UK, Australia, USA, Canada, NZ, Norway, etc.

So, back to your original point. Labour would not have to borrow huge sums in order to fund its manifesto. There may be other political and economic implications of spending the money to fund its manifesto, but paying it back is not one of them.
There are or must be reasons why countries like Canada, US, and others borrow money rather than just printing more. IANAE but it seems that the idea is the amount of money in circulation reflects the overall production of the country. The more you print without increasing overall productivity, the less the value of your currency and eventually you take a hit on your standard of living.
If fiat money was so easy, there'd be no need for taxation - the government could fund all the public services it wanted with the money it just created. But money is still tied to the productivity of the economy. Any economic growth that isn't the result of increased production will ultimately be wiped out by inflation or recession. Quantitative easing, if done judiciously, can stimulate economic productivity and so fund itself. But indescriminate money creation will only end up with hyperinflation as the same amount of economic value is divided into an ever-larger number of currency units. There is still no magic money tree.

katamari Damassi

The second part of feminist Lysenkoism from King Crocoduck.

[youtube][/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Some hypocrisy on Kathy Griffin's part:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Kathy Griffin Scolds Elisabeth Hasselbeck Over Obama Question: ‘Take It Down A Notch, B*tch!’
During a segment on Bravo’s Kathy on Thursday, Kathy Griffin tore into Elisabeth Hasselbeck‘s critical question to President Obama on The View about gay marriage, where Hasselbeck asked the president how he would “move things forward any more than Mitt Romney.” With Hasselbeck’s “attitude to the president, who was a Harvard Law professor, I’m, like, take it down a notch, bitch,” Griffin said.

“That body language,” Griffin added, “I don’t like that. I don’t like Jan Brewer in Arizona going like this to the President on the tarmac. I don’t like that. When I was on The View, Barbara Walters said you respect the office.”
:lol:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:But then you can always count on the horde to drop a Mars Bar in the pool:
Ieuw!
Thou shalt not have joy.

There's a branch of orthodox Protestantism named 'Bevindelijk Gereformeerd' in the Netherlands that seems to have adopted that position, too.