The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
BarnOwl

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by BarnOwl »

deLurch wrote: [youtube]ih7N9_VUU4U[/youtube]
What the hell is that song about, anyway? Lots of people in New Orleans loved it for some reason ... is it the levee part? My next door neighbors were mad for it - they'd have birthday parties for their kids, and all the adults would get drunk and sing the song while bobbing around in the pool.

Sent from my Theremin using HandProximity

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

AndrewV69 wrote:
NoGodsEver wrote:Over at Pharyngula, PZ proves, and I mean, proves, that rape culture exists at universities. He went to one frat party 40 years ago, and there was drinking, talk of drunken sex, and 'crass jokes'. Game, set, and match, shitlords!
PeeZuss is a hypocrite of the first water. By his own standards he is fostering rape culture and shielding a rapist. Not to mention him providing a safe space for Oggie the child molester. Never mind he is a harasser of women himself, again by his own standards.
He continues to lecture others on morality. He's a fucking paedo, rape merchant by his own standards. The police should be searching his computers and the FTB network servers.

I'm sure there is more to come out with regard to the exposure of paedophiles, rapists, and perverts at FreeThoughtblogs and other SJW outlets.

Really?

Post by Really? »

d4m10n wrote:
Really? wrote:
From Carrier's "Bitchez Be Lyin'" post:
So the SSA didn’t have to pick sides in a dispute. There wasn’t any dispute. I did not challenge the complaint (believing it to be describing the only actual incident it could possibly have been describing). And they already noted that I had publicly said years ago that if I wanted to have the freedom to date students (and thus express interest in them), and the SSA insisted on that being against policy, “I’d just withdraw from the SSA Speaker’s Bureau.” So we agreed that’s what I should do. And I did. I haven’t been on it for over a year. And I since date or have dated students or former students, without incident.
http://archive.is/xK0h6
Who doesn't date former students? Bit of wiggle room there, but maybe he really did mean to imply that he is currently dating students that he met through SSA. If so, that utterly takes the biscuit. We're going to need a stronger word for shamelessness.
He didn't mean to imply that he has "dated" students since his SSA punishment. He explicitly states it. Otherwise why make a distinction between "students" and "former students" with that confusing "or"?

I believe he's telling us that he's "dated" through SSA after his removal from the "Bureau." Otherwise, why would he say all of this? And those words? And still insist that the only barrier to a speaker fucking students is presence on the Bureau list?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

BarnOwl wrote:What the hell is that song about, anyway?
On February 3, 1959, rock and roll musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J. P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson were killed in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa, together with the pilot, Roger Peterson. The event later became known as "The Day the Music Died", after singer-songwriter Don McLean so referred to it in his 1971 song "American Pie".
Don McLean makes several references to lyrics from Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens & The Big Bopper.
BarnOwl wrote:Lots of people in New Orleans loved it for some reason ... is it the levee part? My next door neighbors were mad for it - they'd have birthday parties for their kids, and all the adults would get drunk and sing the song while bobbing around in the pool.
As far as its popularity, I guess it is an easy listening song, with good vocals, and plenty of (for the time) pop culture references.

Everything else Don McLean wrote was crap.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Really? wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:
Christ, the puritan nature is deeply ingrained in American culture. sometimes a shag is just a shag.
I would love to agree with you, but for the past five years, Carrier and his friends have made it clear that birth rape is real, hair rape is possible and any possible discomfort a man causes a woman is a very, very serious issue.

They changed the rules of the game. We told them it was a bad idea and these were stupid rules. They ignored us and now every organization is poisoned. They must be held to their own standards by people like us because they are sure as hell not going to do it for themselves. (As evidenced by PZ's silence.)
Then we are just moving the overton window in their favour by normalizing their retardedness.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

You know it is kind of interesting as other people have noted that Greta, Heinna & pz have been silent on their blogs. Maybe concerned about the PR backlash.

But you know what. If Richard Carrier does get let off the hook with a swat on the hand, we are absolutely going to ride them on this until the end of time. They won't be able to say boo about anyone else if they let Carrier off the hook.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Really? wrote:I'd probably be willing to kick in a few bucks if it meant getting Carrier to do a Stollznow-like video. "Hi, I'm Richard Carrier. The bigots in the atheist community are trying to harm my reputation just because I traveled the country for years trying to fuck college girls. Please dig deep and support me against my harassers."
I get names mixed up and for a second I thought you meant Sulkowicz (Mattress Girl)and had momentary visions of Carrier doing a re-enactment video.

Still, I wouldn't put that past him.

Sent from the Future via Tachyon Beam.

Really?

Post by Really? »

DaveDodo007 wrote:
Really? wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:
Christ, the puritan nature is deeply ingrained in American culture. sometimes a shag is just a shag.
I would love to agree with you, but for the past five years, Carrier and his friends have made it clear that birth rape is real, hair rape is possible and any possible discomfort a man causes a woman is a very, very serious issue.

They changed the rules of the game. We told them it was a bad idea and these were stupid rules. They ignored us and now every organization is poisoned. They must be held to their own standards by people like us because they are sure as hell not going to do it for themselves. (As evidenced by PZ's silence.)
Then we are just moving the overton window in their favour by normalizing their retardedness.
I disagree. I only expect them to be held to their own standards. Everyone gets a reasonable hearing from me. If some random guy gets accused of sexual harassment at the upcoming SSA convention, I will hold him only to reasonable definitions when I judge his guilt. (Over the Internet.)

As an example, think of Adria Richards. The men she attacked just told a childish joke around her and then apologized like crazy when she took offense. This is zero bad.

Adria, on the other hand, fucked with peoples' livelihoods because she's an eavesdropping bitch and she decided that when she is offended, heads must roll.

http://allthingsd.com/files/2013/03/adr ... rds380.jpg

However, Adria Richards also made cock jokes on her twitter account, one that was tied to her employment.

http://i2.wp.com/www.antifeministtech.i ... /socks.jpg

She deserved to be fired because she violated her own moronic rules. The men did not deserve to be fired.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Shatterface wrote:
Really? wrote:I'd probably be willing to kick in a few bucks if it meant getting Carrier to do a Stollznow-like video. "Hi, I'm Richard Carrier. The bigots in the atheist community are trying to harm my reputation just because I traveled the country for years trying to fuck college girls. Please dig deep and support me against my harassers."
I get names mixed up and for a second I thought you meant Sulkowicz (Mattress Girl)and had momentary visions of Carrier doing a re-enactment video.

Still, I wouldn't put that past him.

Sent from the Future via Tachyon Beam.
Don't give Carrier any ideas. He would save a lot of time if he just carried a mattress around with him.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I think I see an outline of RC in the leaves of that tree.

Really?

Post by Really? »

IT'S HAPPENING!!!

Zvan posted about Carrier:

http://archive.is/bYydB

Really?

Post by Really? »

AND SKEPTICON BANNED HIM.

http://archive.is/M49KA
The accusations specifically against Richard Carrier are, sadly, not so surprising to the Skepticon organizers. While he was a featured speaker for many years, we stopped inviting him to speak partly because of his repeated boundary-pushing behavior, including towards someone involved in Skepticon. What has been made clear by the recent discussions is that our attendees’ well being and comfort is put at an unacceptable risk by Carrier’s presence, and so we are officially prohibiting Richard Carrier from attending any future Skepticons.

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

deLurch wrote:
Cnutella wrote:I wonder whether Greta or Heina are going to blog about this? They seem pissed off enough on FB. If they don't end up writing a post publicly chastising SSA, maybe it's because they have decided that the background whispering campaign is maybe safer way to get the word out without causing another major public scandal?

Alternatively, they may feel that a somewhat stealthy campaign is less likely to become a lightning rod for any potential legal action than posting on the blogging platform they both played a role in creating. Both of them appear to be broke and there is now precedent for legal action against bloggers who make questionable allegations, and the SSA seem like they have the resources to sue if necessary.

Still, I would think a post that stuck to the facts would be pretty damning, and rather hard to contest. Strange.
Richard brings in $15k a year. He isn't about to scratch up enough to retain a lawyer. And no one is going to crowd fund Richard's sexscapade. Plus Greta & Heina don't make enough for a lawyer to go after them on contingency on such a dicey subject.
RC is the kind of guy who thinks he will be better off defending himself.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

deLurch wrote:You know it is kind of interesting as other people have noted that Greta, Heinna & pz have been silent on their blogs. Maybe concerned about the PR backlash.

But you know what. If Richard Carrier does get let off the hook with a swat on the hand, we are absolutely going to ride them on this until the end of time. They won't be able to say boo about anyone else if they let Carrier off the hook.
Peez should be screaming about Carrier's lewd escapades from the rooftops - along with the SSA's complicity in ensuring Dicky gets regular access to the poon despite the complaint that was made against him. Recall how Peez raked JREF & Grothe over the coals because of Grothe's perceived inaction over a similar complaint? 'BELIEVE THE WOMEN! BELIEVE THE WOMEN!' The fat tosser screeched. And now he's faced with an ol' buddy from his own camp - and Peez is either hesistating or simply isn't gonna address it. What a cunt. What an utter, utter cunt. Seriously, dude needs be be slapped repeatedly over the head with a condom stuffed with frozen shit.

johnself

Post by johnself »

Really? wrote:IT'S HAPPENING!!!

Zvan I love you :popcorn:

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Really? wrote:AND SKEPTICON BANNED HIM.

The accusations specifically against Richard Carrier are, sadly, not so surprising to the Skepticon organizers. While he was a featured speaker for many years, we stopped inviting him to speak partly because of his repeated boundary-pushing behavior, including towards someone involved in Skepticon. What has been made clear by the recent discussions is that our attendees’ well being and comfort is put at an unacceptable risk by Carrier’s presence, and so we are officially prohibiting Richard Carrier from attending any future Skepticons.
So if he wasn't an 'Ally' they would have been all over the internet telling people how bad he was as soon as they possibly could. Yet they only react now. And Myers? Crickets.

Bunch of hypocritical bigots the lot of them.

Every time these people open their mouths Trump gets more votes. They they represent the worst in humanity.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

johnself wrote:

Zvan I love you :popcorn:
[youtube]akb0kD7EHIk[/youtube]

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Really? wrote....
MindBoggled says
June 19, 2016 at 4:16 pm
Richard,
You Tweeted:
“Wasn’t banned. Removed from bureau. Speakers don’t have to be on bureau, & when not, don’t have to abide by the stricter policy.”

Let me get this straight. One or more complaints were lodged against you and SSA investigated. In response they removed you from the Speakers’ Bureau presumably because they found you to be in violation of applicable policies. Correct me if I’ve gone wrong so far.
All that said you are still allowed to speak at SSA events but you just no longer are bound by the policies you have violated? Is that about right?
In effect you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar and SSA’s reaction is to remove your restrictions or prohibition on getting into the cookie jar? They’ll happily invite you back into the kitchen only now you can dip into that cookie jar at will without violating any policies?
Are you effing kidding with this or what? This is a joke right? Both you and SSA feel that’s an appropriate response? This is what you consider to be ethical? This is what SSA considers to be a responsive action? Unbelievable.

Richard Carrier says
June 20, 2016 at 3:36 pm
Only one complaint. For violating the one policy that only has to be followed to be on the speaker’s bureau, not to be a speaker. Speakers are covered by other policies, but not that one. It’s only a requirement to be boosted by the SSA national with promotion and funding for local affiliates. I have written before on why I don’t think that overly strict policy is one any organization should have. And most orgs agree (which is why no such policy exists in most other orgs). But the SSA national doesn’t have to promote speakers or fund speakers for local affiliates. So that they only apply that overly strict policy to that one activity is their prerogative. One then has the freedom to decide whether they want the perks in exchange for submitting to greater restrictions, or not. And affiliates have the same choice of whom to bring in as a speaker.

Uhhhh.... I think MingBoggled just flipped my opinion 180 degrees. Mindboggled was trying to be "let me get this straight" sarcastic, but...

SSA's existing policy is the best model: An organisation like SSA would vouch for speakers. A seal of approval. If the speaker opts-out or violates the terms of approval... the speaker loses the gold star of endorsement. And that's all!

The speaker shouldn't be no-platformed. They can keep speaking. Just no-longer under the official auspices of the vouching organization.

One key question: who is the vouching organization vouching TO? Are they promising the local organization putting on the speaking event? The individual staff members of the local organization (such as Amy Whasshername). Or each audience member attending the event? All of the above plus the entire outside world?

Why is the code of conduct anyone's problem besides SSA and Carrier? SSA could put their conduct standards into the contract they offer Carrier-- including wording saying he's financially responsible for any liability caused by him breaking the vouching rules. Amy complains-- and then SSA can choose whether to enforce their contract/ de-list Carrier & charge him for the expense his misbehavior caused. Or else SSA can take a pass on enforcing their contract-- at risk of exposing their seal of approval as being worthless.

--sent from Enigma machine using Zygalski

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

About fuckin time, too. Now Carrier will hopefully get a lesson in how utterly obtuse and downright vindictive Zvan can be.

Time to step up to the plate, Peez.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I doubt Myers will defend Carrier but I'd love to see the Orbitches unleash their full hate on FtB because the ex-FtBers must know shit the rest of us don't.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Really? wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:
I disagree. I only expect them to be held to their own standards. Everyone gets a reasonable hearing from me. If some random guy gets accused of sexual harassment at the upcoming SSA convention, I will hold him only to reasonable definitions when I judge his guilt. (Over the Internet.)

As an example, think of Adria Richards. The men she attacked just told a childish joke around her and then apologized like crazy when she took offense. This is zero bad.

Adria, on the other hand, fucked with peoples' livelihoods because she's an eavesdropping bitch and she decided that when she is offended, heads must roll.

However, Adria Richards also made cock jokes on her twitter account, one that was tied to her employment.

She deserved to be fired because she violated her own moronic rules. The men did not deserve to be fired.
We all know they don't follow their own rules and it is OK when they do it. They defend paedos on their side all the time, Carrier will only be destroyed when they want a witch hunt and nothing we say will changed this. Giving legitimacy to any of their rules is counter productive in my opinion. Pointing out their hypocrisy is fine, demanding that they adhere to their insane rules rather than abandoning them sure is worrisome.

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

Notice how svan never mentions the potential conflict of interests involving Metkas and hubby.

Really?

Post by Really? »

DaveDodo007 wrote:
We all know they don't follow their own rules and it is OK when they do it. They defend paedos on their side all the time, Carrier will only be destroyed when they want a witch hunt and nothing we say will changed this. Giving legitimacy to any of their rules is counter productive in my opinion. Pointing out their hypocrisy is fine, demanding that they adhere to their insane rules rather than abandoning them sure is worrisome.
But how can they destroy each other if they don't demand that they all follow their insane rules? We do the very valuable work of making public their many, many lapses that might otherwise get swept under the CampQueSSA rug.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Those of you who seem to think that Carrier did nothing seriously wrong ('just some awkward flirting', or words to that effect) seem to ignore the original statement by Amy, the student who complained about him:
Richard Carrier, the man who sexually harassed me and touched me a year ago after speaking at ASU
Why do you believe Carrier, who writes as if he all he did was nothing more than trying to set up a 'date' with her? Even if what Carrier wrote is true, he is in my mind still a sexual predator who hangs around students with the aim of getting in their panties. He is a guy who undoubtedly considers women as sex objects, and I can well imagine that the female students he tries to 'date' are sick and tired of middle-aged creeps like him. They have a right not to be forced to share company with such people, if it can be avoided. The SSA and affiliated organisations have a duty towards the students not to employ types like Carrier in any capacity.

Carrier knowingly broke the rules about not initiating sexual advances towards students in his capacity as speaker at least twice, and one student was annoyed enough to accuse him of sexual harrassment. That makes him a scumbag. It may not be illegal to be a scumbag, but it should still have consequences.

Aneris

Re: The Refuge of the Toa

Post by Aneris »

Really? wrote:<snip>Most importantly, this SJW bullshit is a cult. It cannot be destroyed from the outside. It must be destroyed from within. We saw this with Jonestown. We see this with Scientology. We have seen this in the FTB/Orbit schism, the Benson TERF War and in countless other ways. I think it's our responsibility to add oxygen to that fire so it burns out as quickly as possible. Unless we're all fine with SSA resembling a Catholic Church and Reason Rally drawing fewer people than the grand opening of a dollar store.
Too little, too late.

The US secular movement (the cliquish core that is also most visible globally) is a Critical Race Theory movement and beyond repair. Of course when pressed, they know nothing, which should be dubbed the “Aron Ra Script”. Talk all year about Intersectionality-Microaggressions-Lived-Experience Mumbojumbo, or support this stuff, also on Patreon, deny everything for a few months and when the day comes and it's seen as a fad: claim ignorance, but just keep believing everything — from Dawkbros to Misogynists, change nothing in your views: even more, you must believe even stronger in the narrative, not just because of the Backfire Effect; but your self-image as a “skeptic” depends on it.

Would you accept that the critique of CRT (=social justice warriorism) was warranted; that the shitlords were right in principle, you would also have to admit that you were duped, and that you were a Mitläufer at least — but that is something the American Atheist cannot do, so much rests on the feeling of being superior and being smarter than the other American next door (who is quite possibly even a YEC). This is why there will be no happy end. Also, New Atheism is dead. It couldn't find a home in the secular home of the Blue Tribe, and now sounds like Red Tribe, which is religious, where it obviously cannot exist.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Quick post for my new job. It's pretty awesome. Hey Brive the company just moved into this new building. I am surrounded by cat6.[imghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160620/bf9191e542a2c1fb70420f7f5661e878.jpg[/img]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Get stuffed.

I'm travelling to Melbourne today just to see the company's brand new purpose build office on the "Paris End" of Collins Street. And to meet one of the IT war bands. I am almost certain there will be no BNC coax. And I have packed my black tee shirt to blend in. pics to follow.

Congrats, well done Com! :dance:
Cool cool. Yeah for those who may be wondering, they were setting up a desk next to where I was sitting. The desk are motorized to allow you to change from sitting to standing during the day.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

The witch trial begins. :dance:

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

hippodown wrote:Notice how svan never mentions the potential conflict of interests involving Metkas and hubby.
Yeah. Seems an odd omission. But this should grant permission to the baboons & bring out years of overlooked leg humping stories.

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

Good god. No.

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

My moneys on metkas and svan being friends. How could they not be?

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

Also. Im confused...so, skepticon also banned him? Then kept quiet till now? I dont quite get it.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Really? wrote:

You cock. I had forgotten about her and her nasty, spiteful, hypocritical, cuntishness.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Really? wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:
But how can they destroy each other if they don't demand that they all follow their insane rules? We do the very valuable work of making public their many, many lapses that might otherwise get swept under the CampQueSSA rug.
I sort of agree though I don't want to give any weight to their positions.

johnself

Post by johnself »

DaveDodo007 wrote:

The witch trial begins. :dance:
Im looking forward to hearing Carrier explain this does not really mean he is not allowed to stay at the scepticon hotel, go to the scepticon bar and ask every attendee with two X chromosomes to hump him.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

https://i.sli.mg/V4zj12.gif

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Jan Steen wrote:Those of you who seem to think that Carrier did nothing seriously wrong ('just some awkward flirting', or words to that effect) seem to ignore the original statement by Amy, the student who complained about him:
Richard Carrier, the man who sexually harassed me and touched me a year ago after speaking at ASU
Why do you believe Carrier, who writes as if he all he did was nothing more than trying to set up a 'date' with her? Even if what Carrier wrote is true, he is in my mind still a sexual predator who hangs around students with the aim of getting in their panties. He is a guy who undoubtedly considers women as sex objects, and I can well imagine that the female students he tries to 'date' are sick and tired of middle-aged creeps like him. They have a right not to be forced to share company with such people, if it can be avoided. The SSA and affiliated organisations have a duty towards the students not to employ types like Carrier in any capacity.

Carrier knowingly broke the rules about not initiating sexual advances towards students in his capacity as speaker at least twice, and one student was annoyed enough to accuse him of sexual harrassment. That makes him a scumbag. It may not be illegal to be a scumbag, but it should still have consequences.
I agree with this.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Shatterface wrote:I doubt Myers will defend Carrier but I'd love to see the Orbitches unleash their full hate on FtB because the ex-FtBers must know shit the rest of us don't.
Had to happen sooner or later, they always eat their own.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

deLurch wrote:
d4m10n wrote:As to whom we can rightly say has been "enabling this to occur" former SSA organizer Ed Clint makes an salient point noting that SSA national cannot dictate to their affiliates whom to invite or avoid. They should have at least warned the affiliates, though, when a speaker was removed from the bureau on account of breaching their conduct policy.
Spot on. I would also have to note, that the SSA's stated actions to the complainant were at best misleading. They should have been upfront with her about what this would mean for Carrier's speaking at other SSA events, and attendance at SSA conferences.

She walked away because she thought the issue was resolved.

Pretty sure I made that point. Ed Clint be stealin me points!

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

hippodown wrote:My moneys on metkas and svan being friends. How could they not be?
I think its because they don't diss the polyamorous lifestyle, seeing as many of them are of that persuasion. Maybe Svan herself. Pretty exciting, eh? :twatson:

Sent from my AstroMech droid using Hologram

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

comhcinc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Quick post for my new job. It's pretty awesome. Hey Brive the company just moved into this new building. I am surrounded by cat6.[imghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160620/bf9191e542a2c1fb70420f7f5661e878.jpg[/img]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Get stuffed.

I'm travelling to Melbourne today just to see the company's brand new purpose build office on the "Paris End" of Collins Street. And to meet one of the IT war bands. I am almost certain there will be no BNC coax. And I have packed my black tee shirt to blend in. pics to follow.

Congrats, well done Com! :dance:
Cool cool. Yeah for those who may be wondering, they were setting up a desk next to where I was sitting. The desk are motorized to allow you to change from sitting to standing during the day.
Dude they have those at Ikea. Hella spensive. Enjoy!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote:
The desk are motorized ..
Well hello Ed Brayton.

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

I kind of agree. But im not up for a public lynching. Fuck skepticon and svan.

hippodown

Post by hippodown »

Agree with jan^^^

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Shatterface wrote:I doubt Myers will defend Carrier but I'd love to see the Orbitches unleash their full hate on FtB because the ex-FtBers must know shit the rest of us don't.
Myer's let Carrier turn Free Thought Blogs into a 4th rate pick up joint to solicit "former" prostitutes and those of legal consenting age.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

JackSkeptic wrote:Had to happen sooner or later, they always eat their own.
Would be the BEST episode of Kitchen Nightmares EVAH!

(Good that this broke today, as we seemed about to eat each other....)

Sent on the wings of love by my original vinyl copy of Band on the Run

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

BarnOwl wrote:
What the hell is that song about, anyway?

Broadly? The lose of innocence. Specifically? The death of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Sorry to disappoint but the plane landed without explosive decompression.

One day Melbourne will build an airport railway to the CBD. But not today.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

This could affect his income. And his situation doesn't allow much wiggle room before he's sleeping outdoors.

Maybe that battalion of girlfriends will save Mr Sex Machine from the cold.

What a spectacular dumbass.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Jan Steen wrote:.... It may not be illegal to be a scumbag, but it should still have consequences.
What's the endgame? a Final Solution eradicating scumbags?

Yes, Richard Carrier should be stripped of the official academic laurels in his towseled hair. And the PZ seal of purity that clasps his toga.
And his Anti-Sex League sash.

But, after we brand a D of disrepute on his forehead...

Do we stop there?

I say yes. I say the filthy court jester, clad in a discarded barrel, caked in dried jizz... should remain as a mad prophet. He may be a Cassandra figure, speaking truth to power, forever disbelieved, mirror of our own hypocrisy. Or he may be a compulsive masturbater with Tourettes. Either way he should roam free in his unregistered minivan, ballcap with a native american mascot logo, and his lewd-slogan t-shirt, a Freemen on the land umm... I mean, his silly little hobbit vest.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

ERV wrote: Cool cool. Yeah for those who may be wondering, they were setting up a desk next to where I was sitting. The desk are motorized to allow you to change from sitting to standing during the day.
Dude they have those at Ikea. Hella spensive. Enjoy![/quote]

I know right? We also have a pingpong table and an arcade machine with about 90 games on it.

Those, sadly, are not motorized.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Agreed. It's a short stumble from Amanda's sofa Monday and Thursday (and her bed Tuesday, Wednesday and every second weekend) - to the porch. And from there to the street.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
The desk are motorized ..
Well hello Ed Brayton.

Has that plane not crashed yet?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Actually you missed the more telling part of that to me.
We support the accusers
Not victims. Accusers.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

hippodown wrote:I kind of agree. But im not up for a public lynching. Fuck skepticon and svan.
We really didn't have much if anything to do with this thing. They were primed to take him out on his own, looks like a long time coming.

I do wonder how this will affect him and his finances. Imagine the ignominy of having to couch surf or work at McDonald's.

Sent by my CarrierPigeon using CrypticMessage

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

On May 31 something happened on my iPad that stopped me reading and embedding tweets from accounts which had blocked me. I could never tweet these snowflakes, but I could read em.

I didn't update either app or OS.

Twitter you are a tease.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Mutually Assured Destruction. Carrier has his trove of backchannel dirt, & has already demonstrated his willingness to go-public with private conversations-- to smear former buddies who turn on him.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Ape+lust wrote:This could affect his income. And his situation doesn't allow much wiggle room before he's sleeping outdoors.
Maybe that battalion of girlfriends will save Mr Sex Machine from the cold.
What a spectacular dumbass.
With a stated income of $15k per year, it sounds like a good chunk of his income was from the speaking circuit. Even for the free speaking gigs, per diem probably made up a decent chunk of it. Maybe he asked for the hotel costs & travel costs in cash, found cheaper ways to travel, combined trips, crashed at someone's house and pocketed the difference.

What I am really interested in is if the head of Camp Quest (one of his favored poly fuck buddies) is going to try and network continued speaking gigs for Richard to keep him solvent.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Ape+lust wrote:This could affect his income. And his situation doesn't allow much wiggle room before he's sleeping outdoors.
Or it could lead him to give up his avocational satyriasis, buckle down, and become a serious professional scholar. Plenty of teaching positions at Ohio St.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:What do you suppose the reaction of society will be to Carrier and SSA?
I'm not sure you would include me as part of society, but here's my reaction so far:

All I know about Carrier and SSA is what I've seen here, and I'm not presuming that I'm getting a fair and complete picture from that, but however that may be, none of it gives me any reason to think that SSA is any worse than any other organization, and whatever anyone might do about Carrier will not resolve any of my concerns about people being violated at SSA events, or anywhere else, not only sexually but many other ways.

One issue that concerns me the most is a betrayal of trust, by Carrier and by SSA, and I agree with Kirbmarc that it isn't the sexuality in Carrier's interests that makes it an issue. I would see it as just as much a betrayal, with just as much possibility of damage, or even more, if someone were combining speaking engagements with recruiting people for some church, or selling waterfront property in Florida.

Apart from that, my reaction most of all is that I would like to see some ideas about what I can do to help prevent long term damage to the children in my life, from all the ways they might be violated, and how to help people in my life recover from it and rise above it, if that has already happened to them.