Old subthreads
paddybrown

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by paddybrown »

[youtube][/youtube]

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Trump ran in a non-identity politics arena last time (against Hillary and Obama) and DID get his ass handed to him.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

deLurch wrote:On Milo-Maher,
Part 1: Notice he ragged on gays not showing up to work, but when he pulled the same gag on women, the audience got all booey.
Part 2: I concur with Maher, that Milo made an error by calling his discussion partners idiots. Milo did not pull that part off well.
Smorgasbord of Anti-Milo tactics on offer: (Effectiveness scores out of 10)

1) Label him alt-right. [Verdict: weak but did succeed in putting Milo on the defensive a little but he sidestepped it eventually. Effectiveness 3]
2) Try to rope him with LGBT politics, "You're only alive because of him !" [Didn't work because too old-fashioned and Milo didn't buy it. Effectiveness 2]
3) Troll him back (good quip about that's not all people who hate you) [Made Milo have to laugh along which made him look lightweight. Effectiveness 8]
4) Attack him for being English - More to claim that he's an irrelevance and to steer the conversation on to familiar American culture war ground than to be xenophobic [Chimes well with audience but is too obvious an attempt to avoid the issue. Effectiveness 4]
5) Humiliate him with personal nastiness [Undermines him by treating him as second class commentator who can be told 'Fuck You' - It does work but at some cost to whoever is doing the nastiness - Effectiveness 6]
6) Patronise him by telling him he talks too much etc [Works to undermine Milo, but you've got to be Bill Maher to pull this off. Effectiveness 7]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

paddybrown wrote:Trump. I've been saying for a while that although Trump is not a fascist, and the people who accuse him of being one are hysterically overreacting, he is a colossal twat who doesn't have a clue what he's doing. A Democratic Party that had its act together would make mincemeat out of him in four years time, but they're showing so little sign of getting their act together it's hilarious (and depressing).
A significant part of why Trump got elected was because of the rise of SJ-Regressive stupidity.

He is a joke and a con man, but many saw him as an alternative to the rising tide of informal censorship of politica correctness, to the progressive erosione of presumption of innocence, to the imposed globalist or pro unlimited immigration measures which no one could object to or even criticize in a sensibile way.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

So, deciding to sacrifice myself, I'm in the middle of that new Ghostbusters movie.

Two reactions come to mind:

[youtube][/youtube]

And

[youtube][/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

paddybrown wrote:Milo/Maher - amusing. Maher handled it well, telling liberals to stop taking the bait and pointing out his humour was no more cruel than Joan Rivers. But Milo got a few laughs and made a few points the audience responded to. He was out of his depth on the panel discussion bit though - clearly not used to being talked back to.
Milo is used to being talked back to. But the normal situation is that he is on stage, with the microphone, and the people talking back to him are raving lunatics who are so triggered they can't even (string a coherent sentence together).

It would be more accurate to state that Milo is not used to being talked back to by anyone who has a shred of intelligence & composure, or who isn't so out for a hit piece that they fall over themselves when his responses don't fall in line with their narrative.

Perhaps it was the 3 to 1 aspect that threw him. Milo was too primed for a fight. His normal A-game would either having him striking good points back at them, or getting them to like him.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Watched Milo clips.

Slightly amused that He wasn't pulled up when talking about "gender confusion" when sitting there in pearls looking like a cross between Bruno (as mentioned by Maher) and Margaret Rutherford.
http://i.imgur.com/nk7DRoI.jpg http://i.imgur.com/mFoEI57.jpg

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

One final thought on Maher-Milo. For a round table talk show of many people, Milo was the fucking center of attention at all times. Even when he wasn't saying anything all of the guests kept on directing the attention back to Milo.

Milo has some of the same magic that Trump has.

Maher had to reel Milo back so that it didn't become the 'Real Time with Milo Yiannopoulos' show.

Also I think Bill Maher did an excellent job throttling (as in race car engine throttling) Milo.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Trump is an idiot. Surrounded by idiots. As long as the Reps see him as a useful idiot they'll prop him up and then likely drop him like a stone once he's no longer useful. Problem is those in succession are also idiots.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Ok, still with the new GB:

Why is that blond girl wearing pilot goggles? At all time?

So far, it would have been pretty descent without the forced jokes. CGI looks ok. Script is not too bad. But fuck, lose the damn stupid jokes. Nobody's laughing.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

And it should be obvious by now I'm filling this thread with GB stuff because I don't give a fuck about Trump or Milo. This place is getting boring.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:And it should be obvious by now I'm filling this thread with GB stuff because I don't give a fuck about Trump or Milo. This place is getting boring.
Jupiter Ascending was a fun action flick. Some lame parts & the story was not fully fleshed out, but the visuals and action carried the day.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1617661/

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Ok, still with the new GB:

Why is that blond girl wearing pilot goggles? At all time?

So far, it would have been pretty descent without the forced jokes. CGI looks ok. Script is not too bad. But fuck, lose the damn stupid jokes. Nobody's laughing.
Ghostbusters is supposed to be a comedy, so of its jokes fail, it's a failure overall.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

The jokes in the original were well-thought, and inspired by the context. This new version is a fucking travesty of what the original stood for.

(Yet, a few jokes have been working. I like Chris Hemsworth's bumbling Kevin as well. This could have been a much better movie)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

It's highly unlikely I will ever watch GBII.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Last time I saw motherfuckers crash a rock concert, it was at the Bataclan.

Seriously, did the BG writers even give a shit when they thought that one out?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:And it should be obvious by now I'm filling this thread with GB stuff because I don't give a fuck about Trump or Milo. This place is getting boring.
Maybe Trump is the real b*gfoot.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Forget it. GB2016 is the best SJW movie ever.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Jan Steen wrote:
Maybe Trump is the real b*gfoot.
His feet, Mike his hands, are too small.

Guest_d385ccd3

Post by Guest_d385ccd3 »

Bored pitters won't regret turning this into a link and clicking it to get to reddit/r/diy

reddit dot com/r/DIY/comments/5uo176/underground_party_bunker/

imgur gallery here: imgur dot com/a/usBzT

As testimonial to the lulz, here is what the mods have to say about it:
Hi /r/DIY,

This post has generated a lot of reports for being dangerous, it's also generated a lot of discussion regarding the safety of it.

We aren't going to remove this post. /r/DIY moderators do manually review each and every single submission to our subreddit. We try to not censor any submission so long as it fits within our guidelines.

With that being said - we have in the past refused to allow certain submissions due to safety concerns. We have also requested that OPs adjust descriptions and add warnings to their posts when we felt it might be necessary.

There is some great discussion going on regarding the safety of this project - and we believe it's better to leave up than to remove.
Thanks for your understanding.

-DIY Moderation

Keating

Post by Keating »

Old_ones wrote:Trump isn't going to do anything constructive, but the most important constructive thing that he isn't going to do is hinder identity politics. The identity politics of the left is gaining strength because of his Muslim ban and his "grab 'em by the pussy" comments. They'll come back stronger than ever, and Trump will just be a discredit to the opposition.
I see this argument, I really do. I'm just not convinced that 4 years of the press asking the president how she managed to get her arsehole so tasty instead of why she thought bombing Libya was a good idea would have been any better. Plus, any actual criticism being dismissed as sexism would be fun too.

As a non-US citizen, I'm happy that the TPP is dead and Australia is much less likely to follow the US into what ever foreign adventuring you lot decide to go on next.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Guest_d385ccd3 wrote:Bored pitters won't regret turning this into a link and clicking it to get to reddit/r/diy

reddit dot com/r/DIY/comments/5uo176/underground_party_bunker/

imgur gallery here: imgur dot com/a/usBzT

As testimonial to the lulz, here is what the mods have to say about it:
Hi /r/DIY,

This post has generated a lot of reports for being dangerous, it's also generated a lot of discussion regarding the safety of it.

We aren't going to remove this post. /r/DIY moderators do manually review each and every single submission to our subreddit. We try to not censor any submission so long as it fits within our guidelines.

With that being said - we have in the past refused to allow certain submissions due to safety concerns. We have also requested that OPs adjust descriptions and add warnings to their posts when we felt it might be necessary.

There is some great discussion going on regarding the safety of this project - and we believe it's better to leave up than to remove.
Thanks for your understanding.

-DIY Moderation
So somebody's unwilling sex-slave dungeon.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Forget it. GB2016 is the best SJW movie ever.
So GB II is even Greater than the origional.

Why? Do they get Ireland back?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

So did anyone catch when Milo said at the beginning of his sit down interview, that he was not really conservative?

I wonder if he has any conservative principles at all - or if he is like a reverse chameleon - saying whatever he feels will get him the attention.

I'm sure that his critics on the right - eg Ben Shapiro or the crew at National Review - will take note.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Keating wrote:I see this argument, I really do. I'm just not convinced that 4 years of the press asking the president how she managed to get her arsehole so tasty instead of why she thought bombing Libya was a good idea would have been any better. Plus, any actual criticism being dismissed as sexism would be fun too.

As a non-US citizen, I'm happy that the TPP is dead and Australia is much less likely to follow the US into what ever foreign adventuring you lot decide to go on next.
Giant douche vs. Turd sandwich. South Park got it right. It was a choice between two shitty candidates, to the point where it was hard to see which one was the l'esser evil.

As someone who has a vested interest in diminishing the influence of the salafi and/or the muslim brotherhood in the "west" I can at least appreciate that Trump doesn't seem to be tonguing their ass like Obama did or Clinton would have likely done.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Old_ones wrote:The funny thing is that he isn't running rings around the press. He's being portrayed as an idiot and an ineffectual bungler.
Yes, by a mainstream media that the public increasingly doesn't trust.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

The race was between two people high up on the authoritarian spectrum, and quite frankly, while their politics are entirely different, it's not a left vs. right thing, it's just a different selection of left vs. right issues. Giant Douche vs. Turd Sandwich really does cover it.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Prepare for eight years of boredom, and then four more years of Pence.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

InfraRedBucket wrote:Trump is an idiot. Surrounded by idiots. As long as the Reps see him as a useful idiot they'll prop him up and then likely drop him like a stone once he's no longer useful. Problem is those in succession are also idiots.

Love him or loath him one thing is for sure, the left (liberals in US) have the President they deserve. They have controlled the narrative and conversation, shaming and forcing people to comply through 'political correctness' and group think for years, people have had enough, seen their way of life altered and in many cases destroyed and when complain, told to shut up, sit down and don't be a 'Racist' 'Sexist' 'Homophobe' 'Islamophobe' etc. etc.
We saw this in Britain with the EU referendum, we're still seeing it now with the liberal/left, (the high court decision and now Blair) constant sniping by the MSM esp. the BBC that we have made the wrong decision, we weren't informed, we were somehow not intelligent enough to understand. The same has happened in the US, the parallels with Brexit are there for all to see. The sniping sneering left wing politicos (Democrats) have treated the American working/middle class with such contempt that someone like Trump was always going to come along, it was inevitable.
Liberals .. Hillary was your best shot?? You have only yourselves to blame for Trump.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

feathers wrote:
Prepare for eight years of boredom, and then four more years of Pence.
I doubt it, actually. For all his frenetic right-wing populist energy, Trump seems to be slowing down faster than a bug caught in molasses. In four years I think we're going to be ready to off-load him like a truck of pig manure. I'm looking for a left wing populist in 2020, either Bernie or Warren. Sure, they'll probably wear out their welcome just as fast, but the country's mood is trial and error.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

CommanderTuvok wrote: I have had this argument before with many people.

I switch the scenario, in the UK, to the fact that the number of people killed as a result of a "hate crime" is incredibly small.....so therefore, we should not worry about "hate crime", and perhaps even stop a lot of lucrative funding that goes into groups, charities, lobbies, etc. that campaign against "hate crime". After all, more people die from slipping on a floor, so let's put all the funds there....

.....which results in them throwing a massive fit, and running back to mom's basement with their tail between their legs.

This is just one of a number of whataboutery and evasion techniques the regressive left employ to mitigate the problem the Islamism. Another one is the redefinition of "terrorism".
Heh. If you want to be really brutal, Tuvok, inform them that the total number of people in the UK with Sickle Cell disease is around 15,000 - approx 0.025% of the population - while melanoma skin cancer (which affects whites more than brown folk) gives us around 15,500 new cases every year alone. Go on to ask if Sickle Cell research is really worth bothering with, given that incidences thereof are so vanishingly small in comparison to skin cancer - and watch them fret & steam & call you, like, literally racist omg. :lol:

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Kirbmarc wrote:Trump is a terribile president.

The only advantage he has is that there is a consistently irrational part of his opposition which is not satisified with pointing out how terribile che is on some specific issues and HAS to argue that he's a nazi and everyone who supports him is a nazi and deserves to ne punched.

If the left stopped exaggerating the flaws of a guy who has so many real issues they'd easily convince a significant part of the US electorate that he's unfit for the office of president.

But no. They have to scream about how much he's literally Hitler.

Eventi the allegations about Russian involvement are marred by the "golden shower" stupidity. There are some suspicious dealings going on but larve parte of the left, instead of asking for an investigation (which is warranted) screams "Russian puppet!" or "kompromat!"

This is exactly of the Italian left behaved with Silvio Berlusconi. The guy was under suspicion of many shady dealings and said lots of idiotic things, but this wasn't enough, he had to be the devil or the new Hitler.

Berlusconi became Prime Minister three times and he's still in politics.

I sede a lot of clever, well informed, non-ideological people who provvide eccellente and well-documented criticism of the Trump administration.

Sadly their voice risks to be lost among those of the idiots who cheer about punching nazis or telling white men to shut up.

The SJWs are being Trump's best allies. The sane left needs to explicitly tale that rotting albatross off their necks. Sadky, though, Trump's stupidity his also the SJWs' best source of irrational outrage.

This is a vicious spiral of escalating insanity. The saner folk need to break out of it.
I agree, but the saner voices are being lost. And if (or when) Trump manages to screw up, the regressive left will look like heroes.

Sadly, the corollary to SJWs being Trump's best ally is that Trump is SJW's best ally. The regressive left was slowly eating itself and was coming under increasing mockery. Now they are united and may shortly have some real grievance to drive them.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

According to WEIT David Attenborough's Earth II is on BBCA tonight. For any Americans who haven't seen it yet, it's magnificent.

Meanwhile Brits can look forward to the BBC adaptation of Len Deighton's SS-GB tomorrow night so we get to experience what the UK would be like under Literally Hitler.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: I agree, but the saner voices are being lost. And if (or when) Trump manages to screw up, the regressive left will look like heroes.

Sadly, the corollary to SJWs being Trump's best ally is that Trump is SJW's best ally. The regressive left was slowly eating itself and was coming under increasing mockery. Now they are united and may shortly have some real grievance to drive them.
Oh, bullshit. I dare you to prove that "The regressive left was slowly eating itself": It's on the verge of taking over the Democratic Party openly, and if anything Trump's election has revealed the massive power they hold in government and Academia, and just how corrupt the mainstream press really is.

Apparently you believe they were magically going to go away, once Hilster was elected and finished enacting 90 percent of their policies - and got huge backlash for the ten percent I'm sure she wouldn't enact (Corrupt Pragmatist that she is).

I don't even know what to say to someone as full of magical thinking and blinkerism as you are.
At least we Trump we now have Institutional Support and marching orders to fight them.

CaptainFluffyBunny

I cringed so hard at the trailer I couldn't manage to make myself watch the whole thing.

For all the hype, the movie went pretty flat and DVD and Bluray sales weren't all that great. The feminist movie of 2016 and it barely made a ripple. Let's hope people learned from it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
I cringed so hard at the trailer I couldn't manage to make myself watch the whole thing.

For all the hype, the movie went pretty flat and DVD and Bluray sales weren't all that great. The feminist movie of 2016 and it barely made a ripple. Let's hope people learned from it.
Lets' face it, the top number of seeders on TPB is around 600. That's fucking low.

By the way, Charles Dance, Chris Hemsworth, Andy Garcia: if they are holding a member of your family hostage to secure your appearance in that shit-show, just nod your heads. Bill Murray gets a pass because he's Bill Murray.

I started watching that fucking movie 8 hours ago, and I got so bored and distracted I went to read some Cracked articles. And there's still 1h14 to go (yep, extended version).

Someone please kill me.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

So, any news about Trump?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:So, any news about Trump?
Who, Donald Trump, the billionaire? I heard he considered running for president, but that was surely in jest.

I mean, c'mon.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

deLurch wrote:
So somebody's unwilling sex-slave dungeon.

I dont think it's well-equipped for condensation. People exhale & sweat humidity. Likewise, a propane heater would make it rain in there. Untreated wood would be a better ceiling surface, to drink excess moisture & release it slowly.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Not about trump or milo?!

Feminist ghostbusters media spin helped trump get elected by resembling hillary's rhetoric too closely. And the black ghostbustress's chimp-out is whut got milo banned from twitter.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Trump made promises. He said he would eliminate chemtrails the first day in office but they're still here!
This is the tipping point for me. :twisted:
[youtube][/youtube]

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

feathers wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:So, any news about Trump?
Who, Donald Trump, the billionaire? I heard he considered running for president, but that was surely in jest.

I mean, c'mon.
Yeah that was way back, though no chance of a comeback after that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Tr ... aign,_2000

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

shoutinghorse wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote:Trump is an idiot. Surrounded by idiots. As long as the Reps see him as a useful idiot they'll prop him up and then likely drop him like a stone once he's no longer useful. Problem is those in succession are also idiots.

Love him or loath him one thing is for sure, the left (liberals in US) have the President they deserve. They have controlled the narrative and conversation, shaming and forcing people to comply through 'political correctness' and group think for years, people have had enough, seen their way of life altered and in many cases destroyed and when complain, told to shut up, sit down and don't be a 'Racist' 'Sexist' 'Homophobe' 'Islamophobe' etc. etc.
We saw this in Britain with the EU referendum, we're still seeing it now with the liberal/left, (the high court decision and now Blair) constant sniping by the MSM esp. the BBC that we have made the wrong decision, we weren't informed, we were somehow not intelligent enough to understand. The same has happened in the US, the parallels with Brexit are there for all to see. The sniping sneering left wing politicos (Democrats) have treated the American working/middle class with such contempt that someone like Trump was always going to come along, it was inevitable.
Liberals .. Hillary was your best shot?? You have only yourselves to blame for Trump.
The High Court decision essentially on Prime Ministerial prerogative was to do with correct procedure , nothing to do with reversing the process of Brexit . That was just a healthy constitution (mostly unwritten in one place) and separation of powers/checks and balances in action. As Trump also found out with his E Orders.
While there's some justifiable gloating over the pushback against the worse aspects of SJWism in the US , the danger is the baby gets thrown out with the bathwater and they end up with a science denying fundamentalist Xristian Theocracy. The lunatics have taken over the asylum. Even the Bushes didnt surround themselves with such idiots. The push back against that could be not a sensible moderated left of centre/centre Democratic party but official SJWism II and a complacent Hillary Clinton II. The Dem Party needs rebuilding and soon as Obama gets back from his surfing holiday with Billionaire Branson....

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

shoutinghorse wrote:Liberals .. Hillary was your best shot?? You have only yourselves to blame for Trump.
Hillary 2020 may be a reality. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hil ... 37efcfeabb

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Is peer-reviewed Richard Carrier, PhD, anywhere close to LA?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Watson shows tenacity as she clings to the merest hint of a pseudo/demi D celebrity drive-by Twitter contact.

Also.

Has anyone EVER seen her being attacked for going to a rich school? I've only ever seen eyebrows raised when she leveraged the curious anomaly of her communictaions degree being lumped in with Bachelor of Sci.

Here she appears in one sentence to invent fake news, leverage it for fake victim points before pivoting it into a brag about how clever she was.

It's long been a reflex ability of hers, I doubt she even knew she was doing it so no gold stars offered.

http://i.imgur.com/snz3zFm.jpg

CaptainFluffyBunny

fuzzy wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:Liberals .. Hillary was your best shot?? You have only yourselves to blame for Trump.
Hillary 2020 may be a reality. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hil ... 37efcfeabb
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... eback.html :twatson:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Any good US political podcasts?

Carlin' latest basically says this environment is above his pay grade.

Ive got Trump Report (low rent) and 538 Politics. Anything else of real use?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Looks like Mykeru was gypping us after all.

$14 ??

http://i.imgur.com/c3Sq9LX.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

For all those looking for the browser extension that turns Trumps tweets into childish scribble - here you go.

http://maketrumptweetseightagain.com

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

This fucking Pit rapture ...

sometimes paywalled so ....

There’s no credibility in attacking the incomes of superannuants and pensioners without running the red pen through non-essential government expenditure such as politically correct junkets for a Sharia apologist.

When quizzed in the Senate by One Nation’s Malcolm Roberts last week, Senator George Brandis didn’t even have the grace to be embarrassed by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s funding of such questionable “public diplomacy” excursions.

“I can advise you that Yassmin Abdel Magied visited a number of countries in the Middle East to promote Australia as an open, tolerant and multicultural society... [Her trip] was funded from the public diplomacy budgets of middle east posts and cost an estimated $11,485 comprising travel allowance and flights… There was no personal fee or profit element to her.”

Why on earth would we want to present an alluring image of Australia to repressive Islamic regimes, where little girls are circumcised, women are stoned for adultery, gay people are executed, and where our idea of “an open tolerant” society is decried as Western decadence?

In any case, no one said Magied was receiving a “personal fee” for going on the DFAT junket. That’s beside the point.

Yassmin Abdel-Magied’s claim on Q&A that “Islam is the most feminist religion” ignores uncomfortable truths about Sharia law. (Pic: News Corp).

“Yassmin’s Middle East speaking tour”, as Magied describes it on her Facebook page, to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Jordan, Israel, Egypt and Sudan in November coincided with the publication of her book “Yassmin’s story”, billed as the memoir of a Sudanese-Egyptian-Australian Muslim woman who wears the hijab, as The Australian reported last week.

And, judging by her appearance on the taxpayer-funded ABC’s Q&A last week, her promotional activities also extend back home, to misrepresenting the oppressive misogyny of Sharia Law.

She said that Sharia law is simply “me praying five times day,” that it required Muslims to “follow the law of the land on which you are on”, and that “Islam is the most feminist religion”, which prompted guffaws even from Q&A’s partisan audience.

Fellow panellist Senator Jacqui Lambie wasn’t buying this soft soaping of Sharia.

“The fact is we have one law in this country and it is the Australian law not sharia law, not in this country,” Lambie said, before telling Magied to “stop playing the victim”.

Predictably enough a group of 49 Muslim activists now are demanding an apology from the ABC for not giving Magied, who actually is employed by the ABC as a television host, a “safe” space to promote Sharia.

In their change.org petition they blasted Lambie as “racist, Islamophobic and crude, and [her words] constitute racial abuse and bullying...

“If Q&A wants to invite Muslim individuals to its forum, it should be able to guarantee a safe environment.”

In other words, Magied’s portrayal of Sharia should not be challenged.

As Professor Clive Kessler points out, Magied is correct that Sharia, or Islamic law, does say “that one must obey the law of the land”. But only where the “law of the land” is Sharia.

Jacqui Lambie may have be abrasive, but it’s not Islamophobic to insist everyone in Australia abide by Australian law. (Pic: Q&A/ABC)
And as Somali-born author Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who is calling for a reform of Islam, points out: “As a moral and legal code, sharia law is among the most dehumanising, demeaning and degrading for women ever devised by man.”

Under sharia, women are not equal to men: a woman’s testimony in court is worth half of a man’s; she inherits half as much as a man; husbands are allowed to beat their wives for disobedience; sex with prepubescent girls, and having female sex slaves is allowed.

Under sharia, Muslims are superior to non-Muslims (labelled unbelievers or kafir) and insulting Islam is a punishable offence.

And, as at least three imams on the Australian National Imams Council have declared, under sharia, homosexuals should be put to death.

In other words there’s a lot more to sharia than praying five times a day.

Yet Islamists in Australia, such as the Hizb ut-tahrir organisation, continue to push for a separate system of sharia, to operate in parallel with the law of the land, which would pose a serious threat to our freedoms. The Australian Federation of Islamic Councils also tried unsuccessfully to convince the Gillard government to introduce a modified form of sharia.

A 20-year old Muslim woman is caned under Sharia law in Banda Aceh in October last year after being caught in proximity with her boyfriend. (Pic: AFP/Chaideer Mahyuddin)
We’re a long way behind the UK, where dozens of separate Islamic courts are in operation, but Halal food regulation and sharia finance are an indication of creeping sharia, as is the phenomenon of radical Muslims refusing to stand for judges in court rooms.

Being a tolerant society does not mean we have to defend intolerant attitudes of sharia, particularly the inequality of women, which is evident in promotional posters for an Islamic conference in Melbourne in which the faces of male speakers were shown but the faces of female speakers were blacked out. Or the Victoria Police recruitment poster promising gender segregated information seminars.

Lambie’s style might be abrasive but it’s not Islamophobic to insist that everyone in this country should abide by Australian law.

Nor is it Islamophobic to question why someone who misrepresents the true nature of Sharia would end up at the tender age of 25 being the beneficiary of not one but two taxpayer funded junkets, the first being a trip to the ASEAN “emerging leaders” program in Malaysia in 2012.

A lot of Muslims in Australia have escaped from repressive cruel Islamist regimes. It’s not in their interests for Sharia apologists to be promoted by the government and the taxpayer funded ABC as the face of moderate Islam.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Was bouncing around YT and stumbled onto this. Thought a few 'pitters might appreciate...

[youtube][/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Brive1987 wrote:This fucking Pit rapture ...

sometimes paywalled so ....

<snip>

A lot of Muslims in Australia have escaped from repressive cruel Islamist regimes. It’s not in their interests for Sharia apologists to be promoted by the government and the taxpayer funded ABC as the face of moderate Islam.
:clap:

The "sharia requires people to follow the law of the land" argument is pure drivel.

Quran, Surah 5, verse 51:
O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Auliya' (friends, protectors, helpers, etc.), they are but Auliya' to one another. And if any amongst you takes them as Auliya', then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allah guides not those people who are the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers and unjust).
Auliya' can be translated as "friends" but also has "peers". This verse, if taken literally, means that muslims cannot obey to the laws of a non-muslim authority which considers muslims and non-muslims to be equal before the law. According to this verse muslims cannot be consider themselves to be equal to non-muslims. How can muslims be expected to follow the law of a non-muslim land?

Most muslims don't usually think too much about islam, they just repeat what their imams tell them. Some imams choose to interpret this verse creatively, by saying that it's about muslims not submitting to authoritarian or in general unjust regimes, but this "kinder, gentler" interpretation requires an equivocation of "Zalimun" as only meaning "wrong doers" (and not "heathens") and translating Auliya' as "guardian" or "patron". That's really, really pushing it, almost to Zvan's "parallel logic" levels.

Most traditionalist imams argue that the verse means that muslims cannot be obey to the laws of, or even actually be friends with, non-muslims. That's the likely original meaning anyway, Mo wasn't a fan of people not blindly obeying him and his religion.

Anyway, individual muslims can follow the law of the lands they live in, but muslim institutions really can't. That's why liberal democracies should never promote "community leaders" or "councils" or "associations". Don't give those people any recognition or power. Defend only individual rights, don't allow muslims to create lobbies and networks of political interests. Hold them accountable for what they say and do like everyone else, don't allow them to whine about "islamophobia" any time they're criticized, even bluntly.

A tour to promote Australia to MENA regime through a muslim australian is an incredibly stupid idea anyway.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Shatterface wrote:Meanwhile Brits can look forward to the BBC adaptation of Len Deighton's SS-GB tomorrow night so we get to experience what the UK would be like under Literally Hitler.
I love alternative history stuff, even though a lot of it seems obsessed with the Nazis. I'd love to see a really fucked up alternative history where PZ Myers is NOT an utter fucking cunt. That's unrealistic, however.

BTW, I can't believe anybody is surprised that Trump's presidency has being anything other than chaotic. The thing is, he does not help himself. He should learn that keeping your head down, and taking a pause, can be beneficial from time to time. Instead, he keeps shooting from the hip while angry and agitated at people. That will never go well.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Kirbmarc wrote:The "sharia requires people to follow the law of the land" argument is pure drivel.

O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Auliya' (friends, protectors, helpers, etc.), they are but Auliya' to one another. And if any amongst you takes them as Auliya', then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allah guides not those people who are the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers and unjust).
Auliya' can be translated as "friends" but also has "peers". This verse, if taken literally, means that muslims cannot obey to the laws of a non-muslim authority which considers muslims and non-muslims to be equal before the law. According to this verse muslims cannot be consider themselves to be equal to non-muslims. How can muslims be expected to follow the law of a non-muslim land?
Not trolling, not apologising for Islam (as if!), just a genuine question from someone who has only skimmed the Qur'an:

Is the above surah the "final" statement on the matter or is it abrogated by a "newer" surah which aligns more with the claim(s) made by the Muslim lady in the video?

(I'm seriously lacking in spoons or I'd look myself)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The ABC is desperate to find a powerful Muslim to parade as the articulate moderate voice - female and POC preferred.

Meanwhile the govt sees it as social cohesion glue - good enough for the next cycle.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Bhurzum wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:The "sharia requires people to follow the law of the land" argument is pure drivel.

Not trolling, not apologising for Islam (as if!), just a genuine question from someone who has only skimmed the Qur'an:

Is the above surah the "final" statement on the matter or is it abrogated by a "newer" surah which aligns more with the claim(s) made by the Muslim lady in the video?

Islam Today's conclusion (based on not breaking covenants is as clear as mud.
Muslims living in non-Muslim countries have to comply with laws and regulations of the country they have been entrusted though valid visas to enter. At the same time, they have to avoid whatever contradicts Islamic teachings. In case they are obliged by law to uphold something contrary to Islamic teachings, they have to adhere to the minimum that the law requires of them.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Linda Sarsour, and now this Aussie Sharia advocate, are good examples of people who have intersectional privilege.

They promote regressive systems that persecute women, but they are lauded for it from feminists and the regressive left.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Bhurzum wrote:

I can't find evidence of any other verse which is said to abrogate the one that I posted. Actually this verse is argued by some to abrogate other "kinder, gentler verses", since it's so categorical while the "kinder, gentler" ones have limits.

The points of contention are the meaning of Aulyia' ("friend" "peer" or "guardian"?) or of Zalimun ("heathens" or "wrong-doers"?) in this specific context-