The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Cnutella

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Cnutella »

DrokkIt wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
There's a good article over at The Federalist, This Election Marks The End Of America’s Racial Détente, which is itself a response to White Won, published over at Slate.
Interesting read. I'm seeing a awful lot of refusenik push-back against this idea, but I'm hoping people are getting #WOKE about what the last 10 years of divisive identity politics has helped facilitate.
The new 'post-election' tactic for ID politics-pushing is an expansion of the strategy they were trying to push before the election, which is something along the lines of "don't ask us to not to pursue identity politics because all politics are identity politics. That was a major part if the platform in the laughably stillborn an Open Letter On Identity Politics co-signed by mostly by leftists known for their asshattery online.

After the election and the rise in dissent within progressive/liberal circles questioning the role of ID politics and whether they might be seen by many voters as an irrelevant diversion at best and a divisive election-loser at worst, they modified this strategy, but I think the modification will be short-lived because, if anything, it doubles down on aggressive finger wagging and name-calling.

What they did was instead of saying that all politics are, to some extent, identity politics, now the line is "if you say that we shouldn't be focusing on ID politics or if you say we should shift focus to class politics, then you,arw actually puahing your own identity politics, and you know what those are?

White identity politics. Yup. You're practically a racist. I haven't seen anyone say that calling for less focus on ID politics is actually issuing a rallying call for white supremacy, but since they got busy devaluing the term white supremacy by applying it to all sorts of irrelevant shit, I will not be surprised if they try to tag liberals who kick against the ID jams in this way.

I don't see this really catching on as a strategy, unless SJWs really do have a subconscious urgent try to throw any further elections so that they can perennially be in the position of victim/critic and not have to witness the inevitable failure of whoever it is they support.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

yomomma wrote:Hello Sweet Bambinos.

I left you and kids many moons ago and I feel really bad about that. I just wanted to give you all better lives. I thought leaving you with your many Dads here would provide you with a lifestyle I couldn't afford. Since then, the world has changed. People don't talk anymore, they do the Twitters and chat snap. This makes me sad. Figured since most of you are grown, you won't drive me to do crack anymore.

I now come here now seeking knowledge.

So, is the bulk of this white supremacy accusation-- that they are major players in the alt-right movement basically borne of a troll via Pepe the frog? I figured you crazy kids would be more hip on this whole phenom. You're good with the handheld computer thingies and stuff.

Tried to post a link, but this device so rudely said :naughty: :naughty:

AHOLES!
The term "Alt Right" itself started with the Mencius Moldbug/"Dark Enlightenment" crowd, so far as I'm aware. While it was originally speculative, geeky and libertarian in origin (in the spirit of, "Did we get the conditions for a free society wrong, are they perhaps tied to race and culture, is democracy counterproductive to freedom, and does a free society actually require strong leadership?") their airing of human biodiversity, the anchor to civilization that culture provides, their suspicion that strongmen (at their best) are a condition for a free society, and the fact that libertarian ideas seem to be closely correlated with white cultures, etc., provided arguments that encouraged, and attracted, progressively dumber people who shade off into genuine racists, some of whom took the term for themselves.

In that sense of Alt Right, racists and fascists are definitely part of the Trump phenomenon, but they're really a small part. One of the things that fucks with SJWs heads is that generally people in the broader coalition let the far-Right Alt Righters say their piece in online discussions (that being part of the overall re-commitment to free speech) and mostly ignore them. Fear is the mind-killer.

And of course "Alt Right" is now being used by liberals to tar everyone with the same brush as the fringe, even though a fair proportion of the people liberals think of as Alt Right are classically liberal or even Left. In that sense I'm a proud member too. Many of us here would probably be labelled the same way. Personally, I'd rather self-identify it as the New Enlightenment, or (if that name's already taken) something like Second Enlightenment.

The memetic warfare thing comes from /pol/ at 4chan originally, and it's partly connected to the broader New Enlightenment - it's been taken up by lots of others in the broad coalition (including some of the racists). The 4chan folks cooked up a troll religion involving a deity based on an actual Egyptian frog god Kekui (fortuitously close to "kek" as in "top kek") who's part of the Hermopolis "Ogdoad" (origin of the world myth). Kek has his avatar (Pepe, who has a multitude of image incarnations, including some Nazi) and sort-of-prophets (Harambe, Trump). It's also related to something called "Chaos Magick", which in turn is a fairly recent (1970s or so) drug-fuelled evolution of Aleister Crowley's original "Magick", but using modern tools like the computer to create memes rather than summoning demons in a magick circle. There's also a bunch of febrile horseshit posing as multiple instances of synchronicity, cooked up using a bit of hacking and a bit of Photoshop. It's quite fun, basically religion-as-MUD, and as a novel form make-believe I think it's given a fair number of people (who aren't Christian or of another religion/ideology themselves) a bit of psychological bolstering and social unity, to punch through the indoctrination. Sort of a "fight fire with fire" tactic - free folks' memetic propaganda vs. globalist memetic propaganda, as it were. The great thing being it's so ridiculous it's unlikely to take hold as an actual ideology, apart from among the sorts of people who piss into their old Mountain Dew bottles).

On the other hand, you never know. Praise Kek! ;)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Shatterface wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:We've had a jail break. Fucking corn snake decided to go for a hike. I wouldn't worry too much if it weren't for the cats. I wonder who we'll find dead first...
Please tell me the snake made a dummy snake from an old sock so you wouldn't discover he was missing till too late just like those guys who escaped from Pentonville last week.
Close enough. The little bastard disturbed his substrate so it looked like he was buried under it. When we checked, he wasn't. I don't think it was intentional, but I'm not ready to reject the notion just yet.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dave wrote:OK. Which of you shitlords is writing for the Des Moines Register? I swear this piece could have been a post here: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /93809238/
From the article:
And when rape does occur, women should call police, not the dean of student affairs.
I think this also should apply to tenured Ass. Profs of Biology who teach at MMU...

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

The Alt right is just another label invented by lefty/liberals so they can group people together and accuse them of 'isms.' Us conservatives where around long before anybody had time for the lefty/liberals by virtue of just fighting to stay alive. We will also be around after the stupid self loathing cucks have gone. Probably when they all commit suicide by self immolation because of their guilt for being born in the first place.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:I expect that we'll soon see similar articles about how black people who voted for Trump are Uncle Toms and gay people who voted for Trump are Aunt Marys. Peezus forbids that people might have agency instead of being a Borg collective.
Arguably, the SJW do add your distinctiveness to theirs, and adapt you to service them.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

John D wrote:
Girl Writes What nails it! And one of my cousins called me "evil" for posting this!

http://www.radiotimes.com/uploads/image ... 118596.gif

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:We've had a jail break. Fucking corn snake decided to go for a hike. I wouldn't worry too much if it weren't for the cats. I wonder who we'll find dead first...
I feel for the owner, finding his beloved pet after several days, covered in cat piss.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Last one:
Service Dog wrote: When the believers saw the Confederate forces…it only added to their faith and their zeal in obedience.” (Quran 33:2
Whereas http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp ... 33&verse=2
Yusuf Ali: But follow that which comes to thee by inspiration from thy Lord: for Allah is well acquainted with (all) that ye do.
So I am very curious as to where you got those quotes from.
I googled something-like "Koran" and "mourning" & found all the quotes at the first link I pursued.

For that last quote, i think the citation got clipped. it is probably Chapter 33 Verse Twenty-Something, rather thsn verse 2

feathers

Post by feathers »

jet_lagg wrote:Russian politics is his area of expertise, but if you send him to Ukraine he's going to he's going to write about how racist Ukraine is and how it relates to racism in America. I'm really serious about seeing racism under every rock. It's all he thinks about all day, every day. He's a nice enough guy. Doesn't stoop to the hysterics driven condemnations and calls to violence you see in so many SJWs. He's still loopy though.
I have a sneaking suspicion he's never been on the receiving end of real racism: refused access to a dancing, being beaten up by nazi thugs etc.

feathers

Post by feathers »

John D wrote:My daughter voted Johnson (like her dad)... haha. A bunch of my family is openly hating on me and claiming I pressured my daughter to vote my way. (Like I could ever force my kid to do anything... haha).
Well, thanks for escalating the Vietnam War I guess.

Wait, how old are you?

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

KiwiInOz wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote:slightly Scottish conservative historian Niall Ferguson , who some may know is married to Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
I want to know how he can be slightly Scottish. What percentage is required?
The reference was to his accent, which only occasionally sounds Scottish.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

paddybrown wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
InfraRedBucket wrote:slightly Scottish conservative historian Niall Ferguson , who some may know is married to Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
The reference was to his accent, which only occasionally sounds Scottish.
So is he a true Scotsman, or not?

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

The little bastards are escape artists. They usually head for the nearest heat source, if you have ducts, he can be in there for a while. Good luck finding him, I freak when mine gets lost.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Service Dog wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Last one:
Service Dog wrote: When the believers saw the Confederate forces…it only added to their faith and their zeal in obedience.” (Quran 33:2
Whereas http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp ... 33&verse=2
Yusuf Ali: But follow that which comes to thee by inspiration from thy Lord: for Allah is well acquainted with (all) that ye do.
So I am very curious as to where you got those quotes from.
I googled something-like "Koran" and "mourning" & found all the quotes at the first link I pursued.

For that last quote, i think the citation got clipped. it is probably Chapter 33 Verse Twenty-Something, rather thsn verse 2
OK. I think I will do a search for the exact words and see what pops up.
Service Dog wrote: For that last quote, i think the citation got clipped. it is probably Chapter 33 Verse Twenty-Something, rather thsn verse 2
Correct. It is from 33:22
Yusuf Ali: When the Believers saw the Confederate forces, they said: "This is what Allah and his Messenger had promised us, and Allah and His Messenger told us what was true." And it only added to their faith and their zeal in obedience.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Teal Dear has an interesting video about "oppression inflation" - how feminists keep printing banknotes of new forms of "oppression" which devalue the existing forms, and how things like vacuum cleaners and sex toys that were originally invented to make women's lives easier later become symbols of women's oppression.

An example he didn't use but occurred to me - when Obamacare was starting up, some employers didn't want to pay for women's contraceptives and that was a "war on women", but recently when a trial for a male contraceptive drug was halted, the "burden" of contraception on women was part of their oppression. Women used to be oppressed by the patriarchal institution of marriage, but now they're oppressed by men who are reluctant to get married. They used to be oppressed by being a minority in higher education, but now they're the majority they're oppressed because there aren't enough college-educated men to pair off with. It's almost as if women's claims to be oppressed are just emotional blackmail and guilt games that men always seem to fall for.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
John D wrote:
Girl Writes What nails it! And one of my cousins called me "evil" for posting this!

http://www.radiotimes.com/uploads/image ... 118596.gif
If you liked that, you'll love this:-

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

feathers

Post by feathers »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Classic No Real Scotsman?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

feathers wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Classic No Real Scotsman?
You have been so ninjad.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I ... m-0016.jpg

feathers

Post by feathers »

KiwiInOz wrote:You have been so ninjad.

Guess I didn't get off Scot-free.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

feathers wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:You have been so ninjad.

Guess I didn't get off Scot-free.
He has a proper sporran but he needs a proper kilt pin.
https://kiltsandmore.com/upload/artikel ... 34C126.jpg
MacKenzie of course since that is the tartan he is wearing. He could also have a sgian dubh but many people no longer bother with it (I hear in the UK you can get hassled by the police for example).

Otherwise he looks good. But really, he is playing the pipes so he does not even have to do that.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

paddybrown wrote: It's almost as if all SJWs' claims to be oppressed are just emotional blackmail and guilt games that a lot of people. always seem to fall for.
FTFY. A useful trick to understand which claims of oppression are reliable or not is that if you need to have post-modern philosophy deconstruct something to explain why it's oppressive it probably isn't.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

gurugeorge wrote:
yomomma wrote:Hello Sweet Bambinos.

I left you and kids many moons ago and I feel really bad about that. I just wanted to give you all better lives. I thought leaving you with your many Dads here would provide you with a lifestyle I couldn't afford. Since then, the world has changed. People don't talk anymore, they do the Twitters and chat snap. This makes me sad. Figured since most of you are grown, you won't drive me to do crack anymore.

I now come here now seeking knowledge.

So, is the bulk of this white supremacy accusation-- that they are major players in the alt-right movement basically borne of a troll via Pepe the frog? I figured you crazy kids would be more hip on this whole phenom. You're good with the handheld computer thingies and stuff.

Tried to post a link, but this device so rudely said :naughty: :naughty:

AHOLES!
The term "Alt Right" itself started with the Mencius Moldbug/"Dark Enlightenment" crowd, so far as I'm aware. While it was originally speculative, geeky and libertarian in origin (in the spirit of, "Did we get the conditions for a free society wrong, are they perhaps tied to race and culture, is democracy counterproductive to freedom, and does a free society actually require strong leadership?") their airing of human biodiversity, the anchor to civilization that culture provides, their suspicion that strongmen (at their best) are a condition for a free society, and the fact that libertarian ideas seem to be closely correlated with white cultures, etc., provided arguments that encouraged, and attracted, progressively dumber people who shade off into genuine racists, some of whom took the term for themselves.

In that sense of Alt Right, racists and fascists are definitely part of the Trump phenomenon, but they're really a small part. One of the things that fucks with SJWs heads is that generally people in the broader coalition let the far-Right Alt Righters say their piece in online discussions (that being part of the overall re-commitment to free speech) and mostly ignore them. Fear is the mind-killer.

And of course "Alt Right" is now being used by liberals to tar everyone with the same brush as the fringe, even though a fair proportion of the people liberals think of as Alt Right are classically liberal or even Left. In that sense I'm a proud member too. Many of us here would probably be labelled the same way. Personally, I'd rather self-identify it as the New Enlightenment, or (if that name's already taken) something like Second Enlightenment.

The memetic warfare thing comes from /pol/ at 4chan originally, and it's partly connected to the broader New Enlightenment - it's been taken up by lots of others in the broad coalition (including some of the racists). The 4chan folks cooked up a troll religion involving a deity based on an actual Egyptian frog god Kekui (fortuitously close to "kek" as in "top kek") who's part of the Hermopolis "Ogdoad" (origin of the world myth). Kek has his avatar (Pepe, who has a multitude of image incarnations, including some Nazi) and sort-of-prophets (Harambe, Trump). It's also related to something called "Chaos Magick", which in turn is a fairly recent (1970s or so) drug-fuelled evolution of Aleister Crowley's original "Magick", but using modern tools like the computer to create memes rather than summoning demons in a magick circle. There's also a bunch of febrile horseshit posing as multiple instances of synchronicity, cooked up using a bit of hacking and a bit of Photoshop. It's quite fun, basically religion-as-MUD, and as a novel form make-believe I think it's given a fair number of people (who aren't Christian or of another religion/ideology themselves) a bit of psychological bolstering and social unity, to punch through the indoctrination. Sort of a "fight fire with fire" tactic - free folks' memetic propaganda vs. globalist memetic propaganda, as it were. The great thing being it's so ridiculous it's unlikely to take hold as an actual ideology, apart from among the sorts of people who piss into their old Mountain Dew bottles).

I read a sensible article on Scott Alexander's blog about just this - by accusing Trump of the worst possible crimes we devalue the words and become desensitised to them when a real threat comes along: YOU ARE STILL CRYING WOLF. He mentions that he had delayed publishing it as he didn't want to accidentally make anyone vote for Trump by making him seem reasonable. He just thinks it's possible to consider Trump as a poor choice because of his lack of experience and other qualifications without demonising him as the love child of Hitler and the antichrist.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Lsuoma wrote:So someone posted a clit from Chasing Amy. WTF ever did happen to Whiny Amy? She seems to have sunk without trace...
I think Surly's Trumping may have been missed. When she is not bleeding she is mourning for the Jews.

:doh:

http://archive.is/vUQF1
I haven’t been this depressed since my very-favorite-ever pit bull, Cooper passed away. It’s definitely on par with that horrible day that I had a miscarriage of a wanted baby and I laid in the emergency room, half naked, staring at the ceiling, bleeding all over a table for 5 hours. A situation mind you, that Mike Pence would want to punish me for and demand I pay for a funeral for. The new government doesn’t think women suffer enough.

I literally feel like I have been kicked in the stomach. I feel like women and POC and LGBTQ and Muslims and Jews and literally everyone other than rich white men have been stripped of value and autonomy. I feel like democracy has failed us. I am gutted. Broken. Crushed.

I didn’t get any sleep last night. I cried. Then I got up this morning and cried into my coffee. I am in mourning for our country and for freedom and for any chance at true equality. I fear we are headed for another great depression or war or many wars. I am afraid. I am in shock. I know I am not alone in these feelings. I know there are others out there and that we need to band together and help each other. Please do that. Please reach out in the comments or privately to all of the people who will be negatively affected by the results of last night’s election. The women, the people with health problems, the immigrants, the POC, the non-white working class.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

At least Amy has some practical counter-revolutionary skills to offer:
Create a secret handshake. Support those who need support. Tell other women you love them

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

gurugeorge wrote:[...] The memetic warfare thing comes from /pol/ at 4chan originally, and it's partly connected to the broader New Enlightenment - it's been taken up by lots of others in the broad coalition (including some of the racists). The 4chan folks cooked up a troll religion involving a deity based on an actual Egyptian frog god Kekui (fortuitously close to "kek" as in "top kek") who's part of the Hermopolis "Ogdoad" (origin of the world myth). Kek has his avatar (Pepe, who has a multitude of image incarnations, including some Nazi) and sort-of-prophets (Harambe, Trump). It's also related to something called "Chaos Magick", which in turn is a fairly recent (1970s or so) drug-fuelled evolution of Aleister Crowley's original "Magick", but using modern tools like the computer to create memes rather than summoning demons in a magick circle. There's also a bunch of febrile horseshit posing as multiple instances of synchronicity, cooked up using a bit of hacking and a bit of Photoshop. It's quite fun, basically religion-as-MUD, and as a novel form make-believe I think it's given a fair number of people (who aren't Christian or of another religion/ideology themselves) a bit of psychological bolstering and social unity, to punch through the indoctrination. Sort of a "fight fire with fire" tactic - free folks' memetic propaganda vs. globalist memetic propaganda, as it were. The great thing being it's so ridiculous it's unlikely to take hold as an actual ideology, apart from among the sorts of people who piss into their old Mountain Dew bottles).

You make it sound like a Right Wing version of Discordianism. The non/serious occult part, half joke, half meme magick (psychological, cognitive etc trickery) is also found there. It was also never really a "thing", but more of an elusive mindset that occasionally referenced itself and thereby makes itself known (also through injokes and codes, fnord).

I shared this before, here's Alan Moore on this type of occultism:
https://arthurmag.com/2007/05/10/1815/

I guess parts of the people lumped into Alt Right think that way, though my impression of the Alt-Right is that they are white-national identitarians, and in a sense SJWs flipped upright again. Since we know this condition as fascism already, it's what a lot of people see. So, the “inverted fascism” of SJWs have, in a sense, help renew old faacistic ideas and make them appear hip again. And that is because copy and inverted negative are identical one step upwards on the abstraction ladder.

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

screwtape wrote:I read a sensible article on Scott Alexander's blog about just this - by accusing Trump of the worst possible crimes we devalue the words and become desensitised to them when a real threat comes along: YOU ARE STILL CRYING WOLF. He mentions that he had delayed publishing it as he didn't want to accidentally make anyone vote for Trump by making him seem reasonable. He just thinks it's possible to consider Trump as a poor choice because of his lack of experience and other qualifications without demonising him as the love child of Hitler and the antichrist.
YOU ARE STILL CRYING WOLF (archived link because Scott deletes stuff if the Wrong People link to it)

Not quoting the entire article because it's full of links and charts, but here's the punchline:
I am a psychiatrist. So far I have had two patients express Trump-related suicidal ideation. One of them ended up in the emergency room, although luckily both of them are now safe and well. I have heard secondhand of more. Like Snopes, I am not sure if the reports of eight transgender people committing suicide due to the election results are true or false.

But if they’re true, it seems really relevant that Trump denounced North Carolina’s anti-transgender bathroom law, and proudly proclaimed he would let Caitlyn Jenner use whatever bathroom she wanted in Trump Tower, and is by far the most pro-transgender Republican president in history.

I notice news articles like Vox: Donald Trump’s Win Tells People Of Color They Aren’t Welcome In America. Or Salon’s If Trump Wins, Say Goodbye To Your Black Friends. MSN: Women Fear For Their Lives After Trump Victory.

Vox writes about the five-year-old child who asks “Is Donald Trump a bad person? Because I heard that if he becomes president, all the black and brown people have to leave and we’re going to become slaves.” The Star writes about a therapist called in for emergency counseling to help Muslim kids who think Trump is going to kill them. I have patients who are afraid to leave their homes.

Listen. Trump is going to be approximately as racist as every other American president. Maybe I’m wrong and he’ll be a bit more. Maybe he’ll surprise us and be a bit less. But most likely he’ll be about as racist as Ronald Reagan, who employed Holocaust denier Pat Buchanan as a senior advisor. Or about as racist as George Bush with his famous Willie Horton ad. Or about as racist as Bill “superpredator” Clinton, who took a photo op in front of a group of chained black men in the birthplace of the KKK. Or about as racist as Bush “doesn’t care about black people!” 43. He’ll have some scandals, people who want to see them as racist will see them as racist, people who don’t will dismiss them as meaningless, and nobody will end up in death camps.

Since everyone has been wrong about everything lately, I’ve started thinking it’s more important than ever to make clear predictions and grade myself on them, so here are my predictions for the Trump administration:

1. Total hate crimes incidents as measured here will be not more than 125% of their 2015 value at any year during a Trump presidency, conditional on similar reporting methodology [confidence: 80%]
2. Total minority population of the US will increase throughout Trump’s presidency [confidence: 99%]
3. US Muslim population increases throughout Trump’s presidency [confidence: 95%]
4. Trump cabinet will be at least 10% minority [confidence: 90%], at least 20% minority [confidence: 70%], at least 30% minority [30%]. Here I’m defining “minority” to include nonwhites, Latinos, and LGBT people, though not women. Note that by this definition America as a whole is about 35% minority.
5. Gay marriage will remain legal throughout a Trump presidency [confidence: 95%]
6. Race relations as perceived by blacks, as measured by this Gallup poll, will do better under Trump than they did under Obama (ie the change in race relations 2017-2021 will be less negative/more positive than the change 2009-2016) [confidence: 70%].
7. Neither Trump nor any of his officials (Cabinet, etc) will endorse the KKK, Stormfront, or explicit neo-Nazis publicly, refuse to back down, etc, and keep their job [confidence: 99%].

If you think differently than me, come up with a bet and see if I’ll take it.

And if you don’t, stop.

Stop fearmongering. Somewhere in America, there are still like three or four people who believe the media, and those people are cowering in their houses waiting for the death squads.

Stop crying wolf. God forbid, one day we might have somebody who doesn’t give speeches about how diversity makes this country great and he wants to fight for minorities, who doesn’t pose holding a rainbow flag and state that he proudly supports transgender people, who doesn’t outperform his party among minority voters, who wasn’t the leader of the Salute to Israel Parade, and who doesn’t offer minorities major cabinet positions. And we won’t be able to call that guy an “openly white supremacist Nazi homophobe”, because we already wasted all those terms this year.

Stop talking about dog whistles. The kabbalistic similarities between “dog whistling” and “wolf crying” are too obvious to ignore.

Stop writing articles breathlessly following everything the KKK says. Stop writing several times more such articles than there are actual Klansmen. Remember that thing where Trump was a random joke, and then the media covered him way more than any other candidate because he was so outrageous, and gave him what was essentially free advertising, and then he became President-elect? Is the lesson you learned from this experience that you need 24-7 coverage of the Ku Klux Klan?

Stop responding to every time somebody says they’re worried about globalists or Wall Street or the elite with “YOU MEAN JEWS? JEWS ARE THE ELITES! ALL GLOBALISTS ARE JEWS! IF YOU’RE WORRIED ABOUT THE ELITE, IT’S DEFINITELY JEWS YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT. IF YOU FEEL SCREWED BY WALL STREET, THEN WHAT YOU MEAN IS YOU WERE SCREWED BY JEWS. IT’S THE JEWS WHO ARE SCREWING YOU. MAKE SURE TO REMEMBER THAT. DEFINITELY TRANSLATE YOUR HATRED TOWARDS A VAGUE ESTABLISHMENT INTO HATRED OF JEWS, BECAUSE THEY’RE TOTALLY THE ONES YOU’RE THINKING OF.” This means you, Vox. Someday those three or four people who still believe the media are going to read this stuff and immediately join the Nazi Party, and nobody in the world will be able to blame them.

Stop saying that being against crime is a dog whistle for racism. Have you ever met a crime victim? They don’t like crime. I work with people from a poor area, and a lot of them have been raped, or permanently disfigured, or had people close to them murdered. You know what these people have in common? They don’t like crime When you say “the only reason someone could talk about law and order is that they secretly hate black people, because, y’know, all criminals are black”, not only are you an idiot, you’re a racist. Also, I judge you for not having read the polls saying that nonwhites are way more concerned about crime than white people are.

Stop turning everything into identity politics. The only thing the media has been able to do for the last five years is shout “IDENTITY POLITICS IDENTITY POLITICS IDENTITY POLITICS IDENTITY POLITICS IDENTITY POLITICS!” at everyone, and then when the right wing finally says “Um, i…den-tity….poli-tics?” you freak out and figure that the only way they could have possibly learned that phrase is from the KKK. You know, a week before Election Day, Lena Dunham, who gave a speech at the Democratic Convention this year, produced and tweeted a video called How Are You Feeling About The Extinction Of White Men? which featured giant feet stepping on cartoon white males in a very-definitely-endorsed-by-the-author way. I am sure you are very well-educated and understand that this is a completely harmless letting-off of steam with no racial overtones; whereas when a Republican says he opposes the corrupt establishment, this is an anti-Semitic dog whistle which proves that his entire life philosophy is based on nothing but hatred and bigotry. But I worry that the non-college-degree-having white working class is not as well-educated as you, and is too ignorant to grasp this simple and obvious point. And maybe they starts thinking of America’s ongoing tribal/partisan conflict through a race-based lens, which is surely an unpredictable testament to their own bad character and not the exact thing you’ve been encouraging every second of every day since the turn of the millennium.

Stop calling Trump voters racist. A metaphor: we have freedom of speech not because all speech is good, but because the temptation to ban speech is so great that, unless given a blanket prohibition, it would slide into universal censorship of any unpopular opinion. Likewise, I would recommend you stop calling Trump voters racist – not because none of them are, but because as soon as you give yourself that opportunity, it’s a slippery slope down to “anyone who disagrees with me on anything does so entirely out of raw seething hatred, and my entire outgroup is secret members of the KKK and so I am justified in considering them worthless human trash”. I’m not saying you’re teetering on the edge of that slope. I’m saying you’re way at the bottom, covered by dozens of feet of fallen rocks and snow. Also, I hear that accusing people of racism constantly for no reason is the best way to get them to vote for your candidate next time around. Assuming there is a next time.

Stop centering criticism of Donald Trump around this sort of stuff, and switch to literally anything else. Here is an incompetent thin-skinned ignorant boorish fraudulent omnihypocritical demagogue with no idea how to run a country, whose philosophy of governance basically boils down to “I’m going to win and not lose, details to be added later”, and all you can do is repeat again and again that he seems popular among weird Internet teenagers who post frog memes. In the middle of an emotionally incontinent reality TV show host getting his hand on the nuclear button, your chief complaint is that in the middle of a few dozen denunciations of the KKK, he once delayed denouncing the KKK for almost an entire 24 hours before going back to denouncing it again. When a guy who says outright that he won’t respect elections unless he wins them does, somehow, win an election, the headlines are how he once said he didn’t like globalists which means he must be anti-Semitic.

Stop attempting suicide. Stop telling people they’re going to be killed. Stop terrifying children. Stop giving racism free advertising. Stop trying to convince people that Americans hate them. Stop. Stop. Stop.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

screwtape wrote:I read a sensible article on Scott Alexander's blog about just this - by accusing Trump of the worst possible crimes we devalue the words and become desensitised to them when a real threat comes along: YOU ARE STILL CRYING WOLF. He mentions that he had delayed publishing it as he didn't want to accidentally make anyone vote for Trump by making him seem reasonable. He just thinks it's possible to consider Trump as a poor choice because of his lack of experience and other qualifications without demonising him as the love child of Hitler and the antichrist.
The other part of the article, which I 100% agree with, is that the media and activists ramped the threat narrative up to 11, and that's having a high negative effect on people's mental health. Not that I think that's anything new. I think that's a very real effect of threat narratives, and IMO one of the main reason to oppose them.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Bhurzum wrote:
dogen wrote:Hah, I lived at Suffield for a year while growing up. My Dad was one of the safety officers. Fucking cold in the winter, eh?
Ah, the "Redtops" were always good for a laugh - cutting about in Gucci gear (not subject to BG standing orders y'see), slurping hot brews/scoff right next to the troops on the ground, reeking of soap/shower gel and generally looking pretty happy with themselves. We always used to curse them and it was only later in my career that I started to understand how hard and vital their job was.

I was part of the team who designed "BATS" (BATUS asset tracking system) with the aim of making their job easier, in the end however, it only made things worse and was probably instrumental in more than a few sackings. It amazed me how the MOD could take a computer controlled mapping and safety system and turn it into an electronic witch hunting tool.

As for the winters - don't remind me! We done a winter med-man that was so cold, the DS actually called off the final week of training. Anyone who has worked with the British Armed forces will tell you that they rarely pull the plug due to weather! It was getting dangerously cold and in an attempt to prolong the training phase, the BG commander somehow managed to scrounge a shipment of Canadian thermal underwear from the local unit. This stuff was bright blue (yup, tactical as fuck!), next to useless and best of all, it was "used" and had not been laundered. The set I was given had more stains and skidmarks than Melody Hensleys underwear after a chipotle binge. Still, I threw it on (layers, more layers!) and tried to ignore the thought/smell.

Yup, BATUS was hard work - hotter than the surface of the sun (or colder than a Polish hooker's gut-locker), no sleep, half starved, pushed to the point of snapping and the sodding thing is a month long!

I'm getting tidal waves of nostalgia here...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hf5j ... in-401.JPG

Note: For the curious, the bungee-cords (with croc-clips) wrapped around the CPS (commanders primary sight) and cuppola plate are for the commander to secure his map, GPS and scratch pad whilst working "opened up." Also, just to the right of the loaders GPMG, you can see a bit of white plastic that has been duct-taped to the turret roof (it's packing from a 7.62mm ammunition tin) - that's a common make-shift scratch pad for the loader - he'll scribble down radio messages on that then wipe it clean after logging them properly.

Sorry if that was a bit nerdy :P
Thanks for the reminiscenses! Is that a GoPro I see toward the center?

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Cnutella wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
There's a good article over at The Federalist, This Election Marks The End Of America’s Racial Détente, which is itself a response to White Won, published over at Slate.
Interesting read. I'm seeing a awful lot of refusenik push-back against this idea, but I'm hoping people are getting #WOKE about what the last 10 years of divisive identity politics has helped facilitate.
The new 'post-election' tactic for ID politics-pushing is an expansion of the strategy they were trying to push before the election, which is something along the lines of "don't ask us to not to pursue identity politics because all politics are identity politics. That was a major part if the platform in the laughably stillborn an Open Letter On Identity Politics co-signed by mostly by leftists known for their asshattery online.

After the election and the rise in dissent within progressive/liberal circles questioning the role of ID politics and whether they might be seen by many voters as an irrelevant diversion at best and a divisive election-loser at worst, they modified this strategy, but I think the modification will be short-lived because, if anything, it doubles down on aggressive finger wagging and name-calling.

What they did was instead of saying that all politics are, to some extent, identity politics, now the line is "if you say that we shouldn't be focusing on ID politics or if you say we should shift focus to class politics, then you,arw actually puahing your own identity politics, and you know what those are?

White identity politics. Yup. You're practically a racist. I haven't seen anyone say that calling for less focus on ID politics is actually issuing a rallying call for white supremacy, but since they got busy devaluing the term white supremacy by applying it to all sorts of irrelevant shit, I will not be surprised if they try to tag liberals who kick against the ID jams in this way.

I don't see this really catching on as a strategy, unless SJWs really do have a subconscious urgent try to throw any further elections so that they can perennially be in the position of victim/critic and not have to witness the inevitable failure of whoever it is they support.
Essentially they are going to make an 'atheism is a faith' argument, which is precisely what happened in that conversation I was cross-posting here the other day.
'You are identifying as non-racist' = 'I insist my system of understanding to be the only relevant one'.

Predictions for 2017 buzzwords:

TOXIC DEMOCRACY
INTERNALISED RACISM (non-white supporting Trump have this coming)
RACE APOLOGIST (if you do not accept that you are a racist)

anyone got any more?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:At least Amy has some practical counter-revolutionary skills to offer:
Create a secret handshake. Support those who need support. Tell other women you love them
That has worked well for other groups in the past.

http://www.theragblog.com/wp-content/up ... klan-1.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

'TOXIC DEMOCRACY' - that's very good. I can honestly see that one taking root.

I can see a buzzword emerging for that whe SJW/regressives might believe to be acceptable violence - ie, violence directed at Trump supporters is intrinsically virtuous because the enemy is so literally Hitler. Something along the lines of 'Right Fight' or 'Goodpunching'.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Aneris wrote:
gurugeorge wrote: The great thing being it's so ridiculous it's unlikely to take hold as an actual ideology, apart from among the sorts of people who piss into their old Mountain Dew bottles).

You make it sound like a Right Wing version of Discordianism.
From the beginning it's reminded my of the Church of the SubGenius. I'm incredibly amused by both. Praise Kek indeed :dance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_SubGenius

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Tigzy wrote:'TOXIC DEMOCRACY' - that's very good. I can honestly see that one taking root.

I can see a buzzword emerging for that whe SJW/regressives might believe to be acceptable violence - ie, violence directed at Trump supporters is intrinsically virtuous because the enemy is so literally Hitler. Something along the lines of 'Right Fight' or 'Goodpunching'.
PCP - Politically Correct Pugilism.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

DrokkIt wrote:
Tigzy wrote:'TOXIC DEMOCRACY' - that's very good. I can honestly see that one taking root.

PCP - Politically Correct Pugilism.
They already have "punching up". And I think that "Internalised Racism" is already a thing, I remember that someone called Thomas Sowell a POC who had internalised racism or something along those lines.

"Toxic Democracy" is very similar to "majoritarianism" which is a buzzword used by Sincere Kirabo over at Patheos.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think that riots / property damage or violence against individuals will have to be renamed as the words used to refer to them could be triggering in their current form.

They could become 'corrective' or 'reactive actions , 'social reorganisation' or maybe revolution if they are going old school - as long as it's the right (or left!) person doing it.

I'm still not sure that the SJWs will ultimately cause as much damage to society as the Trump administration though.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jet_lagg wrote:
Aneris wrote:
gurugeorge wrote: The great thing being it's so ridiculous it's unlikely to take hold as an actual ideology, apart from among the sorts of people who piss into their old Mountain Dew bottles).

From the beginning it's reminded my of the Church of the SubGenius. I'm incredibly amused by both. Praise Kek indeed :dance:

"Bob" Dobbs was the avatar that Oolio used for a while. I'm triggered...

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Wild Zontargs wrote:
YOU ARE STILL CRYING WOLF (archived link because Scott deletes stuff if the Wrong People link to it)

Not quoting the entire article because it's full of links and charts, but here's the punchline:

<snipping wall of text>
Slate Star Codex, where the punchline is 1,600 words long.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

MarcusAu wrote:I think that riots / property damage or violence against individuals will have to be renamed as the words used to refer to them could be triggering in their current form.

They could become 'corrective' or 'reactive actions , 'social reorganisation' or maybe revolution if they are going old school - as long as it's the right (or left!) person doing it.

I'm still not sure that the SJWs will ultimately cause as much damage to society as the Trump administration though.
The Bolsheviks called bank robberies "expropriations".

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Simple buzzword that leads nowhere due to its very own definition: REVOLUTION.

Those shits have a way to come around.

(partly stolen from Sir Pterry. Really, read Night Watch for a good understanding of revolutionary ideology. Pay special attention to Reginald Shoe, the ultimate SJW prototype until he's given police authority.)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

950!

Are we going to make 1000 this time?

If so - does anyone want to get their bets in for the date?

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Lsuoma wrote:
fuzzy wrote:I'd always imagined that pud was a shortened form of 'pudding' and pronounced accordingly. But we Merkins don't always understand the mysterious language you Brits use.
This song has been worming in my ear for several days now, it's def going into the late-night open mic rotation.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

URGH

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/stop-as ... ing-class/
Some Moron Online wrote:This country is getting browner and gayer by the day, and for all they are fighting to get back to the 1950s, lazing in toxic nostalgia isn’t going to change that. The demographics of this country are not on their side. They might want to try understanding the future—in which they are outnumbered and outvoted—because it comes for us all.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

jet_lagg wrote:
Aneris wrote:

You are mistaken, my friend, they are the real thing. Creflo Dollar and the other "Christian Televangelists" are obviously the parody version.

Soapy Stevens

Post by Soapy Stevens »

MarcusAu wrote:I think that riots / property damage or violence against individuals will have to be renamed as the words used to refer to them could be triggering in their current form.
Why reinvent the wheel. Mao had a bunch of these worked out:

It's not beating up someone who disagrees with you, it's an Ideological Struggle Session. Or maybe Re-Education if it involves kidnapping as well. Plus a bit of hardware-assisted Patient Persuasion for those with deep-seated Internal Contradictions.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Karmakin wrote:
The other part of the article, which I 100% agree with, is that the media and activists ramped the threat narrative up to 11, and that's having a high negative effect on people's mental health. Not that I think that's anything new. I think that's a very real effect of threat narratives, and IMO one of the main reason to oppose them.
The morning after my daughter was crying because the media had convinced her that gay people were going to have their marriages annulled. It took sometime to talk her down from the tears and fears. I blame the out-right character assassination and fear-mongering by the media and academics.

I didn't like Trump, but not for all the reasons the media whined on about. I just have doubts he will be able to push his populist agenda and will do more harm than good when he starts brokering deals with the Republicans.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Simple buzzword that leads nowhere due to its very own definition: REVOLUTION.

(partly stolen from Sir Pterry. Really, read Night Watch for a good understanding of revolutionary ideology. Pay special attention to Reginald Shoe, the ultimate SJW prototype until he's given police authority.)
This quote from Night Watch is perfect for the SJW temper tantrum post-Trump:
People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn't that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people.
Spot on.
DrokkIt wrote:URGH

Some Moron Online wrote:This country is getting browner and gayer by the day, and for all they are fighting to get back to the 1950s, lazing in toxic nostalgia isn’t going to change that. The demographics of this country are not on their side. They might want to try understanding the future—in which they are outnumbered and outvoted—because it comes for us all.
I'm surprised he hasn't actually actively wished for white working class people to just go away. But This Is Racism Because Racism is Privilege Plus Power.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Simple buzzword that leads nowhere due to its very own definition: REVOLUTION.

One of Pratchett's better books. The wife and daughter prefer "Monstrous Regiment." We had the inferior US cover, of course:

https://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/wp- ... giment.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Tribble wrote:
The morning after my daughter was crying because the media had convinced her that gay people were going to have their marriages annulled. It took sometime to talk her down from the tears and fears. I blame the out-right character assassination and fear-mongering by the media and academics.

I didn't like Trump, but not for all the reasons the media whined on about. I just have doubts he will be able to push his populist agenda and will do more harm than good when he starts brokering deals with the Republicans.
Hillary and the media have painted him as the next Hitler but he's just Bush meets Reagan with a splash of Nixon.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Dave

Post by Dave »

Saw that. Found myself thinking "Fine, dont empathize. Enjoy political irrelevancy." The demographics of the country are not changing as much as you would like. 2/3rds of the country are still white, and the working class is the majority of that. Good luck winning elections without them. And I suspect that by the time whites are outnumbered, white working class concerns will be shared by black, asian and hispanic working classes, because resentment of being bossed around and anger at working hard and not getting anywhere are common to the human condition, not specifically white issues.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

dogen wrote:Thanks for the reminiscenses! Is that a GoPro I see toward the center?
I've been scratching my head over that too. Best guess - it's a Gucci GPS or a GoPro.

John D

Post by John D »

This is funny.... it is also fake.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

John D wrote:
This is funny.... it is also fake.

Why do people feel the need to state the obvious?

Of course it's funny.

John D

Post by John D »

comhcinc wrote:
John D wrote: This is funny.... it is also fake.

Of course it's funny.
I was dumb enough to think it was real the first time I saw it.... but then I blinked once or twice, and realized it was fake. These things usually don't suck me in... but this one got me at first... haha

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

John D wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
John D wrote: This is funny.... it is also fake.

Of course it's funny.
I was dumb enough to think it was real the first time I saw it.... but then I blinked once or twice, and realized it was fake. These things usually don't suck me in... but this one got me at first... haha

I remembered the original picture.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Dave wrote:

Saw that. Found myself thinking "Fine, dont empathize. Enjoy political irrelevancy." The demographics of the country are not changing as much as you would like. 2/3rds of the country are still white, and the working class is the majority of that. Good luck winning elections without them. And I suspect that by the time whites are outnumbered, white working class concerns will be shared by black, asian and hispanic working classes, because resentment of being bossed around and anger at working hard and not getting anywhere are common to the human condition, not specifically white issues.
Also Hispanics and Blacks are very conservative on average. They side with the progressive because as they're minorities and are swayed through special concessions and quotas, but once they'd become the majority they'd ditch them in heartbeat.

SJWs and many liberals in general seem to think that blacks and hispanics are on the side of progress no matter what but actually black churches and Catholic Hispanic-majority churches aren't less anti-abortion, anti-gay and anti-trans than white evangelical churches.

Trump already got more votes from minorities than Romney. If the GOP becomes progressively more populist and less big business-friendly it can actually attract more and more working class and middle class minority votes along with strong numbers in the white middle and working classes, all while staying as conservative and religious as it is now. If the SJWs/Progressives think that the "browning" of America will always work in their favor they'll be bitterly surprised.

On the positive side the more catholics are there in the US the quicker creationism will peter out since the Catholic church doesn't have so many problems with evolution by natural selection, they're more keen of Teilhard De Chardin's theistic evolution (basically evolution by natural selection is real but god works through it in mysterious ways).