Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Kirbmarc

Re: Everyone I don't Like is a Regressive and they are all V

Post by Kirbmarc »

Aneris wrote:It does not reflect my views at all. I am against laws that ban symbols, art, or political speech. I am totally against the protection of ideas by law. I see a few "strictly delineated and individually justified" limitations, when it comes to personality rights and privacy. I also believe that in a free democracy people have a right to not live in fear of being murdered. Speech that demonstrably incites to violence, Fatwas, calls to murder someone etc. cannot enjoy freedom of speech protections.
How is the naked German woman meme doing the nazi salute inciting to violence, exactly? :think: Also there's a different between a precise fatwa and a precise call for murder and violent rhetoric which doesn't explicitly call for murder, which is what I pointed out with my examples.
This was another disagreement. Precisely my reluctance to throw the entire law (nuance and such) was exploited. Kirbmarc argued that politicians have to put up with calls to being murdered, here. Not only is there this PEGIDA case I was citing, it also ties into a new political reality, see the murder of Jo Cox, and knife-attack on Henriette Reker that left her severely wounded. Once more, more arrows that point to the Far Right corner (surprise, surprise!).
Why don't you quote what was written, instead of trying to link me to a context of murders and attacks (pretty dishonest on your part)? You wrote:
Context Two is AFD and Neo Nazis and suchlike in Germany, where the government is interested in dealing with their material online. It already was allegal for a long time. Normally, such instances would have to go through authorities and would end with legal trouble. This law (as far as I understood it) dumbs it down to merely delete such material, in order to contain it. The background is that PEGIDA, AFD and Extreme Right circles are spreading incitement to violence, libel and defamation and suchlike in the guise of Fake News and Volksverhetzung (i.e. "hate speech"). This is serious stuff, like building gallows for politicians and such, not kids shitposting.
You seemed to think that this was exclusive to PEGIDA and AFG, or at least that PEGIDA and AFG were so bad that they justified the restrictive laws on speech. I pointed out cases of people calling for the assassination of Donald Trump, and of islamists being allowed to go around with placards say "behead those who insult islam" (so uhm, it's not just the far right doing it!), to prove my case that:
Deep down the difference of context is between the US, the UK (and Switzerland) and Germany. Building gallows for politicians would be considered freedom of speech in the US. Threats against politicians are considered protected speech
Also I wrote:
Pegida uses stupid, violent rhetoric, but is it any worse of those things? Moreover, was the picture of a naked woman doing the nazi salute really comparable to violent rhetoric?
Politicians are targets of violence. This is nothing new, and it's not really just the Far Right doing it, a man tried to kill Donald frigging Trump, I doubt he was a far-righter.
On June 18, 2016, an attempt was made to assassinate the presumptive Republican nominee for the 2016 United States presidential election, Donald Trump, in the final weeks of the Republican presidential primaries. While Trump was speaking at a rally in Las Vegas, Nevada, Briton Michael Steven Sandford attempted to seize the sidearm of a Las Vegas Metropolitan police officer providing security for the event before being subdued. There were no injuries. Sandford, who had a lengthy history of mental disorders, stated that he had wished to kill Trump to prevent him from becoming President.
On June 16, 2015, Donald Trump announced that he intended to run for President of the United States. Sandford decided that "if Trump was elected, it would change the world...somebody had to stand up for America."[3] Prior to the assassination attempt, Sandford had displayed no interest in politics.[5] Following his arrest, Sandford expressed to his father his concern about policies of Trump's such as building a wall along the United States-Mexico border and halting immigration to the United States by Muslims,[6] calling Trump a racist.[10]
Specific threats are illegal in the US or Switzerland as they are everywhere else. Using violent rhetoric which isn't a specific threat is allowed. Charlie Sheen has asked God to "take Donald Trump next". A German journalists (Joseph Joffe) has expressed the idea that what could stop Donald Trump was "murder in the White House". I wouldn't want those people to go to jail for their generic violent rhetoric.

Likewise the PEGIDA idiots haven't said "let's kill Angela Merkel", they've built gallows with the words "reserved for Angela Merkel" written on them. Morbid? Yeah. Creepy? Yeah. Stupid? Hell yeah. But it's not a specific threat, not more than Joffe wishing for someone to murder Donald Trump. Countless people have called for the assassination or death of Donald Trump, some of them have gotten in trouble with the law, in most cases those who got in trouble had posted specific threats. I've never argued against those arrests, and I think that serious, precise threats against any person (including politicians of all stripes) aren't protected free speech.

Anyway this is all a bit sidestep. The livestream was about the guy whose house was raided allegedly because of a meme which didn't contain any violent rhetoric, let alone threats. Your insertion of political violence was an attempt to change the discourse to one about the looming threat of the Far Right, to which Sargon may be laying the pipes for.

John D

Post by John D »

Aneris wrote:
John D wrote:So - your whole gripe for the last three weeks has been the fact that you think people with unfavorable opinions should not be discussed or interviewed by bloggers and the media? That any time you discuss someone you disagree with you are giving them a platform... and thus giving them support?

Is that what these giant walls of text are about?
Can you state your gripe in one well formed sentence? Can you summarize without making a wall of text? Is this in you skill-set?
My gripe?

I had put the main people on ignore a long time ago, and it would have died quickly, wouldn't they constantly invent what views I have. I could leave that slide, but when you visit a forum for four years, there is initially the desire to protect the persona from gross lies. My idea was to wrap it up, do the Strawkins and Jan Steen thing and fade away. Not as gracefully as they did it, but hey. Then you have only Kirbmarc and Steersman's walls to overcome.
So.... your gripe is that you hate people on the pit? Wellllll.... fuck the hell out of me! haha!

TheMudbrooker

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by TheMudbrooker »

I used to think the Steersbot had a glitch in its programming, but it turns out it was a highly contagious virus. We now have three of the folks formerly known for consistently insightful and interesting posts vomiting out endless walls of text on the Antifa-nigger-nazi-cunt hypothesis.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Basement wrote:
feathers wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:The good old days :lol:

(saucy minx)
http://i.imgur.com/oLbpnV5.jpg
Can't say any of these make the old horse prance.
In my younger days...after a 12 pack...OH YEAH. Hello, ladies!
I dunno - Becky's got some pretty chunky thighs there, and by now they'll be somewhat lumpy and blue-veined as well. I'll pass.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

feathers wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:I really, really hope that Donald Trump will be defeated [...]
Oh, he will.

In 2024.

By Pence.
Yeah, despite record low popularity I think he's in for a second term. Everything is set up for another Hillary run. The political capital of the Clintons seems nearly infinite. They've already stacked the DNC with her allies. Her propaganda organs are still going strong and cranking out "Hillary did nothing wrong! It was the Russians, the FBI, Bernie Sanders and the Bernie Bro's fault! White working class people are all racists! There are no lessons to be learned from 2016!" I'll also be shocked if there isn't a Chelsea Clinton House run in either 2018 or 2020. Probably 2020 because can you imagine how cute it will be with mother and daughter running for office? Melissa McEwen just rubbed one out at the thought of it.

I recently checked out Sargon for the first time in a while. I don't think he's a Nazi, but he's definitely drinking the alt-right sippy cup. Media conspiracies?
I think it started off harmlessly enough along the lines of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thinking, but it's evident he's really buying into it now. If you were to post a transcript here of one of his videos could you tell at a glance it wasn't by Davedodo?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Aneris wrote:I had put the main people on ignore a long time ago, and it would have died quickly, wouldn't they constantly invent what views I have. I could leave that slide, but when you visit a forum for four years, there is initially the desire to protect the persona from gross lies. My idea was to wrap it up, do the Strawkins and Jan Steen thing and fade away. Not as gracefully as they did it, but hey. Then you have only Kirbmarc and Steersman's walls to overcome.
I haven't invented anything. I have clarified that you weren't pro-censorship, or even saying that anyone who's in favor of freedom of speech is a nazi:
For all that's worth I don't think Aneris is saying that allowing freedom of speech to everyone means you're a Nazi. Even though Aneris put me on ignore, which is funny since she hasn't put even Steerzo on ignore, I feel compelled to defend her on this specific part of the issue.
I had every right to go all Michael Nugent ("justify or apologize!") after you smeared me and Service Dog as "being in service of a neo-nazi agenda". But I didn't. I mocked you (gently enough) for a while, then we had some further discussion, then you blocked me. After a while the conversation died down, and we both moved on to different thing, although you kept referring to your pet peeve from time to time, so you hadn't moved on so much.
The recent climate change skepticism drivel also probably has to do with the influx of the Trump, Truther, Identitarian, Conspiracist connection. Fortunately, Potholer54 is at it ...
But again, nothing of substance happened. I moved on the psychology tests, SJW stupidity from Dan Arel and others on Bernie Sanders, and some news and opinions on islam. There was some stuff you posted about Lauren Southern which lead to a brief reprise of the discussion, not just between you and me but between others. After pro-boxing-fan wrote about on Lauren Southern, however, you wrote this post.
What could change your mind to at least consider it? As Kirbmarc, and Service Dod made clear: nothing. The denialist will drive up the costs, demand more and more evidence, which must fit ever more specific criteria — however none that they apply to their position (e.g. for calling someone Regressive). Importantly, the new evidence is not even acknowleged, or quickly dismissed.
It's pretty clear that even though you had blocked me and Service Dog you just couldn't let it go, and you added more smears (like the facts that I didn't ask for enough evidence for calling someone Regressive), to which I replied:
As for Aneris' accusation that I classify people as Regressives at the drop of hat, this is also dishonest.

I've written many times that people like Ophelia Benson, Heina Dadhabhoy, Nice Mangos, even Ed Brayton while SJ-adjacent and a bit obsessed with purity tests, aren't Regressives. Regressive Leftists are those who openly apologize for islam because "muslims are oppressed". No one of those people does it, so no matter how much I disagree with them on other issues (like "special pronouns" in the caso of Mangoes or feminist issues in the case of Benson and Brayton) they're not Regressives.

The Regressive Left are people like CJ Werleman, Glenn Greenwald, Nathan Lean, Giliell or PZ Myers, who deny that islam has big issues, or in the case of Myers minimize those issues, and in doing so betray the ideals of criticism of bigotry when it's muslims who are bigots.
Now, who's putting putting words in other people's mouths? Who's inventing views that I don't have, like that I need tons of evidence for accepting your position but that none of those standards of evidence or nuance apply to calling someone "Regressive"? Who's the one who d can't stop referring to me even after blocking me? :think:

John D

Post by John D »

:whistle: Oh... and by the way.... fuck you bunch of cunts! :whistle:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Aneris, Service Dog, Kirbmarc -- take it to another stream already.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I listened to part of an older stream of Sargon's the other day - the one where he was talking to Mykeru.

Sargon brought up the topic of what was being taught in Communication Studies - and seemed shocked that they were studying the ideas of Edward Bernays and Saul Alinsky.

I know that he has since spoken with admiration of some the techniques used in 'Rules for Radicals' - so it seems he has taken the maxim 'There are no bad tactics, only bad targets' to heart.

And recently he has been framing things in terms of a 'Culture War' - the criticism I heard of this idea - is that it's not so much a war as it is just the normal cut and thrust of culture. Obviously there has been some shifting in his thinking (even if not to the right).

Perhaps it would clarify things if he were to write a 'Sargonian Manifesto' to clarify exactly what he thinks - rather than it come out in dribs and drabs over time.

Ah, well it's not as if he owes anything to me or others anyway.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

John D wrote::whistle: Oh... and by the way.... fuck you bunch of cunts! :whistle:
I'm not sure that is the correct collective noun.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Aneris, Service Dog, Kirbmarc -- take it to another stream already.
Well if you are still commenting - I don't think they should change streams in mid horse.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Aneris, Service Dog, Kirbmarc -- take it to another stream already.

here here :clap:

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

katamari Damassi wrote:
I recently checked out Sargon for the first time in a while. I don't think he's a Nazi, but he's definitely drinking the alt-right sippy cup. Media conspiracies?
I think it started off harmlessly enough along the lines of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thinking, but it's evident he's really buying into it now. If you were to post a transcript here of one of his videos could you tell at a glance it wasn't by Davedodo?

He's gotten worse in this respect over the last year, I think the election fuss went to his head a bit.
It's all good and well to be an internet 4chan shitposter, but that persona doesn't sit well beside the posture of someone pertaining to providw thought-out commentary.

Gone is the Sargon who made lengthy videos about how The Conservatives were 'your enemy', replaced with a load of much less considered blather about Jeremy Corbyn (often just Sargon shouting at him, useful) and videos that are pro Le Penn. Everybody knows Corbyn's faults and he's not going to win the election, why not focus some of that rage born from 'Labour not supporting the working man' onto how the imminent Conservatives are not going to support the working man?

It doesn't really matter and I don't care if he wants to go in a rightwing direction, but I do feel the quality and objectivity that was a feature of earlier Sargon has been lost in favour of kek memes and jokes that I can find for myself without having to watch a video about it.

SIppy cup indeed.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

As opposed to pretending every fucking day.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Why this constant talk about an average youtuber? What does Sargon have that is special enough that he's being discussed that much on the pit? Why is he taken so seriously? I mean, the guy has as much subscribers as the next average youtube gaming channel and he's not particularly entertaining.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

TheMudbrooker wrote:I used to think the Steersbot had a glitch in its programming, but it turns out it was a highly contagious virus. We now have three of the folks formerly known for consistently insightful and interesting posts vomiting out endless walls of text on the Antifa-nigger-nazi-cunt hypothesis.
:dance:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

I'll be bummed if you left, Aneris. Please reconsider.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I too have an appreciation for Aneris.

Either she has me on ingore or most of my comments have been trivial to the point of irrelevance.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

DrokkIt wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
He's gotten worse in this respect over the last year, I think the election fuss went to his head a bit.
It's all good and well to be an internet 4chan shitposter, but that persona doesn't sit well beside the posture of someone pertaining to providw thought-out commentary.

Gone is the Sargon who made lengthy videos about how The Conservatives were 'your enemy', replaced with a load of much less considered blather about Jeremy Corbyn (often just Sargon shouting at him, useful) and videos that are pro Le Penn. Everybody knows Corbyn's faults and he's not going to win the election, why not focus some of that rage born from 'Labour not supporting the working man' onto how the imminent Conservatives are not going to support the working man?

It doesn't really matter and I don't care if he wants to go in a rightwing direction, but I do feel the quality and objectivity that was a feature of earlier Sargon has been lost in favour of kek memes and jokes that I can find for myself without having to watch a video about it.

SIppy cup indeed.
I was at that point a week or two ago, and woke an angry sleeping dog and his friends.

[click to enlarge]
https://i.imgur.com/vGIkSS8.jpg

I use this lose collection deliberately in this way, to show that symbology and memes, as awell as content flow very freely from very serious to ironic. There is the danger of selection bias, and consequently confirmation bias. But as you can see, these examples are "high level", not a random collection of any random posters, but opinion leaders and main points they make. It is of course not throughout, or methodical, but hasn't to be, to show the point. There is no noticably break point (or ironic distance as I called it many times before) that would suggest that the communicators are in stark opposition to messages they allegedly post only in jest. I should mention that part of an assignment back in university was researching propaganda, which is another reason why I don't see such things as lightly. Add to that, that the Far Right is on the rise, and part of that is the skillful play with memes, rebranding Far Right ideology and using stooges and shills who deny any seriousness of the matter -- which has traction because of Regressives who cried wolf for so many years.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Has anyone here seen the Auroia Borelias (sp).

I'm watching American Gods - and am thinking of planning a trip to Reijeavik (sp).

Guest_440911e7

Post by Guest_440911e7 »

It's reddit, so who knows, but:

reddit com/r/AskReddit/comments/68l83g/serious_what_secret_could_ruin_your_life/dgzeuww/
What secret could ruin my life?

I secretly take off my hijab.

On social media I wear the hijab. In front of all my parents, other family, most of my friends, I wear a hijab. Here's my story: When I graduated two years ago I decided to look for a job, and I wasn't able to land anything. I came up with the the idea to start interviewing without wearing one, and once I get an offer I'd start wearing it again. I ended up getting two great job offers (which made me really sad that my theory of taking it off and easily finding a job was true). I took one and haven't worn it to work at all. I don't know what happened in the mix of things. I guess I started to like the attention men gave me and I actually felt like I belonged/normal with my peers. It was a feeling I've never felt. Everyone started treating me different, as if I was worth speaking to. I don't get weird looks anymore, I don't get asked weird questions.

I'm too afraid to tell my parents about it because of disappointment and I'm even more afraid of the Muslim community finding out. Bullying and talking shit happens a lot to girls who "take it off". I wear it to family functions, and when I'm at a place where I know I can run into someone I know.

So yes in essence I guess I am living a double life. Say what you want I'm ok for now living like this. I keep changing my mind on what I permanent want to do.
The second highest reply is: /r/AskReddit/comments/68l83g/serious_what_secret_could_ruin_your_life/dgzft79/
I'm really, truly sorry that society treats you differently whether you wear a hijab or not. That dichotomy shouldn't be there, and you shouldn't be forced to give up your choice in religious clothing just to be treated like an equal human being :(

Edit: To clarify for the multitudes of people responding "BUT WHAT ABOUT HER FAMILY NOT GIVING HER A CHOICE WHETHER TO WEAR A HIJAB OR NOT!!!!?????"

My comment is making the point that she should be able to choose whether to wear a hijab or not, without having to take into consideration how strangers will treat her and whether she'll be hired or not. She should be treated in the same way, no matter if she chooses to wear it or not. As to her family and their religious view, as a non-Muslim, I don't really feel qualified to have a judgement about how their family should feel.

I think that so many people see hijabs and immediately think that the woman is FORCED into wearing it by the OPPRESSIVE, PATRIARCHAL Islamic society!!11! I think that most of us are really not informed enough about the significance of the hijab, or the personal reasons behind the choice to wear it, to make that sort of immediate judgement. Really, the only person who should have a say whether they should wear a hijab or not are Muslim women themselves.
But wait there's more, someone else asks: /r/AskReddit/comments/68l83g/serious_what_secret_could_ruin_your_life/dgzgxtu/
Okay.

So hypothetically, if you weren't discriminated by both communities over a piece of cloth (people at work behaving as they are right now and Muslims not harassing you whether you're wearing a hijab or not), what would you prefer? On or Off?

:)
And hijabi girl says: r/AskReddit/comments/68l83g/serious_what_secret_could_ruin_your_life/dgzjgj2/
I would prefer to keep it on :)
You can lead a horse to water...

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

shoutinghorse wrote:As opposed to pretending every fucking day.
I can't wait for the day she has to finesse her decade and a half of fucking around into something substantial enough for a pancake house resume. She should be preparing for the inevitable end of free money, but is too arrogant to bother.

http://imgur.com/LaTaQ5B.jpg

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

MarcusAu wrote:Has anyone here seen the Auroia Borelias (sp).

I'm watching American Gods - and am thinking of planning a trip to Reijeavik (sp).
http://cdn2.pussyspot.net/media/images_ ... 478734.jpg

Oops, wrong Aurora.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Ape+lust wrote:I'll be bummed if you left, Aneris. Please reconsider.
Thanks Ape! Hope you're well. Btw, lose ends. Did you know, one of your images cost me Sam Harris following on twitter -- but he's seen it (it was one with Oolon and the block bot). Habits die slowly, I often posted stuff somewhere else and not here, as the Pit moved towards image board and one liners, which is fine. And I can always check in and praise your latest creation. :)

Btw, there's the Affinity Photo/Designer apps that wants to become a cheap but powerful alternative to the Adobe empire. Maybe something for you.
MarcusAu wrote:Either she has me on ingore or most of my comments have been trivial to the point of irrelevance.
I read along and laugh along most of the time, you're appreciated, too. I always ignored only few people, like Nec and Jesper and such characters. I just burn most of my time on one or two things.

John D

Post by John D »

I will take this opportunity to share my aurora borealis (Northern Lights) story. In summary... it was so dramatic that I don't even bother tying to see it again.

So, I was on a business trip in May of 1997 (I think). We were in Churchill Manitoba. It is the last place in North America that has frozen lakes (and that you can actually get to). You either fly or take a train. There are no roads to Churchill. We were doing late season automotive testing for ABS brakes and I was one of the development engineers.

We stayed for a week which allowed us to check out the sights. One morning we took a snowmobile tour out on Hudson Bay. We saw seals and lots of polar bear tracks (no bears however). When we arrived a nice lady at the airport said that the bears were about to start coming ashore. If we saw a bear we should run to the nearest house and pound on the door yelling "bear". Anyone in town will let you in. The young male bears were sometimes very dangerous.

So... (on to the Northern Lights story). We drank in the foreign legion hall where we could join as a member. We had to promise to not insult the Queen and we had to not swear. Good deal... $3 beers. We hung out with a local Inuit woman who was a school teacher. She was really interesting. We chatted and got drunk and then left at midnight or so.

and then.... BAM! As we stepped out the door...The entire sky was lit up. The aurora was from one horizon to the other. It was completely over our heads. There were waves of green and yellow running in streams. My drunken coworker and I just stood in the 20 degree air and shouted "What the fuck!". So, then my drunk coworker starts jumping in the air trying to grab the light. He is leaping up and yelling and grabbing the air. I yell at him "What are you doing!" and he says "That Eskimo woman in there told me the lights were just above your head and you can grab them!" so I yell "You dumbass... the Northern Light are in the ionosphere... and besides... she is an Inuit!"

Haha... fuck. That was great!

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

I recall once a discussion of trans identity that went something like this:

Let's say a sliding scale from 1 to 10. 1 is fully masculine, 10 is fully feminine. You've got a kid who's a 4, doesn't really feel like he fits the identity he believes society has planned for him. So he transitions. Only now the gap between who this kid is and who she now thinks she should be is even wider.

I'm still not sure if this is an accurate description of trans mental states, but I'm starting to think it's a fairly good description of contemporary political mindsets. Lots of people who've decided modern Leftism doesn't seem like it's for them anymore, so they're gonna be Right. Even if it's an even worse fit and doing so means making up a bunch of stupid bullshit like Rubin saying "generally the right is more individualist." Fucking hell nothing brings my piss to a boil quite like that garbage.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

A warning-my dad has been to Iceland several times (my grandfather was from there) and he has yet to see the Aurora Borealis, through cloud cover and bad luck. Lots of beautiful stuff even if the lights don't pan out.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Aneris wrote: as the Pit moved towards image board and one liners, which is fine.
The last few pages certainly don't back that up.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I'm really, truly sorry that society treats you differently whether you wear a hijab or not. That dichotomy shouldn't be there, and you shouldn't be forced to give up your choice in religious clothing just to be treated like an equal human being :(
The thing is that the main idea behind the hijab is to be treated differently. It shows that you are a muslim woman and are not to mix with non-related males or presumably with non-believers. Hardly the fault of "society" for not being as friendly or thinking that they might be fit for working with other people.
If anything the fact that she has people being more friendly and more likely to hire her without the hijab shows that the "islamophobia" isn't really about racism.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Sulman wrote:
Aneris wrote: as the Pit moved towards image board and one liners, which is fine.
The last few pages certainly don't back that up.
...this deviation from trend was certainly not appreciated ;)

CaptainFluffyBunny

Sunder wrote:I recall once a discussion of trans identity that went something like this:

Let's say a sliding scale from 1 to 10. 1 is fully masculine, 10 is fully feminine. You've got a kid who's a 4, doesn't really feel like he fits the identity he believes society has planned for him. So he transitions. Only now the gap between who this kid is and who she now thinks she should be is even wider.

I'm still not sure if this is an accurate description of trans mental states, but I'm starting to think it's a fairly good description of contemporary political mindsets. Lots of people who've decided modern Leftism doesn't seem like it's for them anymore, so they're gonna be Right. Even if it's an even worse fit and doing so means making up a bunch of stupid bullshit like Rubin saying "generally the right is more individualist." Fucking hell nothing brings my piss to a boil quite like that garbage.
It's very hard not to go to the right when so much of the left seems determined to March to destruction and tell you you're Alt-Right anyway for disagreements regarding free speech or BLM. But it's so foolish to just wholesale adopt an ideology. Ideologies are the enemy of thought.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

I have, from just outside Ballycastle on the north coast of Ireland, probably a about a year and half ago. My brother Alan is a bit of an astronomer and is a member of an online group that sends out alerts when and where the Northern Lights are likely to be visible, he got one and invited me along to keep him company. We tried out a few vantage points and watched the horizon, but it looked like it was too cloudy to get a good show, and it was really cold, so eventually we were about to give up, when we realised that we could see stars through a patch of what we thought was cloud. And then it started. Slowly at first, as it was far away, behind Rathlin Island on the horizon, but it got closer and closer until it was pulsating and undulating right over our heads. The whole thing lasted probably about three quarters of an hour, and it was quite an experience.

The lights don't look as green in real time as they do in photos, probably because it's dark and your eyes aren't taking in enough light to distinguish colours much. They're also less blurred than they are in photos, because you need a long exposure to get enough light for a photo,a and they move quite quickly.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:Why this constant talk about an average youtuber? What does Sargon have that is special enough that he's being discussed that much on the pit? Why is he taken so seriously? I mean, the guy has as much subscribers as the next average youtube gaming channel and he's not particularly entertaining.
Two reasons:

1: he's prominent within "scepticism" on youtube.

2: Precisely that he is average, he represents that scene somewhat.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Aneris wrote: I use this lose collection deliberately in this way, to show that symbology and memes, as awell as content flow very freely from very serious to ironic. There is the danger of selection bias, and consequently confirmation bias. But as you can see, these examples are "high level", not a random collection of any random posters, but opinion leaders and main points they make. It is of course not throughout, or methodical, but hasn't to be, to show the point. There is no noticably break point (or ironic distance as I called it many times before) that would suggest that the communicators are in stark opposition to messages they allegedly post only in jest. I should mention that part of an assignment back in university was researching propaganda, which is another reason why I don't see such things as lightly. Add to that, that the Far Right is on the rise, and part of that is the skillful play with memes, rebranding Far Right ideology and using stooges and shills who deny any seriousness of the matter -- which has traction because of Regressives who cried wolf for so many years.
I do think the core observation that 'serious comment and shitposting don't sit well' to be correct.

I also think that in the general moment of opposition to the regressive left people who are reacting against it open themselves up to others who are doing the same without any reasonable level of scepticism to these new people. I think it's due to looking for common ground, and that's fair enough and understandable in some respects.

It is problem though, saying 'well OK I'm going to interview this ethno-nationalist and treat them well because they behave themselves' and also saying 'the SJW warrior agenda is unreasonable and has power" and not seeing that logical connection in those two things.

I don't necessarily think it's at all deliberate, simply that it reflects the immaturity of a new branch of media not yet accustomed to the responsibilities that will inevitably come. When you are pulling large viewing figures and complaining about MSM bias you are becoming Infowars/TYT pretty quickly if you don't deal with this.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Aneris wrote:
I was at that point a week or two ago, and woke an angry sleeping dog and his friends.

[click to enlarge]
https://i.imgur.com/vGIkSS8.jpg
I very much appreciate my current avatar being in the middle of your obviously rational account, Aneris, right next to the Daily Stormer.
I use this lose collection deliberately in this way, to show that symbology and memes, as awell as content flow very freely from very serious to ironic. There is the danger of selection bias, and consequently confirmation bias.
Gee, you think?
But as you can see, these examples are "high level", not a random collection of any random posters, but opinion leaders and main points they make. It is of course not throughout, or methodical, but hasn't to be, to show the point. There is no noticably break point (or ironic distance as I called it many times before) that would suggest that the communicators are in stark opposition to messages they allegedly post only in jest. I should mention that part of an assignment back in university was researching propaganda, which is another reason why I don't see such things as lightly. Add to that, that the Far Right is on the rise, and part of that is the skillful play with memes, rebranding Far Right ideology and using stooges and shills who deny any seriousness of the matter -- which has traction because of Regressives who cried wolf for so many years.
Or maybe you're conflating different things with different aims and origins, i.e. being a conspiracy theorist.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Aneris wrote:
John D wrote:So - your whole gripe for the last three weeks has been the fact that you think people with unfavorable opinions should not be discussed or interviewed by bloggers and the media? That any time you discuss someone you disagree with you are giving them a platform... and thus giving them support?

Is that what these giant walls of text are about?
Can you state your gripe in one well formed sentence? Can you summarize without making a wall of text? Is this in you skill-set?
My gripe?

I had put the main people on ignore a long time ago, and it would have died quickly, wouldn't they constantly invent what views I have. I could leave that slide, but when you visit a forum for four years, there is initially the desire to protect the persona from gross lies. My idea was to wrap it up, do the Strawkins and Jan Steen thing and fade away. Not as gracefully as they did it, but hey. Then you have only Kirbmarc and Steersman's walls to overcome.
STICK THAT FLOUNCE, SCHATZI !

But please, one final favor. Please take the Big 5 personality test & post results. for Science!

https://www.123test.com/personality-test/

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

DrokkIt wrote:
Aneris wrote: I use this lose collection deliberately in this way, to show that symbology and memes, as awell as content flow very freely from very serious to ironic. There is the danger of selection bias, and consequently confirmation bias. But as you can see, these examples are "high level", not a random collection of any random posters, but opinion leaders and main points they make. It is of course not throughout, or methodical, but hasn't to be, to show the point. There is no noticably break point (or ironic distance as I called it many times before) that would suggest that the communicators are in stark opposition to messages they allegedly post only in jest. I should mention that part of an assignment back in university was researching propaganda, which is another reason why I don't see such things as lightly. Add to that, that the Far Right is on the rise, and part of that is the skillful play with memes, rebranding Far Right ideology and using stooges and shills who deny any seriousness of the matter -- which has traction because of Regressives who cried wolf for so many years.
I do think the core observation that 'serious comment and shitposting don't sit well' to be correct.

I also think that in the general moment of opposition to the regressive left people who are reacting against it open themselves up to others who are doing the same without any reasonable level of scepticism to these new people. I think it's due to looking for common ground, and that's fair enough and understandable in some respects.

It is problem though, saying 'well OK I'm going to interview this ethno-nationalist and treat them well because they behave themselves' and also saying 'the SJW warrior agenda is unreasonable and has power" and not seeing that logical connection in those two things.

I don't necessarily think it's at all deliberate, simply that it reflects the immaturity of a new branch of media not yet accustomed to the responsibilities that will inevitably come. When you are pulling large viewing figures and complaining about MSM bias you are becoming Infowars/TYT pretty quickly if you don't deal with this.
It's particularly difficult when both camps toss rationality out of the window.

Sargon's everyman appeal is obvious, but he's not a good speaker. He falls on bluster too much, and in the case of a shrewd opponent (anyone remember his livestream with infamous pansexual pixie unicorn Jenni Goodchild?) his lack of depth in preparation does show, and when he talked about the Slymepit it was very similar; a constant need to tug conversation around his agenda (which was GG at that time) in spite of the complexity.

Speaking of which, complexity is really the problem, or perhaps a lack of respect for it. People aren't simple, though they might make themselves out to be.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

My northern lights story: I was on a canoeing trip with two friends in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario. I was out by the fire after my friends had gone to bed. My straight tentmate was a snorer and filled the tent with toxic farts, so I was reluctant to go to bed right away. Through the trees I glimpsed the northern lights for the first time in my life. Excitedly I ran to the lake shore to get a better view and tumbled down the embankment hurting my ankle. I walked with a limp for the rest of the trip and portaging was hell. Still worth it though.

I still haven't seen the lights in Alaska, because I'm here during the summers when the days are close to 20 hours long.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Sulman wrote:
It's particularly difficult when both camps toss rationality out of the window.

Sargon's everyman appeal is obvious, but he's not a good speaker. He falls on bluster too much, and in the case of a shrewd opponent (anyone remember his livestream with infamous pansexual pixie unicorn Jenni Goodchild?) his lack of depth in preparation does show, and when he talked about the Slymepit it was very similar; a constant need to tug conversation around his agenda (which was GG at that time) in spite of the complexity.

Speaking of which, complexity is really the problem, or perhaps a lack of respect for it. People aren't simple, though they might make themselves out to be.
Good points. Speaking personally I found Sargon (and the pit) because I was already thinking about this stuff and encountering it with greater frequency. So you naturally start looking or someone who seems reasonable and relate-able.. and with the old Sargon being much more of a centre-lefty I found this appealing. I could read/listen to plenty of conservative criticism of pomo stuff and agree with it but for 'cultural reasons' it always felt a bit off. Maybe that's why I'm more sensitive to these people moving to the right than others.

I guess as soon as one gets comfortable with not constantly being screeched at about patriarchy, it's gets a lot easier to pick the holes in those who initially seemed a better choice.

Also I don't want everyone to agree, it's why I'm here in the first place.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sulman wrote:It's particularly difficult when both camps toss rationality out of the window.

Sargon is a terrible speaker and is often unprepared. He had a terrible livestream where Kristi Winters owned his ass. He's also a pretty piss-poor skeptic. He gave way too much credit to the idea of pedophile rings right after PizzaGate.

However apparently being a poor skeptic and a conspiracy theorist is more widespread than you'd think.
I think you're right. People want to see patterns because it makes their lives simpler, because it's far easier to see all the people you don't like as a massive blob rather than noticing complexity and differences. It happens even to clever, well educated people.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Sargon is a terrible speaker and is often unprepared. He had a terrible livestream where Kristi Winters owned his ass.
Seconded, she made him seem pretty clueless.

John D

Post by John D »

katamari Damassi wrote:My northern lights story: I was on a canoeing trip with two friends in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario. I was out by the fire after my friends had gone to bed. My straight tentmate was a snorer and filled the tent with toxic farts, so I was reluctant to go to bed right away. Through the trees I glimpsed the northern lights for the first time in my life. Excitedly I ran to the lake shore to get a better view and tumbled down the embankment hurting my ankle. I walked with a limp for the rest of the trip and portaging was hell. Still worth it though.

I still haven't seen the lights in Alaska, because I'm here during the summers when the days are close to 20 hours long.
Time for my Algonquin Park backpacking story.

My brothers and a few friends did a five day backpacking loop in Algonquin. Day one we learned that the chipmunks (aka micro-bears) can get into your packs even when you hang them. After the first night my brother had chipmunk poop in his trail-mix..... tasty! We solved the micro-bear problem by hanging our food off a rope with a plate attached. We put a hole in the middle of the plate to make a micro-bear baffle. It worked. The munks would climb down the rope, but could not get around the baffle without falling.

Three days in we were out of cell phone range but a friend had a tiny little radio. The year before he was listening to the radio and told us the Pakistan had launch a nuclear attack on India... haha... big joke. Good one Allan. This time however, he said someone had flown a plane into the world trade center. haha... good one Alan. But nope. This was not a joke. We were all sitting in the north woods in Canada listening to Alan tell us what was happening. My brother freaked out a bit because his son lives in Manhattan. A bunch of Canadian hikers caught us up on the story because it was the 12th when Alan turned on his radio. Crazy memories. I remember marching through the woods with a big pack wondering what the fuck was going on. Sitting by the fire I opined that the Palestinians were royally fucked... and they we might invade Iraq. Haha.

We were very concerned about getting back home across the border. There was a line at the bridge, but they could probably just use our smell to verify our story. Man... our wives were pissed. The trade towers collapsed and they couldn't even reach us on the phone.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Ive seen several but what does (sp) mean?

Funnily enough, ive seen my first Aurora when i was 18 although they are not that rare in the winters where i grew up. Its just that i didn't get the chance to be outdoors in the middle of the night in winters that often until i was old enough to legally drink. That's when i started walking back home after a night of debauchery at a local bar on a regular basis.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

DrokkIt wrote:I do think the core observation that 'serious comment and shitposting don't sit well' to be correct.

Skepticism is always good, and it's good to know where one stands. But it's also good to be skeptical of great narratives about neo-nazi propaganda, and to actually listen to what people say instead of compiling big patchworks of symbols and memes. Because it's not just Alex Jones who can be a conspiracy nut, you know.
There's the matter of who has power. A single ethno-nationalist, as much of a bastard as they might be, doesn't have as much power as a university professor or as people who work in the media. There's also the matter of what you're talking about with the ethno-nationalist. If you're letting them speak their minds then yes, the "I'm only saying SJWs are bad, there's no racism here" narrative goes out of the window. If you're discussing how their dumb and bigoted memes got them a visit from the German police, you might be right-wing, but you're not one and the same with the ethno-nationalist himself.
It's possible, and quite frankly I'm always baffled by the whining about deliberate "MSM" conspiracies when everything is explained much better by a)laziness b) shoddy reporting c) anti new media bias in the old media and d) easy outrages for clickbait.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I saw the Aurora Borealis many, many years ago, way down in the South of England - when the sun was going through one of its 11 year solar max phases. I can vouch for what Paddy Brown says about the colour - I never noticed the rays as being green, more a misty white. Probably not as impressive or as vivid a display you would get going further north, but amazing nonetheless. To me, it seemed as if a band or stream of misty white rays would fade into sight, then gradually turn red and float away, as if being carried away by a breeze. Would love to see it again.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Kirbmarc wrote:I very much appreciate my current avatar being in the middle of your obviously rational account, Aneris, right next to the Daily Stormer.
That's just free speech by Dave Cullen on a MRA stream, and nothing to worry about, according to you and Service Dog. And as you conclude, it's just conspiracy talk. There's no community anymore for a real schism, but something like it is underway. Sit back and enjoy your company. :)

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:

(sp) usually just indicates you aren't a sure about the spelling.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Over a year ago, I posted about Sargon adding to his repertoire​. Expanding from Thunderf00t-style videos, to long-form, unstructured livestream interviews. Others saw those as long on wind/ but short on value. I saw them as Sargon being willing to let valuable details emerge naturally, rather than impose too much preconceived narrative on the conversation. I also observed that others became frustrated when Sargon wasnt quick-enough to signal he is sufficiently on their 'correct' side of an issue. The Reichsburger interview is a perfect example-- apparently it's the hallmark of a nazi to not find-out the guy was a Reichsburger (or what a Reichsburger is, or whether he claims to agree with nazi-ism) until the 2nd hour of interview questions. To me, hour №2 is good-enough, as long as the relevant details are eventually located. For others, the anxious anticipation is exasperating.

The worst thing I can cite about Sargon is a recent remark about how someone who is undocumented for 40 years is a 'career criminal'. Ive spent 20 years trying to pay my taxes, traffic fines & keep my IDs valid-- but keep getting assessed as delinquent for unpaid taxes in a state I dont live in/ and judged guilty in-absentia for 'illegal swimming' in a waterless mountain redrock desert/ and having my paperwork to reinstate my driver's license repeatedly lost & ignored. Others see Sargon as rightwing, but there's a blind trust in Soviet bureaucracy-- in his support of state socialism, which puts him on the other extreme of the horseshoe.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:
sp is an indication that I have realised my spelling may be off - but that I've just finished a large glass of Pimms and lemonade so I can't be bothered to check the words in Google.

Anyway - very cool to here all the stories...except from CaptainFluffyBunny who just by being of Viking decent is both contributing to and a product of 'Rape Culture'.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

katamari Damassi wrote:My northern lights story: I was on a canoeing trip with two friends in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario. I was out by the fire after my friends had gone to bed. My straight tentmate was a snorer and filled the tent with toxic farts, so I was reluctant to go to bed right away. Through the trees I glimpsed the northern lights for the first time in my life. Excitedly I ran to the lake shore to get a better view and tumbled down the embankment hurting my ankle. I walked with a limp for the rest of the trip and portaging was hell. Still worth it though.

Did you feel the earthquakes (centered near Whitehorse) this morning?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:
(sp) usually just indicates you aren't a sure about the spelling.
Well if you're not sure - don't expect me to check it for you.

Fricking :nin:

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Thanks Shatterface and Marcus. I should probably end all my post with (sp) then.

Comparing all your stories with mine ive come to the conclusions that drinking alcohol increase the chance of seeing an Aurora. Maybe Bill Nye would be interested by my finding.

John D

Post by John D »

Come on. Richard Spencer is just what is needed. The left has doubled down on identity politics. You can't reason with a Democrat these days. Most of them actually do support Black Lives Matter. It's fucking bizarre!

So.... haha... along comes the alt-right using the same fucking identity bullshit tactics. But now, the left has fucked up so bad they can hardly deal with the guy. This alt-right shit is gonna get more an more popular in the coming years. It's gonna be fun to watch. I just hope too many buildings don't get blown up in the coming drama.

I mean... I would prefer it if everyone could just talk things out and make continuous progress on topics.... but my fellow citizen are too fucking stupid to do this. I expect that the do nothing congress will keep its hands off most of my money so I suspect I will come out of this just fine.

I mean: Look at their web front page. It reads like a minority support group. haha. fantastic.
NPI is an independent organization dedicated to the heritage, identity, and future of people of European descent in the United States, and around the world. It was founded in 2005 by William Regnery and Samuel T. Francis, in conjunction with Louis R. Andrews.

NPI hosts regular public events and conferences; we publish books, journals, essays, and blogs; we produce videos and podcasts—all dedicated to the revival and flourishing of our people.
http://www.npiamerica.org/

CaptainFluffyBunny

MarcusAu wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote:
sp is an indication that I have realised my spelling may be off - but that I've just finished a large glass of Pimms and lemonade so I can't be bothered to check the words in Google.

Anyway - very cool to here all the stories...except from CaptainFluffyBunny who just by being of Viking decent is both contributing to and a product of 'Rape Culture'.
The Viking version of "How I Met Your Mother" is a bit more to the point than the American sitcom.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

[youtube][/youtube]

CaptainFluffyBunny

John D wrote:Come on. Richard Spencer is just what is needed. The left has doubled down on identity politics. You can't reason with a Democrat these days. Most of them actually do support Black Lives Matter. It's fucking bizarre!

So.... haha... along comes the alt-right using the same fucking identity bullshit tactics. But now, the left has fucked up so bad they can hardly deal with the guy. This alt-right shit is gonna get more an more popular in the coming years. It's gonna be fun to watch. I just hope too many buildings don't get blown up in the coming drama.

I mean... I would prefer it if everyone could just talk things out and make continuous progress on topics.... but my fellow citizen are too fucking stupid to do this. I expect that the do nothing congress will keep its hands off most of my money so I suspect I will come out of this just fine.

I mean: Look at their web front page. It reads like a minority support group. haha. fantastic.
NPI is an independent organization dedicated to the heritage, identity, and future of people of European descent in the United States, and around the world. It was founded in 2005 by William Regnery and Samuel T. Francis, in conjunction with Louis R. Andrews.

NPI hosts regular public events and conferences; we publish books, journals, essays, and blogs; we produce videos and podcasts—all dedicated to the revival and flourishing of our people.
Democrats are certainly enablers lately, aren't they? By not holding the Black community or culture at all accountable for their problems, they ironically do irreparable harm. By blaming "Institutional Racism" for the root of all the ills of minority unemployment, educational failures and rising crime they slap a band-aid on a tumor and also alienate a lot of white voters, especially working-class, many of whom are directly affected by crime and poverty and for some reason resent being told they are racist. The Democrats solutions are actively making racism worse, not better.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Aneris wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:I very much appreciate my current avatar being in the middle of your obviously rational account, Aneris, right next to the Daily Stormer.
That's just free speech by Dave Cullen on a MRA stream, and nothing to worry about, according to you and Service Dog. And as you conclude, it's just conspiracy talk. There's no community anymore for a real schism, but something like it is underway. Sit back and enjoy your company. :)
I'm just admiring your style. Alex Jones would be proud.

Really?

Post by Really? »

John D wrote:Come on. Richard Spencer is just what is needed. The left has doubled down on identity politics. You can't reason with a Democrat these days. Most of them actually do support Black Lives Matter. It's fucking bizarre!

Hilarious, isn't it? The SJWs spend the past 40 years taking over academia, politics, all of these hobby and interest communities. They finagle countless millions of dollars of support from public and private sources. They have a massive apparatus to espouse their identity politics and to punish dissenters.

Then one stupid motherfucker with an ugly haircut comes along and says nearly exactly what they're saying, just with the races reversed. (Though Spencer isn't as racist and extreme as many SJWs we've discussed.) And they all lose their shit. They're advocating violence. They're pushing counterproductive political policies.

As for you, Aneris, I hope you don't go. (I don't know if you have me on block.) I know we're all heated and we sometimes get into scrapes, but I like reading what you have to think.

Guest_b90b0e5c

Post by Guest_b90b0e5c »

deLurch wrote:[.youtube]youtube com/watch?v=pyhbnIam3cg[/youtube]
(Moldylocks)

No mention of Eric Clanton in the news the past few days.

I can understand media not mentioning his name, but on video is good quality recording of at least one antifa led bike lock attack.

I would expect a local media site, daily cal, berkeleyside, sf chronicle, ... la times, would be asking Berkeley PD about the state of their investigation into the bike lock attack AND questioning them about the success of their recent demasking policy and how they will take that forward.

I'd expect them to bring up the 4chan pol crowdsourced Eric Clanton findings and specifically ask if they have spoken to Clanton, and if not, why not.

I'm not in the loop, but I haven't seen anything like that.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Democrats are certainly enablers lately, aren't they? By not holding the Black community or culture at all accountable for their problems, they ironically do irreparable harm. By blaming "Institutional Racism" for the root of all the ills of minority unemployment, educational failures and rising crime they slap a band-aid on a tumor and also alienate a lot of white voters, especially working-class, many of whom are directly affected by crime and poverty and for some reason resent being told they are racist. The Democrats solutions are actively making racism worse, not better.
I'd mostly agree, and say elements within Labour here have done the same stuff. It's less racial as we are mostly honkys, but plenty of very poor people are trapped in the system with nothing incentive-ising getting out or doing better. It's a generational issue now also as people are raised in this context.

I also agree with the general point about ID politics having been pushed by the left and now coming back to bite in arse.