Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote:I haven't seen any GoT. I hear there is something called a red wedding and a chick who looked good in dragon flames.

That's about it.
It's pretty good high-fantasy fare and even though the TV show differs from the books, it's well worth a watch. Once you get into it, you'll be hooked.

Oh, and yes, Danny is really pretty but she's no red woman!

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2015 ... .jpg?w=450

Yup, when it comes to psycho religious zealot tail, Melisandre (sp?) gets my underpants twitching! I bet she goes off like a belt-fed mortar!

:D

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Nice! I was originally put off by suggestions that you needed a whiteboard in the TV room to track the plot ....

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote:Nice! I was originally put off by suggestions that you needed a whiteboard in the TV room to track the plot ....
Nah, if a knuckle-dragging twat-waffle like me can follow the plot, anyone can. Not only that, it's pretty slow to start (on the "big picture" front) and introduces characters, plot and sub-plots at a steady trickle. As the seasons progress, it gathers pace and becomes a very, very vicious tale where your favourite characters can/will die at the drop of a hat.

I'm actually jealous that you've not watched it. The prospect of binge-watching every episode (cold) would make me do cartwheels.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

MarcusAu wrote: Story-telling like? Sounds like creating a narrative to me. I recall Joseph Campbell's thoughts on Monomyth/The Hero's Journey (which have also been used to structure therapy or self-improvement courses). Campbell created an internally consistent theory - but I'm not so sure that all myths are the essentially the same or that there is always some life lesson to be gained. Though George Lucas and too many other writers sure took it seriously enough when plotting things out. Maybe, I'm too reductionist - but I think that mythology and therapy can get really muddled when treated as intersectionary disciplines.
I tried to read The Hero with a Thousand Faces ages ago, and I couldn't finish it because I knew too much about the Irish myths he cited. Basically he cherry-picked one element from one story, and element from another story, and one element from a third story, over-interpreted them, and pretended they were all in all the stories. Campbell is the descendent of a 19th century folklorist trend that tried to find the common elements in everything and ended up claiming that Lancelot, a character introduced into Arthurian legend by the French, was the same character as the Irish god Lug, pretty much on the basis of the letter L, and tried to tie everything into a sun god myth that they'd made up.

I spend some time at the weekend bending the ear of a fellow attendee at the Enniskillen Comic Festival about the pernicious influence of Campbell and all those books about how to write screenplays. The job of a screenwriter now seems to have been reduced to taking a story that someone else has created and forcibly converting it into the Sacred Three-Act Structure, with all the prescribed catalysing incidents and turning points so on. Stories are all different, and making them all the same makes them boring.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:Nice! I was originally put off by suggestions that you needed a whiteboard in the TV room to track the plot ....
You do if you wish to track the plot but why would you.

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article ... flames.jpg

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

feathers wrote:
You do if you wish to track the plot but why would you.

[img]http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article ... es.jpg[img]
Might as well go full on with the objectification...

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/ga ... test-women

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

paddybrown wrote:
I tried to read The Hero with a Thousand Faces ages ago, and I couldn't finish it because I knew too much about the Irish myths he cited. Basically he cherry-picked one element from one story, and element from another story, and one element from a third story, over-interpreted them, and pretended they were all in all the stories. Campbell is the descendent of a 19th century folklorist trend that tried to find the common elements in everything and ended up claiming that Lancelot, a character introduced into Arthurian legend by the French, was the same character as the Irish god Lug, pretty much on the basis of the letter L, and tried to tie everything into a sun god myth that they'd made up.

I spend some time at the weekend bending the ear of a fellow attendee at the Enniskillen Comic Festival about the pernicious influence of Campbell and all those books about how to write screenplays. The job of a screenwriter now seems to have been reduced to taking a story that someone else has created and forcibly converting it into the Sacred Three-Act Structure, with all the prescribed catalysing incidents and turning points so on. Stories are all different, and making them all the same makes them boring.
If you are looking for pedantic classics that are just about impossible to finish try Fraser's 'The Golden Bough'

As much as I'm enjoying the TV adaption of American Gods (and I am enjoying it - at least for the characters and the road trip) - I recall Neil Gaiman mentioning in an interview somewhere about consciously using the 'hero descends through the underworld' trope. Arggh!

Maybe, I'll just retreat to something by Elmore Leonard or Joe R Lansdale instead.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Bhurzum wrote:Might as well go full on with the objectification...

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/ga ... test-women
They forgot Arya.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/71 ... 4dChcE.jpg

Now there's my girl.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think she's a Grey.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

My take on Game of Thrones for what its worth.
At first I wasn't that interested in watching it, I just assumed it would be a pile of crap, then people I worked with kept telling me how good it was and that I should definitely give it a go so I binged watched the first 2 series and was hooked. Its complete fantasy, dragons, black magic, incest, murder, rape, torture, intrigue, betrayal, war, gruesome deaths the lot.

Plenty if tits on show too. :D

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Apart from the incest, murder, rape, torture, intrigue, betrayal, war and gruesome deaths - what have the Lannisters ever done for us?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Shatterface wrote:Apart from the incest, murder, rape, torture, intrigue, betrayal, war and gruesome deaths - what have the Lannisters ever done for us?
The aquaduct?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The Wall?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Sounds like tales drawn from history...

It's Burt (Lancaster) vs Micheal (York) all over again.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

MarcusAu wrote:Sounds like tales drawn from history...

It's Burt (Lancaster) vs Micheal (York) all over again.
I did read somewhere that it is loosely based on the war of the roses.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:Apart from the incest, murder, rape, torture, intrigue, betrayal, war and gruesome deaths - what have the Lannisters ever done for us?
Forced marriage?

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Talking of a 'fantasy world' :oops:

There was a time when British police were more interested in catching bad'uns

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I bet some in force quite enjoyed walking around all day with a tit on their head.

Guest_808fb108

Post by Guest_808fb108 »

The British police are now more interested in arresting Tommy Robinson at 4:30 am for filming himself standing outside a court.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

shoutinghorse wrote:Talking of a 'fantasy world' :oops:

Lol. I thought NatTransPolice stood for the National Transport Police!

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Guest_808fb108 wrote:The British police are now more interested in arresting Tommy Robinson at 4:30 am for filming himself standing outside a court.

I'm not always on Tommy's side of the political agenda, I sometimes think he deliberately provokes to get an angry reaction but this treatment of him is not only disgraceful but actually sets a quite frightening precedence. We are slowly but surely losing our freedom of expression and freedom of speech. This harassment isn't just from the police but comes much higher, I firmly believe Tommy Robinson is being deliberately targetted by people within the Home Office.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/edl-founder-t ... 08528.html

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The new police headwear is gender free. Too bad it's protection free. A baseball cap isn't going to stop a brick. It's not going to protect you from bad words either. The kind of snowflake who wouldn't join the police because they didn't fancy the hats isn't going to be much use when the harsh words start flying, let alone petrol bombs.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

It gets worse :?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Can anyone give me a local 101 on who the EDL (English Defense League) are? I understand they are considered far-right.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

deLurch wrote:Can anyone give me a local 101 on who the EDL (English Defense League) are? I understand they are considered far-right.
The EDL were originally set up in 2009 by Tommy Robinson and Kevin Carroll to protest against what they saw as the increasing islamisation in their home town of Luton. When TR was imprisoned for mortgage fraud they were heavily infiltrated by far right neo nazis, something both Robinson & Carroll opposed and subsequently left the organisation in 2013.

They are now seen by many as a fringe far right extremist group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Defence_League

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:I think she's a Grey.
But she's the one you want with you in the parking lot when some angry drunks follow you out of the bar.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Funnily enough, we were talking about him here only a few days ago. :(

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/geoffrey-bayld ... 93-1621161

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I should have said nothing...

There was nothing quite like it.

[youtube][/youtube]

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

Game of Thrones hotties? You all can't handle a real woman.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/gam ... ropped.jpg

The allure of the unseen. The erotic appeal of the covered. If only more women would sensually tease men like this.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

MarcusAu wrote:I should have said nothing...

There was nothing quite like it.

[youtube][/youtube]
Well, that takes the term "pit kill" to a whole new level.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bugger. I still call it the telling-bone.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

And it was a truly great kids' programme.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote:Bugger. I still call it the telling-bone.
My mother still says "Electrickery" ;)

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Without gender markers they won't know who to put modesty scarves on to spare Muslim feels.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Without gender markers they won't know who to put modesty scarves on to spare Muslim feels.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

[youtube][/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

HelpingHand wrote:Game of Thrones hotties? You all can't handle a real woman.

The allure of the unseen. The erotic appeal of the covered. If only more women would sensually tease men like this.
hannah_waddingham.jpg
(105.47 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:
rayshul wrote:I guess I should have seen it coming because he was short
I knew a guy that was a murderer that got murdered.
He was short too.
Go on....
I'm not sure of the exact details as I kept my distance from him and his friends in the later decades when that was going on.
As I recall he worked in a pharmaceutical distribution firm with a group of fellow motorcycle enthusiasts...

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

deLurch wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

Whatever you make of Jordy-boy's ideas, he's certainly hanging out with some good looking women. 100! or whatever that thing is.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Easy J wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

This is surprising. SSA accidentally deleted the comments that a couple of us left on their Facebook page. They did not, however, delete the feminist bullshit discussion in the same thread that glorified the victimhood of Saint Becky.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
HelpingHand wrote:Game of Thrones hotties? You all can't handle a real woman.

hannah_waddingham.jpg
:o

I looked her up on wikipedia and misread her occupation as "actress, swinger".

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

deLurch wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
This is a very good video, thanks for sharing!

I find Peterson's research into left-wing authoritarianism as based on extreme compassion and homogeneity rough forced inclusion and "leveling", as opposed to right-wing authoritarianism as based on strategy-based outcomes for one's group and homogeneity through purity to be a really fascinating concept, that seems to make a lot of sense considering historical data.

I also agree with Peterson that we need both liberal and conservative values (the example about liberal "dreamers" who toy with ideas and start new things and conservative "hard workers" who get down to business and run a tight ship is excellent) and that free speech isn't so much a value of one side as it is a way to keep communications between liberals and conservatives open and relatively cordial.

The higher degree of openness to experience among liberals would also explain while there are more liberal among actors, artists, philosophers and scientists (whose job is to experiment, to toy with concepts) while the higher degree of conscientiousness among conservatives would also explain why there are more conservative engineers (people who have to run things, make them work). This would explain the cultural polarization of academia without any need for conspiracies.

The rise of the PC authoritarians (who have lower verbal abilities and are high on order, possibly due to higher neuroticism?) in academia could be explained by programs which include people with lower GPAs and SAT scores to fill quotas, while the rise of PC egalitarians (who have better verbal skills but also high agreeableness and compassion) could be attributed to "diversity training" where people with high degrees of empathy are encouraged to commiserate those on the bottom rungs of society according to the Patriarchy model.

Basically projects which were introduced as way to be more inclusive and open to different perspectives (the aim of diversity quotas and training) hugely backfired due to the nature of the people that those projects put in position of social power within academia, all with minimal deliberate planning.

All in all a brilliant video. I think Peterson is at his best when he talks about the psychology of politics, he and Haidt are doing an excellent job in those matters.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Brive1987 wrote:I haven't seen any GoT. I hear there is something called a red wedding and a chick who looked good in dragon flames.

That's about it.
It's not the red wedding ( common mistake) it's the bed wetting. The new King (Robert Baratheon) hires some hookers to pee on the bed of the deposed "mad king". It was in the special water sports episode.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Brive1987 wrote:The face of despair.

http://i.imgur.com/xTnOwRU.jpg

Update .. She's dragged him east to meet the folks. This is mission creep people. House hunting last week remember? I'm calling it, an announcement is imminent.
:shock:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Spike13 wrote:

That's about it.
It's not the red wedding ( common mistake) it's the bed wetting. The new King (Robert Baratheon) hires some hookers to pee on the bed of the deposed "mad king". It was in the special water sports episode.
He only because king because of the propaganda of Essosi hookers anyway, they revealed the secret raven messages about the mad king's plot to burn King's Landing. Sources say that Ilyrio Mopatis and the Iron Bank of Braavos were directly involved.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Guest_808fb108 wrote:The British police are now more interested in arresting Tommy Robinson at 4:30 am for filming himself standing outside a court.

I'm not always on Tommy's side of the political agenda, I sometimes think he deliberately provokes to get an angry reaction but this treatment of him is not only disgraceful but actually sets a quite frightening precedence. We are slowly but surely losing our freedom of expression and freedom of speech. This harassment isn't just from the police but comes much higher, I firmly believe Tommy Robinson is being deliberately targetted by people within the Home Office.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/edl-founder-t ... 08528.html
He's got good reason to be angry. I watched this video yesterday, and he talks about his history with being targeted.

Tommy Robinson's BANNED speech: "The British Police State"
[youtube][/youtube]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

deLurch wrote:Can anyone give me a local 101 on who the EDL (English Defense League) are? I understand they are considered far-right.
They are an anti-immigration party, and Tommy Robinson had a role in it for a while. In the video I just posted above, he says that he was able to keep the Hitler-loving types out of it, but then while he was in jail, the party started letting some of them in.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

shoutinghorse wrote:
The EDL were originally set up in 2009 by Tommy Robinson and Kevin Carroll to protest against what they saw as the increasing islamisation in their home town of Luton. When TR was imprisoned for mortgage fraud they were heavily infiltrated by far right neo nazis, something both Robinson & Carroll opposed and subsequently left the organisation in 2013.

They are now seen by many as a fringe far right extremist group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Defence_League
:nin:

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

shoutinghorse wrote:It gets worse :?
Awww! It's adorable! It's like the car version of a little kid playing dress up! Who's a big strong police car? You are! Who's going to catch all the bad guys? You!

This is what a real police car looks like.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/12cd27 ... ga1jnu.jpg

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

paddybrown wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: Story-telling like? Sounds like creating a narrative to me. I recall Joseph Campbell's thoughts on Monomyth/The Hero's Journey (which have also been used to structure therapy or self-improvement courses). Campbell created an internally consistent theory - but I'm not so sure that all myths are the essentially the same or that there is always some life lesson to be gained. Though George Lucas and too many other writers sure took it seriously enough when plotting things out. Maybe, I'm too reductionist - but I think that mythology and therapy can get really muddled when treated as intersectionary disciplines.

If it helps, Campbell is a polite joke among Classicists. He's very much a pop scholar not taken seriously by academics.

I'm reminded of having watched some dumb twat bitch about the Disney Star Wars buyout with the argument that now the movies will become all formulaic. As if the monomyth is anything other than the worst, most self-fellating storytelling formula anyone's ever devised.

Really?

Post by Really? »

shoutinghorse wrote:It gets worse :?
http://www.steveiowa.com/wp-content/upl ... shinny.jpg

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Southern Poverty Law Center goes full-Aneris on Kekistani pipe-layers...

[youtube][/youtube]

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Service Dog wrote:Southern Poverty Law Center goes full-Aneris on Kekistani pipe-layers...

[youtube][/youtube]
By not understanding humor and mockery the SPLC have made a joke of themselves.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Next on the SPLC's list is "Blazing Saddles" for its rampant use of nazi imagery, racism, violence against women, muh-soggy-knees, and animal cruelty.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Spike13 wrote:
Service Dog wrote:Southern Poverty Law Center goes full-Aneris on Kekistani pipe-layers...

[.youtube][/youtube]
By not understanding humor and mockery the SPLC have made a joke of themselves.
The SPLC lost all of its credibility when they classified Maajid Nawaz as an "anti-muslim extremist".

That's about as retarded as saying that Bernie Sanders is a white supremacist.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Spike13 wrote:Here's another view,

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1YoUaZm0B_g/hqdefault.jpg
There's always the subtle approach, in which you disable the bad guys by making them laugh helplessly:

http://police-car-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/4884.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Spike13 wrote:Next on the SPLC's list is "Blazing Saddles" for its rampant use of nazi imagery, racism, violence against women, muh-soggy-knees, and animal cruelty.
The Producers has already been called antisemitic.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

[youtube][/youtube]