The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Brive1987

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Brive1987 »

Happy Birthday Phil! Eat much cake. But you are French so that's a normal breakfast right!

John D

Post by John D »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I don't understand what the problem with Common Core is. Is it the principle of having standards or how they've been applied?
In general, the problem with Common Core and No Child Left Behind is that the Feds just laid a template across all of the states. They made a giant pile of rules and then tied Federal funding to those rules. This creates a disjointed and ineffective curriculum as well as burdensome and unfair regulations for the states.

I was a big fan of both of these programs until it was really proven that they don't work. For a variety of reasons (mostly bureaucratic inefficiency) they don't work... so... it is best to just kill them and try something else. Even the idea of simply letting the States compete on education programs between each other is a better solution.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone. We have had a lovely day at home, with lobster tails for lunch. I'm skipping dinner since I'm completely stuffed.

And not even drunk :(

feathers

Post by feathers »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I don't understand what the problem with Common Core is. Is it the principle of having standards or how they've been applied?
Perhaps there's imminent danger of a Common Core breach, venting antimatter into the curriculum?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, >>I<< an the Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies by van Klomp.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Just watched Sean Spicer's first official press conference, damn he's good. He's a bit shit at reading things out, but he's great on his feet.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Facebook-3009df.png
(93.36 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Standards would be fine. Adaptable standards. My own theory is that Common Core was meant to diminish the gap between boys and girls in math by various methods. Suffice to say in my district scores are dropping.

CaptainFluffyBunny

gurugeorge wrote:Just watched Sean Spicer's first official press conference, damn he's good. He's a bit shit at reading things out, but he's great on his feet.
He's got a right to be pumped, what with the record-setting crowds at Trump's inauguration. :whistle:

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Brive1987 wrote:Of course he blames his students for being tired. Not his delivery.

Two words.

"Dan" and "Carlin".
Yum, I just put some of Dan's older work on my tablet to lull me to sleep. He's on my Top 10 People I'd Have Beer with.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Brive1987 wrote:SZvan makes the make sthe cruel accusation that Carrier targeted her birthday when searching papers.

What kind of monster would do that?

http://archive.is/ap5Yw
I read that as "Getting slapped, want to help?" and I was thinking that while normally I wouldn't hit a woman...

CaptainFluffyBunny

sp0tlight wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Of course he blames his students for being tired. Not his delivery.

Two words.

"Dan" and "Carlin".
Yum, I just put some of Dan's older work on my tablet to lull me to sleep. He's on my Top 10 People I'd Have Beer with.
It might be a little grim, with him dead and all, but I'm not judging.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
sp0tlight wrote:

Two words.

"Dan" and "Carlin".
Ugh, for a minute there I was afraid I missed his death somehow even if I talked with him a while ago. No, Dan Carlin, not George. http://www.dancarlin.com/

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Facebook-3009df.png
Standards would be fine. Adaptable standards. My own theory is that Common Core was meant to diminish the gap between boys and girls in math by various methods. Suffice to say in my district scores are dropping.
From my understanding the goal of common core was to get kids to understand "math theory" as opposed to just brute force memorizing tables.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Berating people and harassing them is the way to change their minds:

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Re: sucker punching people

Don't do that unless there's a real threat to neutralize. Person speaking to the camera is not one, even if he's a shithead.

I was making a cleanup in my audiobooks folder and went with Foundation book last night. I love them but I recognize they may be a little raw for people. One of the better known quotes from the first book is the words spoken by Salvor Hardin,
Salvor Hardin wrote:Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
I always like it.

CaptainFluffyBunny

sp0tlight wrote:
sp0tlight wrote:snip

Ugh, for a minute there I was afraid I missed his death somehow even if I talked with him a while ago. No, Dan Carlin, not George. http://www.dancarlin.com/
Yikes, I really need that coffee.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Yikes, I really need that coffee.
You gave me a scare there, man. :)

CaptainFluffyBunny

Sunder wrote:
Facebook-3009df.png
From my understanding the goal of common core was to get kids to understand "math theory" as opposed to just brute force memorizing tables.
Perhaps. It was also a way to add layers of words to math problems that frequently make the problems inscrutable to even the teachers. Nor does it seem to help with theory, as they demand a very specific way of achieving the solution that often ignores more intuitive or straightforward methods.

The curriculum is crap, as the problems often leave out necessary information or the answers in the key have nothing to do with the problem. Some of the ideas are sound, but the implementation was rushed and slipshod. Kids using it hitting college math seem to be foundering.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Having not deeply investigated common core, going just by the little I've seen and heard, it comes off as the sort of program you might find in some magnet school which works very well there because the people who developed and understand the system are the same ones implementing it. But it's really hard to franchise that out to the entire country all at once.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

gurugeorge wrote:Just watched Sean Spicer's first official press conference, damn he's good. He's a bit shit at reading things out, but he's great on his feet.
Well we may have to reevaluate our relationship. :snooty:
[youtube][/youtube]

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Trump brought his own cheering gallery to his speech at CIA headquarters to give the impression in the video that the audience was hanging on his every word.

free thoughtpolice

Sunder wrote:Trump brought his own cheering gallery to his speech at CIA headquarters to give the impression in the video that the audience was hanging on his every word.
Sean Spicer said that wasn't the case so that's good enough for me.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ's anti Carrier gofundme is rolling. It's fun and high jinks until the Professor goes all ableist.
I’ve been fortunate in the past that the loons who’ve threatened to sue me have tended to collapse at the prospect of defending their absurdities
https://www.gofundme.com/defense-vs-carrier-slapp

5k so far.

Up to 8400.

Funny:
Lawrence D. Clark
1 hour ago

I support atheist voices being heard, and not silenced by powerful bigots/Republicans. These are dangerous times. Copied from another.
Can any of the legal eagle Pitters help me figure out how I should be rooting? Do I want PZ to bring in 80 grand to pound Carrier into the ground? Or will that just scare Carrier into giving up immediately? Should I hope for it to come in around 20 grand?

What think ye?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Sulman wrote:Berating people and harassing them is the way to change their minds:
There is a third option:

[youtube][/youtube]

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Really? wrote:Can any of the legal eagle Pitters help me figure out how I should be rooting? Do I want PZ to bring in 80 grand to pound Carrier into the ground? Or will that just scare Carrier into giving up immediately? Should I hope for it to come in around 20 grand?

What think ye?
I want to see it go to trial. The issue is more if Carrier really has the backing of some of his poly fucktoys.

Carrier's desperate enough to want to press this as hard as he can, so it's all on him.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Well we may have to reevaluate our relationship. :snooty:
[youtube][/youtube]
Trans-factual.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Sunder wrote:
Carrier's desperate enough to want to press this as hard as he can, so it's all on him.
Not that he has a problem with that.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Really? wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:PZ's anti Carrier gofundme is rolling. It's fun and high jinks until the Professor goes all ableist.
I’ve been fortunate in the past that the loons who’ve threatened to sue me have tended to collapse at the prospect of defending their absurdities

5k so far.

Up to 8400.

Funny:
Lawrence D. Clark
1 hour ago

I support atheist voices being heard, and not silenced by powerful bigots/Republicans. These are dangerous times. Copied from another.
Can any of the legal eagle Pitters help me figure out how I should be rooting? Do I want PZ to bring in 80 grand to pound Carrier into the ground? Or will that just scare Carrier into giving up immediately? Should I hope for it to come in around 20 grand?

What think ye?
I hope that Carrier also sets up a successful GoFundMe account to cover for his legal expenses. I'm rooting for a long litigation that makes them face off one another through a series of inconveniences, until they're both without any support in their communities of fans since everyone is disgusted by the fact that they only seem to care about themselves and their trial.

Basically I'm rooting for the lawyers.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Sad comment from Zvan's ebegging Facebook post:
Bad time of the month for donating. I'll give some when my pension arrives early next month. Best of luck.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Most school districts dont update their textbook (which cost $$$$$) very often. Common Core set uniform standards across the nation. This prompted many school districts to update their school books to newer ones that covered the Common Core standards. This led two two problems: (a) a number of the new text books were rushed to meet the demand and therefore had a number of errors and (b) education experts change the way they think things should be taught every so often, and a number of these changes were often reflected in the new text books. (Although not mandated by Common Core, which does not specify how material should be taught.) An example of this that is often complained about on social media is the new methods of teaching math, led by the Everyday Math curriculum from U Chicago.

Whether or not the Common Core standards are effective in improving education is somewhat besides the point and not something that the average person has much information on. What they see is errors in text books and new strange ways of teaching things, and these changes came in with Common Core, and as we all know correlation = causation, so its Common Core's fault. The irony, of course, is that while adding standards causes districts to update their textbooks, there is no incentive for a school to change their text books in response to the removal of a standard. So repealing Common Core will likely not have any effect on the problems that most people complaining think are the result of Common Core.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Kirbmarc wrote:Basically I'm rooting for the lawyers.
I think lawyers win those cases by default, little to no stake and just some paperwork that can be filled by inters. I worked for a lawyering firm, the most seniors lawyers did in cases like those was putting their signature on and maybe attending on or two hearings. Easy money.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Really? wrote:
Sulman wrote:Berating people and harassing them is the way to change their minds:
There is a third option:

[youtube][/youtube]
Not the girl in yellow setting fire to the other girl's hair. Black sleeve from just behind.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Yes, fairly drunk now. But I deserve it!

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Yes, fairly drunk now. But I deserve it!
Cheers, I'm getting there! :dance:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Really? wrote:

5k so far.

Up to 8400.

Funny:
Lawrence D. Clark
1 hour ago

What think ye?
There is an obvious preferred pathway. Carrier gets a million dollars. Spends it fucking FtB and Orbit into the ground and then fades back into the weeds of obscurity. Ein Vernichtungskrieg.

Failing that we can only hope for the maximum spend and pain for both sides. To that end Carrier needs the support of his allies. I just can't figure out who they might be?

Dave

Post by Dave »

Sunder wrote:
Facebook-3009df.png
This being what I was talking about. Common Core standards are things like:
Common Core 3rd Grade Math wrote:Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.¹
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.NBT.A.1
Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.NBT.A.2
Fluently add and subtract within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.NBT.A.3
Multiply one-digit whole numbers by multiples of 10 in the range 10-90 (e.g., 9 × 80, 5 × 60) using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.
Much of the effort to get kids to understand "math theory" has been led by UofC's EverydayMath which predates Common Core by a considerable amount, however, as I mentioned, because textbooks arent updated often, most people didnt see this "New Math" until districts updated to new textbooks, which many did in response to the CC standards. But EM and similar methods is by no means required by Common Core.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Watson's dog is doing just fine. Good boy. Until she turns the power on next time ...

Btw Wato it's a lot harder to train a baby to shit in a pot and sit on command.

Just saying.

Oh. And that bitch should be spayed. She could get the dog done at the same time.

http://i.imgur.com/ZUsfDAl.jpg

CaptainFluffyBunny

Dave wrote:
Most school districts dont update their textbook (which cost $$$$$) very often. Common Core set uniform standards across the nation. This prompted many school districts to update their school books to newer ones that covered the Common Core standards. This led two two problems: (a) a number of the new text books were rushed to meet the demand and therefore had a number of errors and (b) education experts change the way they think things should be taught every so often, and a number of these changes were often reflected in the new text books. (Although not mandated by Common Core, which does not specify how material should be taught.) An example of this that is often complained about on social media is the new methods of teaching math, led by the Everyday Math curriculum from U Chicago.

Whether or not the Common Core standards are effective in improving education is somewhat besides the point and not something that the average person has much information on. What they see is errors in text books and new strange ways of teaching things, and these changes came in with Common Core, and as we all know correlation = causation, so its Common Core's fault. The irony, of course, is that while adding standards causes districts to update their textbooks, there is no incentive for a school to change their text books in response to the removal of a standard. So repealing Common Core will likely not have any effect on the problems that most people complaining think are the result of Common Core.
I must disagree. In addition to the rushed implementation, there is not enough empirical data that indicates it really works as advertised. It also stifles individual approaches to education and seems to take a tabla rasa attitude towards students. Individual learning styles are ignored, and whether that can be fixed with a more reasoned style of implementation is an open question.

It seems to me that they found something that worked in some areas and rushed to declare it was the New Best Thing. There should have been better studies and a more forthright approach to differences in students and student intelligence. They certainly should have taken into account that teaching styles vary widely and many of the differences are due to the teacher and not necessarily the method used to teach. Treating both teachers and students as cogs is bound to produce fail.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Now. Why wouldn't Trump trust the media to craft a fair and reasonable narrative?

http://i.imgur.com/GKJQwGo.jpg

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... es-ranked/

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

If Obama looked and spoke like Jimbo Carter he would be struggling for a record-based legacy.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Brive1987 wrote:Watson's dog is doing just fine. Good boy. Until she turns the power on next time ...

Just saying.

Oh. And that bitch should be spayed. She could get the dog done at the same time.

If Queen Bee thinks posting pics of her cute dog will mitigate my contempt for her, she is mistaken. And that is an understatement.

Anyway, it has been a while since Abbie updated up with a new pic of Arnie. [hint hint] Arnie, the Pit's mascot, must be, what, 5 years old now?

Dave

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote:

I must disagree. In addition to the rushed implementation, there is not enough empirical data that indicates it really works as advertised. It also stifles individual approaches to education and seems to take a tabla rasa attitude towards students. Individual learning styles are ignored, and whether that can be fixed with a more reasoned style of implementation is an open question.

It seems to me that they found something that worked in some areas and rushed to declare it was the New Best Thing. There should have been better studies and a more forthright approach to differences in students and student intelligence. They certainly should have taken into account that teaching styles vary widely and many of the differences are due to the teacher and not necessarily the method used to teach. Treating both teachers and students as cogs is bound to produce fail.
Im not sure what you are disagreeing with. Your comments seem completely orthogonal to mine. From some of your earlier comments, it seems you are not a fan of the Everyday Math program and its derivatives. Personally, I like the way it is taught in my kids school district, but on a more global scale, I can also recognize that the data is fairly ambivalent on if it provides better outcomes. So you are welcome to not like it. My point above is that it is not mandated by Common Core. It came in to many school districts at the same time as Common Core because Common Core required an updating of textbooks and Everyday Math was the Hot Trend In Education at the time that was done. IOW, eliminating Common Core will do fuck-all about changing whether or not Everyday Math approaches will be used. Particularly since eliminating a standard is unlikely to prompt school districts to spend money to get new school books the way adding a standard would. And it is still the current trend in education circles. So disagree with it all you want, but realize what you are disagreeing with is something different than Common Core.

John D

Post by John D »

Dave wrote:

While it may be true that Common Core is a very good program, the problem arises from Federal mandates in general. For a variety of reasons, American schools don't do a good job implementing Federal mandates in a productive and efficient way. This is really not the problem of any single group, but it is a practical reality. The Feds shoving rules down on the states just doesn't work. States should be encouraged to compete with each other to make creative solutions to the challenge of public education. This is very unpopular to the left because it is unfair to many students in poor states. The thing is that the Feds always make every state spend more and get worse results.

If the Feds want to make things fair they should give more Federal funding to poor states.... which is already done to some extent.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I love the fact that the Brit Pit crew will have everybody else confused with references to 'Allo 'Allo and 'The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies' (he he). Must be like when I heard one Yankee mention 'Leave It to Beaver'. My first thought was that must be some sort of porno, instead of some All-American sitcom that was never shown in the UK.

Anyway, I'm sure some of you will have seen this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/arts ... tweet.html

A writer for SNL was sacked/fired/was allowed to leave, etc. after posting a mean(ish) joke about Barron Trump on Twitter. I don't know much about her, or whether she is a SJW herself, but this is yet ANOTHER example of how SJW rules come back to bite THEM.

Typically, the alt-right are crowing (even though they protest when SJWs demand people are fired for mean Tweets), and the SJWs are crying that the joke was fair and square (a complete reversal of their position).

It is a fucked up world, at the moment.

free thoughtpolice

CommanderTuvok wrote:I love the fact that the Brit Pit crew will have everybody else confused with references to 'Allo 'Allo and 'The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies' (he he). Must be like when I heard one Yankee mention 'Leave It to Beaver'. My first thought was that must be some sort of porno, instead of some All-American sitcom that was never shown in the UK.

A writer for SNL was sacked/fired/was allowed to leave, etc. after posting a mean(ish) joke about Barron Trump on Twitter. I don't know much about her, or whether she is a SJW herself, but this is yet ANOTHER example of how SJW rules come back to bite THEM.

Typically, the alt-right are crowing (even though they protest when SJWs demand people are fired for mean Tweets), and the SJWs are crying that the joke was fair and square (a complete reversal of their position).

What did she write? I've seen reports about the tweet but not what was in it.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

free thoughtpolice wrote: What did she write? I've seen reports about the tweet but not what was in it.
IIRC she implied that he's autistic or something among this lines.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I love the fact that the Brit Pit crew will have everybody else confused with references to 'Allo 'Allo and 'The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies' (he he). Must be like when I heard one Yankee mention 'Leave It to Beaver'. My first thought was that must be some sort of porno, instead of some All-American sitcom that was never shown in the UK.

http://i.imgur.com/5uxsuo5.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Just handing this in here. Reckon Dickie Carrier's doing a little moonlighting as a van driver in order to pay his legal bills.

Really?

Post by Really? »

free thoughtpolice wrote:

What did she write? I've seen reports about the tweet but not what was in it.
https://m.elitestatic.com/m/184759a467c ... e-rich.jpg

I don't think she should have been fired, but those are the rules they established. Live by the crazy, get fired by it.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Fuck, right. I misremembered it.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote:Watson's dog is doing just fine. Good boy. Until she turns the power on next time ...

Just saying.

Ahh... she takes after her owner. What's her name? Boozy?

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Really? wrote:Sad comment from Zvan's ebegging Facebook post:
Bad time of the month for donating. I'll give some when my pension arrives early next month. Best of luck.
That's no problem, virtue has been signalled. No cash necessary.

free thoughtpolice

sp0tlight wrote:
Fuck, right. I misremembered it.
Alternatively remembered it.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Really? wrote:
There is a third option:

[youtube][/youtube]
Not the girl in yellow setting fire to the other girl's hair. Black sleeve from just behind.
So obvious it was the chubby chick with the blue hat with white lettering. You can see her lean in just after the woman poses.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Jokes at the expense of minors should be off the table. Children don't have freedom of association. Attacking them because you don't like their parents makes you more childish than the actual child.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Dave wrote:
This being what I was talking about. Common Core standards are things like:
Common Core 3rd Grade Math wrote:Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.¹
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.NBT.A.1
Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.NBT.A.2
Fluently add and subtract within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.NBT.A.3
Multiply one-digit whole numbers by multiples of 10 in the range 10-90 (e.g., 9 × 80, 5 × 60) using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.
Much of the effort to get kids to understand "math theory" has been led by UofC's EverydayMath which predates Common Core by a considerable amount, however, as I mentioned, because textbooks arent updated often, most people didnt see this "New Math" until districts updated to new textbooks, which many did in response to the CC standards. But EM and similar methods is by no means required by Common Core.
This sounds familiar...
[youtube][/youtube]

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Alternatively remembered it.
Fake news remember it.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Somehow the patriarchy missed a single music theory class, leaving it an all-girl group. The teacher had the class set the speech to music.

[youtube][/youtube]

This is the first time in human history anyone has ever told little girls and only little girls they can be whatever they want to be, etc. Messages like these get drowned out in the massive self-esteem support system that boys have in Western culture.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

sp0tlight wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Alternatively remembered it.
Fake news remember it.
http://static.lakana.com/media.fox5ny.c ... ver1.0.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/WTYELSeAZNg/maxresdefault.jpg

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Sunder wrote:Jokes at the expense of minors should be off the table. Children don't have freedom of association. Attacking them because you don't like their parents makes you more childish than the actual child.
Does this mean that Gilbert Gottfried will have to stop doing his impression of Paul Williams fucking Shirley Temple?