The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Billie from Ockham

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Billie from Ockham »

In case you hadn't noticed it, it's been some time since Christianity has attempted to impose a theocracy. And the US Constitution more or less precludes it. Part of the warp and woof of Islam, bred in the bone. You're trying, somewhat desperately by the look of it, to compare apples and aardvarks.
I got this.

http://juliandance.org/wp-content/uploa ... dApple.jpg

http://www.comicbookreligion.com/img/c/ ... rdvark.jpg

Note, however, that Pud Withers did provide Jaka with apples even when the Cirinists controlled Iest, so the distinction isn't as clear as one might hope.

Billie from Ockham

A picture of Cerebus can kill the Pit?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:I've been reading the Red Rising books(think Hunger Games meets Red Mars). They're an enjoyable beach/airport read. It has me thinking about terraforming and I think Venus would be an easier job than Mars. I've just been doing simple math of percentages in my head and would need an actual smart person to really figure it out, but Venus has roughly 90x earth's atmospheric pressure, and 96% of its atmosphere is CO2. Erect a sunshade in space. I know it would be at least a couple thousand kilometers in diameter but it would only need to be a couple of molecules thick. The shade lowers the temp until the CO2 falls like snow. 96% of the atmosphere is now solid on the ground so the pressure is now near Earth's. Then use synthetic organisms or drones that can process the frozen CO2 into C and O2. The only real long term problem I can see is lack of water.
Coincidentally, an article showed up on this just the other day:

colonize Venus with floating 'cities'
http://www.universetoday.com/130482/how ... ize-venus/#

It's apparently not a new idea:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi ... 022668.pdf

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote:I'm reading Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald at the moment:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fBUlMNG7R94/V ... moonuk.jpg

It's a multigenerational saga set on the moon which has been compared to Dune (Lune) or A Game of Thrones (A Game of Domes) but its portrayal of sexuality touches on issues we discuss a lot.

Everyone is poly, and/or bisexual, or autosexual, or neuter, or two-spirits who think they are werewolves. Many have their own made-up pronouns.

But this is an economically libertarian colony: everything is paid for (water, air, data) and there is no welfare for the poor: you pay or you die.

And there's no criminal law or civil law, just contract law.

Everything is up for sale or negotiation.

It's like Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress only more so: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

And what's fascinating is that McDonald explicitly ties the polymorphous sexuality to the libertarian legal and economic system. Which is something Heinlein portrayed touched on too.

SJWs like to see sexual freedom is inherently left-wing, despite communisms persecution of sexual minorities, but really it's an extension of the free market into the bedroom.
So, Burning Man in space.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Steersman, I posted a question for you in the Islam and Islamists thread.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Billie from Ockham wrote:A picture of Cerebus can kill the Pit?
23 minutes counts as a Pit kill?

What's the minimum?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I used to enjoy this little game, which is leagues better than Rev 60:
Moria.png
(5.33 KiB) Downloaded 225 times

Nowadays, I play the Battle for Wesnoth, which has old-style graphics but amazing AI & gameplay. It's free. Open source mark-up language means anyone can participate in the development. Though a scenario construction engine would allow somebody other than 20 yo nerds to create campaigns. Some campaigns are balanced & witty, some are dorky.*

* (You're a young peasant who inexplicably becomes leader of a large army. Rescue a beautiful warrior princess who doesn't really need rescuing but actually she does. Ally with doughty dwarves who speak in Scottish accents. Defeat waves of bad guys who upon dying cry, 'my master will avenge me!'. Do this over & over until you confront the evil master. Defeat him then marry the princess in the last of several annoying cut-scenes.)

feathers

Post by feathers »

Service Dog wrote:Tomorrrow off, then 5 overnights for a runway show I cant disclose until its over.
Is it this runway? I have to warn you that the authorities may be a bit prickly at the moment about people staging shows there.

http://travelfeatured.com/wp-content/up ... port-8.jpg

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

sp0tlight wrote:
Hope you get something extra for that. 88 hours a week is just soul crashing bad.
Your work ethics, I wish I had them.
The actual physical work, like unloading trucks & drywalling... is less grueling than the hours when nothing is happening. Everybody's interpersonal quirks bubble-up. Ive lost 8 more pounds.

From L to R: Cartier Mansion, Versace, Labor parade, Cathedral, Godiva chocolate, and my guys up on the orange scissor lift, removing 1-way mirror mylar. I will miss secretly looking at girls looking at themselves in the mirror.

http://i.imgur.com/49Q5GvN.png

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Really? wrote: How wonderful! I disagree! If someone were to remove "unapproved signs" or something, it should be security or administration. Professors are charged with...let's see if I can say this with a straight face...allowing students to express any nonviolent thought or opinion they like, good or bad, because college is a place where you can try on any nonviolent opinion you like and so on.

This is the same as Melissa Click or that insane person who destroyed the student's pro-life signs. You may disagree, professor, but students have the right to document and report experiences and to express themselves unless they verge into the kind of speech that is not protected by the First Amendment.
Oh, I for one agree with you that the prof is a gobshite. But it's a community college, where the profs are generally failed academics stuck in adjunct hell (#NotAllCommunityCollegeProfs), so I just don't really care. In the pecking order, it's more "intermediate education" than "higher education." We're not talking about an ivory-tower type pulling in 50 grand. Sure, she spouts SJW nonsense at impressionable students for a "living," but she probably makes like 15 a year and hates her job.

Small fish. Meh.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Truck of Peace: Take me to Church

Guestus Aurelius

fuzzy wrote:I've become darn near asexual at 59. The doc tells me my testosterone levels are low, and I am not a bit surprised. Still up for a nice wank on a regular basis, I suppose, and still well able to hold up my end of the transaction should the opportunity occur; but no longer willing to enact the labor of romantic pursuit.
Congratulations on your recent wedding!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
sp0tlight wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Xe needs to release another computer game and quick. I suggest a text-based adventure.
Matt, text adventures can be fun and are challenging to get right (I'm not talking "chose your own adventure" shit), I don't think "fun" is in their wheelhouse.
Do not ever dis "Choose your Own Adventure" books! They were a key part of my formative years, and look what I've become...

...Ok, point well taken.
http://www.gamebooks.org/gallery/cyoa163.jpg

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Friendly Atheist had this video in a post. As frightening as it is fascinating:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Suet Cardigan wrote:Truck of Peace: Take me to Church

The pisstake of Annaliese's vocal fry is supreme. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guestus Aurelius

MacGruberKnows wrote:Friendly Atheist had this video in a post. As frightening as it is fascinating:

Well, shit.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Do not ever dis "Choose your Own Adventure" books! They were a key part of my formative years, and look what I've become...

...Ok, point well taken.
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/fig ... 1223201215

This is the first one I remember from childhood, went on to get most of the series. I have fond memories of them too.

Incidentally, my brother-in-law is involved in making computer games and has collaborated with Ian Livingstone on various projects, I think he operated as a consultant and mentor. I guess these books were the original RPG's.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

MacGruberKnows wrote:Friendly Atheist had this video in a post. As frightening as it is fascinating:

This is why your doctor is so insistent that once you start a course of antibiotics you fucking finish it.

Jack Wooster

Post by Jack Wooster »

Oglebart wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Do not ever dis "Choose your Own Adventure" books! They were a key part of my formative years, and look what I've become...

...Ok, point well taken.

This is the first one I remember from childhood, went on to get most of the series. I have fond memories of them too.

Incidentally, my brother-in-law is involved in making computer games and has collaborated with Ian Livingstone on various projects, I think he operated as a consultant and mentor. I guess these books were the original RPG's.
That was my first one too, but I don't think even basic D&D was the first RPG

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Jack Wooster wrote:
Oglebart wrote:

...Ok, point well taken.

This podcast interview with the guy who taught Arneson & Gygax to role-play & roll funny dice-- is phenomenal. http://geekyandgenki.com/show060-interv ... id-wesely/

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Service Dog wrote: Do not ever dis "Choose your Own Adventure" books! They were a key part of my formative years, and look what I've become...

...Ok, point well taken.

Those books were huge at my school '84-86. I never actually played through that one (number one, too!), but I remember The Citadel, Deathtrap Dungeon and a trilogy I was never able to finish.

Billie from Ockham

Several groups of people (not all in Minnesota) were playing what were, in effect, RPGs in the 1960s, but D&D was the first to be packaged and sold. At least, no-one has ever come forward with an example that pre-dates D&D.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I used to enjoy this little game, which is leagues better than Rev 60:
Moria.png
I still play ADOM and Zangand, great stuff.

http://www.adom.de/home/index.html

http://www.zangband.org/

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Sulman wrote:
Service Dog wrote: Do not ever dis "Choose your Own Adventure" books! They were a key part of my formative years, and look what I've become...

...Ok, point well taken.

Those books were huge at my school '84-86. I never actually played through that one (number one, too!), but I remember The Citadel, Deathtrap Dungeon and a trilogy I was never able to finish.
My first Fighting Fantasy book was Island of The Lizard King. Fondly remembered. I used to cheat by always maxing out my skill, stamina and luck at the start, though I generally used to abide by the story directions, even if they proved negative. In any case, I was never a great fan of the sword & sorcery genre (though I never disliked it), which is why I particularly enjoyed Space Assassin (which had some very good interior illustrations by Geoff Senior) and Freeway Fighter, which made a bold and welcome genre departure by being set in a Mad Max style world. Luvved it!

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Jack Wooster wrote:
Oglebart wrote: Incidentally, my brother-in-law is involved in making computer games and has collaborated with Ian Livingstone on various projects, I think he operated as a consultant and mentor. I guess these books were the original RPG's.
Yes, I realised after I posted that of course D&D would precede these books, my mistake. I could never really get into it personally, I realise that may be near to sacrilege for some here though! I was more thinking about the evolution of this early RPG into modern day versions such as Skyrim and Fallout et al.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Actually, epipens are about $100 in Canadian, about $80 US, made by the same company.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Sunder wrote:

[.youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plVk4NVIUh8[/youtube]
This is why your doctor is so insistent that once you start a course of antibiotics you fucking finish it.
Interesting. Kind of like Islam ...

free thoughtpolice

A postscript to the Hugh Mungus-Zarna Joshi sexual harassment debacle. She was so angry she had to make a facebook post about tit at 4:12 the next morning.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Shatterface wrote:So, the Black Lives Matter protesters who brought London Airport to a standstill were... white.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/09/ ... 611113.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rport.html
Dreadlocks on white men=blue hair on women.
That's cultural appropriation. I wonder when he'll get chastised for that?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well, hairologists have found that some neanderthals had dreadlocks.

Further research has to be done to find out if they were the first group to adopt this style - so that it can be then be determined if cultural appropriation has occurred and guilt assigned accordingly.

Or, we could just forget the whole thing.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

This is just smart.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote:Looks like a bit of an ipse dixit or weasel words or shading into some post-modernism: "it's all just narratives, man!" Issue seems less a question of interpretation than whether it can be construed as fact or not that Allah wrote the Quran.
It's more complicated than that. There are many different schools of interpretation in Islam. No one of that is particularly "modern", but they differ a lot in their interpretation of the "word of God". ....
You can lead a horse to water - and a skeptic to a syllogism .... The whole point though is that a rather large and problematic percentage of Muslisms still take the Quran to have been literally written by "God Himself". You might take a gander at an interview in Slate of Shadi Hamad, these passages in particular:
Chotiner: What do you think it is about Islam that makes it resistant to secularism in a way that, say, Christianity and Judaism are not?

Hamad: I think you have to go back to the founding moment 14 centuries ago. Jesus was a dissident against a reigning state, so he was never in a position to govern. .... Prophet Muhammad wasn’t just a prophet. He was also a politician, and not just a politician, but a head of state and a state-builder. .... That’s one thing intertwining the religion and politics that isn’t accidental, and was meant to be that way.

In practice, what that means is that if you’re a Muslim secular reformer today, you can make arguments for secularism. I’m not saying that’s impossible. There have been a number of fascinating, quite creative, secular-oriented thinkers in recent decades. But the problem is they have to argue against the prophetic model, so it’s unlikely that those ideas will gain mass traction in Muslim-majority countries. ....

Hamid: Christianity without Christ loses its meaning; you can be culturally Christian or nominally Christian, but the theological content isn’t really there. It’s the same thing with Islam, and that leads to the other factor that I talk about in the book in regards to exceptionalism: Muslims don’t just believe that the Quran is the word of God; they believe it is God’s actual speech. That might sound like a semantic difference, but I think it’s actually really important. ...
'Rots of 'ruck trying to reform a "religion" that is so hermetically sealed against secularism - and against reason and science and humanity to boot - because of its literalism. But you too may wish to take a close look at a recent post - Islamopologia on steroids - by Anjuli Pandavar where she rakes Hamid over the coals for his apologism.
Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote:"You keep using that word [theocracy] ...." It's "a system of government in which priests rule in the name of God or a god"; Islam is fundamentally not a religion but a totalitarian form of government. One that is intrinsically antithetical to the principles of democracy and human rights.
Since you love definitions so much, Islam isn't a form of government until it has institutions that support it. Would you call a group of three muslims of three different denominations "a form of government"?
You don't think that madrasas and sharia law qualify as "institutions that support" and are predicated on theocracy? Methinks you have an overly narrow if not self-serving definition for "government"; note: "the governing body of a nation, state, or community". And, speaking of madrasas, you might pay particular attention to this comment by Pandavar in that same post:
Pandavar wrote:In a recent post, I discuss an interview with Professor Abd Al-Hamid Al-Ansari. I was particularly struck by his explaining how a young child’s mind is prepared for later receptivity to terrorism through the inculcation on its young brain of hatred for non-Muslims. I drew a connection to the madrassas, where the Qur’an is drilled into children, a central purpose of that book being to instil in Muslims an unshakeable hatred of non-Muslims.
And you think that should be condoned or allowed? You might think or argue that that is only characteristic of Salafist/Wahhabist madrasas, but I kind of think that is to be found in most if not all of them.
Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote:Of course - we've discussed it many times and at some length. But it's still somewhat of a strawman when it comes to the issue of the compatibility between Islam and democracy - you and Nawaz and Rizvi and Aslan and Namazie and Ansar and innumerable others, although I'll concede there's a spectrum there, can blather on about "reforming Islam" till the cows come home, but it still doesn't address that question.
That's because the question itself ("Is Islam compatible with democracy?") is by and large impossible to answer, since it considers "Islam" as a monolithic whole and doesn't make it clear what "compatibility" means.
Seems pretty clear to me: can you believe in a state and communities within it that are governed by rather barbaric "laws" predicated on a belief in a clearly psychotic supposed-deity while at the same time believe in a state and communities within it that are governed by laws based on facts? Particularly when the latter rather clearly contradict the former. Reminds me of Loyola's "Rules for Thinking with the Church":
"That we may be altogether of the same mind and in conformity[...], if [the Church] shall have defined anything to be black which to our eyes appears to be white, we ought in like manner to pronounce it to be black.
You may wish to reflect on the principle of explosion ["from contradiction, anything (follows)")].
Kirbmarc wrote:A better question is whether it's possible for muslims to accept the principles of liberal democracy, and I think that the answer to that it's possible, but very hard, and relatively easier if we uphold those principles, defend them from preachers of violence and subversion, teach them to everyone who wishes to stay in a liberal democracy and punish those who violate them.
Yea, well, let's all cheer for motherhood and apple pie and the American dream. Wan hopes, high-minded princples versus soft-headedness, and all that.
Kirbmarc wrote:
Steersman wrote:... Although I'll concede that your recent "Islam based on Qu'ran literalism is incompatible with liberal democracy" is a commendable step in the right direction. But the crux of the matter there is that that literalism is an essential element of Islam, the sine qua non. Rizvi talks, presumably, a great game in his new book, The Atheist Muslim but that looks like an oxymoron, a "deepity", an egregiously false profundity that ignores if not tries to whitewash away that element. How else can "moderate" Muslims possibly "revere" a book that endorses "misogyny, murder or homophobia" unless they see it as literally written by Allah "Himself"?
It's not "a step in the right direction", it's what I've always said. Whether literalism is an "essential" element of Islam depends on what people think about it. Religions have no unchangeable "essence", they change through time. ....
Seems rather clear that Hamid, who seems to have his finger on the pulse of Islam - though it seems more like a zombie than not, among many others such as Erdogan, thinks that that literalism is the essence of it - and for a rather large percentage of all Muslims, "moderates" and "extremists" both.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Hunt wrote:I mean "rein". Damn it, I hate promulgating that stupid error. It's almost as bad as begging the question wrong. Oh, and I apologize for getting affect/effect wrong yesterday.

Twenty lashes with a wet noodle.

I'm such a looser.
"rain" would have worked!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Shatterface wrote:So, the Black Lives Matter protesters who brought London Airport to a standstill were... white.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/09/ ... 611113.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rport.html
And dreadlocks... :)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

dogen wrote:
Hunt wrote:I mean "rein". Damn it, I hate promulgating that stupid error. It's almost as bad as begging the question wrong. Oh, and I apologize for getting affect/effect wrong yesterday.

Twenty lashes with a wet noodle.

I'm such a looser.
"rain" would have worked!

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote:
Jack Wooster wrote:
Oglebart wrote:

This podcast interview with the guy who taught Arneson & Gygax to role-play & roll funny dice-- is phenomenal. http://geekyandgenki.com/show060-interv ... id-wesely/
Fantastic - thanks for sharing. I have published two mini games myself. What a crazy hobby!!!!

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Irregardless, we should of deduced it's meaning.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

fuzzy wrote:Irregardless, we should of deduced it's meaning.
You are very mischevious. :twatson:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

katamari Damassi wrote:I've been reading the Red Rising books(think Hunger Games meets Red Mars). They're an enjoyable beach/airport read. It has me thinking about terraforming and I think Venus would be an easier job than Mars. I've just been doing simple math of percentages in my head and would need an actual smart person to really figure it out, but Venus has roughly 90x earth's atmospheric pressure, and 96% of its atmosphere is CO2. Erect a sunshade in space. I know it would be at least a couple thousand kilometers in diameter but it would only need to be a couple of molecules thick. The shade lowers the temp until the CO2 falls like snow. 96% of the atmosphere is now solid on the ground so the pressure is now near Earth's. Then use synthetic organisms or drones that can process the frozen CO2 into C and O2. The only real long term problem I can see is lack of water.
I like those kinds of science fiction stories. But they always gloss over some major problems:

Venus 243 day rotation which is longer than its year. You remove the CO2 (necessary to not die or broil) and you have serious problems with sub-zero temperatures on the night side and still have broiling hot temperatures on the day side. I imagine the wind storms would make Cat 5 hurricanes look like a balmy summer zephyr. Even now the wind speed on the planet exceeds 200 MPH.

But getting the CO2 out is difficult. Bombard the planet with enough hydrogen and the chemical reaction would release the carbon and form water. That's great, but the amount hydrogen needed is astronomical.

And the algae thing... That'd take some seriously complicated weather control, especially considering the rotation factor plus building and maintaining all those structures. Possibly for decades before you could start. And you know the funding would run out in a few years when everyone got bored.

And Nitrogen, where are you going to get the nitrogen you need? It's one thing to break down the CO2, but there's almost no nitrogen on Venus. Earth plants need nitrogen to grow -- CHON -- the four memetic acronym for the four most common elements life needs -- carbon (has it), Oxygen (tons of it), Hydrogen (virtually none) and Nitrogen (very little and, for practical purposes, virtually none).

Plus Venus has almost no magnetic field. Cancer ward, here we come as all those particles just irradiate the **** out of you...

All those 50s & 60s science fiction colonize Venus books were great. But now we know Venus is a brutal hell-hole that makes those 'Venus is a Swamp' stories look rediculously optimistic and there is little realistic chance we could ever do enough to make it habitable as were needing to import more hydrogen and nitrogen than would ever practical.

http://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/bo ... /13824.jpg

Which is a damn shame, because re-reading those stories is kind of weird now...

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Oglebart wrote:

...Ok, point well taken.

Mine came with a different cover. Little battered through the years. There's a couple of Android games based in them that I haven't got around to playing yet.
0910161548-480x853.jpg
(122.03 KiB) Downloaded 290 times

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

dog puke wrote:It cannot not be posted.

B-but you could be the first US president from North of the border!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tribble wrote:
I like those kinds of science fiction stories. But they always gloss over some major problems:

Venus 243 day rotation which is longer than its year. You remove the CO2 (necessary to not die or broil) and you have serious problems with sub-zero temperatures on the night side and still have broiling hot temperatures on the day side. I imagine the wind storms would make Cat 5 hurricanes look like a balmy summer zephyr. Even now the wind speed on the planet exceeds 200 MPH.

But getting the CO2 out is difficult. Bombard the planet with enough hydrogen and the chemical reaction would release the carbon and form water. That's great, but the amount hydrogen needed is astronomical.

And the algae thing... That'd take some seriously complicated weather control, especially considering the rotation factor plus building and maintaining all those structures. Possibly for decades before you could start. And you know the funding would run out in a few years when everyone got bored.

And Nitrogen, where are you going to get the nitrogen you need? It's one thing to break down the CO2, but there's almost no nitrogen on Venus. Earth plants need nitrogen to grow -- CHON -- the four memetic acronym for the four most common elements life needs -- carbon (has it), Oxygen (tons of it), Hydrogen (virtually none) and Nitrogen (very little and, for practical purposes, virtually none).

Plus Venus has almost no magnetic field. Cancer ward, here we come as all those particles just irradiate the **** out of you...

All those 50s & 60s science fiction colonize Venus books were great. But now we know Venus is a brutal hell-hole that makes those 'Venus is a Swamp' stories look rediculously optimistic and there is little realistic chance we could ever do enough to make it habitable as were needing to import more hydrogen and nitrogen than would ever practical.
Still amusing to hear the Pertwee era Doctor claim expertise in Venusian Judo. Frankly, if you're tough enough to survive the Venusian environment, you don't need to learn no Judo, son.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

What are you lot blathering on about? Why terraform Venus? It's a jungle planet already. Doesn't anyone read Edgar Rice Burroughs anymore?

You'll be saying Mars in uninhabitable next. Bullshit - who built the canals?

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Really? wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Really? wrote:
Perhaps the students were led askance of some rules, but they are students. Teachers should be held to a higher standard, particularly when they are 30 years older.

I can agree with that but I still don't think we need to pull out the pitchforks for her.
I can agree with that, too. I would be happy with a genuine apology:

"I was wrong to destroy the students' signs, speech that was protected by the First Amendment. In the future, I will not punish students for having opinions that differ from mine."
Don't give the purple haired loon any credit, I sure the university has staff that remove posters that have not been approved. The fact she took it upon herself means she just hates opinions that she doesn't agree with.

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote:What are you lot blathering on about? Why terraform Venus? It's a jungle planet already. Doesn't anyone read Edgar Rice Burroughs anymore?

You'll be saying Mars in uninhabitable next. Bullshit - who built the canals?
Hear! Hear!

I, for one, am moving to Gor.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

sp0tlight wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I used to enjoy this little game, which is leagues better than Rev 60:
Moria.png
I still play ADOM and Zangand, great stuff.

http://www.adom.de/home/index.html

http://www.zangband.org/
The specific one I played was called /Hack. You started with a pet dog ("d") who helped you kill kobolds ("k"). After a while, your dog would get hungry and wander off. Later, he'd come back and try to eat you.

The best feature was teleportation traps. ("^") Sometimes there'd be one in a shop, letting you shoplift a few times until the shop owner ("@") barred the door from then on.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Actually, epipens are about $100 in Canadian, about $80 US, made by the same company.
In the US, they just went from $100 for a two-pack, to $400. Because they can.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Aneris wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Aneris wrote:And yes, a community of people peek into the dictionary to find out how words are defined, but that's not how the meaning of the terms arise. Which is what you need for your case.
Steers seems to think that language meaning is modular, that meaning of words is defined equally in all subjects which use it through an inner feature of the brain, which is then echoed in the "dictionary definition"). If this were true automatic translators could, at least in theory, work perfectly by just using a sophisticated enough dictionary. This simply isn't the case.
<snip>
Steers ignores this and thinks a dictionary definition is enough.
I currently (still) read a lot about categorization, analogies and metaphors for some reason. As I have written before, I was fond of Hofstadter & Sanders “Surfaces and Essences”, which is at times a trudge as they drag on countless examples over pages and pages and seem to make little progress, looking at every nook and nanny.
Looks like an interesting book, and interesting dichotomy. And a brief look at the Amazon review for it provides a somewhat amusing corroboration of your "countless examples":
But after 500 pages of examples of how words and phrases can be extended and compounded and misinterpreted and translated and categorized ad nauseam, I was in despair of ever getting to the payoff.

There isn't one.

It ends with a 30 page "epidialogue" between two women on the phone who've just had a similar nightmare, and they argue about categorization vs analogy, referring to various chapters in the book. Really. It's actually quite cute and comprehensive, and truth be known, if you read that first, you don't need to read the book. ....

Ultimately it doesn't matter, because analogy beats out categorization and subsumes it. So what was the point of those 500+ pages? And what does analogy over categorization give us? How does it change the world or even just the way we see it? What can we do with this important information? What decisions can we make now that we could not before? No hints are given.

From what I can see they haven't actually discovered anything. But they had fun doing it.
In any case, somewhat en passant, I think the correct phrase is "nook and cranny" which has some related British rhyming slang of "crook and nanny". :-)

But, of maybe a bit more substance of a not entirely trollish nature, given your apparently quite reasonable support of all (or almost all) things Hofstadter-ish, and of the concept of surfaces and essences, I wonder what you think is the essence of "woman", or whether you think the category is "surfaces all the way down". Apropos of which, I think I mentioned that the text of Hofstadter's video on Analogy as the Core of Cognition is available on-line; a relevant quote:
Hofstadter wrote:The Common Core behind a Lexical Item

I now make an observation that, though banal and obvious, needs to be made explicitly nonetheless — namely, things “out there” (objects, situations, whatever) that are labeled by the same lexical item have something, some core, in common; also, whatever it is that those things “out there” share is shared with the abstract mental structure that lurks behind the label used for them. Getting to the core of things is, after all, what categories are for. In fact, I would go somewhat further and claim that getting to the core of things is what thinking itself is for-thus once again placing high-level perception front and center in the definition of cognition.
He then goes on to provide several analogous cases of the use of the category "shadow" - even if the number of such that he gives, as is his wont, goes somewhat beyond "exhaustive". But still there is the point of a common essence - presumably of something occluding something else - that ties all of those cases together and justifies the category.
Aneris wrote:But [Surfaces and Essences] is also highly enlightening in other places. .... I had many discussions about this with Steers, too, and he ignored it pretty much. He has an extreme prescriptivist view and more or less discards cognition altogether.
Don't recollect any discussions about S&E, and the few search items I've found of comments we've exchanged on Hofstader were more about analogies and language. In any case, you might note from my last comment [Post #49564], which you may not have seen, in response to one of yours gave some evidence that my "prescriptivist view" is anything but extreme.
Aneris wrote:Steers, you are an oddity and I appreciate someone like you who is unconventional or contrarian, but when you are this outlandish, someone needs to disagree from time to time just to make sure that your more eccentric ideas are not viewed as tacitly supported.
Thanks - I guess - even if it seems somewhat of a proverbial "left-handed compliment". :-) But while I certainly wouldn't want any random lurkers to get the entirely unjustified view that any of my "more eccentric ideas" were even "tacitly supported" here, you might at least try giving some thought to the possibility that they're not entirely without justification. Rather than, apparently - at least many times, rejecting them a priori ("3 Made before or without examination; not supported by factual study").

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Lovely. Absolutely marvelous. :clap: :dance: :clap:

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

paddybrown wrote:

The last word on the Deep Rifts?
Fuck off bluey, I see through your game. The only issue that unites the warring factions of atheism is our hatred of subhuman blue people. Take your entryism elsewhere.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Tribble wrote:

http://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/bo ... /13824.jpg

Which is a damn shame, because re-reading those stories is kind of weird now...
I first heard of the idea of terraforming Venus in the late 70s when I read the Usborne Book of The Future:
VenusUsb.jpg
(558.54 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Anyone else remember it?

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Really? wrote:
bovarchist wrote:Get off it. There's nothing unreasonable or oppressive about rules about where and when you can post things. Nobody's being punished in any way. And how is 'Remember 911' an opinion anyway? And what evidence do you have that the professor disagrees with it?
The professor is on record as stating that 9/11 was the result of Western colonialism.
I didn't read the above carefully before commenting (ripping) on it. bovarchist asked you a question and you answered. I should only have said that bovarchist's question was irrelevant and not attacked you for answering it. Sorry, Really.
But are you really sorry. ;)

free thoughtpolice

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
The active ingredient (adrenaline) costs about $1.00 US to produce and it's an old drug that's been generic forever.
They have an easy to use delivery system that is OK, but hardly some giant leap forward in science. Considering the materials and the relatively simple design, if it wasn't a medical item it would cost $20 or less.
If someone brought a different delivery system it would take time to approve and Mylan could drop their prices at or slightly before the competitor can bring their product to market and still own the market and walk away with shitloads of money.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Tribble wrote:Which is a damn shame, because re-reading those stories is kind of weird now...
They are still being written:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... (2015).jpg

Which is a follow-up to this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 013%29.jpg

I love hard SF but there will always be part of me that longs for the populated solar system of the pulps.

I try not to think about why the Ice Warriors from Doctor who should have developed sonic weapons when the Martian atmosphere is so thin.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
The active ingredient (adrenaline) costs about $1.00 US to produce and it's an old drug that's been generic forever.
They have an easy to use delivery system that is OK, but hardly some giant leap forward in science. Considering the materials and the relatively simple design, if it wasn't a medical item it would cost $20 or less.
If someone brought a different delivery system it would take time to approve and Mylan could drop their prices at or slightly before the competitor can bring their product to market and still own the market and walk away with shitloads of money.
That's not going to happen. Why do you think Mylan donated so much money to Clinton and all other power brokers? They're not stupid.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

https://web.archive.org/web/20160911040 ... l-me-chad/

You know, there are some things that are just automatic TMI. Reading about PZ's sex life is one of them. I can't think of a greater boner killer than thinking about PZ having sex. Is there some way we can make him JUST STOP!