The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Badger3k

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Badger3k »

Old_ones wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Well that just happens to be fucking inconvenient. Just think, there would've been no need for a fundraiser if Angry Black Womyn's cat had been pretty much like any other cat. The perils of being that one. special. snowflake...

http://i.imgur.com/jRjwyj6.png
Laser pens cause frustration and distress in pets because there is nothing solid to capture.
I've heard this before, but my cat seems to love his pointer. He knows what the key chain attached to it and the laser button sound like, and if I so much as press the button or pick it up he'll come running from whatever room he happens to be in. If I don't start shining it he'll stare at me and meow for awhile. I could be wrong, but the fact that he seems to recognize that the pointer and myself are both necessary for the red dot to come makes me think that he has a reasonable idea of what is going on (if you account for the fact that he has no idea what light is or how it works, of course).
[youtube]B2Je1CEPkUM[/youtube]

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Old_ones wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Question for the pit.

What do you (the you being the you that is reading this) think about the Saxons?
Pretty cool.

[youtube]2oLC0nOfWGc[/youtube]

Not as cool as vikings though...

[youtube]u-T6q0XajGU[/youtube]
[youtube]IqjYOasI6YI[/youtube]

[youtube]se78ttwyrcQ[/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I like Anjuli Pandavar's blog. Also I don't think she is going to wither under a PC onslaught from the Horde.
Anjuli says

2016-04-05 at 19:48

You might find this illuminating, for both the Qur’an and the Hadith. http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

abear says

2016-04-06 at 21:21

Anjuli: thanks for the link. http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
I’ve read the site from time to time over the last several years.
There are people that don’t want to admit how much and how pervasive violence and oppression is in islamic culture. I would bet there will be a few readers that will consider you an islamophobe for supplying that link.:-)

Anjuli says

2016-04-06 at 23:13

Let them bring it on.

Read more: http://freethoughtblogs.com/anjuli/2016 ... z45AbDKhu1

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I...

...I'm alone here today, aren't I?
As long as you have head mates, you're never alone.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Xenu wrote:Cartoon Anita Sarkeesian Avatar (snip)
LOL.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... llface.png

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Xenu wrote:Cartoon Anita Sarkeesian Avatar (snip)

http://static1.fjcdn.com/comments/Pathe ... dce10f.png

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

HunnyBunny wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
I did just watch this tonight. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/vi ... rthed.html

It was pretty good.
You should watch the Last Kingdom from the BBC, it's very good. I'm biased towards the Vikings, Yorkshire being big on Vikings and we knew someone who found a viking gold hoard while metal detecting. The guy who found the hoard with his son used to come up and buy antiques from us, until he disappeared once he got the payout from the gold. Bastard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vale_of_York_Hoard

Anyway, good luck with your cultural appropriation in the SCA. ;)
I didn't know you were from that neck of the woods. Lived in York through the 90s.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Currently in Lynden, Washington. Was in Mount St. Helens yesterday. Hope to be in BC Sunday. Aren't there a bunch of pytters in this area?
Are you heading north by boat (Port Hardy to Prince Rupert) or by road?
By road. Meeting 2 other couples here and caravaning to Alaska.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Clarence wrote: And then there is this news.
Does it seem harmless to you?

http://freebeacon.com/issues/feds-spend ... gressions/
That's extraordinarily fucked up.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

I don't know that much about Surly Amy's background.
Is she profiting from cultural appropriation with these?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:

Fuck - thought that said 'free bacon'.

I feel so cheated.

Git

Post by Git »

welch wrote:
comhcinc wrote:C+? I am getting better in my old age!
I'd give you a C++ but I don't want to...

...objectify you.
:rimshot:

John D

Post by John D »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:

Yep - It will be very poorly designed... no doubt. The point of this $500k study is to prove there are microagressions in science classes. They will find them... guaranteed, because they will define them as they watch the videos. The definition is so loose they can't help but find them.

Also, I would bet that they will NOT use a control. They will not look for microagressions in a class that favors women (say Literature).

Fuck these "scientists" to the moon. I live in Michigan and part of this study is funded with my taxes. (although it is Federally funded... so really the rest of the states are helping fund my local Uni... haha. Last laugh is ours I guess.)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Eskarina wrote:
Steersman wrote::lol: Hoist with me own petard? ;-)

However, while I'll concede that that cartoon was a little simplistic - kind of the nature of satire - in that there are simple but right answers (2+2=4), and complex but wrong answers (geocentrism), you might consider that repudiating the literalism of the Quran or get deported qualifies as one of the former.
Errr, no, I mightn't. There's only you who tries to ascertain your opinions as a fact. But you are heartily welcome at my work place, where I get to meet quite a few refugees on a daily basis, and tell them of your ideas.
I think you probably mean "assert". But you condone the violence that would supposedly follow from me doing that? I should thereby be intimidated from speaking my mind on the issue? You might read - and pay close attention to - the recent Charlie Hebdo editorial on the issue.

In any case, you may wish to ask those "refugees" whether they also would support these perspectives:
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pow/k ... berlin.jpg
A note found at a 'refugee' center in Berlin.
As a Muslim doctor in Florida recently explained, killing
homosexuals in the name of Islam is an act of "compassion."

You might also read, and discuss with those "refugees", several of the recent posts from Anjuli Pandavar on the issue, the first of which is the source of the above link, as well as the this one on Regular Muslim who loves Muhammad and Jesus murders fellow Muslim
Eskarina wrote:
Steersman wrote:Particularly in light of the fact that such deportations have been chosen in the past as solutions to otherwise intractable problems, many due to Islam - like the partition of India (14 million people moved), or the population exchange between Greece & Turkey in 1923.
Were they successful? I think not.
You are, of course, welcome to your opinion. But you might consider that that one in particular doesn't hold much if any water at all. Consider this elaboration from Wikipedia:
According to some sources, the population exchange, albeit messy and dangerous for many, was executed fairly quickly by respected supervisors.[7] If the goal of the exchange was to achieve ethnic-national homogeneity, then this was achieved by both Turkey and Greece. For example, in 1906, nearly 20 percent of the population of present-day Turkey was non-Muslim, but by 1927, only 2.6 percent was. ....

Because of the unanimous decision by the Greek and Turkish governments that minority protection would not suffice to ameliorate ethnic tensions after the First World War, population exchange was promoted as the only viable option. ....

An exchange would also be useful as a response to violence in the Balkans; ‘there were’, in any event, ‘over a million Turks without food or shelter in countries in which neither Europe nor America took nor was willing to take any interest’. ....

Furthermore, violent incidents as the Istanbul Pogrom (1955) directed primarily against the ethnic Greek community, as well as the Armenian and Jewish minority, greatly accelerated emigration of Greeks, reducing the 200,000-strong Greek minority in 1924 to just over 2,500 in 2006. The 1955 Istanbul Pogrom caused most of the Greek inhabitants remaining in Istanbul to flee to Greece. ....
Bonus points for a spirited and frank discussion with those "refugees" of the Greek genocide perpetrated by Turkey between 1913-1922 (only 500,000 dead - give or take a 100,000 or two).
Eskarina wrote:
Steersman wrote:And you might also consider that refusing to face that fact qualifies as a case of the proverbial straining at the gnat and swallowing the camel whole. .... And another one, hot off the press:
Wake up and smell the bloodshed: Addressing the Ideology that Connects Terrorists from Indonesia to India to Indiana. #NothingToDoWithIslam - yea, right.
Unfortunately, I never said that Islam has nothing to do with it. Just that things are usually not as simple as they seem.
True. But that doesn't mean that wringing your hands and running around like the proverbial chicken with its head cut off moaning "whatever shall we do?" is a particularly viable solution. While closing the borders to Muslim immigrants and banning the "religion" might well be somewhat "problematic", there's more than a little bit of evidence to suggest that it is the simplest one likely to have any chance of reducing the carnage due to "The Religion of Peace" [ha! what a fucking joke].

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Shots fired

http://www.weeklystandard.com/bill-clin ... le/2001877

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Problems with postings are due to a flaky real-time blacklist I've been using. I've disabled it.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

welch wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Nice to see so few Orbiteers.

But.

Dr Miller

:lol: :lol:

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/qrpxXCy.jpg[/img]
She does appear to have a doctorate, so it's legit. Pretentious, but legit.

I'm actually more impressed by the FSU degree. That film school is not easy to get in to or do well in.
And yet leads to nothing. Her current a J D reads "Assisting with backend, research, web design, writing, and marketing online". What a waste of raw talent.

Still, 10 words more than what Alex spun his Oxford degree into. You go girrrl.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

jet_lagg wrote:Shots fired

http://www.weeklystandard.com/bill-clin ... le/2001877

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
A little bit longer article on Washington Post about the same event.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... rime-bill/

A quote I found interesting:
He later added: "You are defending the people who killed the lives you say matter," apparently referring to a protester's sign mentioning Hillary Clinton's contemporaneous comments about "superpredators." She herself has expressed regret for the comment, though her husband went in a different direction.

Those comments were something of a change of position for Clinton, who earlier in this cycle appeared to walk back his role in the increased incarceration that, as Clinton conceded on Thursday, President Obama was trying to undo. "I signed a bill that made the problem worse, and I want to admit it," he said at an NAACP gathering last July.

His tone on Thursday was very different, demanding that the crowd and the protesters understand the political moment during which the bill was developed.
Seems like Democratic politicians are starting to learn the same lesson as everyone else about these people. You don't accommodate the nutjobs. Refute. Ridicule. Undermine. These people are not your friends, and apologies and accommodations will only embolden them to be louder and more aggressive.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Re returns.

I spy with my little eye ....

1x rusted on staffer and
+ Namazie
+ Goldstein

Virtually no reference to patriarchy/privilege but rather a focus on religion's role in setting parameters around woman. Popcorn rating? Less than a cup.

Still curious how Doktor Miller (sorry, nothing involving gender studies counts) snuck in. I'm even more curious to see if she pops conventional smoke and flies under the radar or tries to raise the Orbitard Banner before a snickering crowd. I guess if you need a token FtBer then she has most to lose by going full 'tard.

WiS2: SJ Highwater Mark

http://i.imgur.com/uiH5fW8.jpg

WiS4

http://i.imgur.com/qrpxXCy.jpg

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Shatterface wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:

Fuck - thought that said 'free bacon'.

I feel so cheated.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Part of what I see at the heart of online feuding among atheists is the corruption of institutions by career interests masquerading as interest in reducing and counteracting oppression. I remember a time when the feminism and social justice activism in media stories really was about reducing and counteracting various kinds of oppression in the larger society, much more than it is now.

It looks to me like part of what has happened, that has led to the corruption in institutions that we've been seeing, is the emergence of academic, writing and speaking careers in feminism and social justice. The writing and speaking about feminism and social justice that gets the most media attention has been influenced more and more by self-serving career interests, and less and less by real concerns, or even real knowledge, about oppression in the larger society. It becomes more and more about the virtual parallel funhouse-mirror world in media stories, and less and less about the world that any of us actually live in.

It looks to me like in the world we actually live in, the people who are actually being oppressed the most, include some white people and some men, and I don't see any reason to be less concerned about that oppression, than about any other.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Amazing how Dr Goldstein survives without the ostentatious public display of her PhD.

I'm getting Dr Carrier PhD vibes from Ms Miller.

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Well, Bill Clinton dun did it now. He black-on-black-crimed some BLM protesters.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Xenu wrote:Well, Bill Clinton dun did it now. He black-on-black-crimed some BLM protesters.

We are not allowed to talk aboot American politics. It triggers Dave.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

HoneyWagon wrote: I don't know that much about Surly Amy's background.

You stupid fucking moran.
What were you thinking? Or did you think? Or CAN you think?
What kind of slow-learning redarded cretin dumbfuck are you?
'Cultural appropriation' ?!? Hell no!
The native-skinned Virgin de Guadalupe miraculously appeared to Mexican indians as a vision from God!...
Indicating that the Catholic conquistadors and indigenous peoples are forever united under the same God. Hallelujah!
Thus the ancient day of worship and prayer to the goddess Mictecacihuatl merges seamlessly
on All Saints Day-- with el Dia de Mueros-- the official, federal state-sanctioned religious holiday in Mexico--
with offerings and prayers to the holy dead, in their immortal afterlife in Christian Heaven.

What part of Secular Atheist jewelry don't you understand?!!!

Durrrrrrrrrr@!@@!!@!@!!!!!1!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

There is a clear correlation between those grads who use "Dr" and individuals excluded from academia and/or struggling on the tenure track.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Btw Thanks everyone on their thoughts aboot the Saxons. I think I am going with that because the garb is cool. Still not sure aboot a backstory (i.e what I want to be when I grow up).

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Brive1987 wrote:There is a clear correlation between those grads who use "Dr" and individuals excluded from academia and/or struggling on the tenure track.
I'm reminded of a Q&A where Hitchens alternated between insisting people call him "Professor Hitchens" or "Doctor Hitchens". Whatever title the questioner went with, Hitchens would then demand the opposite.

dogen

Post by dogen »

jet_lagg wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:There is a clear correlation between those grads who use "Dr" and individuals excluded from academia and/or struggling on the tenure track.
I'm reminded of a Q&A where Hitchens alternated between insisting people call him "Professor Hitchens" or "Doctor Hitchens". Whatever title the questioner went with, Hitchens would then demand the opposite.
[youtube]kGpsXuMvApo[/youtube]

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

dogen wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
[youtube]kGpsXuMvApo[/youtube]
That kid's a dead ringer for Brando.

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Heina Dadabhoy was thankfully able to secure her Surly-ramic before she was blacklisted.

https://cdn-img-1.wanelo.com/p/dbb/0cc/ ... 54-q80.jpg

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Or in other words, upwords of 77% of them.
Across all scientific fields, NSF data suggest that only about 23 percent of Ph.D.s land tenure or tenure-track positions at academic institutions within three to five years of finishing grad school. If you assume that every science Ph.D. wants a career in academia, this seems like a dismally low employment rate. But academic jobs aren’t as coveted by people trained in science as you might think.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... fort_.html

Academia is a pyramid scheme. There aren't even close to enough positions in academe for the people who get Ph.D.s, and more and more classes are being taken on by adjunct professors who are basically disposable part-timers that the university brings in to lower costs. For those of us in STEM this isn't as big a deal, because we have skills that can be useful in places like industry, finance, or secondary education.

If you have a "decolonization studies" Ph.D., or you wrote your dissertation on Twilight, then good luck. As it turns out, there aren't any industries that need pop culture theorists. There are more people qualified to teach high school social studies than there are jobs doing that, so your overqualification leaves you without that fallback. If you are smart you set up some kind of scam "inclusiveness consulting" gig, or make it as an professional victim. If you are stupid, you make $20K a year for the rest of your life as an adjunct or you start a new career as a barista.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:

Yep - It will be very poorly designed... no doubt. The point of this $500k study is to prove there are microagressions in science classes. They will find them... guaranteed, because they will define them as they watch the videos. The definition is so loose they can't help but find them.

Also, I would bet that they will NOT use a control. They will not look for microagressions in a class that favors women (say Literature).

Fuck these "scientists" to the moon. I live in Michigan and part of this study is funded with my taxes. (although it is Federally funded... so really the rest of the states are helping fund my local Uni... haha. Last laugh is ours I guess.)
Dogshit methodology will produce dogshit results.

Hey, I have two dogs -- the government should give me $1,000,000!

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Steersman, here's one of the people you want to have deported.
How the White Muslim Converted

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

As a rule I never address anyone as 'Doctor' unless they are cupping my balls and asking me to cough.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:1)I'm on holiday right now so offline more. 2)Didn't get a job, 2)and now my mother and my husband are having a fight. FML.
1): Holiday or unemployment?

2): That really suck.

3): It's the natural order of things.

I still don't get why islamic terrorists go and blow themselves up for 72 virgins. In the end, it just means they'll also get 72 mothers-in-law.
1) Holiday. My rage will determine whether or not I decide to become unemployed.

2) RAGE.

3) I suppose this is true.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

3) inevitable srsly

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Old_ones wrote:
Or in other words, upwords of 77% of them.
Across all scientific fields, NSF data suggest that only about 23 percent of Ph.D.s land tenure or tenure-track positions at academic institutions within three to five years of finishing grad school. If you assume that every science Ph.D. wants a career in academia, this seems like a dismally low employment rate. But academic jobs aren’t as coveted by people trained in science as you might think.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... fort_.html

Academia is a pyramid scheme. There aren't even close to enough positions in academe for the people who get Ph.D.s, and more and more classes are being taken on by adjunct professors who are basically disposable part-timers that the university brings in to lower costs. For those of us in STEM this isn't as big a deal, because we have skills that can be useful in places like industry, finance, or secondary education.

If you have a "decolonization studies" Ph.D., or you wrote your dissertation on Twilight, then good luck. As it turns out, there aren't any industries that need pop culture theorists. There are more people qualified to teach high school social studies than there are jobs doing that, so your overqualification leaves you without that fallback. If you are smart you set up some kind of scam "inclusiveness consulting" gig, or make it as an professional victim. If you are stupid, you make $20K a year for the rest of your life as an adjunct or you start a new career as a barista.
I'm glad to see a clear pathway for success if I progress from MA Military History to PhD.

Guess I''d be "Dr Brive" till I knock Carlin off his perch. .... Has a ring to it.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

John D wrote:Also, I would bet that they will NOT use a control. They will not look for microagressions in a class that favors women (say Literature).
I can almost guarantee that you're correct. A decent study would have had (at least) two conditions with four measures each: a traditionally male field and a traditionally female field, with measures of "micro-aggressions" by men and women against men and women. They are doing one-eighth of the required work, looking only at male-on-female aggression in a male field. With nothing to compare this to, the work is just about worthless. Just one more eighth of the required work would make it at least a little worthwhile.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

d4m10n wrote:3) inevitable srsly
Amen.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

They have two cave trolls:

http://www.thetaskforce.org/staff-bio-kayley-whalen/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kayley-wh ... 77910.html

Fraction of transwoman among WISC4 speaker line-up is ~ 37x that of the general population.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Sunder wrote:
Malky wrote:Something for the pit artists to play with:

https://i.chzbgr.com/fill400x232/774661/h9E2252E4/

I got a feeling this has been shared on the Pit before but if not I'm happy to be the one to do it.

[youtube]e5HClEzE4ww[/youtube]
Challenge accepted.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

pfff "challenge"

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:They have two cave trolls:

http://www.thetaskforce.org/staff-bio-kayley-

[brive]
One tentative foot in the real world:
Kayley’s a social justice activist and writer who works at the intersections of transgender issues, humanism, drug policy reform and HIV/AIDS harm reduction. She also volunteers as a member of the Communications Committee for the Ingersoll Gender Center.
[/brive]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kayley-wh ... 77910.html

[brive]
Not so much ...
"I am a proud bisexual polyamorous transgender woman"
[/brive]

Fraction of transwoman among WISC4 speaker line-up is ~ 37x that of the general population.

free thoughtpolice

I went for a walk in the bird sanctuary and witnessed a muskrat chasing another around and aggressively mating it. It triggered a hor4rible flashback. :(
[youtube]xBYV_7a0FQs[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Oh I say.

She's Doktor Ashley even when Twitter shit posting.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:Oh I say.

I have no problem with people who have put in the time and the effort being referred to as doctor. I know if I ever did all that work I would expect the same.

Of course I am also better than everyone :twatson:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

jimhabegger wrote:Steersman, here's one of the people you want to have deported.
How the White Muslim Converted
Thanks. One more we know where to find come the revolution - or Trump's coronation. ;-)

How 100,000 Britons have chosen to become Muslim... and average convert is 27-year-old white woman

So? Even apart from questioning their sanity or understanding, four or five thousand a year isn't anything to write home about. For instance, you might take a look at the Pew Forum Survey, particularly Chapter Two on changes in religious affiliations. A couple of highlights:
Overall, 2.6% of the U.S. adult population [~ 8 million] has switched their affiliation to Catholic after being raised in another faith or in no faith at all. ....

Some 4.5% of the adult population was raised as something other than Baptist but is now Baptist; the number for Methodists is 2.4%. ....

Overall, fewer than one-in-five Protestants (16%) were raised outside of Protestantism. This means that more than eight-in-ten Protestants were raised either in the same Protestant family (e.g., Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, etc.) with which they are currently affiliated (54%) or have switched from one Protestant family to another (29%). ....]
Lots of reasons why people stay in a church or "religion", or switch to another one. That they do so is no reason to assert that all such reasons are particularly credible or tenable.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

HoneyWagon wrote:I don't know that much about Surly Amy's background.

Nah, they're OK - obviously painted by toddlers at a Montessori preschool in Juarez.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Brive1987 wrote:Re returns.

*snip*

http://i.imgur.com/uiH5fW8.jpg

WiS4

One of those speakers from WiS2 has a post up, confirming her attendance at WiS4 - yes, Zvan will be there, although she laments that bygone age when SJs ruled the roost came close to imploding an entire 'movement':
Where I’ll Be for My Birthday
April 6, 2016 Stephanie Zvan
All right, yes, my birthday isn’t until September, but I know where I’ll be and what I’ll be doing. I’ll be at the fourth Women in Secularism conference in D.C.

It will be bittersweet, as this is the first conference since Melody Hensley has left CFI. I also personally think recent changes at CFI have made the future of the conference unclear. Still, this conference has been an important catalyst for change in the atheist and humanist movements, and I expect it will be again. I’m not going to miss that.
she sums up a few speakers, but manages to make it all about how she has known these women for a long time, and it's about time CFI recognised her brilliant abilities in recognising talent:
I’ve been advocating for Elzie to be a part of this conference for as long as I’ve known it was happening. To be fair, I received nothing but enthusiasm for the idea. I was just too impatient to wait for confirmation.
I’ve helped interview Melanie for Atheists Talk, and I really liked her 2014 Skepticon talk. “Soft” sciences for the win!
You’ll notice the use of first names for a lot of these women. That’s because I know some of them better than I think organized atheism or humanism do. That’s one of the things I hope Women in Secularism changes. It’s stirred up our movements before. I’m hoping it will do the same this year. It’s what I’m going for.
Clearly, Zvan is incredibly important to AS women. It's a wonder she's not speaking again. There should be a petition to correct this oversight by CFI. :fpig:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160408015 ... -birthday/

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Steersman, here are some more of the people you would have to deport, to be perfectly safe from the harmful influences of the Quran on people's behavior:

Cherokee Baha'is

They're followers of the Baha'i Faith, which is growing and spreading all over the world, including all over Europe and North America, promoting the view that Muhammad was an authentic prophet of God, and that the words of the Koran are the words of God Himself. Most of the Baha'is that I've known in the US were previously Christians, who now see the Quran as a revelation from God, and would be very unlikely to spite on it or repudiate it. Most of them, and their parents, grandparents and great-grandparents were born in the US, and are indistinguishable in their appearance and dress from multitudes of other Americans. You might encounter some resistance from a lot of Americans, if you try to have them all deported.

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Sunder wrote:Terry Firma writes a piece on religiously sanctioned honor killings, and the increasingly buffoonish FA comment section chimes in with apologetics likening theocratic sanctioning of violence and murder with US domestic violence.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... and-wives/
Muslim terrorism/murders are turned into diatribes about 'religion' or Christianity and if you mention the word 'Muslim' you get jumped. They ignore threads about muslim treatment of women. Muslim terrorism against other Muslims in the MidEast is turned into a diatribe against the West. I mention it once in a while on those threads and get told to f-off.

Last time I commented was about the Bangladesh 'Muslim' who killed an atheist. I mentioned that after 57 comments the word 'Christian' was mentioned 24 times and 'Muslim' was mentioned once. I was told to fuck off.

They either make a thread about some kind of Muslim terrorism/mysoginy or other forms of Muslim hatred into a rant about the West, Christianity, white males or a combination of the above. If they can't they ignore it.

It's the final conclusive proof that the fundamentalist left is not about women's right's or anything else other than hatred of the West, Christianity and white men. It is a hate group. And people need to bang them over the head with it and direct people to threads like that to show them how the authoritarian left is all about hate and nothing else.

And I wish the lunatic sociologist classes - including women's/gender/race classes - were classified as promoters of hatred and any universities offering these hate classes would be denied state funding of any kind.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote:

I have no problem with people who have put in the time and the effort being referred to as doctor. I know if I ever did all that work I would expect the same.

Com, Com.

You do a PhD to kick start an assault on the walls of academia (after which it becomes largely irrelevant), to meet a specific professional requirement or as a satisfying intellectual wank - which is fine.

Then you get the subset who do one to acquire intellectual plumage which they then spray in all directions. These people need to be pointed at and then driven away with sticks.

Or eaten.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... 36-h157-nc

Really?

Post by Really? »

I'm still trying to figure out why we need a Women in Secularism 4 when women and their false accusations of rape and sexual harassment have dominated the world of secular activism for the past several years. It reminds me of having a Men in Advertising conference in 1963.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/c8f0ac727c44 ... 1_1280.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

jimhabegger wrote:Steersman, here are some more of the people you would have to deport, to be perfectly safe from the harmful influences of the Quran on people's behavior:

Cherokee Baha'is

They're followers of the Baha'i Faith, which is growing and spreading all over the world, including all over Europe and North America, promoting the view that Muhammad was an authentic prophet of God, and that the words of the Koran are the words of God Himself.
[youtube]GJLeBM6-AaM[/youtube]

Piss on your "God Himself" - and on the Quran.
jimhabegger wrote:Most of the Baha'is that I've known in the US were previously Christians, who now see the Quran as a revelation from God, and would be very unlikely to [spit] on it or repudiate it. .... You might encounter some resistance from a lot of Americans, if you try to have them all deported.
Maybe "we" will be forced to just ban the "religion" and tear down the mosques - like Angola did. And deport the mullahs who are particularly obnoxious - like France did. But I might point out again that some 5 to 10 million Muslims have been deported in the past - push comes to shove, I rather doubt that that solution won't seriously be considered an option.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Re returns.

*snip*

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/uiH5fW8.jpg[/img]

WiS4

One of those speakers from WiS2 has a post up, confirming her attendance at WiS4 - yes, Zvan will be there, although she laments that bygone age when SJs ruled the roost came close to imploding an entire 'movement':
Where I’ll Be for My Birthday
April 6, 2016 Stephanie Zvan
All right, yes, my birthday isn’t until September, but I know where I’ll be and what I’ll be doing. I’ll be at the fourth Women in Secularism conference in D.C.

It will be bittersweet, as this is the first conference since Melody Hensley has left CFI. I also personally think recent changes at CFI have made the future of the conference unclear. Still, this conference has been an important catalyst for change in the atheist and humanist movements, and I expect it will be again. I’m not going to miss that.
she sums up a few speakers, but manages to make it all about how she has known these women for a long time, and it's about time CFI recognised her brilliant abilities in recognising talent:
I’ve been advocating for Elzie to be a part of this conference for as long as I’ve known it was happening. To be fair, I received nothing but enthusiasm for the idea. I was just too impatient to wait for confirmation.
I’ve helped interview Melanie for Atheists Talk, and I really liked her 2014 Skepticon talk. “Soft” sciences for the win!
You’ll notice the use of first names for a lot of these women. That’s because I know some of them better than I think organized atheism or humanism do. That’s one of the things I hope Women in Secularism changes. It’s stirred up our movements before. I’m hoping it will do the same this year. It’s what I’m going for.
Clearly, Zvan is incredibly important to AS women. It's a wonder she's not speaking again. There should be a petition to correct this oversight by CFI. :fpig:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160408015 ... -birthday/
Ah SZvan's children of the corn.

Elzie:
"who became known for documenting the events of Ferguson on Twitter in August 2014."

Then there is ..

Emily Willingham - the only other speaker listed as "Dr"

annd ..... she -

"spent some time on the tenure track, publishing thirty-plus papers along the way in the field of sex determination and development."

I'm guessing that is code for a swing and a miss?

free thoughtpolice

Brive1987 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Com, Com.

You do a PhD to kick start an assault on the walls of academia (after which it becomes largely irrelevant), to meet a specific professional requirement or as a satisfying intellectual wank - which is fine.

Then you get the subset who do one to acquire intellectual plumage which they then spray in all directions. These people need to be pointed at and then driven away with sticks.

Or eaten.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... 36-h157-nc
Is that real?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Is that real?
Yes.
http://www.china.org.cn/video/2011-05/0 ... 499303.htm

welch

Post by welch »

katamari Damassi wrote:
welch wrote:
dogen wrote:
I think Saxons is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills kelts and doesnt afraid of anything.
He was great as the evil robot in "The Six Million-Dollar Man"
Um.. Spoiler alert, Welch?

From 1977?