The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads

Shatterface

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Shatterface »

Someone should remind Jerry of that. My posts tend to go into moderation.

Really?

Post by Really? »

No, he was saying "Admiral Akbar." He's a Star Wars nerd. This is just more proof of rape culture.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

The hilarious bit:
“While I cannot discuss details of the investigation at this time, I do want to reassure the community that we are working to determine the nature of the incident," Adam Lee, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Richmond Division, said in the news release.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

feathers wrote:
Really? wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Most SJWs seem to lack the capacity for pleasure. Even the polymory and the obsession with transwomen and strap-ons is just an effort to compensate for their inability to enjoy normal sex.
That's an interesting point. Normal people can enjoy a TV show or a book or even a cool breeze on a hot day. In order to feel joy, SJWs need to get someone fired for misgendering a person on the Internet, all while having sex with four of their closest friends.
With strap-ons, mind, and absolutely not in the constructed vag!
Looks like Dory's constructed vag. is going to see about as much action as oaffie's condemned... I mean natural one.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Really? wrote:No, he was saying "Admiral Akbar." He's a Star Wars nerd. This is just more proof of rape culture.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori ... 18/2db.jpg

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Probably a rhetorical question, but why have the Louisiana floods received so little coverage?

If the police had shot dead 13 people it would be world headlines.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Shatterface wrote:Probably a rhetorical question, but why have the Louisiana floods received so little coverage?

Cause we don't have a republican president to blame the response on.

We have a democrat who found it more important to hit the links than actually do anything( or look like he's doing something)

It's great to have a compliant PR ...I mean,media at your beck and call.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Shatterface wrote:Jerry Coyne has cited Carrier as a credible source of the historicity of Jeebus:
As for J. Warner Wallace, author of Cold-Case Christianity and now adjunct professor of apologetics at Biola University, his book appears to be based purely on whether Scripture seems reliable to a detective (see here for his case). Apparently it does. But if the case for Christianity (or rather the divinity of Jesus) is best made by Wallace and Strobel, yet refuted by many others, including the Biblical scholars Bart Ehrman and Richard Carrier, then one should hardly commit one’s life to the doctrine.
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... /#comments
The commenters are actually treating carrier as a reliable scholar, with one frequent commenter (Ben Goren) touting Carrier's work as objective and fair because Bayes. Lolol.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

If a dem was pres. during 9/11:

"Workplace violence damages buildings in Manhattan and Washington."

Follow up:

"Dissatisfied passengers alter flight paths"

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Alice Dreger is thinking of leaving Twitter (or, is planning to leave):

Really?

Post by Really? »

Skep tickle wrote:Alice Dreger is thinking of leaving Twitter (or, is planning to leave):

nooo please don't gooo...

I found this recent tweet of hers interesting in the context of our Olympics discussion.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:Probably a rhetorical question, but why have the Louisiana floods received so little coverage?

What colour was the water?

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Spike13 wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Yep. And those of us with a 455 Trans Am in the driveway were not amused by the double-nickle.
Nice car.... My buddy had one. Thing ate clutches for lunch, but what a ride.
One of my scarier early experiences was doing the clutch on a 4.3 liter Monza. It was about freezing and I was trapped under the car, trying to bench-press the tranny back into position and feed in a bolt. I couldn't do it and was now too tired and cold to get the tranny off my chest. I was trapped for more than an hour (which seemed a lot longer than that) before someone came looking for me. I couldn't yell very loud from the weight on my chest. Scared the fuck out of me.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Really? wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Alice Dreger is thinking of leaving Twitter (or, is planning to leave):

nooo please don't gooo...

I found this recent tweet of hers interesting in the context of our Olympics discussion.
And men also have estrogen. What point is she trying to make? Nobody is claiming they are exclusive to one sex, just that one sex produced far more than the other.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I'd usually be interested in a podcast looking at conspiracy theories from a skeptic POV, but I won't have anything to do with something that involves Carrie Ploppy.

She can fuck the fuck right fucking off.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote: ...
What point is she trying to make?
That there are clear differences between the sexes, whilst at the same time there are no such differences.

Or

That any differences can only be acknowledged and defined if the observer has first checked their (or should that be his?) privilege. (And sometimes not even then).

In either case it's all rather quantum.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I'd usually be interested in a podcast looking at conspiracy theories from a skeptic POV, but I won't have anything to do with something that involves Carrie Ploppy.

You know what? I bet Carrie Ploppy somehow makes a shit-ton of money, too. She's precisely one of those sub-Forrest Gump type dipshits who always seem to come out on top and make you think 'what the fuck am I doing with my life??'

Mothra's Dentist

Post by Mothra's Dentist »

I sense a new religion about ready to blossom. Snicker if you must, but some of us believe the Planet of the Apes was a documentary
Attachments
image.jpeg
(620.53 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

dogen

Post by dogen »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Spike13 wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Yep. And those of us with a 455 Trans Am in the driveway were not amused by the double-nickle.
One of my scarier early experiences was doing the clutch on a 4.3 liter Monza. It was about freezing and I was trapped under the car, trying to bench-press the tranny back into position and feed in a bolt. I couldn't do it and was now too tired and cold to get the tranny off my chest. I was trapped for more than an hour (which seemed a lot longer than that) before someone came looking for me. I couldn't yell very loud from the weight on my chest. Scared the fuck out of me.
Who says trannies aren't dangerous, eh?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Tigzy wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:I'd usually be interested in a podcast looking at conspiracy theories from a skeptic POV, but I won't have anything to do with something that involves Carrie Ploppy.

You know what? I bet Carrie Ploppy somehow makes a shit-ton of money, too. She's precisely one of those sub-Forrest Gump type dipshits who always seem to come out on top and make you think 'what the fuck am I doing with my life??'

http://www.csicop.org/uploads/images/si ... h-both.jpg
http://www.jerriblank.com/amypolaroid.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I think the coverage is the same it ever was. I think what you are not seeing is people talking about it.

People are just not interested.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

MarcusAu wrote:
Shatterface wrote: ...
What point is she trying to make?
That there are clear differences between the sexes, whilst at the same time there are no such differences.

Or

That any differences can only be acknowledged and defined if the observer has first checked their (or should that be his?) privilege. (And sometimes not even then).

In either case it's all rather quantum.
The process of transforming testosterone into estrogen is called 'aromatisation'.

As in 'Have you seen the new Ghostbusters yet? They aromatized the shit out of it.'

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Spike13 wrote:
I had a Skyhawk. A Monza by Buick basically. Fucking biggest piece of shit car I ever owned. And that includes the $250 used 1974 Ford Pinto with bad valves that burned a quart-of-oil per tank I drove around in my first year of college.

In 12,000 miles of ownership (I'd bought it used from the Credit Union at 24K miles):

Blown head gasket.
Broken fuel pump.
Air Dam Spoiler broke off.
Door broke (hinge) welded back on.
Door broke (hinge) welded back on, again.
Door brook (hinge) welded back on, again.
Door latch broke because the door wouldn't align properly.
Interior door handles broke.
Stereo died.
Reverse Gear Safety lever improperly designed and I couldn't put it in reverse without taking the shifter knob off.
Clutch was wearing out and slipping.
Prone to over-heating.
The last straw was when the hatch back lock broke, distributing my clothes all over Interstate 5 when I was on leave.

Traded it in and wrote GM off.

Billie from Ockham

My biggest complaint about the Monza was the lack of a limited-slip diff. The 4.3 liter had a boat-load of torque, but the car was both front-heavy and prone to frame-twisting, so one tire would always break loose and make nothing but smoke. If you lifted in a corner, it was gone before you could say "this is gunna hurt" and very hard to catch. But it was freakishly fast once you got to about 50.

But I hear about all this little shit that went wrong. Mine was named Queen of Lemons for a reason.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

comhcinc wrote:I think the coverage is the same it ever was. I think what you are not seeing is people talking about it.

If there was 3 inches of rain in the UK and the trains were running ten minutes late it would be all that we are talking about.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Biggest piece of shit car I ever had was a 1982 Dodge Omni 024 hatchback. It was horribly engineered and the carburetor would suck up oil vapors, thereby clogging it up. I had to take it in almost weekly to get the carb cleaned out, but even that didn't stop the tendency to stall at every red light and stop sign. When at a red light I always had to shift into neutral and rev the engine until the light turned green. A practice which eventually made the transmission disintegrate. I ended up junking that car, after spending an obscene amount to keep it running. I hope it's being tortured by car satan in car hell.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface wrote:
comhcinc wrote:I think the coverage is the same it ever was. I think what you are not seeing is people talking about it.

If there was 3 inches of rain in the UK and the trains were running ten minutes late it would be all that we are talking about.
Isn't that every day?

Historically Louisiana being under water is pretty common. It is a big swamp.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

comhcinc wrote:Isn't that every day?
Yes, but the British capacity for being surprised by slight changes in weather is boundless.

Russians seem to cope with 17ft of snow but Britain comes to a halt when there are leaves on the line. It's like every year we discover Autumn for the first time.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

[.tweet][/tweet].[.tweet][/tweet]

Sounds like Alice Dreger has come into contact with Richard Carrier, PhD sleaze:
Sometimes straight men on Twitter start a professional conversation with me. They admire my work. They talk shop in a spirited and friendly fashion. And then they start DM’ing to talk. And then they hit on me.

A man friend of mine told me, “The problem is you have an attractive photo and you talk about sex all the time.” Uh. So I changed my photo to my rat’s, and I started talking less about my sex life and restricting myself to talking about sex research. (Too bad, though. Some of my best tweets were things like: “Sex in middle age—when you ask to be on top so you can get the FitBit credit.”)

That slowed down the problem, but it hasn’t ended it. And yeah, I know a lot of my feminist sisters will want to call this sexual harassment, but I think it’s really more like a culture clash, one that has to do with innate sex differences. Men tend to see the whole world as a safe place to look for sex. And I’m a woman who writes openly about sex, so they think I’m comfortable being solicited.
http://alicedreger.com/trolls

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

HunnyBunny wrote:

Sounds like Alice Dreger has come into contact with Richard Carrier, PhD sleaze:
Sometimes straight men on Twitter start a professional conversation with me. They admire my work. They talk shop in a spirited and friendly fashion. And then they start DM’ing to talk. And then they hit on me.

A man friend of mine told me, “The problem is you have an attractive photo and you talk about sex all the time.” Uh. So I changed my photo to my rat’s, and I started talking less about my sex life and restricting myself to talking about sex research. (Too bad, though. Some of my best tweets were things like: “Sex in middle age—when you ask to be on top so you can get the FitBit credit.”)

That slowed down the problem, but it hasn’t ended it. And yeah, I know a lot of my feminist sisters will want to call this sexual harassment, but I think it’s really more like a culture clash, one that has to do with innate sex differences. Men tend to see the whole world as a safe place to look for sex. And I’m a woman who writes openly about sex, so they think I’m comfortable being solicited.
from her blog:
I especially hate being called a stupid bitch, told I should die, and threatened with hacking and physical harm.
Sounds like the Pharyngula crew. :P , except switch bitch for shitstain or fuckwit( morePC).

Really?

Post by Really? »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:

from her blog:
I especially hate being called a stupid bitch, told I should die, and threatened with hacking and physical harm.
Sounds like the Pharyngula crew. :P , except switch bitch for shitstain or fuckwit( morePC).

Translation of the quote you isolated: "These sexist assholes won't stop calling me names, those pieces of shit. Every time I read one of the threats they direct at me, I just want to rip their heads of and hack their social media."

Billie from Ockham

Gumby wrote:Biggest piece of shit car I ever had was a 1982 Dodge Omni 024 hatchback. It was horribly engineered and the carburetor would suck up oil vapors, thereby clogging it up. I had to take it in almost weekly to get the carb cleaned out, but even that didn't stop the tendency to stall at every red light and stop sign. When at a red light I always had to shift into neutral and rev the engine until the light turned green. A practice which eventually made the transmission disintegrate. I ended up junking that car, after spending an obscene amount to keep it running. I hope it's being tortured by car satan in car hell.
Which engine? If it was the 2.2 liter, that was never meant to be run normally aspirated.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

HunnyBunny wrote:

Carrier is a PUA who thinks paying lip service to feminism will absolve him of his sins.

As for Alice Dreger, I'm not familiar, but just from reading this I like her. She's spot on about it being a culture clash, and I don't doubt it's irritating as hell to be hit on night and day. I get livid if I'm asked for change more than once on my way to the subway. "Who are these people? Do they think they're entitled to my money, or even my time?" From their perspective it's a brand new encounter and I'm just being an asshole. For me they're part of a series of a events that I think they should be aware of.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Gumby wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Jerry Coyne has cited Carrier as a credible source of the historicity of Jeebus:

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... /#comments
The commenters are actually treating carrier as a reliable scholar, with one frequent commenter (Ben Goren) touting Carrier's work as objective and fair because Bayes. Lolol.
Dicky fans are just doing Emperor's New Clothes. OHJ is word salad.

But I'm all over that thread, dissing DIcky. I have to go feed now, so enjoy!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Billie from Ockham wrote:My biggest complaint about the Monza was the lack of a limited-slip diff. The 4.3 liter had a boat-load of torque, but the car was both front-heavy and prone to frame-twisting, so one tire would always break loose and make nothing but smoke. If you lifted in a corner, it was gone before you could say "this is gunna hurt" and very hard to catch. But it was freakishly fast once you got to about 50.

But I hear about all this little shit that went wrong. Mine was named Queen of Lemons for a reason.
The car was really popular when I was in the military. Young men, sporty-looks, relatively inexpensive compared to a Camaro or TransAm and the Mustangs had gotten past the Mustang II (1978 being the last year), but were still not 'Mustangs' until 1982 and the GT. So there were six others I knew who had the car or a variant (Pontiac, Buick, Chevy) and we all had terrible problems. Every single one of us had problems. Blown head gaskets. Bad transmissions. Clutches burning out. Doors falling off (it was a design problem). The front end spoilers tearing off. Fuel pumps burning out. Just on and on and on...

Every single one of us ended up getting new cars by the time I got out in '83.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gumby wrote:Biggest piece of shit car I ever had was a 1982 Dodge Omni 024 hatchback. It was horribly engineered and the carburetor would suck up oil vapors, thereby clogging it up. I had to take it in almost weekly to get the carb cleaned out, but even that didn't stop the tendency to stall at every red light and stop sign. When at a red light I always had to shift into neutral and rev the engine until the light turned green. A practice which eventually made the transmission disintegrate. I ended up junking that car, after spending an obscene amount to keep it running. I hope it's being tortured by car satan in car hell.
Which engine? If it was the 2.2 liter, that was never meant to be run normally aspirated.
It was 1.8 or something IIRC. The 2.2 was the engine for the renamed 024 that they laughably called the new Charger.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I can really empathize with that.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

DrokkIt wrote:Today on social media:
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=584AE419
BS SJWs aside, what do people here propose is the right solution for true intersex women (e.g. this woman born with female genitalia & internal testes) in athletic competitions?

* Allow them to compete in woman's competitions and call it the day?
* Only allow them to compete in men's competitions?
* Allow fellow female competitors to shoot up testosterone to be more competitive?
* Other?

Personally, I am leaning towards the first option.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

jet_lagg wrote: Carrier is a PUA who thinks paying lip service to feminism will absolve him of his sins.
Exactly. I never got the impression he was an SJW, he just played one on FtB to further his interests - financial/sexual/whatevs.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Where we might differ in opinion, is I think Carrier really does believe using the language he uses makes his actions somehow better than the people he rails against. It's delusional sure, but I think he really believes it. Autism more than deceit. A complete asshole worthy of scorn and exile either way.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

jet_lagg wrote:Carrier is a PUA who thinks paying lip service to feminism will absolve him of his sins.

As for Alice Dreger, I'm not familiar, but just from reading this I like her. She's spot on about it being a culture clash, and I don't doubt it's irritating as hell to be hit on night and day. I get livid if I'm asked for change more than once on my way to the subway. "Who are these people? Do they think they're entitled to my money, or even my time?" From their perspective it's a brand new encounter and I'm just being an asshole. For me they're part of a series of a events that I think they should be aware of.
Dreger's book, Galileo's Middle Finger, is very good.

She's sympathetic to transgenders but does t shy away from the idea of autogynophilia as a cause: she just thinks we should be more understanding towards autogynophiles.

She is one of those regularly 'disinvited' from universities.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

For scented and the other people playing this...thing.

[youtube][/youtube]

Billie from Ockham

Gumby wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Which engine? If it was the 2.2 liter, that was never meant to be run normally aspirated.
It was 1.8 or something IIRC. The 2.2 was the engine for the renamed 024 that they laughably called the new Charger.
Oh, then you had the 1.7 liter VW engine. Also a piece of shit.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

deLurch wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:Today on social media:
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=584AE419
BS SJWs aside, what do people here propose is the right solution for true intersex women (e.g. this woman born with female genitalia & internal testes) in athletic competitions?

* Allow fellow female competitors to shoot up testosterone to be more competitive?
* Other?

Here is the thing, they already thought up a solution. Put her and anyone else on testosterone blockers and there you go. When that was the rule she wasn't dominating.

Mr. X, Indeed

Post by Mr. X, Indeed »

Gumby wrote:
The 1.7L VW engine. Never heard anything good about it. It was adapted from the 1.5L Rabbit engine and finished by Chrysler in the US.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Carrier is a PUA who thinks paying lip service to feminism will absolve him of his sins.

Dreger's book, Galileo's Middle Finger, is very good.

She's sympathetic to transgenders but does t shy away from the idea of autogynophilia as a cause: she just thinks we should be more understanding towards autogynophiles.

She is one of those regularly 'disinvited' from universities.
That book is on my list to read. Seen her in a couple of interviews and I've liked her.

Mr. X, Indeed

Post by Mr. X, Indeed »

:nin:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

comhcinc wrote:For scented and the other people playing this...thing.

[youtube][/youtube]
At this point people are exploring legal options for class action lawsuits. In the EU they have laws against what Sean Murray and Hello Games did. In short, you can't imply/market features of a commercial object (such as a game, car, toaster, whatever) unless they're actually there.

So he made a lot of grandiose assertions such as you could meet people in game. You could engage in PvP. You could get ganked by human players. All of which directly imply multiplayer. Which isn't in the game. And there are multiple other features not in the game. And, at no time, did he walk back any of those claims.

So it might get interesting if people do more than saber rattling and hot air threats. Don't know yet and, ultimately, don't care. I didn't waste my money on it and I get a lot of schadenfreude from all the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth from the ex-fanboys who've had to eat a lot of crow over it. I mean, the hype was too good to be true.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

For Meyers, an enemy can become a friend when they say something you like.

http://i.imgur.com/35T5JSW.png

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tribble wrote:So it might get interesting if people do more than saber rattling and hot air threats. Don't know yet and, ultimately, don't care. I didn't waste my money on it and I get a lot of schadenfreude from all the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth from the ex-fanboys who've had to eat a lot of crow over it. I mean, the hype was too good to be true.

I was never a hardcore gamer and I only kinda keep up with this stuff. It is reminding me a lot of Fable when it came out.

Btw am I the only person I know who is excited for a new Civilzation game?

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

The late 70's into the late eighties was a target rich area for peice of shit cars.
The big three were dealing with environmental and safety regs as well as adapting to new construction materials/ methods.

From Cadillacs with aluminum engines and cylinder sleeves to experiments with converted gas to Diesel engines... Your decision on what to buy could be a aggravating and costly one.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Spike13 wrote:The late 70's into the late eighties was a target rich area for peice of shit cars.
The big three were dealing with environmental and safety regs as well as adapting to new construction materials/ methods.

From Cadillacs with aluminum engines and cylinder sleeves to experiments with converted gas to Diesel engines... Your decision on what to buy could be a aggravating and costly one.
Chrysler Laser anyone. Or are you too sensortive :think:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

deLurch wrote: BS SJWs aside, what do people here propose is the right solution for true intersex women (e.g. this woman born with female genitalia & internal testes) in athletic competitions?

* Other?

Give everyone a medal.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Spike13 wrote:The late 70's into the late eighties was a target rich area for peice of shit cars.

Wasn't just the big three.

I had an 82 VW Rabbit that was perfect in every way except that it had a mechanical fuel injection system that gave me constant headaches.
Now I did own the car in 2007 but I was only the third owner and the other two had been in the same family. It had always had the same issue.

Btw for anyone who follows my twitter shit that VW is my profile picture.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/52 ... rokevw.jpg

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Give everyone a medal.
How about a Surley?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Now that I think about it, that car could be any even number between 82 and 88. I don't remember at this point.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:

Chrysler Laser anyone. Or are you too sensortive :think:
Back in the day my chief engineer had the Dodge Daytona version. It was his first new car.

Those were trying times.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

deLurch wrote: BS SJWs aside, what do people here propose is the right solution for true intersex women (e.g. this woman born with female genitalia & internal testes) in athletic competitions?

* Other?

The lords of the olymics will never sully their hands with this.

I honestly think that the scenario I outlined will be what happens. A massive uptick in female athletes caught on performance enhancers.

Records will fall in record number, followed by Floyd Landis/Lance Armstrong style shit shows.

Again, why fund all that money into women's events if it's clear they have no hope of winning.

This is going to be a dark era in women's sports.