Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Keating

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Keating »

I think the point is that we know how to defeat the religious right. Understanding how to defeat the po-mo inspired regressive left is not obvious and a bigger problem.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

deLurch wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:She admitted on twitch that she wasn't walking him until he'd had all his jabs and was using the balcony to house train him and if she's using 'Bleach' to clean up, the mixture (water bleach urine) will be swept over the edge. .. Puppies piss a lot.
So the downstairs neighbor had good reason to be suspicious due to prior behavior. And it is a good bet that
A) Any water coming down off of her porch is still bringing down residual urine & chlorine that has not fully been washed off yet.
B) Fido is still using the shitting/pissing porch because it has already been established for that use, and it is still a young pup learning to be potty trained.

If Becca had any dog training sense about her, she would be using newspaper, or piss pads until the dog is properly potty trained.
Our dog used piss pads until he realised they could be torn and chewed.

I am very happy with taking him outside and at night I all hail the 2m x 2m sheet of lino flooring bought from Bunnings on which his exercise pen sits.

I can understand her using the balcony but not once she figures that the piss has to go somewhere and that somewhere is her neighbour's "yard". Her reaction demonstrates why she is a horrible human being.

In all honesty I can't understand why you would try and train a puppy in a carpeted non ground floor unit. There's plenty of adult rescue dogs, though you'd have to forgo the puppy cred. Then again it's not like she has anything to do other than traipse up and down the stairs every hour on the hour.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT....

Just watched Arrival. Meh, a little too much estrogen vibe. Not enough swinging dicks.

But if I can be serious for a moment, learning a universal language enables you to see the future?

Unfortunately, the film kind of drowned in its own schmaltz toward the end.

feathers

Post by feathers »

deLurch wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:She admitted on twitch that she wasn't walking him until he'd had all his jabs and was using the balcony to house train him and if she's using 'Bleach' to clean up, the mixture (water bleach urine) will be swept over the edge. .. Puppies piss a lot.
So the downstairs neighbor had good reason to be suspicious due to prior behavior. And it is a good bet that
A) Any water coming down off of her porch is still bringing down residual urine & chlorine that has not fully been washed off yet.
B) Fido is still using the shitting/pissing porch because it has already been established for that use, and it is still a young pup learning to be potty trained.

If Becca had any dog training sense about her, she would be using newspaper, or piss pads until the dog is properly potty trained.
Also, no walkies until the poor laddie's had all of his vaccinations, that's just absurd. Just keep him on a leash where you can see him and he'll be fine.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

We can start with being honest.

As much as things seem in turmoil at the moment - up is not down, nor black is white - and the old political concepts of left and right do still apply. The world seems new because we are viewing it from this vantage point - I'm sure things seemed just has much (if not more) volatile in the early 1900s, or the 1930s or 1940s - or the 1770s or 1810s for that matter.

If Dave Rubin cannot describe his politics beyond vague terms of a New Center ( 'Noose Enter') at the age of 40, despite having graduated with a degree in political science - and having over a year to think about such issues - then he is either a bit dim or disingenuous in what he says.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

deLurch wrote:
wrote: So the downstairs neighbor had good reason to be suspicious due to prior behavior. And it is a good bet that

Must have had all his jabs now .. Lets hope the skank has the sense to pick up his shit.

http://i.imgur.com/WdvIOxk.png

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Keating wrote:I think the point is that we know how to defeat the religious right. Understanding how to defeat the po-mo inspired regressive left is not obvious and a bigger problem.
First off, like any virus, this mind virus is impossible to beat back until a host group has been infected so that it can begin to understand what is so horrible about it. Only then can they build up immunities.

Let's be honest. They start off with great stuff we all agree with. Equality. Racism is bad. Respect for women. Treating people kindly. Doing small things to make people feel better. But then they fangs start to come out with purity tests. Finding out that their version if equality really isn't all that equal. Finding out the simple rules they want applied turn into battering rams to be used only against people they don't like. Finding out that they have their own Scientology styled special definitions for common everyday words so we are not really talking about the same thing. Discovering their hypocrisy and selfish selective application of their rules so that it only benefits themselves.

I think the election of Trump at least in the US is a strong sign that we may have hit the peek level of the SJW infection. At least half the voting public was pissed off at them enough to vote in a complete jack ass into office in order to keep their panders out of the seat of power.

From here we continue to:
1) Laugh & make jokes about them. We know that arguing with them is completely ineffective. But jokes convey information and understanding of their weakest points. Plus it causes them to behave even worse in front of the undecided.
2) Support people and outlets speaking out against their bullshit. It is sad that MSM is taking a major hit out of this. But MSM has kind of dug their own grave by pandering to them so much. I hope they learn their lesson and go back to their traditional reporting level of ethics. But if not, hopefully we can encourage some of the budding competition to grow, develop and take their place.
3) Start publicly speaking out ourselves. The public is becoming more and more wary of slanderous accusations of "Racist" "Misogynist" "Rapist" "Rape apologists" "Hater of women" "Nazi" "White supremacist" and "apologist" for all of the above so much so that people are ceasing to take such accusations seriously. The public got over the "Think of the Children" excuse used to batter opponents into submission. The more people that step forward, the more fear that is removed from the equation. The SJWs are not really that large. They are just extremely vocal. People just need to know that they are not outnumbered with they oppose SJWs.

We beat back McCarthyism once. The US can do it again.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Does it take an oaf to break the eggs to make the omelette? Or is that a different oeuvre?
Nah, you can't make an omelette without breaking oafs. Out-manoeuvred by Clemenceau!

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

MarcusAu wrote:We can start with being honest.

As much as things seem in turmoil at the moment - up is not down, nor black is white - and the old political concepts of left and right do still apply. The world seems new because we are viewing it from this vantage point - I'm sure things seemed just has much (if not more) volatile in the early 1900s, or the 1930s or 1940s - or the 1770s or 1810s for that matter.
I disagree that the old political concepts of left and right still apply. I think that they are changing. To be honest, they have always been in flux. There was a time that Republicans were the primary fighters against racism & slavery, and the Democrats were ferociously fighting for it. Political positions and values do change.

Trump recently had a major GOP convention applauding his vow to protect gays & lesbians.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump ... le/2597360

The GOP is now being viewed as being the primary party that cares about the working class, no longer the Democrats. Trump is fighting for their jobs and keeping them in the countries.

Most of the population is down with gay marriage. I think the GOP is at the tipping point of accepting gay people. They need the votes.

Another significant shit has occurred. The centrists are fleeing the craziness of the Democrats. The centrists had been taken for granite. As they walk across the political aisle, I think they will have a significant stabilizing affect on the Republicans shifting them to be more centrists themselves. I think the centrists had that affect on spendthrift democrats when they were favored.

Some strips on the Republican party are not changing any time soon, such as the anti-abortion stance.

But with Trump elected, this is probably the first time in a long time that either political party actually gave a shit about enforcing our illegal immigration laws. I think this drove many citizens nuts. The US has a legal path to citizenship and immigration.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

tl;dr - political change is constantly occurring. I believe that with the election of Trump, that at least the Republican party will be in an period of accelerated change. I hope that will be true of the Democrats too, for the positive. But the fleeing of the centrists may help explain why they keep on acting crazier and crazier.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

As someone who promoted the game star citizen on these forums, I am now bound to advise you, if i caused you to buy, to get out, get out now. Don't pause, get the fuck out while there's still some money left.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

deLurch wrote:
Keating wrote:I think the point is that we know how to defeat the religious right. Understanding how to defeat the po-mo inspired regressive left is not obvious and a bigger problem.
First off, like any virus, this mind virus is impossible to beat back until a host group has been infected so that it can begin to understand what is so horrible about it. Only then can they build up immunities.

Let's be honest. They start off with great stuff we all agree with. Equality. Racism is bad. Respect for women. Treating people kindly. Doing small things to make people feel better. But then they fangs start to come out with purity tests. Finding out that their version if equality really isn't all that equal. Finding out the simple rules they want applied turn into battering rams to be used only against people they don't like. Finding out that they have their own Scientology styled special definitions for common everyday words so we are not really talking about the same thing. Discovering their hypocrisy and selfish selective application of their rules so that it only benefits themselves.

I think the election of Trump at least in the US is a strong sign that we may have hit the peek level of the SJW infection. At least half the voting public was pissed off at them enough to vote in a complete jack ass into office in order to keep their panders out of the seat of power.

From here we continue to:
1) Laugh & make jokes about them. We know that arguing with them is completely ineffective. But jokes convey information and understanding of their weakest points. Plus it causes them to behave even worse in front of the undecided.
2) Support people and outlets speaking out against their bullshit. It is sad that MSM is taking a major hit out of this. But MSM has kind of dug their own grave by pandering to them so much. I hope they learn their lesson and go back to their traditional reporting level of ethics. But if not, hopefully we can encourage some of the budding competition to grow, develop and take their place.
3) Start publicly speaking out ourselves. The public is becoming more and more wary of slanderous accusations of "Racist" "Misogynist" "Rapist" "Rape apologists" "Hater of women" "Nazi" "White supremacist" and "apologist" for all of the above so much so that people are ceasing to take such accusations seriously. The public got over the "Think of the Children" excuse used to batter opponents into submission. The more people that step forward, the more fear that is removed from the equation. The SJWs are not really that large. They are just extremely vocal. People just need to know that they are not outnumbered with they oppose SJWs.

We beat back McCarthyism once. The US can do it again.
4) Present a real alternative. Like you said, I think that list of things you mentioned sound good to a whole lot of people (including myself), the question is if authoritarian identitarianism actually gets us there, which I think it does not. Because it demands to change and then uphold strict identity-based hierarchies, it's seen as an abject threat to a lot of people, which demands a response, which pushes people away from it. And not in no small measure..

The alternative, is the concept that we all should be seen as unique individuals, from birth with our genetic and hormone makeup, with unique strengths, weaknesses, wants, goals, dreams, etc. and our society should strive to cultivate that diversity, within reason. This individualism or egalitarianism or whatever you want to call it, needs to be actively promoted as an alternative to collectivism.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

@za-zen, what went wrong? Did it turn pay-to-win?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/getting-started

John D

Post by John D »

Brive1987 wrote:
deLurch wrote:

I am very happy with taking him outside and at night I all hail the 2m x 2m sheet of lino flooring bought from Bunnings on which his exercise pen sits.

I can understand her using the balcony but not once she figures that the piss has to go somewhere and that somewhere is her neighbour's "yard". Her reaction demonstrates why she is a horrible human being.

In all honesty I can't understand why you would try and train a puppy in a carpeted non ground floor unit. There's plenty of adult rescue dogs, though you'd have to forgo the puppy cred. Then again it's not like she has anything to do other than traipse up and down the stairs every hour on the hour.
Becci proves over and over that she is a selfish nit-wit. A few things are obvious in my opinion.

1) She has little experience with dogs
2) She wanted a puppy because she thinks puppies are cute
3) She created a poor plan to train the puppy. Her plan is guaranteed to result in smelly urine all over her apartment, her porch, and her neighbor's porch.
4) She has no respect for the privacy of her neighbor and does not think her dogs piss intrusion is a big deal
5) She virtue signals about how moral she is but makes no attempt to rescue a dog from a shelter where she could be taking a moral high ground on this topic

I gotta say that if I was in an apartment and my neighbor's dog was peeing on the porch above me I would be really upset. Imagine the smell. Some of the piss will get onto the lower porch. It is inevitable. It does not take much dog piss to stink up a small porch and/or fuck up your plants. Of course, it only takes a few drops of bleach to kill your plants.
She really is a spoiled, selfish, crybaby of a human. Really... just terrible.

Of course, while I complain about Becci, I personally know lots of people worse than her. The difference is that the vile people I know don't usually try to tell others how to live and/or how to behave. It is the hypocrisy that really puts her into a specially nasty place.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

OK, here's me doing something I probably should have done ages ago...

I have something to confess. I have't been completely honest with you. I do live in Switzerland, but I'm not ethnically Swiss. Indeed depending on what you consider "white" I'm not ethnically "white", either.

Some of you (Steerzo and Tigzy for example) more or less guessed the truth. I have revealed it via PM to some people here (Couch and gurugeorge among others) and on a Pit hangout to others (comhcinc among them).

I'm an ex-muslim. I was born in Switzerland to ethnically Turkish parents. They weren't very religious but they believed, and I received some parts of a muslim education (I didn't go to a religious school, though, there weren't any in Switzerland when I was a child). I've been an atheist since I was fourteen. Few people know about this. There are risks in openly coming out as an ex muslim atheist, even in Switzerland. Harassment to you and your parents, ostracism, even threats. It's not easy.

After hearing stories and listening to what people say you become, let's say, cautious about sharing this kind of information in public, even in an anonymous form.

But I've recently read this article about the lack of people who are openly ex-muslims and it got me thinking.

I'm now convinced that one of the reasons why the Regressives and the public in general see Islam as a race or an inescapable monolith is that too few ex-muslims make themselves known.

So this is a first step, a passage in a process of becoming acquainted with the idea of letting it all out.

If you have and questions ask away.

Kirbmarc, former muslim, I hate islam and the Regressive Left, out.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Sorry I've not responded to that post containing the death-totals, I had a wee accident and have been very under the weather.

Broken femur
Two broken fingers
Three broken ribs
Heavy concussion

Lesson learned - ropes & carabiners are deceitful bastards.

I'll update/explain the death-total thing when I'm clear-headed again.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

deLurch wrote:@za-zen, what went wrong? Did it turn pay-to-win?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/getting-started
It would take a tome to go through everything, i've been following the whole way through, it hasn't imploded yet, but this summer i believe the risk of heat death has increased to a point where gambling it will all be good and keeping your money in, is epic level stupid. This has the potential to melt the interwebs, and be one of the biggest scandals ever, used to describe bubbles in the same way that tulip mania is used to refer to crazy stock market hype https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

In short, it's years deep in dev, with little to no fundamentals for it. They seem to use the sunk time fallacy to keep people waiting. What that ius is promising the next big feature is just months away, then when the time comes to deliver punting that next great feature that was supposed to arrive to the next greater feature a few months away. People have varying degrees of tolerance for this manipulation, few actually recognise it.

What has happend is that a shitload of people have reached their tipping point with it, and are intimating that if the three patch (no fixed drop date, but it's soon(tm) and going to be amazing!) doesn't deliver, they're out. CIG have been running an active campaign of shadow banning people talking about refunds, and have shills and white knights running around denying they're possible, even happening!

This is why i think the summer is the possible implosion a lot of those holding off to see three will also have set an internal clock ticking, i think it's around summer, then they'll quietly submit refund requests. they are a thing, anyone who knows a fucking thing about consumer law knows they are, and two minutes of google fu shows people getting them every day (there's a slow trickle of exodus from those who've seen the writing on the wall, and are quietly extracting their cash before the run).

The run on the bank. this is self explanatory. Panic, more people run, causing the doors to shut. BOOM.

Think of it like this, guy promises to build a spaceship to take everyone to pluto two years from now. You pull up four years later and ask where's the spaceship, he tells you he's still working out whether it will be propelled by solar farts, or the new popcorn he's inventing, then takes you on a tour of the seats he's had built for the ship. You ask him what's the hold up and he explains instaed of selling 50 tickets he sold a thousand so he's had to make his spaceship bigger, but don't worry it will be ready to launch in six months. you ask to see the ship blueprints, and he takes you to his colouring book where's he's drawn it in different colours and asks you which one you'd like.

Get out, get out now.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

feathers wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:http://i.imgur.com/wQprB6p.png
I'll take it up for her for once, there are of course horror neighbours like that.

I'm a bit hard pressed to see how a puppy could produce so much piss it drips down a balcony, namely.
Rebeckunt is deliberately storing the dog's piss, and then going down and pouring it on her property. At least, that is what I (want to) believe.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Kirbmarc wrote:I see this differently. The objective to me ways never to be abstractly "open minded". It was
to defeat the Regressive Left, the identitarians, the Po-mo squad and go back to sanity. I don't care very much about labels (right wing, left wing). I care about rationality and evidence.
Indeed.

We know all about the woo and insanity from the right. In fact, we expect it from them, and there is a well-established media and academic network that devotes a lot of intellectual and physical effort in combating/mocking them. However, we have seen the rise of the regressive left with their insane post-modern neo-Marxist claptrap (whatever label you want to to put on it) and it needs to be challenged by those in the centre, and even intellectually honest lefties. If that means going all Chomsky (criticising your own side), then so be it. The regressive left are protected by the online media, have utmost power in academia, don't have powerful and influential groups calling their insanity out, etc.

Rubin doesn't need to criticise the right. Loads of people do that already. When nobody, or very few people with platforms are speaking out against the regressive left, it is up to people like Rubin to do it.

As I said, it Rubin was more confrontational, the same people would still moan about him. The regressive left are shit-scared to be interviewed on his show as it is, softballs and all. Imagine what there reaction would be if Rubin was more Paxman-like? They run a mile. The reason regressives avoid Rubin is because their stupid and unscientific nonsense collapses under the softest scrutiny.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Kirbmarc - I can forgive almost anything - but culturally appropriating a British icon for your avatar is taking things too far.

I've always had a bit of admiration for ex-muslim atheists - they seem a very stubborn and clear thinking set (Hitchenseque if you would) - so I'm sure you will fit in well amoungst them.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Hunt wrote:POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT....

Just watched Arrival. Meh, a little too much estrogen vibe. Not enough swinging dicks.

But if I can be serious for a moment, learning a universal language enables you to see the future?

You know how the aliens "communicate" using "ink" from their tentacles/appendages????

Well, a little birdy told me that once PZ heard about this, he went to the cinema with FIVE boxes of Kleenex!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bhurzum wrote:Sorry I've not responded to that post containing the death-totals, I had a wee accident and have been very under the weather.

Broken femur
Two broken fingers
Three broken ribs
Heavy concussion

Now that's good wanking!

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Kirbmarc wrote:OK, here's me doing something I probably should have done ages ago...

I have something to confess. I have't been completely honest with you. I do live in Switzerland, but I'm not ethnically Swiss. Indeed depending on what you consider "white" I'm not ethnically "white", either.

Some of you (Steerzo and Tigzy for example) more or less guessed the truth. I have revealed it via PM to some people here (Couch and gurugeorge among others) and on a Pit hangout to others (comhcinc among them).

I'm an ex-muslim. I was born in Switzerland to ethnically Turkish parents. They weren't very religious but they believed, and I received some parts of a muslim education (I didn't go to a religious school, though, there weren't any in Switzerland when I was a child). I've been an atheist since I was fourteen. Few people know about this. There are risks in openly coming out as an ex muslim atheist, even in Switzerland. Harassment to you and your parents, ostracism, even threats. It's not easy.

After hearing stories and listening to what people say you become, let's say, cautious about sharing this kind of information in public, even in an anonymous form.

But I've recently read this article about the lack of people who are openly ex-muslims and it got me thinking.

I'm now convinced that one of the reasons why the Regressives and the public in general see Islam as a race or an inescapable monolith is that too few ex-muslims make themselves known.

So this is a first step, a passage in a process of becoming acquainted with the idea of letting it all out.

I've always enjoyed your analyses, but didn't necessarily click to your lived experience behind some of them. I assumed, from your forehead, that you were probably more Italian Swiss than German Swiss, though.

I have a number of Indonesian friends raging from pious, through practising but non observant, to effectively atheist but cultural, Muslims. Always interesting to talk to, and none see me as kafir.

Anyway, more power to your elbow for coming out to this bunch of reprobates.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Bhurzum wrote:Sorry I've not responded to that post containing the death-totals, I had a wee accident and have been very under the weather.

Broken femur
Two broken fingers
Three broken ribs
Heavy concussion

Holy shit dude, that sound painful. Wish you a quick recovery and hope they give you good drugs.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Lsuoma wrote:

Broken femur
Two broken fingers
Three broken ribs
Heavy concussion

Now that's good wanking!

Ya might be interested in taking a peek at the star citizen shit you N.korean scumbag, as Amazon are involved now to an unconfirmed degree. Some say it's just a networking agreement, others say they're coming in as a publisher (rumor rumor).

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Yep. Apart from your joke, I agree. And it's a shame because about 85 to 90 percent of the movie is very good. But that precognition stuff killed the mood for me.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Kirbmarc wrote:OK, here's me doing something I probably should have done ages ago...

The Southern Poverty Law Center just listed you as an anti-muslim extremist.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

Yep. Apart from your joke, I agree. And it's a shame because about 85 to 90 percent of the movie is very good. But that precognition stuff killed the mood for me.
I thought it made for an interesting twist in a ponderously slow movie. I was already familiar with Sapir-Whorf though from my school daze so maybe that helped me enjoy the twist more?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Broken femur
Two broken fingers
Three broken ribs
Heavy concussion

Hope you're recovering and properly medicated.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Lsuoma wrote:

Broken femur
Two broken fingers
Three broken ribs
Heavy concussion

Now that's good wanking!
Yeah, and I'm the one prone to accidents, they say...

CaptainFluffyBunny

Well, congrats on coming out, but do be careful.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Broken femur
Two broken fingers
Three broken ribs
Heavy concussion

Now that's good wanking!
Yeah, and I'm the one prone to accidents, they say...
There was some film (with terrible swordplay) wherein a French guy played a Scotsman. Now we have the reverse.

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

Lsuoma wrote:

Broken femur
Two broken fingers
Three broken ribs
Heavy concussion

Now that's good wanking!
I demand a Best Post Evah for the guy with the best pit tits!

Get well Bhurzum. Gravity is a harsh mistress.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm just glad the Bhurzum is still able to twitch at least one body part to work the keyboard.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: There was some film (with terrible swordplay) wherein a French guy played a Scotsman. Now we have the reverse.
Yo tryin' to insult Highlander?!?

Them's fighting words, son!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Kirbmarc - Heh, I think that explains why we only got to see the top of your distinctly steppe-nomadic head in that hangout with Sargon. But still - good luck, dude. Being ex-muslim doesn't seem all that easy, from what I've heard.

In any case, you've put me in the mood for a bevvy.

http://i.imgur.com/rofdLaz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OHI6fXw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sxNJs89.jpg

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Them Belgies are all Frenchies too.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

That's a bombshell. I hope that there aren't any annoying trolls out there that will rib you for being a muslim ex-muslim.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

I enjoyed the process of watching Arrival when I first saw it during its theatrical run, but felt conned at the end, like the plot didn't really make sense. When I rewatched it recently, I confirmed the plot didn't make sense, and really noticed the estrogen vibe this time. There are swinging dicks, but viewed entirely through an estrogen lens: as reflexively, animalistically aggressive and violent, and the movie makes no attempt to provide further context. The false dichotomy ethos of Arrival is that either you approach things the proper way, which is gently, slowly, avoiding judgment and confrontation, or as a barbarian.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Tigzy wrote:@Kirbmarc - Heh, I think that explains why we only got to see the top of your distinctly steppe-nomadic head in that hangout with Sargon. But still - good luck, dude. Being ex-muslim doesn't seem all that easy, from what I've heard.

5158296773_d238b5398f.jpg
(135.87 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Tigzy wrote:@Kirbmarc - Heh, I think that explains why we only got to see the top of your distinctly steppe-nomadic head in that hangout with Sargon. But still - good luck, dude. Being ex-muslim doesn't seem all that easy, from what I've heard.
It ain't easy. It's not a death sentence or anything like that (well, not in Switzerland :lol: ), but if you're open about it (and not just shutting up and not caring about religion) you get backlash and unpleasantness, especially if you don't have friends and contacts outside the "community". Luckily I have friends and acquaintances who aren't so concerned with "the community".

The worst part isn't about the individual people who know you nagging you, though. The worst part is people who don't know you, if your name becomes associated with vocal atheism by some "community leaders". That's the main source of trouble. There are people (not just imams) who have influence and power to police the "community". They compile lists, they send notes, they discuss things. They ARE organized and entrenched and have networks of support. I won't say that they all know each other or a conspiracy but they do consult the same "sources", so to speak.

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/rofdLaz.jpg[/img]

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/OHI6fXw.jpg[/img]

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/sxNJs89.jpg[/img]
Alcohol is great! The cause and solution to all problems. :lol:

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Kudos Kirb, keep it up. :)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:That's a bombshell. I hope that there aren't any annoying trolls out there that will rib you for being a muslim ex-muslim.
I'm used to trolls. I don't care about them. It's other people, people who aren't trolls but are "connected", which I'm a bit more concerned about.

free thoughtpolice

CommanderTuvok wrote:Anyhow, what is the Pit opinion on Maddow's "big tax exclusive". I don't really understand the US tax system, but social media is predictably split. Trumpsters are calling it another "Al Capone's vault" (lol - had to look that up - poor Geraldo!), while some of the left-leaning media seem to think there is something smelly going on.
It doesn't look like there is anything there. Given the timing with the bogus wiretap accusation, healthcare mess, investigation into Bannon committing voter fraud, and what ever else is out there* it wouldn't be surprising if Trump leaked it himself.
*Like what might be on his more recent tax returns.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... ffd4fe3818

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

Have t seen the movie yet but I've read the short story on which it is based and the idea that language determines perception of time is absolutely central to that so I can't blame the movie for not ditching it.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:That's a bombshell. I hope that there aren't any annoying trolls out there that will rib you for being a muslim ex-muslim.
I'm used to trolls. I don't care about them. It's other people, people who aren't trolls but are "connected", which I'm a bit more concerned about.
I think the standing of ex-Muslims (e.g. Nawaz, Ali, etc) is quite high among pitters.

Ive never been religious and I live in the U.K. Being an atheist cost me nothing. I have a lot of respect for those who had to do the hard thinking that brought you here.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Well you have nothing to worry about at the 'pyt.

Bhurzum for instance is so not connected that they have had to wire bits of him back together.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:I think the standing of ex-Muslims (e.g. Nawaz, Ali, etc) is quite high among pitters.

Ive never been religious and I live in the U.K. Being an atheist cost me nothing. I have a lot of respect for those who had to do the hard thinking that brought you here.
Nawaz isn't an ex-muslim though, he's a liberal muslim. He still believes and wants to reform the religion from within. He's a great person with great ideas, and I wish him the best, even though I don't agree with him that "real islam" is about peace. He's one of the people that atheists and skeptics should support, too. If all religious muslims were like him islam would be pretty much inoffensive, more or less like Unitarian Universalism.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Well you have nothing to worry about at the 'pyt.

Bhurzum for instance is so not connected that they have had to wire bits of him back together.
Oh, I know this is a safe space. :lol: I'm planning on doing something more in real life, though. This was a test for me to get it out of my system.

The worst I'm expecting here is Steerzo asking me to piss on the Qu'ran. :lol:

free thoughtpolice

Kirbmarc wrote:
Many years ago, when I had no real idea about what islam was really like I met 2 Moroccans on separate occasions socially, at parties where we were drinking. When I mentioned to them that they had fellow countrymen living nearby, both of them were alarmed and concerned about whether the other was straitlaced. Neither really wanted anything to do with the other in case it somehow would get back to the community that they had gone secular and were mixing with the larger Canadian society.
It was a bit of an eye opener.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

The big snowstorm that seemed at first way weaker than expected went in full force mid day yesterday in my area. Lots of people got stuck in their car on the highway in the middle of nowhere. Most had to spend the night in it. Two were found death this morning :(

On a less depressing note:

Dude, where's my car?

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=596D5CBE

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Many years ago, when I had no real idea about what islam was really like I met 2 Moroccans on separate occasions socially, at parties where we were drinking. When I mentioned to them that they had fellow countrymen living nearby, both of them were alarmed and concerned about whether the other was straitlaced. Neither really wanted anything to do with the other in case it somehow would get back to the community that they had gone secular and were mixing with the larger Canadian society.
It was a bit of an eye opener.
I could tell you stories, but I'd basically doxx myself. Suffice to say that some people in the "communities" are gunning for "heretics".

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Brive1987 wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Dude where is my car? The sequel.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=596F06A5

Its here:

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59620D4F

Same place, last week. We were experiencing an early spring.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=592D1FF4

*Not my car snow bank. I grabbed the picture from a guy i know on Facebook.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

deLurch wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:We can start with being honest.

I disagree that the old political concepts of left and right still apply. I think that they are changing. To be honest, they have always been in flux. There was a time that Republicans were the primary fighters against racism & slavery, and the Democrats were ferociously fighting for it. Political positions and values do change.
Yes, 'left' and 'right' have never had specific, commonly accepted definitions and have always depended on historical context, and so are constantly shifting. For this reason, I find 'left' and 'right' useless for accurately describing political positions, and if forced to go with a bipolar axis, I'll use individualist/collectivist. The only historical definition that makes sense for the right/left spectrum is basing it on whether a position supports or challenges existing social order. Originally, Lockean classical liberalism, which posited the rights of the individual as the central organizing principal of society, was countered to the view that order and tradition were the central organizing principles of society. Despite the fact that classical liberalism was, in modern terms, starkly libertarian, it was the left wing view of its day because it challenged the contemporary established social order. As societies respecting individual rights became the new establishment, later challenges to the social order were inimical to individual liberty and became the new "left wing", which increasingly made individual rights based politics "right wing". The shift we're seeing today is many on the left, who never before thought of left wing politics as anti-individualist, are motivated by identity politics to give a new primacy to individual rights in their political philosophy, and realizing that in the current environment, the natural home for this is on the right.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:I'm an ex-muslim. I was born in Switzerland to ethnically Turkish parents.
Holy crap. So I'm at war with you, says Recipe Turnip Arrogant.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:I'm an ex-muslim. I was born in Switzerland to ethnically Turkish parents.
Holy crap. So I'm at war with you, says Recipe Turnip Arrogant.
Heh. I'm a Swiss citizen, I live in Switzerland, I worked in Switzerland, my allegiance is to Switzerland. Erdogan can go fuck himself, I'm not supporting the country from which my parents are from just because he says so.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Aneris wrote:Kudos Kirb, keep it up. :)
Now shouldn't you confess you're the Lebensborn love child of Adolf and Hermann?

http://denktag2004.denktag-archiv.de/ho ... /Bild5.jpg

CaptainFluffyBunny

pro-boxing-fan wrote:The big snowstorm that seemed at first way weaker than expected went in full force mid day yesterday in my area. Lots of people got stuck in their car on the highway in the middle of nowhere. Most had to spend the night in it. Two were found death this morning :(

On a less depressing note:

Dude, where's my car?

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=596D5CBE
Too much snow. My theory is that if you have to cut holes in ice to go fishing in winter, man was not meant to live there.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:

5158296773_d238b5398f.jpg
[img]http://www.sydenhamriver.on.ca/images/S ... ad.jpg/img]