The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Malky

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Malky »

mordacious1 wrote:Back in 1982, when I worked for a government agency with 3 letters, <snip>
Is this the IRS? :think:

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Keating wrote:
Aneris wrote:You have been mislead by alt right rags, hearsay and incompetent translations.
This pretty much sums up the entirety of my problem. You act like there's no one else who can read German, has German ties, and that there aren't flaming nutbar leftists also trying to push an agenda as hard as the alt-right, or whatever do.

I never made any claims specific to the German press; just that I found it hard to believe it didn't also have all the problems the Australian press does. I was mostly bemused that everything was always the fault of "right wing idiot". One wonders if you actually know any left wing people at all. Personally, I find the "bring them here" crowd to be more idiotic and dangerous than the "Reclaim Australia" crowd. They're both full of flaming nutbars, but left wing ones will do more damage if they get any traction.

Everything? Again? The topic was how does the media in Germany report on terroristic or amok-like incidents, and how do they handle the subject of refugees or Muslim immigrants. This was the topic. It is not about everything, and not about (other) political beliefs of left or right wingers. I don't know why some have this irrational bug recently. There is lots to criticize, but if you cite Breitbart and PEGIDA, or Kraut and Tea or Sargon, you will be demonstrably wrong on this matter.

In Germany, the so-called “Lügenpresse”* topic was a main theme of the Right Wing, especially PEGIDA and the AFD, which emerged as a faction recently. They are somewhat similar to the Trump and Tea Party movements in the US (I know they are not identical), and the UKIP and Brexit camp in the UK, an eccentric reactionary mix of the Further Right to Far Right, including some Neo Nazis. They are new to Germany, which previously didn't have a dedicated science-denialist (e.g. Climate Change), reactionary, xenophobic faction that is also considered votable. The conservatives had them on their right wing, and sort of neutralized them, by declaring that no other democratic party can be rightwards to them (while they stretched all the way to the centre). But now AFD sprung up rightwards and their feat was to pull it off while maintaining the fascade to be still a democratic party (which they barely meet, thanks to fascist opinion leaders who hopped on board).

These people found that the “lying media” was never reporting about the crimes of the refugees, which surely skyrocketed. The discrepancy between reporting and reality was determined with scientific accuracy as measured in Feelz-units. Also, a Facebook story about rape of hot, blonde, German girls was somehow not mentioned in the Tagesschau. Facebook stories are scientific fact and the Tagesschau and the liberal media are lying!

It transpired by now that hobby propagandists share all sorts of rubbish on social media, repurpose old stories or dramatize smaller incidents, and it is believed, because you can't trust the media. That's why you should believe any random guy on the internet (this is of course eternal wisdom passed along by those “In The Know”, who also know about lizard overlords and chemtrail mindcontrol).

Back in reality, there is the Chinese Robber Fallacy. Given enough people, you wind up with plenty of robberers. That doesn't mean you should report on everything. Sure, some people truly believe that when the news don't mention a theft, none happened that day. Right Wing dimwits are usually of that type. If they are not immersed in fearmongering, they feel being lied to.

Nevermind that the refugee topic is in the media all the time. Nevermind that politicians across the spectrum didn't like Merkels course. Nevermind that big and small issues are being discussed all the time, from commentary by our Official Lead Feminist Alice Schwartzer to Bavarian politicians. Immigration is a topic for ten years or so, ever since Thilo Sarrazin rust,ed the Jimies, as I explained another time. People who say this debate doesn't exist and problems aren't mentioned must live under some rock. Even I, who barely watches TV, got the impression its the perma-topic in talk shows.

I know the genuine problem of Regressive news, that actually omit and downplay issues. I'm around here for three years. I also know that this mixes with the SJW infestation, and that there is a media bias now in the left liberal mainstream (i.e. news we tend to consume). I also got the memo that Breitbart occasionally featured stories nobody else would report on, and that you could check their sources (tweets etc) to learn what happened, without believing their take — which made them useful for a while.

BUT. You have to be careful and not get carried away by confirmation bias and stories that seem to confirm again what you alread believe, especially when it mixes with narratives concocted on the far right, known to be false. For example, Kraut and Tea and Sargon made a live-stream with a concerned German guy and it turned out halfway-in that this was a rare specimen of Reichsbürger, a far right wingnut conspiracy corner that mixes with neo nazism. I'm not making it up. It was comical to hear that. It's like inviting an expert and over time his halfway plausible (confirming) ideas turn into lunatic ramblings.

* “lying press”, was also used in the Third Reich propaganda against foreign or liberal media.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

CommanderTuvok wrote:We all know SJWs have a penchant for animal cruelty.
No, we don't all know that. Do you have any citations to back up this assertion, or you just nonsensically babbling again?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Dave wrote:
Whatever. Its perfectly reasonable to name the competition after the newspaper that first sponsored it. What? Why do you hate history?
Fake, use Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Gumby wrote:
No, we don't all know that. Do you have any citations to back up this assertion, or you just nonsensically babbling again?
This.

Aneris

Re: Intersectionality vs SJWs

Post by Aneris »

Malky wrote:
Aneris wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:It's a sad spectacle to see, on an atheist blog, how every form of criticism of Islam is now called islamophobia. Apparently this is because Muslims are 'brown people' (it's not racist when SJWs say this), and the beliefs of 'brown people' are not to be criticized, as that would be racism.
I read Kimberlé Crenshaw's original Intersectionality article recently (the idea to which SJWs refer to all the time). It is of course based on some hogwash postmodern premises, but I sympathize with what she is trying to do.

<snip wall of text>
Nice to see you back - have you been writing this in the hiatus?
Thanks :) A curious question. I wrote that text right before I posted it, but did write other things based on that material, which made it easier to put something together.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Gumby wrote:
This.
This?

[youtube][/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

This:

[youtube][/youtube]

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Brive1987 wrote:Where Watson complains she has been abused by an army of angry men because she mentioned her anxiety online.

I only recall her mentioning that in her video where we took the piss because she wanted a goddam Alsatian in her hobbit hole and was told "no".

Anyway. Elevator-gate victim points get trotted out. Again. In an otherwise mundane monologue.

https://youtu.be/uhe6_qUfFqs

Fucking YouTube Slymepit iPad embeds.
Typical. RW describes some situation in which she is acting selfishly, and against the best interest in another (in this case a dog, in the past see Steph McGraw and others). People on the internet object. RW comes back with "WAAAHHHH! The internet is so mean to me because I'm a WOMAN!!".

Glad the dog got saved for someone who isn't going to lock it up in an apartment. I've lived in an apartment complex with a lot of dogs, and even the small ones didn't give me the impression that they were having a lot of fun.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Gumby wrote:
Yeah, our Tuvok seems to have a penchant for making things up about SJWs and saying he's joking. Not only is that morally questionable, it's also really not helping our case against bad ethical behavior and accusations with little evidence in the atheist communities. Please stop.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

VickyCaramel wrote:Posted without comment.

Australian man 'put acid in sex club lubricant'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-37211348
Jesus. I really thought they meant LSD. Couldn't read past the first sentence
Aneris wrote:
Keating wrote:
Aneris wrote:You have been mislead by alt right rags, hearsay and incompetent translations.
This pretty much sums up the entirety of my problem. You act like there's no one else who can read German, has German ties, and that there aren't flaming nutbar leftists also trying to push an agenda as hard as the alt-right, or whatever do.

I never made any claims specific to the German press; just that I found it hard to believe it didn't also have all the problems the Australian press does. I was mostly bemused that everything was always the fault of "right wing idiot". One wonders if you actually know any left wing people at all. Personally, I find the "bring them here" crowd to be more idiotic and dangerous than the "Reclaim Australia" crowd. They're both full of flaming nutbars, but left wing ones will do more damage if they get any traction.

Everything? Again? The topic was how does the media in Germany report on terroristic or amok-like incidents, and how do they handle the subject of refugees or Muslim immigrants. This was the topic. It is not about everything, and not about (other) political beliefs of left or right wingers. I don't know why some have this irrational bug recently. There is lots to criticize, but if you cite Breitbart and PEGIDA, or Kraut and Tea or Sargon, you will be demonstrably wrong on this matter.

In Germany, the so-called “Lügenpresse”* topic was a main theme of the Right Wing, especially PEGIDA and the AFD, which emerged as a faction recently. They are somewhat similar to the Trump and Tea Party movements in the US (I know they are not identical), and the UKIP and Brexit camp in the UK, an eccentric reactionary mix of the Further Right to Far Right, including some Neo Nazis. They are new to Germany, which previously didn't have a dedicated science-denialist (e.g. Climate Change), reactionary, xenophobic faction that is also considered votable. The conservatives had them on their right wing, and sort of neutralized them, by declaring that no other democratic party can be rightwards to them (while they stretched all the way to the centre). But now AFD sprung up rightwards and their feat was to pull it off while maintaining the fascade to be still a democratic party (which they barely meet, thanks to fascist opinion leaders who hopped on board).

These people found that the “lying media” was never reporting about the crimes of the refugees, which surely skyrocketed. The discrepancy between reporting and reality was determined with scientific accuracy as measured in Feelz-units. Also, a Facebook story about rape of hot, blonde, German girls was somehow not mentioned in the Tagesschau. Facebook stories are scientific fact and the Tagesschau and the liberal media are lying!

It transpired by now that hobby propagandists share all sorts of rubbish on social media, repurpose old stories or dramatize smaller incidents, and it is believed, because you can't trust the media. That's why you should believe any random guy on the internet (this is of course eternal wisdom passed along by those “In The Know”, who also know about lizard overlords and chemtrail mindcontrol).

Back in reality, there is the Chinese Robber Fallacy. Given enough people, you wind up with plenty of robberers. That doesn't mean you should report on everything. Sure, some people truly believe that when the news don't mention a theft, none happened that day. Right Wing dimwits are usually of that type. If they are not immersed in fearmongering, they feel being lied to.

Nevermind that the refugee topic is in the media all the time. Nevermind that politicians across the spectrum didn't like Merkels course. Nevermind that big and small issues are being discussed all the time, from commentary by our Official Lead Feminist Alice Schwartzer to Bavarian politicians. Immigration is a topic for ten years or so, ever since Thilo Sarrazin rust,ed the Jimies, as I explained another time. People who say this debate doesn't exist and problems aren't mentioned must live under some rock. Even I, who barely watches TV, got the impression its the perma-topic in talk shows.

I know the genuine problem of Regressive news, that actually omit and downplay issues. I'm around here for three years. I also know that this mixes with the SJW infestation, and that there is a media bias now in the left liberal mainstream (i.e. news we tend to consume). I also got the memo that Breitbart occasionally featured stories nobody else would report on, and that you could check their sources (tweets etc) to learn what happened, without believing their take — which made them useful for a while.

BUT. You have to be careful and not get carried away by confirmation bias and stories that seem to confirm again what you alread believe, especially when it mixes with narratives concocted on the far right, known to be false. For example, Kraut and Tea and Sargon made a live-stream with a concerned German guy and it turned out halfway-in that this was a rare specimen of Reichsbürger, a far right wingnut conspiracy corner that mixes with neo nazism. I'm not making it up. It was comical to hear that. It's like inviting an expert and over time his halfway plausible (confirming) ideas turn into lunatic ramblings.

* “lying press”, was also used in the Third Reich propaganda against foreign or liberal media.

Tigzy wrote:
feathers wrote:
Tigzy wrote:All in all, such jolly ribbing of the religion of peace meant a good time was had by all. Mostly.

No need to make something up:
The Usual Suspects

[tweet][/tweet]

:nin: :nin: :nin:

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Dave

Post by Dave »

Spike13 wrote:
deLurch wrote: BS SJWs aside, what do people here propose is the right solution for true intersex women (e.g. this woman born with female genitalia & internal testes) in athletic competitions?

* Allow them to compete in woman's competitions and call it the day?
* Only allow them to compete in men's competitions?
* Allow fellow female competitors to shoot up testosterone to be more competitive?
* Other?

Personally, I am leaning towards the first option.

The lords of the olymics will never sully their hands with this.

I honestly think that the scenario I outlined will be what happens. A massive uptick in female athletes caught on performance enhancers.

Records will fall in record number, followed by Floyd Landis/Lance Armstrong style shit shows.

Again, why fund all that money into women's events if it's clear they have no hope of winning.

This is going to be a dark era in women's sports.
I know Im late to the party, but actually they did sully their hands with this. And have done so several times in the past.

The IOC rule was to require a testosterone level less than some level to compete in the women's events. (That level was apparently 3 or 4 SDs above the measured average of elite women athletes.) Semenya was above that level and was required to take testosterone blockers to compete. She became very average when she did so, and so naturally challenged the rule. The Court of Arbitration for Sport heard the challenge (in accordance with the Olympic Charter) and held that the IOC did not have sufficient scientific evidence that testosterone produced an unfair advantage for women and therefore the rule was invalid. The rule was thereby suspended until 2017 while the IOC appeals.

I agree that if the CAS ruling stands, it will be a dark era for women's sports, but I think its wrong to say that the "lords of the olympics" (whom I have many issues with, just not this one) would not touch the issue, since they clearly are solidly on one side of it.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Aneris wrote:
<snip>
Third, if Intersectionality was applied in an analogical fashion to atheism, it would be in spirit of Dawkins' “Dear Muslima” response to Myers and Watson, because Dawkins makes women of colour visible that — out of well-intentioned antibigot urges — otherwise fall between the cracks. Watson and Co take the other position, of standard feminism which is criticized by Crenshaw. Regressive Left Islam accommodationism does “replicate and reinforce the subordination of people of color, and the failure of antiracism to interrogate patriarchy means that antiracism will frequently reproduce the subordination of women [Muslimas]”; hence Myers, Watson and Co are, curious twist, the exact opposite of intersectional. They are the ones who derided Dawkins text. Again, they did that without as much as a throw-away sentence about possible intersectional implications, which shows that they have absolutely no idea, whatsoever, what they do.

<snip>
I've always thought that Dawkins "Dear Muslima" was the perfect rebuttal to Watson&co, who reacted in a childish way to what was an excellent point which demolished their special victimhood narrative. If you're interested in women's rights you should be concerned with legally and socially approved discrimination, not with the behavior of a few rude people on the Internet.

A coherent "intersectional" feminist should focus more on the plight of women under oppressive and discriminatory theocratic and traditionalist regimes than on the struggles of middle class women against rude comments on the Internet in a country where they have the same legal rights as men and where harm, intimidation and threats are socially condemned by a wide majority.

I'm glad to see that someone else agrees with me.

Matt Cavanaugh

Helen Mirren Monday

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Needing some Helen to cheer me up today:
caligula_bed.jpg
(66.38 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Fucking tapatalk...

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Jan Steen wrote:Should have added Dr. Richard Carrier PhD to the list.
Nope. Your list was for "well-known" atheists. Other than in a very small corner of the internet, plus two or three academics, nobody has heard of the guy.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:Should have added Dr. Richard Carrier PhD to the list.
Nope. Your list was for "well-known" atheists. Other than in a very small corner of the internet, plus two or three academics, nobody has heard of the guy.
These days most people don't remember PZ Myers. either.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

deLurch wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:TJ(Amazing Atheist)just broke a million subscribers. I'm looking forward to the Patheos bloggers rolling out their fainting couches.
I am personally not really wild about TJ's style of videos. Not that I think he is doing or saying anything wrong. He does tend to say much that I agree with, so walking into my own personal echo chamber does nothing for me.

My best guess as to why he has reached the popularity that he does have, is similar to the breitbart situation. He is saying things most people don't. And the people sick of what is pushed out by conventional PC wisdom are drawn to him.

In any case, I am glad he exists and is doing what he is doing even if I don't watch but the rare odd video someone points out as worthwhile.
I like TJ despite his obnoxiousness. I recently gave up on Sargon of Akkad though. Sargon comes off as condescending, I also think he's inconsistent and lazy. I did enjoy him doing a Chick tract on the Bible Reloaded though.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

Allow me to preface this by saying I only checked the last dozen or so pages for the word 'leak,' and if I have missed this discussion I humbly apologize.

In case you missed it: chat logs from Twitter Trusted Resource Crash Override Network (CON, Zoë Quinn's organization) have dropped.

The full leaks are out on the internet, but before they were, Twitch streamer Bro Team Pill ("Brote") made a first video, and later a second one.

These leaks have proven that
- Anti-GamerGate did, in fact, exist
- aGG was perfectly happy to dox / harass / abuse
- The people who were happy to dox / harass / abuse later became the founders and employees of CON
- CON is considered a 'trusted resource' for Twitter
- In some of the chat logs, they admit they want to get GG people fired; that might apply to all 'anti-SJWs'
- Other assorted shitty SJW nonsense

If you can stand Brote, enjoy the show. I'll post the second video if people want me to.

[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

@ 40 seconds, Richard Carrier gets his own bathroom:
[youtube][/youtube]

Dave

Post by Dave »

comhcinc wrote:The other day I heard a great point about the death of Gawker. A lot of people who are upset with it have made the point that it was a billionaire's money that was behind the Hogan suit.

Anyway the point was made was that Gawker had millions of dollars and it would take a billionaire to take them down. Most people who that harmed and attacked couldn't afford to take them to court.

It just proves that for all his issues in the end Hogan is a real American who is willing to fight for the rights of every man.
I take a similar, but perhaps slightly different approach: People keep claiming this is bad for journalism (like there still exists any journalism these days) because all it takes is one billionaire who doesnt like what you do, and youre toast. But it took Thiel, by his own admission, almost a decade of looking for the right case, to find one he could really screw Gawker with, AND that is with Gawker, who's entire MO was skating as close to the edge as possible. A fucking decade when dealing with a tawdry click-bait site. Somehow, I think, until billionaires start living for a thousand years or more, even slightly more staid news sites are probably safe.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Shatterface wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:Posted without comment.

Australian man 'put acid in sex club lubricant'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-37211348
Hydrochloric acid.

LSD would have been funnier.
Tabasco sauce....lol

Dave

Post by Dave »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
sp0tlight wrote:
Shatterface wrote:If anyone ever did ring Peezus he'd call it harassment and call the cops.
Mykeru did and Pyt fucked him into ground (the facts in this sentence may be wrong).
Mykeru didn't call Myers, he called UMM's HR.
Actually UMM's PR dept.

Prolly niggered, but what the hell.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Gumby wrote:
The fact that the pets of SJW's are stuck living with said SJW's I say is cruelty enough.

We can escape the madness whenever we want, those poor creatures have no hope for relief.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Dave wrote:
Spike13 wrote:
deLurch wrote: BS SJWs aside, what do people here propose is the right solution for true intersex women (e.g. this woman born with female genitalia & internal testes) in athletic competitions?

* Allow them to compete in woman's competitions and call it the day?
* Only allow them to compete in men's competitions?
* Allow fellow female competitors to shoot up testosterone to be more competitive?
* Other?

Personally, I am leaning towards the first option.

The lords of the olymics will never sully their hands with this.

I honestly think that the scenario I outlined will be what happens. A massive uptick in female athletes caught on performance enhancers.

Records will fall in record number, followed by Floyd Landis/Lance Armstrong style shit shows.

Again, why fund all that money into women's events if it's clear they have no hope of winning.

This is going to be a dark era in women's sports.
I know Im late to the party, but actually they did sully their hands with this. And have done so several times in the past.

The IOC rule was to require a testosterone level less than some level to compete in the women's events. (That level was apparently 3 or 4 SDs above the measured average of elite women athletes.) Semenya was above that level and was required to take testosterone blockers to compete. She became very average when she did so, and so naturally challenged the rule. The Court of Arbitration for Sport heard the challenge (in accordance with the Olympic Charter) and held that the IOC did not have sufficient scientific evidence that testosterone produced an unfair advantage for women and therefore the rule was invalid. The rule was thereby suspended until 2017 while the IOC appeals.

I agree that if the CAS ruling stands, it will be a dark era for women's sports, but I think its wrong to say that the "lords of the olympics" (whom I have many issues with, just not this one) would not touch the issue, since they clearly are solidly on one side of it.

I humbly stand corrected. ( although I still can't stand those corrupt bastards)

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Spike13 wrote:
Gumby wrote:
The fact that the pets of SJW's are stuck living with said SJW's I say is cruelty enough.

We can escape the madness whenever we want, those poor creatures have no hope for relief.
That and they are owned by people that generally live on Paetron and government handouts. Perhaps even people that have to blog for cat toys, as they have insufficient spoons to play with their cats without them. People should generally not take on extra responsibility if they are having difficulty providing even for themselves.

That said, I hope they are taking good care of their charges.

Billie from Ockham

Actually, the old rule from the IAAF was that women could have up to three times the 99th percentile for testosterone in women ... 10 nanomols per liter. This is way higher than just 3 or 4 SDs above the mean for women and is somewhere around the 20th percentile for men. But even that wasn't enough for Dutee Chand and (later) Caster Semen-Ya.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
There is evidence (anecdotal) that at least some of them are not taking care of their pets and/or that they are not qualified to do so.

It was Randi Lee Harder that chose the wrong type of dye for her dog. The results were not pretty:

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Randi_Harper

It was probably this incident that the Commander was obliquely referring to.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:There is evidence (anecdotal) that at least some of them are not taking care of their pets and/or that they are not qualified to do so.

It was Randi Lee Harder that chose the wrong type of dye for her dog. The results were not pretty:

Would anyone here leave Myers alone with an octopus?

CaptainFluffyBunny

MarcusAu wrote:
There is evidence (anecdotal) that at least some of them are not taking care of their pets and/or that they are not qualified to do so.

I was unaware of that incident, thanks. I thought the Commander was referring to Watson trying to stuff a large dog in a small apartment that already had three cats. Was she going to boot the cats, or was she totally stupid about how cats territorial intincts work? It did seem to verge on animal abuse, even without factoring her boyfriend in the equation.

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote:Would anyone here leave Myers alone with an octopus?
Absolutely! If I had the money, I'd set up a foundation and issue a call for proposals for research concerning the effects of Round-Up on the blue-ringed octopus, as log as the Principal Investigator pledged to swim naked with the creature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-ringed_octopus

Billie from Ockham

"log" as a typo for "long" is something that my therapist and I have been working on ... with no success so far, it appears

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Sure. How about 'Try a salad!"

Dave

Post by Dave »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Dave wrote:
Whatever. Its perfectly reasonable to name the competition after the newspaper that first sponsored it. What? Why do you hate history?
Fake, use Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp
Look, I learned this from Tony on the bus to scouting camp in 1978, Snopes has nothing on that kinda authority.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Aneris wrote:
<snip>
Third, if Intersectionality was applied in an analogical fashion to atheism, it would be in spirit of Dawkins' “Dear Muslima” response to Myers and Watson, because Dawkins makes women of colour visible that — out of well-intentioned antibigot urges — otherwise fall between the cracks. Watson and Co take the other position, of standard feminism which is criticized by Crenshaw. Regressive Left Islam accommodationism does “replicate and reinforce the subordination of people of color, and the failure of antiracism to interrogate patriarchy means that antiracism will frequently reproduce the subordination of women [Muslimas]”; hence Myers, Watson and Co are, curious twist, the exact opposite of intersectional. They are the ones who derided Dawkins text. Again, they did that without as much as a throw-away sentence about possible intersectional implications, which shows that they have absolutely no idea, whatsoever, what they do.

<snip>
I've always thought that Dawkins "Dear Muslima" was the perfect rebuttal to Watson&co, who reacted in a childish way to what was an excellent point which demolished their special victimhood narrative. If you're interested in women's rights you should be concerned with legally and socially approved discrimination, not with the behavior of a few rude people on the Internet.

A coherent "intersectional" feminist should focus more on the plight of women under oppressive and discriminatory theocratic and traditionalist regimes than on the struggles of middle class women against rude comments on the Internet in a country where they have the same legal rights as men and where harm, intimidation and threats are socially condemned by a wide majority.

I'm glad to see that someone else agrees with me.
I'm not sure if you can say they "should", but I think you can say that one would expect them to if they're sincere.

I wouldn't have a problem with "nightwatchman" feminism in liberal capitalist democracies - one would expect there to be some feminists concerned to winkle out remaining bits of misogyny and male privilege in liberal societies. But one would expect that majority of feminists to have moved on to concern about the far more egregious inequalities and examples of misogyny that abound elsewhere in the world.

One would expect that if the stated aim was really sincerely held to.

But then maybe that's part of the point, i.e. maybe part of the point of Third Wave Feminism is nihilistic glee in twitting liberal capitalism for not living up to the standards it sets for itself. IOW, by pointing out that a culture that's proud of a thing that it isn't doing the thing it's proud of very well, you diminish its self esteem. I think that's really the driver for the broadening of terms so that any old thing can be criticized as rape, misogyny, etc. It allows the complaint that liberal capitalist culture is "still misogynistic", still an evil patriarchy, etc., to live on.

And what's behind that is the perfect being the enemy of the good - i.e. existing liberal capitalist society can never be good enough, compared to the dream - the dream that unites and gives purpose, and makes for quasi-religious feelings of being the elect.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:Would anyone here leave Myers alone with an octopus?
Jane (Audrey McDonald) in Fellini's 1960 La Dolce Vita wrote:For every biologic test says octopi are oversexed

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Malky wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:Back in 1982, when I worked for a government agency with 3 letters, <snip>
KGB?

feathers

Post by feathers »

And 2016 continues with Gene Wilder. But ok, he was 83.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Actually, the old rule from the IAAF was that women could have up to three times the 99th percentile for testosterone in women ... 10 nanomols per liter. This is way higher than just 3 or 4 SDs above the mean for women and is somewhere around the 20th percentile for men. But even that wasn't enough for Dutee Chand and (later) Caster Semen-Ya.
Looking back over my sources, it was 5 SD over the level displayed by women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. But yes, 10 nmol/L, which is 3x the 99th percentile for "normal" women.

And of course it wasnt good enough for them, they were on the wrong side of the line.

If you are going to have a "easier" class, which is essentially what most, if not all, women's sports are, then you are going to have to defend the boundries of it as edge cases will prefer to compete in the easier class if possible.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

gurugeorge wrote: I'm not sure if you can say they "should", but I think you can say that one would expect them to if they're sincere.

I wouldn't have a problem with "nightwatchman" feminism in liberal capitalist democracies - one would expect there to be some feminists concerned to winkle out remaining bits of misogyny and male privilege in liberal societies. But one would expect that majority of feminists to have moved on to concern about the far more egregious inequalities and examples of misogyny that abound elsewhere in the world.

One would expect that if the stated aim was really sincerely held to.

But then maybe that's part of the point, i.e. maybe part of the point of Third Wave Feminism is nihilistic glee in twitting liberal capitalism for not living up to the standards it sets for itself. IOW, by pointing out that a culture that's proud of a thing that it isn't doing the thing it's proud of very well, you diminish its self esteem. I think that's really the driver for the broadening of terms so that any old thing can be criticized as rape, misogyny, etc. It allows the complaint that liberal capitalist culture is "still misogynistic", still an evil patriarchy, etc., to live on.

And what's behind that is the perfect being the enemy of the good - i.e. existing liberal capitalist society can never be good enough, compared to the dream - the dream that unites and gives purpose, and makes for quasi-religious feelings of being the elect.
I think it's just being spoiled. If you're a bratty child and you have two adults in your life, one who wants you to like them and to make you happy, and another who just wants you to do what you're told, it'll be the first one whose life you make a misery, because you know you'll get nothing from tormenting the second one.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I was unaware of that incident, thanks.
It's at times like this when I am being thanked for knowing this sort of thing - that I see the necessity in taking stock and reassessing my life's priorities.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

feathers wrote:And 2016 continues with Gene Wilder. But ok, he was 83.
[youtube][/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tribble wrote:
Malky wrote:
KGB?
UDA?
MPLA?

CaptainFluffyBunny

MarcusAu wrote:
I was unaware of that incident, thanks.
It's at times like this when I am being thanked for knowing this sort of thing - that I see the necessity in taking stock and reassessing my life's priorities.
Just like the garbage must be emptied, the sewers kept clear, someone must take these jobs on and do them well. Stand proud, citizen.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Lsuoma wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Malky wrote: Is this the IRS? :think:
KGB?
UDA?
MPLA?
BB King and Doris Day?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

So we need a new Pit tag. Suggestion, please.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Lsuoma wrote: UDA?
MPLA?
or just another Country....another council tenancy.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Oh, and if you suggest a tag and I use it, there will be a new rank - since you'll clearly be nuts about tags, you'll be an official Pit Tagnut.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

feathers wrote:And 2016 continues with Gene Wilder. But ok, he was 83.
I blame Obama.

Sucks though. I saw him as Willie Wonka during a Saturday matinee when I was in 5th grade. It's still one of my all-time favorite movies.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I have no ideas.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

rayshul wrote:I have no ideas.
That's pretty good.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote:
That's pretty good.
I like your one too Com

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
That's pretty good.
I like your one too Com
Mine would be something about PZ Myers Alt Right Goon.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote:Where Watson complains she has been abused by an army of angry men because she mentioned her anxiety online.

I only recall her mentioning that in her video where we took the piss because she wanted a goddam Alsatian in her hobbit hole and was told "no".

Anyway. Elevator-gate victim points get trotted out. Again. In an otherwise mundane monologue.

[youtube][/youtube]

Fucking YouTube Slymepit iPad embeds.
I haven't been making fun of her anxiety.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

comhcinc wrote:
Something like - "P Z Meyers - The Alt Right Atheist" ?

I'll let my quote about oversexed octopi above stand as my submission.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Something like - "P Z Meyers - The Alt Right Atheist" ?

I'll let my quote about oversexed octopi above stand as my submission.
The Slymepit "Recording the Machinations of Alt Right Goon PZ Myers".

That's it. That's main.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

MarcusAu wrote:She needs the negative comments to fuel the narrative which then churns out pity-bucks.

It's a great business plan - but only in the short term (I give it another 5 years tops) - and all it costs is a little self-respect on her (and her patreons) part.

I'm sure she gets legitimate abuse - as far as nasty comments on the internet go - but it will accomplish nothing to sit around a wallow in self pity.
Variances in patreon's counting methods aside, so far the pity party bucks appear to be more ore less stable so far.
https://graphtreon.com/creator/rebecca

$900/video & 4 videos per month = $3,600 / month, = $43,200 /year for the crap she shits out at the end of the month to make sure she brings in the money.

However looking at her youtube account, it appears that she uploads 6-10 videos per month.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Minus the amount Patreon takes, and note that not everyone will pay for each video, they have limits per month.

But I think most of these people can live off their boyfriends and/or parents.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Yeah, our Tuvok seems to have a penchant for making things up about SJWs and saying he's joking. Not only is that morally questionable, it's also really not helping our case against bad ethical behavior and accusations with little evidence in the atheist communities. Please stop.
Shit. Are we the good guys? :(

However that be as it may, the fish / weed killer combo has always been the poor mans Oswiecim.

And you don't seriously believe that PZ thought it was cow steak he was eating in Korea do you?

And here is a picture of Latsot's cat from his Twitter feed. Nb clear signs of domestic abuse.
You feel pretty silly now eh - don't you?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Brive1987 wrote: And here is a picture of Latsot's cat from his Twitter feed. Nb clear signs of domestic abuse.
You feel pretty silly now eh - don't you?
According to Parsehole, that's not actually Latsot's cat. It's his neighbour's.

I know. Don't ask. It's just...Latsot.