The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
comhcinc

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by comhcinc »

deLurch wrote:Crushed ice clearly has a higher surface area per ounce than cubed ice does.

Crushed ice is rounded and that means less surface area right?

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

comhcinc wrote:
deLurch wrote:Crushed ice clearly has a higher surface area per ounce than cubed ice does.

Has more to do with the size of the pieces. Surface area increases in proportion to the square of the linear size of the piece, and volume ormass in proportion to the cube of the linear size. So as something of the same shape gets bigger, its surface area:volume (or surface area:mass) decreases. So crushed ice has a much higher surface area:mass than cubes, regardless of the particulars of the shape of the crushed pieces.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Lol just for more fun. This is an International Tractor.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... fe0bcb.jpg

And so is this.

http://internationaltractor.net/wp-cont ... ractor.jpg

I have piloted both and the first one is the smoother ride.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

jugheadnaut wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Has more to do with the size of the pieces. Surface area increases in proportion to the square of the linear size of the piece, and volume ormass in proportion to the cube of the linear size. So as something of the same shape gets bigger, its surface area:volume (or surface area:mass) decreases. So crushed ice has a much higher surface area:mass than cubes, regardless of the particulars of the shape of the crushed pieces.

Okay. that makes sense.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John D wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
John D wrote: Look you a-hole. I know you like to think you are the expert of all things southern... but do you even know where Spartanburg is? It is in that fucking yellow spot of your fucking map. You just proved my point and get a fucking clue. Jesus Christ. Please add something of value when you post. You are such an a-hole... really. Listen for once. okay? Just listen for once. Have you ever been to Spartanburg? I have spent weeks there.

If you can't handle a little ribbing then bless your heart and fuck off. But if you really want to be serious for a second sure let's do that.

Yes I know where Spartanburg is, I have lived in South Carolina before. Do you know where it is? I ask because Spartanburg is not in the yellow area. Spartanburg is west of that area.The yellow area is closer to Colombia, another place I have been.

Now I can add some more data. The information in that graph (the one you read incorrectly) is from http://popvssoda.com/. It's a unscientific online survey. The data is also from before 2003 if you go there now and find Spartanburg on their map you get this. (I enacted the labor for you)

http://i.imgur.com/ehLCswL.jpg

Which still shows people in that area overwhelming call the sugar water coke.

I might not be an expert on the South but I know a lot fucking more than you do with your couple of weeks of staying somewhere (are you sure it was Spartanburg? ) in South Carolina.
Oh yeah... so now you want to claim your data is shit and that my interpretation of your shit map is also shit.... and haha... that you were just kidding... whatever.

I don't post my personal experiences on here so that they can be trolled... but go right ahead.

You can't really find any data to claim my observations are false. Tell you what.... why don't you start your convo with me by saying... geee wizzz John.... I always thought people in SC say "coke" instead of "soda". and then I could say, "I don't know... but whenever I am in Spartanburg they say "soda"... I wonder if they say different things in different parts of the state? Then you say something like "Well John, here is a map of word usage and it does look like there is a lot of variation across the state. And I would say... yeah... the map shows that there is more use of "soda" in the general Spartanburg area than other parts of the state.

And then you could say.... gosh John... are you sure that waitress wasn't personally insulting you when she said bless your heart. And I would say,... well in this case her comment was not prompted. She just came up and filled our "soda". She was very sweet and we chatted for a while. I don't think she was insulting me.

Your trolling is annoying.
Don't worby about comcinc: he's just a know-it-all cunt.

Malky

Post by Malky »

comhcinc wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:One regionalism I noticed on biennial Family road trips to Florida for winter vacation when I was a boy was crushed ice vs. cubed ice. There was a point south of which you would always get crushed ice with your drinks in restaurants and north of which you would always get cubes. It's not difficult to figure out why southern areas would prefer crushed ice, since not only are they hotter, but historically poorer with less access to refrigeration so something that would chill even warm drinks quickly was needed. Popularity of iced tea probably also has something to do with it, since crushed iced is best for iced tea. But the suddenness and uniformity of the transition was impressive. I was eventually able to isolate the transition point (at least on the I-75) to about 10 km north of Cincinnati.

Crushed ice also has the advantage of being easier to munch after you have finished off your sweet tea with lemon.

Also "crushed" ice is normally just frozen that way.

http://cdn.foodbeast.com.s3.amazonaws.c ... 8/ice4.jpg

I believe that shape probably melts slower than the traditional "cube" ice. Cubed ice has more surface area and thus melt quicker.

Sorry about this but for a given volume/weight of ice the surface area in the crushed ice will be much larger than the cubes which have nice straight edges as opposed to the jagged edges of the crushed ice. However it is this which makes crushed ice cool a drink quicker than a cube as the heat is exchanged with the ice much faster and as has been pointed out cools the drink faster.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

screwtape wrote:Do Brits still call big tractor-trailers 'juggernauts' or has that hindu borrowing fallen by the wayside?

I'm so far behind on Brit usage. I left before 'chav' was a word.
download/file.php?avatar=1067_1416339111.jpg

Malky

Post by Malky »

JayTeeAitch wrote: No, a tractor in the UK is the farm vehicle with the 2 big back wheels and 2 small front wheels.
A bit of further clarification - a tractor unit is what is at the front of an articulated lorry

Keating

Post by Keating »

Trucks in Europe seem more compact to me. Like a bus, where the windscreen and engine form a straight line perpendicular to the ground. Maybe that's a lorry. Australia seems to have a mix of those and the huge, pointed noses trucks posted above.

Malky

Post by Malky »

A lorry is any large road vehicle specifically designed for road haulage. The name can change with use such as tanker, container etc. or shape e.g. luton bodied. As already pointed out a tractor unit with a haulage behind it is normally known as an artic or if really large a juggernaut, multiple freight trailers are know as road trains.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I thought a dump truck was always a dump truck no matter where you are in the Anglosphere, but apparently in the UK it is known as a 'Dumper' or 'Tipper' truck. (Though, I've never heard of those last two expressions).

Further explanation and plenty of pictures for you to objectify in the link below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dump_truck

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Lsuoma wrote: Don't worby about comcinc: he's just a know-it-all cunt.
No that would be you. And hey you at least spell my name right if you are going to attempt to talk shit about me.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

deLurch wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:While you are all arguing over fizzy drinks, did you know that the Clinton's and the top of DNC are all Satanists. I wish I was joking, though it should go down well in a mostly Christian country. Anyway look up SpiritCooking in Wikileaks.

There are some links in this twatter hashtag:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/SpiritCooking?src=hash
Already discussed. It is all bullshit. Crushed ice clearly has a higher surface area per ounce than cubed ice does.
And, crushed ice can be eaten (even through a straw) faster than waiting for the cubes to melt, so it can be more refreshing (although I heard long ago from dentists that eating ice was bad for the teeth - no idea if it is true). When it is really hot, I prefer the crushed since I'll get cold water/whatever and ice.

Malky

Post by Malky »

MarcusAu wrote:I thought a dump truck was always a dump truck no matter where you are in the Anglosphere, but apparently in the UK it is known as a 'Dumper' or 'Tipper' truck. (Though, I've never heard of those last two expressions).

Further explanation and plenty of pictures for you to objectify in the link below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dump_truck
For me this is a case of use overriding the normal definition. When I was growing up this is what we used to play with on building sites: https://www.jcb.com/en-gb/products/site-dumpers

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I don't hear the term juggernaut in the UK much, these days.

Seemed to disappear the same time as when white dog turds vanished.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

CommanderTuvok wrote: Seemed to disappear the same time as when white dog turds vanished.
The continued existence of the likes of CJ Werleman, Craig Considine etc etc disproves your claim that such have vanished.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

comhcinc wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Did they put something in the water in America? What the fuck is wrong with this election?

I'm not sure it's any worse that it has been in the past. Just more access to media about it.
Yeah if you look at stories about politics in the late 19th/early 20th centuries, there was corruption, people getting beaten up in the streets by gangs of partisan thugs, etc.

Partisan-ness and polarization come in waves, sure, we're very polarized now, but it's not unprecedented.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Sweet tea is good.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I don't hear the term juggernaut in the UK much, these days.

In/around Glasgow, we call the larger vehicles "Artics" (short for "articulated") although "truck" is a pretty widespread and commonly used term too.

Fuck me, it's gotten a bit spoddy in the 'pit!

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Can fish sink boats? You decide.

Keating

Post by Keating »

They're gonna need a bigger boat.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

The size of the boat doesn't matter. It's it's motion in the ocean that is at issue. Idiot needs to learn to pilot his vessel

...with your mom.

free thoughtpolice

AAarrgh, so it was a navigation error were it bosun?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Can fish sink boats? You decide.
Looks like the skipper did most of the work. Sucks to be him.

Boring anecdote:

I was fishing in a float tube back in the day. Hunting for trout and hooked in to a feisty little bluegill. Landed it, unhooked the fly and eased it back into the water. The instant I let it go, it charged through the tube. Bluegills have a series of sharp spines, and it punctured in three different places, defeating the separate chambers and baffles.I barely got to shore, flyrod clenched in my teeth.

So it happens. My loss was a bit less than the boat in the vid.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

The sea be a cruel mistress. One time I caught a 16 footer off Montauk. Had to stick two barrels in him...

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I have never been fishing in the ocean. I have only been fishing in a boat once or twice.

Most of my fishing has been via cane pole on the river bank. Often barefoot.

I am a goddamn walking stereotype.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Cnutella wrote:The sea be a cruel mistress. One time I caught a 16 footer off Montauk. Had to stick two barrels in him...
Too bad it was a baby whale. Mmmm, whale veal...

free thoughtpolice

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Looks like the skipper did most of the work. Sucks to be him.

Boring anecdote:

I was fishing in a float tube back in the day. Hunting for trout and hooked in to a feisty little bluegill. Landed it, unhooked the fly and eased it back into the water. The instant I let it go, it charged through the tube. Bluegills have a series of sharp spines, and it punctured in three different places, defeating the separate chambers and baffles.I barely got to shore, flyrod clenched in my teeth.

So it happens. My loss was a bit less than the boat in the vid.
1st world Moby Dick :lol:
Small fish can sink big boats. It's happened when seine boats circle a large school of fish such as herring and call the packer boat, fish buyer to come and pump the fish out of the net. During the time before the packer arrives things can happen. The net encircles many tons of small fish, that if they act like a school and head in the right direction can roll the fishing boat over and potentially sink it.
Sometimes they have had another boat pull alongside and lash masts and poles together to prevent that.
Much larger boats than the one in the marlin video and displacement boats rather than planing/speed boats.

free thoughtpolice

That doesn't mean I think that video wasn't shooped.

CaptainFluffyBunny

free thoughtpolice wrote:snip
1st world Moby Dick :lol:
Small fish can sink big boats. It's happened when seine boats circle a large school of fish such as herring and call the packer boat, fish buyer to come and pump the fish out of the net. During the time before the packer arrives things can happen. The net encircles many tons of small fish, that if they act like a school and head in the right direction can roll the fishing boat over and potentially sink it.
Sometimes they have had another boat pull alongside and lash masts and poles together to prevent that.
Much larger boats than the one in the marlin video and displacement boats rather than planing/speed boats.
Oh, yeah. Strange things happen at sea. Dangerous, often uncomfortable and either terrifying or monotonous.

But I still spend way too much time looking at boats on Craigslist. I got too crippled up to handle my last one, and my current, handicap-friendly one remains a pile if half-finished lumber in my garage.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Captain if you ever get it finished/ get a new boat, I wanna go out with you at least one.

I will wear my best spring time suit.

Really?

Post by Really? »

If only Dr. Richard C Carrier Phd. BSc., SSc. (Bronze Swimming Certificate and Silver Swimming Certificate) had been around. That boat would have been just fine.

And what a great excuse to resurrect one of the shoops I did in those innocent days before we knew that he was accepting blowies from psycho mistresses in exchange for speaking engagements at skeptic conferences:

http://i.imgur.com/gObcMuI.jpg

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I am curious how an organisation can go through 650,000 confidential emails in about a week. Generally you can review about 500-1000 emails a day per person and that is if you have someone who's very competent. Most people can't come close to this. That includes using filtering techniques to pull out dupes and picking only the top in a chain. Any attachments exponentially increase the amount of time it will take.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

rayshul wrote:I am curious how an organisation can go through 650,000 confidential emails in about a week. Generally you can review about 500-1000 emails a day per person and that is if you have someone who's very competent. Most people can't come close to this. That includes using filtering techniques to pull out dupes and picking only the top in a chain. Any attachments exponentially increase the amount of time it will take.
I imagine the FBI maybe has some methods that aren't available to most 'organisations'. I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of AI has a first pass, and flags those that may require human eyes for a closer look.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

NoGodsEver wrote:
rayshul wrote:I am curious how an organisation can go through 650,000 confidential emails in about a week. Generally you can review about 500-1000 emails a day per person and that is if you have someone who's very competent. Most people can't come close to this. That includes using filtering techniques to pull out dupes and picking only the top in a chain. Any attachments exponentially increase the amount of time it will take.
I imagine the FBI maybe has some methods that aren't available to most 'organisations'. I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of AI has a first pass, and flags those that may require human eyes for a closer look.
There are filtering systems you can use, yes. My estimates include all acceptable filtering you can do and with the use of software that is made to do this kind of work (used for disclosures, etc). If they're using an AI doing a first pass for issues at this level, they are doing a poor job.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

No not hard at all. A computer can match up the duplicate emails in a matter of minutes. Pretty simple actually because the FBI already has the full headers on those email. Then you just look at what you don't have. So the actual number you have to look at is much lower. You then filter out any dick pics and they probably had about 4 to look at.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

I'm not convinced that the fucking FBI wouldn't have methods that none of us are aware of for this kind of shit. I mean, I would hope that they do or they aren't doing their job right.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

NoGodsEver wrote:I'm not convinced that the fucking FBI wouldn't have methods that none of us are aware of for this kind of shit. I mean, I would hope that they do or they aren't doing their job right.

They don't need methods that none of us are aware of. I am aware of methods to do it right now. It's not a hard thing to do.

Here is an article on it. https://www.wired.com/2016/11/yes-donal ... ight-days/

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Sure, y'all, you must all be experts in this. ^_^

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I'm not an expert but according to some I am a know it all asshole. I have spent years working with email servers. When you dealing with the data side it's not really hard at all to do massive quick searches.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

You're no asshole.

And I wouldn't call you a know-it-all...

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Mhmmm.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

comhcinc wrote:
NoGodsEver wrote:I'm not convinced that the fucking FBI wouldn't have methods that none of us are aware of for this kind of shit. I mean, I would hope that they do or they aren't doing their job right.

They don't need methods that none of us are aware of. I am aware of methods to do it right now. It's not a hard thing to do.

Here is an article on it. https://www.wired.com/2016/11/yes-donal ... ight-days/
Nice clear article that explains it, thanks. It also indicated that what I said was somewhat accurate, too.
In fact, according to the former agent who spoke with WIRED, the FBI has tools to quickly identify indicators of classified documents in a large corpus of data. Zdziarski compares those tools to the software that checks for plagiarism, but instead checks for matches or near-matches in text with a collection of classified material. And the FBI could also search for keywords to prioritize reading any new messages about subjects they’d already pursued in their previous investigation of Clinton’s emails.
Not everyone would have access to those heuristics.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I was going to show you a tweet from Snowden but twitter is down right now.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Like I said, I'm sure y'all know what you're talking about.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Lol just saw this. The ending is the best.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Cnutella wrote:The sea be a cruel mistress. One time I caught a 16 footer off Montauk. Had to stick two barrels in him...
Here's something the pit might be able to help me with. I'm sure that in Jaws there's a point where Robert Shaw stops speaking English and just lapses into nonsensical sea-dog gibberish. I've re-watched and re-watched and as far as I can make out the dialog is the following:

"I've seen fingers torn off at the knuckle ... Hol Sin Bones Full O' Them "

Is this postmodernism ? Or can anybody make sense of it ? I've been puzzling over this for twenty five years.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I don't hear the term juggernaut in the UK much, these days.

Oh yeah, what happened to them?!

Also don't see much evidence of the Porn Fairy these days either. :think:

CaptainFluffyBunny

piginthecity wrote:
Here's something the pit might be able to help me with. I'm sure that in Jaws there's a point where Robert Shaw stops speaking English and just lapses into nonsensical sea-dog gibberish. I've re-watched and re-watched and as far as I can make out the dialog is the following:

"I've seen fingers torn off at the knuckle ... Hol Sin Bones Full O' Them "

Is this postmodernism ? Or can anybody make sense of it ? I've been puzzling over this for twenty five years.
Holes and bones, full o' them. Severed hands showing the gaping wounds and exposed bones of fingers ripped or severed off. A lot of commercial fishing equipment will strip you of digits in the blink of an eye, let alone dangerous fishies. At least that was my take. Northeast mariners lapse into dialect indecipherable, especially with drink. Bear might have a better take.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Easy J wrote:They're all "Cokes" here in Texas. A transplanted northerner I worked with years ago was headed to the breakroom & asked if I wanted a "pop". It took me a minute to figure it out & we ended up having a conversation about regional stuff like that.

Around here pickups are "trucks", too. Proper trucks are "diesels" or "diesel trucks".

Some of it may be generational, too. I asked a coworker from Indiana about the coke thing & he said the older folks say "pop" but the younger ones say "coke".

Apropos of nothing: My Stephenville buddy's dad calls spray paint cans "rattle cans". I never heard that until he said it, but my buddy said it was an old man thing he'd heard before.
Once encountered a very old lady who called a lift (elevator) a "hoist car".

CaptainFluffyBunny

paddybrown wrote:
Easy J wrote:They're all "Cokes" here in Texas. A transplanted northerner I worked with years ago was headed to the breakroom & asked if I wanted a "pop". It took me a minute to figure it out & we ended up having a conversation about regional stuff like that.

Around here pickups are "trucks", too. Proper trucks are "diesels" or "diesel trucks".

Some of it may be generational, too. I asked a coworker from Indiana about the coke thing & he said the older folks say "pop" but the younger ones say "coke".

Apropos of nothing: My Stephenville buddy's dad calls spray paint cans "rattle cans". I never heard that until he said it, but my buddy said it was an old man thing he'd heard before.
Once encountered a very old lady who called a lift (elevator) a "hoist car".
Old farm girl. Hoists to get bails up in silos or barn lofts. Now I'm a know-it-all. I've always been an asshole.

feathers

Post by feathers »

JayTeeAitch wrote:What are these called in America? Actually, it probably depends on which part of America:
That's a johndeere, no matter what it says on the coach.

feathers

Post by feathers »

comhcinc wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:
What are these called in America? Actually, it probably depends on which part of America:
There are also called tractors through I have know a few people to call them all "John Deeres" regardless of brand.
Stop ninjering me!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Malky wrote:A lorry is any large road vehicle specifically designed for road haulage. The name can change with use such as tanker, container etc. or shape e.g. luton bodied. As already pointed out a tractor unit with a haulage behind it is normally known as an artic or if really large a juggernaut, multiple freight trailers are know as road trains.
Don't be an idiot. You're talking about a semi. As in semi-trailer.

Glad to clear this up.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Jesus. Just done a reverse catch up.

Pack of galahs. Let me sort this out.

A truck is a <3 ton that anyone can drive.

A ute is a fucking ute.

A tractor is found on a farm.

A lorry is a truck spoken by grand-dad who still thinks it's 1950.

A semi is that scary mother fucker that transports shit between cities and is lit up like a $20 whore at night.

Once again. Glad to be of service.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

A ute (short for utility vehicle) is an Australian (and NZ) term for what would be known as a pick-up truck in the US.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Yeah. I filled out my USA ballot today. Voted. Now I have crippling diarrhea. Coincidence? I think not.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Was crippling diarrhea your first choice?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive's definitions are OK as far as they go - but leave out Railway, Dump and Tonka.

For this reason, I will have no truck with them.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Yeah. I filled out my USA ballot today. Voted. Now I have crippling diarrhea. Coincidence? I think not.
That's just karma fucking with you.

Vote for Trump = take a watery dump

Vote for Clinton = your kecks will have skids on

Vote third party = all day slightly farty

(I think this might be my shit-post pièce de résistance!)