The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Shatterface

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Shatterface »

Hunt wrote:
feathers wrote:Don't ask where this is coming from. My guess would be "Germany?".

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-x ... e=57931FC5
"Kinder" is german for children.
:nin:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Hunt wrote:
feathers wrote:Don't ask where this is coming from. My guess would be "Germany?".

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-x ... e=57931FC5
Das weiß äch doch, äch bin Niederdeutsch.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Hunt wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:I'm all for dog centred community building.

[.img]http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5 ... rmat=1500w[/img]
As cute as that is, if my doorbell rang in the morning and I opened it to that, I would be freaked out.
If it's either that, or the Mormons, which would you pick?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

feathers wrote:
Hunt wrote:

[.img]https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-x ... e=57931FC5[/img]
Woher kommen Sie, aus den Niederlanden oder aus Deutschland?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:
feathers wrote:
Hunt wrote:"Kinder" is german for children.
Woher kommen Sie, aus den Niederlanden oder aus Deutschland?
Aus den Niederlanden. We still have an national hymn starting:

Wilhelmus van Nassouwe
Ben ick, van Duytschen bloet

After which we get to sing we've always honoured the King of Spain.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

feathers wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

Wilhelmus van Nassouwe

King of Spain, by Moxy Fruvous.

[youtube]ylaLG-DdT7E[/youtube]

Jian Ghomeshi appears at ca. 3.10.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Passed through Midland, TX the other day-childhood home of GW Bush. First off; the place is a dump and the town smells like a fart. Secondly; you can't drink the water there because of groundwater contamination(various chemicals but mostly trichloroethane). The city officials act like the source of this pollution is an unsolvable mystery. And yet the city will likely vote Republican because sticking it to the gays and getting Jesus in schools is more important than safe drinking water. They deserve sick kids.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

katamari Damassi wrote:Passed through Midland, TX the other day-childhood home of GW Bush. First off; the place is a dump and the town smells like a fart. Secondly; you can't drink the water there because of groundwater contamination(various chemicals but mostly trichloroethane). The city officials act like the source of this pollution is an unsolvable mystery. And yet the city will likely vote Republican because sticking it to the gays and getting Jesus in schools is more important than safe drinking water. They deserve sick kids.
Jesus will make their water pure if they pray hard enough. If he hasn't already it's just because they haven't prayed hard enough.

Either that or the gays are poisoning the city. The fiends!

feathers

Post by feathers »

katamari Damassi wrote:Passed through Midland, TX the other day-childhood home of GW Bush.First off; the place is a dump and the town smells like a fart.
So is, and does, the man.
Secondly; you can't drink the water there because of groundwater contamination(various chemicals but mostly trichloroethane). The city officials act like the source of this pollution is an unsolvable mystery. And yet the city will likely vote Republican because sticking it to the gays and getting Jesus in schools is more important than safe drinking water. They deserve sick kids.
But the sick kids don't deserve their sick parents.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

MacGruberKnows wrote:I wait for the day when non-transitioned M-F(?) transgenders who prefer PiV-sex and great hairy back and faces and chests, demand urinals in women's washrooms.
I've been in several women's washrooms and they have plenty of urinals. They even have mirrors above them (which at first made no sense to me) and the weirdest flushing levers I've ever seen. The real issue, IMO, is how they are clear biased against short people. I'm almost six feet tall and still had some difficulty.

Billie from Ockham

jimhabegger wrote:My life is all about what I call learning to walk in the path of God...
Neither Google Translate nor Babelfish works for batshit. Can you say what you mean in simple English?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

katamari Damassi wrote:Passed through Midland, TX the other day-childhood home of GW Bush. First off; the place is a dump and the town smells like a fart. Secondly; you can't drink the water there because of groundwater contamination(various chemicals but mostly trichloroethane). The city officials act like the source of this pollution is an unsolvable mystery. And yet the city will likely vote Republican because sticking it to the gays and getting Jesus in schools is more important than safe drinking water. They deserve sick kids.
Weird fucking place. Hundreds of miles from nowhere in the middle of a scorched plain, yet it managed to segregate into two cities -- Midland and Odessa -- a mere 20 miles apart. White collar and blue collar. Better to duplicate infrastructures than let Schlitz mingle with Tanqueray.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Lsuoma wrote:
feathers wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

Wilhelmus van Nassouwe

King of Spain, by Moxy Fruvous.

[youtube]ylaLG-DdT7E[/youtube]

Jian Ghomeshi appears at ca. 3.10.
I was going to ask do you now eat humble pie? But I was :nin:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

feathers wrote:

Wilhelmus van Nassouwe

William of Nassau? King of Spain? That sounded like William of Orange to me. So I just had to go look it up.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Maybe we discussed this when it was originally posted, but it's now part of the Metaphorical Penis blog on the Orbit:
First of all, not all women are capable of getting pregnant. Trans women can’t get pregnant, and a lot of cis women can’t get pregnant because of various health reasons. But they’re still women. Second of all, many non-women can get pregnant, such as trans men, non-binary people, and some intersex people. (Some of whom may or may not identify themselves as women.)

For example, I am a transmasculine person who was capable of getting pregnant before I started hormone therapy. If I were to stop taking T at this point, I would be able to get pregnant again. I would be a trans person who might need access to abortion. My rights would be under attack just as much as those of cis women who are capable of getting pregnant.

Centering our pro-abortion rhetoric around women is inherently erasing of the existence and needs of trans individuals.
I don't disagree that some people who don't identify as women could get pregnant AND want an abortion, but what's the actual percentage? It must be vanishingly, erasingly small, like the metaphorical penis.

Also:
Luxander is a genderqueer/nonbinary trans dude. They identify as pansexual and queer, as an atheist and a feminist, and as a Social Justice Rogue. Lux makes YouTube videos discussing gender, religion, mental illness, and whatever else they find interesting. They also launched a gaming channel this year called Lux Play, and have lofty dreams of someday being a YouTuber and blogger full-time.
Full-time YouTuber and blogger ... look out Rebecca WAtson!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

This is not helpful: do you mean 1,1,1-trichloroethane or 1,1,2-trichloroethane? These things are important.

feathers

Post by feathers »

AndrewV69 wrote:
feathers wrote:

Wilhelmus van Nassouwe

William of Nassau? King of Spain? That sounded like William of Orange to me. So I just had to go look it up.
The King of Spain in question was Philip II.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

feathers wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
feathers wrote:

Wilhelmus van Nassouwe

The King of Spain in question was Philip II.
Wasn't Philip II to the Dutch what George III was to the American colonists?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

BarnOwl wrote:Maybe we discussed this when it was originally posted, but it's now part of the Metaphorical Penis blog on the Orbit:
First of all, not all women are capable of getting pregnant. Trans women can’t get pregnant, and a lot of cis women can’t get pregnant because of various health reasons. But they’re still women. Second of all, many non-women can get pregnant, such as trans men, non-binary people, and some intersex people. (Some of whom may or may not identify themselves as women.)
Isn't this bit the same sort of heresy that got Benson in trouble?
Second of all, many non-women can get pregnant, such as trans men, non-binary people, and some intersex people. (Some of whom may or may not identify themselves as women.)
many non-women [...] (Some of whom may or may [...] identify themselves as women.)
If they identify as women, isn't calling them "non-women" the height of shitlordery?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Not all women can get pregnant but if you can get pregnant you are, biologically, a woman. Doesn't matter what 'gender' you are/identify as.

If you want to maintain the pretence you are a dude don't let another dude put his penis into your vagina without a condom.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hey, I'm off for the weekend, but hate to leave unattended this shitstorm I started over our Lord and Savior Dr. Richard Carrier, PhD's use of Bayesian theory to disprove our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/tippling/2 ... 2575010443

Jan Steen, your honor has been besmirched!

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

No dude ever got pregnant because another dude put his penis into his penis.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Sunder wrote: Isn't this bit the same sort of heresy that got Benson in trouble?
Yes, there's a discussion of Benson's heresy further down in the post.

And as usual, they have backed xirselves into a corner with the terminology. As one does, in SJWland.

Billie from Ockham

Shatterface wrote:If you want to maintain the pretence you are a dude don't let another dude put his penis into your vagina without a condom.
Ah, but do I have to ask Muskrato to wrap the rascal?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

BarnOwl wrote:
Sunder wrote: Isn't this bit the same sort of heresy that got Benson in trouble?

And as usual, they have backed xirselves into a corner with the terminology. As one does, in SJWland.
Transexuals rebranded themselves as transgendered when they adopted the second wave feminist distinction between gender and sex, but now try to subsume sex under gender so sex magically changes when gender does.

The whole men-get-pregnant-too thing is really a power play. I suspect there have been more men on the Moon than have dropped sprogs but everything has to be about the transgendered because they are so special.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Trichloroethane is Tippex thinner. We used to get high on that shit at school. Fun times. Wouldn't want to drink it though.

John D

Post by John D »

jimhabegger wrote:I looked all over for the best place to introduce myself, and it's looking to me now like it's here.

I grew up in Indiana, Illinois and California, and met my wife in Florida. Together we've lived in Florida, Guadeloupe, Fort Wayne, New Jersey, Martinique, Virginia, and now Guilin, China. We have a son living in Shanghai, a daughter living in Quebec city, and five grandchildren.

My wife is teaching English at a university here. Before I retired I worked mostly in computer programming, economic and social research, and landscaping. Since we've been in China I've been doing housework, helping my wife with her teaching, and doing some volunteer work with children.

My life is all about what I call learning to walk in the path of God, and to help spread His love and knowledge. I think in theistic terms, but I see it all as purely metaphorical. I've been on both sides, twice, between thinking of God as real and as not real, and my position now is that I think in theistic terms, which I openly interpret metaphorically, without any conviction one way or another about whether there really is some being outside of time and space that corresponds to the metaphor. I can't even see what consequential meaning it could possibly have, to say that there is or isn't.

My interest in online atheism grew out of my interest in practicing and promoting fellowship, and mutual encouragement and support, across the widest ideological divides. That has always been a passion for me, but in the last few years I've been seeing it as an urgent imperative for me, if I want to help avoid widespread massive killing and destruction all over the world, far worse than anything we've ever heard of before, or at least reduce it.

I started following a Jewish blog, a conservative Christian blog, and an atheist blog, to practice fellowship with them, and to try to learn to encourage and support them in ways that really help. I saw some posts in the atheist blog about A+ and the A+ wars, while they were still raging, and participated for a while in discussions about them, on Freethought Blogs, in the A+ forums, and here in the Slyme Pit forums.

I'm a member of a non-Christian but God-centered religious community, using non-Christian but God-centered scriptures. I disagree with most of the theology and interpretations of the Bible that I see Christian churches promoting, and even with how they use the Bible, but I see my metaphorical God in the Bible and in Jesus, and I don't see my disagreements with Christians as disagreeing with the Bible itself.

One of my special interests is helping to develop and promote some kinds of God-centered community building that I see as good ways of helping to reduce and counteract the ravaging of military and economic warfare and other natural disasters, and helping to build a better world. Another is learning to be a better friend to people in my life, especially to some of the people around me that I see being stigmatized, marginalized and treated cruelly.

In case anyone is curious why I'm posting here, of all places, about God-centered community building, here's the story behind it:

A week or two ago it occurred to me that if I'm going to be commenting continually on a blog, I want to introduce myself, better than I've been doing. The introduction above is mostly the same as what I wrote for the atheist blog. When I got to the part about the Slyme Pit, I started to be curious about what might be happening here these days. I came over to take a look, and started feeling an urge to post here again. There's something in the personality of these forums that appeals to me, which I won't try to explain, even to myself. I might not want to know!

I wanted to post something, but the only excuse I could think of for indulging my impulse to post here, that seemed plausible to me, for my purposes, was to promote the kinds of community building that I see being promoted by the Baha'i Universal House of Justice.
I can see where you are coming from and I honestly find what you are doing to be very interesting. I suspect you have read a bunch of Joseph Campbell. I was into him about 15 years ago. Good stuff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Campbell

The idea that you can build a community around a shared mythology can work. I have hung out with Humanist Jews for example, and they seem pretty happy with their choices.

Personally, I believe our ethics and moral decisions are often based, not on pure logic, but of the history of stories (myths etc.). People naturally build stories and these stories have an almost magical way of nudging our moral decisions.

I have never found an organized group that suited me. Most of these communities use their mythology to over-reach in my opinion. Ultimately a group breaks down into the "normal" group behavior we see everywhere... which include behaviors such as shaming, scapegoating, bullying, and other popularity contests. The only groups I end up enjoying are groups that are focused on an activity. As long as we are having fun engaging in the activity in a genuine way I am happy. In my opinion, all groups that are ethics based end up going to shit.

I really do enjoy reading religious and mythical stuff... Greek myths, the Gita, the Koran, The Book of the Dead...etc. To me, it is all about the story and how it is an example of virtue.

In any case, welcome to the pit. Look forward to your opinions! ....and in true pit tradition (our shared myth if you will)... I will say.... Go fuck yourself!

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Shatterface wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:

Transexuals rebranded themselves as transgendered when they adopted the second wave feminist distinction between gender and sex, but now try to subsume sex under gender so sex magically changes when gender does.

The whole men-get-pregnant-too thing is really a power play. I suspect there have been more men on the Moon than have dropped sprogs but everything has to be about the transgendered because they are so special.
Ask them to visit any Planned Parenthood clinic in America on any random day and I'd be willing to bet my house that 100 percent of the people there for abortion services would be women.

The trans-feminists seem to be about the least tactical branch of feminism ever. Feminists had pretty much already won the abortion argument by declaring it a women's issue that men should have zero say in. Nobody ever gave a damn about fathers' rights arguments. All they had to do was beat that drum indefinitely. Then all of a sudden the transfems decided that ceding this territory was worth it just to spite their TERF-y fellows. Antifeminists couldn't have done it better.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

katamari Damassi wrote:...the town smells like a fart...
Have you been to Rotorua?

ffs

Post by ffs »

jimhabegger wrote:I looked all over for the best place to introduce myself, and it's looking to me now like it's here.

I grew up in Indiana, Illinois and California, and met my wife in Florida. Together we've lived in Florida, Guadeloupe, Fort Wayne, New Jersey, Martinique, Virginia, and now Guilin, China. We have a son living in Shanghai, a daughter living in Quebec city, and five grandchildren.
disgusting

H. Korban

Post by H. Korban »

feathers wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:If a group is made up of people who don't listen to reason and have an authoritarian plan to reshape society according to their ideas (which they assume to be based on unquestionable truths) and if they're willing to use every mean to achieve their goal, reasonable discussion ceases to be the best response. Satire, mockery and the exposure of the group's worst features become useful tools to try and make sure that this group never gets into a position of power.

If this dogmatic, authoritarian group ever gets into a position of power the results are never pretty.
I think he's Baha'i, the single religion that did not manage to piss off the Chinese government enough to get imprisoned. They seem to prefer to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's.
Just to point out that Bahaullah, the founder of Baha'i "religion" was a megalomaniac, a fraud, and a murderous one at that. He appropriated the ideas of the true revolutionary and genius, Syed Ali Mohammed Shirazi (The Bab), and on the latter's death, proceeded to kill off all those who opposed him. In fact, Baha'is have always supported colonial and dictatorial governments. They opposed the Iranian Constitutional Revolution, and were active collaborators in British colonial projects. Of course, the ordinary Baha'i probably is clueless about this, specially the western white converts, as they rarely understand the complexities of Shi'a Islam in the late 19th century (from which The Bab sprung), and the deviousness of their founder, and the collusion of the Universal House of "Justice" with dictators, colonialist and assorted anti-democratic leaders.

Incidentally, if the Baha'is were to get into power, they would be as authoritarian as any other religious group, with a dictatorial theocracy imposed from the top. Of course, this is not immediately obvious from the propaganda machinery of the Baha'is, but there have been many prominent people who left Baha'ism when they realized this. Juan Cole is one of them, He said:
Juan Cole wrote: He [Juan Cole] continued, however, with his studies of Buddhism and Sufi Islam, and was always a fish out of water in the often cult-like and anti-intellectual Baha’i community. Individual Baha’is and families were often very kind to him, and he is grateful to them and respects their beliefs. But it ultimately wasn’t for him. It gradually became apparent that most Baha’is do not actually believe in the equality of women and men, excluding women from their elective highest body, the Universal House of Justice, and holding that women have a different function in society than men. Then it gradually became apparent that whatever they privately believed about racism, they were unwilling to take a political stand, as quietists, against Apartheid. Then it became clear that they are no more religious pluralists than Roman Catholics or Muslims, admitting partial truth in other traditions, but insisting that only in their own tradition is the fullness of the contemporary truth manifest. Then it became clear that the Baha’i authorities were not exactly pacifists. The top leadership has a secret cult-like belief in a Baha’i theocracy that will rule the world, rather on the same model as the theory of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini that Muslim clergy should replace civil governments globally.
Another prominent "escapee" from this cult is Frederick Glaysher, a poet and author. His views on the fanaticism which infests the top leadership of the Baha'is are interesting, so is the convincing expose which he (and others) have carried on to show how the Baha'i propaganda machine supports colonialist and dictatorial causes.

In any case, jimhabegger seems a pleasant enough chap. Deluded about Bahaullah, but still a nice enough dude.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Second wavers and TERFs also seem to be too stubborn to attempt to reframe the abortion argument as a "people who can get pregnant" issue. Possibly because that sounds too cumbersome, but likely because it would be giving ground to transfems, and also spitting in the face of post-menopausal women. Not to mention that given average age of politicians in general most Congresswomen are like post-menopause, which undercuts their whole argument about these lady issues being decided by people who aren't directly affected.

feathers

Post by feathers »

jimthepleb wrote:
Trichloroethane is Tippex thinner. We used to get high on that shit at school. Fun times. Wouldn't want to drink it though.
That is 1,1,1,- if I recall correctly. 1,1,2 is a suspected carcinogen.

Tippex dissolver is perfect for taking out wasps mid-flight with a single whiff.
</experimental data>

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

RW just posted about her Quizotron...today at 3pm.
I am sure it will be a blast.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Basically, though I'm broadly antifeminist, the abortion issue was one area where I didn't really care to challenge the 2nd wave status quo. Even with dunces like the Hordelets making some of the worst pro-abortion arguments one could imagine, I still thought the good of an unqualified pro-choice position outweighed the bad.

But of course I just realized that if the transfems weren't intent on throwing it away, 2nd wavers flying the "fetus as parasite" flag would be doing it instead. Once again the real culprit behind lack of tactical mindset is the obsessive need to virtue signal.

H. Korban

Post by H. Korban »

About the LHC results. Its hard to say what to make of it. The original idea was that LHC had detected a new particle, about 750x times heavier than the proton. However, the Guardian article is a bit hyped up, as most of these popular articles are. It seems everything is just about to change everything we know about everything and things will be so much more wonderful now. In reality, particle physics is well worked out for a long time now, and all these results simple confirm what we already know, at least on paper. Everyone likes to think new data will prove some aspects of it inaccurate and prove their own pet ideas correct. It remains to be seen.

Incidentally, I find particle physics and all the hoopla around it very strange. In some ways it shows the obsession for looking for "elusive" things, however abstract and useless they may really be. This in itself is not a problem, but I believe this happens at the expense of far more useful but less glamorous things. Gravity interests me far more. Of course, it one really wants to work on a hard problem, which will have a true civilization changing impact, one should work on nuclear fusion as a particle source of almost unlimited energy. It makes putting a man on Mars look like child's play. Doable, but only if we are not distracted.

feathers

Post by feathers »

H. Korban wrote:Incidentally, I find particle physics and all the hoopla around it very strange. In some ways it shows the obsession for looking for "elusive" things, however abstract and useless they may really be. This in itself is not a problem, but I believe this happens at the expense of far more useful but less glamorous things. Gravity interests me far more. Of course, it one really wants to work on a hard problem, which will have a true civilization changing impact, one should work on nuclear fusion as a particle source of almost unlimited energy. It makes putting a man on Mars look like child's play. Doable, but only if we are not distracted.
I'm particularly interested in antigravity. I want to fly, fly! :angelic-whiteflying: :angelic-whiteflying: :angelic-whiteflying:

And thanks for dispelling my trust in the relative normalcy of Baha'i.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

I always go back to the argument Sagan made in his "Maxwell and the Nerds" essay. It's impossible to predict in advance where the next fruitful practical field might arise and it's always worth devoting a small fraction of our efforts to pure research with no defined practical purpose. Maybe fusion power will only be possible with knowledge yet to be gleaned from the HFC.

If you want a modern example post-Sagan, compare the efforts of the entire discipline of oncology, dedicated to researching and combating cancer, to the sheer impact of the Human Genome Project.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

HoneyWagon wrote:RW just posted about her Quizotron...today at 3pm.
& half of CalTech
A ridiculous claim. Even if "half of CalTech" were at SVCC, they wouldn't all be at Quizotron. What a poser.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Trich! At least you can do your dry cleaning at the kitchen sink.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Shatterface wrote:No dude ever got pregnant because another dude put his penis into his penis.
Docking: look if you dare.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWx7BBgWUAENQnr.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

feathers wrote:
H. Korban wrote:Incidentally, I find particle physics and all the hoopla around it very strange. In some ways it shows the obsession for looking for "elusive" things, however abstract and useless they may really be. This in itself is not a problem, but I believe this happens at the expense of far more useful but less glamorous things. Gravity interests me far more. Of course, it one really wants to work on a hard problem, which will have a true civilization changing impact, one should work on nuclear fusion as a particle source of almost unlimited energy. It makes putting a man on Mars look like child's play. Doable, but only if we are not distracted.
I'm particularly interested in antigravity. I want to fly, fly! :angelic-whiteflying: :angelic-whiteflying: :angelic-whiteflying:

And thanks for dispelling my trust in the relative normalcy of Baha'i.
[youtube]f1oMhMwUbgc[/youtube]

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Steersman wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:I hope for no evil to befall danielle. And when I consider his gender confusion and attempted transition, I am filled with equal measure sadness and mirth.

So shoot me.
Only if I catch you breaking into my home. In Florida. ;-)
You're in Florida? ;)

Good news!

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Whenever I catch myself doing something like use 'she/her' out of politeness toward a man in a dress, or other clear entertainment of fiction as fact, my mind inevitably flashes to this 1955 cartoon scane in "Hare Brush" in which a wealthy Elmer Fudd believes himself to be Bugs Bunny, and Bugs is convinced he is Elmer via the hypnotic mantra "I am Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht."

[youtube]j7dCTwlAI8Y[/youtube]

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

So what the hell type of quiz is Quizotron? Trivia? Pop sci? I can't imagine it's anything even approaching academic.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

She sure seems OK with perpetuating the stereotype about her...

Billie from Ockham

Sunder wrote:Ask them to visit any Planned Parenthood clinic in America on any random day and I'd be willing to bet my house that 100 percent of the people there for abortion services would be women.
Hey, Lsuoma! Next time you need your rectal polyps cleaned out, schedule it as a D&C at your local Planned Parenthood and get a free house.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

H. Korban wrote:Incidentally, I find particle physics and all the hoopla around it very strange. In some ways it shows the obsession for looking for "elusive" things, however abstract and useless they may really be. This in itself is not a problem, but I believe this happens at the expense of far more useful but less glamorous things. Gravity interests me far more.
Aren't they different ways of looking for the same thing? Astronomers searching for gravity waves, particle physicists looking for gravitons?

Why do you think gravity is more useful to understand than the Higgs mechanism? It's the weakest force and I doubt it will have the practical applications of electromagnetism or the strong or weak nuclear forces. Beyond satellites for communication and GPS what utility has it?

Is it going to give us hoverboards?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Quizotron appears to be the height of her profession at this point.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Sunder wrote:Ask them to visit any Planned Parenthood clinic in America on any random day and I'd be willing to bet my house that 100 percent of the people there for abortion services would be women.
Hey, Lsuoma! Next time you need your rectal polyps cleaned out, schedule it as a D&C at your local Planned Parenthood and get a free house.
I emphasized random. No stacking the dick. I mean girlcock. I mean deck.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Kirbmarc wrote:If you don't mind my asking, what is your "god" idea a metaphor of? Do you use "god" to mean something like "the a-priori foundation of morals and ethics" or more something along the lines of "a sense of community"? Or something else entirely?
Sometimes my God, in Himself, is not a metaphor for anything at all. In the metaphors He's a lot of the usual things: creator and sustainer of the universe, king, and father, for example, but in that sense, as I said, I don't have any conviction about whether or not that corresponds to anything apart from the metaphors themselves, and it doesn't matter for my purposes. In fact, I'm reasonably sure that there is not any such being as anything that anyone could imagine, that I would call God. Other times He's a metaphor for some human characters in my mythology, including Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, the Bab and Baha'u'llah, considered as appearances of one and the same Person.
Satire, mockery and the exposure of the group's worst features become useful tools to try and make sure that this group never gets into a position of power.
I have some doubts about that, but I'm not here to discuss that, this time.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

deLurch wrote:
Quizotron appears to be the height of her profession at this point.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

jimhabegger wrote:
Satire, mockery and the exposure of the group's worst features become useful tools to try and make sure that this group never gets into a position of power.
I have some doubts about that, but I'm not here to discuss that, this time.
You have to appreciate a pro-Trump supporter.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

jimhabegger wrote: Sometimes my God, in Himself, is not a metaphor for anything at all. In the metaphors He's a lot of the usual things: creator and sustainer of the universe, king, and father, for example, but in that sense, as I said, I don't have any conviction about whether or not that corresponds to anything apart from the metaphors themselves, and it doesn't matter for my purposes. In fact, I'm reasonably sure that there is not any such being as anything that anyone could imagine, that I would call God. Other times He's a metaphor for some human characters in my mythology, including Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, the Bab and Baha'u'llah, considered as appearances of one and the same Person.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Hey, I'm off for the weekend, but hate to leave unattended this shitstorm I started over our Lord and Savior Dr. Richard Carrier, PhD's use of Bayesian theory to disprove our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/tippling/2 ... 2575010443

Jan Steen, your honor has been besmirched!
O, the horror.
Ignorant Amos wrote:I offered counter material to that arse Jan Steen who has a hard-on for slagging off Carrier and is bias about his work...all ad homs on both parts aside.

You pointed to Jan Steen's slymepit blog, a guy who I've had a run in with at that tit John McGrath's blog "Exploring the Matrix", he is a nasty piece of work and his dislike of Carrier as a person has clouded his judgement of his work.
Typical SJW comment: 100% feelz and innuendo and no arguments. Exactly what you can expect from a Carrier fanboy.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

VickyCaramel said:
Well in that case I don't know what you tried to imply. Unless you are arguing that there is actually some sensible justification for a life of crime, and other than starvation here is good reason to be breaking into old ladies homes, then i really don't know what your point is.
I think it's quite possible that, given the state of the world, there very well might be a sensible argument for being a thief. Maybe. But that would be a long discussion with a lot of back and forth.
To me it looks like you are arguing for the sake of arguing.
I might be to some degree; I do tend to do that sometimes, or at least to have that as a sort of partial component of my blather. So to speak.
It seems to me like the system of law and order has broken down and you can expect no justice from the justice system.
Actually, I think there is a great deal of truth to that statement. Also, there is some specualtion that what counts as actual persuable crime (crime that police actually look into, and courts actually judge and punish for) is now mostly determined by insurance companies, not by police or government. Personally, I seriously think the world is in the early stages of total collapse into a sort of two-calass dystopia as portrayed in some of William Gibson's novels. A world wide state of the super-rich 5% or so, and the super-poor as the rest of us.
...so the only sensible thing to do is buy yourself a gun and shoot the little cunts in the face. I'd sleep well knowing I'd done a public service.
Well, I don't know about that. Personally, while I like what few possessions I have, I cannot think that any of them are actually worth someone's life. That's just a bit too Dark Ages for me; I just don't think that way.
Please don't tell me that not all Canadians can afford guns, I am no longer interested in this subject.
Well, they can't, I certainly can't, but that's besides the point. Guns aren't exactly legal up here.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
jimhabegger wrote:My life is all about what I call learning to walk in the path of God...
Neither Google Translate nor Babelfish works for batshit. Can you say what you mean in simple English?
You mean, what I mean by "walk in the path of God"? Roughly, what I mean by it is trying to learn to follow Baha'u'llah, or one of the other characters that He calls "Manifestations of God". Part of my way of doing that is studying Baha'i scriptures, trying to learn to love Him more, and to better understand His purposes and prescriptions and put them into practice.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

jimhabegger wrote: Sometimes my God, in Himself, is not a metaphor for anything at all. In the metaphors He's a lot of the usual things: creator and sustainer of the universe, king, and father, for example, but in that sense, as I said, I don't have any conviction about whether or not that corresponds to anything apart from the metaphors themselves, and it doesn't matter for my purposes. In fact, I'm reasonably sure that there is not any such being as anything that anyone could imagine, that I would call God. Other times He's a metaphor for some human characters in my mythology, including Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, the Bab and Baha'u'llah, considered as appearances of one and the same Person.
https://media.giphy.com/media/L29fiOMSDhhvi/giphy.gif

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

And my reply to Ignorant Amos has disappeared. Apparently, Aaron Adair (Blog: A Tippling Philosopher) is another dishonest scumbag who can safely be ignored.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Jan Steen wrote:And my reply to Ignorant Amos has disappeared. Apparently, Aaron Adair (Blog: A Tippling Philosopher) is another dishonest scumbag who can safely be ignored.
Aaron is a guest blogger. That's Johno Pearce's blog.