The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Aneris

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Aneris »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Aneris wrote:You find it important to nickpick whether your own word "doublestandard" fits, in context of extremely distorted tweets just to play the "yes, but" game? Actually, Jews don't complain about harsh anti-neo-nazi laws. It's Right Wingers who one time sympathize with conspiracy theorist and holocaust deniers, and another time with Israel. That doesn't go together. I don't see what point you are trying to make, or why you deem it necessary to play nitpicky contrarian with goal post moving, while implicitly defending extremly distorted news.
Jews, as I've shown, have complained that the sentence was too lenient and could leave to other attacks on synagogues being punished less harshly if the perps justify themselves with the spurious "it's actually about criticism of Israel" justification.

I don't care about InfoWars. I care about the fact that if you're a Palestinian-German anti-semite who sets fire to a synagogue you get a more lenient sentence than if you're a neo-nazi anti-semite who does the same thing. Yes, that's a double standard.
No, the tweet is not part of the usual twitter outrage. It is beyond the pale. The perpetrators aren't neo nazis, and 800€ damage even to a synagogue is not the first step to the death of millions of jews, neither are we at risk of trying to erect a Hitler statue. And no, I am not defending the perpetrators, either. I hate this. I only put it into perspective, and explained the context. I detest this trick (of course a SJW favourite), and I'm really allergic to that stuff. It must be possible to accept that this isn't quite like murdering millions of jews, without being accused of trivializing it.
I know you're not defending the perps, I've never said you were. And yes, saying that this is the first step towards deaths of millions of jews is stupid, and so is saying that they'll erect a Hitler statue next. I never said you were trivializing this, either.

I'm simply baffled by what is a clear double standards, when a certain group of people is punished less harshly just because they're a certain group of people, even though the crime they committed was the same.
Again, the court addressed the historical and symbolical weight. The court was taking it seriously. But that perpetrators weren't the type of anti-semites the German Law has in mind, hence this does not apply.
Many people (including Jews from The Jewish Press) disagree and think that all anti-semitic attacks should be punished in the same way. I tend to agree and think that punishing perps differently for the same acts is a double standard.
The point here is that if they wanted to go with the lenient ruling, they could have followed the assessment of the defence, but they didn't. You can always go deeper into the rabbit hole and somehow rescue Watson, his lunatic tweet, or the extremely hyperbolic article. Also, understand that Nazism in Germany has historical context and is not just some random (even dangerous) fringe group. They represent a former government, with aspirations to overthrow and re-install the former system, and they are thus more on the territory of treason, whereas another similar group does not meet such criteria. In addition to the obvious historical significance, there is also the de-nazification imposed by the allies. Obvious being obvious, none of these contexts apply to asylum seekers from the Middle East.
They aren't asylum seekers, they are Palestinian-German. I never said that they were asylum seekers and for that matter neither did Watson or InfoWars. You're putting words in other people's mouths.

I'm not interested in defending Watson or InfoWars, they're nutty conspiracy theorist blowhard with little to no redeeming qualities. My point is that other people are also concerned by the blatant double standard, including "The Jewish Press" and "Everyday Anti Semitism", hardly bastions of right-wing craziness.
That's of course unwinnable. Would they have punished middle-easterners like Neo Nazis, they'd trivialize the special context. Prison Planet and Infowars people are imbeciles, and their tweet and the article should not even merit a discussion.
Why would punish people the same way for the same act trivialize anything? If anything jewish-friendly media seems to be offended by the more lenient punishment for anti-semitic attacks.

Prison Planet and InfoWars are imbeciles and their article is hyperbolic and stupid, but the same point was made by others which aren't, like the aforementioned Jewish Press, Everyday Anti-Semitism and even Razib Khan:
None of us is an expert in law, though I am not aware that the law deliberately and generally treats some ethnic group more leniently. It is my understanding that this would be against our foundational law. However, the courts treat neo nazi crime more harshly. Therefore, if you want to treat everything the same, the neo nazi crime would have to be adjusted and punished less. That's of course not what some parties hope to see.

Again, I hate the polarization here. I have sympathy for the Jews, for historical reasons and they are also the ethnic group most targeted by hate crimes in many countries, but apparently not in Germany, according to OSCE. This makes the "news" and hyperbole even more sketchy, as it lists 5 cases of arson of "Christians and others" in 2015, compared to 2 against jews, and 99 (!) with xenophobic or racist motive. Internationally, it's true that antisemtism is often downplayed, while "islamophobia" gets all the headlines. Though I don't believe this is the case in Germany.

I have defended it in the past why the German law needs to be more punitive with neo nazis, and that's still my belief. But that does not mean that Jews can be a special class that enjoys extra protection, which also seems unwarranted given the data. Antisemitism cannot be applied in any circumstance against Jews, but must be tied to the historical circumstances (e.g. fascism targetting jews).

Interestingly, the case got little attention in Germany because it was found unremarkable. It only got into the headlines, because it gained a lot of attention in the international press. This suggests to me that this is more propaganda than anything else. Even though concern is justified, there are also hardliners and right wingers out there, who obviously exaggerate the situation to the extreme for some gain. I also have serious doubts that Razib Khan or other international commentators actually looked deeper into the matter. It now took me half an hour, and it looks even dodgier. It looked like hyperbolic outrage at the beginning, and it shapes up to be a organized propaganda. This has nothing to do with Jews in Germany, or with some young men and burning a door of a synagogue, but big politics and manipulation and it's sad that people here fall for this stuff so easily.

The point is, all these commentators fail to explain what they think "was an act of criminal arson, but not anti-Semitic" means. They assume some magic, but I don't see it. They utterly fail to comphrend the historical context of anti-semitism in Germany, which makes me really sad. Vox even writes (from your link) "ut apparently, not all synagogue burnings are equal", because they aren't. The synagogue burnings orchestrated by the Nazis, and the Holocaust just are not like other cases. It's terrible that this even needs an explanation.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

katamari Damassi wrote:Husband thinks I'm nuts, but I blame my episode on a bad deep tissue massage I had onboard. I don't think the woman is a licensed masseuse. I read about a woman who had a fatal stroke a day or so after getting an adjustment from a chiropractor.
Glad you're feeling better, kD, and that the CT was clear. My neurologist colleague has a patient who had a stroke after a manipulation to xir neck by a massage therapist. That's just the patient who survived and talks to our students, so there are probably more with similar outcomes from massage therapist or chiropractor "treatments." The neck manipulations in particular put your vertebral arteries at risk.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Very sorry to hear about your brother, Couch -condolences to you and your family.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

katamari Damassi wrote:Husband thinks I'm nuts, but I blame my episode on a bad deep tissue massage I had onboard. I don't think the woman is a licensed masseuse. I read about a woman who had a fatal stroke a day or so after getting an adjustment from a chiropractor.
Neck 'adjustments' from chiropractors can tear the intima (lining) of the vertebral arteries, which travel up through little holes in the sides of the cervical vertebra. To do this the vertebrae have to be taken to their limits on range of motion and then tweaked just a bit further. This can make a cracking noise and is taken by chiropractors to mean they have done something good, but sometimes it also means the holes in adjacent vertebrae have moved so they no longer align and the vertebral artery has an experience that is like being chewed with a pair of blunt scissors. A clot forms on the torn intima and then drifts downstream into your posterior fossa and infarcts some unlucky part of the brain stem.
Your symptom of not being able to locate your arm and get it into your pocket is more likely a sign of a hiccup in the contralateral parietal lobe, and its circulation comes from the carotids. A CT doesn't rule out a TIA, which by definition leaves no damage. If it were a TIA someone should do a doppler U/S on your carotids, and an echocardiogram to look for sources of platelet emboli. Some would add a Holter monitor to look for intermittent AF. An 81mg ASA each day would be wise if no reason to avoid it like ulcers. If you are a relatively young non-smoking, non-diabetic with no HT then such an episode might be more commonly caused by migraine (no you don't have to have a headache), though that cannot be proved, just inferred from a history of migraines or the development of other aura symptoms without headaches, which get much more common as we age. I have started having very pretty fortification spectra occasionally, but get no migraine headaches, which is no surprise when pushing sixty. Anyway, ask about finishing the investigation when you get home - and I hope it all turns out OK.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Aneris wrote:None of us is an expert in law, though I am not aware that the law deliberately and generally treats some ethnic group more leniently. It is my understanding that this would be against our foundational law. However, the courts treat neo nazi crime more harshly. Therefore, if you want to treat everything the same, the neo nazi crime would have to be adjusted and punished less. That's of course not what some parties hope to see.
Why not punish the non-neo nazi crimes more? Attempted arson, regardless of its motivation, is a serious crime, it's not a bullshit SJW "crime against feelings". I think that probation is way too lenient.
Again, I hate the polarization here. I have sympathy for the Jews, for historical reasons and they are also the ethnic group most targeted by hate crimes in many countries, but apparently not in Germany, according to OSCE. This makes the "news" and hyperbole even more sketchy, as it lists 5 cases of arson of "Christians and others" in 2015, compared to 2 against jews, and 99 (!) with xenophobic or racist motive. Internationally, it's true that antisemtism is often downplayed, while "islamophobia" gets all the headlines. Though I don't believe this is the case in Germany.
I don't think that antisemitism is downplayed, per se, but that it's downplayed when it's from muslims. "Oh they were just protesting against Israel"...but setting fire to a synagogue? It is a specious excuse. There's a lot of antisemitism in muslim communities, and all too often it's not focused on because of SJW oppression narratives.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

screwtape wrote:
Neck 'adjustments' from chiropractors can tear the intima (lining) of the vertebral arteries, which travel up through little holes in the sides of the cervical vertebra. To do this the vertebrae have to be taken to their limits on range of motion and then tweaked just a bit further. This can make a cracking noise and is taken by chiropractors to mean they have done something good, but sometimes it also means the holes in adjacent vertebrae have moved so they no longer align and the vertebral artery has an experience that is like being chewed with a pair of blunt scissors. A clot forms on the torn intima and then drifts downstream into your posterior fossa and infarcts some unlucky part of the brain stem.
Your symptom of not being able to locate your arm and get it into your pocket is more likely a sign of a hiccup in the contralateral parietal lobe, and its circulation comes from the carotids. A CT doesn't rule out a TIA, which by definition leaves no damage. If it were a TIA someone should do a doppler U/S on your carotids, and an echocardiogram to look for sources of platelet emboli. Some would add a Holter monitor to look for intermittent AF. An 81mg ASA each day would be wise if no reason to avoid it like ulcers. If you are a relatively young non-smoking, non-diabetic with no HT then such an episode might be more commonly caused by migraine (no you don't have to have a headache), though that cannot be proved, just inferred from a history of migraines or the development of other aura symptoms without headaches, which get much more common as we age. I have started having very pretty fortification spectra occasionally, but get no migraine headaches, which is no surprise when pushing sixty. Anyway, ask about finishing the investigation when you get home - and I hope it all turns out OK.
Lateral medullary syndrome is the type of brainstem stroke that colleague's patient had, and after hearing xir story, I wouldn't go anywhere near a chiropractor or massage therapist who does neck manipulations.

OTOH, physical therapy is da bomb, AFAIC, at least for my hip osteoarthritis and muscle injury. I'm at least an order of magnitude better after 3 sessions (plus exercises twice a day that I do at home) - can get up out of a chair or out of my car without pain, and without using my arms to launch/haul myself up. For my PT sessions, I get stretched and the therapist pulls on my leg and hip to open the joint space a bit, but 90% of the session I'm doing strengthening and stretching exercises myself. The other patients, who are all older and/or much fatter than I am, seem to spend more time getting massages and doing very gentle conditioning (we're all in the same large room with the equipment and tables) ... but perhaps it's a good sign that my treatment is more assertive? My physical therapist (the sports one) started putting weights on my ankles for the strengthening exercises after the first session ... the bastard.

But no, I honestly have no complaints about my treatment, and I'm optimistic about returning to running. I'll need to be better abut cross-training with cycling and swimming. I might be a little squicked about preparing and presenting the hip joint dissection for the medical students next month though. :bjarte:

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

screwtape wrote:
Thanks. A Doppler on my carotid was done and was clear. I've been taking 81mgs of aspirin daily for the last couple of years. I have a doctor appointment on the 26 so I hope to get whatever else I need done then. Any advice on what else I can do or should avoid until then?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Re: this fire-bombing thingy in Germany.

I don't know the details of that, but in the UK, a bloke was jailed for a YEAR for leaving some bacon sarnies outside a Mosque. This man died in prison halfway through his jail term, and the authorities are very quiet as to why....

Compare that with the incident in Germany. I think people are quite right to think there are some double standards at play.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bhurzum wrote:
Aneris wrote:You believe retarded infowars?
So, if infowars reports on something, it automatically didn't happen or it is not to be believed? Well, that seems to be a fair and balanced approach.
Aneris wrote:In reality, they were sentenced by the book, but the court found that their motivation was based on the Israel-Palestine conflict, because they were from the region.
Hang on a minute, infowars reported on this so that means it...didn't happen? Wait, what?
Aneris wrote:I guess the article had already spin, and Watson spins it furher, making it seem they got away scots-free.
Um, I hate to break it to you , sparky, but not everyone arrives at the same knee-jerk conclusion(s) that you do. When I read the tweet, I assumed nothing - I waited until I read the article itself before the cogs turned and my (half) opinion begun to germinate. Also, at the time of writing, we still don't know enough for me (personally) to arrive at a solid conclusion.
Aneris wrote:Don't be an idiot.
After you, boxhead.
Come on, dude! I've pointed out before that Aneris has complete knowledge of everything that happens in oh-so-perfect Krautland, and if she asserts everything is rosy, and justice has been done, then who are you to question her. Dumb squaddie.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
John D wrote:Damn it Phil.... pick up this Sherman Tank in France for $440,000!

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-w ... _know.html
Tempting, but I just bought my bike yesterday afternoon and don't have the money for an extra vehicle...
Bolt the fuckers together, and turn it into a kettenkrad:

http://argunners.com/wp-content/uploads ... r-sale.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Re: this fire-bombing thingy in Germany.

I don't know the details of that, but in the UK, a bloke was jailed for a YEAR for leaving some bacon sarnies outside a Mosque. This man died in prison halfway through his jail term, and the authorities are very quiet as to why....

Compare that with the incident in Germany. I think people are quite right to think there are some double standards at play.
And the funny thing is, a muslim at a Christian service - at St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral in Glasgow, no less - was invited to give a reading, whereupon she proceeded to recite, in Arabic, passages from the koran which deny the divinity of Christ.

No charges have been brought against the saucy mohammadean, of course. And nor should there be - just as there should be no charges, save ones relating solely to littering, brought against someone leaving some bacon around a mosque.

Check out the embarrasingly craven response of the catherdal's provost; I swear some people get a thrill from the idea of abject dhimmitude: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-38591559

feathers

Post by feathers »

screwtape wrote:...the holes in adjacent vertebrae have moved so they no longer align and the vertebral artery has an experience that is like being chewed with a pair of blunt scissors. A clot forms on the torn intima and then drifts downstream into your posterior fossa and infarcts some unlucky part of the brain stem. [...] a hiccup in the contralateral parietal lobe, and its circulation comes from the carotids. A CT doesn't rule out a TIA, which by definition leaves no damage. If it were a TIA someone should do a doppler U/S on your carotids, and an echocardiogram to look for sources of platelet emboli. Some would add a Holter monitor to look for intermittent AF. An 81mg ASA each day would be wise if no reason to avoid it like ulcers.
Goodness, sounds like you're explaining how a Borg is constructed :shock:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Lsuoma wrote:Bolt the fuckers together, and turn it into a kettenkrad:

http://argunners.com/wp-content/uploads ... r-sale.jpg
Then call it "My Little Tank".

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... bc3eb0.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Tigzy wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Re: this fire-bombing thingy in Germany.

And the funny thing is, a muslim at a Christian service - at St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral in Glasgow, no less - was invited to give a reading, whereupon she proceeded to recite, in Arabic, passages from the koran which deny the divinity of Christ.

No charges have been brought against the saucy mohammadean, of course. And nor should there be - just as there should be no charges, save ones relating solely to littering, brought against someone leaving some bacon around a mosque.

Check out the embarrasingly craven response of the catherdal's provost; I swear some people get a thrill from the idea of abject dhimmitude: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-38591559
The SJWs and leftists see this as "community building" and tolerance. Muslim supremacists see this as a big weakness. They laugh at how weak christians are and basically treat them as useful idiots.

Personally I think it's idiotic to invite muslims to give readings in christian churches. It's not a crime, just very stupid. We need to teach muslims that modern society doesn't give two shits about their religion and only cares about their behavior, not make them think that their religion matter to us.

Islam, at its core, is about supremacy. The so-called "tolerance" of the Golden Age of islam was simply a smart business plan on Mohammed's part: if you pay taxes to your local muslim autorithy we'll let you go pretty much unmolested, even if you're a filthy kaffir and you should know better. If you don't pay taxes...well I'm afraid you won't be "protected" anymore, if you catch my drift. This isn't tolerance, it's how the mob operates: pay and we'll leave you more or less alone, don't pay and bad stuff will happen, but it will only be your fault.

If you contrast this with traditional christianity (not its modern, watered down, thankfully castrated version), which was about conversion, exile or death, islam may look relatively better. But if you contrast the muslim system with modernity it's not "tolerant", it's a racket. SJWs and other leftists who are so fascinated by the muslim Golden Age live in a dream, a myth created by applying modern meanings to the standards of societies of centuries ago.

Sure, jews had it better in Mozarabic Spain had it relatively better than after the Reconquista. But this doesn't mean that they were treated as equal to the muslims, or enjoyed the civil and social rights that everyone has in the west right now. It's very stupid to think that the dhimmi system is even remotely comparable to modern liberal democracies.

Religions are never "tolerant" or "egalitarian". They're al incredibly violent and oppressive towards the heretics, the nonbelivers, the pagans and the infidels (yes, even buddhism). They're all about "in-group morality, out-group hostility". The ideas of equal human rights for all people regardless of their religious affiliation isn't a religious invention, it's the product of the reflections of people who were non-traditional, unconventional and heretic, even if they did believe in a god or gods. Never mistake smart social business plans for equal rights.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Brive1987 wrote:Bwhahahah.

Jacket-gate has hit Australia. Leaked video of off camera newsreader jelly fight over clashing jackets.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/5cdb ... f963da68c3

Must watch
https://files.readanybook.com/515246/fi ... o-lead.jpg

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Condolences, Couch.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'm sorry about your brother, Couch, my condolences.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ reveals himself to be a "dictionary scientist"
It was weird because they were using terms I knew and that were legitimately part of a scientific discipline, but they were using them in ways that were crazy inappropriate

:lol:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Service Dog wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Bwhahahah.

Jacket-gate has hit Australia. Leaked video of off camera newsreader jelly fight over clashing jackets.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/5cdb ... f963da68c3

Must watch
https://files.readanybook.com/515246/fi ... o-lead.jpg

You mean you aren't on "Team Amber"?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/rendezvie ... f6897a20b7

Then you have simply "never quite come to grips with the female conflict model". Shame on you.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

All my sympathies to you and your family, Couch.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

katamari Damassi wrote: Thanks. A Doppler on my carotid was done and was clear. I've been taking 81mgs of aspirin daily for the last couple of years. I have a doctor appointment on the 26 so I hope to get whatever else I need done then. Any advice on what else I can do or should avoid until then?
Just blue-haired skepckicks; no need for full-blown apoplexy.

jg64

Post by jg64 »

Sorry to hear about your brother, Couch.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

The one on the left! I had the same look from some bird when I said we should share the bill on a first date.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Dawkins tweets this...
...and a lot of the alt-right and MRA types are acting like SJWs, and moaning at him for supporting it. I'm surprised the SJWs haven't attacked him yet, for pushing his white, privileged, "toxic sludge" reputation on the latest SJW purity test. Or, maybe they have, and most of them have me blocked, etc. ;)

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh, and here's the ass-rocket:

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... i8jxvy.jpg
Get your motor running
Head out on the highway.....

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Dawkins tweets this...

[.tweet][/tweet]

...and a lot of the alt-right and MRA types are acting like SJWs, and moaning at him for supporting it. I'm surprised the SJWs haven't attacked him yet, for pushing his white, privileged, "toxic sludge" reputation on the latest SJW purity test. Or, maybe they have, and most of them have me blocked, etc. ;)
:-) Politics, strange bedfellows, and all that. But Inauguration 2016 shaping up to be a reprise of the "Shoot-out at the O.K. Corral":

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

What is it with Corbyn-style beard scruff, these days? The Silver Fox himself, AC Grayling, has lost his razor. Get it sorted, AC.

Must be something to do with Brexit. Grayling, one of the loudest "Remoaners" is getting increasingly hysterical and unhinged on social media, and is now demanding some sort of "national strike" to reverse the decision!!!

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-p ... ayling.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Tigzy wrote: <snip>

Personally I think it's idiotic to invite muslims to give readings in christian churches. It's not a crime, just very stupid. We need to teach muslims that modern society doesn't give two shits about their religion and only cares about their behavior, not make them think that their religion matter to us. ....

Sure, jews had it better in Mozarabic Spain had it relatively better than after the Reconquista. But this doesn't mean that they were treated as equal to the muslims, or enjoyed the civil and social rights that everyone has in the west right now. It's very stupid to think that the dhimmi system is even remotely comparable to modern liberal democracies.

Religions are never "tolerant" or "egalitarian". They're al incredibly violent and oppressive towards the heretics, the nonbelivers, the pagans and the infidels (yes, even buddhism). They're all about "in-group morality, out-group hostility". ....
Indeed; well said. Apropos of which; cases-in-point:

Though I'm happy to see that, despite Obama's & Clinton's "Islam is a religion of peace", not all Americans are quite as deluded as to the nature of Islam that seems to characterize too many in Germany and Europe:

Curious though that many "Muricans" are happy to throw stones at Islam, in which I am of course happy - in general - to support them, but turn tail - periodically blocking me - when I suggest Christianity and Christians bear some uncomfortable resemblances to the worst of Islam. "In group morality" and all that.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote:Dumb squaddie.
You fuckin' wot, mate?

British squaddies are smart...

[youtube][/youtube]

we get the job done...

[youtube][/youtube]
(the above is actually marines (spit) plus it was staged)

and we Jocks are the cream of the crop!

[youtube][/youtube]

Aye.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Mc Derp, being mostly boring but it is fun to see her having a sat with Kevin Logan and Dr Kristi Snowflake. :P
[youtube][/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Dawkins tweets this... ...and a lot of the alt-right and MRA types are acting like SJWs, and moaning at him for supporting it. I'm surprised the SJWs haven't attacked him yet, for pushing his white, privileged, "toxic sludge" reputation on the latest SJW purity test. Or, maybe they have, and most of them have me blocked, etc. ;)
The Trump administration is going to have a significant affect on abortion rights with his nominations to the supreme court. He has stated his wish to appoint pro-life justices and abolish Roe v. Wade and kick the hot potato back down to the states.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Donald_ ... ortion.htm

I can't fault Dawkins for having a pro-woman position against Trump. Honestly, this issue was one of the bitter pills I had to swallow in voting for Trump. No candidate gives you everything you want.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Dawkins tweets this...

They're different strains of the same 'tarded archetype. The right is currently basking in their victory and having their own version of the left's "I drink male tears" shit that they made fun of mere months ago.

Some idiot says this tweet proves Dawkins has "lost his integrity." Fuck the lot of them. That old white crusty fuck has more integrity in his ballhairs than most of Twatter combined.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sunder wrote:They're different strains of the same 'tarded archetype. The right is currently basking in their victory and having their own version of the left's "I drink male tears" shit that they made fun of mere months ago.

Some idiot says this tweet proves Dawkins has "lost his integrity." Fuck the lot of them. That old white crusty fuck has more integrity in his ballhairs than most of Twatter combined.
Some people reason along binary lines, and can't fathom that someone might be highly critical of both SJWs and Trump. Dawkins is a left-libertarian and a true progressive. The SJWs hate him because he hasn't drunk the regressive kool-aid. The alt-right-whatever hates him because he hasn't drunk their kool-aid. He's (surprise, surprise) a free thinker.

Dawkins is an old school progressive, someone who is interested in human rights and real issues, including abortion rights, and not in bullshit like trigger warnings or safe spaces or video games or gendered toys. He's also not a dhimmi and isn't afraid to call out islam for its many flaws. He said it very clearly in his "Dear muslima" comment: he's against privileged middle-class radfems whining about evil trolls on the internet and offers of coffee in elevators because he thinks that there are more important things to discuss.

The SJWs are too stupid to understand that someone might care about reproductive rights, gay marriage and separation of church and state AND consider Critical Race Theory to be bullshit, and islam to be in dire need of modernization. The alt-mra-whatever groups seems to be too stupid to realize that someone might dislike the SJWs but still be interested in progressive ideas.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

I can't wait until infowars get wind of this...
Then again, if infowars report on it, it'll delete it from reality.

Fuck!

Pseudomonas

Post by Pseudomonas »

My condolences, Couch.

Pseudomonas

Really?

Post by Really? »

Hey, Couch. I'm very sorry for your loss and I hope that the Pit can at the very least give you a chuckle.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Sunder wrote:They're different strains of the same 'tarded archetype. The right is currently basking in their victory and having their own version of the left's "I drink male tears" shit that they made fun of mere months ago.

Some people reason along binary lines, and can't fathom that someone might be highly critical of both SJWs and Trump. Dawkins is a left-libertarian and a true progressive. The SJWs hate him because he hasn't drunk the regressive kool-aid. The alt-right-whatever hates him because he hasn't drunk their kool-aid. He's (surprise, surprise) a free thinker.

Dawkins is an old school progressive, someone who is interested in human rights and real issues, including abortion rights, and not in bullshit like trigger warnings or safe spaces or video games or gendered toys. He's also not a dhimmi and isn't afraid to call out islam for its many flaws. He said it very clearly in his "Dear muslima" comment: he's against privileged middle-class radfems whining about evil trolls on the internet and offers of coffee in elevators because he thinks that there are more important things to discuss.

The SJWs are too stupid to understand that someone might care about reproductive rights, gay marriage and separation of church and state AND consider Critical Race Theory to be bullshit, and islam to be in dire need of modernization. The alt-mra-whatever groups seems to be too stupid to realize that someone might dislike the SJWs but still be interested in progressive ideas.
The fundamental lack of understanding of the political landscape of the whole is really the big failure in terms of the political discourse right now, especially when understanding authoritarianism vs. anti-authoritarianism beliefs.

You have four quadrants. There's the top-left, which is the communists at the extreme and the "New Progressives" at the not so extreme, you have the top-right which has all sorts of traditionalism, the bottom right which is big L Libertarianism and Capitalist Anarchy at the extreme, and you have the bottom left, where I put my own politics, which has anarchism as the extreme.

This is much more accurate than the traditional American political spectrum frame which has communism at one end and libertarianism at the other.

The big problem is much of the left moving up on the political spectrum, moving away from people who value individual liberty and fair dealing (those things IMO are crucially related). Because of that, the bottom left hand corner has little to no actual political representation right now. No politicians, no think tanks, relatively little in the way of having our own news and opinion sources. Probably just a few bloggers and vloggers and podcasters.

In order to move forward, IMO, I do think that this more accurate political landscape needs to be popularized. Even if people don't agree with it, having the anti-authoritarian left certainly acts as IMO the best balance to the authoritarian left.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Kirbmarc wrote:Dawkins is an old school progressive, someone who is interested in human rights and real issues, including abortion rights, and not in bullshit like trigger warnings or safe spaces or video games or gendered toys. He's also not a dhimmi and isn't afraid to call out islam for its many flaws. He said it very clearly in his "Dear muslima" comment: he's against privileged middle-class radfems whining about evil trolls on the internet and offers of coffee in elevators because he thinks that there are more important things to discuss.
Yup. I come from the same place. Some SJWs used to be like this, but they lost their principles.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Couch wrote:I've been gone for several weeeks, not that I post much, but I do read everything and weirdly feel like I know a lot of you sad sacks.

So, I've had to bury my brother; who at 54 died snorkeling for lobsters at dusk, as was his thing, down in front of mum's place. Seems like he had another of the seizures he'd been having in recent weeks since they changed his medication - he's battled mental illness since his teens.

The coroner actually rings me with updates. she's taken an interest as it looks like they might be having a swing at my bro's psychiatrist at the private hospital I'd put him into; who it turns out was using a rip-the-bandaid-off appracoh to my bros's thirty year addiction to benzodiazepines, in the face of the mortality risks now a well know sequalae of too-rapid benzo withdrawl.

So, anyway, that's two boys down and five siblings remaining, I'm the youngest; but we're tight, and mum has handled it bettter than expected. I think she realised her boy had had a rough trot and died doing probably the one thing he still got some pleasure from. The old man died a dozen years back.

Anyway, I've had to skim, but I think the upshot of the last hundred and fifty-odd pages is PZ'z gone full red; as in you-USAians-prob-need-to-reform-the-House-Committee sort of Red;

That, and I was intending to launch into a full-throated treatise as to why lawyers (as arguably opposed to Engineeers or any of the other professions) are, and make, good skeptics; then forced myself to reflect on how actually many of my professional friends and colleagues, whether in academia, private practice, or in-house, seem to fall for her most obvious crap; as evidenced by their cheerfully post and re-tweet Icke, Wolfe, Mercola and the like. So no defence of lawyers-as-better-innate-skeptics from me.

Good to be back reading here. I hope everyone is well and your lives are sprinkled with good bits.

Couch.
My condolences for what they're worth. Snorkeling and lobstering sounds pretty cool.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Bhurzum wrote:I can't wait until infowars get wind of this...
Then again, if infowars report on it, it'll delete it from reality.

Fuck!
He he. Yeah, I saw this a few days ago. Even The Commander, who lays into the SJWs and FTBullies for their [redacted - promised FT I would be in my best behaviour! :) ], immediately thought 4chan were behind it.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
How Can Literature Resist Islamophobia? One Writer Answers: Gay Muslim Furry Romance.
The Time He Desires is the story of Aziz, a cheetah in a faltering heterosexual marriage who explores the boundaries of his sexuality with the help of a gay fox.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2017 ... trump.html

Please kill me now.
:o :o :o

:lol: :lol: :lol:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
John D wrote:Damn it Phil.... pick up this Sherman Tank in France for $440,000!

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-w ... _know.html
Tempting, but I just bought my bike yesterday afternoon and don't have the money for an extra vehicle...
Pics or it did not happen. Tits or GTFO!

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Goddamn, Phil. How many cc's?

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Sorry to hear about your brother Couch.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Nice bike Phil, safe riding.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Kirbmarc wrote:Some people reason along binary lines, and can't fathom that someone might be highly critical of both SJWs and Trump. Dawkins is a left-libertarian and a true progressive. The SJWs hate him because he hasn't drunk the regressive kool-aid. The alt-right-whatever hates him because he hasn't drunk their kool-aid. He's (surprise, surprise) a free thinker.
Dawkins quite disappointed me on the recent Sam Harris podcast. It was a recording of them doing a presentation together somewhere in LA.

Dawkins said something to the effect that he looks forward to the first woman president. It was so obviously identity politics that it made me wish that Margaret Thatcher and Donald Trump's political love-child daughter runs and wins as president at the next election, just to see what he says then.

dogen

Post by dogen »

My sincere condolences, Couch. Death, the fucker, rarely knocks before he enters.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Goddamn, Phil. How many cc's?
700, but it has been limited to 45hp and will stay that way for the next 2 years. After that I'll be allowed to pass a 7 hours course that will let me drive any power, and I'll release the bike to its original 74.8hp.

A good bike for a beginner, light and playful when needs be.

feathers

Post by feathers »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Get your motor running
Head out on the highway.....
I've already told him. You were thinking of the end of that film, right?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I guess I should have scrolled down before demanding tits or GTFO.

Looks like a Honda. CBR 600/650? 1000?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
700, but it has been limited to 45hp and will stay that way for the next 2 years. After that I'll be allowed to pass a 7 hours course that will let me drive any power, and I'll release the bike to its original 74.8hp.

Ahhhhhh! Yamaha Tracer 700 of course! Nice. Enjoy.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Yamaha Tracer 700. It's a new model from 2016 based on the MT07 chassis, and made specifically for touring duo.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Yamaha Tracer 700. It's a new model from 2016 based on the MT07 chassis, and made specifically for touring duo.
Reading the specs. I had to give up riding years ago. After around 10 mins I would not be able to restrain myself and I would go nuts.

I would get off the bike after a ride and my face would feel bloated from all the adrenaline. I had to quit. I was not scared of dying but the thought that eventually (law of averages) I was going to maim myself eventually made me walk away.

I still miss it though.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I'm a careful biker. I'm not a speed freak, but I do love the accelerations, even from 30 to 50km/h. Mostly it's dynamic driving that has the most appeal for me, as opposed to going as fast as possible. Ali loves it too, which is a nice bonus.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

AndrewV69 wrote:Reading the specs. I had to give up riding years ago. After around 10 mins I would not be able to restrain myself and I would go nuts.

I would get off the bike after a ride and my face would feel bloated from all the adrenaline. I had to quit. I was not scared of dying but the thought that eventually (law of averages) I was going to maim myself eventually made me walk away.

I still miss it though.
hehe, same here.

I part-traded an old Jaguar for a Rocket III, spent three or four months looking death in the eye (daily) before part-trading the bugger for a BMW. I lost count of the amount of times I got off the fucker and had "disco leg" and the same heart rate I'd get from an hour of squash.

There's an evil little circuit inside my head which stays dormant until I get onto a motorbike and all hell breaks loose - "faster, faster, overtake this twat, now that twat, faster, get your knee down" is all I hear.

I'm still "into" bikes but only from the sidelines now.

Phil, when you're a bit more confident/experienced, see if you can snag a ride on a Rocket III - you'll do the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs, mate! Don't blame me for the state of your boxers though...

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Galler ... 20%201.jpg

I still get twitchy just from looking at the bastards.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

There was a used Rocket III going for 12 999 euros at the local Triumph shop at the time I was supposed to pass the "all categories" exam, and it was very tempting. But I wouldn't have taken one as a first bike. 2 or 3 years with the tracer should give me the required experience. After that, we'll see...

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

I've been awa' fer a bit in Boston, in the land of Fallout 4 (a party to which I have come very, very late). If anyone's thinking of playing it I highly recommend it. It's true it's gone more actioney and shootery-oriented, so in one sense the RPG element in Bethesda games is continuing its long, slow decline. It's also true that their ancient game engine continues to be janky, even in 64 bit. But it's a great game for all that, totally absorbing, with emotionally moving bits of story, and immersion up the wazoo. Personally I feel it could have that and still retain some of the more "fiddly" RPG elements which I like, but that's what modding is for.

Speaking of modding, there's a great S.T.E.P. guide from someone called Gernash that I used as a basis - it brings one quickly up to speed on the typically-used basic mods.

The main reason I wanted to mention this though, is that there's a great quest mod called "Atomic Radio, Tales of the Commonwealth", which was done by the same team that did "Interesting NPCs" in Skyrim, if anyone remembers that. Really excellent bunch of quest additions, well written, well voice-acted, professionally recorded (which was where Interesting NPCs fell down a bit, with occasion poor recording with room reverb - they got it right this time). The quests are pretty much Obsidian-level in terms of being a bit more interesting and quirky than what most professional developers with an eye on AAA inclusiveness would do. Quirky characters, odd social setups, etc. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

You damn Euros and your nanny state gubmint. That would never fly in 'murka. How in H do you cut a bike horsepower in half anyway?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

gurugeorge wrote:I've been awa' fer a bit in Boston, in the land of Fallout 4 <snip>
You've convinced me.

I'm new to Fallout (never tried any of the earlier titles) so I'm going into this completely blind. Looks like there's plenty of DLC to add longevity to the game too, which is always nice.

Installing it now.

Stay tuned...