The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Cnutella

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Cnutella »

After nearly two months of inactivity, the A+ forum is showing some signs of life again, perhaps the forum equivalent of the muscle contractions that may follow a defibrillation attempt?

One former poster had this to share about xir's A+ experience:
I haven't posted to this site in several years but I'll miss it. I found A+ to be one of the most useful and the most frustrating sites I ever posted to. I think that the reason that the site is getting less and less posts is because of what the business world calls barriers to entry. When the site was first set up most of the people who joined shared the same views and history. They had discussed this with each other so much that they developed their own set of rules that worked well for them. When they set the site up, the place was overrun with trolls. Certain discussions became toxic for good reason. But the problem is that a huge set of unwritten rules developed. Newcomers, even ones that had been interested in social justice for many years didn't know all of the rules. Fewer and fewer new members join. Established members got bored with rehashing things over and over.

I was referred to a site that talked about issues for trans people a few days ago. The site said that the terms should be spelled trans women, trans men, and trans people without the spaces. They said that spelling it without the spaces is very insulting. When I came here, I see the words spelled without the spaces in many places. Once you get past the basics, different SJ sites have different rules and different things are considered very insulting. It can be difficult to remember all the rules for all of the different sites, especially for people like myself who have a disability.

When I posted here I learned a lot. I also found that this place was one of the least safe places I've ever posted to. I've had places that called me names, but this is one of the few places that gave me nightmares. I never had a clue what would insult people and it was impossible to look up. Most of the things were not in the facts, couldn't be googled and were radically different than other SJ websites. I once really insulted and hurt someone by saying (Not a quote) that people who really loved each other usually enjoy pleasing their partner(s). It was a general comment not directed at any individual. I am an empathetic man who really doesn't like hurting people. My nickname is scenario because I always try to look at every issue from as many different angles as I can. I want to try to put myself in others people shoes even though I know that I really cannot. I found that anything I said, no matter how basic or noncontroversial could be considered hurtful at this site. I began to doubt myself too much so I had to stop posting.

Despite all of this I will miss this site. I just wasted a few hours writing down a long 7 page post where I described in detail what I liked about this site and at the same time why I found the site to be incredibly unsafe at the same time. I've been thinking about this post on and off for several years. Usually when I wake up in the middle of the night after another nightmare. I will miss the resources on this site. It was and will be in the future one of my resources for SJ issues.
Apparently A+ was nightmare fuel for at least one SJW.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Shatterface wrote:
feathers wrote:
That's all good and well, but if I were a zoo director in the US of A, my first thought would be 'litigation'. If that child had been harmed in any way, they'd be sued into oblivion. In fact I suppose the parents will give it a shot, if there's a lawyer who thinks there' a snowflake's chance in hell of wresting money out of it.
I'd be worried about lawyers from the firm Lowland, Mountain and Silverback.
Didn't they represent Dian Fossey? And look what happened to her.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Kevin Vickers shows once again that Canukistan still has manly men who ar not putting up with ... well see for yourself.

[youtube]VlS2SpGsdx0[/youtube]

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

feathers wrote:
Really? wrote:I find it unfair that BDP is considered a mental disorder. It gives people an excuse to be massive assholes and cunts. It's like calling rape "Sexual Deprivation Correction Disorder."
Everything the client considers abnormal about themselves is a disorder. Which is why the DSM only ever gets thicker and thicker.

Have you ever heard of shrink who told their client on the first consult, "There's nothing wrong with you, dear. Let's leave it here" or "What's wrong with you is, you're an attention whore. Now beat it"? Thought not.
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000+

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Also, the whole gorilla thing would have been more interesting if they had shot the kid instead.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

The reaction to the Harambe shooting is giving The Commander the fucking giggles.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Also, the whole gorilla thing would have been more interesting if they had shot the kid instead.
Or thrown him a LARP sword and shield...

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Oh, and the stupidest reaction I've heard so far from someone, is that "they should have sent DRONES in to distract Harambe", leaving the coast clear to get the kid out.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

What I don't really get is that gorillas aren't carnivorous predators. They aren't lions or tigers. Granted, if a gorilla wants to kill you he or she can probably rip you in half, but then, if a horse wants to kill you, it easily can. So out of this whole zoo, there's not a single keeper who has the guts to go in and distract the gorilla long enough to retrieve the kid?

WWOBD

"what would ophelia benson do?"

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Just tried to google it, but if the answer to "how many people have been killed by gorillas" turned out to be approximately zero, I wouldn't be surprised.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

And since it's at the top of the page, I'm probably right.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Also, the whole gorilla thing would have been more interesting if they had shot the kid instead.
Shoot the kid and the gorilla, then open fire on the crowd. It's time zoos took a harder line.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

BTW, when did Elyse Mofo Anders become Elyse Knowles-Carter? Is this super old news that I just missed?

Maybe Banders finally wised up?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

screwtape wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Hey, pitters! What's the very best fighter plane sim for WWI?
Lots of YT videos on Rise Of Flight. I'd love to try it, but being a mac user I'm stuck with X-Plane.

http://riseofflight.com/
Looks awesome, thanks.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Hunt wrote:Just tried to google it, but if the answer to "how many people have been killed by gorillas" turned out to be approximately zero, I wouldn't be surprised.
There are hordes of gorillas, raping and murdering people every day.

And if don't believe me - you are part of the cover-up.

John D

Post by John D »

MarcusAu wrote:
Hunt wrote:Just tried to google it, but if the answer to "how many people have been killed by gorillas" turned out to be approximately zero, I wouldn't be surprised.

This sure brings out the worst in people. I chastised my nephew when he posted a joke about how negligent the parents must be. He is a white privileged West Coast faggot who has never even baby-sat a kid before. The story is that the parents took their eye off the kid for a bit and he was gone. Sounds very plausible to me. The zoo had a pretty good rail and border around the enclosure... but not a perfect one. A terrible accident in my opinion.

Most of us parents are a bit lucky to have gotten our children to adulthood without a bad accident happening. Imagine how horrible it must be for a parent to have something bad happen to their kid, and then social media and the news attacks you for negligence. Yikes.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Really? wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Niki writing about Borderline Personality Disorder at The Orbit.

http://the-orbit.net/seriously/2016/05/ ... der-month/
I was only recently diagnosed, like last year.
:lol: Why does this come as no surprise?
I find it unfair that BDP is considered a mental disorder. It gives people an excuse to be massive assholes and cunts. It's like calling rape "Sexual Deprivation Correction Disorder."
BPD is a personality disorder, and it's very real and can be very devastating. A few studies indicate the etiology is 40/60 genetic/environment, the latter specifically parental abuse &/or neglect. BPD is characterized by extreme low self-esteem, inability to regulate one's emotions, inability to maintain healthy relationships (including the alternating between idealizing and devaluing loved ones), and impulsive, often self-destructive behavior.

Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), an offshoot of CBT & based on buddhist mindfulness practice, has been proven to be very effective in managing BPD. Meds (often prescribed for comorbidities like depression) normally make it worse. Untreated, BPD can wreck the sufferer's life and that of anyone close to them.

https://bpdcentral.com

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Oh, and the stupidest reaction I've heard so far from someone, is that "they should have sent DRONES in to distract Harambe", leaving the coast clear to get the kid out.
That would only work if he'd taken the kid and climbed up a scale model of the Empire State.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:At TFA, Terry Firma kicks the shit out of public pools in Sweden & Canada pandering to moslems desires for sex-segregated swims:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... lic-pools/
And as usual there are a select few fool/tools arguing what a good idea it is and how we should pander to them for reasons/greater good multicultural bullshit. Don't know where you get the patience to fight the good fight, Matt. Training horses must be more difficult than I thought.
Training horses properly does require considerable patience.

I surf the net during breaks and when it's too hot to do anything outside. I'm having first breakfast right now, and yesterday it was in the 90's already. I'd much rather an intellectual discussion on the historicity of Jesus, but I do derive a certain kick from countering SJW nonsense with a bit of good old-fashioned logic. Also, when bombasts like Aron Ra pretending to be atheist spokespersons bogart the mic and declare the SJW agenda as all our agenda, the silent majority is silenced. So it's good to voice a contrary position here & there, let folks know they aren't alone.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Bah, Matt ninja'd me, but yes it's real. The problem is more with people using it as an excuse for inexcusable behavior (to stick with Really?'s line of reasoning, we can understand pedophilia is a real thing without permitting the molestation of children). Niki strikes me as the sort of person who falls into that category. She doesn't want to accept that the disorder can be as much of a burden on your loved ones as it is on you ("I'm the real victim"), and that outside of your main social circle, nobody is going to consider it worth putting up with for what they're getting in return.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

I read Nikki's post and it doesn't sound like she's pulled some of the more classic BPD moves, like writing letters to partners in blood, threatening suicide at the drop of a hat, etc. That assumes she's being honest. However, there are some Borderlines who are able to manage their behavior and do a better job of masking their howling identity crisis. Some.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

paddybrown wrote:I've no doubt shooting the gorilla was a last resport. An animal like that is an valuable asset to a zoo, and one they'd no doubt spent a lot of money on - not to mention his keepers had probably formed an emotional bond with him. They would have very quickly weighed up the worst case scenario of every option and concluded that all the alternatives were worse. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision, and it's very sad, but it was certainly the right one.
hunt wrote:What I don't really get is that gorillas aren't carnivorous predators. They aren't lions or tigers. Granted, if a gorilla wants to kill you he or she can probably rip you in half, but then, if a horse wants to kill you, it easily can. So out of this whole zoo, there's not a single keeper who has the guts to go in and distract the gorilla long enough to retrieve the kid?
I'd imagine it was SOP to shoot immediately. From a liability standpoint, that was the only prudent recourse for the zoo. From an animal handling standpoint, the suggestion, made by the gorilla expert in the Guardian article I linked, to negotiate a trade for something the gorilla craves, would have been the correct first option.

That boy was in with Harambe for 10 minutes. It was never the gorilla's intent to kill the boy, but the boy could've been seriously injured or killed by accident.

Horses weigh on average 1,000 lbs. Their neck & head alone weigh over 100 lbs. They kick and bite each other as social signaling, and may kick at a fly on their belly or at whatever UFO passes behind their tail. An horse can kill or injure you even if they don't want to.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Cnutella wrote:BTW, when did Elyse Mofo Anders become Elyse Knowles-Carter? Is this super old news that I just missed?

The name is a Beyonce reference. I am curious how the domestic violence charge against Honeybanders was resolved. And Elyse's felony assault charges. Her recent masturbation selfies discouraged me from researching social media.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jet_lagg wrote:Bah, Matt ninja'd me, but yes it's real. The problem is more with people using it as an excuse for inexcusable behavior (to stick with Really?'s line of reasoning, we can understand pedophilia is a real thing without permitting the molestation of children). Niki strikes me as the sort of person who falls into that category. She doesn't want to accept that the disorder can be as much of a burden on your loved ones as it is on you ("I'm the real victim"), and that outside of your main social circle, nobody is going to consider it worth putting up with for what they're getting in return.
I'll have to take all your word on Niki, as I found xir way too toxic to handle in my brief exposure to xir blogging.

All these precious snowflakes pounce upon diagnoses (or self-diagnoses) as get-out-jail-free cards! A personality or mood disorder can explain your antisocial behavior, but it doesn't excuse it.

Ironically, a typical trait of BPD is to blame everyone & everything else for your inability to control your emotions, actions, & reactions.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

I'd be curious to know what correlation there exists between millennial BPDers and gender identity/gender dysphoria / alternate sexuality. I would think it's pretty high, as these seem like great life-rafts for adolescents with BPD tendencies - they offer a manageable explanation for a broader identity crisis, they can be rallying flags on which to self-identify, they open up other options for intimacy which many BPDers use to ease fear of rejection and abandonment, and they act as social differentiatiors to enable them to stand out from "normal" peers, which a promising young BPDer might see as a good way to get attention.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Guest_df4fcc85 wrote:The best part of Occam's razor is how many ways there are of defining it, but you'll notice I never said it meant the simplest explanation IS the best, I said the irony of Billie's remark is that Occam's razor is itself problematically defined. A heuristic that the more parsimonious explanation is preferred.
You need to go back and take a look at what comment of mine triggered your response. I was criticizing your pathetic data, not your (equally pathetic) conclusion or explanation.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Cnutella wrote:BTW, when did Elyse Mofo Anders become Elyse Knowles-Carter? Is this super old news that I just missed?

Hmmm, is Elyse appropriating Beyonce's last name?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Brive1987 wrote:[.img]http://i.imgur.com/Afz8AsM.jpg[/img]
Rebecca Watson wrote:[12:03] There is another comment I found on a blog, from actually one of your own. I want to use it as an example not to embarrass this person but to point out that we have a serious problem when young woman are this ignorant about feminism. So let me read it to you. This is from the UNI Freethoughtblog; Stef McGraw, she posted a transcript of the story that I just told you [mumbles] and she writes:
  • Watson quoting McGraw: my concern is that she takes issue with a man showing interest in her. What's wrong with that? How on earth justifies that he is creepy? Are we not sexual beings? Let's review. It's not that he touched her, or made a unsolicited sexual comment. He merely asked if she liked to come back to his room. She easily could have said, and assuming did say, ‘No thanks I am tired I would like to go to my room to sleep
[13:00] So there are many things wrong with this paragraph, I won't really go into them all. I mention that, asking someone back to your hotel room at four in the morning who you've never spoken to, is the definition of unsolicited sexual comment and in the transcript that Stef posted, she conveniently edited it to begin after I told everyone at the bar that I was exhausted and going back to my room – kind of important point, in which I exactly state exactly what my desire is, because later this man in the elevator, specifically trying to talk me out of doing that. So I did actually made it quite clear, that I was tired and going to my room to sleep. But the real problem is actually in the first sentence. And it's sort of the same problem that the other commenter has: "my concern is that she takes issues with a man showing interest in her"

[13:56] This is unfortunately a pretty standard parroting of misogynistic thought and it's not new. It's something that feminist have been dealing with for ages. In fact, it's feminism 101. In fact, it's covered on a blog called "feminism 101" which you should definitely check out, because it's great. They go over a lot of concepts that maybe new to many of you. But in this case, what we're talking about is the difference between sexual interest, sexual attraction versus sexual objectification. Objectification has a few things about it that separate it from interest. For instance focusing on the physical aspects of a person, ignoring their individuality, and their stated desires; for instance my desire to go to sleep, my desire to not be hit on, which is all I've been talking about all day and also a disinterest in how your actions will impact the object in question and that is really a serious point I think you should consider especially if you want to encourage more women to join to your groups. [15:00] Because there are people in this audience right now, who believe this, that...
  • Watson reads slide: A women's reasonable expectation to feel safe from sexual objectification and assault at a skeptic and atheist events is outweighed by a man's right to sexually objectify her."
There are some good overviews, Freethoughtkampala for one. There are several different events that have to do with Elevatorgate. The "situation" itself is composed of three different events. The aftermath lead to several additional situations (however, there is no agreement what is important). The three are:
  1. The situation in the lift itself. Retold in the video.
  2. The video on youtube, and the reaction to it.
  3. Both of the former, retold on the CFI event and brought to general attention.
Further, significant events where...
  • "Always Name Names" where PZ Myers comments on the situation, without having seen the CFI talk. Because he doesn't know what happened, he cannot fathom the reaction. This has in part to do because the subject exploded into different directions already, but fueled by the accusations on the CFI event.
  • Important for the Slymepit was Abbie's "Bad Form" comment. This has led, over time to a polarisation of the comment section ships, who then fired broadsides at each other shortly afterwards.
Both of these refer directly to the CFI talk.

Now enter Richard Dawkins...
  • Richard Dawkins had not seen the CFI talk and apparently thinks it's overblown. Like PZ Myers, he has no idea that Rebecca Watson had made extreme accusations both towards atheists in general, to people in the audience "right now" and to Stef McGraw. The confusing situation and major actors not caring enough what happened, and consequently not commenting on these aspects make it seem they never happened. At this point, both Dawkins and PZ Myers agree that the situation was only "slightly bad". Richard then adds his "Dear Muslima" from that perspective, which is in that context actually a step towards feminism, not away from it (little did we know about the Age of Islamophobia that was to come yet).
  • Dear Muslima was posted into PZ Myers "Always name names", i.e. also in direct reference to the CFI talk.
The next are the reactions...
  • PZ Myers at first agrees with Dawkins, that it was slightly bad. But Rebecca Watson's and the SJW side's behaviour has led to a massive polarisation for reason now well understood. She went in with accusing people of being death thread writers, parrotting misogynist thoughts, laughing down rape victims, that people wanted to grope and sexual harass and deem this normal, and this tone carried over from then. Myers, siding with Watson, saw only the anger directed at him in response and -- ignoramus that he is -- thought the reaction was rather overblown (like Dawkins, ironically, just confirmation bias from a different side).
  • Rebecca Watson, continueing in this fashion, then declared a boycott on all things Dawkins. When you declare such things from your blog on a network, it's a call for a boycott, not merely a private choice. Again, PZ Myers, who is never wrong, had to go with this, and this costly signal, but he was still in good terms with Richard Dawkins. To resolve his cognitive dissonance, he claimed it was not a boycott at all and misogynist were making this all up. He believes now evil misogynists have made a mountain out of a molehill.
It goes into all kinds of other directions, but this is in essence how the lines were drawn, including between the SJ blogging faction and the YouTube faction. The cocktail created by that point was a strong contrast between the "slightly bad" on the one hand, and the extreme accusations ("rape culture") at the other end, plus a fan-war over people who like Richard Dawkins, or found him unfairly attacked, and the fans of the self-escribed Queen of the Nerds.

Dates and more for the Historian:
Pretext(there is some, detailled here). Actual Elevatorgate
  • Jun 20, 2011 // About Mythbusters, Robot Eyes, Feminism, and Jokes, mentions the incident for the first time.
  • Jul 27, 2011 // CFI Talk Rebecca Watson: The Religious Right vs. Every Woman on Earth | CFI Leadership Conference 2011, retells the event and the YT reactions.
  • Jul 01, 2011 Bad Form, Rebecca Watson // Abbie's take. "Furthermore, because the audience has no clue what youre talking about, they just kinda have to take your word for it that the situation is what it is. [...] How would they know if Watson totally quotemined McGraw?" Hence, bad FORM.
  • Jul 02, 2011 // Always Name Names (with comments restored)
  • July 2, 2011 // Dawkins writes Dear Muslima into Always Name Names in this comment section, #75. He clarified why he thinks it's not the fallacy of relative privation (not as bad as fallacy) on #104 only twenty or so minutes later.
  • Jul 03, 2011 // Oh, no, not again…once more unto the breach PZ Myers comments on it again, interesting quotation: "Since Richard Dawkins has responded and is asking for an explanation of what he is missing, I’ll try to oblige." Like most people, except a few (notably Watson herself), he has no idea what the CFI talk was about. The video is only uploaded nearly a month later...
  • Jul 05, 2011 // Rebecca Watson answers with her All-Thing-Dawknis boycott in "Privilege Delusion", many links suggest that it blew up already by then.
  • Jul 27, 2011 // Video upload of the CFI talk.
What most people were missing is that it's two things. A "slightly bad thing" in a lift, and "rape culture" in a superimposed state, like the Schrödinger Rapist (another thing that came up at the time). The Official Story...
... as well as the mainstream reporting, don't even mention the CFI talk that sparked it all. Curious, isn't it? It's not even a side-note. Hence, later on the story is more like: "Rebecca Watson said "guys don't that", Richard Dawkins responds to her and unleashes the trolls and the hatred against all women". For that, hunt down Richard Carrier, Adam Lee, Amy Roth's SkeptiCon talk and so forth and so on. Misdirection, by accident. Rebecca Watson didn't plan for it, but since nobody pinned her to her words, and only referred to the coffee thing vs Dawkins, this became the official story. We know that it was later in her interest, since she also denied the boycott when that backfired.

I wanted to post a final thing for the anniversary anyway, and had looked up a lot of material before (the formatting was wrecked by some forum update).

Billie from Ockham

http://i.imgur.com/Afz8AsM.jpg

What's funny about the above is how the background picture is obviously upside-down.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Billie from Ockham wrote:http://i.imgur.com/Afz8AsM.jpg

What's funny about the above is how the background picture is obviously upside-down.
:lol:

Watchmen has ruined Rorschach tests for me.

"What do you see in this picture?"

"Rorschach."

"And in this one?"

"Rorschach"

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Cnutella wrote:I read Nikki's post and it doesn't sound like she's pulled some of the more classic BPD moves, like writing letters to partners in blood, threatening suicide at the drop of a hat, etc. That assumes she's being honest. However, there are some Borderlines who are able to manage their behavior and do a better job of masking their howling identity crisis. Some.
I'd say Alex Gabriel fit the profile.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Service Dog wrote:

The name is a Beyonce reference. I am curious how the domestic violence charge against Honeybanders was resolved. And Elyse's felony assault charges. Her recent masturbation selfies discouraged me from researching social media.
Awww man. Now I'm officially old, I guess.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Cnutella wrote:I'd be curious to know what correlation there exists between millennial BPDers and gender identity/gender dysphoria / alternate sexuality. I would think it's pretty high, as these seem like great life-rafts for adolescents with BPD tendencies - they offer a manageable explanation for a broader identity crisis, they can be rallying flags on which to self-identify, they open up other options for intimacy which many BPDers use to ease fear of rejection and abandonment, and they act as social differentiatiors to enable them to stand out from "normal" peers, which a promising young BPDer might see as a good way to get attention.
I have a hunch that one day we'll discover that lead is good for the emotional stability of young people and removing it from fuel was the greatest mistake we ever made.

Billie from Ockham

The Beep explain all: http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160531 ... las-really

Billie from Ockham

MarcusAu wrote:

"Where do you think that I got the name for my fictional world? I just wish that DAW Books had left me room for more than the first three letters on the cover." - John Norman

Billie from Ockham

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I'm having first breakfast right now...
Dude. Did you just dox yourself as a hobbit?

ps. you need to stop reading and citing any study that assigns etiology to genetics and environment in a way that has two values that sum to 100. It's the 21st Century. It's all an interaction with almost no main effects.

ffs

Post by ffs »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
Shatterface wrote: Where you are concerned, I think we've all drawn the same conclusion.
My Pavlovian response to steersbot.
you tickle his clit?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

dogen wrote:

Hmmm, is Elyse appropriating Beyonce's last name?
Spot on.
https://www.google.com/search?q=beyonce ... +real+name

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Cnutella wrote:After nearly two months of inactivity, the A+ forum is showing some signs of life again, perhaps the forum equivalent of the muscle contractions that may follow a defibrillation attempt?

One former poster had this to share about xir's A+ experience:
I haven't posted to this site in several years but I'll miss it. I found A+ to be one of the most useful and the most frustrating sites I ever posted to. I think that the reason that the site is getting less and less posts is because of what the business world calls barriers to entry. When the site was first set up most of the people who joined shared the same views and history. They had discussed this with each other so much that they developed their own set of rules that worked well for them. When they set the site up, the place was overrun with trolls. Certain discussions became toxic for good reason. But the problem is that a huge set of unwritten rules developed. Newcomers, even ones that had been interested in social justice for many years didn't know all of the rules. Fewer and fewer new members join. Established members got bored with rehashing things over and over.

I was referred to a site that talked about issues for trans people a few days ago. The site said that the terms should be spelled trans women, trans men, and trans people without the spaces. They said that spelling it without the spaces is very insulting. When I came here, I see the words spelled without the spaces in many places. Once you get past the basics, different SJ sites have different rules and different things are considered very insulting. It can be difficult to remember all the rules for all of the different sites, especially for people like myself who have a disability.

When I posted here I learned a lot. I also found that this place was one of the least safe places I've ever posted to. I've had places that called me names, but this is one of the few places that gave me nightmares. I never had a clue what would insult people and it was impossible to look up. Most of the things were not in the facts, couldn't be googled and were radically different than other SJ websites. I once really insulted and hurt someone by saying (Not a quote) that people who really loved each other usually enjoy pleasing their partner(s). It was a general comment not directed at any individual. I am an empathetic man who really doesn't like hurting people. My nickname is scenario because I always try to look at every issue from as many different angles as I can. I want to try to put myself in others people shoes even though I know that I really cannot. I found that anything I said, no matter how basic or noncontroversial could be considered hurtful at this site. I began to doubt myself too much so I had to stop posting.

Despite all of this I will miss this site. I just wasted a few hours writing down a long 7 page post where I described in detail what I liked about this site and at the same time why I found the site to be incredibly unsafe at the same time. I've been thinking about this post on and off for several years. Usually when I wake up in the middle of the night after another nightmare. I will miss the resources on this site. It was and will be in the future one of my resources for SJ issues.
Apparently A+ was nightmare fuel for at least one SJW.
Man, Armored Skeptic really needs to give that place up.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Hey Phil, I told a friend about your group , she looked it up and now you have a new fan. Give me cookies.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

As to the gorilla thing:

1. The parents are not at fault. Not in the slightest and it must be horrible to have to deal with their tragedy. I get pissed of with so called epxerts who judge others while having no clue what it's like to manage kids. They are causing real harm to those parents and others who will now know to expect a vicious backlash if anything goes wrong in their lives. Horrible.

The only way to keep kids totally safe is to tie them to a pushchair and never let them free. That is a lot worse than any risk. Ths sort of over protection is a why we have all those special snowflakes today. Adults have never been exposed to risk or new ideas and never taught how to deal with it and learn from mistakes. A lot of that is also caused by people being so called experts in a subject they know fuck all about.

2. The zoo absolutely was right to shoot the animal. Obvious. Only those who use a tragady to push their own emotional buttons don't care to see that.

3. The zoo might have partial responsibilty but to expect a zoo to be 100% child safe is ignorant of reality. Nothing is 100% safe.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:At TFA, Terry Firma kicks the shit out of public pools in Sweden & Canada pandering to moslems desires for sex-segregated swims:

Hmmm. Tricky. Thing is, way back in the eighties, one of my local swimming pools had women-only hours. It certainly wasn't because of islam, given that there were then fewer muslims in my area than you would usually find in a synagogue. As far as I recall, no-one saw it as a massive issue, either. The reasoning behind it, as far as I can recall, was that some women simply prefer to have a swim with none of those ghastly men around. As to whether or not people would have been so accomodating with men-only swimming hours - well, who knows. There's never been much of a demand for it, frankly.

That said, I'm irked that the reasoning behind the gender-specific hours in the article might be motivated by proponents of that dumbass religion. Islam, frankly, needs no encouragement, and concessions like this only embolden it. So...I dunno. Fuck it all, frankly.

Curious that the article makes no mention of men-only swim hours, as I would have thought such devout muzzies would be more demanding of strictly segregated male and female swimming hours, as opposed to a female only and male+female division - which is what the article seems mostly concerned with. I have to wonder if it may actually be more about muslim women simply taking advantage of already established women-only swim hours, but that a) some people are getting het up about it because they blow a gasket whenever a muslim is involved in anything, and that b) some, but mercifully few, nitwits are actually motived to establish women-only swim hours on the basis of The-Religion-Where-God-Says-The-Sun-Sets-In-A-Pool-Of-Water-LOL

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I'd imagine it was SOP to shoot immediately. From a liability standpoint, that was the only prudent recourse for the zoo. From an animal handling standpoint, the suggestion, made by the gorilla expert in the Guardian article I linked, to negotiate a trade for something the gorilla craves, would have been the correct first option.
Like I say, what's the worst case scenario of taking that option? Dead kid, and you could have shot the gorilla and saved him and you didn't. You're ruined, not just legally but personally.

Even worse case scenario: dead kid, you could have shot the gorilla and saved him, some shitstirrer says you didn't because the kid was black, and Cincinnati gets burned down in the inevitable riots.

Even without the legal liability issue, in the current political climate it was the only decision they could have taken.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Maybe some of you would remember Sargon of Akkad. English YouTuber. Bit of a tit.

Well...

He might be facing criminal action from a British MP.

For not raping her.

I mean, the possibility is quite slim, but look how many articles have been written about it! What the fuck!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Richard Sanderson is a complete and utter monomaniac, but I do so enjoy his ability to wind up the SJW. He's made another pitch at harvesting some SJW salt on that muslim swimming thread, and gosh darn, I just couldn't help myself but aid him in his attempt. :lol:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

paddybrown wrote:Like I say, what's the worst case scenario of taking that option? Dead kid, and you could have shot the gorilla and saved him and you didn't. You're ruined, not just legally but personally.

Even worse case scenario: dead kid, you could have shot the gorilla and saved him, some shitstirrer says you didn't because the kid was black, and Cincinnati gets burned down in the inevitable riots.

Even without the legal liability issue, in the current political climate it was the only decision they could have taken.
Couldn't agree more.

Oh, and just to add a little personal note - if it had been one of my kids, I'd have been yelling "blow the fuckers head off" at the top of my lungs.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Tigzy wrote:

Hmmm. Tricky. Thing is, way back in the eighties, one of my local swimming pools had women-only hours. It certainly wasn't because of islam, given that there were then fewer muslims in my area than you would usually find in a synagogue. As far as I recall, no-one saw it as a massive issue, either. The reasoning behind it, as far as I can recall, was that some women simply prefer to have a swim with none of those ghastly men around. As to whether or not people would have been so accomodating with men-only swimming hours - well, who knows. There's never been much of a demand for it, frankly.

That said, I'm irked that the reasoning behind the gender-specific hours in the article might be motivated by proponents of that dumbass religion. Islam, frankly, needs no encouragement, and concessions like this only embolden it. So...I dunno. Fuck it all, frankly.

Curious that the article makes no mention of men-only swim hours, as I would have thought such devout muzzies would be more demanding of strictly segregated male and female swimming hours, as opposed to a female only and male+female division - which is what the article seems mostly concerned with. I have to wonder if it may actually be more about muslim women simply taking advantage of already established women-only swim hours, but that a) some people are getting het up about it because they blow a gasket whenever a muslim is involved in anything, and that b) some, but mercifully few, nitwits are actually motived to establish women-only swim hours on the basis of The-Religion-Where-God-Says-The-Sun-Sets-In-A-Pool-Of-Water-LOL
I'd like to see how they balance segregated pools with unisex changing rooms.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

It's a race thing, apparently...
Our reaction to Harambe the gorilla - and the black boy who fell into his cage - has everything to do with race
The young black boy who fell into his enclosure will grow up to be 21 times more likely to be slain than his white counterparts. If he had been 17-years-old and shot on the same day, would anyone even know his name?
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/our ... 59796.html

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Cnutella wrote:I'd be curious to know what correlation there exists between millennial BPDers and gender identity/gender dysphoria / alternate sexuality. I would think it's pretty high, as these seem like great life-rafts for adolescents with BPD tendencies - they offer a manageable explanation for a broader identity crisis, they can be rallying flags on which to self-identify, they open up other options for intimacy which many BPDers use to ease fear of rejection and abandonment, and they act as social differentiatiors to enable them to stand out from "normal" peers, which a promising young BPDer might see as a good way to get attention.
That's not quite how BPD works, though BPs tend to be 'chameleons' adapting themselves to whoever they're with in an attempt to be accepted. The BP has a difficult time deciding what they really want or who they really are.

Narcissist Personality Disorder, otoh, seems to be on the rise nowadays, and a veritable epidemic among SJW crybullies.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

A sad koala double-flipping the bird.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Shatterface wrote:
Cnutella wrote:I read Nikki's post and it doesn't sound like she's pulled some of the more classic BPD moves, like writing letters to partners in blood, threatening suicide at the drop of a hat, etc. That assumes she's being honest. However, there are some Borderlines who are able to manage their behavior and do a better job of masking their howling identity crisis. Some.
I'd say Alex Gabriel fit the profile.
Assuming Gabrial is not overexagerting his claims (I have a lot of doubts) I can see why he is fucked in the head. If he is blogging to try and sort out his issues that is all good.

What annoys me the most is those claiming some self diagnosed disorder so they can be total wankers. Being an SJW is so cult like it's almost a necessity to do that or not be part of the group. Even Myers did the vegtarian thing to try and be 'one of them'. Regressives are the worst type of abusers. They look for victims, pretend to offer sanctuary then proceed to mentally abuse people once they are in their trap. They ofer no genuine help and even despise those who are doing their best to control their emotional issues.

The best place for any SJW to come would be here. At least the emotions here are genuine and they might find we're not the terrible people their abusers are happy to paint us as. But like all cults, they are under a strict prohibition to do that.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

You too? :lol:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Pitchguest wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

You too? :lol:
I see Richard Carrier violating Jess Philips.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

For those keeping up with my A/C issues. As part of the fix that didn't work yesterday the man "rewired" the line going from the central unit to the compressor.

I notice this a couple of minutes ago.

http://i.imgur.com/cleDMQR.jpg

Frankly now I am glad the thing isn't working and I have had it off.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

feathers wrote:
Really? wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Gingers always want credit for shit they supposed to do.
Every time a redhead tries to have a good time, a ginger has to come along and fuck it up! I looooooove redheads, but I hate gingers.
Indeed. It can be no accident that 'ginger' is an anagram of 'nigger'.
A couple of G's, an R and an E, an I and an N n n n n ...................

Malky

Post by Malky »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

That's pretty much what I could see :think:

Billie from Ockham

Pitchguest wrote:Maybe some of you would remember Sargon of Akkad. English YouTuber. Bit of a tit.

Well...

He might be facing criminal action from a British MP.

For not raping her.

I mean, the possibility is quite slim, but look how many articles have been written about it! What the fuck!
The British are assholes. They couldn't let Canada enjoy the attention of taking Ghomeshi to court for not fucking some women. Oh, no. They needed to one-up that shit. So they're going after Sargon for not raping a women.

Com'on other Commonwealth countries! Get off your asses and arrest someone for not murdering a woman. Better yet, make it an underage woman. Yeah. That's the ticket. Oh, wait....

[youtube]ghCTZF61ey0[/youtube]

Billie from Ockham

Bhurzum wrote:Oh, and just to add a little personal note - if it had been one of my kids, I'd have been yelling "blow the fuckers head off" at the top of my lungs.
Again, please keep in mind where this happened and who was involved. I would strongly advise that you specify whether it's the gorilla or the child that you want to be shot.

[youtube]HB4pOuY37ZM[/youtube]

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Malky wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

That's pretty much what I could see :think:
I saw a sad koala with a Biedermeier hairdo (probably the reason why it's sad).