Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by fuzzy »

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:WTF?

How does UK come within shot of Russia in spending and how does Saudi pull in at number 3?
Because, despite its size and all the posturing by its dictator, Russia is by no means rich.

The Saudis buy F16s to impress their family with at parties, I think.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Mr. Orsum strikes again...

[youtube][/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

feathers wrote:

How does UK come within shot of Russia in spending and how does Saudi pull in at number 3?
Because, despite its size and all the posturing by its dictator, Russia is by no means rich.

The Saudis buy F16s to impress their family with at parties, I think.
So the 10000 tanks poised to strike thru to Brittany and the supporting cloud of PAK FAs are myth eh?

If they didn't have nukes it sounds like we could do a 73 Easting on them.

And by "we" I mean 6 RAR.

:lol:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

[youtube][/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:Mr. Orsum strikes again...

[.youtube][/youtube]
Quite good, quite amusing - and a welcome reason to search for the original.

But curious the extent to which "identity politics" has apparently become the topic du jour. A recent elaboration on the theme by your friend and mine, Paul Joseph Watson: :-)

And just finished wading through [ ;-) ] Kirbmarc's deconstruction of "Miwi Mowgewevsky"'s attempt to lay the blame for the rape and pillage of Donald Trump marching through Georgia, burning Atlanta on the way, [AKA Election 2016] at the doorstep of "identity politics". Fascinating that she had enough self-awareness to realize that that wasn't unheard of in the liberal camp, but not enough to realize that that was a significant contributing factor to that loss.

Curiouser, and curiouser. :-)

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Have you heard about this "oops and ouch" bullshit?

https://www.campuspride.org/resources/ground-rules/
Say OOPS and, or acknowledge when you may unintentionally say something and wish you had not.
Say OUCH when someone’s words or actions may hurt you.
A student has been suspended for uploading this video to Facebook:

[youtube][/youtube]

Unbelievable.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Steersman wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:Mr. Orsum strikes again...

[.youtube][/youtube]
Quite good, quite amusing - and a welcome reason to search for the original.
Yup, Gary Orsum is a pretty funny and talented guy although I'm sure fans of the original might not enjoy his version. Fair play, we all have our sacred cows :D

(I've yet to hear a cover of "Hollow hills" by Bauhuas that didn't make me want to vomit blood!)

If you're into rock music, Gary has some really good tracks on YT:

[youtube][/youtube]

Also, his anti-sjw stuff is well worth a watch.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Forgive me, I feel really conflicted about making and posting this but couldnt resist

http://i.imgur.com/eAiID32.jpg

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

fuzzy wrote:Impressive new robot from Boston Dynamics.
[youtube][/youtube]
Nah, couldn't even go up the stairs.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Cheers to Fuzzy / Bhurzum / IFB for the contributions

https://scottishcomicstudies.files.word ... 06/cam.jpg

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Suet Cardigan wrote: A student has been suspended for uploading this video to Facebook:

[youtube][/youtube]

Unbelievable.
Voltaire, to Rousseau, upon receiving a copy of Rousseau's Social Contract:-

"I have received your new book against the human race, and thank you for it. Never was such a cleverness used in the design of making us all stupid. One longs, in reading your book, to walk on all fours. but as I have lost that habit for more than sixty years, I feel unhappily the impossibility of resuming it."

The Ctrl Left is a project of infantilization.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Let's see if I can do this without fucking up the quotes…
Kirbmarc wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Sweden is fucked, they're accepting child marriage, they're ordering gay people not to upset the muslims, they'll soon have to accept anti-blasphemy laws and dress codes in "muslim zone". If they don't do anything to stop this avalanche of demands for exception to liberal democracy "because muh Moahammed" they'll turn into the Swedish Caliphate in 20 years. And the retarded "feminist" government acts tough with Trump but kneels to lick the boots of all muslim theocracies.
We may be fucked, but I'd prefer to be fucked on factual grounds, thank you very much (don't kink-shame me). As per my previous post, child marriage is still very much illegal, and there is talk of tightening restrictions/controls (as there is every few years, I've never paid enough attention to know if anything ever comes of it).
I've read what you wrote about the case and I can revise my opinion, but I'm not convinced. The part about the child bride being "very entrenched in the culture" is concerning. Would that still be considered relevant in the case of a child being married in a fundamentalist christian cult who was "entrenched in the culture" of the nutty cult?

I think that the ruling is a huge mistake and it opens the Overton window for acceptance of child marriage, as long as the child brides are "entrenched in the culture".
For the record, I'm not arguing that the court made a good decision. Just clarifying that they had specific reasons for reaching the decision they did. And importantly, "being entrenched in the culture" is not the crucial part. "Being entrenched in the culture and likely to be forced to leave the country in the near future" is. The court argued that letting her stay within her community was less bad than taking her away from it temporarily and then having her return to it when it's time to leave the country. Whether that's what's best for her is of course debatable.

It is quite a stretch to say that that opens the window for acceptance of child marriage. A further important point is that this was a decision from the lowest court, which can be (and often is) appealed. It does little to set precedent.
I'm assuming "ordering gay people not to upset the muslims" comes from the incident where a member of an anti-immigration party wanted to arrange a pride parade in a neighborhood with a large Muslim population simply to piss people off. If it had been a genuine pride parade I'd have no issue with it, but this was purely political theater, and as far as I know there were no or few gay people involved.
So what if it was a political provocation? Muslims need no appeasement, no special treatment, if the anti-immigration party wanted to arrange a gay pride parade they should have been free to do so. Muslims need to be pissed off, by appeasing to their easily offended fee-fees instead of teaching them to behave like decent human beings you're surrendering the neighborhood to them.

Again, if someone wanted to organize a pride parade in a very religious christian neighborhood to send a powerful signal, would you dismiss it as "purely political theater"?
No, Muslims do not need or deserve special treatment. And as it happens, in this case they got none. The parade happened. Twice, in fact, 2015 and 2016.

If someone with no connection to HBTQ (or whatever the acronym is these days) issues organized a pride parade in a very religious Christian neighborhood, then I would indeed probably dismiss it as "purely political theater". I'd still defend their right to do it, but that doesn't make it less bloody stupid.
Anit-blasphemy laws, dress codes, Muslim zones… I mean, I can't argue against things that aren't even wrong, so I won't.
Note that I used the future sense. I was making some hyperbolic statements, but if every time there's an issue with islam Sweden is ready to accommodate to the wishes and hurt feelings of the muslims then there'll be shifts in the Overton window. Salafi "community leaders" are very creative about how to subvert misguided feelings of "tolerance" and "political correctness" in their favor.

They likely won't explicitly ask for anti-blasphemy laws (although it hasn't stopped them from trying in the UK), they'll ask for laws against "islamophobia" which will be gradually extended to those who draw Mohammed cartoons, and who "needlessly offend" muslims with "political theater". The same thing will happen with dress codes, they'll start by asking the hyper-politically correct government to "accommodate" for muslim dress codes if they're approved by all the member of the staff of a business in a "muslim community".

Give them time, let them set up their ghettoes and get political representatives and you'll gradually see the development of those "muslim zones".
I did notice the future tense, and I appreciate science fiction as much (honestly, more) as the next guy. But actually living here, I see no plausible way from here to there. It requires such a large number of hypotheticals to line up just so that I don't even know where to begin arguing against these scenarios in any way that's not just me going "nu-uh, that wouldn't happen, no way is Superman beating Batman". It's about as likely as Sweden being taken over by a Nazi regime. I think you're vastly overestimating Muslim political influence in Sweden. These issues are useful to show your political correctness, but that's a far cry from actually doing anything. As with a certain Trump, pay less attention to what politicians say, and more to what they in practice do.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Hey Phil, are you playing at, or attending, Wacken this year? Number one son has his ticket for the festival, and is looking forward to it.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Brianna Wu goes for the Extra terrestrial vote.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

TedDahlberg wrote:For the record, I'm not arguing that the court made a good decision. Just clarifying that they had specific reasons for reaching the decision they did. And importantly, "being entrenched in the culture" is not the crucial part. "Being entrenched in the culture and likely to be forced to leave the country in the near future" is. The court argued that letting her stay within her community was less bad than taking her away from it temporarily and then having her return to it when it's time to leave the country. Whether that's what's best for her is of course debatable.

It is quite a stretch to say that that opens the window for acceptance of child marriage. A further important point is that this was a decision from the lowest court, which can be (and often is) appealed. It does little to set precedent.
OK, I had missed those details, and I've been too hasty in judging the decision on its own. I'm still thinking this was a huge mistake in terms of the message you want to send to the muslim immigrant community.
No, Muslims do not need or deserve special treatment. And as it happens, in this case they got none. The parade happened. Twice, in fact, 2015 and 2016.

If someone with no connection to HBTQ (or whatever the acronym is these days) issues organized a pride parade in a very religious Christian neighborhood, then I would indeed probably dismiss it as "purely political theater". I'd still defend their right to do it, but that doesn't make it less bloody stupid.
Uhm...I remembered that the police ordered the parade to move to a different neighborhood, but I might be wrong. I understand you have better access to me to Swedish media in the original Swedish.

Anyway, it's not stupid. It's sending a message: "Those things happen, learn to deal with them".
I did notice the future tense, and I appreciate science fiction as much (honestly, more) as the next guy. But actually living here, I see no plausible way from here to there. It requires such a large number of hypotheticals to line up just so that I don't even know where to begin arguing against these scenarios in any way that's not just me going "nu-uh, that wouldn't happen, no way is Superman beating Batman". It's about as likely as Sweden being taken over by a Nazi regime. I think you're vastly overestimating Muslim political influence in Sweden. These issues are useful to show your political correctness, but that's a far cry from actually doing anything. As with a certain Trump, pay less attention to what politicians say, and more to what they in practice do.
OK. I admit I might overstate the muslim political influence on Sweden...for now. Let's see what happens in 20 years, if the rates of reproduction and immigration stay the same.

Anyway what politicians say also matters in this context. Coddling muslim "community leaders" is a bad idea in general.

But overall yes, I might have a skewed perspective of Sweden, and I understand that the issues I've talked about sound like comical exaggerations from the perspective of someone who lives there if the reality beyond the political announcements is less lax about enforcing liberal democratic laws in order not to offend "cultural sensibilities". I still think that the Swedish government is far too lenient on islam, but it might be more of a matter of virtue-signalling political correctness about "diversity" rather than giving in to concessions of "community leaders". At least for now.

TL;DR: I'll be more careful about correcting my perspective on Sweden.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Yes Kirbmarc

Please be more sensitive in your portrayals of the Swedish

[youtube][/youtube]

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Kirbmarc wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:A refreshing dose of Vulcan logic. Yeah, Sweden has its problems, a burning desire to be politically correct being quite high on the list. But the mythology that's been building lately is patently ridiculous. It bears as much resemblance to reality as the image of the average American being J.R. Ewing.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that muslim immigrants in Sweden dominate the statics on violent crime? Isn't it true that Malmo has seen its crime statistics skyrocket due to the crime of (mostly muslim) immigrants? Isn't it true that the Swedish government is more concerned with "not pissing off" muslims than with teaching them to accept that they don't own the neighborhood they live, since they don't live in theocratic state? Isn't it true that a member of the Muslim Council in Sweden sent a letter with theocratic demands to all Swedish parties? Isn't it true that Salafi preachers in Sweden are routinely found to preach death against those who insult Mohammed or against LGBT people by journalistic investigations?

Yes, there's some exaggerations, there are conspiracy theories that this is some kind of secret Illuminati plan from the likes of Alex Jones and his ilk (instead of being the natural consequences of not controlling immigration and being way too cozy with "muslim community leaders"), but Sweden does have a problem with muslim immigration, which isn't a surprise since there are now roughly 5-6% of muslims now in Sweden already.
The latest study I could find with a quick search says that 88% of people born abroad are not registered for any crime. The number is 90% for people born in Sweden to foreign parents, 93% for people with one Swedish parent, and 95% for people with two Swedish parents. So people born abroad are 2.5 times as likely to be registered for a crime. To compare, people who have received welfare are 6.1 times more likely to be registered for a crime compared to people who have not; people with less than 3 years of college education are 5.7 times more likely to be registered for a crime than those with more education.

As for violent crime, people born abroad are 3 times as likely to be registered for a violent crime as someone born in Sweden to Swedish parents. In pure numbers though, over the study's five year period that's 100960 violent crimes committed by people born abroad and 184910 violent crimes committed by Swedes born to Swedish parents.

Admittedly these statistics are dated, but they're the best I could find from a reasonably reliable source. But based on the data I can find, no, I wouldn't say that Muslim immigrants dominate the statistics on violent crime. They're over-represented, true, but it seems a reach to say that they're dominating the statistics. They'll have to up their game to do that.

I can't really comment on Malmö except to say that I don't really trust any reporting on the city these days since veryone invovled has an agenda. But I highly doubt that it's a criminal hellhole.

I wish I could say what the Swedish government is concerned with. Staying in power most likely. Which is patently not done by giving in to Muslim interest groups in the current political climate, with the most anti-immigration party getting 16.8% of the vote according to the latest poll, and other parties making noises of being restrictive on immigration.

What members of Muslim interest groups or Muslim preachers do, I pay little attention to I have to admit. To be honest, I have a feeling that most politicians do the same, beyond lip service.

Look, I see where you are coming from. But I am of the opinion that you are overestimating Muslim influence on Swedish politics, and underestimating Swedish resistance to said influence. As a people, we're very good at nodding politely to what you're saying and then doing whatever the hell we were going to do anyway.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

InfraRedBucket wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]
Nah, couldn't even go up the stairs.
Reminds me of the Longshoreman of the Apocalypse:

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/assets/ ... 2BLOTA.jpg

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Kirbmarc wrote:OK. I admit I might overstate the muslim political influence on Sweden...for now. Let's see what happens in 20 years, if the rates of reproduction and immigration stay the same.

Anyway what politicians say also matters in this context. Coddling muslim "community leaders" is a bad idea in general.

But overall yes, I might have a skewed perspective of Sweden, and I understand that the issues I've talked about sound like comical exaggerations from the perspective of someone who lives there if the reality beyond the political announcements is less lax about enforcing liberal democratic laws in order not to offend "cultural sensibilities". I still think that the Swedish government is far too lenient on islam, but it might be more of a matter of virtue-signalling political correctness about "diversity" rather than giving in to concessions of "community leaders". At least for now.

I dearly hope that I'm right and you're wrong, but as you say, only time will tell. I hope I haven't come across as too aggressive here, I do appreciate your perspective. Just trying to provide some more detail that's easily lost in the reporting. I.e., don't give up hope for us yet.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

MarcusAu wrote:Yes Kirbmarc

Please be more sensitive in your portrayals of the Swedish

[youtube][youtube]
I do have an atrocious Swedish accent. Which my (American) wife for some inscrutable reason likes quite a lot, so… :dance:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Anybody recognise the name "Jamie Kilstein"?

I've heard it before in the past, and apparently he was one of those "anti-GamerGate warriors", forever virtue signalling how he hated GamerGaters and how he was such a woke feminist and ally of women, etc.

You would never guess......but sure as the Sun rose this morning......

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

InfraRedBucket wrote:Brianna Wu goes for the Extra terrestrial vote.
I like the combination of overestimating our technological capability with over-complicating the process of chucking space rocks at things.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Anybody recognise the name "Jamie Kilstein"?

I've heard it before in the past, and apparently he was one of those "anti-GamerGate warriors", forever virtue signalling how he hated GamerGaters and how he was such a woke feminist and ally of women, etc.

Wait, is he that utterly unfunny comedian?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Kilstein has been around for a while (though I have not actively been following his career).

He is a stand up comedian - you might want to find a clip where he and Joe Rogan have a sit down discussion about all things SJW (if you can stand the cringe). He has the sort of off-the-rack hipster personality, like Surly Amy - but less masculine.

He was also very much on Team Rebecca against Team Dawkins post Elevatorgate. And worked with her on a 'comedy' audio project at one stage.

Alison Kilkenny was his (former?) partner and they ran the Citizen Radio show together - if you are interested in catching up on the sort of things they like to talk about.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

:nin:

By that fucking cyborg-Swedish-penguin.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

TedDahlberg wrote:
I like the combination of overestimating our technological capability with over-complicating the process of chucking space rocks at things.
That's the plot of The Moon is a Harsh Mistresss.

So SJWs are stealing ideas from Robert A Heinlein now.

Hey, Wu: TANSTAAFL!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm ashamed to say that I thought of Footfall first.

I really need to catch up with my classic SF reading.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

"Listen to us and don't listen to anyone else regarding these allegations"

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

TedDahlberg wrote:
Maybe Wu just read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and thought it was nonfiction.

CaptainFluffyBunny

And ninja'd.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I wonder if Rebeca has anything to say on the Kilstein story.

At this stage I would be inclined to give her a pass - but as she stuck her oar in on the Milo brouhaha - she is clearly not above commenting on these issues when it suits her.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

"I also wanted him to publicly post about ehat he has done and apologize, but he declined to do that"

reddit:
"he has apologized for every single rape on the planet except the ones he's personally committed"

https://i.redd.it/swnsyib71iiy.jpg

reddit: "Anti-wife activist Patton Oswalt taunts victims of the Jamie Kilstein rape spree on twitter"

[youtube][/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

KiwiInOz wrote:The Guardian publishes a beautiful Sokal cum poe article on why internet porn is responsible for Donald Trump.

It's funny how many people didn't read to the end (I almost didn't), because it read like many other spurious SJW articles of late.
The author's book, "The Idiot Brain" is next on my reading list.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

[youtube][/youtube]
Man, in the alternative life in which I took up that offer of an Electronic Engineering/Computing course at Heriot-Watt University, instead of stupidly going to music college and wasting 20 years of my life in pop music and blasting my brain with too many drugs (j/k, had a great time :) ), I would have loved to have gotten into robotics. Working at Boston Dynamics must be one of the funnest jobs on the planet.

Really?

Post by Really? »

We need to make a list of the shithead SJWs who turn out to be massive hypocrites. There are so many!

Maybe Richard Carrier and Jamie Kilstein should go out on tour together.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

gurugeorge wrote:
[youtube.][/youtube]
Man, in the alternative life in which I took up that offer of an Electronic Engineering/Computing course at Heriot-Watt University, instead of stupidly going to music college and wasting 20 years of my life in pop music and blasting my brain with too many drugs (j/k, had a great time :) ), I would have loved to have gotten into robotics. Working at Boston Dynamics must be one of the funnest jobs on the planet.
I feel sorry for the midget.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Really? wrote:We need to make a list of the shithead SJWs who turn out to be massive hypocrites. There are so many!

Wouldn't it be easier to make a list of those that aren't? It would be a lot shorter.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Kilkenny ... Kilstein ... even their fucking names are incitement to murder !

sent from a machine where i've finally figured out how to change the fuckin' sig

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

MarcusAu wrote:I wonder if Rebeca has anything to say on the Kilstein story.

At this stage I would be inclined to give her a pass - but as she stuck her oar in on the Milo brouhaha - she is clearly not above commenting on these issues when it suits her.

You never give that woman a pass. never, ever. :twisted:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Really? wrote:We need to make a list of the shithead SJWs who turn out to be massive hypocrites. There are so many!

The list is even longer than those SJWs who turn out to be [redacted].

:lol:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:

The Saudis buy F16s to impress their family with at parties, I think pay back the American military-economic establishment with petrodollars and help them enforce the petro-dollar system. Bonus: bombing Yemen.
FTFY.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Remember that one time that the skeptic community almost got to see Kilstein live, but muh veganism?

https://skepticon.org/spiffy-speaker-sp ... -kilstein/

Dodged a bullet there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

MarcusAu wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:
[youtube.][/youtube]
I feel sorry for the midget.
There must be more than one of the poor bastards - there are a few vids where there are several BD robots on screen at the same time :(

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

shoutinghorse wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:I wonder if Rebeca has anything to say on the Kilstein story.

You never give that woman a pass. never, ever. :twisted:

I was kinda hoping for her to slide into obscurity.

Quiet obscurity, I mean. And yes it would be a short slide.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

MSNBC lets slip the truth:-

[youtube][/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

TedDahlberg wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:OK. I admit I might overstate the muslim political influence on Sweden...for now. Let's see what happens in 20 years, if the rates of reproduction and immigration stay the same.

I dearly hope that I'm right and you're wrong, but as you say, only time will tell. I hope I haven't come across as too aggressive here, I do appreciate your perspective. Just trying to provide some more detail that's easily lost in the reporting. I.e., don't give up hope for us yet.
No prob. I'm not triggered. :lol: I don't mind aggressiveness in internet debates as long as it's backed up by arguments which make sense. And yours did.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Dont mourn the loss of Jamie Kilstein. We can Jurassic Park him.

By simply kidnapping Steve Shives, scribbling on him with a tattoo gun like a dead-drunk fratboy at a Sharpie factory, and clockwork-orangeing his heroin-nod vocal upspeak via marathon exposure to Rebecca Watson videos...

Frankilstein 2.0b (still Beta) will be born! Behold... It Liiiives...

[youtube][/youtube]

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

piginthecity wrote:Kilkenny ... Kilstein ... even their fucking names are incitement to murder !

I could never watch more than 30 seconds of it without turning off (seriously) but I believe
there may be a mildly amusing Youth Culture reference in there somewhere.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff10 ... thpark.jpg

This on the other hand, is more watchable

http://i.imgur.com/UFiC6uf.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Service Dog wrote:Scroll-up & re-read your own "most generic definition of feminism". It explicitly specifies only women's rights, not a peep about anyone-else. Even genocidal lesbian seperatists fit that bill. I added no layers. Layers would have to be added, to include anyone else. Even the usual 'dictionary feminist' definition gives a nod to equal-to-men. But your definition more accurately reflects the applied history of feminism: a wildly successful lobby to obtain benefits for women regardless of lack.
If I say that "atheism is only the lack of belief in god" I'm not excluding many SJWs, either, but would you refuse to call yourself an atheist just because they call themselves atheists, too?

Look, I'm not married with the word "feminist" to express the idea that women have human rights. Do you prefer to call it "women's right activism" to have a counterpart to "men's right activism"? The point is that there are places in the world where women are treated like slaves. Men who aren't part of the "right" side are killed in those places, yes, but being a slave isn't much better than getting killed. Also there are places where women can't vote or drive or leave the house without a veil on their heads or work with men or exercise their rights for a due process. Those things aren't "privileges" to women. It's not just women who suffer in those places, but they do.

Human rights are equal for all human beings or all bullshit.
This strikes me as similar to me criticizing a religious person for not abiding by the professed tenets of their faith-- & them attempting to claim atheism is a religion too & Im not a devout atheist. For me to slacktivist-ish-ly reject the religion called Feminism IS sufficient. The burden is on feminism to actually deliver on their utopian promises.
I don't believe in utopian promises, either. I'd say that in liberal democracies pretty much all the work for women's rights and issues is already done, and as gurugeorge said we only need to be "night watchmen" to women's rights and issues, and correct instead the issues with men's rights and issues.
You're just repeating the incongruency I initially pointed-out: when feminists are in the hot seat you're careful to specify radfems. When islam is in the hot seat-- you're ok with broadbrushing 'muslims'... you didnt specify Salafis. I can understand using both broad brushes, or both narrow terms... but it looks like a double-standard when you speak broadly in one case & narrowly in the other.
There's a difference though. Feminism has no holy book, islam has one (more than one actually, depending on which sect you're talking about). Salafis are simply Qu'ran literalists which also have a list of other ahadit to be considered literally true.

I sometimes use Salafi, sometimes "muslims" because most muslims DO believe that the Qu'ran is literally true, they simply refuse to enact what's written because of various reasons. The Qu'ran is a vile book so if muslims do enact what's written in it, instead of just paying lip service to it, they're doing horrible things.

There's a minority of muslims which not only do not act based on what's written in the Qu'ran but interpret it non-literally. A part of this minority (not all of them though) interpret the Qu'ran non-literally in a way that it's compatible with liberal democratic values. They're the ones who should dominate the discourse on islam, sadly they're a tiny minority. When I write "muslims believe" it should read "most muslims, excluding those who do not interpret the Qu'ran literally, believe". If you have a good idea for a short word which means "the vast majority of muslims which are literalists", let me know.

It's different with feminists. All kinds of people call themselves feminists. Dawkins called himself a feminist, Hoff Sommers calls herself a feminist. There's no holy book of feminism to interpret, literally or otherwise. So I'm more specific about which groups are responsible for which thing they say or do. As I say I'm not attached to the word "feminist" to describe a rational and healthy interest in preserving or upholding women's rights when they're violated, without forgetting the rights of other people who are also violated. I've proposed "women's right activism". Do you have any other idea?

Really?

Post by Really? »

THE KING weighs in:

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

gurugeorge wrote:MSNBC lets slip the truth:-

[youtube][/youtube]

MSNBC? Dont believe it til I've heard it on Fox News

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Really? wrote:THE KING weighs in:
Why are they all so obsessed with Rebecca Watson?

http://www.betches.com/sites/default/fi ... erflav.gif

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Sargon of Akkad started a campaign called #GasTheJokes, in defense of offensive humor as free speech, which involves signing a petition-thingie using an app called Thunderclap-- which coordinates the thousands of signers' twitter accounts to all send a simultaneous mass-tweet.

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/53461-listen-to-us

I don't know whether Sargon pre-meditated #GasTheJokes to-be a trojan horse-- exposing how twitter (& social media platforms such as facebook) intentionally lose badwrongfun doubleplusungood crimethink unpersons' opinions in-transit, to tamper with equal public access to information (oopsie! ouch!).

But Sargon continues his recent streak of excellent reporting on corporate sjw censorship:

[youtube][/youtube]

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Suet Cardigan wrote:Have you heard about this "oops and ouch" bullshit?

https://www.campuspride.org/resources/ground-rules/
Say OOPS and, or acknowledge when you may unintentionally say something and wish you had not.
Say OUCH when someone’s words or actions may hurt you.
A student has been suspended for uploading this video to Facebook:

[youtube][/youtube]

Unbelievable.

A handful of years ago, I attended a game-design convention-- boardgames, card games, pen&paper rpgs.

The convention was specifically for "indie" creators, punky, DIY, davidVS.goliaths. But rather than championing the upstart vulnerable littleguy... from being crushed by dumb herds, angry mobs, and sinister monopolies... the speaker panels were loaded with feminist & sjw topics & talkers... who scolded the creators their power + prejudice + privilege, unconscious bias, entitlement, misogyny, rape culture... as if these autistic basement-nerds were mighty dictators. Rather than rage-against the corporate establishment, panel speakers proudly cited their corporate HR experience as evidence of their expertise & glibly espoused a cautious "safe for work" lawsuit-liability approach as best for the one-man start-ups.

A well-intentioned sjw-leaning friend of mine (who simultaneously felt conflicted by his awareness of how sjw moral panics could divide a local gaming-hobby community) tried to instill some limit on sjw over-reach. In a morning panel, he expounded on the difference between "I am offended by this" vs. "I am hurt by this." The former being trivial & the offended-person's own inner problem, vs. the latter being actual external harm being done to the victim.

The same afternoon, other sjw panelists were citing my friend's presentation. Except they had interpreted his wisdom differently than he had intended. Their version was, "Stop SAYING 'I'm offended by this', SAY "I'm hurt by this." That-way bystanders & authorities can't dismiss you being offended as harmless, or not-their-problem-to-fix.

This OOPS/OUCH thing is similar. "Ouch" is what we say when we are actually physically harmed. "Oops" assigns external blame.

I would require the "ouch" person to say "my butt hurts" instead.

And the vocabulary should also include a "meh." DGAF shrug. And a suicide-pistol in my mouth gesture.

And many other IRL smilies...

[youtube][/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Service Dog wrote:Sargon of Akkad started a campaign called #GasTheJokes, in defense of offensive humor as free speech, which involves signing a petition-thingie using an app called Thunderclap-- which coordinates the thousands of signers' twitter accounts to all send a simultaneous mass-tweet.

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/53461-listen-to-us

I don't know whether Sargon pre-meditated #GasTheJokes to-be a trojan horse-- exposing how twitter (& social media platforms such as facebook) intentionally lose badwrongfun doubleplusungood crimethink unpersons' opinions in-transit, to tamper with equal public access to information (oopsie! ouch!).

But Sargon continues his recent streak of excellent reporting on corporate sjw censorship:

[.youtube][/youtube]
Yep. Good video. I think Sargon is improving recently, by focusing on lies and distortions in the media and potentially censorious tactics in the social media. He's found his niche.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »