No it's not!
First there is a mountain.

Then there is no mountain.

Then there is...
Fucking hippie.

jimthepleb

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by jimthepleb »

MarcusAu wrote:It doesn't sound that much different than the radfem political lesbians of the 70's and 80's.

They just seemed to peter out on their own and the world moved on.
When I get my Peter out, the earth moves... Is this what you mean?
I'm good btw nice to see y'all again. Very very busy building up a landscaping business with my brother. Going very well so far and far more fun than it sounds. Although cashflow is a constant concern.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:It doesn't sound that much different than the radfem political lesbians of the 70's and 80's.

They just seemed to peter out on their own and the world moved on.
So a movement based on excluding anyone they didn't like from society didn't enjoy a lot of success in a society where they're not the majority? I'm shocked, shocked!

It turns out that those radfem lesbians didn't understand simple math.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

jimthepleb wrote: When I get my Peter out, the earth moves... Is this what you mean?
I'm good btw nice to see y'all again. Very very busy building up a landscaping business with my brother. Going very well so far and far more fun than it sounds. Although cashflow is a constant concern.
I'm sure you both have a high Capability.

Good Luck on the Ha Ha.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Is good grammar be racist so much? Spelling, grammar bad!
https://heatst.com/culture-wars/univers ... nd-unjust/

feathers

Post by feathers »

jimthepleb wrote:I'm good btw nice to see y'all again. Very very busy building up a landscaping business with my brother.
Would that be in Syria perchance?

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpspro ... 766073.jpg

Very original design, indeed.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Is good grammar be racist so much? Spelling, grammar bad!
The real issue in this case isn't "racism" but the purpose of education. Is education supposed to teach pupils skills they might find useful in the job market or in society at large or is it supposed to be centered on the pupil's own cultural or familiar background and identity?

There's nothing linguistically "superior" in a standard form of a language. From a purely linguistic point of view the Southern dialects of English in the US or the sets of dialects which form African American Vernacular English are exactly as valid as communication tools among their speakers as the "standard" form of American English.

However, from a pragmatic point of view being able to communicate in a standard form of the language which is easily understandable by others and can adapt to different contexts and registers is a very useful life skill. Formal grammar and spelling are part of the standard.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Which is why genocide against the Scots cannot come soon enough.

CaptainFluffyBunny

MarcusAu wrote:Which is why genocide against the Scots cannot come soon enough.
Make firearms readily available to them, and they'll sort themselves out in a week or two. :whistle:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

screwtape wrote: ....today I realised that second wavers wanted equality of opportunity, and the third wave feminists are all about equality of outcome....
I can sorta-buy an argument-- that some 2nd wave feminists favored equality of Opportunity-- because they assumed it would automatically result in equal Outcomes. But when the outcome didn't manifest fast-enough to suit them-- feminists changed their tune & explicitly advocated for Outcome. But that's a flimsy form of opportunity/democracy/sportsmanship/fairness: We're In Favor Of It! (Unless It Doesn't Go Our Way/ Then We'll Oppose It).

The reason I bolded the word "some" above, is that it's clear other 2nd wave feminists were already all-abord the Outcomes train:

JFK's "Presidential Commission on the Status of Women" was designed to placate those concerned about women/ but not irritate that constituency by supporting ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. Why were 1964 feminists against ERA? Because the left feared that legislating equality of rights (opportunity) would prevent preferential affirmative action legislation for women-- aka, equality of outcome.

Wikipedia sez the years prior to 1964 were also about handicapping the race, in favor of women:
Legislation related to women in the workplace up to this time had usually taken the form of protective legislation. Protective legislation advocated gender-based workplace restrictions specifically for women on the belief that their biological differences needed to be accommodated in the workplace. Supported by many 19th and early 20th century progressives including some we would now call feminists (difference feminists), protective legislation was supposed to help working women avoid workplace injury and exploitation. However, more often, protective legislation just provided employers with the justification to avoid hiring women altogether or to not pay them the same wages as men received. If women needed so many accommodations in the workplace, it was subsequently easier and cheaper for employers to only hire men.

Until the 1970s, trade unions/organized labor opposed the Equal Rights Amendment (which would have prevented laws holding different standards for men and women).
Likewise, the wording of the 1963 Equal Pay Act sounds like equality of Opportunity talk, but it was slathered in Outcome-butter:
"The Supreme Court has expressly recognized the view that the [Act] must be broadly construed to achieve Congress’ goal of remedying sexual discrimination. Congress passed the [Act] out of "concern for the weaker bargaining position of women"
https://i.imgflip.com/1k7ew2.jpg

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/fol ... 407733.jpg

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Quick someone poison the porridge.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I'm sorry I don't speak Porridge-Goblin.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

shoutinghorse wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:http.s://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_rXWPdKQD_o&ebc=ANyPxKq5eo8e8re3pAkRrwk55gdwsuXryYUKwUCpoHi0CySOxlxKu1jNp9NS1-0BbIuMtdrAsD0v

Watson's secret blog where she assigns Milo Nazi status and then gloats over his book loss.

She also displays the green swampy mess on her arm and boasts of getting an entire HGTTU graphic novel etched onto her hide.

2:38 for the Picasso reveal.

The sad fuck only has 12 views. Give her a thrill.

http://i.imgur.com/hBWcgmH.jpg

I bet "S" and "A" are ever so relieved they never had kids with this fucking harpy. The very definition of Child neglect would be putting this cunt in charge of a minor, her treatment of 'Indy' is borderline animal cruelty.

You're a star Brive for bringing us these private vids. ... Soooo Ya!
It's important to expose Watson to sunlight; ignoring feminazis never works.

Or so I have been told.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Service Dog wrote:I can sorta-buy an argument-- that some 2nd wave feminists favored equality of Opportunity-- because they assumed it would automatically result in equal Outcomes. But when the outcome didn't manifest fast-enough to suit them-- feminists changed their tune & explicitly advocated for Outcome. But that's a flimsy form of opportunity/democracy/sportsmanship/fairness: We're In Favor Of It! (Unless It Doesn't Go Our Way/ Then We'll Oppose It).
The Feminism I wholeheartedly admire is the working class Feminism of the 1960s, the Feminism of Made in Dagenham. That was the sweet spot of Feminism, when they were fighting for a righteous cause (equal pay for equal work).

Which they achieved.

Which is one of the many things that makes modern-day Feminism so sickening. It's a curious irony that in order to hype up nonsense and fluff to monumental proportions, modern Feminists thereby diss the achievements of honest-to-goodness women of the past who were fighting for something real - as if nothing had happened, as if nothing had been achieved by past generations of Feminists, and we were still stuck on some sort of 1950s treadmill.

(Not saying there isn't any exploitation at all these days, but it's minimal and mostly sort of "in the cracks" now, in dim and dingy corners of society - but of course the extraction process provides insufficient opportunities for graft, so everyone has to assume the emergency posture.)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Now Alyssa, that I can accept as gender cos play

http://i.imgur.com/iFh8SFA.jpg

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Suet Cardigan wrote:How Google is fighting the war on internet trolls:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/how-googl ... 48658.html
The internet can be a harsh place. It seems like for every feel-good story or picture of a puppy playing with a kitten, there are 1,000 trolls rummaging through the depths of their minds to post the most vile comments they can imagine. And if you’re a woman or person of color, well, multiply that troll army by 10.
Click on the link and you're taken to a Pew Research Centre report on online harassment:

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/o ... arassment/

Which says:
Overall, men are somewhat more likely than women to experience at least one of the elements of online harassment
Do these people think we're fucking stupid? Do they think we won't bother to read the reports they link to in their own fucking articles?
Actually, Yes, they do. I suspect that if it confirms to most people's biases, they will see the link as confirmation without checking it out themselves. They probably never read the link either. Look at our own steersbot. How often does he read the links he gives, or understands them? I suspect the same with a lot of people.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Kirbmarc wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Is good grammar be racist so much? Spelling, grammar bad!
The real issue in this case isn't "racism" but the purpose of education. Is education supposed to teach pupils skills they might find useful in the job market or in society at large or is it supposed to be centered on the pupil's own cultural or familiar background and identity?

There's nothing linguistically "superior" in a standard form of a language. From a purely linguistic point of view the Southern dialects of English in the US or the sets of dialects which form African American Vernacular English are exactly as valid as communication tools among their speakers as the "standard" form of American English.

However, from a pragmatic point of view being able to communicate in a standard form of the language which is easily understandable by others and can adapt to different contexts and registers is a very useful life skill. Formal grammar and spelling are part of the standard.
Yeah. You might be understood by your peers in your region (where the dialect is spoken), but if you want to communicate beyond your enclave, or get a job where your dialect is not spoken exclusively, especially any kind of higher-paying business jobs, you're going to be in trouble. I'm surprised that more of the states-rights crowd isn't embracing this - after all it affects their dialects as well. Probably the whole white=bad thing.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

gurugeorge wrote:The Feminism I wholeheartedly admire is the working class Feminism of the 1960s, the Feminism of Made in Dagenham. That was the sweet spot of Feminism, when they were fighting for a righteous cause (equal pay for equal work).

Which they achieved.

Which is one of the many things that makes modern-day Feminism so sickening. It's a curious irony that in order to hype up nonsense and fluff to monumental proportions, modern Feminists thereby diss the achievements of honest-to-goodness women of the past who were fighting for something real - as if nothing had happened, as if nothing had been achieved by past generations of Feminists, and we were still stuck on some sort of 1950s treadmill.

(Not saying there isn't any exploitation at all these days, but it's minimal and mostly sort of "in the cracks" now, in dim and dingy corners of society - but of course the extraction process provides insufficient opportunities for graft, so everyone has to assume the emergency posture.)
The biggest problem with modern feminism is that it's yet another identity groupthinking machine. There's nothing wrong with fighting for a specific issue of injustice in order to achieve equality rights or equal pay, or to get people back on their feet, to avoid trapping people in poverty or even to tackle a specific economic barrier to access to some jobs or university. Hell, I'd say that all of this "piecemeal social engineering" (discussed, evaluated, checked for results) is required for a liberal democracy to function.

But when you start preaching things like "the liberation of women as a class" when you're no longer fighting for the specific rights of individuals but for mass "reparations", to "end masculinity and Patriarchy" and all those other identity policies you're denying individuality, you're creating a system of broad assumptions which go against the anti-identitarian nature of individual rights.

The same thing is true for all the other facets of "social justice". Fighting against a specific issue by trying different approaches to allow people to succeed and/or to reduce pointless suffering (key word being pointless) due to extreme lack of income or to access to the bare minimum of modern society (decent housing, education, healthcare, etc.) is what you need. Declaring the "liberation of the X group" or the "end of the Cis Hetero White Male" is what you really don't need.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Kirbmarc wrote:
The biggest problem with modern feminism is that it's yet another identity groupthinking machine.

Those pesky rationalisation enginesat work again.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Speaking of rationalisation engines:

https://psmag.com/on-the-milo-bus-with- ... .ax8s08miw
The Lost Boys were never the new punk. They were never the suave and seductive blackshirts of the new American authoritarianism. They are, at best, the brownshirts, and they are becoming less useful to their benefactors by the day.
There is a distinct whiff of concern-troll triumphalism in this. I think Penny makes a few accurate observations, but every time she comes close to realising the alienated young men she is criticising are basically victims, she remembers that she hates men and everything it their fault.
Not exaggerating.

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

UK people, Channel 4 is showing "Has political correctness gone mad?". Did silencing the dissent give rise to Trump and Brexit? Trevor Philips seems to be saying all the right things....

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Kirbmarc wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:The Feminism I wholeheartedly admire is the working class Feminism of the 1960s, the Feminism of Made in Dagenham. That was the sweet spot of Feminism, when they were fighting for a righteous cause (equal pay for equal work).

Which they achieved.

The biggest problem with modern feminism is that it's yet another identity groupthinking machine. There's nothing wrong with fighting for a specific issue of injustice in order to achieve equality rights or equal pay, or to get people back on their feet, to avoid trapping people in poverty or even to tackle a specific economic barrier to access to some jobs or university. Hell, I'd say that all of this "piecemeal social engineering" (discussed, evaluated, checked for results) is required for a liberal democracy to function.

But when you start preaching things like "the liberation of women as a class" when you're no longer fighting for the specific rights of individuals but for mass "reparations", to "end masculinity and Patriarchy" and all those other identity policies you're denying individuality, you're creating a system of broad assumptions which go against the anti-identitarian nature of individual rights.

The same thing is true for all the other facets of "social justice". Fighting against a specific issue by trying different approaches to allow people to succeed and/or to reduce pointless suffering (key word being pointless) due to extreme lack of income or to access to the bare minimum of modern society (decent housing, education, healthcare, etc.) is what you need. Declaring the "liberation of the X group" or the "end of the Cis Hetero White Male" is what you really don't need.
Yeah, it's all about that distinction. I was reminded of this the other day by a vid by an egalitarian Youtuber who was talking about egalitarianism being fundamentally about equality between human beings qua human beings, qua individuals. Group analysis can be valuable, but only insofar as it's a bit of ancillary science that helps focus efforts. Same idea as anti-racism as "colour blindness" vs. anti-racism as group v. group oppressor/oppressed dynamic.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Another Youtube comment that made me lol: Milo is the Weird Al Yancovic of politics :)

CaptainFluffyBunny

GenerallyFading wrote:UK people, Channel 4 is showing "Has political correctness gone mad?". Did silencing the dissent give rise to Trump and Brexit? Trevor Philips seems to be saying all the right things....
If it gets archived to the web, I would appreciate a link, thanks.

We need more people talking about this publicly or we ate going to get more extreme candidates from both sides of the horseshoe.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Make firearms readily available to them, and they'll sort themselves out in a week or two. :whistle:
Not sure they'd know one end from the other these days. Poor buggers now have to apply for a license to own a sub-12 ft/lb airgun.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

MarcusAu wrote:

Then there is...
Hail fair Atlantis!

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

screwtape wrote:
Not sure they'd know one end from the other these days. Poor buggers now have to apply for a license to own a sub-12 ft/lb airgun.
"Over the last 10 years, air weapons have consistently been the most commonly identified weapon used in recorded offences involving a firearm."

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/B ... endFirearm

It's all fun and genocide until someone loses an eye... ;)

https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspire ... y-rest.jpg

"Mon well ya specky wee cunt!"

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

screwtape wrote:
Pfft, paperwork. If you want a license you get one, or make friends with someone who has one. Shooting in Britain is doing fine. The cities are fairly empty but the countryside is well armed for the badger attacks that are imminent after recent provocative comments from Theresa May.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

They've finally lost the plot this time ... CNBC suggest we're living in an alternate reality.

[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

shoutinghorse wrote:They've finally lost the plot this time ... CNBC suggest we're living in an alternate reality.

[youtube][/youtube]
"They've" lost the plot? the guy that made the video missed the point. The article talks about people with goofy delusional ideas, it doesn't endorse them.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Kirbmarc wrote:In particular it's chilling the George Takei has expressed views similar to Milo's but there were no brouhahas about it.
I came back to the slymepit to report the same thing. You beat me to it.

[youtube][/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:

Then there is...
Hail fair Atlantis!
In case you're ever looking for a new avatar picture ...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Badger3k wrote:
Suet Cardigan wrote:How Google is fighting the war on internet trolls:
<snip>

Do these people think we're fucking stupid? Do they think we won't bother to read the reports they link to in their own fucking articles?
Actually, Yes, they do. I suspect that if it confirms to most people's biases, they will see the link as confirmation without checking it out themselves. They probably never read the link either. Look at our own steersbot. How often does he read the links he gives, or understands them? I suspect the same with a lot of people.
You probably know the aphorism "sipping from the fire hose": no shortage of volume but attempting to get a sip risks blowing one's teeth out.

Rather like the volume of "data" on the Net and elsewhere - one generally does not have time to delve deeply into any particular article, and is more or less obliged rely on abstracts and TL;DRs. Maybe sometimes one will miss important details, but getting the principle or principal point - the essence as opposed to surfaces - seems the important objective and issue.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

GenerallyFading wrote:UK people, Channel 4 is showing "Has political correctness gone mad?". Did silencing the dissent give rise to Trump and Brexit? Trevor Philips seems to be saying all the right things....

Earlier article /interview here:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -channel-4

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote:
jimthepleb wrote: When I get my Peter out, the earth moves... Is this what you mean?
I'm sure you both have a high Capability.

Good Luck on the Ha Ha.
Peter is the name of his bobcat.

http://www.lildiggers.com/wp-content/up ... bobcat.jpg

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

gurugeorge wrote:
Service Dog wrote:I can sorta-buy an argument-- that some 2nd wave feminists favored equality of Opportunity-- because they assumed it would automatically result in equal Outcomes. But when the outcome didn't manifest fast-enough to suit them-- feminists changed their tune & explicitly advocated for Outcome. But that's a flimsy form of opportunity/democracy/sportsmanship/fairness: We're In Favor Of It! (Unless It Doesn't Go Our Way/ Then We'll Oppose It).
The Feminism I wholeheartedly admire is the working class Feminism of the 1960s, the Feminism of Made in Dagenham. That was the sweet spot of Feminism, when they were fighting for a righteous cause (equal pay for equal work).

Which they achieved.

I like the Guardian's review of Made In Dagenham:

"Nonetheless, this remains a film for knee-jerk feminists and the soft in the head. A promising opportunity has been squandered."

Put that on the poster!

I am also bemused also bemused that you cite the story of a fictional feminist labor leader as feminism done right. Rita O'Grady is indeed one of the top 3 historic feminists. Alongside Smurfette and the Tooth Fairy. Her cuntributions to fictional history are undeniable. Especially in the stage-musical version. Her struggle against the imaginary male characters who tried to oppress her in appalling, fabricated scenes-- is an inspiration to all women fabricators... whether they fabricate textiles, rape accusations, paternity claims, campus rape stats, or innovative forms of industrial-grade butthurt.

I havent seen the movie. Im suuuuure it admits that the womens' strike for Equal Pay For Equal Work was rejected by the subsequent Court of Inquiry, which agreed with the original Ford pay scale/ designating sewing-together seat covers as "Category B (less skilled production jobs), instead of Category C (more skilled production jobs)". Did the film mention the men in the more-skilled jobs went on strike in solidarity with the less-skilled women? And succeeded in winning Equal Pay For Lesser Work Because Vagina. Huzzah!

Yes, but surely there would never have been a Court of Inquiry at-all, if not for the heroic achievements of some earlier golden-age of non-imaginary feminists! Except, no, the Court was acting under auspices of the Industrial Courts Act of 1919. Established before women could vote. When they were mere chattel, like farm animals, kept on hate-farms by misogynists.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

InfraRedBucket wrote:

Earlier article /interview here:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -channel-4
Gave it a watch- very decent.

Philips comes of as a disaffected liberal, alienated by how his old tribe have changed.

Can relate.

free thoughtpolice

There has been a sick eagle hanging out at the beach for the last week or 2. It has been allowing people to get close that healthy esp. adult birds don't, it has been puking and shitting and it is puffing out xir feathers. As you can see in the pic it has almost white irises instead of the yellowish of younger adults.
SAM_4566.JPG
(202.43 KiB) Downloaded 205 times

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

I'm no Devos fan, but surely this is a great example of entirely missing the point?

http://i.imgur.com/EL4RNLU.jpg

They're not free, dozy cunt

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

We need more people talking about this publicly or we ate going to get more extreme candidates from both sides of the horseshoe.
Working on this - can anyone recommend a good site to upload to?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

free thoughtpolice wrote:There has been a sick eagle hanging out at the beach for the last week or 2. It has been allowing people to get close that healthy esp. adult birds don't, it has been puking and shitting and it is puffing out xir feathers. As you can see in the pic it has almost white irises instead of the yellowish of younger adults.
SAM_4566.JPG
Is that a Freedom Eagle?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

free thoughtpolice wrote:There has been a sick eagle hanging out at the beach for the last week or 2. It has been allowing people to get close that healthy esp. adult birds don't, it has been puking and shitting and it is puffing out xir feathers. As you can see in the pic it has almost white irises instead of the yellowish of younger adults.
SAM_4566.JPG
Could be lead poisoning. Can you call the local Audubon society? They'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Sulman wrote:I'm no Devos fan, but surely this is a great example of entirely missing the point?

[bimg]http://i.imgur.com/EL4RNLU.jpg[/img]

They're not free, dozy cunt
I'm a big fan...

[youtube][/youtube]

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Easy J wrote:
comhcinc wrote:An Update: If anyone cares.

Been without internet except for my phone. Got kicked out of the apartment and now at a hotel. Yes they went in and threw away some of our stuff but I got most of it out and in storage. Working two jobs so don't have time to hang out.

On today because I had to get a placed drain in my leg. AM I still the king?
Could you be on your feet for 12 hours & stay in motels for weeks on end? I have a second job that pays way better than the trucking deal & your record wouldn't be a hindrance. Time between jobs would be kinda up to you.

How often do I need to be on my back or knees?

free thoughtpolice

Lsuoma wrote:
SAM_4566.JPG
Could be lead poisoning. Can you call the local Audubon society? They'll be able to point you in the right direction.
I took some more photos today of the same bird and was talking with one of the rescue folks during that. We were looking at a strategy to get close.
I have some more close ups of the eyes, confirms it is an older bird. 20 to 25 years ?
I saw at least 60 eagles on my daily watch.

CaptainFluffyBunny

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
The attachment SAM_4566.JPG is no longer available
I took some more photos today of the same bird and was talking with one of the rescue folks during that. We were looking at a strategy to get close.
I have some more close ups of the eyes, confirms it is an older bird. 20 to 25 years ?
I saw at least 60 eagles on my daily watch.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

:think: :think: :think:

Meyers seems to really love online polls all of a sudden. He used to direct his Herd to interfere with such polls on small-readership websites, saying they were pointless and misleading.

But in a post-Trump world, he is suddenly loving Big Media's polls when they go against Trump. Mind you, not a squeak about unleashing the mighty Herd onto this one. Weird that, because I imagine if Cainaji and Nerd start voting, it's just a matter of time before the results are 100% as Meyers wants them to be, and society collapses into a left wing Utopia.

https://image.ibb.co/emENRF/Screen_Shot ... _01_AM.png
picture snapper

Service Dog

Tucker Carlson offers Bio Prof PZ Myers $1,000 Challenge

Post by Service Dog »

Tucker Carlson issued a bold $1,000 challenge.

Will internet tough-guy PZ Myers take a brave public stand, For Science?!...

[youtube][/youtube]

Do it for the children!

:fpig: :fpig: :fpig:

:animals-chickencatch:

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

comhcinc wrote:
Easy J wrote:
comhcinc wrote:An Update: If anyone cares.

Been without internet except for my phone. Got kicked out of the apartment and now at a hotel. Yes they went in and threw away some of our stuff but I got most of it out and in storage. Working two jobs so don't have time to hang out.

On today because I had to get a placed drain in my leg. AM I still the king?
Could you be on your feet for 12 hours & stay in motels for weeks on end? I have a second job that pays way better than the trucking deal & your record wouldn't be a hindrance. Time between jobs would be kinda up to you.

How often do I need to be on my back or knees?
Company policy is kinda vague but the attitude is pretty live & let live on such issues.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

A few nights ago... the libertarian anti-public-schooling School Sucks Project podcast... included a joke about the 'Sam Harris Problem', describing Harris as a guy who has obvious intelligence & accomplishments in neuroscience-- but who wanders into discussing other subjects, such as politics, woefully unaware that he's not so smart in those areas.

I've observed that. Such as Harris's initially position on whether Apple should be compelled to help the federal govt crack the San Bernardino terrorists' iPhone.

I think the latest episode of Waking Up with Sam Harris is another example.

The guest is David Frum. That name sets me on edge, like a hen seeing a snake slither toward her eggs.

If my recollection is correct-- many years ago-- around-when Newt Gingrich gave-way to Karl Rove as head neo-con vampire-- I read a transcript of a chillingly wicked interview with David Frum. He was making insinuations about the black market 'ghetto economy', painting a picture of welfare queens and burglarized TVs, as if 'poor' blacks are all wildly-profitable criminals, hiding their riches from the IRS.

It was nasty. Mean-spirited. Made my skin crawl. To me, David Frum is Grima Wormtongue, Salacious Crumb, Varys the Eunich.

I might-even agree that there's some truth to his claim-- poor ghetto blacks do seem to have mysterious access to money for flashy sneakers, hair weaves & ridiculous motorcycles. But I still take exception to David Frum, in the same way that Winston Churchill said you're a rotten miser if you're under 30 & a conservative rather than an idealistic liberal... but you're an overgrown child idiot-- if you're over 30 & haven't become conservative yet. [paraphrase.] David From was too shitty too soon.

The nutty part is-- I'm not 100% sure I've even got the right guy! Maybe it was some other neo-con who said the crap I've long attributed to Frum! I spent less than a minute googling 'David Frum' and 'ghetto economy' & gave-up researching when I didn't get immediate confirmation.

The key thing is-- I'm telling you about the hyperskepticism with-which I approached David Frum's podcast chat with Sam Harris.

And, I think, rightly so-- this David Frum seems like the one I recall, in his willingness to flatly declare facts to be whatever his opinion says they are. Edward Snowden is absolutely a Russian spy. Trump has definitely already enriched himself, like a Russian Oligarch. Etc. Even when Sam Harris expresses some degree of skepticism, "How controversial is that opinion?", he seems far too indulgent of David Frum's hyperbole. Harris seems unaware of the irony & absurdity in taking at face value opinions on Fake News-- provided-by an inveterate Fake News spin doctor.

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/has- ... /62378-001

Hope this works for you, there was a brief glimpse of Milo. I think I've been made immune by The 'Pit - I felt it didn't really say a great deal that I hadn't heard but I'm going to check out reviews today to see how it was received

Hopefully my young Feminist friend watched it at work. The one who labelled me a troll because I refused to toe the line over "Feminism is needed". She's studying journalism and can't see the irony of being 'oppressed' whilst studying something she wants to do.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Service Dog wrote:I am also bemused also bemused that you cite the story of a fictional feminist labor leader as feminism done right.
I referenced the movie because it had a feeling tone that I enjoyed. I learnt about the real story when I was in my teens, so I may not have true knowledge of it, but the Wikipedia article sums up what I vaguely thought I knew:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_sewi ... ke_of_1968

Is that all bollocks? (I'm already fairly well red-pilled so happy to concede if so lol - it would be just another old illusion shattered.)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

gurugeorge wrote:
Service Dog wrote:I am also bemused also bemused that you cite the story of a fictional feminist labor leader as feminism done right.
I referenced the movie because it had a feeling tone that I enjoyed. I learnt about the real story when I was in my teens, so I may not have true knowledge of it, but the Wikipedia article sums up what I vaguely thought I knew:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_sewi ... ke_of_1968

Is that all bollocks? (I'm already fairly well red-pilled so happy to concede if so lol - it would be just another old illusion shattered.)
Take my previous reply with a grain of salt. I mostly couldn't resist brandishing that line from the Guardian. Everything-else came from a skimming a couple wikipedia entries. I was more concerned with highlighting the funny stuff-- like the lead character in the movie being a fictionalized creation-- rather than providing a balanced, correct version of events.

I think there's truth in your claim that today's feminists erase their predecessors' achievements in order to claim perpetual victimhood.

I also think there are real instructive lessons to be found in the real story of that strike. For example, after the Court of Inquiry ruled against the women's 'equal work' claim, they striked a second time-- this time winning equal pay, regardless of apples to oranges comparisons to other tasks their co-workers performed. THAT would be a very-different moral to the story: "Stop measuring your worth by jealous comparisons to others. EVERYONE is only worth as much or as little as they're willing to take a stand for. That's how capitalism works & you're better off playing the game & winning at-it/ than demanding special rules to over-ride it & compensate you for your underperformance."

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

This Trump low opinion rating thingie.

From what I saw he is getting super ratings from republicans and fucktard single digit scores from democrats. Nets off as mid to shit overall.

"Normal' presidents get high partisan and middling opposition scores. Ie higher.

But really. Who gives a shit what the pinkos think? They ain't the target demographic eh?

Guest_d490dcd8

Post by Guest_d490dcd8 »

Service Dog wrote:The guest is David Frum. That name sets me on edge, like a hen seeing a snake slither toward her eggs.
David Frum is very popular in certain circles as a serious, and well meaning conservative, but for me, he will always be the cunt that coined axis of evil.

en.wikipedia dot org/wiki/Axis_of_evil#David_Frum
David Frum

The phrase was attributed to former Bush speechwriter David Frum, originally as the axis of hatred and then evil. Frum explained his rationale for creating the phrase axis of evil in his book The Right Man: The Surprise Presidency of George W. Bush. Essentially, the story begins in late December 2001 when head speechwriter Michael Gerson gave Frum the assignment of articulating the case for dislodging the government of Saddam Hussein in Iraq in only a few sentences for the upcoming State of the Union address. Frum says he began by rereading President Franklin D. Roosevelt's "date which will live in infamy" speech given on December 8, 1941, after the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor. While Americans needed no convincing about going to war with Japan, Roosevelt saw the greater threat to the United States coming from Nazi Germany, and he had to make the case for fighting a two-ocean war.

Frum points in his book to a now often-overlooked sentence in Roosevelt's speech which reads in part, "...we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again." Frum interprets Roosevelt's oratory like this: "For FDR, Pearl Harbor was not only an attack—it was a warning of future and worse attacks from another, even more dangerous enemy." Japan, a country with one-tenth of America's industrial capacity, a dependence on imports for its food, and already engaged in a war with China, was extremely reckless to attack the United States, a recklessness "that made the Axis such a menace to world peace", Frum says. Saddam Hussein's two wars, against Iran and Kuwait, were just as reckless, Frum decided, and therefore presented the same threat to world peace.

In his book Frum relates that the more he compared the Axis powers of World War II to modern "terror states", the more similarities he saw. "The Axis powers disliked and distrusted one another", Frum writes. "Had the Axis somehow won the war, its members would quickly have turned on one another." Iran, Iraq, al-Qaeda, and Hezbollah, despite quarreling among themselves, "all resented power of the West and Israel, and they all despised the humane values of democracy." There, Frum saw the connection: "Together, the terror states and the terror organizations formed an axis of hatred against the United States."

Frum tells that he then sent off a memo with the above arguments and also cited some of the atrocities perpetrated by the Iraqi government. He expected his words to be chopped apart and altered beyond recognition, as is the fate of much presidential speechwriting, but his words were ultimately read by Bush nearly verbatim, though Bush changed the term axis of hatred to axis of evil. North Korea was added to the list, he says, because it was attempting to develop nuclear weapons, had a history of reckless aggression, and "needed to feel a stronger hand".[2]

Afterwards, Frum's wife disclosed his authorship to the public.
Down on planet earth however, where the rest of us have to live in the world your bullshit propaganda creates:

en.wikipedia dot org/wiki/Axis_of_evil#Criticism
Criticism
Iran and Iraq fought the long Iran–Iraq War in the 1980s under basically the same leadership as that which existed at the time of Bush's speech, leading some to believe that the linking of the nations under the same banner was misguided. Others argued that each of the three nations in the "axis of evil" had some special characteristics which were obscured by grouping them together. Anne Applebaum wrote about the debate over North Korea's inclusion in the group.[6]

In the days after the 9/11 attacks, Crocker and other senior U.S. State Department officials flew to Geneva to meet secretly with representatives of the government of Iran. For several months, Crocker and his Iranian counterparts cooperated on capturing Al Qaeda operatives in the region and fighting the Taliban government in Afghanistan. These meetings stopped after the "Axis of Evil" speech hardened Iranian attitudes toward cooperating with the U.S.[7]
Today, in some part due to his axis of evil label, Iran has gone from potential reform and increased connection to the country that most threatens Israel, Saudi Arabia and Middle East Peace.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

As misguided and ill-informed as Sam Harris (and Richard Dawkins, and the Young Turks, and Dave Rubin, and Alex Jones even) might be outside their fields of study - I would prefer have them engaging freely in public discussion with whoever they see fit - rather than have the elite gatekeepers of discourse decide who can and cannot speak on what.

If there is an error then it's up to whoever is well informed on the subject to present that correction by engaging in discussion or writing a column or in whatever way they think best.

Otherwise who gets to decide who is beyond the pale and gets to be non-platformed (or downgraded to a smaller platform such as an Internet forum)? Academia? The Majority? The Party currently in Power?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Guest_d490dcd8 wrote:
Service Dog wrote:The guest is David Frum. That name sets me on edge, like a hen seeing a snake slither toward her eggs.
David Frum is very popular in certain circles as a serious, and well meaning conservative, but for me, he will always be the cunt that coined axis of evil.

<snip>

Today, in some part due to his axis of evil label, Iran has gone from potential reform and increased connection to the country that most threatens Israel, Saudi Arabia and Middle East Peace.
The problem with using words like "evil" is that they obfuscate serious international policies. All countries can be defined as "evil", at least from a sufficiently extended version of the word. Many think that Switzerland's policies on the Swiss bank accounts of many world leaders were "evil". Many would call the invasion of Iraq or the use of nuclear bombs against Japan "evil". "Evil" is a loaded word which leads us nowhere when we're talking about the activities of governments, NGOs, corporations, etc.

It's better to look at the actual policies, to the connections between them, to interests, to possible avenues of compromise than to use loaded language.

Is Iran a Islamo-fascist theocracy? Yes, it has been like that since 1979. Have they engaged in terrorism abroad? Yes, mostly (but not exclusively) against Iranian ex-pats. Are they the biggest threat in the Middle East? They're engaged in a cold war and proxy wars with Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States, and recently Israel has joined the fun by allying itself with the KSA and the Gulf States and aiding anti-Assad salafi rebels in the Syrian proxy war to wreck Hezbollah and indirectly hit Iran.

US foreign policy is schizophrenic. One one hand the petro-dollar lobbies are incredibly powerful and people like David Frum probably know very well that they're working in their interests by designating Iran (and Iraq under Saddam) as part of the "axis of evil".

On the other hand there are many interests who instead wish for less Machiavellian projects about destabilizing countries (Syria, Libya) to uphold the petro-dollar and for more stability, especially since the petro-countries are also the major sources of trouble among islamic communities in both the MENA countries and in Europe, since they support the Salafi-led "rebirth" of the worse parts of traditional islam.

As a chocolate-eating, cuckoo-clock loving greedy banker it's the in the interest of my country to have less trouble with troublemakers at home and abroad more than to support the petro-dollar. We keep a pretty tight control on our borders, but I'm also surrounded by countries which let troublemakers in, which heavily complicates things.

I'm no fan of the Iranian regime: it's based on islam and like every regime based on islam it's shit. However they're the ones who have more to lose in the Middle East since they're the Shia minority against the Sunni majority, and there are signs of cracks in the dogmatic and aggressive islamo-fascism of the regime. They're certainly not worse than Saudi Arabia, and they might even be slightly better.

Anyway they're less interested in sponsoring terrorism and theocratic nutters where I live, if they want to it's relatively easy to keep them out, and even in the US it's relatively easy to control them, since they haven't infiltrated the US political system like the petro-countries and their friends.

So I think that they're the lesser, more manageable threat, and that you can set up boundaries and deals with them if you're careful enough not to trust them too much and make them understand that they have everything to lose and nothing to gain by supporting people who come to my country to create trouble. It's very unlikely to tell this to the petro-countries because they know that thanks to their powerful cronies within the US they'll never be punished.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

'Axis-of-Evi' is one hell of an ear-worm of a catchy meme.

Kirbmarc's disapproval of the term - show why he is not cut out to be a politician (or to work in PR for that matter).

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:'Axis-of-Evil' is one hell of an ear-worm of a catchy meme.

Kirbmarc's disapproval of the term - show why he is not cut out to be a politician (or to work in PR for that matter).
Oh, I don't disapprove of the term. It's a brilliant term from a PR point of view. It's catchy, as you say, it evokes World War Two and Nazi Germany, which is a bonus, and it's short and made up of short words, which helps people remember it.

It even start on the near open front unrounded vowel /æ/, proceeds through the near-close, near-front unrounded vowel /ɪ/ and ends on the close front unrounded vowel /i/. It's gradual progression of vowel sounds which makes it rolls of the tongue nicely.

It's a perfect political meme.

I disapprove of the use of the meme, i.e. it was used to support of the retarded idea that invading Iraq and antagonizing Iran was going to improve the Middle East.

Similarly I can admire Johnny Cochran for his "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit!" meme. Again, catchy, rhyming, easy to remember and understand, a great meme.

However I can also think that he got O.J. Simpson, who according to the available evidence (motive, opportunity, fleeing from the crime scene, bloodstains caused by shoes sold only to a limited number of people which included Simpson, etc.) seems to have been very likely guilty of murder, acquitted. Whether this was a good thing or a bad thing it's up to you.