The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Really?

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Really? »

Spike13 wrote:Eight members browsing... C'mon guys post something!

Me commie amd really can't carry the board all night... Where's Phil? We need help!
Okay. Here's Kayla Schierbecker:
...Esperanto came out of the idealistic late 19th century, from a thinker who had previously been attached to another utopian concept of this time—Zionism. Zamenhof, born in 1859, was originally a nationalist who argued that Jews should create a settlement in America. But, frustrated with nascent state-building efforts in Palestine, he began envisioning a larger project that would protect Jews from violence by joining all people together under the beacon of a new neutral language. Publishing his first description of Esperanto in 1887, Zamenhof argued that Jews should adopt a set of humanistic cultural beliefs he dubbed “Hillelism” after the first-century B.C. Rabbi Hillel (he later changed the name to Homaranismo).* These ideals would replace the seemingly outmoded religious traditions that, in his mind, kept the Jews subservient to Russian mainstream culture. Zamenhof hoped an invented tongue—one “unlimitedly rich, flexible, full of every ‘bagatelle’ which gives life to language, beautiful-sounding, and extraordinarily easy”—would connect Jews to the rest of humanity.

It’s perhaps not surprising, given this ambitious and complicated mission, that Zamenhof ran into trouble nearly right off the bat. French intellectuals loved Esperanto—but anti-Semitism was ferocious in the post-Dreyfus era, and when Zamenhof staged a conference in Boulogne, France, in 1906, his local fans concealed his Jewishness from the press. Zamenhof tussled with many of the popularizers of Esperanto, who downplayed the nonlinguistic aspects of his program or made language reforms that he deemed unnecessary. And yet, uncharacteristically for founders of a new nation, linguistic or otherwise, Zamenhof was intent on allowing speakers of Esperanto to make their own choices about what the language should mean, as well as how it should be used: “I am leaving each person to clarify for himself the essence of the idea [of Esperanto], as he wishes,” he said in a 1907 speech.

During the Cold War, Esperanto was still viewed as a potential threat by many right-wing governments and in the McCarthy-era United States.
What do you think of the comparison between Esperanto and atheism and the ur-SJW elements that may or may not have been at work?

You're welcome. :burn:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Me commie amd really can't carry the board all night... Where's Phil? We need help!

I am looking in between playing World of Tanks Blitz. And I am watching the original Wicker Man while I do this.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I'm packing it in, but here is a vid of a nuthatch trying to clean up a birdseed spill in my house and stashing seeds in my furniture and in my mainly nonmoving self. The music is by me. :P

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Spike13 wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:Fuck baseball, and fuck you.
See that's the kind of interaction that is unwelcome on Regreta's wall, but s perfectly at home here!

You die trying and I die laughing.
Baseball and cricket suck my grandad's balls. Fuck 'em.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Spike13 wrote: What was your comment?
[quote=""Matt Cavanaugh"]I think it's terrible that someone wrote about Nikki Massey:
Nikki Massey is Dead. Good.
Nope, that’s all I have to say. Fuck speaking ill of the dead and fuck her.
[/quote]

A subtle reference to Darling Nikki's:
http://the-orbit.net/seriously/2016/09/ ... afly-dead/

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Not quite what you asked for but,

If the world is to have one language one day, it would have to be a new one unrelated to any currently in use.

To choose one currently in use would come loaded with too much arrogance.

Esperanto seemed to be rooted in egalitarian ideals, which I can support.

It appears that some folks had other ideas and tried to use it to their own ends( see FTB A+ etc.)

So it seems to follow a similar script that we are familiar with, something about history repeating itself somewhat.

Granted , just reading what you posted I learned more about Esperanto than I had previously know( I only knew it was an attempt at a common language)Bo's take it for what it's worth.

I think it serves to show the lesson that any worthwhile movement needs to police itself for those that want to hijack it for their own ends.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Zamenhof, born in 1859, was originally a nationalist who argued that Jews should create a settlement in America.
They did. It was called "Westport, Connecticut."

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:

I'm packing it in, but here is a vid of a nuthatch trying to clean up a birdseed spill in my house and stashing seeds in my furniture and in my mainly nonmoving self. The music is by me. :P

Little buddy bird! That is too cool!

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
[quote=""Matt Cavanaugh"]I think it's terrible that someone wrote about Nikki Massey:
http://the-orbit.net/seriously/2016/09/ ... afly-dead/[/quote]
I saw the comment at about a half hour old, so it lasted at least that long ...

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
http://the-orbit.net/seriously/2016/09/ ... afly-dead/[/quote]

Very good....using ones words against them is
Indeed fitting.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Not to sound arrogant but it seems to me that English will be the universal language. It already is the language of business. Most of the space programs are being done in English speaking countries.

Matt Cavanaugh

Re: Legit.

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Didn't Kepler predict this?

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

comhcinc wrote:Not to sound arrogant but it seems to me that English will be the universal language. It already is the language of business. Most of the space programs are being done in English speaking countries.
This is true, because of so much scientific research, the language was expotentionally expanding as new words were needed to describe new things. Which then would serve to cement the language into world culture.

English is the language of commercial aircraft I believe as well.

The problem is when you have people start beleiving that the accendency of their culture or language was pre ordained because of it's inherent superiority, not because of the hard work that was behind it.( see American exceptionalism...or any 19th century tract about why England was the primary power of that century) that is the arrogance to fear. It breeds failure.

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB »

Here's a scene from the best film ever made entirely in Esperanto. Actually, AFAIK, it was the only film ever made entirely in Esperanto. Bonus: a young and lovely pre-Trek Shatner speaking fluent...Esperanto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=accFmyaOj7o

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Spike13 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Not to sound arrogant but it seems to me that English will be the universal language. It already is the language of business. Most of the space programs are being done in English speaking countries.
This is true, because of so much scientific research, the language was expotentionally expanding as new words were needed to describe new things. Which then would serve to cement the language into world culture.

English is the language of commercial aircraft I believe as well.

The problem is when you have people start beleiving that the accendency of their culture or language was pre ordained because of it's inherent superiority, not because of the hard work that was behind it.( see American exceptionalism...or any 19th century tract about why England was the primary power of that century) that is the arrogance to fear. It breeds failure.

The thing is I think it will just happen naturally and of course the language will change over time. I like watching bollywood films, Main Hoon Na being my favorite of all time, and it's interesting to hear how Hindu is evolving and English words are being added. I doubt in 200 years we will much recognize English.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

RebeccaB wrote:Here's a scene from the best film ever made entirely in Esperanto. Actually, AFAIK, it was the only film ever made entirely in Esperanto. Bonus: a young and lovely pre-Trek Shatner speaking fluent...Esperanto.

How come Esperanto sounds suspiciously like Italian?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Hunt wrote:
RebeccaB wrote:Here's a scene from the best film ever made entirely in Esperanto. Actually, AFAIK, it was the only film ever made entirely in Esperanto. Bonus: a young and lovely pre-Trek Shatner speaking fluent...Esperanto.

How come Esperanto sounds suspiciously like Italian?

He's onto us!

http://afflictor.com/wp-content/uploads ... 269468.jpg

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

comhcinc wrote:So Twitter may be sold by the end of the month. Some people looking at it includes Google(Alphabet), Salesforce, and even Disney.

I am rooting for Google. I know a lot of people think they are becoming the big evil but I think they have shown they are pretty committed to free speech and most of the criticism of them in that area are overblown.
The additional benefit is the fact that Google is weak in social department and failed multiple times before. Maybe they will make it die by accident.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

sp0tlight wrote:
comhcinc wrote:So Twitter may be sold by the end of the month. Some people looking at it includes Google(Alphabet), Salesforce, and even Disney.

I am rooting for Google. I know a lot of people think they are becoming the big evil but I think they have shown they are pretty committed to free speech and most of the criticism of them in that area are overblown.
The additional benefit is the fact that Google is weak in social department and failed multiple times before. Maybe they will make it die by accident.

From my understanding Orkut or whatever was a success in South America. Lots of people, myself included, like Google+ it was just too late to game to catch facebook. Facebook did take a lot of their ideas.

I don't understand wanting a speech platform to go away.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Spike13 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:I would say I just don't get these people but it seems like a lot of people are like this. I pretty much gave up on facebook because I had too many people tell me they don't like me disagreeing with shit they post. LIke people don't want conversation they want adulation.
Yes! This! You get it exactly.

Most people do not want interaction conversation debate and learning.not on THEIR page.
I've said this before and it's related to my earlier complaint about blog regulars who live in the comment section: This is pretty much the only type of person left on FTB, and shunning them is probably a bad idea because they're not going to waste time reading something unless they have the opportunity to make it about themselves in the comments.

That's the trouble with groups of egotists: Greta's me-centricity is getting in the way of theirs.

feathers

Post by feathers »

John D wrote:I get creeped out by "Snugglebear". It's because the face shows no emotion. This is the trouble with clowns. You can't read their emotions from their face.
Which is also the reason I have nothing with panda bears.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Hunt wrote:Amazingly, it all went to plan. At first I though I had damaged two of its legs, but they're amazingly flexible.
Here release in my carport. Happy Ending.

http://i.imgur.com/M4D173mm.jpg
Minutes later, something started scratching at the door.

Malky

Post by Malky »

BarnOwl wrote:
Malky wrote:
Question here - who should treat small fibre neuropathy? I have been split between neurosurgery and neurology. Being considered for an neurostimulation implant at mome t as neck is clear but pain in arms and hands persists
If you get the neurostimulator, I think you'll have both a neurosurgeon and a neurologist involved. We have several patients with deep brain stimulators (for Parkinson's, essential tremor, or dystonia) talk with our medical students, and there's a neurosurgeon who places the electrode and device, and a neurologist who programs the settings on the stimulator and sees the patient long-term (settings might need to be adjusted for the best control of the tremor, for example). The DBS treatment is pretty impressive, IMHO - in a patient presentation for the students, they'll turn the stimulator off briefly to show the difference, e.g. writing or drinking from a bottle of water for a patient with essential tremor. There's also research on DBS approaches for treating things like PTSD, and of course there are other ways to effect neuromodulation and therapeutically alter brain circuitry in a less invasive way.

In any case, I hope you get some effective treatment for your neuropathy soon!
Thanks for this and I caan say we both have the same hope. Living on a cocktail of pain killers that don't quite work is no fun.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Lauren Southern is now a transgendered male:

Which officially makes me a homosexual. Cause I would do her.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

MacGruberKnows wrote:Lauren Southern is now a transgendered male:

Which officially makes me a homosexual. Cause I would do her.
Uhh, I mean I would do him.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I notice that this "Bill Clinton is a rapist" trope is taking off with Trump fans and what is loosely called the alt-right. It made me wonder what the SJWs and third wave feminists think of this. They eagerly promoted the concept that any sort of sexual indiscretion is "rape", so they can hardly complain when their ideological enemies use the term to attack Hillary, via attacking Bill. I would imagine most of them (SJWs) would support Hillary, even if they consider her the lesser of two evils.

That is the danger when SJWs extend the definition and meaning of labels they want to throw around. Soon enough, you can throw it right back at them. For example, the term "fascist" is increasingly used towards people on the left, even though the term once had a distinct political meaning.
Bill Clinton is (probably) a rapist. Read Hitchens' book.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:I notice that this "Bill Clinton is a rapist" trope is taking off with Trump fans and what is loosely called the alt-right. It made me wonder what the SJWs and third wave feminists think of this. They eagerly promoted the concept that any sort of sexual indiscretion is "rape", so they can hardly complain when their ideological enemies use the term to attack Hillary, via attacking Bill. I would imagine most of them (SJWs) would support Hillary, even if they consider her the lesser of two evils.

That is the danger when SJWs extend the definition and meaning of labels they want to throw around. Soon enough, you can throw it right back at them. For example, the term "fascist" is increasingly used towards people on the left, even though the term once had a distinct political meaning.
Bill Clinton is (probably) a rapist. Read Hitchens' book.
If Bill Clinton isn't a rapist he is as close as you can legally get to one.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I have read Juanita Brodderick's case several times and if there was a "perfect victim" who behaved how you would logically expect someone to behave after being raped, she was probably it.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Spike13 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

I was planning on going with the Boogie Man for a Halloween theme but yeah original early Doink could be creepy.
Not wrestling related, but Captain Spalding is one hell of a creepy clown.

The only clowns I like are Homey and Krusty
I find clowns that aren't designed to be scary more scary.

Red eyes, rotting teeth, etc. seem to be missing the point that it's the clown's lack of expression that makes them creepy.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

sp0tlight wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:
sp0tlight wrote:I'm watching Dark Shadows and I pity, this cast deserves a better movie.
You want a disappointing movie with someone from Dark Shadows ... try to watch The 5th Wave. I dare you.
I'm a huge Chloë Grace Moretz fan since Kick-Ass… but I think I'll pass on that one.
She's the reason we actually enjoyed the Carrie remake. She's great.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

You can't flush a clown down the plug hole, and if you try to lift it out of the bath and throw it out of the window you almost inevitably damage some of its legs.

Life is cruel.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Where's Phil?!? It was fucking 5:30am! I woke up at 6.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Probably because compared to other languages, English is relatively easy. In everyday use at least.

feathers

Post by feathers »

I was wondering who Emmett Kelly was.
Kelly began his career as a trapeze artist. By 1923, Emmett Kelly was working his trapeze act with John Robinson's circus when he met and married Eva Moore, another circus trapeze artist.
...married while hanging from a trapeze? Dammit Phil, you've missed an opportunity here!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I'd say marriage in and of itself is dangerous enough as it is. Maybe we'll celebrate our anniversary on a trampoline...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Probably because compared to other languages, English is relatively easy. In everyday use at least.
I don't know if it's easier to learn - but it's certainly more prevalent and is open source.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:I doubt it is viral marketing. Hysteria like this really isn't uncommon.

Why make a film of It anyway? The book is huge.
And boring.

feathers

Post by feathers »

sp0tlight wrote:http://i.imgur.com/e8FmSvL.png

Smoke weed, turn black, open third eye. I love the intersection of woo and black supremacy.
So blacks don't smoke weed, then. Why pay if you're already doped by yourself.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Really? wrote:Pitchstone Press, where all of the finest SJW atheists go to publish their work, will soon publish the new book by Aron Ra. If you take a look at the first sentence of the first chapter, I think you'll agree that we have an idea about the quality of the volume as a whole.

https://www.amazon.com/Foundational-Fal ... 1634310780
I suppose you mean the Preface, not the first chapter.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
I always thought it was a difficult language to learn because of its irregularities. Even native speakers like Steers have problems with it.

We should all speak Hawaiian. I'm told it has the fewest phonemes.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Shatterface wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
I always thought it was a difficult language to learn because of its irregularities. Even native speakers like Steers have problems with it.

I remember the irregular verbs being the bane of students when I started learning English in school. Turns out it comes quite quickly when you practice on a day-to-day basis.

I myself have masterated the language.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

feathers wrote:
sp0tlight wrote:http://i.imgur.com/e8FmSvL.png

Smoke weed, turn black, open third eye. I love the intersection of woo and black supremacy.
So blacks don't smoke weed, then. Why pay if you're already doped by yourself.
The Locked Brain has a craving for fried chicken and watermelon.

#racistjoke

Oh come on, relax, it's just a joke.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

feathers wrote:
Hunt wrote:Amazingly, it all went to plan. At first I though I had damaged two of its legs, but they're amazingly flexible.
Here release in my carport. Happy Ending.

http://i.imgur.com/M4D173mm.jpg
Minutes later, something started scratching at the door.
That's why I always answer my door with Raid Spider Killer.

If you love something, let it go. If it's a spider and it comes back, kill it.

feathers

Post by feathers »

They're already on their way down? That lasted all of six months... (actually even less as the descent started in september).

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Shatterface wrote:
Bad call. Fewer phonemes and letter means longer, tongue twisting words. I live off Kalaniana'ole Ave. and it's an average length Hawaiian word. A radio DJ here once played U2 "where the streets have no name" and said that the streets have names, you just can't pronounce them. Word.

feathers

Re: Legit.

Post by feathers »

feathers

Post by feathers »

I hope Disney gets it, so they can turn it into a family-friendly cuddlefest after which it goes the Yahoo way.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Spike13 wrote:Where's Tribble?
We could post-cast the game.

Was watching the game. Bullshit call on Span 'caught stealing.' It was an embarrassment on the field and in the replay booth. Beat the tag by 6 inches and never lost contact with the bag. In the end, it didn't matter though and the Legend of Madison Bumgarner continues.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote: ...

I always thought it was a difficult language to learn because of its irregularities.

Switching to a high fiber diet should sort you out.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Steersman wrote:Not to be looking a gift horse in the mouth - and all that - but:
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/slymepit.com
Firstly, the Pit does not advertise in any way and has no pretence whatsoever. Arguably, falling reader numbers may be a sign of Mission Complete.

Secondly, there's not enough historical data to see where this seemingly dramatic drop comes from, or how high it's been.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

Pedantic linguistic explanation: there's no such thing as an "easy" or "hard" language. Each language has it phonological, syntactical, semantic and pragmatic features which balance out distinctiveness (how easy it is to tell apart two different units of meaning) clarity (how easy it is to correctly identify a unit of meaning) flow (how quickly you can articulate a unit of meaning) and compactness (how long does it take to carry across a certain meaning). When compared to an average of word languages, English rates medium-high on distinctiveness, medium-low on clarity, medium-low on flow and medium on compactness. Chinese, on the other hand, rates medium-high on distinctiveness, low on clarity, medium-high on flow and medium-high on compactness. Neither one is objectively "easier".

Of course there's a further element to take into account: language similarity. English is an Indo-European language with an indo-european grammar and syntax (tenses, the singular/plural divide, pronouns, the Subject-Verb-Object order) and its vocabulary is based on Germanic language with many words of Norman-French and Latin origin (due to the Norman invasion and the presence of the influences of Christianity and of the Latin-based European university system).

It stands to reason that people who speak other indo-european languages, especially if they're speakers of Germanic (German, Dutch, Danish Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, etc.) or Romance languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, etc.) find English relatively easy to learn when compared to speakers of a completely unrelated language (like Chinese).

European colonization has spread out Germanic and Romance languages to the point where the entirety of the Americas, the vast majority of countries in Oceania, a majority of countries in Africa and a relatively large number of countries in Asia have an Indo-European (predominantly a Romance or Germanic or to a lesser extent Slavic) language among their official languages (see here.

The only non-European areas which don't have a colonial language among their official languages are the Muslim world, China, Japan, the Koreas and the Asian South-East (where old colonial languages still play an unofficial role). Only Arabic is a non-European colonial language which has spread out to independent countries where it wasn't the native language of the majority of the population, while Han Chinese has colonized areas which are now parts of the Republic of China.

English is the language of the most economically and militarily powerful and most culturally productive of all former colonial countries. English is now the language of science, of aviation, of the sea, of international business, of a majority of international pop culture (movies, tv series, etc.), of a large part of the Internet. There're plenty of resources for learning English everywhere, and there are many incentives for non-native speakers to do so.

The importance of English as the international language of choice isn't going to fade anytime soon. Spanish, Arabic and to a lesser extent French, Portuguese and Russian are going to be important regional languages, but they don't have enough of a presence in institutions or pop culture to significantly threaten the status of English as the lingua franca of the world, at least in for the near future. The many different varieties of Chinese aren't likely going to spread a lot father from China, Singapore and Malaysia. German is going to be a relatively important language in some areas of Europe.

All other languages are unlikely to acquire any significant international role.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

The pit can't declare 'Mission Accomplished' until all the goals set out in the charter have been met.

This has been discussed no end at the regular weekly meetings on the back channel.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think that Kirbmarc just doxed himself as Agaton Sax

feathers

Post by feathers »

The Smithsonian has a nice essay on the illustrious descent of the Clown from king's jester to horror monster:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cult ... 16/?no-ist

Couch

Post by Couch »

comhcinc wrote:
That was an exceptionally satisfying watch.

LindyBeige may have had one of our very own Pitsters in mind when alluding, in his opening, to the statistical improbability of their being a female in existence sufficiently obsessed with tanks to know the minutiae of late model Sherman specifications. :?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

In the UK, there is a developing story about a UKIP MEP (Stephen Woolf), who collapsed and was taken to hospital after, apparently, he was "punched" by a fellow UKIP member.

Now, I hope he is OK, and whatnot, but get this, there are reports that the man who punched him was called Mike HOOKEM. And he is UKIP's party DEFENCE spokesman.

LOL.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Shatterface wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

It's an interesting problem, why English. I think it's that, even though all those minutiae exist, they don't really matter much to meaning, and people can understand each other well enough in practical matters with relatively broken English. Somehow English is more forgiving of error, and basic, day to day functional communication can be had without much attention to formal correctness.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

CommanderTuvok wrote:In the UK, there is a developing story about a UKIP MEP (Stephen Woolf), who collapsed and was taken to hospital after, apparently, he was "punched" by a fellow UKIP member.

Now, I hope he is OK, and whatnot, but get this, there are reports that the man who punched him was called Mike HOOKEM. And he is UKIP's party DEFENCE spokesman.

LOL.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Shatterface wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

I will take your word for it. My biggest difficulty in learning English was in the pronunciations. Apparently I have the most awful accent as well.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Couch wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
That was an exceptionally satisfying watch.

LindyBeige may have had one of our very own Pitsters in mind when alluding, in his opening, to the statistical improbability of their being a female in existence sufficiently obsessed with tanks to know the minutiae of late model Sherman specifications. :?
Oh?

I seem to recall that the 'Pit seems to have at least one person of the femal persuasion, that I would not be the slightest bit surprised if it turns out she could tell us that right off the top of her head.

Looks at Vicki.

I would be afraid to ask actually. There seems to be more than one tank nerd here and when they get going they do not seem to know when to stop.

Really the last thing I do want to know is all the technical details of the Sherman. I have inadvertantly learned far more than I care to already.