The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Kirbmarc

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Kirbmarc »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: China isn't doing much (if anything) to stop climate change, and it's going to be hurt by climate change just as badly if not worse than the US.
I don't know where you're getting your news, but China is doing way more than the rest of the world to stop climate change. In 2015 alone, China invested $102.9 billion on renewables. That's twice more than the US by raw numbers, and more than the US and Japan (second and third places) spent, combined. I'm not a fan of the authoritarianism in China, but it does allow them to take decisive action with much less popular appeasement.
My bad. I confused the problem with heavy level of pollution of Chinese cities and the bad reactions of the Chinese government to this issue with a general lack of effort on environmental issues in China. I should have checked, and for that I apologize.

I don't think it's a matter of popular appeasement rather than having less economical ties between local lobbies of power and oil producers. The general public isn't the main source of resistance of investments on renewables, oil lobbies are. The general public believes what people they trust tell them to believe, and if conservative thought leaders tell people that climate change is a hoax many who follow them will believe them.

Climate change shouldn't be religiously or ideologically charged, not as much as gay marriage or abortion anyway, which leads me to believe that the reason why conservative thought leaders call it a hoax is because of generous donations of pro-oil lobbies to those leaders. In the case of Trump those oil-lobbies might be more interested in making deals with Russia and in fracking/high latitude drilling than with the middle east.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Anyway my point still stands. Climate change isn't just a problem of liberal democracies, or one mainly caused by liberal democracies. It's a global problem caused by technological progress.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:The public has a limited attention span. Climate change is guaranteed to displace and kill millions of people in the coming decades, and terrorism kills at most dozens per year across the entire west, and the latter is everyone's number one fear.
The problem with islam isn't just terrorism, or even mainly terrorism. It's a problem of integration and secularization, terrorism is just a symptom of a far larger issue.

Terrorists are actually less of a concern than insular communities of non-integrated immigrants who live in some proto-theocratic bubbles (soon to be theocratic bubbles if muslim supremacist thought leaders get more influential).

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Ape+lust wrote:
Tapir wrote:Talcum X

:rimshot:

(not my joke)
:lol: :clap:
I don't get it. :think:

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

ROBOKiTTY wrote: So let the terrorists win by giving in to unreasonable terror?
Nope. The s.o.p. for terrorism is to contain it while working on the hearts and minds of the people from whom the terrorists draw their support. Counter terrorism needs a war of ideas with us convincing the enemy's people that our way is better and that they can't win.

Unfortunately we have very little influence over the minds of the people in the islamic world. And the Islamic world has more influence over Islamic communities in the west than we do. We can neither talk them out of Islam, and as long as they believe in islam we cannot convince them they won't win.

The flip side of the war is working on the hearts and minds of our own people, convincing them we will win and win soon and that our fight is just.

So the answer to Islamic terrorism seems to be to turn the western world against Islam, to make them defiant and Islamophobic. Give them pride in our culture and contempt for theirs. To make this a war of civilizations.... or civilization vs barbarism.

In effect, those that are downplaying the threat of Islam are a 5th column, giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 513873.jpg

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Lsuoma wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:

(not my joke)
Well shouldn't you be complaining to Mrs Lsuoma instead of us?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Lsuoma wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:

(not my joke)
We had Malcolm X.

Shawn King is Talcum X?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

VickyCaramel wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote: So let the terrorists win by giving in to unreasonable terror?
Nope. The s.o.p. for terrorism is to contain it while working on the hearts and minds of the people from whom the terrorists draw their support. Counter terrorism needs a war of ideas with us convincing the enemy's people that our way is better and that they can't win.

Unfortunately we have very little influence over the minds of the people in the islamic world. And the Islamic world has more influence over Islamic communities in the west than we do. We can neither talk them out of Islam, and as long as they believe in islam we cannot convince them they won't win.

The flip side of the war is working on the hearts and minds of our own people, convincing them we will win and win soon and that our fight is just.

So the answer to Islamic terrorism seems to be to turn the western world against Islam, to make them defiant and Islamophobic. Give them pride in our culture and contempt for theirs. To make this a war of civilizations.... or civilization vs barbarism.

In effect, those that are downplaying the threat of Islam are a 5th column, giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 513873.jpg
Palestinians included?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Kirbmarc wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:The celebrity thing - it shouldn't be a question of overall quantity.

Rather more celebrities of a high perceived quality have passed away this year.

Glad to have cleared this up.

Donald Ainslie Henderson (September 7, 1928 – August 19, 2016) was an American physician, educator, and epidemiologist who directed a 10-year international effort (1967–1977) that eradicated smallpox throughout the world and launched international childhood vaccination programs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Henderson

I'm slightly embarrassed to have never heard of this guy , but also note his passing this year wasnt as prominent as some who contributed less to humanity. Smallpox killed 2 million a year .
Meh. He was an old white male, so who cares, 'mright?
Creator of the red solo cup dies aged 84. They are dropping like flies!
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /95969690/

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:Why did I say black people will 'top the list'? Because according to stats published by the FBI, of all the racial hate crimes they track, 66.5% were motivated by anti-black sentiments, 21.2% anti-white, 4.6% anti-Asian, and 4.5% anti-native. Many people on this site like to think that hate crimes are mostly fake, but unless I have a reason not to, I'll trust stats from an agency that actually tracks the info.
Are those the stats for murder or for all hate crime? Because hate crimes includes hate speech or vandalism or intimidation, which are bad but don't kill you.

The stats for racially motivated murders show that in 2013 there were 5 total victims of murders or negligent manslaughter due to hate crimes (I haven't found out how many of them were due to anti- black hate). In the same year there were 4 victims of islamic terrorism in the US. The numbers aren't incredibly different

I'd say that saying that black people will likely "top the list" of people killed because of hate is a bit disingenuous. Are black people in the US still targeted by racists? Absolutely. Are black people cause black people to "top of the list" in the number of deaths due to hatred? I wouldn't be so sure.
I don't have a better alternative. I don't need to, because that wasn't my point. My point is an abstract one, and it has to do with the human tendency to see whatever we have as the best possible thing. For example, humans erroneously see themselves as the pinnacle of evolution. Liberal democracies have a tendency to circlejerk over how democracy running on capitalism with heavy government intervention is the best possible system. It becomes a cult of worship that stifles debate, as any thought of reform could be slapped down with the cry "That's undemocratic/unconstitutional! You want to go back to tyranny/taxation without representation?"
The core elements of liberal democracy are civil and political individual rights and freedom, equality before the law, a justice system based on protecting those rights and some kind of system of representation based on voting rights for everyone over a certain age. Everything else should be debated about and is possible to change or reform. The cult of the US constitution doesn't represent all liberal democracies or even the core elements of liberal democracy. In some aspects the US, being the first liberal democracy, had a pretty primitive constitution.
You're normally quite reasonable, but I fear Islam has become a blind spot for you. Really, the Middle East is only a matter of national security only because the west want to maintain their projection of power there for various reasons, many of them outdated Cold War-era goals. If the west just left the Middle East alone, it would cease to be a security concern.
It's not Cold War era goals, it's lobbies and nets of interests. Getting out of the Middle East dramas as far as possible is a good idea (and Trump, interestingly enough, seems more likely to reduce US involvement than Clinton would have been) but that's not the end of problems with Islam, as I've written in other posts.
As for Saudi Arabia, considering the caliphate has a stated goal of conquering Mecca and overthrowing the kingdom and has no problem accepting allegiance from any far-flung warlord, it would be suicidal for the kingdom to finance them. It's fairer to say that there are elements amongst the massive royal family that would like to topple the kingdom and institute an even stronger theocracy.
It's important not to confuse the Islamic State with the more vague idea of muslim supremacy. The Islamic State isn't the only organization which supports an idea of a muslim caliphate. All the Salafis do, and some of them fight against the Islamic State over who are the "real muslims". Saudi Arabia has supported Salafi and other muslim supremacist groups for years. The fact that the Islamic State specifically is hostile to the current Saudi regime doesn't mean that the Saudi regime doesn't support people who wish to establish a worldwide caliphate.
Note the term 'empower'. Most systems opt for an elite that gets fat off the uneducated and miserable masses. Democracy gives power to the people, who are just as likely to vote themselves back into a dictatorship without a robust tradition of democratic thought. And even with such a tradition, people like Hitler and Erdogan still happen. Yes, people in liberal democracies are generally better educated, but a cynical analysis says that's only because educated workers make productive taxpayers. The system is not good because of its intrinsic goodness, but because the interests of the people and the rulers tend to intersect more often than in dictatorships, and its faults must be criticized harshly lest we start to look upon it as a secular altar.
All true, it's not a matter of inner goodness, it's a matter of which system works best. Inner goodness is a poor meter of judgment for anything. No person is completely good (or evil for that matter), no group of people are good, nothing is always and forever good. However as of right now liberal democracy works much better than any other system, so it's better to improve it rather than to throw it away.
But non-successful systems easily survive alongside successful systems. Many third-world dictators milk their people dry at the cost of an even worse tomorrow. They call for foreign aid and debt forgiveness and then use that money to fatten the bank accounts of their cronies. It's not a pleasant life for the average people, but it's stable and not reliant on growth, and any challenger is more likely than not to make things even worse. Geopolitics really is not survival of the fittest, at least if we define fitness as economic success.
Those regimes are still reliant on either foreign debt or on a demand of their resources. Without the economic growth in other countries which sends them aid or buys their resources they'd collapse into Somalian-style anarchy. Environmentally speaking they're commensals of economic growth, or outright parasites.
Is it though? I've mentioned the US constitution and its worship. It's basically a 19th century system with no provision for universal education or healthcare. They barely managed to fit an education system inside it, and there are still people who claim that's unconstitutional, and the homeschooling community continues to churn out fundamentalists and conspiracy theorists.
The problems with healthcare or education in the US have less to do with constitutional rights and more to do with state rights and, once again, lobbies. Isolated communities can lobby at a state level for non-standard education. The US government actually spends more money on healthcare per capita than many other governments of liberal democratic countries (like the UK), but a lot of those money benefits people who are only marginally involved in education or healthcare and are part of a system of pharmaceutical, insurance or legal groups of interest.
Short terms and term limits mean that politicians only look a few years ahead at most, rarely challenging to stop the inertia pushing them along. And reelection campaigns cost money, which must come from somewhere, and the people paying expect to be repaid in some fashion. So much money is wasted in that process of covert corruption that it might as well be streamlined to make for better efficiency. Why not elective monarchy, for instance.
In many liberal democracies campaign costs are funded by the State. This of course has its own downside in that people are lead to inflate their expenses to pocket government money for themselves or for their party (like it happened in Italy). Short terms are actually a good safeguard against permanent cronyism, since long term politicians tend to privilege the status quo to stay in power.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

VickyCaramel wrote: In effect, those that are downplaying the threat of Islam are a 5th column, giving aid and comfort to the enemy.
I'm downplaying the threat of Islamic terrorism, not Islam itself. But those who don't toe the party lines are just (racists|the Fifth Column), amirite?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Palestinians included?
Of course.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: In effect, those that are downplaying the threat of Islam are a 5th column, giving aid and comfort to the enemy.
I'm downplaying the threat of Islamic terrorism, not Islam itself. But those who don't toe the party lines are just (racists|the Fifth Column), amirite?
I was referring to the regressives, not you.

Thinking that you can convince the western world not to worry about terrorism with rational thinking is... well it isn't rational, but it doesn't make you a Fifth Column.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Kirbmarc wrote: My bad. I confused the problem with heavy level of pollution of Chinese cities and the bad reactions of the Chinese government to this issue with a general lack of effort on environmental issues in China. I should have checked, and for that I apologize.
No need to apologize. The air pollutionin China is extremely shameful, and I used to say that people of the 23rd century might refer to the lands where China and India used to be as apocalyptic wastelands. Also, I think this again demonstrates bias on the part of western media, as air pollution in India is just as bad if not worse, but rarely mentioned. There have been articles pointing out that air pollution in China is going down while India is becoming even more polluted, but the latter is unknown to most westerners.

Not that this should be to the credit of Chinese authorities (after all, they ignored it for years and insisted on calling it fog until the situation was no longer tenable), or that the pressure on China should relent, but India deserves some scrutiny as well.
Kirbmarc wrote:Anyway my point still stands. Climate change isn't just a problem of liberal democracies, or one mainly caused by liberal democracies. It's a global problem caused by technological progress.
This is true, but what I'm hoping to say is that an authoritarian government like the Chinese one could be incredibly effective in taking decisive action when the rulers finally see the light, whereas in liberal democracies, even the most enlightened politicians need to spend time building political will, which is a laborious process that involves convincing the populace and other politicians to stick to the plan for the long haul while fighting back critics and pundits who start gloating before the ink on the legislation is dry.

Again, look at Brexit for example. The day after the referendum, long before invoking Article 50 was even to be considered, the country was already getting cold feet, and people on both sides were immediately gloating that (the economy had already begun crashing|the sky hadn't fallen yet). And people were not arguing over whether it would be a good decision, but over the virtues of respecting a democratic vote in an incredibly dogmatic way. It's a process that inherently lends itself to compromise and consensus, which is good in one respect, but absolutely atrocious for getting anything done in time of crisis and gives undue weight to the middle path.

When a fire starts in a house attached to a complex, and you have two options -- to put all your effort into saving the house, or to cut your losses and try to isolate the fire -- the middle-of-the-road option, to fight the fire everywhere halfheartedly, is what liberal democracies tend to default on, and that can be the most disastrous sollution. I'm not arguing against liberal democracy in principle, but I'm saying that the search for the next best thing is not off just because we've found democracy.

Climate change is indeed an issue that only a united world could get behind, but considering all the bickering about sovereignty and resentments over supposed freeriding from the developing world, a truly coordinated attempt is unlikely until the matter is long out of hand. And that is why every country must individually have a plan and decisively stick to it, regardless of any other strategic calculations or changing political winds.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Creator of the red solo cup dies aged 84. They are dropping like flies!
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /95969690/
Frat scat!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

VickyCaramel wrote:In effect, those that are downplaying the threat of Islam are a 5th column, giving aid and comfort to the enemy.
The true Fifth columns of terrorism are muslim supremacists who don't act violently, people like Mo Ansar or Malia Bouattia, who don't participate in terrorism but spread the idea of muslim exceptionalism and superiority, and of western decadence, racism and inferiority. Those people have the exact same goals of the terrorists, worldwide dominance of islam, but different methods.

At the very least they shouldn't be empowered through social positions (Bouattia is the leader of the National Union of Students) or through circles of influential friendships (Ansar is the "go-to" guy for opinions on islam in many leftists circles). And it's the left which should stop treating them as if they're valid interlocutors and worthy representatives of their communities. As long as the left isn't bothered by people who go against everything they stand for just to stick to the Capitalist Pigs muslim reformers have no friends, and muslims who de-islamify, even just partially, are left to their own devices: the left calls them "traitors" and the right think they're just like the terrorists.

If it wasn't for the social and economical power of the gatekeepers, and for their support in leftist circles, many young muslims would have succumbed to the siren of alcohol, porn, free love and western goods. Instead they do succumb, but then are shamed into submission by gatekeepers, and are ostracized by their communities and isolated from family and friends, until they're ripe for brainwashing.

It's not a coincidence that many muslim terrorists were formerly drug users or petty criminals or not very religious: they're the ones who are shamed, ostracized, made feel suicidal for their "sins" and then offered "redemption" through martyrdom. The role of shame and guilt in islam and the influence of the negative feedback of tight-knit social groups on mental health of "transgressors" is something worth thinking about more.

Imams who teach that the "west is decadent" and "islam is pure" are indirectly (or not so indirectly) creating fertile ground for terrorism.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Brive1987 wrote:We are visiting our puppy tomorrow before taking possession later in Jan.

The expectation is he will look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/SDbfHZ1.jpg
A spinner could make good use of excess floof from your new puppy. There are loads of spinners in Oz, but if you don't know any, you could always send floof to me. I might even send it back in the form of yarn. Just sayin'. :D

ConcentratedH2O, OM

The size of Caine's self-awareness reaches the Planck Length:

http://i.imgur.com/I5T1VfO.png

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

You might have Pit fatigue when Muscato announce he's doing an AMA on Facebook but you'd rather wait for the reviews.

Reviews i'll probably get on the Pit anyway, so ... yeah it does not make sense but i like the expression "Pit fatigue" and feel lazy today.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

VickyCaramel wrote: I was referring to the regressives, not you.

Thinking that you can convince the western world not to worry about terrorism with rational thinking is... well it isn't rational, but it doesn't make you a Fifth Column.
Fair enough. My bad for misinterpreting.
Kirbmarc wrote: The core elements of liberal democracy are civil and political individual rights and freedom, equality before the law, a justice system based on protecting those rights and some kind of system of representation based on voting rights for everyone over a certain age. Everything else should be debated about and is possible to change or reform. The cult of the US constitution doesn't represent all liberal democracies or even the core elements of liberal democracy. In some aspects the US, being the first liberal democracy, had a pretty primitive constitution.
But it shows nevertheless that it is possible for a liberal democracy to calcify to the point of dogma, and for people to oppose making changes on the grounds that 'things have always been this way'. Common points where such calcification frequently happens include institutions/traditions, flags, national anthems, laws, and historical borders and internal divisions. For instance, some Americans oppose statehood for DC, because that would change the state count from 50 and probably require a change to the flag. Then there's the persistence of monarchies throughout Europe.
Kirbmarc wrote: It's important not to confuse the Islamic State with the more vague idea of muslim supremacy. The Islamic State isn't the only organization which supports an idea of a muslim caliphate. All the Salafis do, and some of them fight against the Islamic State over who are the "real muslims". Saudi Arabia has supported Salafi and other muslim supremacist groups for years. The fact that the Islamic State specifically is hostile to the current Saudi regime doesn't mean that the Saudi regime doesn't support people who wish to establish a worldwide caliphate.
I don't support backing the Saudi regime either way, but doesn't the lacklustre performance of the current Islamic state show how little the average Islamist really puts money where their mouth is? I mean at its core, the caliphate is just a splinter group from al-Qaeda, and despite their new grandiose appellation, they have barely carved out a territory in a power vacuum in a desert. There are long-term concerns to Islam eroding liberal values, although right now the illiberals in the west seem to be doing a much better job.

(BTW, I refrain from calling them the Islamic State not for ideological reasons, but because I don't like that their acronym sullies the name Isis, which is a totally innocuous Egyptian goddess and a perfectly cromulent name.)
Kirbmarc wrote: All true, it's not a matter of inner goodness, it's a matter of which system works best. Inner goodness is a poor meter of judgment for anything. No person is completely good (or evil for that matter), no group of people are good, nothing is always and forever good. However as of right now liberal democracy works much better than any other system, so it's better to improve it rather than to throw it away.
I never advocated throwing it away! I'm for keeping our eyes open and continuing the search for a better political system, while making sure we're not so attached to what we have now that we start worshiping it.
Kirbmarc wrote: The problems with healthcare or education in the US have less to do with constitutional rights and more to do with state rights and, once again, lobbies. Isolated communities can lobby at a state level for non-standard education. The US government actually spends more money on healthcare per capita than many other governments of liberal democratic countries (like the UK), but a lot of those money benefits people who are only marginally involved in education or healthcare and are part of a system of pharmaceutical, insurance or legal groups of interest.
What I'm saying is that since the US constitution makes no provision for universal education or healthcare, the federal government had to get rather creative in creating patchwork frameworks on constitutionally thin ground. Not only is this inefficient and results in paying more for less, it also opens them up to many legal (and for many, moral) challenges from those who harbour the dogmatic idea that the federal government is an intrinsically hostile entity while cutting the state much more slack. And all these ideas have their origins in the writings of the founders, which are again also treated much like biblical epistles, and that means the debate hasn't moved much beyond the 18th century.

For the UK, the NHS has almost taken on almost the same mythical qualities as the Yamato imperial dynasty -- it's a beast that can be starved and played as a puppet for popular support, but publicly few people dare to speak too harshly or cynically of it.
Kirbmarc wrote: In many liberal democracies campaign costs are funded by the State. This of course has its own downside in that people are lead to inflate their expenses to pocket government money for themselves or for their party (like it happened in Italy). Short terms are actually a good safeguard against permanent cronyism, since long term politicians tend to privilege the status quo to stay in power.
The situation is kind of near apocalyptic in the US. Representatives spend so much time fundraising, it's a wonder how they ever manage to get anything done. Little wonder that so much legislation is simply written by lobbyists and donors. I know John Oliver is not viewed upon kindly here, but he has an episode on congressional fundraising, and it sounds seriously soul-crushing.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Brive1987 wrote:We are visiting our puppy tomorrow before taking possession later in Jan.

With great doggo comes great responsibility. Please treat the doggo with love and care. It's really something one often doesn't realize until it's too late.

free thoughtpolice

Oxytocin overload :cdc:

Guest_935516df

Post by Guest_935516df »

This guy is special.
-Soylent

free thoughtpolice

Guest_935516df wrote:This guy is special.
-Soylent
I'm sure he's a fan of David Seaman (no kidding).
[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

[youtube][/youtube] :twatson:

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

So I'm currently back home for the holidays, and Twitter video definitely autoplays on this computer where no one has ever touched Twitter.

Fixing the video foobar for free thoughtpolice:
[youtube][/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

[youtube][/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I get the joke now.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Ape+lust wrote:Muscato gives a tour of his room. At 4:16 he says he's "really excited to start transitioning," but doesn't elaborate.

So, the medical issues that hindered him have been resolved. Or suddenly becoming the butt of hairy-trans memes convinced him to proceed anyway.

[youtube][/youtube]

Whoa. Yikes. Well. I regret complaining about Muscato looking & acting like a well-adjusted straight cis dude.

That simpering way he's talking now-- makes my skin crawl. Yuck.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Just having a nice hot buttered rum. Mmmmm. Warming...

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

I'm hearing rumours the queen is dead. I'm not sure if they mean Elizabeth or Elton.

...I still haven't got over Harambe yet!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Service Dog wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Muscato gives a tour of his room. At 4:16 he says he's "really excited to start transitioning," but doesn't elaborate.

So, the medical issues that hindered him have been resolved. Or suddenly becoming the butt of hairy-trans memes convinced him to proceed anyway.

[youtube][/youtube]

Whoa. Yikes. Well. I regret complaining about Muscato looking & acting like a well-adjusted straight cis dude.

This fucker claims to be living in a homeless shelter. While "receiving physical therapy three times a week", thanking "his Patreons who literally" allow him to survive, and also being a "writer" with things "in the pipeline".

He's either lying about the shelter, or else he is a pretentious cunt taking up a valuable bed space. As someone meticulously detailed a week or two ago, one of his selfie videos showed hundreds of dollars worth of guitar equipment in his previous?/current? home.

I suspect some rather embarrassing truths about his actual lifestyle might come to be revealed.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

If that narcissistic gasbag of a POTUS-elect dropped dead before the inauguration, I wouldn't be upset. Finish off 2016/start off 2017 ... either way is good.

And no I don't care that I'm a cunt for saying that.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BarnOwl wrote:If that narcissistic gasbag of a POTUS-elect dropped dead before the inauguration, I wouldn't be upset. Finish off 2016/start off 2017 ... either way is good.

Er, you REALLY want Trump alive. The alternative is completely terrifying...

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Lsuoma wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:If that narcissistic gasbag of a POTUS-elect dropped dead before the inauguration, I wouldn't be upset. Finish off 2016/start off 2017 ... either way is good.

Er, you REALLY want Trump alive. The alternative is completely terrifying...
Yeah, that's what my dad thinks too. I'm not so sure though ... Trump's belief in his own omnipotence and omniscience is terrifying. I think evangelical godbags like Pence can be manipulated. I've manipulated evangelical godbags before, and I'm not that smart or devious.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Earlier today I was filling in some lecture and lab dates on my desk calendar at work (yes I'm a Luddite), when I was suddenly compelled to grab a black pencil and write Doom, Doom, Doom in the space for Inauguration Day.

Guest_935516df

Post by Guest_935516df »

Lsuoma wrote:
His last name is Seaman. Given what he is "investigating" I find that to be way more than a coincidence. It must be a conspiracy.
-Soylent

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Obama is totally poking the crazy with the POTUS-elect right now. :whistle:

Really?

Post by Really? »

Service Dog wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

Is she in the women's section of the shelter?

More importantly, why doesn't she hold off on the "activism" and moronic tweeting and get a fucking job?

She's seeing a physical therapist three times a week.

Must be nice to be able to see a medical professional.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Really? wrote:
Is she in the women's section of the shelter?

More importantly, why doesn't she hold off on the "activism" and moronic tweeting and get a fucking job?

She's seeing a physical therapist three times a week.

Must be nice to be able to see a medical professional.
She mentioned that there were kids nearby, so it seems likely that she's in the women's section.

And ain't that the truth about seeing a medical professional. I have excellent healthcare coverage, but even so, the main reason I was able to get into the specialty clinic so "soon" is that I'm a teaching colleague of the physician who directs it. My first physical therapy appointment isn't until next week, and additional appointments will be once a week at best, certainly not three times a week. Even if it turns out that I don't have fucking osteoarthritis in my hip joint.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Really? wrote:Is she in the women's section of the shelter?...
He'd better be, after all his squalling about squatting among women when he drops a loaf. If he's this sanguine about rooming apart from the LADIES, he's more a frumpy mouse than an activist.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Ape+lust wrote:
Really? wrote:Is she in the women's section of the shelter?...
He'd better be, after all his squalling about squatting among women when he drops a loaf. If he's this sanguine about rooming apart from the LADIES, he's more a frumpy mouse than an activist.
I'm sure the other women in the common bathroom are glad she is there for girl chat.

Guest_935516df

Post by Guest_935516df »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:This fucker claims to be living in a homeless shelter. While "receiving physical therapy three times a week", thanking "his Patreons who literally" allow him to survive, and also being a "writer" with things "in the pipeline".

He's either lying about the shelter, or else he is a pretentious cunt taking up a valuable bed space. As someone meticulously detailed a week or two ago, one of his selfie videos showed hundreds of dollars worth of guitar equipment in his previous?/current? home.

I suspect some rather embarrassing truths about his actual lifestyle might come to be revealed.
I completely believe that he currently lives in a homeless shelter of some kind. A chair, bed & room that shitty don't just come out of nowhere.
That selfie video of his equipment is 3 months old. I guess the question is what did he do with all of the equipment? Hock it? Stow it in his van? Leave it with a friend?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

The comments are well worth the read. Open trans warfare. Apparently Danny Boy's antics are not well appreciated amongst fellow townsfolk.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

BarnOwl wrote:Earlier today I was filling in some lecture and lab dates on my desk calendar at work (yes I'm a Luddite), when I was suddenly compelled to grab a black pencil and write Doom, Doom, Doom in the space for Inauguration Day.
Expect change:

[youtube][/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:

With great doggo comes great responsibility. Please treat the doggo with love and care. It's really something one often doesn't realize until it's too late.
I am the living epitome of charm, love and care.

On the other hand I am glad any ambiguity over Dave's mental health has been cleared up. Mad as a hatter.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Anyone else feel like Korean for New Years Day?

Really?

Post by Really? »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
The comments are well worth the read. Open trans warfare. Apparently Danny Boy's antics are not well appreciated amongst fellow townsfolk.
Wow...
Angry Person 1 Two years is way too much time to be stuck in first gear. The beard? Good god.
4 hrs
Angry Person 2 I feel that you are hurting our cause! Why would you go around publicly with a beard!
4 hrs
Danielle Muscato
Danielle Muscato I haven't had a beard since before I came out...
1 · 4 hrs
Angry Person 1 *coughs* bullshit*coughs*
4 hrs
Danielle Muscato
Danielle Muscato Do you actually care about the facts, or are you just trolling? I shaved my beard the day after I came out to my bosses in 2014.
4 hrs
First of all, in her homeless video, Muscato says, "I got razors, which I obviously need" or something to that effect.

I suppose it depends on what the definition of "beard" is. This is November 13, 2016:
Oh, shit, we got some info:
Angry Person 1 answer my simple question. Why have you not began transition? Very simple.
4 hrs · Edited
Danielle Muscato
Danielle Muscato I just spent two entire hours straight answering questions, specifically because YOU guys asked me to. I really don't think it's appropriate for you to demand more from me tonight. Watch the AMA.
4 hrs
Angry Person 1 I am an activist. I fight at our state capitol for rights, appear in the press and have mentored over 350 girls from start to fulltime. I am the real deal. Block me. I will be sure to pass that on to the over 20,000 trans community members I know personally. You want to talk, talk. Convince me your not a con man.
4 hrs
Angry Person 1 I am taking your refusal to answer to my members. Good luck to you. You had your chance.
Danielle Muscato Angry Person 1 I'm not going to block you. Short answer:

My cardiologist wants me to have heart surgery before I start hormones.

I came out a lot sooner than I wanted to, because some people found out I was trans and were threatening to go to the media. As a public figure, I didn't have a choice.

As far as transitioning now, I was laid off a few months after I came out, and I am currently unemployed and homeless.

Okay?
4 hrs · Edited

Angry Person 1 Look pretty well dressed and fed for a homeless person. Want to try again? PS- I am a retired professional Paramedic, so my bullpoop detector is really good. 7 years as a police officer too.
4 hrs · Edited
Danielle Muscato
Danielle Muscato May I message you?
What wonders those messages might hold.

And how the hell could anyone "find out he was trans?" The trans people won't even accept it!

Wow, they are totally onto him:
Beard in July. Purchase up to 5 guitars in August? Looks employed to me.
Of course, there are a few misguided and deluded faithful.
Deluded person: well I hope that she finds her way through the anger ..I'm sure it's justified but misguided af here. Fuck the bully type. That shit must get called out!! She also made a post about not supporting you on her page like 25 minutes ago. Very harsh and unnecessary. This isn't about you. It's all about her.
p.s. Danielle, like PZ, is a vegetarian. Obviously.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well this might set the cat amoungst the pigeons:

Simon and Schuster have given Milo a $250,000 advance for a book.

http://theralphretort.com/white-nationa ... -12028016/

The usual suspects are outraged. Happy New Year all.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

[youtube][/youtube]
Love how he starts off with a pathetic attempt at a female voice and then thinks "fuck it" for the rest of the video :)

If I had debilitating back pain, I'd try anything to get rid of it like, I don't know, losing fucking weight.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

CommanderTuvok wrote: Anybody here at The Pit know what type of car Richard Carrier drives, and does he have any connection to "NatashasFlower1"????

:lol:
A Honda Jizz surely?

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

S'pose everybody's seen Rogue One who's going to? My thoughts:

Enjoyed it. More of a war film and less of a swashbuckler than the rest of the Star Wars series. Did a great job maintaining tension for long periods of time. Felicity Jones owns the screen, and the robot had some funny lines. None of the other characters were terribly memorable though, and I had already forgotten the names of pretty much all the characters, including Diego Luna's character, the ostensible male lead, as we left the cinema.

Not sure what to make of CGI Peter Cushing and 19-year-old Carrie Fisher. Kind of used to CGI characters mixing with real actors by now, but when it's CGI characters you've previously seen as real actors, it kind of throws you. And they didn't quite get Peter Cushing's voice, perhaps understandably because nobody talks like Peter Cushing.

I'm enough of a nerd to have read some of the early draft scripts of the original films, and I was amused they were re-using some of the sillier ideas, like "Kyber crystal" and Darth Vader having a castle. The film did a good job of making Vader scary again, although James Earl Jones is starting to sound a bit old (looked him up on Wikipedia, he's 85).

They promoted it as a "stand-alone" film, but it's really not. I can't imagine any of it would make much sense to someone who hadn't seen the original Star Wars - of which there are still a few.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

I see the Democrats are still aggressively learning nothing. There's a "Michelle Obama for 2020" page that's being shared widely all over Arsebook. Yeah, lets have another candidate whose only recommendation for the job is being married to someone who previously did it. That'll dispel the feeling in the electorate that the Democrats are a bunch of elitist insiders.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

paddybrown wrote:I see the Democrats are still aggressively learning nothing. There's a "Michelle Obama for 2020" page that's being shared widely all over Arsebook. Yeah, lets have another candidate whose only recommendation for the job is being married to someone who previously did it. That'll dispel the feeling in the electorate that the Democrats are a bunch of elitist insiders.
I dunno - having name recognition (from whatever field) - seems to be an exploitable factor.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Good to see PZ recovered from his personal blow in a day and is now back to his super sleuthing any and all sexual impropriety. BTW, for anyone wanting a stroll down memory lane, the "Spokane, Washington’s Most Single Man” post is pure pleasure. It's all there, the vitriol, viciousness, cruelty, the deep self unawareness -- and a few zingers from the other side.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

There is now a book recommendation thread so I don't have to fuck about with bookmarks within the major thread of doom. Also, it might be helpful to other people!

http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=512

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

8.30pm and 30 degrees. Ugg.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

paddybrown wrote:S'pose everybody's seen Rogue One who's going to? My thoughts:

Enjoyed it. More of a war film and less of a swashbuckler than the rest of the Star Wars series. Did a great job maintaining tension for long periods of time. Felicity Jones owns the screen, and the robot had some funny lines. None of the other characters were terribly memorable though, and I had already forgotten the names of pretty much all the characters, including Diego Luna's character, the ostensible male lead, as we left the cinema.

Not sure what to make of CGI Peter Cushing and 19-year-old Carrie Fisher. Kind of used to CGI characters mixing with real actors by now, but when it's CGI characters you've previously seen as real actors, it kind of throws you. And they didn't quite get Peter Cushing's voice, perhaps understandably because nobody talks like Peter Cushing.

I'm enough of a nerd to have read some of the early draft scripts of the original films, and I was amused they were re-using some of the sillier ideas, like "Kyber crystal" and Darth Vader having a castle. The film did a good job of making Vader scary again, although James Earl Jones is starting to sound a bit old (looked him up on Wikipedia, he's 85).

They promoted it as a "stand-alone" film, but it's really not. I can't imagine any of it would make much sense to someone who hadn't seen the original Star Wars - of which there are still a few.
The first half was pretty weak. That dude with the fake leg seemed all puff and no push. The required daddy scene, the rather pointless skirmish in the city .... The lead girl's induction to the resistance didn't live up to the preview vibe.

But the second half largely made up for it. I just rewatched Awakens last night and that was far more even in its goodness.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Where did Danielle's shit go. In three months. There is way too much $$ in that collection to not be worth a lot of week's rent in a good place. Hope the trans police are onto it.

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

Service Dog wrote:

In all fairness, the alt-righters insisted on using the UN definition of genocide... which apparently contains the absurd stuff the alt-righters say is happening to whites. I buy that. The EU says adult white women choosing to get their clits pierced is 'genital mutilation' as-is african women who put toothpaste in their pussy to increase pleasurable friction. So, sure, their standard for genocide is probably something Anita Sarkeesian said.

I think the Drexel prof is too stupid to realize the alt-right doesn't mind if their White Genocide is debunked, as long as SJW hyperbole crumbles with-it.
wtf? I have never heard of this. Sauce?