Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
MarcusAu

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by MarcusAu »

The medical profession was getting things sorted by Darwins's time. However, prior to that - drinking a concoction that consisted of water and little (if anything) else - was probably one of the more healthy things that doctors could prescribe for their patients.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

MarcusAu wrote:The medical profession was getting things sorted by Darwins's time. However, prior to that - drinking a concoction that consisted of water and little (if anything) else - was probably one of the more healthy things that doctors could prescribe for their patients.
I'm pretty sure I'd die on short notice if I only drank water.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Shatterface wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
He's on another thread defending homeopathy.
No need to read those comments - a little goes a long way.
He cites Darwin's use of homeopathy (I don't know if that's even true or not) as support for magic water but for some reason he doesn't think Darwin is an authority when it comes to evolution.
A second opinion on Darwin and homeopathy:
http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2007/08 ... pathy.html

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:The medical profession was getting things sorted by Darwins's time. However, prior to that - drinking a concoction that consisted of water and little (if anything) else - was probably one of the more healthy things that doctors could prescribe for their patients.
I'm pretty sure I'd die on short notice if I only drank water.
Not that you are wrong - but it could still double your life expectancy.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Have you guys and gals (and others, LOL) seen this? Claims are that Netflix has gone back and "edited out" that segment from Bill Nye's 1996 show that contradicts his current show.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 16881.html

Now, the Commander is surprisingly a bit ignorant on all this stuff, so is this move damaging to Nye's credibility? Was that original sketch scientifically "wrong", or is the new one "wrong", or is it a bit of both. Anyhow, it shows the influence the online trans lobby have.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Joy. Home to a pissed off wife. Submit to the rage or raise the draw Bridge? Lose lose.
Is there a germ of legitimate grievance? Or are you a proxy for other frustrations?
Both of course. But if you can't come home late on a Friday, with a bladder full of piss, having side stepped the lunchtime whinefest phone call and inevitable,followup - when can you?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Indy slowly and mournfully learns not to cry for freedom.

Ugly situation.

http://i.imgur.com/TFbE28I.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Went to an architecture lecture today by Winy Maas.

Seriously. Check out this bent down skyscraper wrapped around its own city life with people living both on the inside and outer wall.

Looks like a scented nectar wet dream.

http://i.imgur.com/U0Gg2Jr.jpg

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Brive1987 wrote:Indy slowly and mournfully learns not to cry for freedom.

Ugly situation.

Amazing that Watson takes such pride in being a neglectful slob. Even more amazing 150 people saw fit to think it was worth a favourite.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote:Joy. Home to a pissed off wife. Submit to the rage or raise the draw Bridge? Lose lose.
Sorry to hear it but, of course, can sympathize. As can many other men - and probably no few women - starting with Robin Williams :-)

But you might also console yourself with a fine rant, and portions thereof, from Philip Wylie's Generation of Vipers (1943):
CHAPTER XI
Common Women

MOM IS THE END PRODUCT OF SHE.

She is Cinderella, the creature I discussed earlier, the shining-haired, the starry-eyed, the ruby-lipped virgo aeternis, of which there is presumably one, and only one, or a one-and-only for each male, whose dream is fixed upon her deflowerment and subsequent perpetual possession. This act is a sacrament in all churches and a civil affair in our society. The collective aspects of marriage are thus largely compressed into the rituals and social perquisites of one day. Unless some element of mayhem or intention of divorce subsequently obtrudes, a sort of privacy engulfs the union and all further developments are deemed to be the business of each separate pair, including the transition of Cinderella into mom, which, if it occasions any shock, only adds to the huge, invisible burthen every man carries with him into eternity. It is the weight of this bundle which, incidentally, squeezes out of him the wish for death, his last positive biological resource. ....

The radio has made sentimentality the twentieth century Plymouth Rock. As a discipline, I have forced myself to sit a whole morning listening to the soap operas, along with twenty million moms who were busy sweeping dust under carpets while planning to drown their progeny in honey or bash in their heads. This filthy and indecent abomination, this trash with which, until lately, only moron servant girls could dull their credulous minds in the tawdry privacy of their cubicles, is now the national saga. .... Babies die every hour on the hour to jerk so many hundred gallons of tears. Cinderella kidnaps the Prince and then mortgages the palace to hire herself a gigolo. The most oafish cluck the radio executives can find, with a voice like a damp pillow—a mother-lover of the most degraded sort—is given to America as the ideal young husband. His wife, with a tin voice and a heart of corrosive sublimate, alternately stands at his side to abet some spiritual swindle or leaves him with a rival for as much time as is needed to titillate mom without scaring her. The radio is mom’s final tool, for it stamps everybody who listens with the matriarchal brand—its superstitions, prejudices, devotional rules, taboos, musts, and all other qualifications needful to its maintenance. Just as Goebbels has revealed what can be done with such a mass-stamping of the public psyche in his nation, so our land is a living representation of the same fact worked out in matriarchal sentimentality, goo, slop, hidden cruelty, and the foreshadow of national death. ....

I give you mom. I give you the destroying mother. I give you her justice—from which we have never removed the eye bandage. I give you the angel—and point to the sword in her hand. I give you death—the hundred million deaths that are muttered under Yggdrasill’s ash. I give you Medusa and Stheno and Euryale. I give you the harpies and the witches, and the Fates. I give you the woman in pants, and the new religion: she-popery. I give you Pandora. I give you Proserpine, the Queen of Hell. The five-and-ten-cent-store Lilith, the mother of Cain, the black widow who is poisonous and eats her mate, and I designate at the bottom of your program the grand finale of all the soap operas: the mother of America’s Cinderella.

We must face the dynasty of the dames at once, deprive them of our pocketbooks when they waste the substance in them, and take back our dreams which, without the perfidious materialism of mom, were shaping up a new and braver world. We must drive the roads to Rio and to Moscow and stop spending all our strength in the manufacture of girdles: it is time that mom’s sag became known to the desperate public; we must plunge into our psyches and find out there, each for each, scientifically, about immortality and miracles. To do such deeds, we will first have to make the conquest of momism, which grew up from male default.

Our society is too much an institution built to appease the rapacity of loving mothers. If that condition is an ineluctable experiment of nature, then we are the victims of a failure. But I do not think it is. Even while the regiments spell out “mom” on the parade grounds, I think mom’s grip can be broken by private integrity. Even though, indeed, it is the moms who have made this war.

For, when the young men come back from the war, what then will they feel concerning mom and her works?

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Scented Nectar wrote: That is nice, but not enough different colours (oh no, that sounds like I'm preaching diversity and implying you're a racist, lol) or surrealness. The screenshots in an image search are mostly blues, greens, and greys. I know it sounds overly fussy, but I am overly fussy on this. :)
Don't know if you ever played Oblivion, but it's Shivering isles expansion is probably my favorite setting in any game as far as visuals go.

http://rpgfan.com/pics/elderscrolls4-xbox360/ss-036.jpg

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Ugly situation.

[youtube][/youtube]

Guest_92963fc5

Post by Guest_92963fc5 »

Have you guys and gals (and others, LOL) seen this? Claims are that Netflix has gone back and "edited out" that segment from Bill Nye's 1996 show that contradicts his current show.

independent.co uk/arts-enter ... 16881.html

Now, the Commander is surprisingly a bit ignorant on all this stuff, so is this move damaging to Nye's credibility? Was that original sketch scientifically "wrong", or is the new one "wrong", or is it a bit of both. Anyhow, it shows the influence the online trans lobby have.
Nowadays Arnold would be expected to expel this transphobic little shit.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Ugly situation.

To be fair, that could have been a rare moment of self-awareness.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Have you guys and gals (and others, LOL) seen this? Claims are that Netflix has gone back and "edited out" that segment from Bill Nye's 1996 show that contradicts his current show.

When I envisioned the end of the world I thought it would be an asteroid or nuclear war or something. When alien archaeologists try to piece together what brought about the apocalypse they'll never figure it out. Earth will be the Roanoke of the Milky Way.

Guest_92963fc5

Post by Guest_92963fc5 »

The wiki article on gender wikipedia org/wiki/Gender is overly complex and cowardly, it doesn't even begin to provide a list of genders, just states:
Gender is the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity. Depending on the context, these characteristics may include biological sex (i.e. the state of being male, female or an intersex variation which may complicate sex assignment), sex-based social structures (including gender roles and other social roles), or gender identity.[1][2][3] Some cultures have specific gender roles that can be considered distinct from male and female, such as the hijra (chhaka) of India and Pakistan.

Sexologist John Money introduced the terminological distinction between biological sex and gender as a role in 1955. Before his work, it was uncommon to use the word gender to refer to anything but grammatical categories.[1][2] However, Money's meaning of the word did not become widespread until the 1970s, when feminist theory embraced the concept of a distinction between biological sex and the social construct of gender. Today the distinction is strictly followed in some contexts, especially the social sciences[4][5] and documents written by the World Health Organization (WHO).[3]

In other contexts, including some areas of social sciences, gender includes sex or replaces it.[1][2] For instance, in non-human animal research, gender is commonly used to refer to the biological sex of the animals.[2] This change in the meaning of gender can be traced to the 1980s. In 1993, the USA's Food and Drug Administration (FDA) started to use gender instead of sex.[6] Later, in 2011, the FDA reversed its position and began using sex as the biological classification and gender as "a person's self representation as male or female, or how that person is responded to by social institutions based on the individual's gender presentation."[7]

The social sciences have a branch devoted to gender studies. Other sciences, such as sexology and neuroscience, are also interested in the subject. While the social sciences sometimes approach gender as a social construct, and gender studies particularly do, research in the natural sciences investigates whether biological differences in males and females influence the development of gender in humans; both inform debate about how far biological differences influence the formation of gender identity. In the English literature, there is also a trichotomy between biological sex, psychological gender, and social gender role. This framework first appeared in a feminist paper on transsexualism in 1978.[2][8]
interesting claims:

+ in social sciences, gender replaces sex ["replace" as opposed to "supplements" "another factor" "another dimension"]
+ John Money, the cunt who maimed David Reimer
+ 2011, the FDA reversed its position and began using sex as the biological classification and gender as "a person's self representation as male or female, or how that person is responded to by social institutions based on the individual's gender presentation."[7]

Steersman

Re: Nothing to Worry About.

Post by Steersman »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Service Dog wrote:Monday May First:

"The UK may follow Germany’s lead in dealing with hate speech online. ....

https://qz.com/972583/the-uk-wants-new- ... te-speech/ ....
Rather "problematic". But one might suggest turning the tables, fighting fire with fire, by arguing, for example and with much justification, that the Quran is manifest hate speech. And that the publication and preaching of its content be henceforth banned. "So let it be written, so let it be done." ... ;-)
I get where your coming from but wouldn't they just claim 'freedom of religious belief' knowing that the UK government are loath to start a conflict with the religion of peace. in case they revert to type and stop being peaceful.
Quite possibly - probably why so many "religions" - Catholicism & Islam in particular - make common cause in promoting anti-blasphemy laws. But I kind of hope that they'll wind up getting hoist by their own petards when more of the public sees what rank and odious hate speech passes for the "religion" of Islam. ICYMI, the Twitter hashtag #M103 - illuminating if not edifying to take a gander at it - led to a number of stories in the Canadian press illustrating that fact:
Montreal mosque facing calls for investigation after imam preaches on anti-Semitic conspiracy theories

Toronto imam says Muslims will eventually kill all Jews

Montreal Imam Says ‘Destroy The Accursed Jews’ In Viral Video

free thoughtpolice

Sex, gender. Kids these days.
[youtube][/youtube]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Brive1987 wrote:Went to an architecture lecture today by Winy Maas.

Seriously. Check out this bent down skyscraper wrapped around its own city life with people living both on the inside and outer wall.

Looks like a scented nectar wet dream.

http://i.imgur.com/U0Gg2Jr.jpg
I do like that building. It's weird, but also doesn't look like it's going to fall down like most weirdly shaped skyscrapers. :)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Old_ones wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: That is nice, but not enough different colours (oh no, that sounds like I'm preaching diversity and implying you're a racist, lol) or surrealness. The screenshots in an image search are mostly blues, greens, and greys. I know it sounds overly fussy, but I am overly fussy on this. :)
Don't know if you ever played Oblivion, but it's Shivering isles expansion is probably my favorite setting in any game as far as visuals go.

Not bad. Those mushrooms are weird and remind me of the ones on toxic planets in NMS. :)

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

I posted this earlier:

http://imgur.com/P2Mur8E.png

Danielle has since deleted it.

He uploaded this today. Can you spot the difference?:

http://imgur.com/ygxlKA6.png

Yes, everything is better with Ebonics. He's at it again :lol:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote:Relative to the postmodernist, SJW-ish view on the definition for sex and gender - which you seem share some sympathy for, protestations to the contrary notwithstanding - you might recollect a classification of Hume's:
If we take in our hand any volume; of divinity or school metaphysics, for instance; let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning concerning matter of fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames: for it can contain nothing but sophistry and illusion.[8] — An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding.
"Sophistry and illusion" seems a pretty accurate characterization of the postmodernist/SJW-ish view on sex and gender. And much else for that matter.
Please point out when I've ever supported the po-mo view on sex and gender. I've simply argued against your strict prescriptivism about language.

The common definition of sex is pretty clear, based on two different clusters of physical and physiological attributes. It's not 100% precise, but then again, no definition is (dogs are usually described as having four leg, a three-legged dog doesn't invalidate that common sense definition).
Seems to me that you're essentially "supporting [laying the pipes for] the po-mo view" by insisting on "the common definition of sex" by waffling on about "clusters". Which is little more than the po-mo BS and red-herrings that is typical of those defending the po-mo view of sex as, for example, in this analogous comment over at Patheos:
We assume the 1's and 0's of computers (can't get more binary, right?) are absolute, but they really are not. Each represents a somewhat messy voltage range separated with a third range. A "1" might be 3.5-5 volts, while a logical "0" might be 0-1.5 volts. A value from 1.5 - 3.5 is both &/or neither so it is ignored in the logical construct of the binary, but it does indeed exist. The binary only works if the system is created to ignore outlier data points.
Sure, a logic 1 implemented electrically "might be 3.5-5 volts", but that is a separate category from the Boolean logic it is attempting to represent or map to. Doesn't change the fact in the slightest that within Boolean algebra a logic 1 is defined as uniquely and categorically and exhaustively different from a logic 0. Conflating those two categories - and insisting therefore that the categories don't exist because, hey, doncha know voltages exist in a continuous spectrum - is rank intellectual dishonesty - at best.

But all of that is, apparently, to evade having to admit that within any given cluster there are some factors that are more determinative than others. And that each of those factors have a very precise and common definition. You admitted in an earlier discussion that "Gender may not be binary. Sex really seems to be." but which you apparently now wish to repudiate. And those two binary poles of sex are defined as male and female, the essential difference being the type of gamete produced; Wikipedia:
Organisms of many species are specialized into male and female varieties, each known as a sex, with some falling in between being intersex. ....

Among humans and other mammals, males typically carry XY chromosomes, whereas females typically carry XX chromosomes, which are a part of the XY sex-determination system. ....

The gametes produced by an organism are determined by its sex: males produce male gametes (spermatozoa, or sperm, in animals; pollen in plants) while females produce female gametes (ova, or egg cells) ...
Don't see how it can get much more clear than that - except maybe to those whose perspectives have been clouded by po-mo obfuscation.

In any case, the whole point of my earlier link to the statistical technique of principal component analysis - admittedly a complex topic that I'm still trying, gamely, to get a handle on - was to illustrate the fact that many clusters of attributes can be analyzed to determine which factors in the cluster have the greatest degree of correlation to all the others - and to rank all of the other ones. And, again, each of those factors have a precise definition, that isn't changed simply because they're part of a cluster; looks rather po-mo-ish at best to insist otherwise.
Kirbmarc wrote:You, on the other hand, have repeatedly argued that post-menopausal women are no longer women because they no longer produce ova.
Well, then, what is your precise definition for "woman"? What set of characteristics uniquely defines that class? Which are the essential elements of all members of the class - the sine qua non of membership - as opposed to the superficial and secondary surfaces? Before answering, you may wish to read and/or reflect on Hofstadter's Surfaces and Essences: Analogy as the Fuel and Fire of Thinking

free thoughtpolice

Scented Nectar wrote:
Old_ones wrote:

Not bad. Those mushrooms are weird and remind me of the ones on toxic planets in NMS. :)
You didn't eat them did right? :drool:

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Steersman wrote:You admitted in an earlier discussion that "Gender may not be binary. Sex really seems to be."
I think talk about gender is really unclear unless you pin it down to characteristic (or statistically typical) behaviour.

The sexes have typical behaviour bundles, which are named after the sex that typically has them - that's the function of the concept of gender, to distinguish biology from behaviour.

So obviously someone can behave to some degree different to their sex. It's really quite simple, I don't see why people make such a fuss about it.

IOW, sex is biology, gender is behaviour. Simples. And of course you can have any mix of the two gender behaviours, on a spectrum, and you could theoretically cut that spectrum up digitally and give each minutely different blend of the two characteristic sex behaviours a special rainbow name. It seems pointless and a bit silly, but it's something to do and some young people like doing it, apparently :)

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

I've found this chart of 64 genders helpful. I have a big end, so that makes me a bigender.

http://i.imgur.com/BEzBCbH.jpg

Pseudomonas

Post by Pseudomonas »

fuzzy wrote:I've found this chart of 64 genders helpful. I have a big end, so that makes me a bigender.

Surely the one at the bottom left should be 'TIE Fighter'?

Pseudomonas

Keating

Post by Keating »

Don't be ridiculous inventing genders that don't exist.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Ape+lust wrote:I posted this earlier:

http://imgur.com/P2Mur8E.png

Danielle has since deleted it.

He uploaded this today. Can you spot the difference?:

http://imgur.com/ygxlKA6.png

Yes, everything is better with Ebonics. He's at it again :lol:
It's only a matter of time before Muskrat goes full Dolezal.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Pseudomonas wrote:
fuzzy wrote:I've found this chart of 64 genders helpful. I have a big end, so that makes me a bigender.

Pseudomonas
I spot eleven white supremacist symbols.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

The fist panel discussion ever formed with the specific intent to make PZ's head explode from a surge of blood pressure.

[youtube][/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hunt wrote:The fist panel discussion ever formed with the specific intent to make PZ's head explode from a surge of blood pressure.
Yeah, no, the mention of PZ and fisting in one sentence just put me off my dinner.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Pseudomonas wrote:

Pseudomonas
I spot eleven white supremacist symbols.
Apophis did nothing wrong.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/BEzBCbH.jpg[/img]
:lol: I think I should probably "identify" as a bipolar junction transistor ...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

gurugeorge wrote:
Steersman wrote:You admitted in an earlier discussion that "Gender may not be binary. Sex really seems to be."
I think talk about gender is really unclear unless you pin it down to characteristic (or statistically typical) behaviour.

The sexes have typical behaviour bundles, which are named after the sex that typically has them - that's the function of the concept of gender, to distinguish biology from behaviour.

So obviously someone can behave to some degree different to their sex. It's really quite simple, I don't see why people make such a fuss about it.

IOW, sex is biology, gender is behaviour. Simples. And of course you can have any mix of the two gender behaviours, on a spectrum, and you could theoretically cut that spectrum up digitally and give each minutely different blend of the two characteristic sex behaviours a special rainbow name. It seems pointless and a bit silly, but it's something to do and some young people like doing it, apparently :)
Certainly seems to be some justification to partition humans into biology and behaviour - the old nature-nurture divide. Although, fortunately or not, it seems that much of behaviour is crucially determined by biology. However, I'm not sure that that isn't a bit of a false dichotomy - we are not, at least ideally, simply automatons driven either by our biology or the cultural milieu in which we are embedded; as the American moralist and journalist Philip Wylie put it, "We aspire to the discipline of the instinct by the heart and mind."

But agree about the "fuss" that many people make of that, although that seems driven partly by questions of ideology - a reluctance to consider biology is a significant factor even if it isn't necessarily determinative or a straitjacket. And I think part of the problem is that many people, even those who should know better, don't really realize how definitions work; for instance "male" and "female" are simply labels, socially constructed ones at that, that provide handles on, and describe, the basic fact - of a biological nature as you suggested - that (human) gametes come in only two - count em, two - types.

And generally agree about the "pointless and silly" tendency to split gender up into a myriad of segments - if there are 56 genders, as Facebook suggests, then why not 56 trillion? However, I think it is rather problematic, a case of anti-intellectualism and anti-science; it is predicated on a rather clueless and dangerous ignorance about how science works. Case in point, Zinnia Jones' rather clueless insistence that transwomen are female:
Trans women are female

Many people don’t like it when trans women call ourselves female because it undermines the forms of transphobia that rely on thinking of us as men. It takes away that asterisk and removes one of the ways of marking us as less legitimate in our womanhood. It dissolves the arguments that link us to cis men based on this one tenuous, dishonest connection.
Rather dangerous delusion that should be spiked whenever it sticks its twisted head over the parapets.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I wonder if Danielle identifies as black. Like, secretly.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Have you guys and gals (and others, LOL) seen this? Claims are that Netflix has gone back and "edited out" that segment from Bill Nye's 1996 show that contradicts his current show.

Seen it and given up on lefty/liberals being honest at this point n time.

Jack Wooster

Post by Jack Wooster »

Hunt wrote:The fist panel discussion ever formed with the specific intent to make PZ's head explode from a surge of blood pressure.

[youtube][/youtube]
"Elon Musk and other Great Minds", won't help Thunderf00t's blood pressure either.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

[youtube][/youtube]

A bit weak sauce, though. They could have been much funnier. Then again it's The Simpsons, they lost a lot of their edge.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Kirbmarc wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

A bit weak sauce, though. They could have been much funnier. Then again it's The Simpsons, they lost a lot of their edge.

Would go good on some ganders I know. From what I know of this place gander means goose that is overcooked and served ad-nauseum till people can't stand the sight of it let alone the taste of it let alone the mere mention of it. A meal made by an autist who knows how to serve one thing. Sorry to steer your post off course. But what's good for the cow is sauce for the steer.

A steer is a male cow that has been neutered btw. So a man who has been steered would be called what exactly?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

DaveDodo007 wrote:

Oh yeah I'm sure this was really the straw that broke the camel's back for you and not just another reason to say the only thing you ever say.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

MacGruberKnows wrote:A steer is a male cow that has been neutered btw. So a man who has been steered would be called what exactly?
:lol:

http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/ima ... 4M.gif?id=

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Sunder wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:

Oh yeah I'm sure this was really the straw that broke the camel's back for you and not just another reason to say the only thing you ever say.
Dave is all brokeback for a camel? Well that's one sauced up gander. I am man steered.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

rayshul wrote:I wonder if Danielle identifies as black. Like, secretly.
I dunno. Looks like it. I know he identifies as vegetarian. Openly.

http://imgur.com/fxG1ZGc.jpg

This is a BBQ restaurant. There are no vegetarian entrees, outside of tempeh sandwiches:

https://www.capitalistpigbbq.com/menu/

There's no chicken either, so that's kind of a mystery. Maybe he was lucky to walk in on a day they featured deep-fried chicken-shaped vegetable stuff.

Or maybe he's a kindred spirit in Peez's vegetarian carnivorism. The two should split a rack of grass-fed ribs sometime :D

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brave, brave Rebecca wrote a hit piece on Tron Guy.

There's something about Trons that sets her off.

http://imgur.com/8WPq2rx.jpg

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Dude just don't like being in his own skin in like literally every fucking way

I don't know some people are like y'know I'm gonna try my best with the shit hand I got and love myself

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Interesting facts I've learned from the Wikipedia page on illegal immigration:
India is constructing barriers on its eastern borders to combat the surge of migrants. The Indo-Bangladeshi barrier is 4,000 km (2,500 mi) long. Presently, India is constructing a fence along the border to restrict illegal traffic from Bangladesh.[91] This obstruction will virtually isolate Bangladesh from India. The barrier's plan is based on the designs of the Israeli West Bank barrier and will be 3.6 m (11.8 ft) high. The stated aim of the fence is to stop infiltration of terrorists, prevent smuggling, and end illegal immigration from Bangladesh.[92][93]
This is interesting because Bengali people from Bangladesh have the exact same culture and language of Bengali people in the regions of India which they settle in, so the move is unlikely to be motivated by racialist or identitarian concerns.

Also:
[In Mexico] In the first six months of 2005, more than 120,000 people from Central America were deported, as compared to 2002, when for the entire year, only 130,000 were deported.[110]
In September 2007, Mexican President Calderón harshly criticized the United States government for the crackdown on illegal immigrants, saying it has led to the persecution of immigrant workers without visas. "I have said that Mexico does not stop at its border, that wherever there is a Mexican, there is Mexico", he said.[115] However, Mexico has also deported US citizens, deporting 2,000 cases in 2015 and 1,243 in 2014.[116]

Illegal immigration of Cubans through Cancún tripled from 2004 to 2006.[117] In October 2008, Mexico tightened its immigration rules and agreed to deport Cubans who use the country as an entry point to the US. It also criticized US policy that generally allows Cubans who reach US territory to stay. Cuban Foreign Minister said the Cuban-Mexican agreement would lead to "the immense majority of Cubans being repatriated."[118]
There seems to be a general tendency in recent years in many countries to limit immigration and even to build walls/border fences (India, Saudi Arabia, etc.). Make of that what you want. I'm starting to see that the issue seems to be more complicated than the rhetoric on each side of the aisle.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

rayshul wrote:Dude just don't like being in his own skin in like literally every fucking way

I don't know some people are like y'know I'm gonna try my best with the shit hand I got and love myself
Yeah, I think you're right.

I didn't use to mind him. In fact, I thought he was one of the better ones of the "activist" crowd because he wasn't big on drama.

Now he's just a standard-issue moralizing hardcase.

And a mooch. Gawd, that boy's twitter timeline is endless entreaties for money, and I don't mean just "donate to my Patreon" stuff. "This has come up", "I need money for a situation I'm in", "I've got an emergency"... A few days ago, his van got a flat on the road and then it was CRISIS time on Twitter. He posted pics of some guy under his van, then explained the first $75 went to roadside flat tire service. He's a grown-ass man who paid another man to change his tire for him.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

More on illegal immigration, specifically to the US:
What is the legal status of immigrants in the U.S.?

Most immigrants (76%) are in the country legally, while a quarter are unauthorized. In 2015, 44% were naturalized U.S. citizens.

Some 27% of immigrants were permanent residents and 5% were temporary residents. Another 24% of all immigrants were unauthorized immigrants in 2015. From 1990 to 2007, the unauthorized immigrant population tripled in size – from 3.5 million to a record high of 12.2 million. During the Great Recession, the number declined by 1 million and since then has leveled off. In 2015, there were 11 million unauthorized immigrants in the U.S., accounting for 3.4% of the nation’s population.

The decline in the unauthorized immigrant population is due largely to a fall in the number from Mexico – the single largest group of unauthorized immigrants in the U.S. Between 2007 and 2015, this group decreased by more than 1 million. Meanwhile, this decline was partly offset by a rise in the number from Central America, Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
Who is arriving today?

About 1 million immigrants arrive in the U.S. each year. In 2015, the top country of origin for new immigrants coming into the U.S. was India, with 110,000 people, followed by Mexico (109,000), China (90,000) and Canada (35,000).

By race and ethnicity, more Asian immigrants than Hispanic immigrants have arrived in the U.S. each year since 2010. Immigration from Latin America slowed following the Great Recession, particularly from Mexico, which has seen net losses in U.S. immigration over the past few years.

Asians are projected to become the largest immigrant group in the U.S. by 2055, surpassing Hispanics. In 2065, Pew Research Center estimates indicate that Asians will make up some 38% of all immigrants, Hispanics 31%, whites 20% and blacks 9%.
How many immigrants are working in the U.S.?

In 2014, about 27 million immigrants were working in the U.S., making up some 17% of the total civilian labor force. Lawful immigrants made up the majority of the immigrant workforce at 19.5 million. An additional 8 million immigrant workers are unauthorized immigrants, a number little changed since 2009. They alone account for 5% of the civilian labor force.

Immigrants, regardless of legal status, work in a variety of different jobs, and do not make up the majority of workers in any U.S. industry. Lawful immigrants are most likely to be in professional, management, or business and finance jobs (37%) or service jobs (22%). Unauthorized immigrants, by contrast, are most likely to be in service (32%) or construction jobs (16%).

Immigrants are also projected to drive future growth in the U.S. working-age population through at least 2035. As the Baby Boom generation heads into retirement, immigrants and their children are expected to offset a decline in the working-age population by adding about 18 million people of working age between 2015 and 2035.
How many immigrants have been deported recently?

Around 344,000 immigrants were deported from the U.S. in fiscal 2016, slightly up since 2015. Overall, the Obama administration deported about 3 million immigrants between 2009 and 2016, a significantly higher number than the 2 million immigrants deported by the Bush administration between 2001 and 2008.

Immigrants convicted of a crime made up the minority of deportations in 2015, the most recent year for which statistics by criminal status are available. Of the 333,000 immigrants deported in 2015, some 42% had criminal convictions and 58% were not convicted of a crime. From 2001 to 2015, a majority (60%) of immigrants deported have not been convicted of a crime.
Again, a far more complicated picture than one gets from rhetoric on either side. It seems that some kind of immigration is sorely needed and promoted while some kind is discouraged and that it's a grey area whether the kind of immigration which is discouraged is needed or not. Also regulation of immigration (even through expulsions) seems to be a bi-partisan issue.

In this context Donald Trump seems to have exploited what is a common concern and to have expanded on what others (including Obama) already did, while his inflammatory rhetoric has given both a strong fan base and a strong critic base on this issue, both of which seem to be basing their reactions more on rhetoric than on reality.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

This is kind of remarkable -- DeRay Mckesson having a moment of "wokeness" about the justice warriors he's running with.
Last summer, DeRay Mckesson, the civil-rights activist best known for his work with Black Lives Matter, worried that “there is a noticeable absence of grace in the movement space,” that “some people are more addicted to fighting than winning,” and that the personal backgrounds of organizers are too often treated as if they are a proxy for their effectiveness. “We have started to police people's authenticity by their proximity to trauma, not their proximity to the work,” he said. “Both my parents were drug addicts. My father raised us. My mother left. I know what it's like to sleep on the floor when they shoot too close to the house. That doesn't make me a better organizer. It could actually just make me more traumatized. How do we stop thinking about proximity to trauma as the thing that makes you the best organizer?”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... in/522102/

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Ape+lust wrote:Brave, brave Rebecca wrote a hit piece on Tron Guy.

There's something about Trons that sets her off.

http://imgur.com/8WPq2rx.jpg

She's so insignificant now that she is reduced to making inane vidoes like this, (who the fuck is Tron Guy?) it just smacks of desperation to me.
Not sure content like this is going to help pay for the big house she dreams of getting in the Bay area.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

shoutinghorse wrote:(who the fuck is Tron Guy?)
Only one of the biggest gaming/comedy Youtubers on the planet lol. He "came out" on Sargon a while back as being simpatico with the Youtube skeptisphere/"alt-right" (as dubbed by SJWs, not the real thing) camp.

She's riding on his fame, just like the idiots on the WSJ did with Pewdiepie. One of the most hilarious things about the Piewdiepie flap was that apparently they contacted him privately to ask him "if he wanted a platform to defend himself."

That's a newspaper with a circulation of 2-odd million asking the top Youtuber with a subscriber base of 50+ million "if he wants a platform". You've got to lol. Ofc it's so obviously the other way round, which Pewdiepie made much hay with in some of his videos subsequent to the flap.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Old_ones wrote:Don't know if you ever played Oblivion, but it's Shivering isles expansion is probably my favorite setting in any game as far as visuals go.

You didn't eat them did right? :drool:
I wasn't supposed to ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Whooaaaa... my salad greens are emiting a purple glow, and THEY'RE TALKING TO ME!

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Steersman wrote:Although, fortunately or not, it seems that much of behaviour is crucially determined by biology.
It's too strong to say gender behaviour is determined by biology - if it were there would be no need for the concept of gender, after all.

But I wouldn't even tie gender too closely to biology, it's just a spectrum of behaviours that just tend to cluster around their respectively-biologically-named sex norms. As usual, it's some particular mix of nature and nurture, different for some people than others.

Amusingly, one of the "campest" guys I know was a raving heterosexual, I mean an absolute horndog, a beast. Married one of the most drop-dead-gorgeous women I've ever met in real life.

Presumably his campitude was partly some innate thing, amplified by the learned advantage it brought him in slipping under some girls' radars.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

gurugeorge wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:(who the fuck is Tron Guy?)
Only one of the biggest gaming/comedy Youtubers on the planet lol. He "came out" on Sargon a while back as being simpatico with the Youtube skeptisphere/"alt-right" (as dubbed by SJWs, not the real thing) camp.

She's riding on his fame, just like the idiots on the WSJ did with Pewdiepie. One of the most hilarious things about the Piewdiepie flap was that apparently they contacted him privately to ask him "if he wanted a platform to defend himself."

That's a newspaper with a circulation of 2-odd million asking the top Youtuber with a subscriber base of 50+ million "if he wants a platform". You've got to lol. Ofc it's so obviously the other way round, which Pewdiepie made much hay with in some of his videos subsequent to the flap.
That's JonTron, the guy in the pic above.

The one Rebecca is picking on today is Tron Guy, an early internet celebrity who became famous for his homemade Tron costume (and his wincingly miniscule camel toe):

http://imgur.com/A8upfdW.jpg

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Steersman wrote:

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/BEzBCbH.jpg[/img]
:lol: I think I should probably "identify" as a bipolar junction transistor ...
I've heard that you transistor people have been very important to technological advancements during the last half century or so. Thank you. :D

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

gurugeorge wrote:

Only one of the biggest gaming/comedy Youtubers on the planet
I'm not really into the gaming scene so probably why I'd never heard of him, well I say never heard, quite possibly I had but he just didn't resonate with me and was quickly forgotten.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Ape+lust wrote:This is kind of remarkable -- DeRay Mckesson having a moment of "wokeness" about the justice warriors he's running with.
Last summer, DeRay Mckesson, the civil-rights activist best known for his work with Black Lives Matter, worried that “there is a noticeable absence of grace in the movement space,” that “some people are more addicted to fighting than winning,” and that the personal backgrounds of organizers are too often treated as if they are a proxy for their effectiveness. “We have started to police people's authenticity by their proximity to trauma, not their proximity to the work,” he said. “Both my parents were drug addicts. My father raised us. My mother left. I know what it's like to sleep on the floor when they shoot too close to the house. That doesn't make me a better organizer. It could actually just make me more traumatized. How do we stop thinking about proximity to trauma as the thing that makes you the best organizer?”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... in/522102/
The entire article is great and should be a must read for anyone who supports leftist ideas. I especially like this part:
“The problem with making your political program the assembly of a moral aristocracy is that hierarchy always requires exclusivity,” DeBoer argues. “A fundamental, structural impediment to liberal political victory is that their preferred kind of moral engagement necessarily limits the number of adherents they can win. It’s just math: you can’t grow a mass party when the daily operation of your movement involves finding more and more heretics to ostracize from the community.”
This is a big flaw in many leftist parties these days, they're all about purity tests, excluding anyone whose ideas they don't like from the discourse. This is what alienates many who might be interested in having a discussion because they don't want to be labeled as bigots just for disagreeing.

When this was taken to its logical extreme this is what sunk the Atheism Plus forum, or the Atheism Plus movement, or FTB. It's justcommon sense that the more you engage in purity tests the less people are on your side.

It's like passing things through a series of filters: the more filters you have, and the smaller are the holes, the less stuff you get in the end. People are no different.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

shoutinghorse wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:

Only one of the biggest gaming/comedy Youtubers on the planet
I'm not really into the gaming scene so probably why I'd never heard of him, well I say never heard, quite possibly I had but he just didn't resonate with me and was quickly forgotten.
I got the wrong end of the stick, check Ape+Lust's correction of my misapprehension above.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

The UN's newest member of the women's rights commission is so offended by a German granny's hair that they feel the need to pixel it out.
Maybe BeckyBooze could do a video highlighting the rampant misogyny in Saudi Arabia .. I wont hold my breath.

http://i.imgur.com/XNHNVqK.png

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Kirbmarc wrote:https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... in/522102/

The entire article is great and should be a must read for anyone who supports leftist ideas. I especially like this part:
“The problem with making your political program the assembly of a moral aristocracy is that hierarchy always requires exclusivity,” DeBoer argues. “A fundamental, structural impediment to liberal political victory is that their preferred kind of moral engagement necessarily limits the number of adherents they can win. It’s just math: you can’t grow a mass party when the daily operation of your movement involves finding more and more heretics to ostracize from the community.”
This is a big flaw in many leftist parties these days, they're all about purity tests, excluding anyone whose ideas they don't like from the discourse. This is what alienates many who might be interested in having a discussion because they don't want to be labeled as bigots just for disagreeing.

When this was taken to its logical extreme this is what sunk the Atheism Plus forum, or the Atheism Plus movement, or FTB. It's justcommon sense that the more you engage in purity tests the less people are on your side.

It's like passing things through a series of filters: the more filters you have, and the smaller are the holes, the less stuff you get in the end. People are no different.
There are no words strong enough to express how much I despise these people.

I'm a Leftie. I've long believed the branches of the US federal government needed a good leftward tug to balance the rightward drift of the last 40 years. It's a notion that has never been an easy sell in the United States.

But by 2008, we'd had the Dot Com implosion, the housing bust, a multiple-front war in the mideast, the Great Wall Street Heist and bailouts, AND the Republican party was fracturing and becoming too lunatic for even conservative America. We had a singular historic moment when it was possible that the American public would be receptive to liberal solutions.

Not to minimize the effects of a DLC-lite placeholder president or feckless Democrats who were given control of the House in a sweeping rout, only to lose it in a few years... but when the po-mo identitarian freaks showed up and somehow became THE voice of the American Left, any hope of change ended. They blew an opportunity we'll likely never get again.

And you know, these idiots are SO effective at being ineffective, I'll bet the Koch bros would happily set up endowments so they could carry on for another 10-20 years.