Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Ape+lust »

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

(quote="German StrutBoatsman")
Hunt wrote:
German StrutBoatsman wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:I awoke this morning and to my surprise, the sky hasn't fallen in.
Neither has Carrier's
Is this some kind of innuendo I don't get?
Heaven hasn't fallen doesn't mean you're not fucked. But enjoy the party while it lasts.(/quote)

Ah, I get it. I was hoping for something with a little more spice, but that will do.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Ape+lust wrote:

Thanks. As suspected, the Fat Toad blocked me.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

German StrutBoatsman wrote:btw:
votes-exports-EU.jpg
Lots of potential recruits for the glorious fishing industry empire, I guess
Part of what makes the US work & tick, is that States have certain rights that they maintain and keep. So while Britian's fishing rights were tossed away to other countries, in the US, say for instance Kentucky has ownership of the Ohio river. That means they get all the rights and responsibilities for that river, and the US federal government doesn't coming trouncing down on Kentucky giving the Ohio river to Ohio.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

VickyCaramel wrote:I awoke this morning and to my surprise, the sky hasn't fallen in.
Heaven hasn't fallen doesn't mean you're not fucked. But enjoy the party while it lasts.
Brexit means we don't have to be cucked by Germans anymore. Go eat a sausage. :mrgreen:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Soylent f98 wrote: Taking on Richard's mad offence will not help either organization, nor their heads.
As the EDs of SSA and CQ both regularly give Carrier head, I don't see how this changes things much.

German StrutBoatsman

Post by German StrutBoatsman »

Hunt wrote:
German StrutBoatsman wrote: Heaven hasn't fallen doesn't mean you're not fucked. But enjoy the party while it lasts.
Ah, I get it. I was hoping for something with a little more spice, but that will do.
With the Brits leaving, Germans and Austrians will take over European joke production lines. You're welcome. :twatson:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Ape+lust wrote:

My question would be: why do you need remuneration for your blog network?

PeeZus has a full-time job. Just blog for free, like most of the rest of us do (especially most science and academic bloggers). Grow up, PZ ... you shouldn't need blog income for your beer money, even. Grad school days in Eugene are long over.

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

German StrutBoatsman wrote:I find Paul Schofield scary. He looks like a too healthy clone experiment between George Clooney and Neil Patrick Harris
galleryV9-ystg-1013764.jpg
Make sure he stays on your side of the divide, Brits!

(we might send Frigates, too; yes we do)

Paul?

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

DaveDodo007 wrote:
Aneris wrote:I regard Brexit as a complete stupid's move, on par with electing Trump. But (a smaller) part of me wishes that'll be the outcome in both cases, because some stupid moves must be felt, preferably hard... and I am anglophil. It would be most glorious if Scots would go indie then, and join the EU — maybe England can find a new niche as an intern under Trump?
Your Merkel and I claim my £5.
For what it's worth now.

I can't believe people are actually celebrating the fact they have utterly tanked the UK economy overnight. It's almost as if they're retarded cunts, or something.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:

Thanks. As suspected, the Fat Toad blocked me.
Figures.

That lone "Like" Godless Engineer has in the pic admonishing Peez for objectifying women -- it's from a developmental biologist, just like Peez. A woman. I hope that makes him squirm a little bit.

German StrutBoatsman

VickyCaramel wrote: Brexit means we don't have to be cucked by Germans anymore. Go eat a sausage. :mrgreen:
Not at all. You will just have to pay higher tariffs for all the cucking you will be asking us to do to you.

(Does that even make sense? Gotta leave for the lake, office's fucking hot today) :obscene-smokingpimp:

German StrutBoatsman

hippodown wrote:
German StrutBoatsman wrote:I find Paul Schofield scary. He looks like a too healthy clone experiment between George Clooney and Neil Patrick Harris

Make sure he stays on your side of the divide, Brits!

(we might send Frigates, too; yes we do)

Paul?
Philip, Paul, even Carrier can't tell them apart.

Just keep him contained, o.k.?

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

hes a national treasure

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

so probably a pedo

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

BarnOwl wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:

My question would be: why do you need remuneration for your blog network?

PeeZus has a full-time job. Just blog for free, like most of the rest of us do (especially most science and academic bloggers). Grow up, PZ ... you shouldn't need blog income for your beer money, even. Grad school days in Eugene are long over.
Right! I don't get it, either. I don't know if they're true, but I've seen some impressive numbers that Peez is supposedly banking from his blog. I do know that he once kitted out his lab with equipment it took a weekend for him to set up, and that came just from his Amazon partner earnings.

I guess he's just used to the big cash flow and is loathe to take a pay cut, even it means gutting the Social Justice principles he's made himself Lord and enforcer of.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Lsuoma wrote:
Ericb wrote:MY UK county geographical knowledge is horrible. Is there any geographical trend in the returns so far? Are the Leave counties mostly in the north of England?
Too little info to see any trends yet, but all English areas have gone leave so far, apart from Newcastle. Leave has done better than expected everywhere.

Turnout in London is low, which bodes ill for remain.
It was pissing it down with rain all day. Because of course it fucking was.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

VickyCaramel wrote: Brexit means we don't have to be cucked by Germans anymore. Go eat a sausage. :mrgreen:
Not at all. You will just have to pay higher tariffs for all the cucking you will be asking us to do to you.

(Does that even make sense? Gotta leave for the lake, office's fucking hot today) :obscene-smokingpimp:
I already traded in my German car for a Japanese one. We have been taking our business elsewhere for quite a while, this will just continue the trend.

Keating

Post by Keating »

My thoughts, as someone who has no connection to the UK other than living there for just over a year for work:

[youtube]yHNfvJc99YY[/youtube]

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

If there's anyone on here with an Irish Grandparent, I think* you may be able to retain your EU citizenship by applying for Irish citizenship

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... gn-birth/#

*I have absolutely no fucking idea

Dave

Post by Dave »

deLurch wrote:
votes-exports-EU.jpg
Part of what makes the US work & tick, is that States have certain rights that they maintain and keep. So while Britian's fishing rights were tossed away to other countries, in the US, say for instance Kentucky has ownership of the Ohio river. That means they get all the rights and responsibilities for that river, and the US federal government doesn't coming trouncing down on Kentucky giving the Ohio river to Ohio.
You do realize that as a navigable waterway (which has a fairly expansive definition) the Ohio River is subject to quite a bit of federal regulation, intended to benefit other areas that border it (such as Ohio.) IOW, this seems a pretty poor example.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

I think there will be Brexit Schadenfreude, but we might have to wait a few years.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Dave wrote:
deLurch wrote:
votes-exports-EU.jpg
You do realize that as a navigable waterway (which has a fairly expansive definition) the Ohio River is subject to quite a bit of federal regulation, intended to benefit other areas that border it (such as Ohio.) IOW, this seems a pretty poor example.
Yeah, I don't think that's the reason Europe is falling apart. I think the problem is diversity of cultures. Consider Australia was Federated within 100 years of being settled. While Australian states had diverged a bit based on the source cultures of the first settlers, the speed with which federation happened meant that we have a strong federation with minimal cultural differences across vast distances. So, we don't even have very strong state rights compared to the United States.

The United States went quite a lot longer between settlement and federating into a single country. The result is that there are fairly vast cultural differences between the states, and state rights have historically been strongly protected.

The European Union attempted to unite cultures that had millennia of divergence with minimal regards for individual member rights. I think this is where a lot of politics has failed over the last couple of decades. The economy matters, but it isn't the only thing that does. Culture matters too, and when one group feels their culture isn't being respected, that's when friction arises. Immigration is only a problem, in this view, because it either happens too fast for integration to occur, or with no consideration given to the effects it would have on the native culture (assuming it wasn't malicious).

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

No confidence motion against Corbyn submitted.

AnonymousCowherd

JayTeeAitch wrote:If there's anyone on here with an Irish Grandparent, I think* you may be able to retain your EU citizenship by applying for Irish citizenship

I'm fairly sure the grandparent had to have been born in Ireland before 1922, unless that's changed lately.

AnonymousCowherd

VickyCaramel wrote:

I already traded in my German car for a Japanese one. We have been taking our business elsewhere for quite a while, this will just continue the trend.
I thought the UK was a net importer from the EU? If so, tariffs may be more likely to hurt the EU than the UK. It's in both parties interest to negotiate a free trade zone, but politics might say otherwise.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

BREAKING NEWS: OFFICAL EUROPEAN RESPONSE TO BREXIT. MUST SEE. CLICK HERE. MAKE YOUR FORTUNE.

[youtube]E9dLGDCdg3g[/youtube]

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:If there's anyone on here with an Irish Grandparent, I think* you may be able to retain your EU citizenship by applying for Irish citizenship

I'm fairly sure the grandparent had to have been born in Ireland before 1922, unless that's changed lately.
My dad had an Irish grandparent (who was born before 1922) and applied for an Irish passport in the 1990s. Based on this he got Irish passports for me and my sisters.

I think there was a fire sale to raise money for Ireland at time - a nice litter earner so to speak.

I've no idea if the same rules still apply though.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

When you click on the question mark in the lower-right corner, it tells you PZ has the option of displaying only family-friendly ads.

Family-Friendly Content
Website owners select the type of content that appears in our units. However, if you would like to ensure that Content.ad always displays family-friendly content, regardless of what site you are on, check the option below.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Za-zen wrote:BREAKING NEWS: OFFICAL EUROPEAN RESPONSE TO BREXIT. MUST SEE. CLICK HERE. MAKE YOUR FORTUNE.

[youtube]VKMBC2ZlbNc[/youtube]

SM12

Post by SM12 »

Za-zen wrote:BREAKING NEWS: OFFICAL EUROPEAN RESPONSE TO BREXIT. MUST SEE. CLICK HERE. MAKE YOUR FORTUNE.

Does Brexit mean Andre Rieu is banned from Britain?

And the German have to keep Roger Whittaker for ever?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

jimhabegger wrote: I've been trying for years to switch to a GNU/LInux system, but there was always some reason I couldn't give up Windows, and switching back and forth between the two was too much trouble. Now I can have them both running at the same time. Not that I plan to do much with GNU/Linux any more, but I still want to play and experiment with it.
My love affair with Windows came to a screeching halt with Windows 95 and their Resource Meter. Use up all the indicator bits and it was an "out of memory" or "out of resources" error message even though you had lots of free RAM.

Then I discovered Linux. I have lost track of the number of different distros I have used since then. I dropped Ubuntu when they made Unity the default desktop a couple of years ago and I currently use Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

I do use windows ... but not for anything important. All my important erm ... *cough* uh ... research! Yes that it! research! is done using Linux.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Well I guess we have the answer on Hyena and her mysterious missing posts.

Peak popcorn.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:

It doesn't mention 1922 at the link:
An application for Irish citizenship through Foreign Birth Registration (FBR) can be submitted by any person with a grandparent born in any part of Ireland or by any person whose parent received Irish citizenship or was deemed to be an Irish citizen prior to the birth of the applicant.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Service Dog wrote:
When you click on the question mark in the lower-right corner, it tells you PZ has the option of displaying only family-friendly ads.

Family-Friendly Content
Website owners select the type of content that appears in our units. However, if you would like to ensure that Content.ad always displays family-friendly content, regardless of what site you are on, check the option below.
That's what I wanted to reply to the Minnesota Walrus, but he blocked me.

Seriously, is any outsider still taking that moron seriously?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Yes. Though just getting the passport is the easier route. My mom, uncle & sister have theirs.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

SM12 wrote:

Does Brexit mean Andre Rieu is banned from Britain?

And the German have to keep Roger Whittaker for ever?
Wow. Yanni does Beethoven. That would've been a lot better, had those lady singers' tops fallen off while they were singing.

AnonymousCowherd

MarcusAu wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:

My dad had an Irish grandparent (who was born before 1922) and applied for an Irish passport in the 1990s. Based on this he got Irish passports for me and my sisters.

I think there was a fire sale to raise money for Ireland at time - a nice litter earner so to speak.

I've no idea if the same rules still apply though.
Yes, I had a pre-1922 grandparent from Ireland too. It might even have been that the grandparent had to be male? Not sure now. Anyway, my siblings can't get Irish passports for their kids as a great- grandparent doesn't count, apparently.

My other (male) grandparent was born in India - maybe I could try my luck there if I ever need to open a restaurant in England?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Looks like his poly ex-mates have a few skeletons in their closets.

http://i.imgur.com/Bg7Ba1k.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Mohole? Hohole?

AnonymousCowherd

JayTeeAitch wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:

It doesn't mention 1922 at the link:
An application for Irish citizenship through Foreign Birth Registration (FBR) can be submitted by any person with a grandparent born in any part of Ireland or by any person whose parent received Irish citizenship or was deemed to be an Irish citizen prior to the birth of the applicant.
Oh good. That might come in handy for a few people I know. Perhaps the settlement "oop Nawth" had something to do with it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

AnonymousCowherd wrote: It might even have been that the grandparent had to be male?
No.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

SM12 wrote:
I thought this was the EU's official response.
[youtube]FN7r0Rr1Qyc[/youtube]

AnonymousCowherd

Brive1987 wrote:Mohole? Hohole?
Is it a reference the old project to drill into the Mohorovičić discontinuity? Is, he's showing his age. I only dimly remember it because they nicknamed the drill the Mohoholer.

Yes life was drab in the 60s. It failed, too.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Service Dog wrote:

Family-Friendly Content
HAHA!

Brive detailed the options and what he had to do to run non-shitlord ads long ago. But Peez would rather burn the village down with everybody in it than take advice from someone he's deemed an enemy.

Even if he actually doesn't know, he's had 5 YEARS to figure it out.

I wonder how long the new crop, justice warriors like Great American Satan, will put up with being reminded their content is paired with dudebro ads?

AnonymousCowherd

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote: It might even have been that the grandparent had to be male?
No.
You're certainly right now, but when I applied bout twenty years ago it might have been different.

Or, more likely, I was drunk.

AnonymousCowherd

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
No.
You're certainly right now, but when I applied bout twenty years ago it might have been different.

Or, more likely, I was drunk.
"About". Shit. Maybe I'm drunk now.

Gurgle.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brive1987 wrote:Looks like his poly ex-mates have a few skeletons in their closets.

Looks like Carrier's an even nastier little weeble than I thought. Didn't think that was possible :shock:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote:Looks like his poly ex-mates have a few skeletons in their closets.

Fresh Archive:
https://archive.is/196MM
PZ Myers
23 June 2016 at 11:06 pm
There was no “scorched earth”. We had reports of unacceptable behavior, and we had just begun an investigation, as part of that whole “due process” thing. We have other bloggers here who are polyamorous, and that is most certainly not an objection.
What you seem to have missed is that before the process could run its course, Carrier announced his departure. We didn’t kick him out; we didn’t even discuss kicking him out. We were at the stage where we were asking, “are these accounts true?”, when he left.
PZ Myers
23 June 2016 at 11:06 pm
There was no “scorched earth”. We had reports of unacceptable behavior, and we had just begun an investigation, as part of that whole “due process” thing. We have other bloggers here who are polyamorous, and that is most certainly not an objection.
What you seem to have missed is that before the process could run its course, Carrier announced his departure. We didn’t kick him out; we didn’t even discuss kicking him out. We were at the stage where we were asking, “are these accounts true?”, when he left.
PZ Myers
24 June 2016 at 12:11 am
The thing is, we’re not investigating anything now. We’re done. The story is over. He’s left, and we have no further interest in getting to the heart of the matter…and his threats to sue tell us we’re not going to get any cooperation from him, so we’re even less equipped now.
He seems to believe that we wanted to hunt him down, and that now that he’s left, we’ll be tracking him down with an “investigation”. Nothing could be further from the truth.
The people who are upset about this aren’t honestly interested in due process — rather, they want us to automatically reject all accusations against their heroes without investigation.
PZ Myers
24 June 2016 at 8:24 am
Yes, I have more information than you do. I was the contact person who got the personal accounts and relayed them to the Ethics Committee, so I’ve read everything. I’m also in contact with the people at the-orbit and skepticon who’ve been dealing with this. I’ve had a short phone conversation with Carrier in which he presented his ultimatums. And most damningly, we’ve seen his ‘defense’, which I sincerely hope he doesn’t use for his own sake, which consists almost entirely of extortionate threats to reveal secrets of the sex life of his accusers.
The hole he’s digging in public really is nothing compared to the mohole he’s excavating in private.

SM12

Post by SM12 »

This has got 'fun' written all over it.

Somebody give Carrier a place to blog now!

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

I see some other possible reasons for the popularity of demonizing white men, beyond the personal reasons of people with careers in feminism and social justice.

Some of the people benefiting the most from plundering and pillaging in the name of economic growth might see white men from the lower classes as the most likely to lead a revolution. They might be very glad to see those men demoralized and incapacitated by prejudice and discrimination against them, and they might even be financing it, and encouraging it in every other way they can.

I posted some thoughts earlier about why and how university Marxists turned against working class people, re-configuring the villains of their mythology as white people and men instead of the upper classes, but I left out the most obvious possible reason of all: they themselves would have been taken down by the revolution if there ever was one.

John D

Post by John D »

SM12 wrote:

This has got 'fun' written all over it.

Somebody give Carrier a place to blog now!
Hey Dickie.... please come to the pit and chat till your heart's content. I want to hear your stories. We will probably call you names and shit.... but you can take it. We only kick people off for doxing... (and kiddie porn... so you will have to be careful about posting your kiddie porn... not that you have any kiddie porn... I am not saying that.... I am sure your porn only has adult models that just look like kids.)

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

So I guess we know what it takes to survive in the SJW world clique. The principal of M.A.D. Mutually Assured Destruction.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Eh, Brexit. I still don't know what to make of it all, but crass idiocy like this is surely not helping.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

feathers wrote:
MacGruberKnows wrote:Quality of food in the EU just went up 50%
One can imagine a happy Europe where the Brits are the police officers, the Germans are the engineers, and the French are the cooks.

Or an unhappy one where The French are the engineers, the Germans the policemen, and the Brits the cooks.

(recycled old joke)
Oldie but goodie from circa 1992:

In Heaven all the cooks are French, all the police are English, all the engineers are German, all the lovers are Italian and everything is run by the Swiss.

In Hell, all the cooks are English, all the police are German, all the engineers are French, all the lovers are Swiss and everything is run by the Italians.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Just how many times are we going to tell that joke? :p

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

:nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin: :nin:

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

hippodown wrote:hes a national treasure
Can we bury him?

johnself

Post by johnself »

jet_lagg wrote:Just how many times are we going to tell that joke? :p
If you wan't jokes, there is a good thread here on the-orbit:
http://the-orbit.net/splainyouathing/20 ... mb-polack/
He thought his wife was trying to kill him because he found Polish Remover.

He tried to ask out a Lesbian by asking where in Lesbos she was from.

When a plane crashed into a cemetery, he recovered over 4000 bodies.

He locked his keys in the car and had to use a coat hanger to get his family out.

He crashed his helicopter when he got too cold and turned off the fan.