The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Shatterface

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Shatterface »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Søren Lilholt wrote: Erm...how can put this delicately?

YOU'RE WHITE YOURSELF, YOU FUCKING DELUDED FRUITLOOP!! GET A FUCKING GRIP, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!

That the FtB horde is facilitating this delusion is astonishing. It reminds me of that martial arts leader who, through sheer group delusion, convinced himself he could throw people over with the power of his mind. Does this clown really believe herself? Do FTB?

What in the world is going on here? This is unprecedented insanity.
Caine isn't even the worst case of enabling a delusion over at FTB. They've had We Are Plethora, who was probably a troll but could post about their multiple personalities without anyone batting an eye. They've had Ogvorbis, who received sympathy and offers to babysit their children despite confessing to being a child rapist who struggled to "keep his monster inside".

Moreover I'm not even sure that most of them know that Caine isn't a "PoC". The SJW paradigm is to listen and believe, so I think that most of them accept what she tells about herself now and have forgotten or never read her previous posts where she described herself. The few who remember probably think that she was simply hiding from racism in the past and now she's come out as a "First Nation person".
I wonder if her family and friends (?) in meatspace are even aware that Ginge Minge spends a good bulk of her time pretending to be whitey-hating Big Chief Cainetoad online. Does her partner even know? I would bet any money he doesn't (or at least, not fully) meaning that she in effect leads some bizarre double life. How does she compartmentalize her two personas?

It's morbidly fascinating.

He knows. It was he who introduced to Pocahontas cosplay.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I have no two people with fibromyalgia. One was a very sweet loving person who did everything they could even with the illness. The other was a lazy bitch. She was a just a bitch before the illness.

John I appreciate what you are saying. I feel the same thing with people just make blanket statements about autism.

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
John D wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
DrogoNo.jpg
While you my enjoy just posting "NO" you may want to consider that newly identified diseases in humans might also be found in animals. Obviously, fibro is newly identified and not well understood. It could be that applying a fibro diagnoses to animals is not a good idea once more is known. I guess I didn't know you were so informed on the topic that you could simply make a declaration.

So... if you are so smart about fibro... why don't you give my wife a treatment plan?

Here is an article about equine fibro. You can shove it up your ass if you like.

http://www.vetcontact.com/en/art.php?a=694
tl;dr: people have fibromyalgia; horses might, too. Worthless article empty of real content.

Fibromyalgia is a syndrome, and syndromes are useful for describing symptoms -- no more, no less. The causes are unknown. It's kinda hard to develop a treatment plan when etiology is a black box.

The causes of, & treatments for, the various types of equine lameness, however, are fully understood. And yes, I do know a little about ailments in horses. Whoever told you lameness in horses is caused by fibromyalgia is blowing smoke up your ass.

And hey, lighten up. Nobody's calling your wife crazy (aside from for marrying you.)
Okay - You are right in that there are lots of causes for what is generally referred to as "lameness" in horses. We do not really disagree on much.... I am just a bitch today.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Shatterface wrote:
He knows. It was he who introduced to Pocahontas cosplay.
:think: I hadn't heard that. From reading Caine he is supportive of her, even camping at the protest with her. Could be he is transindian too, maybe just going along to save his scalp.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

John D wrote: To start I will discuss fibromyalgia. My wife has it. It's a real thing. Your dismissing it as a non medical condition shows your ignorance. The reason we now have a disease call fibromyalgia is that medical researchers have started to figure it out. In prior generations people with fibro were just called lazy and they were vilified. I guess you like that method best. Good for you. I am happy your don't know someone who has this disease... well... maybe you do and you just call them lazy. On a side note.... it is thought that lots of mammals get fibromyalgia. It is a condition referred to a "lameness" in horses. The poor horses have so much pain they would rather be beaten than have to move. Do some reading if your really care to.
I did consider you when including fibromyalgia in that list, not wanting to cause you upset. But honesty won out. Previously someone asked about fibromyalgia and I wrote:
Gender might not be a social construct, but illness sometimes is. If you want to get a good feel of how such patients have (always) been with us, under various labels according to society's understanding of symptoms and illness, you could do worse than to read Edward Shorter "From Paralysis to Fatigue" (here on Amazon, and be sure to see how the reviews polarise into those who have the diseases mentioned and those who don't). Apparently, to point out that such symptom constellations have been labelled otherwise (and in ways that seem laughable to us - 'green sickness'?) in the past, is somehow denying the validity or dignity of the present day sufferers. In fact, it is an attempt to understand something that has defied scientific investigation, at least, as far as showing it to be a physical disorder is concerned. Yes, there are fMRI changes in the brains of CFS/ME/FM patients, and they resemble those of chronic pain patients. In other words they are an effect rather than a cause. Yes, non-restorative sleep leads reliably to diffuse muscle pain and tenderness at the trigger points (currently acquired by fibromyalgics as their property, but also very susceptible to explanation in terms of biomechanics and the fact that evolution hasn't caught up with the change to bipedality).

My view? These people are sick. Ill. Sometimes disabled. I don't discriminate between mental and physical disorders in those terms - both are equally valid ways of being ill. Having said that, and paid due respect to the reality of their illness, I have to say also that the illness concerned seems to be psychosomatic - that is, the mind is causing bodily symptoms and illness, or at least to commonly include a psychosomatic component. If we are to make such people well again, we need to understand the truth of the genesis of their condition, but if the condition itself is either sometimes, or to some degree, a way of adopting the sick role and avoiding some uncomfortable aspects of life it is likely that there will be resistance against our attempts to relieve it or provide an accurate explanation for it. And this is what we find. The only proven interventions that are easily provided - an exercise program and tricyclic antidepressants (in tiny doses they don't work as anti-depressants but simply change sleep architecture to provide more stage IV sleep, where muscles are flaccid and probably repair the minor injuries incurred each day, relieving the muscular aching characterising non-restorative sleep. SSRI's are less good, but also used) - are often refused or tried briefly and discarded. Any exploration of underlying psychological issues is seen as an attempt to deny the reality of the symptoms and results in an alienated patient unless undertaken with great delicacy. If we could get people to stand back from themselves and see the problem as one where they could say "my brain and my body have conspired to produce an illness that is a not very useful way of dealing with life; how shall I work to reverse this?" we would get somewhere.
So let me be clear with you, John. I am glad to see you stick up for your missus, but you don't have to do so with me. I agree she's ill, and that her symptoms are real. What no one agrees on is the pathogenesis, and nobody has definitive evidence. I know lots of people with it, as patients, and I hope I have treated them kindly. The participants in the conversation I alluded to have, between us, 79 years of experience in medical practice, so we have had ample opportunity to see lots of such patients. Let us hope the whole thing is elucidated soon.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Brive1987 wrote:Check you stocking. ;)
Thanks. Yeah. Like they say, Ginger's have no soul. Least that one anyway...

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

paddybrown wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:Most will (or should) now be familiar with the 'Questions for Anti-SJWs' youtube video and it's multiple long form replies.

Gary Edwards - provides the most succinct reply I've seen yet (playing against type for once).

I'm still waiting to hear his Alan Moore impression though.
That was good.

Warren Ellis does a good Alan Moore impression.

Yes it is good and I think he nails the thing on the head.
I don't know much about the guy but my first thought was 'sounds like he's from Northampton'.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Tribble wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Check you stocking. ;)
Thanks. Yeah. Like they say, Ginger's have no soul. Least that one anyway...
Oh the sights and victories these eyes have seen.

http://i.imgur.com/FbAUGJs.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... hJBJvvT6bw

John D

Post by John D »

screwtape wrote:
John D wrote: To start I will discuss fibromyalgia. My wife has it. It's a real thing. Your dismissing it as a non medical condition shows your ignorance. The reason we now have a disease call fibromyalgia is that medical researchers have started to figure it out. In prior generations people with fibro were just called lazy and they were vilified. I guess you like that method best. Good for you. I am happy your don't know someone who has this disease... well... maybe you do and you just call them lazy. On a side note.... it is thought that lots of mammals get fibromyalgia. It is a condition referred to a "lameness" in horses. The poor horses have so much pain they would rather be beaten than have to move. Do some reading if your really care to.
I did consider you when including fibromyalgia in that list, not wanting to cause you upset. But honesty won out. Previously someone asked about fibromyalgia and I wrote:
Gender might not be a social construct, but illness sometimes is. If you want to get a good feel of how such patients have (always) been with us, under various labels according to society's understanding of symptoms and illness, you could do worse than to read Edward Shorter "From Paralysis to Fatigue" (here on Amazon, and be sure to see how the reviews polarise into those who have the diseases mentioned and those who don't). Apparently, to point out that such symptom constellations have been labelled otherwise (and in ways that seem laughable to us - 'green sickness'?) in the past, is somehow denying the validity or dignity of the present day sufferers. In fact, it is an attempt to understand something that has defied scientific investigation, at least, as far as showing it to be a physical disorder is concerned. Yes, there are fMRI changes in the brains of CFS/ME/FM patients, and they resemble those of chronic pain patients. In other words they are an effect rather than a cause. Yes, non-restorative sleep leads reliably to diffuse muscle pain and tenderness at the trigger points (currently acquired by fibromyalgics as their property, but also very susceptible to explanation in terms of biomechanics and the fact that evolution hasn't caught up with the change to bipedality).

My view? These people are sick. Ill. Sometimes disabled. I don't discriminate between mental and physical disorders in those terms - both are equally valid ways of being ill. Having said that, and paid due respect to the reality of their illness, I have to say also that the illness concerned seems to be psychosomatic - that is, the mind is causing bodily symptoms and illness, or at least to commonly include a psychosomatic component. If we are to make such people well again, we need to understand the truth of the genesis of their condition, but if the condition itself is either sometimes, or to some degree, a way of adopting the sick role and avoiding some uncomfortable aspects of life it is likely that there will be resistance against our attempts to relieve it or provide an accurate explanation for it. And this is what we find. The only proven interventions that are easily provided - an exercise program and tricyclic antidepressants (in tiny doses they don't work as anti-depressants but simply change sleep architecture to provide more stage IV sleep, where muscles are flaccid and probably repair the minor injuries incurred each day, relieving the muscular aching characterising non-restorative sleep. SSRI's are less good, but also used) - are often refused or tried briefly and discarded. Any exploration of underlying psychological issues is seen as an attempt to deny the reality of the symptoms and results in an alienated patient unless undertaken with great delicacy. If we could get people to stand back from themselves and see the problem as one where they could say "my brain and my body have conspired to produce an illness that is a not very useful way of dealing with life; how shall I work to reverse this?" we would get somewhere.
So let me be clear with you, John. I am glad to see you stick up for your missus, but you don't have to do so with me. I agree she's ill, and that her symptoms are real. What no one agrees on is the pathogenesis, and nobody has definitive evidence. I know lots of people with it, as patients, and I hope I have treated them kindly. The participants in the conversation I alluded to have, between us, 79 years of experience in medical practice, so we have had ample opportunity to see lots of such patients. Let us hope the whole thing is elucidated soon.
But... I want to add this thought. The term "psychosomatic" is used to imply that that such diseases are "made-up" or all "in someone's head".

It is not a good choice of words in my opinion. I will grant you a generous interpretation of this word but I think its meaning is not clear. My wife would, no doubt, agree that much of her problems could be caused by mental health issues. But, she would not agree that this makes her disease psychosomatic.

Webster says it this way:
Simple Definition of psychosomatic
: caused by mental or emotional problems rather than by physical illness

Now, we could somehow make sense of this definition, but only if we truly believed that mental illness was somehow different than physical illness. In truth, the mind and body are essentially inseparable. It is the false belief in the duality of mind/body that is the problem.

While not saying this implicitly, the term psychosomatic implies that a person should be able to simply think their way to health.

The term psychosomatic should be tossed into the wastebasket of shitty words (words that claim to mean one thing but really mean something else). Other words in this basket should include "feminism", "naturopathy", and "holistic".

Malky

Post by Malky »

John D wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
John D wrote:... fibromyalgia .... is a condition referred to a "lameness" in horses. The poor horses have so much pain they would rather be beaten than have to move.
DrogoNo.jpg
While you my enjoy just posting "NO" you may want to consider that newly identified diseases in humans might also be found in animals. Obviously, fibro is newly identified and not well understood. It could be that applying a fibro diagnoses to animals is not a good idea once more is known. I guess I didn't know you were so informed on the topic that you could simply make a declaration.

So... if you are so smart about fibro... why don't you give my wife a treatment plan?

Here is an article about equine fibro. You can shove it up your ass if you like.

http://www.vetcontact.com/en/art.php?a=694
I understand your anger but its not worth getting upset at. Conditions like Fybro are an enigma to anyone who has nt come across it and there are probably people out there who do use it as an excuse. One thing that might be of interest is that I have been diagnosed as having small fibre neuropathy which when reading about it seems may also be implicated in fybromyalgia.

Dave

Post by Dave »

John D wrote: While not saying this implicitly, the term psychosomatic implies that a person should be able to simply think their way to health.
No, it does not. No more than one can simply think ones self out of depression or being bipolar.

John D

Post by John D »

Dave wrote:
John D wrote: While not saying this implicitly, the term psychosomatic implies that a person should be able to simply think their way to health.
No, it does not. No more than one can simply think ones self out of depression or being bipolar.
We should take a vote on this. It is also possible that my interpretation of the implied meaning (all-in-your-head, or think-your-way-out-of-it) is more common in the USofA. Where are you from Dave?

I have heard the "its-all-in-your-head" definition for decades here.

Dave

Post by Dave »

John D wrote:
Dave wrote:
We should take a vote on this. It is also possible that my interpretation of the implied meaning (all-in-your-head, or think-your-way-out-of-it) is more common in the USofA. Where are you from Dave?

I have heard the "its-all-in-your-head" definition for decades here.
Ive lived in Murrica! all my life, mostly in the greater NYC area.

Ive heard the "its all in your head" useage too, but thats not supported by the Webster's definition you quoted earlier, and thats not how medical professionals (which I understand screwtape to be one) use it. Besides, depression is "all in your head" too according to many laymen. That doesnt mean its not a legitimate illness. Shocking that there could be a quantum leap between how a professional uses a word and how some laymen use it.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Dave's not here, man.

Anyway - John D - I was meaning to ask you about your experience with Sunday Assembly.

Do you think that the disfunction you experienced was inevitable? ie that it is the natural decay of a group, without a clearly defined opposition (eg Religious bigots) or goals?

Obviously there are some societies like the Freemasons or Oddfellows that seem to be able to last longer term as charitable societies and/or social groups. But I wonder if they are the exception rather than the rule.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Oh Joy! Creepy Clown paranoia has hit my town.

As usual, there are unspecified "reports." Several people have heard that there was one in the park by the school, but we cant seem to find anyone who actually saw a clown.

John D

Post by John D »

MarcusAu wrote:Dave's not here, man.

Anyway - John D - I was meaning to ask you about your experience with Sunday Assembly.

Do you think that the disfunction you experienced was inevitable? ie that it is the natural decay of a group, without a clearly defined opposition (eg Religious bigots) or goals?

Obviously there are some societies like the Freemasons or Oddfellows that seem to be able to last longer term as charitable societies and/or social groups. But I wonder if they are the exception rather than the rule.
I had fun for almost a year at Sunday Assembly. I think they are still going along just fine without me. When I "spy" on them and look at their attendance they look to be staying about the same size over the last year. Perhaps there are 60 people at every monthly assembly. I think the people who go there like it. It is like going to church where everyone is a SJW. All the libertarians and conservatives left the group. The people who are left are all lefty liberals and they are non-religious.

They are not growing. They are not shrinking.

I think they have a kind of unwritten set of rules. They claim they are "radically inclusive". What this really means is that anyone who thinks they are an oppressed minority are included. Not much space for a middle class white guy who is a moderate (and lacks white guilt).

dogen

Post by dogen »

MacGruberKnows wrote:The bottom line is, you need a star to Orbit around. You cannot Orbit around a vaccuum. The center of mass is always with the star and not a vaccuum. IOW's, vaccuums suck and sooner or later, stars blow.

Conclusion, the dead chick sucked, she never blew. Cause she was no star.
Not true. In an equal-mass binary system, both stars orbit around a vacuum.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I interrupt this dogen induced pit kill to bring just released footage of PZ Myers chasing Richard Carrier out of Free Thought Blogs.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

dogen wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:The bottom line is, you need a star to Orbit around. You cannot Orbit around a vaccuum. The center of mass is always with the star and not a vaccuum. IOW's, vaccuums suck and sooner or later, stars blow.

They are orbiting their barycentre though, not the vacuum. [/pedant]

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

dogen wrote:

Zappa wrote an entite album, plus some, on the subject.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7v8CSr9_K3Q/S ... e+left.jpg
"A gypsy mutant industrial vacuum cleaner dances about a mysterious night time camp fire. Festoons. Dozens of imported castanets, clutched by the horrible suction of its heavy duty hose, waving with marginal erotic abandon in the midnight autumn air." (Zappa)

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Dave wrote:Oh Joy! Creepy Clown paranoia has hit my town.

As usual, there are unspecified "reports." Several people have heard that there was one in the park by the school, but we cant seem to find anyone who actually saw a clown.
The ones that disappear are the Ghost Clowns.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I have to break the silent!!!

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Dave wrote:Oh Joy! Creepy Clown paranoia has hit my town.

Same thing here, there was a clown supposedly with a knife seen in the park, ( main park in town,bordering the middle school and around the corner from the high school.( no sightings by the high school, but the school was closed due to a broken water main so ...

The clown was sighted again down the same street about a mile away outside a grammar school.

The cops were called( mostly based on the knife report) they didn't find anything but stepped up patrols.

The board of Ed. Sent out texts and alerts to all the parents they had contact info on.

If I had to guess, it sounds like prankster monkey shines.
We couldn't be lucky enough to have an actual homicidal clown...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote:I have to break the silent!!!
Why, what did they do?

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

MarcusAu wrote:
comhcinc wrote:I have to break the silent!!!
Why, what did they do?
They occupied the planet for one, then they went after the doctor....

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

2016 Clown Sightings have their own wikipedia entry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_clown_sightings

and if you follow the link to Coulrophobia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulrophobia

The quoted expert and author of the book 'Bad Clowns' should be familiar to most people here

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bjBioq5nzZ8/ ... 00x749.jpg

I'm almost afraid to search for any further news stories.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:2016 Clown Sightings have their own wikipedia entry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_clown_sightings

and if you follow the link to Coulrophobia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulrophobia

The quoted expert and author of the book 'Bad Clowns' should be familiar to most people here

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bjBioq5nzZ8/ ... 00x749.jpg

I'm almost afraid to search for any further news stories.
Shit, I never realised he had mounted Stollznow's head post retraction.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I'm glad about the scary clown craze. Radford deserves some wins in his life.

It's a pretty good book btw.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

I would expect the whole thing to ramp up as we near Halloween.

Frankly, I think it's kind of fun( as long as some real lunatic doesn't take advantage of it)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well, it certainly puts a different spin on 'big foot skepticism'

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Spike13 wrote:I would expect the whole thing to ramp up as we near Halloween.

Frankly, I think it's kind of fun( as long as some real lunatic doesn't take advantage of it)
What are the odds? Heh. Heh heh heh. Haha uh ha ha ha! Now my evil is law!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote:I'm glad about the scary clown craze. Radford deserves some more wins in his life.

It's a pretty good book btw.
FTFY

feathers

Post by feathers »

comhcinc wrote:
Shatterface wrote:There are kids without cell-phones?
Yeah they are called poor.
The poor kids have prepaid while the posh kids have an automatic monthly upgrade plan with recurring credit card payment.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Spike13 wrote:Same thing here, there was a clown supposedly with a knife seen in the park, ( main park in town,bordering the middle school and around the corner from the high school.( no sightings by the high school, but the school was closed due to a broken water main so ...

The clown was sighted again down the same street about a mile away outside a grammar school.

The cops were called( mostly based on the knife report) they didn't find anything but stepped up patrols.

The board of Ed. Sent out texts and alerts to all the parents they had contact info on.

If I had to guess, it sounds like prankster monkey shines.
We couldn't be lucky enough to have an actual homicidal clown...
Clowns are more afraid of you than you are of them.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Coulrophobia is erasing a whole kin of people and their lived experience.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
screwtape wrote:3. Anxiety disorders are booming among the young, probably understandably given to over-protective parenting style in vogue. Never allowed to fail before, the big bad world isn't so understanding, and anxiety ensues.
I don't agree with the inferred cause. I blame the fact that kids are never "alone" anymore ... never have some time to themself to digest what's going on, etc. I say this because the increase in anxiety is coming almost entirely from kids with cell-phones.
There is a course run by Surf Life Saving which covers this. Basically too much information and no down time to process it. It leads to sleep problems, depression and other issues. Another issue is the feeling of failure if they don't have the latest and best cool gadget. I tried to find the name of the guy who runs the course. Some very interesting insights

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

So, I'm in the middle of watching a documentary about Australia: Wolf Creek.

Is it any accurate?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

The CLOWN SCARE craze has taken off in the UK as well.....

The police are apparently investigating. If people dressed up in PZ Myers masks, I could understand the hysteria.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -newcastle

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I'm talking about the 2005 on with John Jarratt, obviously.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

And fuck clowns. The lot of them. If I see one down the street at night, he better hope his shoe fits his mouth.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:So, I'm in the middle of watching a documentary about Australia: Wolf Creek.

Is it any accurate?
Ivan Milat

Fun fact: my husband comes from that area

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

rayshul wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:So, I'm in the middle of watching a documentary about Australia: Wolf Creek.

Is it any accurate?
Ivan Milat

Fun fact: my husband comes from that area
So, quite accurate, then.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

To me it feels like Deliverance is a fair take on Georgia. maybe we should ask Com...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

SQUEEL LIKE A BANJO!!!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Don't ask me - I don't speak 'Strine.

The following links may help

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strine-Complet ... rds=strine

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

You know, come to think of it, Banjo boy might be the poster child of SJWs everywhere. Yeah, i'm gonna try and stick with it. BBW...

...err, wait...

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:And fuck clowns. The lot of them. If I see one down the street at night, he better hope his shoe fits his mouth.
'White face' is never acceptable.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

screwtape wrote:
If we are to make such people well again, we need to understand the truth of the genesis of their condition, but if the condition itself is either sometimes, or to some degree, a way of adopting the sick role and avoiding some uncomfortable aspects of life it is likely that there will be resistance against our attempts to relieve it or provide an accurate explanation for it. And this is what we find. The only proven interventions that are easily provided - an exercise program and tricyclic antidepressants (in tiny doses they don't work as anti-depressants but simply change sleep architecture to provide more stage IV sleep, where muscles are flaccid and probably repair the minor injuries incurred each day, relieving the muscular aching characterising non-restorative sleep. SSRI's are less good, but also used) - are often refused or tried briefly and discarded. Any exploration of underlying psychological issues is seen as an attempt to deny the reality of the symptoms and results in an alienated patient unless undertaken with great delicacy.
QFT. DSM 5 refers to such syndromes as "somatic symptom disorders." I suspect that fibromyalgia, chronic lyme disease, "food sensitivities," and various poorly-defined and markerless autoimmune diseases - in other people - are a big part of the reason I'm kind of overworked and tired right now. Such disorders are very common in academia, IME. I think many of the neurologists I know refer fibromyalgia and chronic lyme patients to rheumatology - they have enough trouble trying to care for all the patients with stroke, MS, Parkinson's, essential tremor, epilepsy, etc.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

To celebrate B.O.'s fly by visit

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

MarcusAu wrote:To celebrate B.O.'s fly by visit

Kyuuto!! Sorry I've been absent, but work has been ... overwhelming. Also trying to refinance my mortgage for a better rate (almost there, but it took buttloads of paperwork plus appraisal visits - I've had pelvic exams that were less intrusive lulz). First world problems, I know ....

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Ok , a quick and dirty Pyt poll:

Who gets creeped out by clowns? Me, Phil, who else?

Who likes/tolerates clowns?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Fuck clowns. Up the arse.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Spike13 wrote:Ok , a quick and dirty Pyt poll:

I dislike clowns and think they're creepy as fuck. There's an old film we show the medical students that has a mime demonstrating the muscles of facial expression, and he has clown-like face paint. It gives me the heebie-jeebies.

John D

Post by John D »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Fuck clowns. Up the arse.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Clowns are the male failure archetype, as prostitutes, witches, spinsters, are the female failure archetype. Once you see this you'll never look at a clown the same. A clown is a physically unattractive male whose social utility is to entertain, to make laugh; he's the childless uncle who shows up at dinner and makes everyone laugh, but don't leave your kids alone with him because there's a reason he never married. That's the reason people get creeped out by clowns. They aren't just something history fabricated as an entertainment role. They're an archetype everyone understands subconsciously.

Clowns can be funny from a distance. It's only close up that they get terrifying.

John D

Post by John D »

I get creeped out by "Snugglebear". It's because the face shows no emotion. This is the trouble with clowns. You can't read their emotions from their face.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I'm okay with clowns as long as they're in the appropriate situation, such as at a circus. It' the idea of a clown where it shouldn't be that bugs me, like out in a forest or something.

As for the recent wave of apparent sightings - I was initially inclined to believe it might be part of a guerilla marketing campaign for the upcoming release of It. However, that film's at least a year away from release, so maybe not. However, I've noted that the new Pennywise pic -

http://i.imgur.com/xd0K9uw.jpg

- has has a lot of internet exposure recently, and maybe this has put clowns on people's minds more than usual.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

This goes out to Brive, whom I immediately thought of when I came upon my friend in the shower tonight. Scissors to give scale. Don't worry I didn't attack it with them.

http://i.imgur.com/NzJ2p7rm.jpg

Yes, my plan was to capture it in a pet fish net and put it in a pot with a glass top. Towels under the door to prevent it from escaping, especially under the left door, which is my bedroom. I'm not particularly arachnophobic, but...

http://i.imgur.com/I3Dhjs9m.jpg

Amazingly, it all went to plan. At first I though I had damaged two of its legs, but they're amazingly flexible.
Here release in my carport. Happy Ending.

http://i.imgur.com/M4D173mm.jpg

Couch

Post by Couch »

It's midnight here and my young fella has poked his head in the telly room three times since bedtime complainig he can't sleep becuase he's creeped out by clowns. He says they're all over the 'net right now and 'definitely real'. Just tucked him in with his mum to calm him down.

So clearly insane clown are a thing right now...? I may cruelly use this to extract some good behaviour. Slender Man got me nearly 18 months of good behaviour back in 2013/14.