The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Tapir

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Tapir »

Late last year PZ appeared on Michael Slate's KPFK radio show to discuss #RefuseFascism alongside Andy Zee. Zee is the head of Revolutionary Books. Revolutionary Books appears to be the publishing wing of the Revolutionary Communist Party of the USA. Here's their mission statement...

http://www.revolutionbooksnyc.org/home.html
The world today, with all its horrors, holds the potential for something far better. To unlock that – at the foundation of RB – is the most advanced scientific theory and leadership for an actual revolution for the emancipation of humanity: the new synthesis of communism brought forward by the revolutionary leader, Bob Avakian.
Here's an indirect link to the radio show - look for Michael Slate 16th Dec 2016.

http://archive.kpfk.org/

At the end of the segment PZ chirpily told Zee he'll stop by the Revolution Books store. PZ would subsequently share a platform with Zee and other 'Revolutionary Communists' at the #RefuseFascism event....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5LQeB ... hevcXFMyHQ

And now PZ is plugging a video of Cornel West and Carl Dix on O'Reilly's show. They are there to answer questions about the #RefuseFascism thing that PZ has enthusiastically embraced.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ascistusa/

[youtube][/youtube]

Carl Dix is a founding member of the Revolutionary Communist Party of the USA and in a moment of obliviousness Dix reminds O'Reilly that "People gave Hitler a chance and we saw what that meant for humanity...". Dix presumably hails from the "Yes the Communists killed tens of millions but they weren't real Communists" school.

Is PZ turning Red?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Mr. X, Indeed wrote:"Kiss our asses and we might grace your podunk racist town with a call center."
She's a Cornell MBA who has a marketing(!) firm in SF. I wonder how many homeless she steps over and ignores on the way to work everyday. If the rest of us pull ourselves up by our bootstraps we can be as wonderful as her.

I have no idea why people consider the Dems to be elitist.
That's, quite frankly, not only elitist, but really fucking stupid.

People don't invest in San Francisco or Los Angeles because "ZOMG diversity". They invest there because of better structures, better infrastructure and tax breaks and higher standards of living in general. I wonder if she's willing to move her marketing firm to a paradise of diversity like Compton. Or is she racist against black people?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Or Baltimore. Or Detroit. Why aren't you fighting racism by offering jobs to black people in poor cities where they are the majority, Mrs. Byerley? Are you a racist? It's not just fiber or tax break, after all. Don't your best and brightest wish to help poor black people by relocating themselves to Detroit? Or is that gentrification?

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Mr. X, Indeed wrote:"Kiss our asses and we might grace your podunk racist town with a call center."
She's a Cornell MBA who has a marketing(!) firm in SF. I wonder how many homeless she steps over and ignores on the way to work everyday. If the rest of us pull ourselves up by our bootstraps we can be as wonderful as her.

If you replace 'midwest' and 'rural' with 'inner city shitholes' and call for the people in those shitholes to clean up their act you would be called a racist by these out of touch elites.

Malky

Post by Malky »

Just dropping this here - God help us for the next 4 years:

http://www.jeremystyron.com/2017/01/heil-to-the-drumpf/

feathers

Post by feathers »

Tapir wrote:Late last year PZ appeared on Michael Slate's KPFK radio show to discuss #RefuseFascism alongside Andy Zee. Zee is the head of Revolutionary Books.
Who else read that initially as Revolutionary Kooks?

greylurker

Post by greylurker »

Malky wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:Sorry to go off on a tangent, but didn't the guy who did the 1/3rd of the holocaust series describe himself as an engineer?
It just occured to me as I just watched a Douglas Murray interview where he brought up that Osama bin Laden and some other extremist preacher were engineers. This caught my attention because I remembered that James Randi had said that engineers were easy people to fool and since then i have noticed that engineers pop up all over the place in connection with whacky and extremist views. When they tell you that people who join cults are usually above average intelligence, they usually point to members with degrees in engineering. How many of Intelligent design's proponents are engineers, or biological engineers. Whenever they say there is no consensus on climate change it is because they have surveyed scientists AND engineers.

:nin:
Damn, I'm not first. I just googled "crackpot engineer" and found Salem Hypothesis: http://scienceblogs.com/tfk/2007/11/11/ ... explained/
My two cents on the matter is that engineers are clever people (they have to be) but that they're taught to listen, believe and obey. They're rarely if ever taught why the equations they use work. They're rarely taught to be skeptical even of what on a superficial analysis seem to work. They're simply taught that their equations work and that's it. Engineers tend to trust what seems to work without asking themselves why, so they tend to be ideologically conservative and as a consequence they're attracted to ideologically conservative conspiracy theories (creationism, climate change denialism, religious wackyness), with little to no skepticism.

On the other hand an idle hypothesis that I have is that people working in the humanities have to exact same problem of lack of skepticism and dogmatism since they're rarely thought but since they're more interested in caring about other humans instead of simply trusting what works they're more attracted to ideologically progressive conspiracy theories (Social Justice, regressive leftism, environmentalist bullshit, granola girl woo).
I have to take issue with this - particularly the highlighted but above. My degree is is Mech Eng (From Imperial College) and it is certainly not my recollection of how I was taught. From memory we were taught how the equations weuised were derived and we were expected to understand them not just use them as a template to plug numbers in. We knew that most of what were deriving could not actually be solved but the next stage was how to approximate to enable a calculation to be done and solved for a practical situations. Also at college they were at the cutting edge of what were new techniques at the time including stuff such a finite element analysis and computer modelling items such a stress fractures.
My engineering(electronic) degree fom Uni Western Australia in the late 70's early 80's matches Malky's. First year was general engines with physics, chem and maths units tacked on, second year split into Civil/Mech, Electrical/Electronic, third and forth years split again into Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Electronic. Any formulae used were derived from first principles and you had to understand the derivations.
The only CAD package we had was SPICE circuit simulator using punched cards (and you still had to understand the underlying equations used).

However a few years back I was doing some tutoring for a family member doing a Diploma in Civil Engineering, and noticed most of the fomulae weren't derived, and you just stuck in the numbers. That course did not require a knowledge of calculus, which would have been necessary for most of the derivations. Maybe this is where the 'obey the formular' mindset comes from?

Any recent engineering graduates here - has the expansion of technical knowledge required to be taught now in the same amount of time pushed out the basic derivations?

#notallengineers

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Oglebart wrote:Brive, I was going to ask you for a (p)update on the doggy situation, how's it going? What name have you decided on for him/her?
We picked up the fuzz ball yesterday. It identifies as "he" which is CIS.

I'll PM name - but 8 week old puppy spent a good part of last night weeping. During the wakeful hours he is showered with love from all directions. Not least my wife who has immediately regressed to baby-mother mode.

He lives in an exercise octagonal with a bed all on rubber flooring in the main living area. He has toileted 3-4 times outside "good boy" - which is about equal to his other favourite location; the sisel rug.

I now know that "chicken necks" are an actual purchasable product.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Kirbmarc wrote:

That's, quite frankly, not only elitist, but really fucking stupid.

People don't invest in San Francisco or Los Angeles because "ZOMG diversity". They invest there because of better structures, better infrastructure and tax breaks and higher standards of living in general. I wonder if she's willing to move her marketing firm to a paradise of diversity like Compton. Or is she racist against black people?
Yeah, its also stupid because of the way "tolerance" and "diversity" are in the cities. As you alluded, most cities that have neighborhoods and suburbs that are segregated by race and ethnicity. Detroit might be "diverse", but generally the middle easterners hang together in Dearborn, black folks live in Detroit and Southfield, white folks live in Warren, Royal Oak and Ferndale, Hasidic Jews live in Oak Park, etc. I teach in a school which is greater than 90% black and about 2 miles away a friend of mine teaches in a school that is probably 85% white.

We "tolerate" each other, I suppose, but it's hardly Kumbaya. There is plenty of racial tension and distrust to go around. There are also separate community spaces and schools for different ethnic groups. This isn't legally mandated, but people don't just mix and come together to "celebrate diversity" because you make the formal exclusion of people along racial lines illegal. They generally still look for spaces that have lots of people "like them" (which often means racially and culturally) and go to those spaces. It's fully legal for black folks to migrate out to North Dakota and start farming wheat. It's not North Dakota's fault that they haven't done this, and I don't seen why it should be up to a bunch of farmers out in bumfuck to offer them a formal invitation. I don't see why every community in the country needs to be a facsimile of every other one.

Guest_993c8e5f

Post by Guest_993c8e5f »

I teach at an engineering school (well, full-time research now, but I used to teach until last semester). We put a lot of emphasis on explaining everything from the ground-up with no "magic equations" or algorithms (I have written the textbook used).

The exam places more emphasis on them understanding the fundamentals of the method they use rather than being able to plug in numbers, i.e. they can bring along a computer but it is only useful for multiplying a few numbers together and most problems should be made entirely by hand.

My class is on machine learning so I don't know how well this applies to more traditional engineering disciplines, but from the courses in teaching and other classes I have attended I have good reasons to think most courses are being taught like mine -- you can't use something well you don't understand.

I would say a course based on "plugging stuff into equations" was 100% worthless and someone who taught like that would get into troubles with the student and the department..

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Guest_993c8e5f wrote:I teach at an engineering school (well, full-time research now, but I used to teach until last semester). We put a lot of emphasis on explaining everything from the ground-up with no "magic equations" or algorithms (I have written the textbook used).

The exam places more emphasis on them understanding the fundamentals of the method they use rather than being able to plug in numbers, i.e. they can bring along a computer but it is only useful for multiplying a few numbers together and most problems should be made entirely by hand.

My class is on machine learning so I don't know how well this applies to more traditional engineering disciplines, but from the courses in teaching and other classes I have attended I have good reasons to think most courses are being taught like mine -- you can't use something well you don't understand.

I would say a course based on "plugging stuff into equations" was 100% worthless and someone who taught like that would get into troubles with the student and the department..
:hand: As an active researcher, you're in the wrong place. We're all idiots here, please proceed immediately to Pharyngula. :naughty: :snooty:

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Brive1987 wrote:
Oglebart wrote:Brive, I was going to ask you for a (p)update on the doggy situation, how's it going? What name have you decided on for him/her?
We picked up the fuzz ball yesterday. It identifies as "he" which is CIS.

I'll PM name - but 8 week old puppy spent a good part of last night weeping. During the wakeful hours he is showered with love from all directions. Not least my wife who has immediately regressed to baby-mother mode.

He lives in an exercise octagonal with a bed all on rubber flooring in the main living area. He has toileted 3-4 times outside "good boy" - which is about equal to his other favourite location; the sisel rug.

I now know that "chicken necks" are an actual purchasable product.
As are Bull's Pizzle Sticks. What do you imagine they might be?

:cdc:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

rayshul wrote:I feel like I'm learning stuff about the Israel thing. Mainly that I'm never going to understand it.
The problems is that there is so much propaganda on both sides that it will likely be impossible ever to really know what happens/happened.

Read "Homage to Catalonia" for George Orwell's take on how this works. It's what led him to write, in "1984":
George Orwell wrote:Who controls the present controls the past; who controls the past controls the future.

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

greylurker wrote:
Malky wrote:I have to take issue with this - particularly the highlighted but above. My degree is is Mech Eng (From Imperial College) and it is certainly not my recollection of how I was taught. From memory we were taught how the equations weuised were derived and we were expected to understand them not just use them as a template to plug numbers in. We knew that most of what were deriving could not actually be solved but the next stage was how to approximate to enable a calculation to be done and solved for a practical situations. Also at college they were at the cutting edge of what were new techniques at the time including stuff such a finite element analysis and computer modelling items such a stress fractures.
My engineering(electronic) degree fom Uni Western Australia in the late 70's early 80's matches Malky's. First year was general engines with physics, chem and maths units tacked on, second year split into Civil/Mech, Electrical/Electronic, third and forth years split again into Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Electronic. Any formulae used were derived from first principles and you had to understand the derivations.
The only CAD package we had was SPICE circuit simulator using punched cards (and you still had to understand the underlying equations used).

However a few years back I was doing some tutoring for a family member doing a Diploma in Civil Engineering, and noticed most of the fomulae weren't derived, and you just stuck in the numbers. That course did not require a knowledge of calculus, which would have been necessary for most of the derivations. Maybe this is where the 'obey the formular' mindset comes from?

Any recent engineering graduates here - has the expansion of technical knowledge required to be taught now in the same amount of time pushed out the basic derivations?

#notallengineers
Another EE here, from Canada, graduated mid-2000s. We split up the same way as greylurker. No calculators allowed until 3rd year. One prof in 2nd-4th years (depending on whether you took his courses for specialization) was notorious for making us derive all formulas from first principles on exams and tests. We had to learn the frigging quantum mechanics behind exactly why diodes work the way they do, not just what they do in a circuit.

To understand most topics, we took math/physics/chem in years 1-2, specialty maths in 3, and deep-background derivation from first principles in years 2-3 before we did any non-trivial applications in year 4. My first employer's complaint was that we knew too much theory and not enough plug-and-chug formulas and standardized design/draw/build experience.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

greylurker wrote: My engineering(electronic) degree fom Uni Western Australia in the late 70's early 80's matches Malky's. First year was general engines with physics, chem and maths units tacked on, second year split into Civil/Mech, Electrical/Electronic, third and forth years split again into Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Electronic. Any formulae used were derived from first principles and you had to understand the derivations.

#notallengineers
My experience with engineers was usually hiring them to fix things. This usually involves them solving a problem by process of elimination. I wonder if it has something to do with deductive rather than inductive reasoning?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

It begins. Rafsanjani dead.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

And Peter Sarstedt has gone, too, my lovely.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Lsuoma wrote:And Peter Sarstedt has gone, too, my lovely.
to where?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:Or Baltimore. Or Detroit. Why aren't you fighting racism by offering jobs to black people in poor cities where they are the majority, Mrs. Byerley? Are you a racist? It's not just fiber or tax break, after all. Don't your best and brightest wish to help poor black people by relocating themselves to Detroit? Or is that gentrification?
You don't want to build a call centre where the gunshots will drown out what is being said.

dogen

Post by dogen »

greylurker wrote:
Malky wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
My two cents on the matter is that engineers are clever people (they have to be) but that they're taught to listen, believe and obey. They're rarely if ever taught why the equations they use work. They're rarely taught to be skeptical even of what on a superficial analysis seem to work. They're simply taught that their equations work and that's it. Engineers tend to trust what seems to work without asking themselves why, so they tend to be ideologically conservative and as a consequence they're attracted to ideologically conservative conspiracy theories (creationism, climate change denialism, religious wackyness), with little to no skepticism.

On the other hand an idle hypothesis that I have is that people working in the humanities have to exact same problem of lack of skepticism and dogmatism since they're rarely thought but since they're more interested in caring about other humans instead of simply trusting what works they're more attracted to ideologically progressive conspiracy theories (Social Justice, regressive leftism, environmentalist bullshit, granola girl woo).
I have to take issue with this - particularly the highlighted but above. My degree is is Mech Eng (From Imperial College) and it is certainly not my recollection of how I was taught. From memory we were taught how the equations weuised were derived and we were expected to understand them not just use them as a template to plug numbers in. We knew that most of what were deriving could not actually be solved but the next stage was how to approximate to enable a calculation to be done and solved for a practical situations. Also at college they were at the cutting edge of what were new techniques at the time including stuff such a finite element analysis and computer modelling items such a stress fractures.

#notallengineers
When talking about Engineering, one of my Physics profs always used to joke about Ohm's three laws:

V = I * R
I = V / R
R = V / I

;)

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

In my view, engineering is a type of academic profession that is perceived as closest to traditional craftsperson or "real" work. Other branches of higher education are either seen as useless whargarble, something bureauish for women, unprofitable art, elusive ivory tower musings or special that only few know about them. As such, engineer is a default profession for the average person that doesn't want to upset their parents, doesn't want appear too eccentric yet still join a university and bring home good money. As such, engineers are usually rather well-adjusted, unagitated people who tend to be socialized conservative, traditional, or libertarian. The profession and its reputation will select what kind of people take it up, which is rather down-to-earth and somewhat boring. As such, engineers are probably interested in more practical topics, perhaps history, and not in philosophy, theoretical science, or scepticism and such. Since they are above average smarts, they will still be rather good at rationalizing as someone has pointed out above. Engineer comes closest to the "common man", and as such makes sense that they show up in certain contexts.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

This is from earlier but I thought I'd post it anyway as it's a perfect example of how the BBC reframed Islamist attacks:

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Did he die alone in his bed?

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Oh yeah, happy belated new year, you fuckers.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

dogen wrote:
greylurker wrote: <snip>

#notallengineers
When talking about Engineering, one of my Physics profs always used to joke about Ohm's three laws:

V = I * R
I = V / R
R = V / I

;)
:-) And one of mine - though I never entered the exalted ranks of "Engineers" and had to make do with the supporting role of "Engineering Technologist" (Electronics, Control Systems), but I was greatly flattered that an Engineer I had worked with said that I had the soul of one, and I did wind up with many actual engineering challenges to round out my working life - said that "every couple has its moment". :-)

But from recollection, it seems that Engineering Technology, of necessity, tended to focus more on "plugging in the numbers" than understanding the roots of the relevant equations. Although such understandings weren't entirely absent.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Aneris wrote:In my view, engineering is a type of academic profession that is perceived as closest to traditional craftsperson or "real" work. Other branches of higher education are either seen as useless whargarble, something bureauish for women, unprofitable art, elusive ivory tower musings or special that only few know about them. As such, engineer is a default profession for the average person that doesn't want to upset their parents, doesn't want appear too eccentric yet still join a university and bring home good money. As such, engineers are usually rather well-adjusted, unagitated people who tend to be socialized conservative, traditional, or libertarian. The profession and its reputation will select what kind of people take it up, which is rather down-to-earth and somewhat boring. As such, engineers are probably interested in more practical topics, perhaps history, and not in philosophy, theoretical science, or scepticism and such. Since they are above average smarts, they will still be rather good at rationalizing as someone has pointed out above. Engineer comes closest to the "common man", and as such makes sense that they show up in certain contexts.
Interesting take, with some validity too I'd say. Conversely I am a plumber/heating engineer, from a solid working class backround. I've always preferred to use the "engineer" tag to describe myself. What that says about the UK class system and my fucked up sense of worth I leave you to decide!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

For some litter fare, some pictures of some naked "birds" (apologies to Barn Owl ;-) ):

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Cnutella wrote:
Did he die alone in his bed?
You :nin: 'd me. Meanwhile, the subject of that song, Sophia Loren, lives on. 82, I just checked.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Steersman wrote:For some litter lighter fare, some pictures of some naked "birds" (apologies to Barn Owl ;-) ):
[.tweet][/tweet]
My kingdom for an edit button ...

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Aneris wrote:In my view, engineering is a type of academic profession that is perceived as closest to traditional craftsperson or "real" work. Other branches of higher education are either seen as useless whargarble, something bureauish for women, unprofitable art, elusive ivory tower musings or special that only few know about them. As such, engineer is a default profession for the average person that doesn't want to upset their parents, doesn't want appear too eccentric yet still join a university and bring home good money. As such, engineers are usually rather well-adjusted, unagitated people who tend to be socialized conservative, traditional, or libertarian. The profession and its reputation will select what kind of people take it up, which is rather down-to-earth and somewhat boring. As such, engineers are probably interested in more practical topics, perhaps history, and not in philosophy, theoretical science, or scepticism and such. Since they are above average smarts, they will still be rather good at rationalizing as someone has pointed out above. Engineer comes closest to the "common man", and as such makes sense that they show up in certain contexts.
This view applied in reverse explains something the professor said in the philosophy elective I took. On day one, he explained his marking scheme (only one A+ for the class, the rest curved off that), then he took a show-of-hands survey of the majors in the classroom, and went on this mini-rant about how none of the engineers would ever even get an A. I think I shocked the shit out of him when I set the curve. (It was a fun class.)

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Know, redo that post without the use of any engineers and their engineering, whatsoever. Use all the philosophers and social scientists you want.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Wild Zontargs wrote:
This view applied in reverse explains something the professor said in the philosophy elective I took. On day one, he explained his marking scheme (only one A+ for the class, the rest curved off that), then he took a show-of-hands survey of the majors in the classroom, and went on this mini-rant about how none of the engineers would ever even get an A. I think I shocked the shit out of him when I set the curve. (It was a fun class.)
I know I did shock a female manager right out of her high heels when I complimented her on her taste at the coffee wagon:

http://images.replacements.com/images/i ... 0002T2.jpg

It is Etude by Royal Doulton. Anyway she stared at me for a second, turned the saucer over to check and said something, mainly to herself about it being wrong to stereotype.

Oh and no. She was having tea. For coffee only a red Spode set is appropriate. :naughty:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Shatterface wrote:This is from earlier but I thought I'd post it anyway as it's a perfect example of how the BBC reframed Islamist attacks:
I admit to not being well informed on the lizard conspiracy, but I don't get it?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:If you have Vicky on ignore you will miss out on the dangers of English Bigf**t. I was skeptical, but I could not ignore the overwhelming evidence of sticks and noises.
I believe you are misrepresenting Vicky's position on Bigfoot. If I am wrong, please point me to a post where she suggests the existence of bigfoot is likely or certain.

As much as the bigfoot fascination has bored me since leaving grade school, I do think the basic exploration of the subject does have some merit in training for skeptical thought. I think that Vicky is correct that we should not absolutely rule out and close our ears to such possibilities of fringe theories (or even the "pizzagate" investigations) without looking at any of the purported evidence as you never know when one might pan out.

But from a practical standpoint, most of after looking at what "evidence" is available have relegated the possibilities to near absolute zero. But take pizzagate as an example? Based off of cursory news reports, it will come off as bunk to most people. Yet the pizzagate hordes keep on clamoring that it is so much more. Without investigation, it would be hard to state for certain that they haven't found anything.

A simple investigate on my part:
* When I asked for their best most compelling evidence was I was told "google it." I then thanked the individual for providing me with their best evidence. I was then blocked by that individual.
* I did one better (in case that individual was particularly poor and was only as sample of one), I looked at one of their main congregation points and found their summary infographic to explain what it is all about and their top level issues. It isn't hard to see it is all bunk by at least the top third of the infographic. But I did slog through the whole thing to make sure I fully examined all they had to offer on their subject of choice.

You can see that here if curious:
https://i.sli.mg/lwgIgH.jpg

It reads like some 4chan trolls mixed with hard core conspiracy theorists of the Illuminati, free mason, 911 truther, moon landing hoax variety. It looks to be closer to the satanic ritual child abuse moral panic of the 70s & 80s than anything of substance.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I admit to not being well informed on the lizard conspiracy, but I don't get it?
That the headline references the shooting of the driver before his 'alleged' victims.

At least they admitted there was a driver this time. Usually they present the story as if the truck went mental of its own accord, like in Killdozer

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

[youtube][/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

rayshul wrote:What's going on with the intel report about Russia's influence here? I'm seeing Wikileaks saying unreservedly that the leaks came from inside, and the leaks were also done through a phishing/whaling attack. What exactly did Russia do here?
Allegedly, one of the malware software tools used at one point to attack the DNC computers was of Russian origin. The counter claim to this is that the malware is already well known and used by other perpetrators of hacking.

I would also have a hard time not believing that some hacking attempts have come from Russian IP addresses. But if that is the litmus test, that the US and China governments must be responsible for all sorts of hacking across the globe.

Also when it comes to the Hillary emails, some news reports state that those emails were well known and pretty much every state intelligence community had a copy, so that would include Russia. Hillary running her own email server and accessing those emails over poorly secured lines left them open for pretty much any interested party to monitor. Did you know that when you send an email, it is sent across the internet in clear text? All you need is a sniffer attached to one of the routers to suck up all of that information.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Burrow hard, burrow deep ......

Becky executes a 101 revenge fuck.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Re PZ's crippling workload post.

WTF is "office"?

I assume it's when he writes blog posts while waiting for deliciously unexpected mermaids to drop by? Or is it what less encumbered workers call "working lunch"?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

deLurch wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:If you have Vicky on ignore you will miss out on the dangers of English Bigf**t. I was skeptical, but I could not ignore the overwhelming evidence of sticks and noises.
I believe you are misrepresenting Vicky's position on Boringfoot. If I am wrong, please point me to a post where she suggests the existence of Boringfoot is likely or certain.

As much as the Boringfoot fascination has bored me since leaving grade school, I do think the basic exploration of the subject does have some merit in training for skeptical thought. I think that Vicky is correct that we should not absolutely rule out and close our ears to such possibilities of fringe theories (or even the "pizzagate" investigations) without looking at any of the purported evidence as you never know when one might pan out.
You are absolutely right, they have misrepresented my position on just about every subject. But that is not quite my position on Bigfoot.
My problem is that skeptics say, "there is no evidence" when this is untrue. There is evidence. The next question is, what is it evidence of?
If you just want to be an armchair skeptic, you can just say it's a hoax, it is fake, it is just a bear print... but any asshole can say that, and it's usually assholes that do. I would prefer to check the claim that a bear print can look like a giant human print, but despite the claim I have seen no evidence of it yet.
On the other hand, I have just been looking at stick structures which are claimed to be made by bigfoot. It would be easy to just dismiss them and say a human could have built them. But logically, if bigfoot did exist, there is no real reason that a bigfoot couldn't also have built them. However, pointing out that the ends of the logs appear to be cut with a chainsaw tends to tip the balance of probability firmly in the direction of human construction.
It is not a question of if the notion of bigfoot having any merit (although there are more scientists interested in this than you might imagine), it is a question of investigating it properly, following the evidence wherever it might lead, and coming up with solutions. James Randi never said, "It's probably just a trick" and left it at that, he proved it was a trick, learned how to do the trick, and showed everybody how it was done.

If you saw me debating a creationist or a climate change denier, and I was making mistakes and demonstrating that I myself had no understanding of the science, I am sure you wouldn't hesitate to put me straight. It isn't enough to be on the right side, you have to be right.
And yet the people out there who are doing bigfoot skepticsm make the dumbest mistakes such as saying that North America couldn't support a large primate -- aside from any other argument, I think the native indians are evidence against that claim.

Incidentally, every time free thoughtpolice posts another idiotic bigfoot video, he is just demonstrating that he fails just as badly in reading comprehension as he does in reading animal spore.

Likewise, I follow the science on matters of Islam, terrorism and Palestine. I have weighed up the evidence, weighed up the issue, and come to the conclusion that we need to go on the attack against Islam in Europe as it is a threat to our way of life. That doesn't mean that I have to the further rationalize my position by knocking over all objection, ignore the merits of counter arguments and discredit the evidence that works in their favour. The research says that religion does not cause terrorism, not even Islam. It is more complicated than that. I am not going to allow anyone to rewrite history either, or spread propaganda and lies, even if it would support my position.

Garbage in, garbage out. I still might come to the wrong conclusions, but I would at least like to base my opinions on facts rather than some nonsense I read on camera.org

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

deLurch wrote:
rayshul wrote:What's going on with the intel report about Russia's influence here? I'm seeing Wikileaks saying unreservedly that the leaks came from inside, and the leaks were also done through a phishing/whaling attack. What exactly did Russia do here?
Allegedly, one of the malware software tools used at one point to attack the DNC computers was of Russian origin. The counter claim to this is that the malware is already well known and used by other perpetrators of hacking.

I would also have a hard time not believing that some hacking attempts have come from Russian IP addresses. But if that is the litmus test, that the US and China governments must be responsible for all sorts of hacking across the globe.

Also when it comes to the Hillary emails, some news reports state that those emails were well known and pretty much every state intelligence community had a copy, so that would include Russia. Hillary running her own email server and accessing those emails over poorly secured lines left them open for pretty much any interested party to monitor. Did you know that when you send an email, it is sent across the internet in clear text? All you need is a sniffer attached to one of the routers to suck up all of that information.
The reality is that they'll never been able to prove to my satisfaction who did it. My money is still on the inside job thing, to be honest, but who knows. Maybe it was the Russians.

But here's the thing that bugs me about this. Does anybody think the CIA is not doing this to other countries? What about the tapping of Merkel's phone lines the other year? Like really now.

And people getting pissed off over Russian media. What about the Voice of America? Or the CBC or the BBC, both of which CERTAINLY put their finger on the scale in terms of the election in the exact same way but in a different direction.

I'll say it again, not a Trump fan at all. But as I get older, quite frankly, the more and more I feel like as an ideological ethical bedrock for myself is the same rules for me as there is for thee. To use the GamerGate concept, I am against "No bad tactics, only bad targets". That is everything I'm against. Equitable and fair rules and structures is everything I'm for.

Guest_487fe3b5

Post by Guest_487fe3b5 »

I'm an engineer as well, graduated in 1984. I always thought that engineering was a "safe" major for math-savvy religious people. Other sciences will lead you to things like evolution or the age of the earth that you will disagree with. Nothing in an engineering curriculum will contradict a conservative religious outlook. In other words, engineering is where the religious conservatives end up -- it does not create them.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

VickyCaramel wrote:
deLurch wrote:
I believe you are misrepresenting Vicky's position on Boringfoot. If I am wrong, please point me to a post where she suggests the existence of Boringfoot is likely or certain.

As much as the Boringfoot fascination has bored me since leaving grade school, I do think the basic exploration of the subject does have some merit in training for skeptical thought. I think that Vicky is correct that we should not absolutely rule out and close our ears to such possibilities of fringe theories (or even the "pizzagate" investigations) without looking at any of the purported evidence as you never know when one might pan out.
You are absolutely right, they have misrepresented my position on just about every subject. But that is not quite my position on Boringfoot.
My problem is that skeptics say, "there is no evidence" when this is untrue. There is evidence. The next question is, what is it evidence of?
If you just want to be an armchair skeptic, you can just say it's a hoax, it is fake, it is just a bear print... but any asshole can say that, and it's usually assholes that do. I would prefer to check the claim that a bear print can look like a giant human print, but despite the claim I have seen no evidence of it yet.
On the other hand, I have just been looking at stick structures which are claimed to be made by Boringfoot. It would be easy to just dismiss them and say a human could have built them. But logically, if Boringfoot did exist, there is no real reason that a Boringfoot couldn't also have built them. However, pointing out that the ends of the logs appear to be cut with a chainsaw tends to tip the balance of probability firmly in the direction of human construction.
It is not a question of if the notion of Boringfoot having any merit (although there are more scientists interested in this than you might imagine), it is a question of investigating it properly, following the evidence wherever it might lead, and coming up with solutions. James Randi never said, "It's probably just a trick" and left it at that, he proved it was a trick, learned how to do the trick, and showed everybody how it was done.

If you saw me debating a creationist or a climate change denier, and I was making mistakes and demonstrating that I myself had no understanding of the science, I am sure you wouldn't hesitate to put me straight. It isn't enough to be on the right side, you have to be right.
And yet the people out there who are doing Boringfoot skepticsm make the dumbest mistakes such as saying that North America couldn't support a large primate -- aside from any other argument, I think the native indians are evidence against that claim.

Incidentally, every time free thoughtpolice posts another idiotic Boringfoot video, he is just demonstrating that he fails just as badly in reading comprehension as he does in reading animal spore.

Likewise, I follow the science on matters of Islam, terrorism and Palestine. I have weighed up the evidence, weighed up the issue, and come to the conclusion that we need to go on the attack against Islam in Europe as it is a threat to our way of life. That doesn't mean that I have to the further rationalize my position by knocking over all objection, ignore the merits of counter arguments and discredit the evidence that works in their favour. The research says that religion does not cause terrorism, not even Islam. It is more complicated than that. I am not going to allow anyone to rewrite history either, or spread propaganda and lies, even if it would support my position.

Garbage in, garbage out. I still might come to the wrong conclusions, but I would at least like to base my opinions on facts rather than some nonsense I read on camera.org
Uh huh. I said-
I firmly believe Boringfoot fans should get the same respect as fans of alien abduction, poltergeists and hollow-earth enthusiasts.
Because there's no cause to even attribute the "evidence" to crypto-critters when thousands of reasonable explanations exist. But then Vicky declared that Bigf**t skepticism was exactly as bad as bigf**t research in this enlightening spiel-
http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php ... 20#p402860
And then spent several posts defending Bigf**t research. So while she hasn't declared she is a believer, she does cite a bunch of nutters doing nutty things, often for money, as they sell cds of Bigf**t noises-
morehead.com/?dm_redirected=true#2860
So she is either trying to be the Daimion of Bigf**t or is attempting the "retarded troll" gambit. I'm amused either way, so it's all good. Maybe she'll share all these scientists that are taking Bigf**t seriously on my special-built thread
http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=511
And she can declare her evidence to her heart's content without boring the rest of you fine folks.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Don't think I saw these. SyeTen is pretty cool. I love that Creepy Lindsay from Queer Kid Stuff has made the cast of the show.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Have we talked about Creepy Lindsay from Queer Kid Stuff? I think she goes way too far in teaching four-year-olds. At that age, if your kid asks why their friend has two daddys, you just say, "Some men love men. Some girls like girls. It's cool. Everyone's a little different." And the kid says, "Okay. Can we get froyo?"

[youtube][/youtube]

And don't get me started on totally fucking creepy Onision.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

And people getting pissed off over Russian media. What about the Voice of America? Or the CBC or the BBC, both of which CERTAINLY put their finger on the scale in terms of the election in the exact same way but in a different direction.
RT + BBC, CBC, ABC, and so on.. You have to be skeptical whatever the source.
On one hand, Putin has been murdering journalists, has taken over the media and has established himself as Czar.
l

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:Re PZ's crippling workload post.

WTF is "office"?

I assume it's when he writes blog posts while waiting for deliciously unexpected mermaids to drop by? Or is it what less encumbered workers call "working lunch"?
I believe "office" designates his office hours, a time designated during which he is in his office and is available to students to ask questions about coursework or to get sexually harassed by him before he zooms to the dean after having the victim detained by a female grad student.

Office hours are a standard convention in American universities and are considered part of the standard workload, but that is probably the time during which PZ waddles to the dining hall to get lunch and monitors his blog comments to make sure there are no opposing ideas.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: And she can declare her evidence to her heart's content without boring the rest of you fine folks.
Declare my evidence? You also have a problem with reading comprehension?

It's fine, I understand, some people want to do skepticism, some people just want to show off the bumper sticker.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

WTF is "office"?

You missed out his reason for free Fridays:

http://i.imgur.com/4BcbRvY.png

Freeloading cunt. I'm sure Mary has no problem with him chasing Skepchick tail around the country during rutting season.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

VickyCaramel wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: And she can declare her evidence to her heart's content without boring the rest of you fine folks.

It's fine, I understand, some people want to do skepticism, some people just want to show off the bumper sticker.
At what point do you declare the topic closed, with additional effort an unworthy use of brain cycles?

Must every piece of yet-to-be discovered scat be forensically tested?

:hankey:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

WTF is "office"?

[t.weet][/tweet]
You missed out his reason for free Fridays:

http://i.imgur.com/4BcbRvY.png

Freeloading cunt. I'm sure Mary has no problem with him chasing Skepchick tail around the country during rutting season.
Saw that and assumed it was just a nervous tick. He is sounding more like Carrier every day.

Note - it wasn't to accomodate his fan's current demands, rather it was a pathetic limp tug of a wet dream.

free thoughtpolice

And don't get me started on totally fucking creepy Onision.
Assholes like Onision and Merkin Muslim Adam Saleh pander to the teen girl crowd and are making dollars doing it. :puke-front:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

A call center in the west cost would be heavily attractive for home consumers as the 3 hour later time difference than the east coast would cover home users.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Shatterface wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I admit to not being well informed on the lizard conspiracy, but I don't get it?
That the headline references the shooting of the driver before his 'alleged' victims.

At least they admitted there was a driver this time. Usually they present the story as if the truck went mental of its own accord, like in Killdozer
Did the driver have a valid drivers licence, insurance and registration?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Service Dog wrote:
rayshul wrote:http://heatst.com/culture-wars/cbs-news ... k-beating/

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/sh ... lish-book/

https://bullshit.ist/who-are-white-peop ... .yizbkueoh

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/01/safe ... -politics/

Highlights from Kotaku in Action today. Pretty good round up of chitterchatter.

I'm so depressed by the left sometimes. I'd love to vote left again.
great links.... but there's something deeply suspicious about that last one. It describes white guilt morons who wear safety pins, 'i pay reperations' t-shirts and compete to see whose "performative wokeness" is "more woker"... yet the entire article lacks mention of the word "cuck" to describe those huge cucks. Instead it claims the alt-right's trademark equivalent to the safety-pin is.... the swastika?!! Surely the author or editorial dictate is dancing-around telling the reader the straightforward truth.
I allowed that because I liked the comparison. :D

free thoughtpolice

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
Shatterface wrote:

Did the driver have a valid drivers licence, insurance and registration?
Or presence as a truly material object, creature of god, or otherwise a visible, tangible creature that conforms to thoughts untinged by the nightmares of the old ones.
[youtube][/youtube]
:bjarte: :twatson:

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I have been to San Francisco - it's the only place in the US I've been to - and I felt like I'd gone back in time about twenty years (it was the early 2000s when we visited). The technology, streets, everything seemed like stuff from a much older place, as well as the infrastructure. I got more culture shock there than I have in any other country I've been in. (Note the only continents I've been to are Europe, Oceania, Africa and Asia except for San Francisco so I don't know, maybe the rest of the US is equally weird.)

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

VickyCaramel wrote:

It's perhaps a good training ground for scepticism, but it teaches the wrong idea. You look for some unidentified humanoid and then every blurry picture, every hair caught on a bark could be evidence until debunked. However, has it the wrong way around. You should be having some solid idea what you are looking for, not an open case that can be modified at will, and never be falsified and closed. At no point, ever, can you call it off. And that's the verificationist's problem, or the problem of induction. The next piece of evidence could always change everything, which keeps the believer going.

It is not a good idea to propose an idea that posits, for any reason, the sun will not rise some day. Every day will just postpone the important date once more, should the sun emerge once more. At no point can you relax and call it off, after all, tomorrow might be the day the earth stops turning.

This is why such ideas should not pass a sniffing test. Anything can happen in the very next second if you accept such premises. Maybe the moon turns into cheese. Maybe an apple can simultaneously be a banana and exist in three places at once. Who knows? The supposed difference to boringfoot are small, and it has nothing to with believability of some scenario. That's illusion.

The problem here is that a solid idea is missing why the earth would stop turning some day, and ways how to put this particular fear to rest. A solid idea is missing about what kind of humanoid you are looking for. Is it one individual? Is it an entire species? Is it a monkey? A hominid? Such features have consequences. Even when you knew nothing of Nessie, thinking its some kind of dinosaur individual ruins the whole idea. A single specimen cannot survive millions of years, an entire species cannot hide in a lake. I haven't looked up how old the bigfoot idea is, but my impression (suffice for this) is that whatever pictures or older reports say, it would be dead by now. If you cannot stick to and commit to some some sort of realistic idea, then anything goes — in principle. If you suggest in light of this that this creature procreates, or gets very old, just more problems keep popping up, and changing the story to patch over them and you quickly have the hallmarks of a classic woo, conspiracy theory and pseudoscience.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Brive1987 wrote:
At what point do you declare the topic closed, with additional effort an unworthy use of brain cycles?
When the mystery is no longer a mystery. When you have plausible explanations for all the phenomenon, with evidence and demonstrations of your answers.

"We know science doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara Ó Briain

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Aneris wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:

It's perhaps a good training ground for scepticism, but it teaches the wrong idea. You look for some unidentified humanoid and then every blurry picture, every hair caught on a bark could be evidence until debunked. However, has it the wrong way around. You should be having some solid idea what you are looking for, not an open case that can be modified at will, and never be falsified and closed. At no point, ever, can you call it off. And that's the verificationist's problem, or the problem of induction. The next piece of evidence could always change everything, which keeps the believer going.

It is not a good idea to propose an idea that posits, for any reason, the sun will not rise some day. Every day will just postpone the important date once more, should the sun emerge once more. At no point can you relax and call it off, after all, tomorrow might be the day the earth stops turning.

This is why such ideas should not pass a sniffing test. Anything can happen in the very next second if you accept such premises. Maybe the moon turns into cheese. Maybe an apple can simultaneously be a banana and exist in three places at once. Who knows? The supposed difference to Boringfoot are small, and it has nothing to with believability of some scenario. That's illusion.

The problem here is that a solid idea is missing why the earth would stop turning some day, and ways how to put this particular fear to rest. A solid idea is missing about what kind of humanoid you are looking for. Is it one individual? Is it an entire species? Is it a monkey? A hominid? Such features have consequences. Even when you knew nothing of Nessie, thinking its some kind of dinosaur individual ruins the whole idea. A single specimen cannot survive millions of years, an entire species cannot hide in a lake. I haven't looked up how old the Boringfoot idea is, but my impression (suffice for this) is that whatever pictures or older reports say, it would be dead by now. If you cannot stick to and commit to some some sort of realistic idea, then anything goes — in principle. If you suggest in light of this that this creature procreates, or gets very old, just more problems keep popping up, and changing the story to patch over them and you quickly have the hallmarks of a classic woo, conspiracy theory and pseudoscience.
How old it is, depends on what evidence you include. There is very strong evidence that It goes back about 200 years, weaker evidence that it goes back over 1000. This might indicate that an explanation might be found within folklore and the human psyche. That would mean that it isn't just classic woo, it is THE classic woo and worthy of study as a classic.

I don't believe in god, but that doesn't mean I don't think it is worth having the argument. And religion is certainly worthy of study.