The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
comhcinc

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by comhcinc »

Clarence wrote:
While I might be willing to give this a chance (was not a long time fan of Day so her SJW bitchiness means much less to me as my ego is not on the line) you really can't expect a fan demographic or an individual person who is/was a fan of Day to forgive or forget being stabbed in the back. And yes, in all ways except physically that was what Day did.

She's permanently given up some of her popularity in her chosen demographic. I'm glad to see she is taking this - its sort of indicates she's stuck in the 'geek' section of pulp culture, otherwise she'd probably have flounced out and left her 'dangerous' , unworthy fanboys behind.

This isn't over for her, and its going to be a long time, if ever, before she is allowed to forget it.
I am not a fan of Days because I have never been a fan of anything she has worked on but I also not willing to not watch something I am looking forward to just because she said some stupid shit at some point in the past.

As for her being out of geek culture a look at her IMDb page shows that she has never left it.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

MarcusAu wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:BTW y'all, got gay married last week! Now I'm interviewing for an overseas job that would separate me from my husband for 6 months.
I'm glad to hear that someone has decided to make an honest man of you.

Please remember to start at least 50% of your posts with the phrase "My husband and I..."

And as has been said - Congrats.

I'm fine with that. I was frankly proud that I had landed my wife and bragged about her all the time.

I mean that didn't work out for the best...

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

I have just had that Doctor Seuss moment: Tick in Dick

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Shatterface wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:Quoting from com's post above....

'Lea Stahel, a sociology researcher at the University of Zurich, and a team of researchers set out to find evidence that online anonymity encouraged the kind of abusive behaviour we often see during social media “firestorms”'

And there we have it. Sociology is bunk.
Yes, but the evidence refuted their hypothesis.

If they'd twisted the evidence to support their hypothesis the study would have been bunk.
Accepted, there is a tiny, tiny bit of validity in that they will change their minds when presented with overwhelming evidence contrary to their preconceptions.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

comhcinc wrote:
Clarence wrote:
While I might be willing to give this a chance (was not a long time fan of Day so her SJW bitchiness means much less to me as my ego is not on the line) you really can't expect a fan demographic or an individual person who is/was a fan of Day to forgive or forget being stabbed in the back. And yes, in all ways except physically that was what Day did.

She's permanently given up some of her popularity in her chosen demographic. I'm glad to see she is taking this - its sort of indicates she's stuck in the 'geek' section of pulp culture, otherwise she'd probably have flounced out and left her 'dangerous' , unworthy fanboys behind.

This isn't over for her, and its going to be a long time, if ever, before she is allowed to forget it.
I am not a fan of Days because I have never been a fan of anything she has worked on but I also not willing to not watch something I am looking forward to just because she said some stupid shit at some point in the past.

As for her being out of geek culture a look at her IMDb page shows that she has never left it.
Ya ya. The difference between the artist and the art. No can do. Sorry (not actually)

I was a fanboi because of "The Guild". These days not so much. As a matter of fact I probably am not going to watch anything that has her in it any more because of her back stabbing. Joss Whedon is as just as much toast as Mel Gibson. BTW, same with Polanski. I never watched anything by him after his rape conviction.

But then that just me. Do not care. As far as I am concerned they have already accepted my invitation to fuck off in all directions, never to reappear.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

jimthepleb wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Yes, but the evidence refuted their hypothesis.

If they'd twisted the evidence to support their hypothesis the study would have been bunk.
Accepted, there is a tiny, tiny bit of validity in that they will change their minds when presented with overwhelming evidence contrary to their preconceptions.

Remember stating a hypothesis is part of the scientific method, even if it's wrong.

http://edtech2.boisestate.edu/angelacov ... revise.jpg
I picked a image with a chic because we need more STEM womenz or something.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

comhcinc wrote:
Rasmussen is known for having a conservative bias. Most people don't put a lot of stock in their polling. By that I mean most major new outlets do no use their numbers. Even Fox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasmussen ... erformance
Your wiki link provides extensive specific reasons for trusting Rasmussen, then vague gripes coming mostly from that corrupt bitch of the Democrats, Nate Silver, plus the biased, liberal John Zogby & NYT, and the completely untrustworthy, radical SJW Talking Points Memo.

All pollsters have a political bias, and the complaints made in that wiki article against Rasmussen apply to all pollsters (Zogby & Silver included.)

I mean just looking at this survey I, the layman that I am, see some issues with it. The biggest is that is automated phone poll of only 1000 people. I just don't buy that is a large enough sample size to make any claim about what Americans think aboot anything.
As a former market research professional, I can assure you that: 1) all national polls of this nature rely on <= 1,000 respondents; 2) provided the sample is representative of the general population (or weighted to reflect it), 1,000 is plenty enough to get accurate results.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Rasmussen is known for having a conservative bias. Most people don't put a lot of stock in their polling. By that I mean most major new outlets do no use their numbers. Even Fox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasmussen ... erformance
Your wiki link provides extensive specific reasons for trusting Rasmussen, then vague gripes coming mostly from that corrupt bitch of the Democrats, Nate Silver, plus the biased, liberal John Zogby & NYT, and the completely untrustworthy, radical SJW Talking Points Memo.

All pollsters have a political bias, and the complaints made in that wiki article against Rasmussen apply to all pollsters (Zogby & Silver included.)

My point never was that Rasmussen was the only biased poll. I just brought up that they have a known conservative bias. As I also pointed out you don't even see Fox News giving their polls a lot of play. I never meant they can't be trusted because of their bias

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:As a former market research professional, I can assure you that: 1) all national polls of this nature rely on <= 1,000 respondents; 2) provided the sample is representative of the general population (or weighted to reflect it), 1,000 is plenty enough to get accurate results.
No. I accept that people in your business believe that but you are wrong. There is 318 million people in the US alone. 1000 people tell you fuck all.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

DrokkIt wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: All of the Novella brothers got the Jack within the same week, and they realized it couldn't be just coincidence.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the jack' so can't tell if this is a joke or not

:fpig:
[youtube]djuNYdheD7k[/youtube]

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

jimthepleb wrote:Accepted, there is a tiny, tiny bit of validity in that they will change their minds when presented with overwhelming evidence contrary to their preconceptions.
The original study doesn't say they set out to 'prove' anything, that's the spin given by the news report.

This is what the researchers actually say:
For example, a strong and commonly shared assumption within bullying research theory is that anonymity, understood as the degree to which a communicator perceives the message source as unknown and unspecified, promotes aggression through decreased inhibitions [3, 18–21]. For online firestorms it suggests that negative, and particularly aggressive, word-of-mouth propagation in social media will weaken if real-name policies are introduced. In this article we show that this assumption is not necessarily true because the reverse effect can be obtained: Individuals have a strong motivation for being non-anonymous when being aggressive in social media. We explain this behavior pattern by social norm theory. Social norm theory may be a more appropriate theory to understand communication behavior in social media and to draw conclusions, for example, that real-name policies will not weaken online firestorms.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... 923#sec018

That's saying they set out to test the assumption, not to confirm it.

On the other hand you've already decided sociology is bunk so it doesn't matter that the example shows how sociology can be done right.

So who's being scientific here?

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: All of the Novella brothers got the Jack within the same week, and they realized it couldn't be just coincidence.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the jack' so can't tell if this is a joke or not

:fpig:
[youtube]djuNYdheD7k[/youtube]

Ah, what I'd call 'the clap'.... I think I get the joke now

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

katamari Damassi wrote:BTW y'all, got gay married last week! Now I'm interviewing for an overseas job that would separate me from my husband for 6 months.
Congratulations. Where's the jobbie?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

zenbabe wrote: Cheers, Gumby (and all pitters). Glad to see so many of you still here. Things have been fine, I needed a break from, among other things, here and twitter for a while to narrowly focus on therapy, which has resulted in slow but steady and exponentially positive results. It appears I vanished right before Ophie was chased off of FTB, and others scattered from that hellhole, and before Carrier unleashed his load. :D It will be impossible to fully catch up.

.. was very sad to hear about John Greg though. Haven't read those posts yet (that must have been painful as hell for you guys at the time) but was filled in on what happened, read his obituary and noted that some pitters left messages there.

But you all have clearly carried on, the humor and sharp insight and fabulous 'shops are all on display. Woot!
I'm glad things seem to be going well for you, may that trend continue. I hope your re-appearance here means you're back for good, but if not, at least poke your head in the door and say hello from time to time.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Cool. I also suspected Matthew 19 4-6 was but one example of many that could have been used.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Another Nast incident aside from the cycle crash, I only googled and saw one of the pics , I haven't had the stomach to google the video
of the accident.

Rio 2016: Gymnast Samir Ait Said breaks leg during Olympic vault
French gymnast Samir Ait Said suffered a horrific leg break while performing in the vault at the Rio Olympics.

The 26-year-old's left leg folded beneath him as he landed badly during the men's qualification event.

Said, who won gold on the rings at the 2013 European Championships, was taken off on a stretcher and acknowledged the crowd as he departed.
Highlights footage and photos of the injury are too graphic to be shown on the BBC Sport website.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36999627

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Can anyone explain why they changed the cover of Alan Coren's Golfing for Cats from the eye-catching 1975 edition on the left to the rather blander one on the right?

https://40.media.tumblr.com/0fbdf8684e6 ... o1_500.jpg

I didn't make those up, by the way.

By coincidence, Coren's daughter is Victoria Coren Mitchell. She was on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown this week and she'd changed a Nike logo into a swastika because Channel 4 wouldn't allow advertising.

She's married to David Mitchell.

http://americablog.com/wp-content/uploa ... b-nazi.jpg

I sense a common theme.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

RebeccaB wrote:A few years ago, I got dragged in at very short notice (literally overnight) to take over an anthropology course at the tiny local college, when the sole anthropologist on staff got sick about four weeks into the course. The course was Ethnic Relations – not my area of expertise, but I was the closest thing to an anthropologist they could rustle up. I stepped into a minefield.

The woman I was replacing was a true-blue white-guilt-embracing PC-koolaid-guzzling SJW. ... [ :lol: ]
<snip>

The reaction from the class? They all looked puzzled for a few moments. The one of them timidly put up his hand, and said, “The last sentence is a bit racist, maybe?”

Well, that’s the punchline of this post—but I know it’s anything but funny.
Interesting story. And, as you say, anything but funny. Although it is maybe "encouraging" evidence that bigotry and racism are no particular respecter of boundaries, that they can be found in all classes and groups.

But, relative to the rather bogus sociological defintion - at least the one favoured by many SJWs, that racism= "prejudice + power" - I tend to use, as a counter-argument, the analogy with mechanical levers: even though different levers may have different mechanical advantages, different amplifications of force, the principle remains the same. Likewise with racism (as Tribble, more or less, recently noted): the belief that all members of a group are superior, or inferior to all of another group is rather different from, and frequently conflated with, the effects and impact of that belief.

In any case, relative to your "true-blue white-guilt-embracing PC-koolaid-guzzling SJW" comment, you might be interested in a recent post from Brenda O'Neill. The lead-off:
White shame is the new white pride
– Penthouse, August 2016 –

Are you white? Do you have a dick? If your answer to these questions is “Yes”, then you should be checking your privilege.

You should be watching what you say. You should be experiencing racial guilt. You should feel responsible for every bad thing that happened in history, because all of it was the fault of folk like you: white dudes.

White privilege checking is all the rage. In PC circles, you can’t swing a tote bag without hitting 10 white guys checking their privilege and 10 non-white people demanding they do more of it. ...
Unctuousness for the win? A case of dogma painting itself into a corner, saying black is white? Reminds me of Loyola's Rules for Thinking with the Church:
http://i.imgur.com/2SMmewB.png

I remember practically falling out of my chair when I first saw that, waaay-back when, in a Wikipedia page on Loyola. Kind of amusing, if disconcertingly so, that, presumably, some Catholics have managed to have that passage deleted from the several pages that had incorporated it:

Though I'm surprised that the Holy See hasn't yet managed to proscribe, anathematize, and excise that passage entirely - as in this article; maybe St. Mary's hasn't yet received the communique. For posterity.

But, finally, somewhat apropos, something that Ophelia Benson quoted from a post of Nick Cohen's (generally a sensible commentator, although I disagreed with his position on Brexit):
Benson wrote:Ah the way the left loves to devour its own. Nick Cohen says it has to do with the left’s self-image as the home of all righteousness.
Cohen wrote:Anyone who saw Gordon Brown and his aides in action, or watched the student left ban speakers for disagreeing with them, has found the myth of leftwing decency hard to swallow. But it has taken the triumph of Jeremy Corbyn’s “new politics” to finish it off. ....

Brecht understood that the certainty of your virtue will lead you into cruelty. Leftwing men can treat women appallingly and leftwing agitators can mimic the language and tactics of the far right. They are so convinced of their righteousness they cannot admit their faults. ....
It sounds right to me, given the quantity of words I’ve seen devoted to ostracizing and libeling people for minor deviations from putative orthodoxy.
Though, of course, such behaviours are hardly unique to the leftwing - or to FTBlogs as accusations here of pedophilia against Myers, and others, readily attests. That "certainty of virtue", that tendency to self-righteousness, that "lust for domination" as Saint Augustine put it, seems to be rather ubiquitous.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

rayshul wrote:
Not sure I want to dox myself but it is an island in the Pacific.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

katamari Damassi wrote: She's not still buds with Adam Savage is she? He's involved(tangentially)with the new MST3K, and if she were to worm her way onto the show, it would completely ruin it for me.
Her Adam works for your Adam. Even Becky has failed to leverage that opening for so much as a dollar.

I reckon she is eternally pissed that Big Red stole all her victim points when she was showcased in the Dawkin's vid. 5 years of patient profile building and **puff**.

Nothing.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

InfraRedBucket wrote:Another Nast incident aside from the cycle crash, I only googled and saw one of the pics , I haven't had the stomach to google the video
of the accident.

Rio 2016: Gymnast Samir Ait Said breaks leg during Olympic vault
French gymnast Samir Ait Said suffered a horrific leg break while performing in the vault at the Rio Olympics.

The 26-year-old's left leg folded beneath him as he landed badly during the men's qualification event.

Said, who won gold on the rings at the 2013 European Championships, was taken off on a stretcher and acknowledged the crowd as he departed.
Highlights footage and photos of the injury are too graphic to be shown on the BBC Sport website.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36999627
Yeah heard aboot that. Like you I don't want to look. Since I broke my ankle if I see a leg or ankle getting broke I have immediate sympathy pains.

Any one that can go through that and not pass out and piss themselves is more man that I am.

For those of you who like that kinda stuff you can always google, "sid broken leg"

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

katamari Damassi wrote:
rayshul wrote:

Oh shit! Are you going to get eaten by some dirty savages?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
RebeccaB wrote:A few years ago, I got dragged in at very short notice (literally overnight) to take over an anthropology course at the tiny local college, when the sole anthropologist on staff got sick about four weeks into the course. The course was Ethnic Relations – not my area of expertise, but I was the closest thing to an anthropologist they could rustle up. I stepped into a minefield.
<snip>

Well, that’s the punchline of this post—but I know it’s anything but funny.
And your story is (and others like it) are the reason I give any fucks at all about SJW crap. My eldest daughter is starting college courses, and the crap they present as fact boggles the mind. I'm not so much worried about my kids; going to schools where middle classmates ghetto is pretty good inoculation. We also talk about things a lot, trying to find a balance between cynicism and optimism. But so many kids are exposed to these teachings as revealed truth, it's disgusting. They are not allowed to question, not allowed even the slightest disagreement.

Mainstream SJWism has metastasized into even k-12 education, and as we all know, has nearly terminally infested higher ed. I am not optimistic about how to fight it short of social or environmental catastrophe.
Yea. Sure seems the rot goes pretty deep. Apropos, an article in Tablet:
Time for the Academy To Put Its Pencils Down
Don’t dismiss the petulant students at Yale and elsewhere — they’re here to tell us what we should’ve known a long time ago: American academia is beyond salvation
By Liel Leibovitz ....
Though you could always write a letter to your daughter's school complaining about that "crap". As they say, "it's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" ...

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

comhcinc wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Not sure I want to dox myself but it is an island in the Pacific.

If I'm lucky.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

katamari Damassi wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Not sure I want to dox myself but it is an island in the Pacific.

If I'm lucky.
Polynesian polygamy?

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

These dubbed Trump videos, by Peter Sarasomethingowich (Darth Maul), are brilliant. He doesn't change the words, just the delivery.

[youtube]Qw3IpMhz5rg[/youtube]

Plenty more on his channel.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

katamari Damassi wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Are you going to make a pit stop with the Oceanic crew?
HEHEHEHEH

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

comhcinc wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
rayshul wrote:

I literally just had a shower man

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

katamari Damassi wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

If I'm lucky.
You should time your arrival on the 'island' for Mardi Gras. http://www.mardigras.org.au

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

And hot on the heels of "I'm so anxious I've had to stay at home for a month hiding" we have this.
If you follow me on social media, you know that I’ve been fairly obsessed with the game Overwatch for the past month, streaming it almost every day on Twitch. It’s a fantastic game for a lot of reasons, and I say that as someone who has never been into first person shooters before. The graphics are fun, the learning curve is gentle, and the characters are varied and appeal to people with different abilities.
"Almost every day". She couldn't lie straight in bed.

So is a drug and alcohol fuelled descent into obsessive gaming the usual advice one receives for this condition?

https://web.archive.org/web/20160807223 ... overwatch/

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

rayshul wrote:
I literally just had a shower man
Poor plumber. I hope he enjoyed the experience.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Shatterface wrote:I took sociology and psychology back in the late Eighties.

They certainly taught the cultural Marxism/Frankfurt school bollocks but it was just part of the curriculum, just like psychology included psychoanalysis during the first year. Marx and Freud are 'founding fathers': they teach them as part of the history of the subject. Same with Saussure when you study linguistics.

By the time you get to your second years, you should be reading contemporary stuff. You should also be able to critically assess it, not just regurgitate it.

The most interesting stuff was where it shaded into social psychology. Erving Goffman is fascinating to read alongside One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

SJW sociology looks like cargo cult sociology to me: lots of buzzwords taken from subjects they obviously don't understand.
The way I see it is similar to the issues with economics. Basically, in the first year, you're given the overarching historical theory. Just a basic introduction into the subject. The problem is that some people take that first year as gospel.

IMO it's a problem with economics as well, where people will riff off on things like "supply and demand" without understanding the other things at play.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
feathers wrote: <snip>

So I understand it is mainstream sociology that has hijacked and redefined 'racism'? Then that reaffirms my suspicion that sociology is not a science, but marxist ideology and has no place in academia.
It's not Sociology at all. Most Sociologists undertsand and use the Scientific method when they can and are very aware of the limitations when coming to conclusions. It is quite a disciplined field.
<snip>

To me it is one of the biggest threats society has today. It is a regressive ideology which will take us back to before the reformation.
Well, I could not help myself so I looked it up in the cesspit of lies font of all wisdom and truth under the heading of Stereotype
In social psychology, a stereotype is a thought that can be adopted about specific types of individuals or certain ways of doing things.[1] These thoughts or beliefs may or may not accurately reflect reality.[2][3] However, this is only a fundamental psychological definition of a stereotype.[3] Within psychology and spanning across other disciplines, there are different conceptualizations and theories of stereotyping that provide their own expanded definition. Some of these definitions share commonalities, though each one may also harbor unique aspects that may contradict the others.
"font of all wisdom" - :) Though you might note that Wikipedia is generally as accuate as gold standards such as Britannica: How Accurate Is Wikipedia? Though there is, maybe, more scope for political thumbs on the scales in the former.

In any case, I think the crux of the matter in that quote of yours is "may or may not accurately reflect reality". Apropos:
Stereotype accuracy is one of the largest and most replicable effects in all of social psychology
THE EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE
This blog is not the place to review the overwhelming evidence of stereotype accuracy, though interested readers are directed to SPSR and our updated reviews that have appeared in Current Directions in Psychological Science (Jussim et al, 2015) and Todd Nelson’s Handbook of Stereotypes, Prejudice and Discrimination (Jussim et al, 2016). Summarizing those reviews:
  1. Over 50 studies have now been performed assessing the accuracy of demographic, national, political, and other stereotypes.
  2. Stereotype accuracy is one of the largest and most replicable effects in all of social psychology. Richard et al (2003) found that fewer than 5% of all effects in social psychology exceeded r’s of .50. In contrast, nearly all consensual stereotype accuracy correlations and about half of all personal stereotype accuracy correlations exceed .50.[1]
  3. The evidence from both experimental and naturalistic studies indicates that people apply their stereotypes when judging others approximately rationally. When individuating information is absent or ambiguous, stereotypes often influence person perception. When individuating information is clear and relevant, its effects are “massive” (Kunda & Thagard, 1996, yes, that is a direct quote, p. 292), and stereotype effects tend to be weak or nonexistent. This puts the lie to longstanding claims that “stereotypes lead people to ignore individual differences.”
  4. There are only a handful of studies that have examined whether the situations in which people rely on stereotypes when judging individuals increases or reduces person perception accuracy. Although those studies typically show that doing so increases person perception accuracy, there are too few to reach any general conclusion. Nonetheless, that body of research provides no support whatsoever for the common presumption that the ways and conditions under which people rely on stereotypes routinely reduces person perception accuracy.
As suggested, as long as one isn't trying to characterize all of a group based on a stereotype - generally only applicable to segments of groups - then they have their uses and places.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

katamari Damassi wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

If I'm lucky.
:lol: I thought you were married? Congrats in any case.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

katamari Damassi wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

If I'm lucky.
Hopefully you pick the right Pacific island. Some savages are dirtier than others.

http://i.imgur.com/BDxqG09.jpg

(h/t Ape)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

zenbabe wrote:
Gumby wrote: Zenbabe! Long time no see. :D hope all has been well.
Cheers, Gumby (and all pitters). Glad to see so many of you still here.
<snip>
But you all have clearly carried on, the humor and sharp insight and fabulous 'shops are all on display. Woot!
Cheers. Glad to see you're back in the saddle - hope you'll take your shoes off and stay a while. If you'll excuse the mixing of metaphors. :-)

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Badger3k wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: She's not still buds with Adam Savage is she? He's involved(tangentially)with the new MST3K, and if she were to worm her way onto the show, it would completely ruin it for me.
Felicia Day is involved with the new MST3k. Considering her disgust and backstabbing at the geeks who promoted her 15-minutes of fame, I have no hopes that the show will be good. All we need is Will Wheaton to be brought onboard.
I still enjoy Rifftrax but even they've slipped in some anti-MRA and Gamergate jokes.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote: <chop chop chopity chop>
"font of all wisdom" - :) Though you might note that Wikipedia is generally as accuate as gold standards such as Britannica: How Accurate Is Wikipedia? Though there is, maybe, more scope for political thumbs on the scales in the former.

In any case, I think the crux of the matter in that quote of yours is "may or may not accurately reflect reality". Apropos:
Steers ... your last humor upgrade neglected the sarcasm subroutine. Come one man, I suspect that most people got that the cesspit of lies preceding "font of all wisdom" was there for a reason. :lol:

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Shatterface wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:Accepted, there is a tiny, tiny bit of validity in that they will change their minds when presented with overwhelming evidence contrary to their preconceptions.
The original study doesn't say they set out to 'prove' anything, that's the spin given by the news report.

This is what the researchers actually say:
For example, a strong and commonly shared assumption within bullying research theory is that anonymity, understood as the degree to which a communicator perceives the message source as unknown and unspecified, promotes aggression through decreased inhibitions [3, 18–21]. For online firestorms it suggests that negative, and particularly aggressive, word-of-mouth propagation in social media will weaken if real-name policies are introduced. In this article we show that this assumption is not necessarily true because the reverse effect can be obtained: Individuals have a strong motivation for being non-anonymous when being aggressive in social media. We explain this behavior pattern by social norm theory. Social norm theory may be a more appropriate theory to understand communication behavior in social media and to draw conclusions, for example, that real-name policies will not weaken online firestorms.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... 923#sec018

That's saying they set out to test the assumption, not to confirm it.

On the other hand you've already decided sociology is bunk so it doesn't matter that the example shows how sociology can be done right.

So who's being scientific here?
That's fair, I have great difficulty accepting sociology as scientific when it appears (from my perspective outside the discipline) to be self confirming and self referential. I can accept that some of the conclusions may have some validity but often no more than a stopped clock is accurate to the hour 1/12 of the time. That is my bias and I'll own it. In sociology departments there is far less impetus to find contrarian conclusions than in other scientific disciplines as the only yardstick is other sociologists peer review. In physics, or maths etc an informed amateur could, theoretically turn the entire subject on it's head with a counter-intuitive but accurate hypothesis that could be tested using the same method as the original experiment. Sociology seems to take the feels of the examiner and multiply them by the feels of the examinees. Often within the collegiate setting. (Hence the 1in4 rape stat that is then extended to the wider population). I wouldn't know where to start extruding the quality data from the bunk and have therefore built a opinion based on the multiple examples of poorly executed polls and data points that I am aware of and extended that to the whole field. I recognise that is almost certainly a poor view of the field, but it does also mean that I distrust work that confirms my own biases. Which can be a proper pain in the arse.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Update on my Twitter account. I receive a notification on my phone app and i could access my account, it was someone following me. Got into a browser logged in and here i was on Twitter ... for about 10 seconds. A message that they could not authenticate me popped up and i was forwarded to the login page. And now login does not work at all on the browser but i can see my account which was non-existent a few hours ago.

So it def look like a bug or something. Again, thanks comhcinc for the tweet.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

AndrewV69 wrote:

Steers ... your last humor upgrade neglected the sarcasm subroutine. Come one man, I suspect that most people got that the cesspit of lies preceding "font of all wisdom" was there for a reason. :lol:

You both suck at humor. The fact that you are both arguing over it is giving me a semi stiffy.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

comhcinc wrote:Polynesian polygamy?
Are they the guys who don't know how to dig a well?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

JayTeeAitch wrote:These dubbed Trump videos, by Peter Sarasomethingowich (Darth Maul), are brilliant. He doesn't change the words, just the delivery.

[youtube]Qw3IpMhz5rg[/youtube]

Plenty more on his channel.
serafinowicz ... he was only the voice of Maul, but yes he is absolutely brilliant. His Butterfield sketches and his series are both excellent.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:Update on my Twitter account. I receive a notification on my phone app and i could access my account, it was someone following me. Got into a browser logged in and here i was on Twitter ... for about 10 seconds. A message that they could not authenticate me popped up and i was forwarded to the login page. And now login does not work at all on the browser but i can see my account which was non-existent a few hours ago.

So it def look like a bug or something. Again, thanks comhcinc for the tweet.
I can see your account too. It's a bug. They will fix it soon.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Polynesian polygamy?
Are they the guys who don't know how to dig a well?

They know how to dig something.

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/file ... in%205.jpg

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

More SJW action in punk tonight- revered Hardcore band Gorilla Biscuits apparently said 'all lives matter' and some people are getting quite upset about it on twitter. Some are just making Harambe jokes though...

[youtube]w8T5nOeozTU[/youtube]

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Cnutella wrote: <choppage>
It was baffling to me that Becky pissed away the Popular Science blogging opportunity because it would have looked a whole lot better on her resume than almost anything else she's done.
I was astounded myself that she got that gig in the first place. I certainly never expected she would last because she has never demonstrated to me the qualifications, either educational, IQ, or determination necessary to pull that off.
Yeah, that's why I went with "baffled" rather than "startled" - I wasn't really surprised that she squandered the opportunity but I didn't get why she'd do that. even if the pay was peanuts and the views were miniscule, it was good bragging rights.

I suspect that she blew it off for two reasons; the first is the lack of immediate pay-off in terms of money and exposure versus the expectation of producing regularly. I think the second reason might be to do with her personal insecurities - Becky doesn't really like being criticized for her ignorance in fields where people know kore than she does. She's never really gone near evopsych again, or addressed her critics head-on, never mind being willing to admit mistakes or (shock horror) being able to use this as a leaning experience. She wants people to think she's sciency but she doesn't want to look ill-informed or ignorant. So when she was blogging she stuck to the usual A/S topics that FTBers bitch about today, like Bigfoot and other crytozoological and supernatural topics because that's are safe ground.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

DrokkIt wrote:More SJW action in punk tonight- revered Hardcore band Gorilla Biscuits apparently said 'all lives matter' and some people are getting quite upset about it on twitter. Some are just making Harambe jokes though...

[yout.ube]w8T5nOeozTU[/youtube]
Looking at twitter it seems the sobbing special snowflakes are out in force with regards to that band. How dare they say words SJWs don't like. OMG THEY SAID ALL LIVES MATTER THAT'S SO RACIST!!!

I get so tired if these authoritarian nutjobs. Fuck'em all to the ground.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Gumby wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:More SJW action in punk tonight- revered Hardcore band Gorilla Biscuits apparently said 'all lives matter' and some people are getting quite upset about it on twitter. Some are just making Harambe jokes though...

[yout.ube]w8T5nOeozTU[/youtube]
Looking at twitter it seems the sobbing special snowflakes are out in force with regards to that band. How dare they say words SJWs don't like. OMG THEY SAID ALL LIVES MATTER THAT'S SO RACIST!!!

I get so tired if these authoritarian nutjobs. Fuck'em all to the ground.
The irony is that I doubt some middle-aged old punks guys are even aware why they might consider this an issue and were probably just toting out a bit of the old-fashioned 'respect each other' flannel that is their stock-in-trade.
I suppose they also looked at their totally white audience as well.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Alan Coren stated in the preface that in 1976 cats, golfing, and Hitler were the three most popular subjects in publishing, so a book combining all three had to be a bestseller. It was just a collection of previously published articles (mainly from Punch, IIRC).

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

rayshul wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:]BTW y'all, got gay married last week! Now I'm interviewing for an overseas job that would separate me from my husband for 6 months.
rayshul wrote:Are you going to make a pit stop with the Oceanic crew?
HEHEHEHEH
Sorry, but Eastasia has always been at war with Oceana.

PS: katamari - virtual hugs and kisses in the receiving line at the reception!

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Shatterface wrote:Can anyone explain why they changed the cover of Alan Coren's Golfing for Cats from the eye-catching 1975 edition on the left to the rather blander one on the right?

https://40.media.tumblr.com/0fbdf8684e6 ... o1_500.jpg

I didn't make those up, by the way.

By coincidence, Coren's daughter is Victoria Coren Mitchell. She was on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown this week and she'd changed a Nike logo into a swastika because Channel 4 wouldn't allow advertising.

She's married to David Mitchell.

http://americablog.com/wp-content/uploa ... b-nazi.jpg

I sense a common theme.
Once upon a time I had a subscription to Punch, when her daddy was editor. I never heard of her until I saw David Starkey eviscerate her on a YouTube video of a BBC Question Time programme.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

VickyCaramel wrote:I did a sociology A-level in about 1990 as an evening class.

From what I remember we covered a lot of methodology, some stuff about the structure of the family, and a lot of stuff about poverty.
I don't recall anything I found objectionable, at least not on the course.

However, the class started off with about 18 of us (all women). A couple dropped out early on during the methodology stuff. Many in the rest were pretty hardcore feminist. There were a smattering of older women who had been 2nd gen feminists and a lot of younger women, mostly student nurses who in hindsight were probably SJWs as I remember one of them talking about gender neutral toys.

By the end of the course there were only 4 of us. I was young at the time, but I have a feeling in hindsight that the tutor was deliberately pissing off the feminists. He expressed the view that before the sexual revolution, women ruled the home and men were 'beasts of burden' sent out to die in coal mines... something I have heard Karen Straughan repeat recently.
One theory which he expressed that I haven't heard repeated is that after the First World War, many men came home with shell shock, which caused a sudden spike in domestic violence, this coupled with there being a shortage of men meant that women coddled them and put up with it. This violence was in turn learned by their children who then went off to WWII.
The idea that our grandfather's and great grandfather's generations were damaged and male-on-female domestic violence wasn't the norm in history sent the feminists into fits.

For the record, because of the high number of drop-outs, there was some issue with funding for the course. So although the tutor finished the course, nobody took the exam. So I don't have an A-level in sociology.
Based on your coursework here, I now award you an A-level in sociology for what that is worth.

PS: ever seen those toilet paper dispensers that weren't based on rolls, but were like a small pack of tissues mounted on the wall and one could be pulled out, leaving the next ready for use? Probably not—they were inefficient and likely cost more than giant rolls. But (oh, yes, BUT, there is a point coming!) they were used in the first floor bogs at University College Hospital Medical School in the late 1970's, and some wag had taken his felt pen (that's an old name for a Sharpie) and written next to it:

Sociology BSc's - please take one

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

jimthepleb wrote:Beyond SSRI's and CBT, which have some efficacy but can be limited, the only real cure for my one time crippling social anxiety and agoraphobia was to suck it up and get out doing shit. The two things that will make it much much worse are pot (paranoia and anxiety are very common effects) and booze (which works as a very temporary fix due to it's disinhibiting effects but obviously has devastating long term effects if abused). If Beckybooze has sought any kind of help for her problems she has been told this until her therapist/doctor is blue in the face. This is one condition that requires hard work on the patients part......oh wait hard work, I see the issue now.
Not many people outside the trade appreciate that marijuana might help temporarily with anxiety, but then there is a rebound of increased anxiety. Treating that with more marijuana will give you all the benefits of any system based on positive reinforcement. Also, marijuana stops SSRIs from working. Every prescription for an SSRI should come with a warning not to use marijuana for the first month (at least) while it gets working.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

And the Pit belongs to me tonight!

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

screwtape wrote:And the Pit belongs to me tonight!

I didn't realize this was a competition.

Keating

Post by Keating »

My wedding greetings:

Individually, you were weak like twigs, but together you make an almighty faggot.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
"font of all wisdom" - :) Though you might note that Wikipedia is generally as accurate as gold standards such as Britannica ...
<chop chop chopity chop>
:-) Maybe time for a tune-up. But I did put in a smiley to indicate that I realized it was a jest. Although, as my link suggested, I felt your sarcasm pointed to an all too common view, held by many other than yourself and present company, that Wikipedia is not all that reliable or accurate, a view that is not particularly credible.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Lsuoma wrote:Alan Coren stated in the preface that in 1976 cats, golfing, and Hitler were the three most popular subjects in publishing, so a book combining all three had to be a bestseller. It was just a collection of previously published articles (mainly from Punch, IIRC).
So the modern equivalent would feature Hermione from Harry Potter tied up and spanked by a handsome, sparkly vampire?

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Shatterface wrote:
So the modern equivalent would feature Hermione from Harry Potter tied up and spanked by a handsome, sparkly vampire?
*begins fan-fic*

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

screwtape wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:Beyond SSRI's and CBT, which have some efficacy but can be limited, the only real cure for my one time crippling social anxiety and agoraphobia was to suck it up and get out doing shit. The two things that will make it much much worse are pot (paranoia and anxiety are very common effects) and booze (which works as a very temporary fix due to it's disinhibiting effects but obviously has devastating long term effects if abused). If Beckybooze has sought any kind of help for her problems she has been told this until her therapist/doctor is blue in the face. This is one condition that requires hard work on the patients part......oh wait hard work, I see the issue now.
Not many people outside the trade appreciate that marijuana might help temporarily with anxiety, but then there is a rebound of increased anxiety. Treating that with more marijuana will give you all the benefits of any system based on positive reinforcement. Also, marijuana stops SSRIs from working. Every prescription for an SSRI should come with a warning not to use marijuana for the first month (at least) while it gets working.
Ive had SSRIs and they come with a warning about taking them with pretty much anything: alcohol, cold medicine, grapefruit...