The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Ape+lust »

Kirbmarc wrote:The Orbit has already gone full Atheism Plus forum. (archive link).
Well, they invited the bridge-burner. They'll just have to keep smiling while she torches everything. Hope she does Zvan soon.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Shatterface wrote:Carrier's not so much a soldier left behind defending a strategically important hill as a dead legionnaire propped up on a fort's ramparts to give the impression it hasn't yet been abandoned.
If that's a jest, it is beau. :cdc:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

If anyone cares (and I do think it would be useful to have an agreed-upon hashtag for the Orbit folk), I've created a thread where people can put their Orbit hashtag suggestions. After a few days I'll put them all in a poll and we can elect the winner. Or, just tell me to fuck off.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=488

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Lsuoma wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:The Orbit has already gone full Atheism Plus forum. (archive link).

<Snip>
Sorry, no can not use Mongoloid - my Devo tribute band's bookings would collapse. So soz.
Is the use of that word even an issue anymore? I don't remember the last time I heard someone say Mongoloid. That's like saying we shouldn't be calling people rapscallions.

Jack Wooster

Post by Jack Wooster »

Gumby wrote:Actually, after reading that stupid blog post, maybe #Orbitards is the proper hashtag. Fucking idiots.

For what it's worth I like #Orbitards

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Cnutella wrote:
We can argue until the cows come home about whether there is something inherently bad with any of those things, so I will just summarize with unless you are any of these things you don’t get to have an opinion on it, end of story, but ultimately that it irrelevant.
And yet all these people have very strong opinions regarding men, particularly the cishet, white variety.
That's punching up! White cis het neurotypical physically able males are The Privilege personified. Fuck them into ground.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ has a post up for his wedding anniversary. He looked like he was a nice lad. If only you could go back and warn him.
Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision, rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

http://i.imgur.com/HxHI4xG.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote:I'm convinced the majority of commenters over there are deep cover pitizens, and nothing will change my mind about that.
I plead the fifth. ;)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

#Orbitears

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

This is a life and death matter. The cultural perception of my abilities directly impacts my ability to access care. The more people perpetuate this idea that disability equals incompetence, the harder it is to have doctors take me seriously when I say that something is wrong. The easier it is to excuse the horrible treatment of disabled children who are made to endure torturous treatments and have their bodily autonomy violated on a regular basis. The easier it is to ignore that 80% of people with disabilities will be sexually assaulted at some point in their lives. The easier it is to ignore that disabled children and even adults are murdered and abused by their caretakers. That people with disabilities are sterilized against their will, and that genocide against people with certain disabilities is given the clinical sounding name of eugenics. When you suggest eradicating people of a certain type by sterilizing those who fall in its category and aborting pregnancies that belong to that type, what else is it but genocide?

Really? That's as wonky as the 1 in 5 claim. It looks like this little SJW mine could hold a few lulz-rich seams :popcorn:

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I like #freefallblogs.

It's rom a related branch of physics, suggests plummeting readership or other failure, and sounds enough like FreeThoughtBlogs to remind people where this bunch came from.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

This is a life and death matter. The cultural perception of my abilities directly impacts my ability to access care. The more people perpetuate this idea that disability equals incompetence, the harder it is to have doctors take me seriously when I say that something is wrong. The easier it is to excuse the horrible treatment of disabled children who are made to endure torturous treatments and have their bodily autonomy violated on a regular basis. The easier it is to ignore that 80% of people with disabilities will be sexually assaulted at some point in their lives. The easier it is to ignore that disabled children and even adults are murdered and abused by their caretakers. That people with disabilities are sterilized against their will, and that genocide against people with certain disabilities is given the clinical sounding name of eugenics. When you suggest eradicating people of a certain type by sterilizing those who fall in its category and aborting pregnancies that belong to that type, what else is it but genocide?
One more time...

[youtube]kFnFr-DOPf8[/youtube]

(Although interestingly, is this an anti-abortion opinion? And they're not up before the inquisition yet?)

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Nope, just checked the author's bio, and she claims to be pro-choice. But if aborting pregnancies of one sort is genocide, how can aborting pregnancies of other sorts not be murder? I suppose she thinks it's "aborting up", or something similarly retarded.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ has a post up for his wedding anniversary. He looked like he was a nice lad. If only you could go back and warn him.
You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

How dare he?
How_Dare_He.jpg
(141.34 KiB) Downloaded 289 times

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Shatterface wrote:I like #freefallblogs.

It's rom a related branch of physics, suggests plummeting readership or other failure, and sounds enough like FreeThoughtBlogs to remind people where this bunch came from.
I added it to the list.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

paddybrown wrote:Nope, just checked the author's bio, and she claims to be pro-choice. But if aborting pregnancies of one sort is genocide, how can aborting pregnancies of other sorts not be murder? I suppose she thinks it's "aborting up", or something similarly retarded.
Pro-lifers should play the SJW politics and declare all abortions to be genocides of possibly neuroatypical persons.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Because we all know that if Carrier had the time, he'd be, like, totally in on everything and stuff. It's totally not like they're intentionally excluding him because they think he's totally a fucking idiot.

Totally.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Awesome shoop Screwtape!

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

paddybrown wrote:Nope, just checked the author's bio, and she claims to be pro-choice. But if aborting pregnancies of one sort is genocide, how can aborting pregnancies of other sorts not be murder? I suppose she thinks it's "aborting up", or something similarly retarded.
I made a similar point. Most women who discover they are carrying a Downs kid choose to abort. They are taking that choice precisely because the foetus has Downs Syndrome.

Not surprisingly my comment is in moderation.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Cnutella wrote:Greta Christina does obeisance for using the term "stupid" and insanely rigid" in two articles she wrote back in 2010, when she was less enlightened.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160316181 ... -language/

Now I've spent some time looking around, I am certain at least a couple of the Orbit bloggers are definitely High Drama Risks. I imagine it's only a matter of time before in-fighting begins.
So two things I noticed.

The about author section was about as long as the blog post.

She has not updated her picture to the current chucky version.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Pro-lifers should play the SJW politics and declare all abortions to be genocides of possibly neuroatypical persons.
Isn't 'Black genocide' part of Black Panther ideology? That abortion is a tool of White Supremacy?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

piginthecity wrote:
HoneyWagon wrote:Trying to catch up with all the pit posts.
Has anyone come up yet with a nice hashtag to honor "The Orbit" a la #ftbullies?
Since so many have moved...I think it will be needed.
It's not very catchy but I propose #FFPZTB Standing, of course, for "Free From Pee Zee's Thoughts Blogs". I know that my suggestion is not properly thought through, but then again neither is the orbit.
#SubOrbitTools

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gumby wrote:
Because we all know that if Carrier had the time, he'd be, like, totally in on everything and stuff. It's totally not like they're intentionally excluding him because they think he's totally a fucking idiot.

Totally.
Also, I love how Carrier pretending that this whole Orbit thing was some sort of masterfully executed plan, as opposed to a bunch of bloggers stalking off in a huff because they finally figured out PZ's an asshole.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

The easier it is to ignore that 80% of people with disabilities will be sexually assaulted at some point in their lives.
Way to take one for the team, people with disabilities! Although why not go all the way to 100% and give the women at my university some time off?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Oglebart wrote:

Really? That's as wonky as the 1 in 5 claim. It looks like this little SJW mine could hold a few lulz-rich seams :popcorn:
'Tard poon is best poon.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ has a post up for his wedding anniversary. He looked like he was a nice lad. If only you could go back and warn him.

Christ, he's had that fucking beard since he was 12.

Looks like someone a redneck Harry Potter, or someone from the nonce-wing of Azkhaban.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I'm definitely going to write a novel called The Nonce-Wing of Azkaban.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface wrote:

Christ, he's had that fucking beard since he was 12.

Looks like someone a redneck Harry Potter, or someone from the nonce-wing of Azkhaban.
He has some puddy lips.....

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

#FtBOrbituary

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Gumby wrote:Also, I love how Carrier pretending that this whole Orbit thing was some sort of masterfully executed plan, as opposed to a bunch of bloggers stalking off in a huff because they finally figured out PZ's an asshole.
They couldn't stand PZ & Carrier. Patheos wouldn't take them. The only option left was to create their own blog network.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

deLurch wrote:
Gumby wrote:Also, I love how Carrier pretending that this whole Orbit thing was some sort of masterfully executed plan, as opposed to a bunch of bloggers stalking off in a huff because they finally figured out PZ's an asshole.
They couldn't stand PZ & Carrier. Patheos wouldn't take them. The only option left was to create their own blog network.
I'm of the opinion these people think Myers is a bit too woolly for them, rather than too much of an asshole.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

screwtape wrote:

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/HxHI4xG.jpg[/img]
How dare he?
How_Dare_He.jpg
Ha! Cool. "Time" in particular and "Dark side of the Moon" in general could correlate closely with Morris Mn.

Stout

Post by Stout »

Tigzy wrote:
TBH, I'm beginning to wonder the same about some of the bloggers there.
Nah, I've seen it all before, it's the real thing that might even turn out to be more entertaining and useful that A+

Why not 10 minutes ago I had to link to The Orbit to properly instruct some garden variety liberal who thinks they know social justice on the use of "oppressive" words like idiot and lunatic. Greta's apology came in very handy there.

Speaking of A+ It looks like they've abandoned the block bot and it's still out there, running free. Maybe somebody, somewhere has a leash on it but if you're looking to appeal your inclusion on the blockbot the instructions to go to the A+ forms won't give you any recourse.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

You can't even troll these fuckers....

http://i.imgur.com/IZRNnGj.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

With a relentless energy ...... :)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

deLurch wrote:
Carrier made a point of saying there had been no back channel chatter. Not "I'll check to see ".

I wonder if he is as free wheeling with his source material when he has his "independent academic" hat on?

Bloodless battles and bloody training and all that.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

If Steersman were to verify that Dr Richard Carrier PhD should be allowed to remain in the US, would that count as an example of pee-er review?

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Tigzy wrote:Kirb - did you check the comments to that piece? Look at this:
Eli
August 26, 2015 at 10:13 am Reply

“We as a society have proven that we are incredibly poor judges…”

Don’t you think that this type of language is classist? That is, if “crazy” and “dumb” perpetuate harmful and inaccurate attitudes about people with disabilities, don’t you think that your usage of “poor” perpetuates harmful and inaccurate attitudes about people who struggle to make ends meet?

If so, could you maybe stop using the word “poor” in this way?
Ania Onion Cebulla
August 26, 2015 at 11:31 am Reply

You know, I hadn’t considered that. I will make the edits in the post and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
This is for real. This is most emphatically not a parody.

Oh, and yeah - 'Orbitches' gets my vote too. Frankly, given what we've seen already, pretty much any term is gonna be offensive to them, so in for a penny in for a pound I say.
LMAO. What word do they want instead of poor, ungood? Bad seems kind of harsh, you might need a trigger warning for that one. Jesus fuck, it didn't take these people long to find the self parody point at all.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote:Carrier made a point of saying there had been no back channel chatter. Not "I'll check to see ".
There was no back channel chatter that he could see because he was one of the ones not invited.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Tigzy wrote:Kirb - did you check the comments to that piece? Look at this:
Eli
August 26, 2015 at 10:13 am Reply

“We as a society have proven that we are incredibly poor judges…”

Don’t you think that this type of language is classist? That is, if “crazy” and “dumb” perpetuate harmful and inaccurate attitudes about people with disabilities, don’t you think that your usage of “poor” perpetuates harmful and inaccurate attitudes about people who struggle to make ends meet?

If so, could you maybe stop using the word “poor” in this way?
Ania Onion Cebulla
August 26, 2015 at 11:31 am Reply

You know, I hadn’t considered that. I will make the edits in the post and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
This is for real. This is most emphatically not a parody.

Oh, and yeah - 'Orbitches' gets my vote too. Frankly, given what we've seen already, pretty much any term is gonna be offensive to them, so in for a penny in for a pound I say.
How about Orbints, UK sexism is the best sexism. :dance:

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

There is nothing more ableist than banning simple words in favour of words that may not be in a uneducated person's vocabulary.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

With Orbit and all the new FTB blogs, isn't it going to be like Skepticon where most of the people reading the blogs will be other bloggers (and commenting from their own blogs).

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Also some of the new Orbit bloggers are supposed to be from Patheos. I thought that Patheos was the plum place to be for a blogger. Why would they leave? Or are they just republishing their Pathoes stuff.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Xenu wrote:There is nothing more ableist than banning simple words in favour of words that may not be in a uneducated person's vocabulary.
I can understand crazy, but stupid, dumb and idiot are so far removed from their original meanings.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Michael J wrote:Also some of the new Orbit bloggers are supposed to be from Patheos. I thought that Patheos was the plum place to be for a blogger. Why would they leave? Or are they just republishing their Pathoes stuff.

Patheos is big, Orbit is not. It could make sense to go to a place where you are more likely to be seen if you are still making your name.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

comhcinc wrote:
Cnutella wrote:Greta Christina does obeisance for using the term "stupid" and insanely rigid" in two articles she wrote back in 2010, when she was less enlightened.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160316181 ... -language/

Now I've spent some time looking around, I am certain at least a couple of the Orbit bloggers are definitely High Drama Risks. I imagine it's only a matter of time before in-fighting begins.
So two things I noticed.

The about author section was about as long as the blog post.

She has not updated her picture to the current chucky version.
"Hi. I'm Greta. Welcome to The Orbit."
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... d8e24f.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

deLurch wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Carrier made a point of saying there had been no back channel chatter. Not "I'll check to see ".
There was no back channel chatter that he could see because he was one of the ones not invited.
In this case "back channels all the way down"

But I do love his capacity for self belief in his own fantasies.

"There it was, I was just too busy to participate, but when I raised my head from research, Lo! It was a work of wonder."

Meanwhile Black Skeptic and Alex still don't have an Orbit post ready. They have only had about 4 months to stockpile a couple of momentum building zingers.

I suggest Alex is more interested in flying his white on black flag at Peez than actual activism.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I've added three options to the thread:

#FTB Orbiters (never forget)
#The Orbeese (Orbit + Geese, with a hint of obesity)
#Misandrists & Regressive Activiists - or #MRA for short

others are updating it live as we speak

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=488&p=346843#p346843

feathers

Post by feathers »

MarcusAu wrote:
HoneyWagon wrote:Trying to catch up with all the pit posts.
Has anyone come up yet with a nice hashtag to honor "The Orbit" a la #ftbullies?
Since so many have moved...I think it will be needed.
Is Orbitches too gendered?
Orbots?
Sorebits?
Orbitals?
Orbitters?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Morbits.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

nb there is an acronym for ORBIT (established 1995) already in use:

Organic Recovery and Biological Treatment

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Organic-Re ... IT%29.html

in other words - Sub-Human Garbage! (or C.H.U.D if you prefer).

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Kirbmarc wrote:
When you think about it, hundreds of thousands of abortions are carried out due to the sex of the baby, all those babies are female. So a literal holocaust of dead baby girls, gee, thanks feminism. Emotive language deliberate because, fuck feminism.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Cnutella wrote: Now I've spent some time looking around, I am certain at least a couple of the Orbit bloggers are definitely High Drama Risks. I imagine it's only a matter of time before in-fighting begins.
It's bound to happen.

The A+ forums should have been a warning sign that the combination of mental fragility and unfettered idealogical zeal isn't the best recipe for a vibrant community. They'll police themselves into silence/banality eventually.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Orpitters

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Old_ones wrote: LMAO. What word do they want instead of poor, ungood? Bad seems kind of harsh, you might need a trigger warning for that one. Jesus fuck, it didn't take these people long to find the self parody point at all.
Fiscally disadvantaged perhaps?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

feathers wrote: Orbitters?
I think this one is a winner

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

The problem with Orbit is the same problem that FTB had. If you have a lot of contributors you need a curated front page not just dump links to the latest posts. This doesn't have to be tedious and can be semi automated (Most popular etc) posts. Most CMS software have free themes that can do this.

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Orbitters, left wingin' bitter clingin' PROUD clingers of our Social Justice, our Social Sciences, AND our Surlys