The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Really?

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Really? »

Hey, look who sanitized Richard Carrier's Wiki page to remove the allegations of sexual harassment?

Brian Pansky.

On the talk page, he justifies it thus:
Wikipedia says:
This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Take extra care to use high-quality sources. Material about living persons should not be added when the only sourcing is tabloid journalism.
Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to this noticeboard.
I'm not sure this article is currently living up to those standards. Note, we are indeed dealing with potentially libellous material. Some of the sources being used are blogs. I think they fall under the category of "Self-Published Sources", and should thus be removed. I think the Skepticon news item falls under this category too.

We can sort the details out here. For now I've removed these items on these grounds, as requested by the quoted Wikipedia guideline.BrianPansky (talk) 04:28, 17 August 2016 (UTC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =734857410

Really?

Post by Really? »

And if you're in the mood for more Dick, the podcast Atheistically Speaking posted a podcast in which a guest responds to Carrier's expert opinion of evo psych, which is pretty much what he got his doctorate in.

http://atheisticallyspeaking.com/as265- ... sychology/

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

My life has taken an odd turn. This burst of work has cured my recent mental sluggishness. I wield a dustpan and loaf on a forklift (which hasnt been turned a single time yet). But Im being told to buy an edgy but not-to-edgy black suit, to work inside super-exclusive events, soon. One guy doing my exact job is a successful male model, face of a top label for 7 years & target of paparazzi, because he's 'seen with' a big pop star (like, on a par with Rihanna or Lady Gaga). The other guy doing same job looks like Iggy Pop & is an ex-junkie with many short stints at Riker's Island prison. He was raised with people like Lenny Bruce, Samuel Beckett, William S. Burroughs, blacklisted communists his parents' home. He's like the Last Beat, or something. They've decided I'm the right kind of mutant to keep around. Due to my life-stories & antics.

Every day a rich guy in a suit smokes a couple inches of giant cigar in-front of his office building & throws the remaining 7 inches into the street. Last 2 days, Ive been awaiting him & retrieved it. Internet sez the brand is $250 for a box of 20.

On one hand, we are the lowest dregs of our workplace. On the other hand, we're perfectly positioned to strike the classic pose of being Too Cool For School... like the fashion world is ours for the taking/ but we cant be bothered, because setting up traffic cones & making sure there's enough toilet paper in the crapper is where it's reallly at, maaaaan. I literally whitewashed a fence today! Every boy should experience that!

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Really? wrote:Hey, look who sanitized Richard Carrier's Wiki page to remove the allegations of sexual harassment?

Brian Pansky.
On Facebook and twitter when this all blew up Pansky was on Team Carrier all the way. I haven't looked into it but it does appear he has switched 'sides'. Guilty conscience perhaps? Worried he might find himself in the ally firing line? I didn't care enough to look further into the why.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

I remember the days when I could smoke a few inches and still have seven left. But my new health insurance doesn't cover blue pills.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Really? wrote:And if you're in the mood for more Dick, the podcast Atheistically Speaking posted a podcast in which a guest responds to Carrier's expert opinion of evo psych, which is pretty much what he got his doctorate in.

This podcast, compared to the one feat. Dr. Carrier will live forever in the annals of great moments in Dunning-Krueger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Bet that smarted. Nothing these attention whores hate more than being 'ordinary'.

Notice they never manage to have a proper overdose? How hard can it be? People do it accidentally all the time.
I've heard it said that men commit suicide 4-1 to women, only because they are so much more resourceful and successful when it comes to the attempt. Don't know if true or not. If true, it is probably "sexist" to point it out, since it implies men are better at a certain task (i.e. suicide) than women......

:whistle:
I've heard it said that women make more attempts but men are more successful, which might be explained by attention-seeking on the part of those who attempt and fail.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Sunder wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Bet that smarted. Nothing these attention whores hate more than being 'ordinary'.

Notice they never manage to have a proper overdose? How hard can it be? People do it accidentally all the time.
I've heard it said that men commit suicide 4-1 to women, only because they are so much more resourceful and successful when it comes to the attempt. Don't know if true or not. If true, it is probably "sexist" to point it out, since it implies men are better at a certain task (i.e. suicide) than women......

I've heard it said that women make more attempts but men are more successful, which might be explained by attention-seeking on the part of those who attempt and fail.
That and the methods. Men use guns and ropes. Women use pills.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Kirbmarc wrote:The Leslie Jones doxx and privacy violation was ethically messed up. I don't care how hateful someone is, or how much of a crybully they are, if they're not threatening anyone or falsely accusing anyone they don't deserve to be punished, and even those who do those things (which isn't the case with Jones as far as I know, all I've read from her are dumb ideas) should be prosecuted by the justice system, not dealt with by Internet vigilantism.

Doxxing is wrong, people, with no "ifs" or "buts".
Oh yeah? So if you could go back in time and doxx Hitler as a baby, you wouldn't do it?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:The Leslie Jones doxx and privacy violation was ethically messed up. I don't care how hateful someone is, or how much of a crybully they are, if they're not threatening anyone or falsely accusing anyone they don't deserve to be punished, and even those who do those things (which isn't the case with Jones as far as I know, all I've read from her are dumb ideas) should be prosecuted by the justice system, not dealt with by Internet vigilantism.

Oh yeah? So if you could go back in time and doxx Hitler as a baby, you wouldn't do it?
Why is it always killing baby Hitler? He doesn't even really get interested until after WWI.

I think people just want an excuse to kill a baby.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote:My life has taken an odd turn. This burst of work has cured my recent mental sluggishness. I wield a dustpan and loaf on a forklift (which hasnt been turned a single time yet). But Im being told to buy an edgy but not-to-edgy black suit, to work inside super-exclusive events, soon. One guy doing my exact job is a successful male model, face of a top label for 7 years & target of paparazzi, because he's 'seen with' a big pop star (like, on a par with Rihanna or Lady Gaga). The other guy doing same job looks like Iggy Pop & is an ex-junkie with many short stints at Riker's Island prison. He was raised with people like Lenny Bruce, Samuel Beckett, William S. Burroughs, blacklisted communists his parents' home. He's like the Last Beat, or something. They've decided I'm the right kind of mutant to keep around. Due to my life-stories & antics.

Every day a rich guy in a suit smokes a couple inches of giant cigar in-front of his office building & throws the remaining 7 inches into the street. Last 2 days, Ive been awaiting him & retrieved it. Internet sez the brand is $250 for a box of 20.

On one hand, we are the lowest dregs of our workplace. On the other hand, we're perfectly positioned to strike the classic pose of being Too Cool For School... like the fashion world is ours for the taking/ but we cant be bothered, because setting up traffic cones & making sure there's enough toilet paper in the crapper is where it's reallly at, maaaaan. I literally whitewashed a fence today! Every boy should experience that!
It sounds like you are one step away from becoming a character in a William Gibson novel.

Well - Good Luck!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

katamari Damassi wrote: Oh yeah? So if you could go back in time and doxx Hitler as a baby, you wouldn't do it?
I would dox that little fucker so hard - that he would know for certain whether or not he had a Jewish grandparent.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Service Dog wrote:My life has taken an odd turn. This burst of work has cured my recent mental sluggishness. I wield a dustpan and loaf on a forklift (which hasnt been turned a single time yet). But Im being told to buy an edgy but not-to-edgy black suit, to work inside super-exclusive events, soon. One guy doing my exact job is a successful male model, face of a top label for 7 years & target of paparazzi, because he's 'seen with' a big pop star (like, on a par with Rihanna or Lady Gaga). The other guy doing same job looks like Iggy Pop & is an ex-junkie with many short stints at Riker's Island prison. He was raised with people like Lenny Bruce, Samuel Beckett, William S. Burroughs, blacklisted communists his parents' home. He's like the Last Beat, or something. They've decided I'm the right kind of mutant to keep around. Due to my life-stories & antics.

Brother, attitude is everything.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Really? wrote:And if you're in the mood for more Dick, the podcast Atheistically Speaking posted a podcast in which a guest responds to Carrier's expert opinion of evo psych, which is pretty much what he got his doctorate in.

This is much less painful to listen to than the Smalley discussion. About halfway through and looking forward to hearing the follow-up as well.

Regarding Leslie Jones: Even if I have a hard time mustering sympathy for her, what happened is still wrong. It's just too bad we don't have Gawker around to explain why this is in the public interest and totally newsworthy.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Spike13 wrote:

Brother, attitude is everything.

That comment is too sweet!

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Over on mumsnet the trans-allies have arrived. It's all so quintessentially British...
This entire thread is terribly frightening. You all sound ridiculous...like dinosaurs.

I've reported it and if MNHQ don't take it down and ban those worst on it, then I shall leave forever and will be happy to be away from a forum which allows such hate filled, ignorant, misinformed BILE to remain.

I won't be back so rant at me all you like.
MNHQ, I hope you know that not everyone thinks the same way as those on this thread.

I too find the attitudes shown here to be largely disgusting.

It's not representative of wider MN (and society as a whole).
'largely disgusting', 'terribly frightening' :lol: :lol:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/ ... read?pg=14

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Wouldn't it be amusing if the "death threats" received by Ada Wells were something like "I hope you die today" such that calling them "death threats" was an admission of s/h/it's own death threats against cops?
It would be especially sweet if the only 'threat' was 'the same to you!' in response to the 'I hope more cops die today' tweet.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Transwomen have took over practically every other space occupied by women so it's not surprising they think a forum for mothers should belong to them too.

Meanwhile the transwomen incursion into cis-male space is practically zero.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Shit, meant transmen incursion.

Couch

Post by Couch »

Today I agree with Marjiid Narwaz about the burquini kerfuffle:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -wars.html

The burquini was invented just near where I live and functions perfectly well on all the beaches and pools around here. Vast improvement on the poor lasses have to steam on the sand in a confronting black body- tent whist their kids and hairy-arsed men frolick in the cool clear waters.

I'm not oblivious that feelings are raw in France.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

So bored. Went to Amazon to see if they had anything good on Prime.

They are doing a test for a new Tick show. Just started watching it.

The first two lines spoken on screen are "your reindeer are on fire", "shit".

So yeah promising start.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

The new Tick pilot stars Peter Serafinowicz.

That's all the reason anyone needs to see it.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Sunder wrote:The new Tick pilot stars Peter Serafinowicz.

That's all the reason anyone needs to see it.

I just saw his first scene. He seems to be going for a manic Adam West and it good.

They seem to be focusing on Arthur as the protagonist which is smart.

Really?

Post by Really? »

HunnyBunny wrote:Over on mumsnet the trans-allies have arrived. It's all so quintessentially British...
This entire thread is terribly frightening. You all sound ridiculous...like dinosaurs.

I've reported it and if MNHQ don't take it down and ban those worst on it, then I shall leave forever and will be happy to be away from a forum which allows such hate filled, ignorant, misinformed BILE to remain.

I won't be back so rant at me all you like.
MNHQ, I hope you know that not everyone thinks the same way as those on this thread.

I too find the attitudes shown here to be largely disgusting.

It's not representative of wider MN (and society as a whole).
'largely disgusting', 'terribly frightening' :lol: :lol:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/ ... read?pg=14
I always thought British people were smarter than Americans.
Transgenderism operates as anti-gay eugenics.

Children should never be sterilized in the name of gender, that is evil.

Men can't turn into women, I will call men "he" and women "she".

Women don’t have penises, lesbians don’t want penises.

Radical feminism is the future.

I am Sillagicus, banish me too.
Anti-gay eugenics, y'all!

Guest_935516df

Post by Guest_935516df »

Shatterface wrote:Transwomen have took over practically every other space occupied by women so it's not surprising they think a forum for mothers should belong to them too.

Meanwhile the transmen incursion into cis-male space is practically zero.
How do you know? Perhaps the transmen are sane and reasonable so they just blend in, instead of trying to make all sorts of special rules to focus on just them?
-Soylent

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think 'Incursion of the Transmen' was an episode of Doctor Who.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Sunder wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:

I lost count of the number of girls I have known who attempted to commit suicide... this used to happen a lot when i was younger, now I am a mother, I find out about my daughter's friends attempting suicide. And yet, I have not ever come across a single example when they haven't first phoned a friend, posted it on facebook, tumbler, or otherwise informed somebody who can get the message to the guy they are committing suicide over. Girls who don't have a guy to commit suicide over seem to get into cutting instead... again, this is never kept secret and proudly displayed on instagram. I'm sick of it.

I know two young men who committed suicide. Both without warning. This makes me furious too.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

I don't think anyone in the circles we would move in would disagree with you except maybe Devon Tracy. This wasn't "our side" that did this, if politics was enough to bring down the wrath of the kind of people that do this, then there are targets far more deserving. As I pointed out, this was far more of a middle finger at Twitter. That and the fact that she was a high profile lolcow. And that they managed to get the good on her.

I am not hearing anyone justify it, just a whole lot of people saying they ain't losing any sleep over it, unless they actually saw the nudes. Although a few have said that they now respect her more now they know she takes it up the ass.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Sunder wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:

Women commit more domestic violence but cause less damage; women attempt suicide more often but succeed less frequently.

Clearly, this is an intolerable state of inequality. Women must be trained to be more effective at violence and killing themselves.

/blackhumor

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Hunt wrote:
Women commit more domestic violence but cause less damage; women attempt suicide more often but succeed less frequently.

Clearly, this is an intolerable state of inequality. Women must be trained to be more effective at violence and killing themselves.

/blackhumor
HEOJs.gif
(500.17 KiB) Downloaded 200 times

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I have taught you well.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Really? wrote:Hey, look who sanitized Richard Carrier's Wiki page to remove the allegations of sexual harassment?

Brian Pansky.

On the talk page, he justifies it thus:
Wikipedia says:
This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Take extra care to use high-quality sources. Material about living persons should not be added when the only sourcing is tabloid journalism.
Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to this noticeboard.
I'm not sure this article is currently living up to those standards. Note, we are indeed dealing with potentially libellous material. Some of the sources being used are blogs. I think they fall under the category of "Self-Published Sources", and should thus be removed. I think the Skepticon news item falls under this category too.

We can sort the details out here. For now I've removed these items on these grounds, as requested by the quoted Wikipedia guideline.BrianPansky (talk) 04:28, 17 August 2016 (UTC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =734857410
This is the information that BrianPansky has memory-holed (for now):
On June 20, 2016, the organizers of Skepticon announced on their web site that they are officially prohibiting Richard Carrier from attending any future Skepticon meetings due to allegations that he had engaged in "sexual harassment, unwelcome attention, and/or unwanted behavior"."[3] Carrier had been a frequent speaker at these annual meetings. This action came on the heels of the revelation that a complaint of sexual harassment and unwanted touching had been made against Carrier by a student attending a meeting of the Secular Student Alliance that Carrier was a speaker at; an incident that led the SSA to remove Carrier from their official speaker's list.[55] Carrier has disputed the allegations against him, and has claimed that he has been defamed in a post on his blog.[56] His blog at Freethought Blogs (FtB) was initially suspended pending an investigation by the FtB ethics committee, and he subsequently voluntarily removed his blog from that site and left the organization.[2]
It looks as if Carrier's fanboys have learned well from their little master how to be intellectually dishonest. Inconvenient facts? Just pretend they aren't there. It's what Sticky Dicky, the Independent Scholar, would do. And yet more proof that you can't trust Wikipedia.

Couch

Post by Couch »

VickyCaramel wrote:

I don't think anyone in the circles we would move in would disagree with you except maybe Devon Tracy. This wasn't "our side" that did this, if politics was enough to bring down the wrath of the kind of people that do this, then there are targets far more deserving. As I pointed out, this was far more of a middle finger at Twitter. That and the fact that she was a high profile lolcow. And that they managed to get the good on her.

I am not hearing anyone justify it, just a whole lot of people saying they ain't losing any sleep over it, unless they actually saw the nudes. Although a few have said that they now respect her more now they know she takes it up the ass.
She's obviously not classically beautiful but has curves in the right places. Would prob go there.

I'm still staggered (almost as much as my friends) at the range, size, age, race, culture and socio-economic circumstances of who I find attractive. In truth, I find most women attractive.

I will note for the record the last picture reminds me of the two truths about bummies: best done drunk and almost always improved in the remembering.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Jan Steen wrote: This is the information that BrianPansky has memory-holed (for now):
On June 20, 2016, the organizers of Skepticon announced on their web site that they are officially prohibiting Richard Carrier from attending any future Skepticon meetings due to allegations that he had engaged in "sexual harassment, unwelcome attention, and/or unwanted behavior"."[3] Carrier had been a frequent speaker at these annual meetings. This action came on the heels of the revelation that a complaint of sexual harassment and unwanted touching had been made against Carrier by a student attending a meeting of the Secular Student Alliance that Carrier was a speaker at; an incident that led the SSA to remove Carrier from their official speaker's list.[55] Carrier has disputed the allegations against him, and has claimed that he has been defamed in a post on his blog.[56] His blog at Freethought Blogs (FtB) was initially suspended pending an investigation by the FtB ethics committee, and he subsequently voluntarily removed his blog from that site and left the organization.[2]
It looks as if Carrier's fanboys have learned well from their little master how to be intellectually dishonest. Inconvenient facts? Just pretend they aren't there. It's what Sticky Dicky, the Independent Scholar, would do. And yet more proof that you can't trust Wikipedia.
I expect Wikipedia are ok with this because Skepticon have memory-holed their accusation. 404'd like it never was -'Now please don't sue us Mr Carrier PhD..''

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

VickyCaramel wrote:

I'm no Clarence Darrow, or even a Spencer Tracey - but I think at times someone needs to defend the indefensible (or the guilty) - that's what happens in court after all.

Doxing - means associating identifying information about a particular individual to an internet profile (to frame it in neutral terms). It is an internet neologism and is not illegal, though it some circumstances it can be a precursor to harm - ie swatting, identity theft, being identified as an atheist (or of the wrong religion) in the wrong place, or being a target of attempts to get you fired.

What happened to Jones was an invasion of privacy and possibly theft - which is illegal and immoral too. (Which should be pretty damn obvious to everyone).

I would hope that we can agree - that this can and should be covered under existing laws - ie that a special new UN directive is not needed to deal with it.

nb I like Devon Tracey (or at least his content) - at least to the point where I find it repetitive - at which point I watch something else.

nnb To show that I can virtue signal with the best of them - no I do not support doxing or invasion of privacy.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Couch wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

She's obviously not classically beautiful but has curves in the right places. Would prob go there.

I'm still staggered (almost as much as my friends) at the range, size, age, race, culture and socio-economic circumstances of who I find attractive. In truth, I find most women attractive.

I will note for the record the last picture reminds me of the two truths about bummies: best done drunk and almost always improved in the remembering.
I have been calling her real life Madea for a while now but yeah she looks a lot better sans clothes. Pretty nice actually.

Funny enough the only pleasure I have when it comes to butt sex is convincing a woman to do it. Once she actually says yes I am over it.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote:I have taught you well.
Cheers Com

Let us know when you are scheduling the next conference call (or Slymecon III to give it it's full due).

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:
comhcinc wrote:I have taught you well.
Cheers Com

Let us know when you are scheduling the next conference call (or Slymecon III to give it it's full due).
I have kinda given up. People have become meh. I think I need to try to do it about 3 weeks out.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote:

Funny enough the only pleasure I have when it comes to butt sex is convincing a woman to do it. Once she actually says yes I am over it.
Women in general find a strap-on uncomfortable to wear.

#NotAll

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

#NotAll

I am way more up for catching than pitching.

Couch

Post by Couch »

comhcinc wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

#NotAll

I am way more up for catching than pitching.
I love you

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Oh and google Feeldoe.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Jan Steen wrote: This is the information that BrianPansky has memory-holed (for now):
I expect Wikipedia are ok with this because Skepticon have memory-holed their accusation. 404'd like it never was -'Now please don't sue us Mr Carrier PhD..''
They would probably also publish those Stalin-era photos in which Trotsky is made invisible, without telling their readers that they are 'retouched'. "Carrier never was a creep."

Couch

Post by Couch »

comhcinc wrote:Oh and google Feeldoe.
Eek!

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Yeah. We live in a wonderful world.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

HunnyBunny wrote:
On June 20, 2016, the organizers of Skepticon announced on their web site that they are officially prohibiting Richard Carrier from attending any future Skepticon meetings due to allegations that he had engaged in "sexual harassment, unwelcome attention, and/or unwanted behavior"."[3] ...
Not sure if this is particularly relevant or useful - not having a "Pit Sleuth" badge to my name - but I kept a link to a post over at The Other McCain titled God and Man at #Skepticon: Atheist @RichardCCarrier Gets Banned which has a link to an archived article from Skepticon:
KEEPING SKEPTICON SAFE: RICHARD CARRIER TO BE BANNED
by Lauren Lane | Jun 20, 2016 | 0 comments

In light of the recent revelations of sexual harassment, unwelcome attention, and/or unwanted behavior from more than one prominent atheist, Skepticon would like to renew our vow to keep our attendees, speakers, volunteers, vendors, organizers, and anyone else involved in Skepticon safe at our events.

The accusations specifically against Richard Carrier are, sadly, not so surprising to the Skepticon organizers. While he was a featured speaker for many years, we stopped inviting him to speak partly because of his repeated boundary-pushing behavior, including towards someone involved in Skepticon. ....

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

MarcusAu wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
I think that the authorities and staff are mostly afraid of the lawsuits of their moms and dads.

I wonder what will happen when those maladjusted childish pretend-victim bullies will be forced to enter the world after university.
It's an interesting proposition - what would you recommend if you were the guidance counselor for one of these individuals?

I'm thinking they could get a job as a stand-up comedian, HR personnel (for a large company), Pop-cultural critic / Pundit, or Academic. Also they could work in the arts (cf Service Dog) or in left wing politics (eg the DNC or Labour party) as a hanger-on, if not a politician.

Other than that they can either marry or hook-up with a rich partner or go back to living on their trust-fund. Though these options may not be available for everyone.

I'm sure the more historically minded on the pit - will see the SJ movement as not wholely without precedent - so it might be interesting to see how society accommodated such people in the past.
"Blogger with a Patreon" sounds like it will be used a lot. Or "internet activist".

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Badger3k wrote:
"Blogger with a Patreon" sounds like it will be used a lot. Or "internet activist".
I think it will be more like:

Blogger with a Patreon*

*Barista

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: Just to set the record straight, this wasn't because of the shitty movie. Jones has a history of making racist comments on twitter, not massively black supremacist kill whitey stuff, but definitely the kind of things whites couldn't get away with saying about blacks. She was confrontational and abusive and it was reported that she had several "twitter meltdowns". She certainly didn't go out of her way to avoid the trolls.
Unsurprising behavior from someone whose career has been limited to playing "Angry Subway Patron", "Disgruntled Customer", "Sassy Cab Driver" etc. And now her profession is professional "Angry Black Woman -- But Don't You Dare Call Me That!!"
From what I saw of her olympic "reporting", yeah, she's a one-trick pony.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

comhcinc wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:

Why is it always killing baby Hitler? He doesn't even really get interested until after WWI.

I think people just want an excuse to kill a baby.
You need an excuse?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Shatterface wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Wouldn't it be amusing if the "death threats" received by Ada Wells were something like "I hope you die today" such that calling them "death threats" was an admission of s/h/it's own death threats against cops?
It would be especially sweet if the only 'threat' was 'the same to you!' in response to the 'I hope more cops die today' tweet.
What would be funny if someone had tweeted as if they were a cop "we'll remember that" (an actual cop would probably get fired for that, but it would be amusing, to me at least).

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

‘Stop! He’s Not White!’: Reporter Says His Race Saved Him During Attack at Black Lives Matter Protest
http://archive.is/lU51N

But remember: black people can't be racist.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I suspect this BLM mess will cause some serious bullshit soon enough.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Girls exposed to 'electronic babies' more likely to become pregnant, study finds

More girls in Australian study who used the dolls – designed to prevent teenage pregnancy – became pregnant than those who did not

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... nant-study?

Keating

Post by Keating »

I've just recovered from a really bad instance of the flu. Didn't bother to get the flu shot this year; turned out to be a mistake. Seem to have a dry cough hanging around which is really annoying. Any of the doctor types here know why a cough would hang around over a week after the rest of the flu is clearly gone?

My dad has been travelling through Germany. He's mostly visiting older people who are friends of his. Very few under the age of 50. Most are long time CDU voters who think the government is completely useless and couldn't organise a chook raffle, but (somehow) are relatively favourably disposed to Merkel's policies. The one who he found was least kindly inclined towards migrants had done some volunteer work to aid assimilation and didn't like the experience. He also says it very much depended on where in Germany they are, but there are pockets where the number of Arabs and MENA types is large and confronting. He tends to believe some of the more extreme reporting as being accurate, if isolated, based on his experience.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote:It sounds like you are one step away from becoming a character in a William Gibson novel.
Mmmmm...Molly Millions!

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/08/brows.gif

Neuromancer is the shit!

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Shatterface wrote:Girls exposed to 'electronic babies' more likely to become pregnant, study finds
More girls in Australian study who used the dolls – designed to prevent teenage pregnancy – became pregnant than those who did not

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... nant-study?
Self selecting samples. The girls with the 'electronic babies' chose that over traditional sex education.

Anyone want to make a wild guess as to who really wanted to have a baby?

feathers

Post by feathers »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I'm guessing "they" (Ada) was able to show evidence of these death threats? I wonder if "they" were confusing them were "their" own desires to police officers killed.

How the fuck did this creep get into that position?
More importantly, how can an open antisemite and ISIS sycophant like Malia Bouattia become, and stay, leader of the whole British National Union of Students?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:I'm guessing "they" (Ada) was able to show evidence of these death threats? I wonder if "they" were confusing them were "their" own desires to police officers killed.

How the fuck did this creep get into that position?
More importantly, how can an open antisemite and ISIS sycophant like Malia Bouattia become, and stay, leader of the whole British National Union of Students?
Ah, yeah, I remember her. She said that a document which denounced ISIS was "Islamophobic".

feathers

Post by feathers »

HunnyBunny wrote:Transphobes have shown up over at Mumsnet (for those outside the UK, mumsnet is the fount of all knowledge for mums in the UK. If you aren't on mumsnet it is probably because you are in prison for child neglect from not being on mumsnet).
My informal experience with sites that carry 'mum' in their name to denote 'mother' is that they're incubation chambers of poppysmoking newage hippies who, in the care for their offspring, promote "motherly intuition" over scientific consensus. Stay well clear.