The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Badger3k

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Badger3k »

Vridar has a post up, with this hilarious minor note:
Other intellectuals one is not likely to associate with “the fantastic” or “the incredible” who have spoken positively of the Christ Myth arguments include Michel Onfray, Paul Hopper, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, PZ Myers, Michael Martin . . . (See Who’s Who for details and others)
(bolding mine)

PZ...an intellectual... :lol:

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Spike13 wrote:Ok , a quick and dirty Pyt poll:

Who gets creeped out by clowns? Me, Phil, who else?

Who likes/tolerates clowns?
I remember having to spend a whole day at school on my own once, because the rest of the class went to the circus and I was too scared of clowns to go.

Thinking about it now, these days my school would probably have bowed down to my feelz and done something else. (Is coulorophobiaphobia a thing?)

I didn't set foot in McDonald's till I was 11 either.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

If someone astrally pwns your ass, do your third eye get blacked? Where do you buy prescription glasses for a near-sighted third eye?

Man, I'm so lost.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

paddybrown wrote:I think the main reason people find clowns creepy or scary is that these days there are virtually no circuses, so most people only associate them with horror films.
I associate clowns with FTB and The Orbit. But that's probably just me.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote:disco music made me gay
Who let the dog back in?

Anyway how has work been going - or are you too exhausted for even a paragraph?

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Badger3k wrote:Vridar has a post up, with this hilarious minor note:
Other intellectuals one is not likely to associate with “the fantastic” or “the incredible” who have spoken positively of the Christ Myth arguments include Michel Onfray, Paul Hopper, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, PZ Myers, Michael Martin . . . (See Who’s Who for details and others)
(bolding mine)

PZ...an intellectual... :lol:

Maybe to the severely brain damaged...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:yes, I'm an evil shit-stirrer:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularspe ... 2934945858
I like that expression - it seems more honest and to the point than troll.

Which is well over-used by now.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Shatterface wrote:They came for the clowns but I said nothing because I was not a clown

Then they came for the jugglers and I said nothing because I was not a juggler.

Finally they came for the mimes and I said nothing because I was a mime.
Brilliant!

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Supernatural had a few episodes dealing with Sam's fear of clowns.

At least he got to kill them.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:If the clown thing is viral marketing, it's not terribly good. The clowns are everywhere, but absolutely nobody has actually seen one. My guess is somebody should check the various chans...this has the smell of troll about it.
Some real ones have popped up in creepy costumes nabbed by the police, but not really doing anything dangerous.

The viral nature of the creepy clown thing alone encourages *some* people to actually do it. I agree that the chans are probably helping to replicate this. As to it's start, who knows. Creepy chan chat either, or someone goofing around in a clown costume.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Spike13 wrote:Supernatural had a few episodes dealing with Sam's fear of clowns.

At least he got to kill them.
Also, Seeley Booth in Bones is afraid of clowns. He had to go into therapy under Stephen Fry when he shot up a mechanical clown.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

It would be amusing if it turns out these clown sightings are really Slenderman in Halloween costume.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Couls also be this guy:
viewtopic.php?p=188114#p188114

free thoughtpolice

Indiana[edit]
These sightings first began in the southern tip of the state and in the last couple weeks there have been attempts by individuals, mainly college students, to "hunt" these clowns as sightings continue to grow in their perspective campuses and towns. There has only been one major injury involving these sightings. A "clown" in Fort Wayne was shot in the head by a bystander that this individual was trying to scare. This clown was rushed to the local hospital in critical condition. There have not been any further updates on the condition of this person. The known campuses that have reported clown sightings are Purdue University, Indiana University, and Indiana State University. Many towns and cities have also had sightings including Brazil, Terre Haute, Shelbyville, and suburbs of Indianapolis.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

MarcusAu wrote:
Service Dog wrote:disco music made me gay
Who let the dog back in?

Anyway how has work been going - or are you too exhausted for even a paragraph?
That stint of work is over, but they've rehired me for Oct 11 thru 22, same deal... 12 hour shifts/no days off.

However, due to "Cherry", the undergrad, I am still too exhausted for even a paragraph.

https://youtu.be/Ele_dj3ud38

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Tigzy wrote:My third eye opened up to the profound essence of the universe; the fundamental, ultimate truth of all things. Fearful that I might forget this supreme wisdom, I wrote it down. In the cold sober light of the following morning, I found that I had written, 'words arent like what they mean'.
OK. Who brought up Sam Harris again?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Clowns are why Trump needs to build a wall.

http://cdnstatic.visualizeus.com/thumbs ... 415d_h.jpg

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Nothing sinister or scary about clowns, I mean look at this friendly guy :twisted:

http://murderpedia.org/male.G/images/g/gacy/gacy312.jpg

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

sp0tlight wrote:http://i.imgur.com/e8FmSvL.png

Smoke weed, turn black, open third eye. I love the intersection of woo and black supremacy.
Ah, that explains why I always talk in a Jamaican accent when I'm baked.

(I actually do, for some reason)

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Oglebart wrote:Nothing sinister or scary about clowns, I mean look at this friendly guy :twisted:

http://murderpedia.org/male.G/images/g/gacy/gacy312.jpg
Isn't he the nice man who volunteered the crawl space under his house as an unofficial gay cemetery?

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Picked this up over at Slate Star Codex. The DOJ has ruled Berkley's free online courses are in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, as deaf people cannot hear the videos. Hiring someone to interpret in ASL or create transcripts is too costly, so they're just going to get rid of the free courses. This is what progress looks like, ladies and gentlemen.

http://news.berkeley.edu/2016/09/13/a-s ... ssibility/

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Søren Lilholt wrote:Ah, that explains why I always talk in a Jamaican accent when I'm baked.

https://media.giphy.com/media/svnapMq2i7gYg/giphy.gif

John D

Post by John D »

jet_lagg wrote:Picked this up over at Slate Star Codex. The DOJ has ruled Berkley's free online courses are in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, as deaf people cannot hear the videos. Hiring someone to interpret in ASL or create transcripts is too costly, so they're just going to get rid of the free courses. This is what progress looks like, ladies and gentlemen.

The law of perverse outcomes!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Badger3k wrote:

Must have been removed. All I get is "0 comments"
Some people are so touchy!

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Badger3k wrote:

Must have been removed. All I get is "0 comments"
Some people are so touchy!
What was your comment?

John D

Post by John D »

Uh Oh... clown masked robbers in the D.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /91603322/

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

sp0tlight wrote:
Søren Lilholt wrote:Ah, that explains why I always talk in a Jamaican accent when I'm baked.

https://media.giphy.com/media/svnapMq2i7gYg/giphy.gif
Pretty much.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

John D wrote:Uh Oh... clown masked robbers in the D.

He should have worn the "Dallas" payday mask

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Spike13 wrote:
John D wrote:Uh Oh... clown masked robbers in the D.

He should have worn the "Dallas" payday mask
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 68a1f6.jpg

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Really?

Post by Really? »

Pitchstone Press, where all of the finest SJW atheists go to publish their work, will soon publish the new book by Aron Ra. If you take a look at the first sentence of the first chapter, I think you'll agree that we have an idea about the quality of the volume as a whole.

https://www.amazon.com/Foundational-Fal ... 1634310780

free thoughtpolice

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Campus craziness: "I was reported for gender misconduct 4 (jokingly) calling myself handsome in (language) class" (h/t Skept Tickle):

Have a read. It's a hilarious and yet scary tale about a young man being reported to the "Gender-Based Misconduct Office" for calling himself handsome in a Chinese class.

Here's the most worrying part:
We are doing the wrong thing and going after the wrong people in the name of fairness and justice, I told her. By the end of our conversation, she told me: “Even if I agree with you, I obviously couldn’t say anything…” I had the impression that she was too scared to challenge Columbia’s extreme politically correct culture.
Universities have gone mad. PC culture has degenerated into raw insanity not unlike the Atheism Plus forum. And nobody seems to be willing to challenge the madness.
I would like to see Title IX tested to its legal limits. What we need is a feminist to sue a university because its science education creates a hostile learning environment for women. How would she prove that? Look at the gender disparity in the classes. Don't they use Newton's equation for gravity taken from that rape manual Principia Mathmatica? Do they use the gendered equation for special relativity? Do the classes rely on the patriarchal scientific method, or do they allow for womyn's ways of knowing?
I really want to see this happen. We need a willing person(preferably a female university student) to do it. C'mon Abbie. What do you say? :D
How is she going to manage to keep a straight face?

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

dick wrote:"This book demonstrates once again that Aron Ra is a master of eloquence, and of cutting to the chase with precision. This is an enjoyable read even for the well informed. But we often forget how embarrassingly uninformed biblical literalists are. This delightfully written takedown will educate and embarrass them all over again." — Richard Carrier, Ph.D., author, On the Historicity of Jesus
LOL, he might be persona non grata, but an endorsement is an endorsement.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

When I was dating a young, "promising poet" I attended few galas and banquets for winners of this and that poetry award, leaving aside the fact that they were the most terrible people I've ever met (and I was football hooligan in my youth), it was an "industry" based on "giving back to the community". Every poet who managed to squeeze some shitty 20-page tome of scribbles and be certain it will be reviewed and prised but some other author on a cusps on releasing his on her tome. The only people reading it was also writing it.

A closed system, if you will.

Nice to see it's alive and well in our circles.

Really?

Post by Really? »

sp0tlight wrote:When I was dating a young, "promising poet" I attended few galas and banquets for winners of this and that poetry award, leaving aside the fact that they were the most terrible people I've ever met (and I was football hooligan in my youth), it was an "industry" based on "giving back to the community". Every poet who managed to squeeze some shitty 20-page tome of scribbles and be certain it will be reviewed and prised but some other author on a cusps on releasing his on her tome. The only people reading it was also writing it.

A closed system, if you will.

Nice to see it's alive and well in our circles.
Books are far too important to entrust to a wide readership. We want the right people reading this work, not as many as possible.

Billie from Ockham

jet_lagg wrote:Picked this up over at Slate Star Codex. The DOJ has ruled Berkley's free online courses are in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, as deaf people cannot hear the videos. Hiring someone to interpret in ASL or create transcripts is too costly, so they're just going to get rid of the free courses. This is what progress looks like, ladies and gentlemen.

Jesus Fucking Christ on a stick. I can't wait to be told that my textbook violates the ADA both because test-reading programs can't do equations or plots of data and because stupid people can't understand stats, no matter how well-written the text might be.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Jesus Fucking Christ on a stick. I can't wait to be told that my textbook violates the ADA both because test-reading programs can't do equations or plots of data and because stupid people can't understand stats, no matter how well-written the text might be.
This is "well intentions going awry", I understand the need of subtitles in material and so on. But removing the already existing material is bonkers, you'd do better throwing it to people and letting them submit .srt or whatever.

It's like nobody can do damage assessment:

1. thing stay the same, deaf and hard of hearing people won't benefit
2. it gets removed, nobody benefits

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Billie from Ockham wrote:

Jesus Fucking Christ on a stick. I can't wait to be told that my textbook violates the ADA both because test-reading programs can't do equations or plots of data and because stupid people can't understand stats, no matter how well-written the text might be.
Presumably they need to be available in braille?

On a related note, I think I've cracked the problem of police on black violence in America. All we need is a lottery for white males and a wall to line them up against. Voila. Racial shooting discrepancy gone!

Billie from Ockham

The current crop of activist assholes at the Depts of Ed and Justice can't be sent home soon enough. Problem is, Clinton would probably keep them all, if not hire people who are worse. I'm not going to vote for Trump, but this kind of shit makes it very difficult to not "waste" my vote on the guy who can't find Syria on a map or the chick who wants us to stop eating mean. Fuck. Die. Adam Ant's word.

Billie from Ockham

I'm not sure what the Viennese Jew with a cigar would say about writing "mean" for "meat" and I really don't care.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

I'm watching Dark Shadows and I pity, this cast deserves a better movie.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I really thought you were making some reference to animal cruelty.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I notice that this "Bill Clinton is a rapist" trope is taking off with Trump fans and what is loosely called the alt-right. It made me wonder what the SJWs and third wave feminists think of this. They eagerly promoted the concept that any sort of sexual indiscretion is "rape", so they can hardly complain when their ideological enemies use the term to attack Hillary, via attacking Bill. I would imagine most of them (SJWs) would support Hillary, even if they consider her the lesser of two evils.

That is the danger when SJWs extend the definition and meaning of labels they want to throw around. Soon enough, you can throw it right back at them. For example, the term "fascist" is increasingly used towards people on the left, even though the term once had a distinct political meaning.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Oldie, slight return.

http://imgur.com/BRkizoV.jpg

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Billie from Ockham wrote:The current crop of activist assholes at the Depts of Ed and Justice can't be sent home soon enough. Problem is, Clinton would probably keep them all, if not hire people who are worse. I'm not going to vote for Trump, but this kind of shit makes it very difficult to not "waste" my vote on the guy who can't find Syria on a map or the chick who wants us to stop eating mean. Fuck. Die. Adam Ant's word.
That is pretty much my primary deciding factor on my decision to swing from Democrat to Republican. If I want them out, then I have to change who is president.

Billie from Ockham

sp0tlight wrote:I'm watching Dark Shadows and I pity, this cast deserves a better movie.
You want a disappointing movie with someone from Dark Shadows ... try to watch The 5th Wave. I dare you.

Really?

Post by Really? »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I notice that this "Bill Clinton is a rapist" trope is taking off with Trump fans and what is loosely called the alt-right. It made me wonder what the SJWs and third wave feminists think of this. They eagerly promoted the concept that any sort of sexual indiscretion is "rape", so they can hardly complain when their ideological enemies use the term to attack Hillary, via attacking Bill. I would imagine most of them (SJWs) would support Hillary, even if they consider her the lesser of two evils.

That is the danger when SJWs extend the definition and meaning of labels they want to throw around. Soon enough, you can throw it right back at them. For example, the term "fascist" is increasingly used towards people on the left, even though the term once had a distinct political meaning.
Ironically, most of those on the left are calling Juanita Broaddrick and the other women filthy liars. Bill using Monica's vagina as his personal humidor while in the Oval Office is simply "consensual sex" and not "workplace sexual harassment."

Billie from Ockham

deLurch wrote:That is pretty much my primary deciding factor on my decision to swing from Democrat to Republican. If I want them out, then I have to change who is president.
Yep. But the idea of letting Trump fill Scalia's spot on SCOTUS is terrifying and has even longer-term consequences. As fucked up as this may sound, I'd be more likely to stay home or vote for Trump if The Turtle and Grassley would let Garland be confirmed.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

deLurch wrote:That is pretty much my primary deciding factor on my decision to swing from Democrat to Republican. If I want them out, then I have to change who is president.
Yep. But the idea of letting Trump fill Scalia's spot on SCOTUS is terrifying and has even longer-term consequences. As fucked up as this may sound, I'd be more likely to stay home or vote for Trump if The Turtle and Grassley would let Garland be confirmed.
Trump comes off as rather liberal for a "Republican." My greater concern would be that Trump would let the Republicans select the replacement for him.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I suspect there is eventually going to be [redacted].

You might argue that it has already happened as in the 2016 shooting of Dallas police officers with some justification I suppose.

My track record on predictions? Not that great. I did predict the Anders Breivik incident but I not only got the country of origin wrong I also got the reason(s) wrong.

I was correct about [redacted], right country but the wrong region. Not only that I have been wrong about the scale as well, such as what is ongoing in [redacted] and [redacted] and occasionally [redacted] for example.

Whatever man. Fuck (Die Antwoord)

Billie from Ockham

deLurch wrote:Trump comes off as rather liberal for a "Republican." My greater concern would be that Trump would let the Republicans select the replacement for him.
He's almost random because he hadn't thought through even half of what he'd be responsible for, so it's pretty much guaranteed that some of the shit that he says isn't "Republican." With that said, I have something of the same worry WRT to him letting others tell him whom to nominate, especially after his choice of Pence. The only thing worse would be choosing on his own, which could turn out to be some complete idiot like Christie. The only thing worse than Christie as AG would be Christie on SCOTUS. Try to imagine that.

free thoughtpolice

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Malky wrote:
Question here - who should treat small fibre neuropathy? I have been split between neurosurgery and neurology. Being considered for an neurostimulation implant at mome t as neck is clear but pain in arms and hands persists
If you get the neurostimulator, I think you'll have both a neurosurgeon and a neurologist involved. We have several patients with deep brain stimulators (for Parkinson's, essential tremor, or dystonia) talk with our medical students, and there's a neurosurgeon who places the electrode and device, and a neurologist who programs the settings on the stimulator and sees the patient long-term (settings might need to be adjusted for the best control of the tremor, for example). The DBS treatment is pretty impressive, IMHO - in a patient presentation for the students, they'll turn the stimulator off briefly to show the difference, e.g. writing or drinking from a bottle of water for a patient with essential tremor. There's also research on DBS approaches for treating things like PTSD, and of course there are other ways to effect neuromodulation and therapeutically alter brain circuitry in a less invasive way.

In any case, I hope you get some effective treatment for your neuropathy soon!

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

sp0tlight wrote:I'm watching Dark Shadows and I pity, this cast deserves a better movie.
Nope. They get exactly what the deserve to continue to support Burton. He hasn't made a good film in a decade. He is all style and no substance.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

You want a disappointing movie with someone from Dark Shadows ... try to watch The 5th Wave. I dare you.
I'm a huge Chloë Grace Moretz fan since Kick-Ass… but I think I'll pass on that one.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

DSM 5 on Narcissistic Personality Disorder reads like Trump's annual performance review:
1. Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
2. Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
3. Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
4. Needing constant admiration from others
5. Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
6. Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
7. Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
8. Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them
9. Pompous and arrogant demeanor
Just sayin'.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

comhcinc wrote:
Nope. They get exactly what the deserve to continue to support Burton. He hasn't made a good film in a decade. He is all style and no substance.
Sadly, you're completely right. I was just clicking around Netfilx and it was recommended to me, not having anything better to do I put it on. Man, people joke about Burtonesque movies but this is like those jokes, 100% correct. Can someone give Depp a role that matches Fear & Loathing? It pains me that he constantly plays the same character. Why would you put Christopher Lee in a cameo? Shame, shame.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »