Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
katamari Damassi

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by katamari Damassi »

deLurch wrote: I think the two biggest things that Steve Shives has going for him is that A) he is not perceived to have any power, authority or influence B) he is married and not busy trying to fuck any women beyond his wife.

To the feminists, he is a slightly mentally retarded "ally" that tries to say the right things. There is no value in taking him down, unless he blocks one of them and pisses off the wrong person.
:P

I'm still willing to bet that Shives' wife will accuse him of rape within the next 5 years.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Guest_808fb108 wrote:If there are more than 2 genders, why does the B in LGBT stand for bi-sexual?
Clearly they a cissexist phobes if they refuse to sleep with the other 70+ genders.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Shives is in the clear on any police reported accusations such as that so long as he doesn't have children and then get divorced. And she is so homely and nasty to deal with, mega-beta-male Shives is the best she can do. I think their marriage is secure so long as Shives is willing to continually tuck his tail between his legs.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Things are stable until they are not.

Who could tell what would happen if a wildcard - such as Richard Carrier - was introduced into the mix.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Karmakin wrote:Anybody else think the Tuvel affair, if not the torpedo that sinks the SJW battleship, certainly has the whole thing listing a bit?
My eldest child is in college, wherein her history class might as well be labeled "A History of Patriarchy and White Males Behaving Badly To Poor Oppressed Brown People." The school district my others are in is flailing and failing while making certain everybody knows how "inclusive" they are. I'm giving up assisting the school chess club because, with a tournament coming up, they spent the money for chess clocks on silver and gold chess sets because the others apparently had racist overtones. All across the nation (and I understand it's even worse in the UK) school districts are failing to provide even a basic education while making sure the feelings of every "marginalized" student are catered to. While males, especially white males are expected to take it on the chin, because they must be so much more resilient than everybody else.

So forgive the rant, but I think SJWism will be with us for some time. They have indoctrinated a generation of snowflakes, and they only see things in absolute black and white.
I agree that we'll have to deal with Po-Mo ideas for quite a while. There's been a lot of backlash but the foundations of the power of the Po-Mo left are still there.

What would really kill the Po-Mo left would be an anti-Po-Mo left. If there was an organized movement which dealt with issues like police brutality, poverty, lack of healthcare, welfare reform, the failure of the War on Drugs, the problems with bail and lack of legal representation for poor people, the issues with child support and divorce for poor people, etc. from an anti-identitarian, anti-Po-Mo perspective without dismissing those issues as beyond reformation or non-existent then the Po-Mo explanations would fall out of fashion.

If there had been a general, inclusive movement against all instances of police brutality we wouldn't have had Black Lives Matter with all of its issues. If the general consensus on the left was to criticize the War on Drugs, the privatization of the justice system and of the correctional system and the militarization of the police in a race-neutral or mostly race-neutral fashion we wouldn't have had racial divisions on the matter. High incarceration, prisoners-for-cash systems, bails as a source of income, lack of good legal representation and the use of plea bargaining as a blunt instrument which forces poor people to settle and go to jail to avoid paying fine that they cannot pay are issues that affect poor people regardless of race; there might be more poor non-white people who get in trouble with the police but it's not like poor white people get it much better when they have to go through the system.

The same thing is true for healthcare and welfare. Having a functioning and accessible healthcare system, and a welfare system which helps people to get back on their feet in times of need and to find a job instead of creating poverty traps or to have access to education for those who are skilled enough are common issues, not racial ones, and they don't need to be be expressed through the perspective of race. You can deal with those people without blaming all white people or telling them to shut up, and basing your proposals on real data, not narratives of "microaggression". Same for regulating the power of corporations over small businesses or of lobbies and donors in politics.

The problem isn't just Po-Mo theories, it's those people who have used Po-Mo theories (like Critical Race Theory) to create a solid voting block of non-white people for the Democratic Party, all while not caring about the real issues of poor white males or whites in general. The "rainbow coalition" electoral project has by and large failed. Donald Trump has shown that a Republican candidate who knows how to appeal to blue-collar white people can win over the Big Coalition of white middle and upper class city dwellers and non-white voters.

It's time for the Democrats to revise their strategy, to appeal to the public by proposing solutions to real issues, not simply "diversity", by ditching identity politics and focusing on problems which are affecting all disadvantaged communities. If the Dems can become the party which cares about those common issues which affect all kinds of Americans then they can trounce the Republicans, especially if the GOP stays focused on his strategy not to care about those issues. Non-white people affected by those issues will likely vote for the Dems along with white people who share their concerns.

I think that if Bernie Sanders and his inner movement for the reformation of the Democratic Party field a candidate who wins the Dem nomination over the candidate of the Po-Mo supporting, corporate-friendly branch of the Democratic Party and if this candidate defeats Donald Trump in 2020 the Po-Mo left will suffer a huge blow. Only a saner left can truly defeat the insane left, the right only radicalizes the crazies, which makes them stand out and lose some credibility but also makes other, less insane leftists side with them just to criticize and oppose the right.

The biggest roadblocks to this project of reformation of the Democratic Party are the DNC (staffed by Clinton loyalists and by insane Po-Mo leftists) academia (which is going off the rails with its support for political violence) leftist media (where there are still many Po-Mo journos) the big corporate donors/sponsors (which promote the Po-Mo left because it's a good way to look progressive without doing much to change their practices) and the political dynasties within the Democratic establishment (not just the Clintons but also the Obamas, the remnants of the power of the Kennedys, etc.).

Academia is suffering some huge blows, the leftist media are being criticized, but the DNC likely won't reform itself, the big donors/sponsors are unlikely to support a new Democratic paradigm that might hurt their inexpensive approach to "cosmetic progressivism" and the dynasties are still with us (Hillary Clinton hasn't retired, Chelsea Clinton is a rising star, people are even talking about a possible candidacy of Michelle Obama). Unless there's a Grassroot Democrat takeover of the Democratic Party between now and 2020 I'm afraid that the Po-Mo left will take a few blows but remain afloat for quite a while.

The worst case scenario for those who vote Democratic and support leftist ideas is a Democratic Party which nominates Clinton again or another weak candidate which is perceived as more of the establishment and loses to Donald Trump again in 2020. I think that the Dems can avoid this, but they need to work a lot on reforming themselves.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

MarcusAu wrote:Things are stable until they are not.
Who could tell what would happen if a wildcard - such as Richard Carrier - was introduced into the mix.
I do have to conceed that she does have a plus. Any chance we could crowd fund a trip for Carrier to go speak & meet up with the Shives? Maybe a bar night. See where things go from there.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

deLurch wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:Things are stable until they are not.
I do have to conceed that she does have a plus. Any chance we could crowd fund a trip for Carrier to go speak & meet up with the Shives? Maybe a bar night. See where things go from there.
We'll know that we succeeded if Steve's baseball hat will show some suspicious stains.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Anyone want to meet up in Sydney tonight? Work finished early and I don't want to head back to Canberra yet.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote:Anyone want to meet up in Sydney tonight? Work finished early and I don't want to head back to Canberra yet.
Next time you are in Brisbane.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Are you just as pissed as my colleague who believes the Australian governments hates Kiwisin Oz?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote:Are you just as pissed as my colleague who believes the Australian governments hates Kiwisin Oz?
No. I haven't yet had a drink tonight.

Do I think they hate us? Nah.

Do they under estimate the role that we play in Australian society and economy by focusing on a few negative elements? Yeah.

Does this give me the irrits? Sometimes.

But thanks to citizenship requirements I am now bilingual in Aussie and Kiwi English, and have passed the test to prove it.

Keating

Post by Keating »

My colleague was about a month away from being able to apply for citizenship when the rules changed and has kids who will be university age before the next election.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Well, guess I'll go home then. I'll try not to kill any wombats on the way.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Keating wrote:Anyone want to meet up in Sydney tonight? Work finished early and I don't want to head back to Canberra yet.
No one ever wants to head to Canberra.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote:My colleague was about a month away from being able to apply for citizenship when the rules changed and has kids who will be university age before the next election.
That's why we jumped in and got ours - they were changing the conditions back with the Gillard Govt (IIRC) (or was it Abbott?) - and our kids were at/getting ready to go to Uni. We all passed our Tb tests despite having been here for 10 years prior, and I had to sit my English test to get enough points (I was getting too old at 44) despite being a native speaker, having a PhD from a NZ Uni, etc.

Watch those low flying wombats.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Keating wrote:Are you just as pissed as my colleague who believes the Australian governments hates Kiwisin Oz?
No. I haven't yet had a drink tonight.

Do I think they hate us? Nah.

Do they under estimate the role that we play in Australian society and economy by focusing on a few negative elements? Yeah.

Does this give me the irrits? Sometimes.

But thanks to citizenship requirements I am now bilingual in Aussie and Kiwi English, and have passed the test to prove it.
As an Oz in NZ, I once made the mistake of looking for a pair of goth-styled sandals I had in front of some colleagues at work because like we're all ladies and we love shoes shut up. So I typed in SPIKY THONGS.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

katamari Damassi wrote:I've been binge watching The Americans, and I love how the Soviets are portrayed as being on the right side of history in regards to South Africa, and Afghanistan. It's a good show. Recommended.
I think it's a great series. I liked how, when the daughter joined the Church group, the mother asked what had gone wrong because they'd tried to bring her up with all the right values.

It doesn't overdo the satire but it's nice when it pops up.

Dan

Post by Dan »

dogen wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:
Ophelia is now officially a transphone
https://preview.ibb.co/h3NVo5/1463080118515.png
That's a homophone, shurely?
It looks like a Dictaphone to me

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Would'a if I could'a. But I promised to cook dinner. My wife doesn't work Thursdays or Fridays and these days always knock her around.

:bjarte:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I sent Aneris a PM on the 5th and it is still sitting there in outbox. This was their last logged in day.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 5Rv8p2juHw

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Negotiable Cow...

...nevermind carry on.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

I wish I could find the original version.

[youtube][/youtube]

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

John D wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote::popcorn:

[youtube][/youtube]

Block by Steve Shives in 3, 2, 1...
Fuck me this is some stone-cold redpilled shit. Kind of unbelievable really, but respect to her for being forthright.
I did notice she popped up on some shitlordy streams and wondered if this was the beginning of a perspective shift, which seems to be the case. I think more of this kind of pro-science pro-speech dialogue from her type will diminish sjw-ism even further. Popcorn indeed.
Wow. Laci takes an internet break and comes back with her brain (which had been previously lost). This sort of shit gives me hope.

Even my Polyamorous son-in-law laughed when I said "So.. if gender is a social construct that is not binary and is on a continuum can we stop talking about the gender wage gap?!" Hehe.

I do think this is significant, and tbh even if her motivation is purely 'I need to move with the prevailing current' it doesn't matter. One of the worst aspects about Laci's scene of intersectional politics is that it has mislead a huge number of impressionable young people and stuff like this can give them 'permission' to re-assess.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Laci's literally Hitler.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I finally got to watch Prometheus.

Fucking stupid people and decisions start to finish.

But I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Full speech from Saad and Meyer now up:
[youtube][/youtube]

The senators are mostly hostile/confused as to the issue. Also Canada's graphic design is adorably outdated, the text looks like something form an 80s cookery show. Cute.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I finally got to watch Prometheus.

Spoilers.

That's the movie where some big ass ship is crashing down and they run parallel and under it rather than laterally eh?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Yep, that very one.

Plus, Scott said regarding inspiration for the film:
Both NASA and the Vatican agree that it is almost mathematically impossible that we can be where we are today, without there being a little help along the way.
I don't know where he got the NASA stuff, but I may have to call bullshit.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I've just bet 5c that NASA's "help" and that referenced by the Vatican are two different concepts.

And neither involve aliens.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote:I've just bet 5c that NASA's "help" and that referenced by the Vatican are two different concepts.

And neither involve aliens.
That's just where you are wrong

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 3,200_.jpg

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote:

Spoilers.

That's the movie where some big ass ship is crashing down and they run parallel and under it rather than laterally eh?
I knew there was something wrong with that movie when the android made a little too much about imitating Lawrence of Arabia. A bit too gay for my liking, by God.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

shoutinghorse wrote:Laci's literally Hitler.
*sits back and waits for the reaction videos*

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

deLurch wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:Peterson has criticised atheists - in particular Sam Harris - describing him as 'hyper-rational' (if memory serves) and seems to intimate that atheism (or it's consequences) is more than not sufficient, but that it is in fact antithetical to living in modern society.
That is almost spot on his argument. He has said that people can get away with following atheism for a while, but it will break down eventually because we need to believe in God and the Christ figure for ourselves to make sense of the world.
Ah well, there's the rub.

Perhaps, I just have too much faith in humanity (or reason, or science) - at least in comparison with the amount I place in anything else.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:
deLurch wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:Peterson has criticised atheists - in particular Sam Harris - describing him as 'hyper-rational' (if memory serves) and seems to intimate that atheism (or its consequences) is more than not sufficient, but that it is in fact antithetical to living in modern society.
That is almost spot on his argument. He has said that people can get away with following atheism for a while, but it will break down eventually because we need to believe in God and the Christ figure for ourselves to make sense of the world.
I happen to think that Peterson is a great thinker when it comes to the psychology of politics but that his main flaw is that his epistemology is...peculiar, to say the least. He has a completely utilitarian approach to his theory of truth based on the aim of survival both at an individual and at a humanity level so true is what leads to survival and false is what leads to death. However this epistemology leads to countless problems.

Let's suppose that one person allergic to nuts (but doesn't know this) and one who isn't (and is similarly unaware of the first's person allergy to nuts) are stuck on an island with only bags of nuts as a means to survive until they're rescued. The person allergic to nuts cannot survive, while the person who's not allergic can, even though they're in the exact same situation.

Let's suppose that those persons aren't on the island at the same time. The first person who isn't allergic to nuts is stuck there first, then is rescued, and leaves behind a map that shows where he hid the nuts. He labels the place where the nuts are hidden as "supplies". The second person, the one allergic to nuts, is stuck on the island later, finds the map, is led to the nuts and therefore dies due to his unknown allergy to nuts.

Now, did the first person leave behind misleading information? According to Peterson's epistemology if we consider the situation from the perspective of the second person he must have, since the information he left to the second person led to the second person's death, so to a false belief. But again according to Peterson's epistemology if we consider the situation from the perspective of the first person he didn't, since eating nuts is what allowed him to survive, so it must be a true belief.

So we can see that in Peterson's epistemology the truth value of a statement is subjective, and therefore his own idea that atheism leads to despair and death and is therefore false is also subjective (it might happen to some people but not to others, like in the case of the allergy to nuts).

A possible reply, again using Peterson's epistemology, is that his opinion on atheism is based on a statistical, not an individual basis, and that atheism is false because it leads to a relatively lower number of births when compared to religion, which is true.

There is some basis to a statistical approach to Peterson's epistemology (it certainly works better than on an individual level) but his case against atheism is far from clear, since it implies that more births lead to the survival of humanity. This is an unwarranted assumption.

If resources are limited an exponential growth of the world's population could lead to resource depletion, wars for those dwindling resources and eventually the use of weapons which might compromise the survival of humanity. Another possibility is that growth might lead to higher energy consumption and consequently to climate change which again might compromise the survival of humanity. In both cases limiting births in the present would actually prevent human extinction in the future, and so atheism might instead be "true" (i.e. it leads to the survival of the human race).

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

So it all depends on what value of "True" or "Makes Sense" you are prepared to slot into the equation.

Does he reject the Post-Modernists outright - or just resent their encroachment into his section of 'idea space'?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

shoutinghorse wrote:Laci's literally Hitler.
Steve Shives and Peter Coffin, two white dudes, lecture a woman on feminism.

In the case of Peter Coffin this is especially hilarious since Coffin is a former racist and sexist uber-troll who's turned into a SJW uber-troll. Actually I'm not even sure he isn't trolling both sides for his scam about a RealDoll which he claimed to be a real woman and his wife. :lol:

Coffin is very weird. I can't even tell whether he's completely mad, a Parsehole-level troll who has scammed countless idiots into supporting him, or both.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Kirbmarc wrote:What would really kill the Po-Mo left would be an anti-Po-Mo left. If there was an organized movement which dealt with issues like police brutality, poverty, lack of healthcare, welfare reform, the failure of the War on Drugs, the problems with bail and lack of legal representation for poor people, the issues with child support and divorce for poor people, etc. from an anti-identitarian, anti-Po-Mo perspective without dismissing those issues as beyond reformation or non-existent then the Po-Mo explanations would fall out of fashion.
I agree with that, to the point where I feel like the Po-Mo left spent more time attacking the anti-Po-Mo left than they did the right, well at least until Trump got elected (oops!) It wasn't a sort of normal attack...it was more along the lines of DON'T LOOK BEHIND THE CURTAIN THEY REALLY DON'T EXIST PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T LOOK ANY DEEPER INTO IT. That's why presenting a non-SJW left alternative, is a good thing to work towards (and that's what I personally try to do)

But here's the thing. I'm actually not sure how much it's actually post-modernism, to be honest. I have to argue against that. Because so often it feels like something entirely the opposite. It's not the idea that there isn't any solid knowledge or answers..that culture often comes from a perspective where they have ALL the answers, and anybody who questions them in any way is basically being a flat earther or an anti-vaxxer. I don't believe that's very post-modern at all actually.

The issue, at least to me is people who want sociology and anthropology to be sciences, rather than applied sciences. They want there to be proven models and right and wrong answers that all line up with their ideological beliefs, rather than a set of fluid best practices for observing complicated social phenomenon. So that's how we get things like Oppressor/Oppressed dichotomies, and strong identitarian worldviews. They want to be able to talk about identity groups as distinct classes. Women are X, Men are Y, Whites are Z, Blacks are A and so on. And that allows them to actually have common right and wrong answers.

That's the problem, at least to me.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

John D wrote: Even my Polyamorous son-in-law laughed when I said "So.. if gender is a social construct that is not binary and is on a continuum can we stop talking about the gender wage gap?!" Hehe.
Wouldn't the argument against this be - that the same bigots (ie the Patriarchy) that enforce the gender binary are also responsible for paying those that they identify as having a 'minority' status less ?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Coffin is very weird...
Yeah right, like you've never kicked yourself in the balls for fun or profit.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Ophelia is now officially a transphone
[.url=https://ibb.co/gdVuFk]https://preview.ibb.co/h3NVo5/1463080118515.png[/url]
Lol. Transphone!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Bhurzum wrote:Laci Green is a piefaced lolcow of diminishing relevance. This latest video is a thinly veiled attempt to claw back some time in the limelight and recover some e-fame.

Fuck her.

"Red pilled" my ass.
I am also skeptical, but it is hilarious that the merest hint of her being "red-pilled" has sent some SJWs into a meltdown, inc. wanger Steve Shives.

John D

Post by John D »

Karmakin wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:What would really kill the Po-Mo left would be an anti-Po-Mo left. If there was an organized movement which dealt with issues like police brutality, poverty, lack of healthcare, welfare reform, the failure of the War on Drugs, the problems with bail and lack of legal representation for poor people, the issues with child support and divorce for poor people, etc. from an anti-identitarian, anti-Po-Mo perspective without dismissing those issues as beyond reformation or non-existent then the Po-Mo explanations would fall out of fashion.
I agree with that, to the point where I feel like the Po-Mo left spent more time attacking the anti-Po-Mo left than they did the right, well at least until Trump got elected (oops!) It wasn't a sort of normal attack...it was more along the lines of DON'T LOOK BEHIND THE CURTAIN THEY REALLY DON'T EXIST PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T LOOK ANY DEEPER INTO IT. That's why presenting a non-SJW left alternative, is a good thing to work towards (and that's what I personally try to do)

But here's the thing. I'm actually not sure how much it's actually post-modernism, to be honest. I have to argue against that. Because so often it feels like something entirely the opposite. It's not the idea that there isn't any solid knowledge or answers..that culture often comes from a perspective where they have ALL the answers, and anybody who questions them in any way is basically being a flat earther or an anti-vaxxer. I don't believe that's very post-modern at all actually.

The issue, at least to me is people who want sociology and anthropology to be sciences, rather than applied sciences. They want there to be proven models and right and wrong answers that all line up with their ideological beliefs, rather than a set of fluid best practices for observing complicated social phenomenon. So that's how we get things like Oppressor/Oppressed dichotomies, and strong identitarian worldviews. They want to be able to talk about identity groups as distinct classes. Women are X, Men are Y, Whites are Z, Blacks are A and so on. And that allows them to actually have common right and wrong answers.

All models are wrong, but some are useful.

Even the idea that gender is a non-binary spectrum may be a useful model. I don't personally think "gender spectrum" is very useful because it is so disconnected from biology. It creates more problems than it solves. It does create a way to think of every gender expression as valid and thus it has a certain fairness to it. However, it doesn't explain the difference that is core to our dimorphic biology. This is where it gets into trouble. Many biologically obvious facts must be dismissed in order to make the model work..... too many exceptions makes for a poorly functioning model.

John D

Post by John D »

PS - I will not post the Laci Green video link again.... since you can find it above.... but.... you may find the comments to be very interesting. People are generally positive and telling Laci to invite Christina Hoff Sommers and Jordan Peterson, and Karen Straughan. I don't know... but this may be fun.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

DrokkIt wrote:Full speech from Saad and Meyer now up:
[youtube].[/youtube]

The senators are mostly hostile/confused as to the issue. Also Canada's graphic design is adorably outdated, the text looks like something form an 80s cookery show. Cute.
I watched the whole fucking thing. Those senators fucking annoyed me. Each one of their responses was a strawman, essentially defending C-16 on the basis that there is, apparently, an ongoing "genocide" happening right now, and this bill needs to be implemented so that can virtue signal that they care about stopping that ongoing "genocide". The points raised by Therin and Gad were ignored.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Isaac Asimov did point out that some models are more wrong than others.

The example he gave was that saying the earth is a sphere is wrong (technically it's an oblate spheroid or less technically a 'slightly squashed orange') - but it's more correct than saying the earth is flat.

Shockingly this analogy is still relevant even in the current year.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Myers continues to co-opt "regressive":
Thanks, regressive Republican vermin. You’re all traitors to humanity as well as to your country.

feathers

Post by feathers »

feathers wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/71 ... 4dChcE.jpg

Now there's my girl.
Really? She looks like something you'd find clinging to the side of a nuclear submarine sitting at a thousand feet below the Bering Strait.
You're just jealous because you've never had sex clinging to the side of a nuclear submarine a thousand feet beneath the Bering Strait.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Karmakin wrote:

This is a very interesting post. I think that the core problem with postmodernism isn't the dismissal of solid knowledge, but rather the dismissal of a common reality behind what one knows and one doesn't, and which is the source of evidence and allows for testing of our knowledge, even if our knowledge is just an approximation, not an absolute.

It's good to be skeptical, to have cautionary limits to models even in the "harder" sciences. Margins of errors, criticism of assumptions and of foundations, testing "what ifs?" and alternative models, if only theoretically, proposing conjectures, etc. are part of what makes science an active field.

In physics for example string theory, many-worlds interpretations of quantum mechanics, speculations about the Alcubierre drive, about closed timeline curves, about exotic matter, about dark matter keep scientists on their toes. The Einstenian revolution to Newtonian mechanics is a classic example of when a pretty counter-intuitive speculation about the nature of reality turned out to lead to the advancement of science.

The best property of science isn't that "it works" but that it's self-correcting, that it allows for a mechanism to put conjectures to the test. In this specific sense science is the opposite of belief. In science there's nothing sacred, even long-held assumptions and models which are highly predictive can be revised if there's a better model to explain what the evidence tells us.

The trouble with post-modernism is that it makes assumptions which are impossible to put to the test in a meaningful way. In order to test for something you first have to make precise predictions which can be tested.

There's no way to effectively test standpoint theory, for example, because it's a categorical assumption about all of reality. It makes no precise predictions. One of the problems with standpoint theory as science is that there's no objective way to evaluate standpoints, so the assumption the "oppressed" are less biased than the "privileged" is based on, well, nothing objective. How do you evaluate the bias of the "privileged" is not known, so people slip in their "common sense" assumptions without wondering about whether those are accurate or not because there's no way of telling.

This is a common problem to post-modernism. If there is no way to test assumptions against new evidence in order to correct your assumptions then people are simply going to "explain away" all contradictions and issues according to their dogmas. People simply CAN'T be relativists in all matters: it's a self-contradictory position ("Everything is relative" is a categorical assertion) and it just doesn't map the way people think.

In absence of a common reality which people can test their beliefs against, and adjust them if necessary, people don't become relativists or nihilists, they instead create dogmas that allow them to understand the world according to their preferred ideology. This is why Feyerabend's "open society", where there's no privileged viewpoint and "everything goes" is purely a dream (or part of Feyerabend's attempt to troll people, which I find more likely).

In absence of objectivity there's no tolerance or open-mindedness, there are wars of subjective dogmas and feelings, there's double-thought, double-speak, "alternative facts", reshaping reality, etc. Post-modernism leads to tyranny because of its lack of objective foundations.

As George Orwell said "freedom is saying that 2+2=4. If that is granted, all else follows".

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:
feathers wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/71 ... 4dChcE.jpg

Now there's my girl.
Really? She looks like something you'd find clinging to the side of a nuclear submarine sitting at a thousand feet below the Bering Strait.
You're just jealous because you've never had sex clinging to the side of a nuclear submarine a thousand feet beneath the Bering Strait.
She looks like a very little girl to me. She has that kind of baby face and elfish body structure (small boobs) that I never find sexually attractive.

I prefer women who look like they're adult and have more curves. In GOT there are plenty of hot women but the one I find that I find the hottest is her:

http://games-of-thrones.ru/sites/defaul ... l/7/11.jpg

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

MarcusAu wrote:So it all depends on what value of "True" or "Makes Sense" you are prepared to slot into the equation.
Does he reject the Post-Modernists outright - or just resent their encroachment into his section of 'idea space'?
Outright? No. He explains at lengthy specifically why he thinks this postmodernsim and marxism is dangerous.

With postmoderism he points out that since pomo believes all views are equally valid and there is no reality he believes that to be particularly dangerous as only a tiny few views are actually functional and help promote your own survivability.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
[youtube].[/youtube]

I watched the whole fucking thing. Those senators fucking annoyed me. Each one of their responses was a strawman, essentially defending C-16 on the basis that there is, apparently, an ongoing "genocide" happening right now, and this bill needs to be implemented so that can virtue signal that they care about stopping that ongoing "genocide". The points raised by Therin and Gad were ignored.
Same. That genocide comment may have triggered me because I've spent the day eating digestive biscuits and crying.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Karmakin wrote:

This is a very interesting post. I think that the core problem with postmodernism isn't the dismissal of solid knowledge, but rather the dismissal of a common reality behind what one knows and one doesn't, and which is the source of evidence and allows for testing of our knowledge, even if our knowledge is just an approximation, not an absolute.

It's good to be skeptical, to have cautionary limits to models even in the "harder" sciences. Margins of errors, criticism of assumptions and of foundations, testing "what ifs?" and alternative models, if only theoretically, proposing conjectures, etc. are part of what makes science an active field.

In physics for example string theory, many-worlds interpretations of quantum mechanics, speculations about the Alcubierre drive, about closed timeline curves, about exotic matter, about dark matter keep scientists on their toes. The Einstenian revolution to Newtonian mechanics is a classic example of when a pretty counter-intuitive speculation about the nature of reality turned out to lead to the advancement of science.

The best property of science isn't that "it works" but that it's self-correcting, that it allows for a mechanism to put conjectures to the test. In this specific sense science is the opposite of belief. In science there's nothing sacred, even long-held assumptions and models which are highly predictive can be revised if there's a better model to explain what the evidence tells us.

The trouble with post-modernism is that it makes assumptions which are impossible to put to the test in a meaningful way. In order to test for something you first have to make precise predictions which can be tested.

There's no way to effectively test standpoint theory, for example, because it's a categorical assumption about all of reality. It makes no precise predictions. One of the problems with standpoint theory as science is that there's no objective way to evaluate standpoints, so the assumption the "oppressed" are less biased than the "privileged" is based on, well, nothing objective. How do you evaluate the bias of the "privileged" is not known, so people slip in their "common sense" assumptions without wondering about whether those are accurate or not because there's no way of telling.

This is a common problem to post-modernism. If there is no way to test assumptions against new evidence in order to correct your assumptions then people are simply going to "explain away" all contradictions and issues according to their dogmas. People simply CAN'T be relativists in all matters: it's a self-contradictory position ("Everything is relative" is a categorical assertion) and it just doesn't map the way people think.

In absence of a common reality which people can test their beliefs against, and adjust them if necessary, people don't become relativists or nihilists, they instead create dogmas that allow them to understand the world according to their preferred ideology. This is why Feyerabend's "open society", where there's no privileged viewpoint and "everything goes" is purely a dream (or part of Feyerabend's attempt to troll people, which I find more likely).

In absence of objectivity there's no tolerance or open-mindedness, there are wars of subjective dogmas and feelings, there's double-thought, double-speak, "alternative facts", reshaping reality, etc. Post-modernism leads to tyranny because of its lack of objective foundations.

As George Orwell said "freedom is saying that 2+2=4. If that is granted, all else follows".
Both posts really good, I'd also like to add that po-mo thinking does not submit to logic- it's a nebulous and category-denying practice.
One encounters this when discussing intersectionalism with intersectionalists- their assertions are not only not empirical, but also logically inconsistent (e.g. patriarchy exists but biological sex does not). It amounts to a series of mutually-exclusive dodges (pseudopositions, to use the language of Russell et al) that are just recited ad-infinitum until, as you observe, it is simply dogma and not even wrong.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Same issues as Lost with incoherent character motivations and obsession with mysteries that they don't even bother trying to explore. Not surprising given that Lindelof penned the script. Red Letter Media nails it.

[youtube][/youtube]

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Karmakin wrote:

There's also understanding the limits of knowledge. We can come to a greater understanding of physics, because for the most part, it acts in an entirely consistent, predictable fashion, even if we don't understand all of the underlying causes of why it does that. Human society and culture is NOT consistent, or I guess more accurately, it's much less consistent, so it limits our ability to create predictive models about human interaction.

And that's the thing about SJW culture, is how freaking stark raving mad they get when their predictive models about human interaction are wrong. It's full attack time.

My feeling is that most SJW types feel that they have the objective truth. That's why I think the whole po-mo thing of there being NO objective truth doesn't really belong. I think the reason why we think that so often is we're looking at it the wrong way...generally we look at it as through a feminist lens of being equality for women, rather than something much broader as being about primarily fighting back against dominant oppressors. That's why there's more siding with Islamacists over women in terms of human rights, as Muslims are seen as being more oppressed by the dominant class(es).

Now, I will say this to entirely undercut everything I just said, because I'm torn on this. There's another element that could be seen as Post-Modernist, just in a different way.

I think most SJWs, have a separation between theory and reality. All these dominance theories exist in a purely theoretical part of the mind, that's their ideology, that's their identity...but it doesn't define who they are. Or more specifically, SJW beliefs are intellectual, not ethical in nature. That's the thing...how many people actually live up to those ideas and concepts in practice when there's a cost to it? Very few. Extremely few. So in that way, their ideas are not really an objective truth either...they're simply a tribal identifier, more or less.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Karmakin wrote:Anybody else think the Tuvel affair, if not the torpedo that sinks the SJW battleship, certainly has the whole thing listing a bit?
Tuvel exposed the inherent logical contradictions of SJW dogma. Of course they're going to go ape-shit on her.

Rachel Dolezal may well have saved civilization from ultimate collapse.

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tuvel exposed the inherent logical contradictions of SJW dogma. Of course they're going to go ape-shit on her.

Rachel Dolezal may well have saved civilization from ultimate collapse.
I read somewhere that Rachel Dolezal is part Kekistani. Can someone confirm?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

DrokkIt wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:
[youtube].[/youtube]

Same. That genocide comment may have triggered me because I've spent the day eating digestive biscuits and crying.
What genocide is ongoing now and which ethnic group is enduring an ongoing genocide, according to them? I've watched the video and I haven't understood what they mean. Who is being killed, when, how? Who is being forced to leave? Whose property is being illegally confiscated? Are we supposed to believe that trans people are routinely being massacred/exiled/deprived of their property in Canada?

And no, discrimination, while vile, isn't "genocide".

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Mothra's Dentist wrote:I haven't seen this posted yet. Perhaps the South will rise again (if this is the nature of people offended by one of its flags)
[youtube][/youtube]
1) Nice potty mouth around her own kids;

2) They (accurately) called her a 'bitch'; within minutes, her fish story turned it into 'fucking bitch';

3) Who's the child here? She thinks she can throw a tantrum in public, attack & insult a stranger, then ... what? They roll over and die? oh, but it's the store employees who 'assaulted' her;

4) She's filming from the get-go, so she didn't just discover the flag on the wall. She thought she could upload her brave fist of protest on FB for virtue-signaling kudos;

5) Check-out dude: "Hillary supporter? Bernie supporter? Which one did you vote for?" Thank you, regressive left, for forcing ordinary folks to choose between donald trump vs. 'racist' flag and trannies-in-the-toilets crusades.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote:Laci Green is a piefaced lolcow of diminishing relevance. This latest video is a thinly veiled attempt to claw back some time in the limelight and recover some e-fame.

Fuck her.
Only from behind, perhaps, as I'm terrified of her mouth.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

You can blame Katimari for turning me on to 'The Cynical Historian' youtuber...

Here in most un-cynical way - the guy reviews one of my favourite movies from days gone by:

[youtube][/youtube]