Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by Steersman »

free thoughtpolice wrote:[.youtube][/youtube]
Quite a good video that, maybe not surprisingly, I largely agree with. Murica has its strengths - interesting post here from Canada Free Press ("Because without America, there is no free world") on Wilders that emphasizes the point - but hardly "innocent".

But surprisingly large number of people who insist that that comment of Trump's was tantamount to a claim of moral equivalence. My comment thereon with a couple of corroborating links for posterity:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Steersman wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Two happy thoughts.

1. PZ is down to 1 post a day this week.

2. The Orbit is coming to its 12 month point. Seed money must be down, no advertising, no online Con, no electronic "best (sic) of". Failing media.
So, how's the weather in your neck of the woods these days? ;-)

Anyone (in Australia) still denying that climate change is happening? :-)
Where I am shopping right now @ 5.00pm

"Beautiful mate".

http://i.imgur.com/7Zgz6nK.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

As we say:

"That's 108 degrees on the old scale"

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

It's 1 a.m. Im on a train home from 3 days of Fashion Week work. This year has been dry for work. I cant complain, because Im passively relying on whatever work is offered. Not seeking new gigs. The label sells plain jeans, flannels, coats... but with bigtime hype & (i assume) high prices. The event was an art show, a retrospective of their fashion photography. Lots of pics of celebrities wearing their rags. Seinfeld, Mark Hammill, Kate Moss, John Tuturro, Winona Ryder, Barishnikov-- who didnt pretend to remember me, when I mentioned knowing him back when I was involved in dance... but was politely friendly. And nodded when I name-dropped a mutual 'enemy', after mentioning our mutual friends. Thom Yorke from radiohead dj'ed to a room of a couple-hundred. There were models & free drinks with enormous ice cubes & tacos & cater-waiters who looked like a casting call to play Superboy or Superman.
Many attendees looked trendy, but I dont know who they are-- except that I hung fashion photos of them, so I guess they're fancy. 9 more subway stops, so Im going to keep rambling. In the last few hours before the show, I clashed quite a bit with the art currator. Mostly, she was vague giving instructions, letting a cluster of people all give contadictory input. But, to her credit, she was at-ease with however things turned-out. I snuck in some little visual in-jokes. Nothing obvious.. just things which might make someone wonder whether it was intentional. Like a pic of Mark Hammill hung so it looked like he was reading the explanatory text on the wall/ like the Star Wars text scroll, even. But in the last couple hours currator got scared I wouldnt hang all the art fast enough... & got involved hands-on, drafting bosses & lowly interns to 'help'. Adding manpower to an inefficient process doesnt speed things up... it multiplies disarray. Womanpower is even-worse! 3 more stops. A gal I used to date showed up. Then I had to go handle some party mes. When I returned, I came-up behind her & honked a boob... and had the wrong person! I apologised. My victim laughed. I introduced her to the real gal-- to prove it was a real mistake. Both laughed. I dont know if I was seen having too much fun on the clock. Bosses might object. Tho several of them were crazydrunk.

Until this gig, I have beeen going thru a withdrawn couple months. I feel like an insidious lame-ness has been growing in me. Returning to work revived me, but also brought out a cranky tantrum streak.... which also explains my angry jabs at Aneris, lately. I am not retracting what I said... but those posts were already time capsules when I posted. Snapshots of a mood I could feel rise & fade. I came-close to being the whiny crank guy at work.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

It's 1 a.m. Im on a train home from 3 days of Fashion Week work. This year has been dry for work. I cant complain, because Im passively relying on whatever work is offered. Not seeking new gigs. The label sells plain jeans, flannels, coats... but with bigtime hype & (i assume) high prices. The event was an art show, a retrospective of their fashion photography. Lots of pics of celebrities wearing their rags. Seinfeld, Mark Hammill, Kate Moss, John Tuturro, Winona Ryder, Barishnikov-- who didnt pretend to remember me, when I mentioned knowing him back when I was involved in dance... but was politely friendly. And nodded when I name-dropped a mutual 'enemy', after mentioning our mutual friends. Thom Yorke from radiohead dj'ed to a room of a couple-hundred. There were models & free drinks with enormous ice cubes & tacos & cater-waiters who looked like a casting call to play Superboy or Superman.
Many attendees looked trendy, but I dont know who they are-- except that I hung fashion photos of them, so I guess they're fancy. 9 more subway stops, so Im going to keep rambling. In the last few hours before the show, I clashed quite a bit with the art currator. Mostly, she was vague giving instructions, letting a cluster of people all give contadictory input. But, to her credit, she was at-ease with however things turned-out. I snuck in some little visual in-jokes. Nothing obvious.. just things which might make someone wonder whether it was intentional. Like a pic of Mark Hammill hung so it looked like he was reading the explanatory text on the wall/ like the Star Wars text scroll, even. But in the last couple hours currator got scared I wouldnt hang all the art fast enough... & got involved hands-on, drafting bosses & lowly interns to 'help'. Adding manpower to an inefficient process doesnt speed things up... it multiplies disarray. Womanpower is even-worse! 3 more stops. A gal I used to date showed up. Then I had to go handle some party mes. When I returned, I came-up behind her & honked a boob... and had the wrong person! I apologised. My victim laughed. I introduced her to the real gal-- to prove it was a real mistake. Both laughed. I dont know if I was seen having too much fun on the clock. Bosses might object. Tho several of them were crazydrunk.

Until this gig, I have beeen going thru a withdrawn couple months. I feel like an insidious lame-ness has been growing in me. Returning to work revived me, but also brought out a cranky tantrum streak.... which also explains my angry jabs at Aneris, lately. I am not retracting what I said... but those posts were already time capsules when I posted. Snapshots of a mood I could feel rise & fade. I came-close to being the whiny crank guy at work.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I voted for Trump because he was the alternative to letting a collection of free spenders, organisers, race baiters, intellectuals, tree huggers and professional value arbitrators continue to spend our grandchildren's money.

This country and this generation of voters must pay our bills and not sit around having dorm-room debates on philosophy and injustice. I voted for Trump because we can't afford another president we simply like; we need one who does something.

So, go ahead - rage, riot, demonstrate, burn, dress up, march, protest, pout, sing, make speeches, resist, vandalise and denounce me as much as you want.

I am deplorable, and I am happier with my vote every day.
:think:

Keating

Post by Keating »

Steersman wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Two happy thoughts.

1. PZ is down to 1 post a day this week.

2. The Orbit is coming to its 12 month point. Seed money must be down, no advertising, no online Con, no electronic "best (sic) of". Failing media.
So, how's the weather in your neck of the woods these days? ;-)

There were 2 40+ days in a row here in 2014, and I remember weeks like this from the 90s as the icing melted off my birthday cake.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

What about the great melt of '75 hey?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Mustn't have been Feb but ....

Keating

Post by Keating »

Canberra's usually hotter than Sydney. It's cooler right now.

Our hottest was 42.6 in 1968.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote:
I voted for Trump because he was the alternative to letting a collection of free spenders, organisers, race baiters, intellectuals, tree huggers and professional value arbitrators continue to spend our grandchildren's money.

This country and this generation of voters must pay our bills and not sit around having dorm-room debates on philosophy and injustice. I voted for Trump because we can't afford another president we simply like; we need one who does something.

So, go ahead - rage, riot, demonstrate, burn, dress up, march, protest, pout, sing, make speeches, resist, vandalise and denounce me as much as you want.

:D Commentary: I am a deplorable, and I'm happy I voted for Trump
:clap: ;)
http://www.trbimg.com/img-5894df11/turb ... 50/550x309

But somewhat apropos of which, a recent article by Ayaan Hirsi Ali in the Huffington Post:
Hirsi Ali wrote:Trump’s Immigration Ban Was Clumsy But He’s Right About Radical Islam

I was once a refugee, but I fear the storm over Trump’s executive order is distracting us from the threat that radical Islam poses within our borders.

I was a Muslim refugee once. I know what it’s like. I know what it’s like to gamble your entire future on a one-way ticket to a foreign land, what it’s like to fill in the forms, not knowing for sure what the right answers are. I know what it’s like to fear rejection, deportation and the dangers that await you back home.

Yet today I am an American citizen, one who has more reason than most to fear Islamic extremism. And that’s why I want to plead with my fellow Americans to calm down and think rationally about the dilemmas and trade-offs that we face. ....

President Trump was right back in August. The threat posed by “the hateful ideology of radical Islam” needs to be countered. American citizens — including immigrants — must be protected from that ideology and the violence that it promotes. But the threat is too multifaceted to be dealt with by executive orders. That is why Trump was right to argue in August for a commission of some kind — I would favor congressional hearings — to establish the full magnitude and nature of the threat.

Until we recognize that this ideology is already in our midst, we shall expend all our energies in feverish debates about executive orders, when what is needed is cool, comprehensive legislation.
Though I, and no few others, would argue that that "hateful ideology" is intrinsic to Islam itself, and that reformers such as Hirs Ali face a serious uphill battle in dealing with the "logical dilemma at the core of Islam", i.e., its dogmatic and blanket literalism.

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

Brive1987 wrote:

Let me try to help you figure that one out and clarify. Jeff Bust does not appear to have a college education. And while his ability to clearly communicate his thoughts for major publications is in question, I suspect he still knows what matters to him.

> free spenders

Democrats have always had a reputation for spending money we don't have. That is until G.W.Bush took over and blew the budgets way out of proportion mostly due to military war time spending. Most working class people who get their act together knows that taking on debt, especially lots of debt sacrifices tomorrows budgetary dollars for today's free living. Looking at their credit card statements, many have probably learned a lesson or two about how interest eats into your future. The only way out is to suck it up. Get a budget. And start paying down your debt. If they can do it, they sure as hell can't figure out why all the smart people in Washington can't suck it up a do what the working class has done themselves. Yes, the US has a debt problem. It is a major elephant in the room. And Trump may be the better option as he really isn't "Republican" or "Democrat." See: usdebtclock.org or Greece.

> organisers

I think he means Union Organizers. In the US, in many states, if you are hired for a job, you may be required to join the union and have your wages garnished. Local unions can do some great things for the worker, such has fighting for pay raises, making sure people are not fired without just cause, health, safety & good working conditions. But they can also have negative qualities. Unions at the national level tend to be corrupt, sucking in the money of the laborers without providing benefit (when local unions as for help they are often told that it is up to themselves), protecting the lazy worker, preventing the highly competent hard working skilled worker from getting raises, keeping dangerous people on the job, sacrificing the worker's health and safety to keep jobs. The control of information at the national level a power play intended to keep those in power.

> race baiters

Self explanatory I think. But strongly associated with the "Left" and democrats.

> intellectuals

Yeah, this guy is showing his working class roots. But all of the college education democrats have been scoffing at the stupid, uneducated working class folk. He has resentment for a reason. On one said, just because he doesn't have a college education doesn't mean he can't understand what his best interests are. And those are the same "intellectuals" trying to tell him that gender doesn't exist, there are more than two genders, and you can pick whichever one you want to identify as. Or hell just look at all of the insanity from the SJWs, and the stuff we laugh about here on a regular basis. The self proclaimed smart people have clearly lost their minds.

> tree huggers

Kind of gets used as a blanket term here in the US. People trying to stop logging. Preventing people from collecting rain water. PETA. Greenpeace. Earth Liberation Front radicals. Anti-GMO. Anti-Dakota pipeline protesters. Most have good intentions. But some go way too far, and don't think about issues and solutions on a practical scale.

> professional value arbitrators

Not sure about this one. Could mean professional mediators written into contract law.
https://americanbar.org/content/newslet ... enADR.html

Or he could mean politicans.

Or he could mean SJWs of the more professional level (editorialists) who try to dictate what should or should not be morals right think.

So although this guy doesn't have a college education, and can't communicate well, as in:
https://i.imgur.com/OFQ4JBb.jpg

He still knows that the politicians we have been voting in for a long time have not be representing his interests, or taking care of some of their core responsibilities.

Guest_84d94f98

Post by Guest_84d94f98 »

-Soylent

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Guest_84d94f98 wrote: > organisers

I think he means Union Organizers.
I think he means Obama. On right wing blogs like Instapundit, he's often referred to as a former "community organizer" in Chicago, with a very obvious "whatever that means" implication.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote:As we say:

"That's 108 degrees on the old scale"
I like my Aussies crispy/well-done, so this only tells me we need to burn more coal.

Drill baby drill.
Burn baby burn.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote:Mustn't have been Feb but ....
It's enough to make you want to move to New Zealand.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Steersman wrote:So, how's the weather in your neck of the woods these days? ;-)

Damn. 42-45 degrees. It is damn chili down in Aussieland during what should be your warmer months at the bottom of the world. /end-us-analysis.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

On the other note of Hell Freezing Over, Steersman just made a post that was fun, nonsensical and was engaging enough for people to reply. Perhaps Steersman would also do well if he lightened up on rehashing the same serious dreary topics over and over again, and instead did more fun non-serious stuff.

All Turing And No up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-start makes Steersman a dull boy.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
I think it would be hard to be more pointed than a Sykes-Fairbairn.
Do you have any other recommendations for anyone interested in stabbing Nazis?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

I now think Steersman should start a Twitch channel playing video games like Watson. He could be a cambot. Make sure to show off your diodes for more views.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Steersman wrote:But somewhat apropos of which, a recent article by Ayaan Hirsi Ali in the Huffington Post:
Hirsi Ali wrote:Trump’s Immigration Ban Was Clumsy But He’s Right About Radical Islam

I was once a refugee, but I fear the storm over Trump’s executive order is distracting us from the threat that radical Islam poses within our borders.

I was a Muslim refugee once. I know what it’s like. I know what it’s like to gamble your entire future on a one-way ticket to a foreign land, what it’s like to fill in the forms, not knowing for sure what the right answers are. I know what it’s like to fear rejection, deportation and the dangers that await you back home.

Yet today I am an American citizen, one who has more reason than most to fear Islamic extremism. And that’s why I want to plead with my fellow Americans to calm down and think rationally about the dilemmas and trade-offs that we face. ....

President Trump was right back in August. The threat posed by “the hateful ideology of radical Islam” needs to be countered. American citizens — including immigrants — must be protected from that ideology and the violence that it promotes. But the threat is too multifaceted to be dealt with by executive orders. That is why Trump was right to argue in August for a commission of some kind — I would favor congressional hearings — to establish the full magnitude and nature of the threat.

Until we recognize that this ideology is already in our midst, we shall expend all our energies in feverish debates about executive orders, when what is needed is cool, comprehensive legislation.
Though I, and no few others, would argue that that "hateful ideology" is intrinsic to Islam itself, and that reformers such as Hirs Ali face a serious uphill battle in dealing with the "logical dilemma at the core of Islam", i.e., its dogmatic and blanket literalism.
On a serious note, we know that some of the immigrants from these violent places and their children will try to commit acts of terrorism. I think a temporary pause makes sense.

The more we listen to the experts and the people deep into the fray, the more we hear that there is no good way to identify the terrorist.

(Calling Dr. Richard D. Carrier PhD & his Bayesian filters that solves Jesus & the quantum universe).

Perhaps instead of just trying to filter out the bad people, we focus on only letting in the known good people. We do this with computer programs, IP addresses & email all of the time. A simple white list. So yes, maybe it does make sense to let the persecuted Christians in, as they won't go on acts of jihad. So maybe yes, it makes sense to ban all people who do not have all of their papers and who's stories cannot be verified. It is less than we could let in if we risk letting terrorists in. But it is more than we could if we banned certain countries all together.

Jack Wooster

Post by Jack Wooster »

Bhurzum wrote: Should be interesting.
This fills me with nostalgia for the 'good old days' of Atheism.

Jack Wooster

Post by Jack Wooster »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Oh boy...just got round to listening to that Sam Harris podcast with Jordan Peterson, which I think somebody on here mentioned a while back. They get bogged down on one little, but very important contention (the usual "what is truth"), and they can't move past it for the next hour and a half.

Sam came up with a 173 scenarios involving smallpox, and just couldn't get Peterson to see what he was getting at.

Very strange conversation.

Meanwhile, Lalo Dagach has interviewed Dan Arel. I think he has questioned him on his news involving punching Nazis. Should be an interesting listen when it goes up.
It does get frustrating as they fail to move on, but Sam is really good at coming up with off the cuff hypotheticals to try to demonstrate his point.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

deLurch wrote:I now think Steersman should start a Twitch channel playing video games like Watson. He could be a cambot. Make sure to show off your diodes for more views.
Please. Our resident silicon based lifeform is just barely getting to grips with the human concept of humour. I think the idea of playing games simply for the sake of it might be well beyond him.

'A rather unproductive waste of time, if you don't mind my saying so; especially in an age where it is imperative that we ban muslims, deport the fucking lot, and nuke Mecca.'

John D

Post by John D »

Jack Wooster wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Oh boy...just got round to listening to that Sam Harris podcast with Jordan Peterson, which I think somebody on here mentioned a while back. They get bogged down on one little, but very important contention (the usual "what is truth"), and they can't move past it for the next hour and a half.

Sam came up with a 173 scenarios involving smallpox, and just couldn't get Peterson to see what he was getting at.

Meanwhile, Lalo Dagach has interviewed Dan Arel. I think he has questioned him on his news involving punching Nazis. Should be an interesting listen when it goes up.
It does get frustrating as they fail to move on, but Sam is really good at coming up with off the cuff hypotheticals to try to demonstrate his point.
Harris is pretty pragmatic while Peterson, on the other hand, is an affirmed navel gazer. They spent at least a half hour discussing the definition of truth. Peterson took a strange non-materialistic approach claiming that truth is anything that pushes humans toward survival. Harris is like... "Um... why don't you use another word instead of redefining a perfectly good one?" Peterson is an odd duck.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

John D wrote:Harris is pretty pragmatic while Peterson, on the other hand, is an affirmed navel gazer. They spent at least a half hour discussing the definition of truth. Peterson took a strange non-materialistic approach claiming that truth is anything that pushes humans toward survival. Harris is like... "Um... why don't you use another word instead of redefining a perfectly good one?" Peterson is an odd duck.
Peterson's definition of truth is a purely utilitarian one, which has has the huge problem that it's largely subjective. What pushes someone towards survival may be what pushes someone else towards death.

Hell, using Peterson's own definition of truth you can argue against Peterson's own stance on "special pronouns".

Peterson's definition of truth: Truth is anything that pushes humans towards survival.

Premise 1: "Special pronouns" prevent people who identify through them from feeling bad.

Premise 2: If people are prevented from feeling bad, they have less chances of committing suicide.

Conclusion 1: Thus "special pronouns" decreases the chances of people committing suicide.

Premise 3: What decreases the chance of people committing suicide pushes humans towards survival.

Conclusion 2: "Special pronouns" push some humans towards survival.

Conclusion 3: Therefore "special pronouns" are part of truth.

Peterson's utilitarian definition of truth doesn't seem to be very useful at proving his own points.

Peterson strikes me as someone who gets great emotional benefits from religion and sees it as beneficial for everyone else, a bit like someone who gets great emotional benefits from yoga and sees it as beneficial for everyone else. He's not really interested in defending the truth of religion, he's interested in promoting its benefits. He'd do a better a better job at arguing if he stuck to promoting religion as beneficial instead of trying to muddle the concept of truth.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

MarcusAu wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
I think it would be hard to be more pointed than a Sykes-Fairbairn.
Do you have any other recommendations for anyone interested in stabbing Nazis?
Just daggers? I'd go with the Cold Steel Tai Pan:
Tai Pan 1 (2).jpg
(247.74 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
Tai Pan 2 (2).jpg
(268.06 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Wide, hollow ground blade, sturdy tip, comfy handle, & almost half as sexy as the Limey dagger.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

"He Will Not Divide Us" has come to an end.

http://pagesix.com/2017/02/10/museum-sh ... p-exhibit/

It was fun while it lasted!

jg64

Post by jg64 »

I hear that Josh is bringing back Kiwi Farms. Likeicare from Encyclopaedia Dramatica, says he was in a discussion and believes that if Josh brings back The Farms, someone will cause physical harm to his mam.

:popcorn:

https://kiwifarms.net/

https://forum.encyclopediadramatica.se/ ... 3/page-219

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

John D wrote:
Jack Wooster wrote:

Harris is pretty pragmatic while Peterson, on the other hand, is an affirmed navel gazer. They spent at least a half hour discussing the definition of truth. Peterson took a strange non-materialistic approach claiming that truth is anything that pushes humans toward survival. Harris is like... "Um... why don't you use another word instead of redefining a perfectly good one?" Peterson is an odd duck.
Yeah I also sat through that podcast. It's as if Truth was being defined by Petersen as "Whatever seems to work for me and gets you through the night " but he couldnt admit that , and even if he did, it would make it virtually meaningless.
Also Survival to me could imply a kind of genetic imperative ie evolution but IIRC JD started at the beginning talking about Newtonian vs Darwinian stuff but I couldnt see where that fitted in or how they would be in conflict. A muddle.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

John D wrote: Harris is pretty pragmatic while Peterson, on the other hand, is an affirmed navel gazer. They spent at least a half hour discussing the definition of truth. Peterson took a strange non-materialistic approach claiming that truth is anything that pushes humans toward survival. Harris is like... "Um... why don't you use another word instead of redefining a perfectly good one?" Peterson is an odd duck.
Half an hour? The spent the entire fucking time discussing the definition of truth. Peterson isn't an odd duck, he's an idiot. At least on this point.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:"He Will Not Divide Us" has come to an end.

http://pagesix.com/2017/02/10/museum-sh ... p-exhibit/

It was fun while it lasted!
Does that mean that the Trumpocracy has been defeated? Cool!

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:Peterson's definition of truth is a purely utilitarian one, which has has the huge problem that it's largely subjective. What pushes someone towards survival may be what pushes someone else towards death.
its not just a matter of personal survival.

Success in evolutionary terms is success in passing on your genes. Most trans aren't going to have kids. Those who go full trans are Darwining themselves out of the gene pool.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Peterson's definition of truth is a purely utilitarian one, which has has the huge problem that it's largely subjective. What pushes someone towards survival may be what pushes someone else towards death.

Success in evolutionary terms is success in passing on your genes. Most trans aren't going to have kids. Those who go full trans are Darwining themselves out of the gene pool.
Well then Genghis Khan was the most true individual in his history!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Kirbmarc wrote:
John D wrote:Harris is pretty pragmatic while Peterson, on the other hand, is an affirmed navel gazer. They spent at least a half hour discussing the definition of truth. Peterson took a strange non-materialistic approach claiming that truth is anything that pushes humans toward survival. Harris is like... "Um... why don't you use another word instead of redefining a perfectly good one?" Peterson is an odd duck.
Peterson's definition of truth is a purely utilitarian one, which has has the huge problem that it's largely subjective. What pushes someone towards survival may be what pushes someone else towards death.

Hell, using Peterson's own definition of truth you can argue against Peterson's own stance on "special pronouns".

Peterson's definition of truth: Truth is anything that pushes humans towards survival.

Premise 1: "Special pronouns" prevent people who identify through them from feeling bad.

Premise 2: If people are prevented from feeling bad, they have less chances of committing suicide.

Conclusion 1: Thus "special pronouns" decreases the chances of people committing suicide.

Premise 3: What decreases the chance of people committing suicide pushes humans towards survival.

Conclusion 2: "Special pronouns" push some humans towards survival.

Conclusion 3: Therefore "special pronouns" are part of truth.

Peterson's utilitarian definition of truth doesn't seem to be very useful at proving his own points.

Peterson strikes me as someone who gets great emotional benefits from religion and sees it as beneficial for everyone else, a bit like someone who gets great emotional benefits from yoga and sees it as beneficial for everyone else. He's not really interested in defending the truth of religion, he's interested in promoting its benefits. He'd do a better a better job at arguing if he stuck to promoting religion as beneficial instead of trying to muddle the concept of truth.
Peterson says the most attractive man& woman are the ones most equiped to survive across all-possible scenarios. So it doesnt work to point, as Harris did, to ultra-rare single instances, like optimum number of body hairs to survive a killer who kills all with the wrong number. Peterson is saying it's 'true' that the best guy is the one who is strong-enough to survive in Most Cases were strength is required... but not so strong his muscles calorie demands in Most Cases would starve him. The best truth is the same.

Harris is free to disagree, but he's obtuse for not being abole to coprehend Peterson's view. The =true= path is the one Most Likely to get you to goal... even if in some rare examples another path might perform better.

pwterson acknowledge s both versions... his focus is on which form of truth is nested inside the other.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

Well then Genghis Khan was the most true individual in his history!
I'm guessing that Peterson hasn't watched Idiocracy.

Have y'all watched Idiocracy? If not, I can't recommend highly enough. An aposite clip:

[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

jg64 wrote:I hear that Josh is bringing back Kiwi Farms. Likeicare from Encyclopaedia Dramatica, says he was in a discussion and believes that if Josh brings back The Farms, someone will cause physical harm to his mam.

Isn't the Vordrak dude that has been accused of being one of the people that harassed Josh's family the same person as Matthew Hopkins Witchfinder, the same person that went after oolon and his blockbot?

jg64

Post by jg64 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
jg64 wrote:I hear that Josh is bringing back Kiwi Farms. Likeicare from Encyclopaedia Dramatica, says he was in a discussion and believes that if Josh brings back The Farms, someone will cause physical harm to his mam.

Isn't the Vordrak dude that has been accused of being one of the people that harassed Josh's family the same person as Matthew Hopkins Witchfinder, the same person that went after oolon and his blockbot?
Yeah, it's the same person, he also writes to people using his own name, which I won't write here, in case I'm doxing.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Is Merkel going to start kicking Muslims out?

Interesting.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

deLurch wrote:
Steersman wrote:But somewhat apropos of which, a recent article by Ayaan Hirsi Ali in the Huffington Post:

On a serious note, we know that some of the immigrants from these violent places and their children will try to commit acts of terrorism. I think a temporary pause makes sense.

The more we listen to the experts and the people deep into the fray, the more we hear that there is no good way to identify the terrorist.

(Calling Dr. Richard D. Carrier PhD & his Bayesian filters that solves Jesus & the quantum universe).

Perhaps instead of just trying to filter out the bad people, we focus on only letting in the known good people. We do this with computer programs, IP addresses & email all of the time. A simple white list. So yes, maybe it does make sense to let the persecuted Christians in, as they won't go on acts of jihad. So maybe yes, it makes sense to ban all people who do not have all of their papers and who's stories cannot be verified. It is less than we could let in if we risk letting terrorists in. But it is more than we could if we banned certain countries all together.
And how do you identify the Christians? Once it's announced, you might get run of the mill morons who might get angry and do something, but does anyone think that would stop a determined terrorist? All they have to do is pretend and they get a pass.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

[youtube][/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

Flavored vodka empowers women.

Somehow.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Really? wrote:Flavored vodka empowers women.

Somehow.
Old news, man.

http://www.theonion.com/article/women-n ... -does-1398

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Absolute went SJW some time back.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... b5d505.jpg

It's not rape if someone is passed out on vodka.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Legion episode 1 is pretty awesome.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

deLurch wrote:
Steersman wrote:So, how's the weather in your neck of the woods these days? ;-)

[.tweet][/tweet]

Damn. 42-45 degrees. It is damn chili down in Aussieland during what should be your warmer months at the bottom of the world. /end-us-analysis.

I think it's sweet the yanks use the motherlands imperial system. Same way the national erection that emerged when the Brits burned the White House was endearing rather than creepy.

Never find Australia going retro.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... 60-h165-nc

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Isn't the Vordrak dude that has been accused of being one of the people that harassed Josh's family the same person as Matthew Hopkins Witchfinder, the same person that went after oolon and his blockbot?
Yes. He is a tad bit obsessive.

Keating

Post by Keating »

This is a good explainer of the philosophical difference between Peterson and Harris:

http://blog.paulmckeever.ca/uncategoriz ... t-is-true/

Keating

Post by Keating »

Hey Brive, what are you doing in the heat today? Another visit by the in-laws?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Shatterface wrote:Absolute went SJW some time back.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... b5d505.jpg
It's not rape if someone is passed out on vodka.
Eh, marketing to the gay community. A little bit of weak virtue signally in the form of an advertisement to curry favor and business. Many companies have been doing that in gay magazines for a long time. Not much different than marketing targeted towards the black community. It is just an easy way to make a few extra bucks. They are not doing anything horrible or shitting on people.

ffs

Post by ffs »

Interesting Godless Spellchecker podcast with Matt Dillahunty, if it hasn't been posted yet.

https://www.gspellchecker.com/2017/02/e ... -violence/

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

"Bopping to Pink."

Peez is signalling his hipness at the kids again. He knows Pink, so all you haters throwing shade at Gaga need to step off. That ain't Pink and what you're doing ain't right.

http://imgur.com/Pw8E7io.jpg

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Ape+lust wrote:"Bopping to Pink."

Peez is signalling his hipness at the kids again. He knows Pink, so all you haters throwing shade at Gaga need to step off. That ain't Pink and what you're doing ain't right.

http://imgur.com/Pw8E7io.jpg
PZ works out at the gym?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Suet Cardigan wrote:PZ works out at the gym?
Yeah, that's another things he's made a point of mentioning regularly for the month or so he's been going. He's all about signalling. Watch for his opinions on creatine soon.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Ape+lust wrote:"Bopping to Pink."
Does "bopping" mean clutching your chest whilst leaning against the nearest wall?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/fac ... nnnnng.jpg

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Com'on, people. Think. "Booping to Pink" + "little work out" = "fapping" when it's PZ.

Really?

Post by Really? »

ffs wrote:Interesting Godless Spellchecker podcast with Matt Dillahunty, if it hasn't been posted yet.

https://www.gspellchecker.com/2017/02/e ... -violence/
Thanks for the post. It sounds like Dilly is trying to play both sides.

He acknowledges "privilege," but also makes it clear "privilege" is not an argument.

He opposes the Nazi suckerpunch stuff and seems to criticize the SJWs who think it's okay.

He says he doesn't believe in "intent isn't magic." He calls it a "mantra."

He's also trying to have it both ways on the Milo stuff. He doesn't seem to understand that his speaking gigs are equally at risk.

I haven't listened to him since the Atheist Experience went full SJW. Have any of them come to their senses? This podcast isn't making me want to go back to listening to him.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Keating wrote:Hey Brive, what are you doing in the heat today? Another visit by the in-laws?

The Horror, The Horror.

No. I've been out back since 6.00am with the dog.

Bit hot now, probably go to the Art Gallery. Et tu?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

"Bopping to Pink".

Lol.

PZ Myers - You dirty fucker. You dirty fucking rotter, you.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Brive1987 wrote:
Keating wrote:Hey Brive, what are you doing in the heat today? Another visit by the in-laws?

The Horror, The Horror.

No. I've been out back since 6.00am with the dog.

Bit hot now, probably go to the Art Gallery. Et tu?
Hanging out at shopping centres for me.