Old subthreads
Really?

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Really? »

comhcinc wrote:
screwtape wrote:
Being a good parent, I bought my son a T-shirt with this emblazoned on it:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Mr_41ebb9_783705.jpg

I have to say that those blades, which can still be bought and used in antique GEM razors, would be better used in paint scrapers. I'll stick with my straight razors, which allow me not to worry about forearm anatomy when I wish to do the deed.

When you go to prison in Alabama they give you a pack of 50 double sided razor blades. They will give you more if you ask and they do not keep up with what is happening with them.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/yceuw.vqwsp/v/ ... BLEG-2.jpg

I can't pretend that it didn't make me uncomfortable.
That is odd. Feminists keep telling the the government cares whether men live or die.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Any Poles here?
http://www.warsawvoice.pl/WVpage/pages/ ... 36354/news

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:Any Poles here?

Just the big one in my pants sweat heart.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

I see you know how to talk to a man.

http://www.resurrectionvintage.com/blog ... MG0004.jpg

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

You are too early for that.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

deLurch wrote:
Clarence wrote:De Nile isn't just a river in Egypt, I see.
I myself heard anti-white comments and incitement in the riots in Milwaukee. I wonder if you did?
I think CNN did the right thing in not publicizing her call for violence and destruction.

What they did wrong was mischaracterizing what she said, and editing it to be more acceptable. I do have to say, I am not 100% sure what the correct approach is.
* Ignore those statements completely
* Ignore her completely
* Announce the type of statements she made (but that would only lead to curiosity of the public in the internet age as to what she said exactly, which might lead to some people acting on her encouragement).

Broadcasting her enticement to violence and criminal damage could have poor consequences.
Since she's not a public spokeswoman or authority figure they could have ignored her completely and nothing of value could have been lost. There's no need for people to know what the sister of a person who was shot by the police thinks about riots against the police, just like there's no need to know what a rambling angry man in a bar thinks about it.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Kirbmarc wrote:Since she's not a public spokeswoman or authority figure they could have ignored her completely and nothing of value could have been lost. There's no need for people to know what the sister of a person who was shot by the police thinks about riots against the police, just like there's no need to know what a rambling angry man in a bar thinks about it.
Family reactions are common. Especially if they are speaking publicly to a crowd of people.

I guess reactions would sway between plain grief, to anger at the person/organization that shot them. About the only unsual reaction would be, "Yup, saw that one coming. He/she was always up to no good."

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Really? wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I used to like The Atlantic, but there's no explaining why they thought this was worth publishing:
http://archive.is/34bFD
Americans are too stupid to read short stories. Americans are too stupid to read long, well-researched pieces about how Americans are stupid. Americans are too stupid to care about anything important. So they must write about...let me see what the piece says...

Oh, god. That the fucking constellations are sexist. Jesus fucking Christ. It's not even a well-researched piece. Just another vomitblog about shit. And it's borrowed from "Aeon Magazine." Fucking cheapskates. At least the Atlantic is getting {reamed} in the comments.

<snip>
Hah - the comments

Worth reading.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

sp0tlight wrote:(Unrelated: Man, the Airplane is still one of the best comedies/parodies)
You don't say! We watch it regularly and always find something new to laugh about.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
sp0tlight wrote:(Unrelated: Man, the Airplane is still one of the best comedies/parodies)
You don't say! We watch it regularly and always find something new to laugh about.
Best is Hot Shots 2 IMHO

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

deLurch wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Since she's not a public spokeswoman or authority figure they could have ignored her completely and nothing of value could have been lost. There's no need for people to know what the sister of a person who was shot by the police thinks about riots against the police, just like there's no need to know what a rambling angry man in a bar thinks about it.
Family reactions are common. Especially if they are speaking publicly to a crowd of people.

I guess reactions would sway between plain grief, to anger at the person/organization that shot them. About the only unsual reaction would be, "Yup, saw that one coming. He/she was always up to no good."
Yep, and that's predictable, too, and not really that newsworthy. "Sister of man shot by police thinks the police is to blame and approves of anti-police riots if they don't happen in her neighborhood". What a shocker!

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Our current gubiment is pretty much in love with any and all laws that can limit the speech. We have quite a few of those, and PiS, leading by the idea of "political history" adds new things to it.

Saying "Polish Death Camps" shows you're uneducated. But not "put me in jail"-uneducated.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

rayshul wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Best is Hot Shots 2 IMHO
Add Top Secret to it, and you have a trifecta of "sit my ass infront of screen, *insert beer here*"

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

More seriously: does the public at large really need to know what the family members of a man shot by the police think about what happened? I think that showing family reactions is exploitative and not really newsworthy. Some feelings are best kept private, especially since they don't provide the audience with any useful information. Covering family reactions helps to get audience or sell copies of your paper, of course, so that's why media do it.

It's all fine as long they don't manipulate them: paper have to sell and media have to get audience, and objective reporting of useful information doesn't sell. Bit in this case, if they really wanted to avoid fueling hatred they could have decided not to report the words of someone who was understandably motivated by grief and anger and probably not thinking very lucidly.

If you care about ethics you can afford to lose some clickbait emotional content for once. Instead they decided to keep the clickbait but manipulate her words to fit into a new narrative. Did they do it deliberately? Did they simply start covering her words and then realized that she wasn't calling for moderation but inciting people to burn the suburbs? It's hard to tell. What is pretty clear is that what happened has cast some heavy doubt on their practices. If they've done it once they can do it again, and maybe next time nobody will catch them.

Bad form, CNN.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

VickyCaramel wrote: ~You don't know what transpired before the word "nigger" was used, the cyclist could have been threatening to rape the dude's children with a broken bottle for all you know. You are in no position to judge moral equivalence of lack thereof.

Does the work "nigger" trump all other considerations? Are you using the progressive stack because the guy in the car could be an a transgendered asian with tourette syndrome.
Vicky, I have to doubt whether you've even ever cycled along any roads shouting rape threats at random people in cars. Given all the difficulty of being heard you have a very short time window between getting your victim's attention and the car passing by. Not much more than a second. And you have to shout very loudly and slowly enough to enunciate clearly to get through the car door. It's always good to add gruesome rhetorical flourishes with your rape threats, such as the "broken bottle" detail, of course, I like it in principle, It's good - but it's not really considered practical by most of the recognised masters of the bicycle-to-car rape threat scene.

As I was repeatedly told when I was six years old by my wise old Granny:

"He will sing a tearful song
Him whose rape threat is too long.
We want to live long and happy
So we keep our rape threats short and snappy!"

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

fuzzy wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:"Check your privilage"

Does this mean "check it out - review, think about it"

Or

"Check, stop, you are defined by your privilage and you must cease, desist, shut up and stop thinking polluted thoughts"
http://7c6084b8d8abb1234a0e-5cd858dd44a ... 816BB3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/a94C3J8.jpg
Thank you.

And that goes double for my fellow commuters.

Niceties aside.

What the fuck does the saying in question actually mean?

Is it an American shut the hell up or a politer "review"?

Does anyone know? Is there an answer?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

http://www.warsawvoice.pl/WVpage/pages/ ... 36354/news
I'll ask the erstwhile daughter in law.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Rebecca Watson's painfully unfunny standup act at wootstock has garnered 14 upvotes and 13 downvotes and the uploader is unhappy:
So all of our w00tstock 8.0 videos have ZERO dislikes. Except for this one. But yeah, sexism isn't a thing.

Do us a favor, if you're going to click dislike on this, go ahead and unsubscribe to our channel. You don't deserve any more w00tstock or anything else we produce. You won't be missed.
All she said was "guys don't do that". :cry:
If perchance, I wanted to provide my informed vote .... what link would I use ...... :whistle:

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Brive1987 wrote:I'll ask the erstwhile daughter in law.
You don't have to. It's true. http://www.politico.eu/article/poland-t ... i-germany/

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Wonder if Watson will ever get a new material. It's like a kid that peaked in High School, only she peaked at D+ level.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

sp0tlight wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:I'll ask the erstwhile daughter in law.
You don't have to. It's true. http://www.politico.eu/article/poland-t ... i-germany/
Great, so she's the rule that negates any exception.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

OMG OMG w00tthing was sketchfest eh? A comedy exercise.

I seriously didn't realise that Watson was trying to be funny outside her usual defective snark. So all that awkward BS was a serious attempt at comedy?

OMG.

I never.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Here's an article on Politico I find rather inaccurate: Swiss far-right warn against ‘creeping’ EU

It's about how Christoph Blocher, a former Swiss minister of the Swiss People's Party doesn't want any more close ties between Switzerland and the EU. The article calls the Swiss People's Party a "far-right" party, though, which is laughable. The Swiss People's Party is a right-wing party, but it's the largest party in the Swiss Federal Assembly, and if it's "far-right" then the US Republicans are downright Nazis.

Its positions are populist, anti-immigration, anti-EU and pro-direct democracy and federalism. I've never voted for them (I'm more sympathetic to the more centrist and libertarian FDP) but I'd never call them a "far-right" party. Their old name was Democratic Union of the Centre, and while they have drifted more to the right in these last few years they're still a far cry from what "far right" means in the UK or France or the US.

They're mostly anti-authoritarian (except when it comes to drug laws and some nanny state policies on censorship of "obscenity"). They don't have a past of being pro-Nazi or of supporting anti-Semite policies. They support democracy and autonomy of the cantons (no French-style grandeur here). While they're not too keen on immigration compared to people like Donald Trump they're champions of acceptance and tolerance (they heavily campaigned against mass immigration, but they're not proposing to build walls around Switzerland or to expel all Muslims).

Pretty much the only time they've proposed a policy which was unambiguously "far-right" was when they support the idea of a "Greater Switzerland" which gave the option of some areas of Italy, France and Germany to join Switzerland to "make Switzerland Greater". That was a nationalistic, stupid proposal, but it was done mostly in jest and as a reply to Muammar Gaddafi's threat to dissolve Switzerland and give its land to its neighboring countries.

Blocher's ideas for rejection the "creeping EU" are also not due to "far-right" policies, but to some considerations about Swiss autonomy:
Christoph Blocher wrote:Foreign laws, foreign judges. That is a very fundamental decision we have to make, along the lines of the 1992 decision on entering the European Economic Area and then the EU
You can agree or disagree with him, but it's clear that his concern is about the loss of democratic control of laws through referendums and direct democracy, not about some fascist or Nazi ideas about enacting discriminatory laws.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:I don't support the death penalty, and anyway times are different now, so I think that permanent loss of citizenship and/or permanent exile are warranted in the case of supporting and creating propaganda for the Islamic State, since we're at war with it.
I think there's the technical problem that IS is not a recognised state anywhere in the west, and as such we can neither be formally at war with them (our bombing them is just assistance in quelling an insurrection in Iraq and Syria), nor expel people to it- there's no such thing as an IS passport.

feathers

Post by feathers »

DrokkIt wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Move over Michelle Jenneke, a new Pit sweetheart?
[.youtube][/youtube]
Too much self-mutiliation.
Awwww, she looks like half the girls I know.
Question is, upper half or lower half?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Clarence wrote:For instance, how big a problem is domestic violence, really?
Something like 1000 women and 500 men die of it each year in the USA.
This despite all the laws and shelters and gun rights and blah blah.
But deaths are not a very good indicator for domestic violence, as in most cases it's about beating, kicking, shoving, threatening with knives, locking out of the house and so on. If you want an indication of that, you should start with the number of times the police gets called in a single weekend for this sort of thing. And then realise the whopping majority of cases never gets reported.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
If anyone wants to see another Disaster Spoof movie from the same era - check out 'The Big Bus' (1976).

I saw it quite a while ago - but from youtube clips I think it still holds up.

[youtube][/youtube]

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

comhcinc wrote:[
When you go to prison in Alabama they give you a pack of 50 double sided razor blades. They will give you more if you ask and they do not keep up with what is happening with them.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/yceuw.vqwsp/v/ ... BLEG-2.jpg

I can't pretend that it didn't make me uncomfortable.
There was a time when such blades were used in one of these:
gillette-prison-razor.jpg
(53.8 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
The razor could only be opened with the key (which was not given to the inmate), thus keeping the blade safe and preventing it being mounted in a toothbrush handle for non-shaving purposes.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Jan Steen wrote:
Social media giants had the last word on Anjem Choudary’s online posts, even after he was arrested for inviting support for Islamic State.

British authorities made repeated efforts to get his Twitter posts and YouTube videos taken down after an oath of allegiance to the Caliphate surfaced online with the preacher’s name on it, jurors at the Old Bailey were told during his trial in July. (...)
Choudary currently has more than 32,000 followers on Twitter and his account can still be viewed online, despite requests for its removal in August last year and the following March.

The officer argued the account showed support for Islamic State contrary to section 12 of the Terrorism Act 2000 and breached Twitter rules on “threatening or promoting terrorism”, the court heard.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/ ... cial-media

If only Choudary had ridiculed ('harassed') a few SJWs; his Twitter account would have been toast long ago. Good to see that Twitter's got their priorities right.
Or was critical of Ghostbusters and Leslie Jones.
Or critical of Black Lives Matter.

It is obvious that social media giants cater to the trivial complaints of SJWs far more urgently than say, people who are targeted with threats from Islamists. Twitter is terrified of a SJW mob getting onto its back. Not so much groups such as ex-Muslims (CEMB) who have to deal with all kinds of shit from Islamists (and Islamist enablers like CJ Werleman and Nathan Lean) all the time on social media. Twitter also allows exposed paedophiles to justify themselves on their platform. Just as long as the paedophile self-describes as an "edgelord", or has transitioned, or belongs to the SJW in group. Paedophilia is OK when they meet this criteria. Twitter is also fine with BLM members promoting, justifying, and endorsing violence.

There is a phenomenon where groups traditionally seen as oppressed now have an extraordinary level of privilege given to them in compensation within certain spheres. These spheres include academia and in the media. This now means, that while the black community face more oppression and discrimination generally, in the spheres of academia and the media, they actually have extra privilege. For example, Melissa Click was amusingly fired very easily because she was white (although as a SJW, she shouldn't be complaining!), whereas black academics with dodgy views, especially on Jews and "Zionists", are given a free pass. It is much more difficult to fire an academic who is a PoC. That is privilege. If Melissa Click was a PoC, she would not have been fired. Trust me.

It goes to show that privilege is a rather nebulous attribute, dished out in a haphazard fashion depending on the circles you move in. It is still very true that a black kid in a ghetto is at the bottom of the privilege league, but they can quickly jump up the list by getting a job in academia, or heading some kind of SJW protest group. The latter means they are highly privileged when it come to the media scrutinising them, or not, as usually is the case.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

MarcusAu wrote:If anyone wants to see another Disaster Spoof movie from the same era - check out 'The Big Bus' (1976).

Oooh, never heard about that one.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

piginthecity wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: ~You don't know what transpired before the word "nigger" was used, the cyclist could have been threatening to rape the dude's children with a broken bottle for all you know. You are in no position to judge moral equivalence of lack thereof.

Does the work "nigger" trump all other considerations? Are you using the progressive stack because the guy in the car could be an a transgendered asian with tourette syndrome.
Vicky, I have to doubt whether you've even ever cycled along any roads shouting rape threats at random people in cars. Given all the difficulty of being heard you have a very short time window between getting your victim's attention and the car passing by. Not much more than a second. And you have to shout very loudly and slowly enough to enunciate clearly to get through the car door. It's always good to add gruesome rhetorical flourishes with your rape threats, such as the "broken bottle" detail, of course, I like it in principle, It's good - but it's not really considered practical by most of the recognised masters of the bicycle-to-car rape threat scene.

As I was repeatedly told when I was six years old by my wise old Granny:

"He will sing a tearful song
Him whose rape threat is too long.
We want to live long and happy
So we keep our rape threats short and snappy!"

[youtube]AISx7rIr-HA[/youtube]

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

SD, how goes the new gig?

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

fuzzy wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I used to like The Atlantic, but there's no explaining why they thought this was worth publishing:
Any article that starts by quoting a poem is guaranteed to be shit.
[[[.] Caroline Herschel, a 19th-century, German-born astronomer who discovered eight comets and three nebulae, and drew praise from the King of Prussia and London’s Royal Astronomical Society. Yet Caroline remained obscure compared with her brother, William, who discovered the planet Uranus.
because eight comets and three nebulae are more important than a local planet
Not to mention discovering infrared radiation, pioneering new techniques in telescope construction, being one of the most well-regarded composers in England at the time...

But yeah, William Herschel is totally more famous than he should be. :roll:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Tribble wrote:About 15 years ago some researchers put it to the test. They found there were two kinds of stereotypes -- approximations and bigotry. Mosts approximation stereotypes view the group more positively than it is. For example if black teen pregnancy was 20% and the people were asked what they thought the rate was, they came in consistently under, usually about half. OTOH, those rooted in bigotry found the world view to be much, much worse than it was.

Anyway, it was interesting.
Are you talking about Susan Fiske's stuff?
Don't remember. It was the early 2000's when I used to participate in the San Francisco Utne Reader forums.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Any article that starts by quoting a poem is guaranteed to be shit.
Caroline Herschel, a 19th-century, German-born astronomer who discovered eight comets and three nebulae, and drew praise from the King of Prussia and London’s Royal Astronomical Society. Yet Caroline remained obscure compared with her brother, William, who discovered the planet Uranus.
She deserves a poem though, or at least a limerick. Something along these lines:

Nobody has ever built a shrine
for the astronomer Herschel Caroline
her brother discovered Uranus
and is remembered by every ignoramus
while she's the lesser of their bloodline

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

deLurch wrote:
Clarence wrote:De Nile isn't just a river in Egypt, I see.
I myself heard anti-white comments and incitement in the riots in Milwaukee. I wonder if you did?
I think CNN did the right thing in not publicizing her call for violence and destruction.

What they did wrong was mischaracterizing what she said, and editing it to be more acceptable. I do have to say, I am not 100% sure what the correct approach is.
* Ignore those statements completely
* Ignore her completely
* Announce the type of statements she made (but that would only lead to curiosity of the public in the internet age as to what she said exactly, which might lead to some people acting on her encouragement).

Broadcasting her enticement to violence and criminal damage could have poor consequences.
Tell the truth or say nothing at all. What they did was to lie via omission then support the lie with the rest of their narrative while infantilizing their adult viewership. Then claimed 'accident' when they got caught in their blatant manipulation.

I see no easy way out for CNN. What they did was, essentially, corrupt.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

MarcusAu wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
If anyone wants to see another Disaster Spoof movie from the same era - check out 'The Big Bus' (1976).

[youtube][/youtube]
"We're breaking wind at 90!"

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

Q: What do you get when you cross an Asian SJW with Steve Shives ???

A: BROCKED !!!

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

MarcusAu wrote: If anyone wants to see another Disaster Spoof movie from the same era - check out 'The Big Bus' (1976).

[youtube][/youtube]
That was a spoof? Hell, I walked to school for months after that one. And where was my trigger warning, shitlord?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

feathers wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:I don't support the death penalty, and anyway times are different now, so I think that permanent loss of citizenship and/or permanent exile are warranted in the case of supporting and creating propaganda for the Islamic State, since we're at war with it.
I think there's the technical problem that IS is not a recognised state anywhere in the west, and as such we can neither be formally at war with them (our bombing them is just assistance in quelling an insurrection in Iraq and Syria), nor expel people to it- there's no such thing as an IS passport.
ISIS meets the criteria for Belligerent Entity status in all the ways al-Qaeda does not.

Billie from Ockham

Tribble wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:Are you talking about Susan Fiske's stuff?
Don't remember. It was the early 2000's when I used to participate in the San Francisco Utne Reader forums.
Well, if it was, much of the evidence turned out to be mere regression to the mean and completely uninteresting.

I do a demo of something related to this in grad stats. I have everyone "read my mind" and guess a number between 1 and 100. Then I put all the people who guessed 1-50 in one group and everyone who guess 51-100 in the other. (One of the groups has obvious signs of ESP because the number was 25; the other does not.) Then I have everyone in the ESP group fondle a "magic frog" and then pass it to the other group top molest. To prove that the magic frog has equalized their levels of ESP, I then do another mind-reading test and we calculate the average error in each group. With a class of a decent size, it never fails.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

sp0tlight wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:If anyone wants to see another Disaster Spoof movie from the same era - check out 'The Big Bus' (1976).

Oooh, never heard about that one.
In 1976, I laughed a lot. It's completely silly.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
fuzzy wrote: because eight comets and three nebulae are more important than a local planet
Not to mention discovering infrared radiation, pioneering new techniques in telescope construction, being one of the most well-regarded composers in England at the time...

But yeah, William Herschel is totally more famous than he should be. :roll:
Caroline Herschel would've discovered those instead of her brother -- and probably faster, too, using wymmynz ways of knowing -- had she not been driven away from science by Teh Patriarchy!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
LEILA MCNEILL is a writer and the editor in chief of Lady Science.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I tried, but it seems you truly can't make this shit up:
Leila A. McNeill, Editor in Chief

Leila is an independent researcher with a focus on women and gender in the history of science. Her previous research has been based on popular medical texts for women, midwifery, and women's ways of knowing in Imperial Germany. Currently, she is working on literature and science in the 19th century and the gendered separation between public and elite science. She holds an MA in Literary Studies and an MA in the History of Science, Technology, and Medicine. Additionally, Leila is a curriculum developer and educator for race- and gender-based violence prevention education for youth.
http://www.ladyscience.com/team/

And seriously, you want people to take women scientists seriously, but your image of a 'lady scientist' looks like it came from a crappy children's book?
shitty_lady_scientist_drawing.jpg
(314.24 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
WHY NO SHOES?!

Dave

Post by Dave »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: WHY NO SHOES?!
Internalized patriarchy.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

WHY NO KERNING?

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:WHY NO KERNING?
Bah, kerning is for right-brained, faux logic, males. Letter spacing is all about freedom.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:I see you know how to talk to a man.

http://www.resurrectionvintage.com/blog ... MG0004.jpg
Wrong day mate. Today's Wally Wood Wednesday.

http://i.imgur.com/agHZzth.png

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Spike13 wrote:SD, how goes the new gig?
Pretty good. Matches my expectations-- It's similar to being a PA on a movie/tv/advertisement shoot: Arrive at daybreak, dont know anyone there, lots of union workman activity, so I dont know which crew Im with. My only contact isnt onsite. I only recieved a single email saying Im hired, which didnt even tell me the name of the company. I guess it matches the email address... but who knows... that could be a hiring-firm. Email just lists a street intersection as gathering point-- a spot, which includes all of Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Versace store, etc. I find someone involved, let him know Im there-- but dont want to interrupt what he's doing. 2 minutes later he announces he's off to another jobsite. Points out a woman with an impossible name... "you'll be reporting to her today."

She looks frazzled. Apparently she flew in redeye from big project in another city (country?) May not know she's my only contact, or why Im there, or that no one has briefed me anything. I know the last thing she wants is to make me a priority. 2-way radios are being issued. I take one... correctly figuring my role is to be available when it squawks my name & not in the way, when it doesnt. I dressed up a little because First Day... so I look too In Charge. Random workmen ask me boss-questions. (button down shortsleeve plaid shirt, dad shorts, ballcap like a lady golfer would wear.) Everyone else is in black t-shirts.

A couple carpenter-type guys introduce themselves. An office assistant chick walks them around the space describing lavish fountains, floors, marble walls-- to be installed, with printouts of cgi mock-ups. I worry that Im not qualified. Or that I look presumptuous adding-myself to the tour/ when Im actually a much lower lackey. I hear gossip about bomb sniffing dogs because some person involved in the real estate has ties to ISIS... I jokingly offer to bring in 'my guy' to do that. Show a pic of my dog on my phone. Assistant chick deadpans a slow nod-- either she really thought i was dumb enough to think my dog was qualified/ or she thought my dog would work fine. Then she asks if there's 'anything we can do' about a giant pillar holding up the entire building. I mutter 'jet fuel cant melt steel beams', but only to myself.

I learn that guys i was supposed to be helping-- decided not to come in. I offer to go home & return next day. Supervisor s are wary because Im hired for a 12 hour dayrate & dont want to pay me for no work-- nor are they comfortable with my offer to not charge for today. So I let offer slide & settle in to a day of Hurry Up & Wait. When trucks arrive, I want to help unload, just to break tedium. But electricians unload electrician truck, lighting unloads lighting. I dont do much but shuffle pylons. Finally I get to lift a bunch of police barricades leftover from gay parade. After much sweating, the cop barricade truck randomly arrives & takes the barricades... rendering my work moot. the cops dress like workers in shorts & t-shirts, but with pisols on their belts. i know a cop who says that's his dream assignment-- barricade crew. no dealing with criminals.

Another guy at my level doesnt talk much... he's clearly wary of me encroaching on his gig. Which largely consists of wearing Oakley wraparound glasses & work boots/ to look the part of a worker... while sitting in the seat of an inert forklift. Its just a big cushy chair/ but it looks like a work machine. He also has all the shady nooks outside the building identified. The basement is full of enormous moving shelves, like in a college library. Im assigned to figure-out how to dismantle them. I make a step by step photo essay & take one apart, down to the gears, with only a multitool. Not trying to over-acheive-- just going crazy with boredom. Finally, in final hours people are so fried from being on-standby/ doing nothing... they start to warm up. One guy downloads Tinder, just to pass the time. So I give him Tinder tips & help pick profile photos. I find a cache of high-end graffiti spraypaint, from a previous event in the space, which I claim.

I cant name the uber-client, but it's a big fancy-fahnsay fashion name. I dont go back for a few days. Will be curious how much gets built, by then. In art galleries we put on similar productions, but Im expected to always be working... not all these specialized niche crews.

Day was sweaty, so I weighed in under 190 lbs afterwars, down a total of 33 lbs.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:You know, if that full URL stuff catches on, Scented will have nothing else to do but give NMS advice.

Like it's a bad thing.
Hey there. I'm too busy to do much but vanity search myself here now with NMS and all, so what's this about a full url thing? And is some advice wanted? Any chance I have to talk nonstop about it is welcome, so ask away!

Omg, some of the planets are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since I finally got the graphics working (card was the wrong one for my computer, but I found a workaround online to use my old one despite being an old openGL), Steam says I've been in No Man's Sky for 53.6 hours so far! I can't stop. And I'm taking it slow with no rush to the center of the first galaxy, so who knows how long this will last.

I'm in there as Opal Cruder since I was going to use a new name for NMS, and that one is an anagram of "procedural". Then I wanted to go with Scented Nectar again, but Steam makes you play the game as the account you bought it under.

So, how's it going on Earth here? I'm only home to this planet for a visit, and then I have to get back to some things out in whatever solar system I'm in. :)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Steersman wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
Dang! And I too thought some part of my oeuvre might be immortalized. ;-) But have fun - do check in periodically with travelogues and tales of distant suns. :-)
I would love to immortalize you in NMS!!! You are one of my favourite people here. ...
Gosh, gee-willickers. Thanks. :-)
Scented Nectar wrote:I need some hints though. A sea filled planet would fit in good with your seafaring avatar, but that's all I can think of. Do you have any favourite weather conditions or colours or anything like that?
That would definitely be nice, although the "seafaring avatar" is a bit of a play on words relative to the science of cybernetics - my claim to fame and fortune such as it is:
The term cybernetics stems from κυβερνήτης (kybernētēs) "steersman, governor, pilot, or rudder". As with the ancient Greek pilot, independence of thought is important in cybernetics. Cybernetics is a broad field of study, but the essential goal of cybernetics is to understand and define the functions and processes of systems that have goals and that participate in circular, causal chains that move from action to sensing to comparison with desired goal, and again to action.
Haven't the foggiest idea how you might integrate some of those aspects into a "sea filled planet", but it might be kind of cool if you did so. Bit of an inside joke, kind of like "Rayshul's Perfection" planet, and the flower you were thinking of as an emblem for it. :-)

But, somewhat apropos of which, I had been reading On Stormy Seas - written, as it happens, by an old aquaintance - that described the voyages of discovery by Captain George Vancouver, and which you might be interested in. What was particularly fascinating, and which might be relevant to the exploration mode you seem to be favouring, was the sense of wonder at new territories that were never-before-seen by non-natives, and the process of naming them for friends, patrons, politicians, and regents.
The Korvax are the scientist race. The other two are traders and warriors. The Korvax would definitely be the ones most suited to the definition of cybernetics by both the common 'robot' definition and the one above. They are not a lifeform but an electronic shell (maybe they are somewhere remote? or maybe they are secretly the ancient Atlas race? who knows, don't change that Bat-channel!), so both robots and understanders/definers of systems. Anyways, if I can find a sea filled planet in a Korvax-run solar system, I will name it "Stormy Seas of Steersman". :)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
feathers wrote:
ISIS meets the criteria for Belligerent Entity status in all the ways al-Qaeda does not.
It might get recognized.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dave wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: WHY NO SHOES?!
Internalized patriarchy.
But she IS wearing socks. Unlike Einstein, hint, hint!

Billie from Ockham

Those looked more like hospital no-slip booties than socks (to me).

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Service Dog wrote: I cant name the uber-client, but it's a big fancy-fahnsay fashion name.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fxC_m0sUsUA/T ... ture+1.png

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Skeptic_Duh wrote:Scented - some tips for NMS

Been playing for about 30 hours - so take them as you will.

1. Stay on your starting planet as long as you can, find upgrades for your multi-tool, your suit, and ship.
1a. Concentrate on your multi-tool for mining first, then suit, then ship.
2a. If you go to an outpost or something larger, they sometimes offer for sale a larger slot multi-tool - but talk to the alien first, sometimes they give you one if you answer questions correctly (learn their lingo - it helps out) - you can always back out of convo's to come back, once you pick something - that is it for that alien. I saved 175K credits by talking first.

2. Look for drop pods - they upgrade your suit storage. This is key - need storage to get credits - first one is free, after that - the price increase 10K per slot. :P

3. Recipes can be found everywhere - seek them out. They become very helpful as you progress.

4. Follow the Atlas... :geek:

5. Beware pirates, but if you die, go back to your grave to get your loot - but any progress not saved is lost (so save often).

6. Some fauna comes out only at night, and some only during the day. Sometimes at certain times (sun setting - etc...) - makes it fun to find them. Some flying fauna is too high to scan - shoot them down and scan the corpse. :dance:

7. Dont worry about upgrading your ship till you learn new tech to put in them - you cant transfer between them.

8. If you trade in your multitool or ship - deconstruct the tech - so you can keep the materials. Speaking of materials - always keep Plutonium, Carbon, Titanium with you - you will need it (charge your multitool with carbon - ship with plutonium, Titanium for shields)

9. When placing tech in your tool/ship/suit - put similar ones next to each other for bonuses. You can tell when you do, they will all be highlighted in a certain color. Sometimes - you will have to destroy tech to place them in a better location.

10. Don't rush - explore - the center of the galaxy will still be there.

So far, I have a 24 slot multi-tool, a 31 slot ship (with better shields/controls) and a 30 slot suit. With 2 mil credits in the bank. (spent about 15 mil so far (suit upgrades/ship purchase)

Suit has underwater breathing/toxin protections/heat/cold/extra stamina/health/jumpjet.

Multi-tool has max cooling/mining/weapons - max scan.
Ship is in the process of being battle ready.

Can understand the Vy'keen enough to be an ally to them - and lucked out being on a temperate planet for the start.

I fully explored my starting planet - and was awarded 250K for doing it.

Have fun and if you have any other questions - ask!
Well, I've got 53.6 hours in now, so most of this I know. Plus, I was so prepared after backseat driving a bunch of streamers who played before me, that I was over-prepared. :)

1. I'm not in any rush at all. I stayed on my first planet for quite a long time. The only one I didn't stay long on so far, was one with sentinels described as "frenzied". I simply stepped out of my ship and began visor analyzing stuff, and suddenly red angry sentinels were after me and calling for back up! I dindu nuffin! Really! I didn't even mine or kill or break into any secure places! Anyways, I got out of there quick. :)

2. I LOOOOVE those things! I get a new exosuit upgrade every chance I get.

3. I've got so many recipes for stuff, they are coming out my alien ass! Especially for my multitool. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry shelter I come across has a dispenser for new ones.

4. Absolutely. How could I not?

5. So far, I've only died once, and it was on a planet. I had a very recent restore, so I just went back to that. My strategy for avoiding space pirates is working out very well. I have no interest in fighting - just exploring, making some upgrade/ship money, and finding out the unfolding story. My strategy is this: I just put all my valuables in my exosuit whenever I'm in space. My ship has nothing there for pirates to scan. I also sell all things on the same planets I mine them on. I don't give a shit about market prices, just here's a bunch of stuff Mr Alien, and I'll take whatever wad of units you want to give me). While on the planets, I fill up my ship and take stuff to the planetside galactic market terminals, but in space only my exosuit contains anything valuable. Also, I'm not going for any of those options to rescue ships or to break into secure facilities. I almost did the latter once, but attracted sentinel attention before I could get in and ran away like the law abiding chicken that I am. Still have to be ready to fight though, and I have had to kill the odd deranged animal or two. There might be something special waiting at the secured places though - I forget from the streams I saw, so the next really lax or passive sentinel planet I find, I'll take out my boltcaster and do some damage to those steel doors.

6. If you're into collecting the bonuses for finding all "records" animals, one streamer had a good sounding idea. I don't know if it worked or not, but in case one of his missing discoveries was a scavenger, he killed a couple animals and then waited nearby to see if anything came out to eat them.

7. I'm taking my time with ship upgrades. So far, I'm only on my second one. It's one of those lopsided weirdo ones, which I suspect will gradually upgrade to being more explorer oriented. Sean Murray said that the small symmetrical ones are fighters, and I figure the bulky squared ones are traders, so that leaves the lopsided ones to be explorers. Maybe the extra parts will someday unlock to become cloaking devices or something. It looks strange but I like it. I really need to take some pictures for the next time I visit back home to Earth.

8/9. When I'm in space, I stock up on Thamium9 for my pulse engine (enough for a bit into the future), and for on the planets, I like to keep a lot of plutonium on hand to jump around all over the place with my launch thruster. Also, for walking around, zinc or titanium for hazards - even a nice planet can have sudden storms. I can usually find enough plutonium and carbon for life support when needed, but I like to arrive at a planet with a bit of those in stock too, for just in case. I'm currently on a planet with titanium crystals here and there, so I'm stocking up. I'm also gradually building up my various hazard protections, including lining things up so the outlines light up.

10. I am sooooo not rushing! It's a bit hard when I hear of people on their second galaxy, but I'm taking my time.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

dogen wrote: 11. Manufacturing Bypass Chips and then selling them is an incredibly efficient way to raise cash. So is collecting Vortex Cubes (some planets have em lying around; but the sentinels don't take kindly to them being harvested, so come loaded for bear)

12. When following a path through the galaxy, it's often possible to travel multiple segments of the path with a single hyperspace jump. Especially if you have a warp engine upgrade. So, follow the path until you reach a system which has 'out of range' (or something) written at the bottom of its description; then, backtrack to the previous system and jump to there.
11. I'm going to have to try that one. Just two easy to find ingredients too. Hmmm. I usually just keep them on me for those signal finding light thingies.

12. I don't want to miss any systems in between the ones I warp to, but I know I'll have to eventually to get to the center. I'm currently not going through any solar system without going to every single planet and moon too at this point, since I don't want to miss any - I considered passing on one last moon and luckily I didn't - it was the lushest planet I've seen yet. I want to see every single 18 quintillion one of them! :)

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

SJW commentary site Autostraddle has published a self-flagellation piece after they committed the unpardonable sin of giving white cis-het male Seth Rogan's latest movie a good review. Just one quote, to whet your appetite.
We heard from readers who questioned the consent of the sexual encounter between the taco and the hot dog bun.
http://web.archive.org/web/201608171300 ... up-348709/

Really?

Post by Really? »

jet_lagg wrote:SJW commentary site Autostraddle has published a self-flagellation piece after they committed the unpardonable sin of giving white cis-het male Seth Rogan's latest movie a good review. Just one quote, to whet your appetite.
We heard from readers who questioned the consent of the sexual encounter between the taco and the hot dog bun.
That is the dumbest shit I've ever seen in my life. I like Tom's activity in the comment section. It's amazing that the same people who are brought to tears over the mischaracterization of an animated Hispanic taco love to talk about the "fragile male ego."

And as always, they note that white people can join the conversation by "shutting up."

Billie from Ockham

jet_lagg wrote:SJW commentary site Autostraddle has published a self-flagellation piece after they committed the unpardonable sin of giving white cis-het male Seth Rogan's latest movie a good review. Just one quote, to whet your appetite.
I assumed that "taco" and "hot dog bun" were euphemisms. Then I clicked through. We cannot all die too soon, such that a new dominant life-form can emerge.